PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall's contract

Vis
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
He's unrestricted at the end of the season. I don't believe he will receive an offer for the Steelers. What say ye?

teegre
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I liken it to the Wallace situation.

I foresee him getting a decent offer, but he could get a lot more elsewhere. Redman and/or Dwyer could take his place (not that they are better, but simply, they would be more cost effective). Plus, there is Batch (who is "eh") and Rainey (who is good, but small). Lastly, Haley likes the "RB by committee" approach... which means that he'd rather have three or four good RBs than one great RB.

In the end, the decision will be Droppy's:
Sign for less money.
Go elsewhere for more.

Vis
11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I liken it to the Wallace situation.

I foresee him getting a decent offer, but he could get a lot more elsewhere. Redman and/or Dwyer could take his place (not that they are better, but simply, they would be more cost effective). Plus, there is Batch (who is "eh") and Rainey (who is good, but small). Lastly, Haley likes the "RB by committee" approach... which means that he'd rather have three or four good RBs than one great RB.

In the end, the decision will be Droppy's:
Sign for less money.
Go elsewhere for more.

I don't think he'll get any offer in Pittsburgh and he'll sign for a modest amount in Indy or Buf.

teegre
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think he'll get any offer in Pittsburgh and he'll sign for a modest amount in Indy or Buf.

INDY would be my guess. Arians loves former Steelers... and they need a RB.

Solak
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I say no way. We need to save money where we can. With the showing by Redman and Dwyer I think this is a spot we could save.

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Pittsburgh Midwest...

teegre
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Pittsburgh Midwest...

Absolutely.

Vis
11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
It depends on who the new HC and GM are in KC.

TheVet
11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Redman has clearly been the better back for a solid two years now, and I think Dwyer has shown the potential to be as good as Redman - or even better. Both Dwyer and Redman can make something happen from nothing, and we all know that Mendenhall is weak in that respect. And then there's the indecisiveness, and the fumbling problems.

It's hard to see why the Steelers would pay much for Mendy. It's just a #1 pick that didn't really work out as expected. Given his injuries, it may turn out that he's very cheap, so he might linger around. But I hope we just move on.

WVABE
11-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Adios, probably Indy or AZ.

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 03:41 PM
i hope we keep him. i always said under the right OC he will be a prime time player, and I'm sticking with that.

jjpro11
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
i hope we keep him. i always said under the right OC he will be a prime time player, and I'm sticking with that.

Add in a solid run blocking oline, and he'd probably be a Pro Bowler. It's a shame he's injured while all that has finally fallen into place. Hopefully he can get healthy enough soon to take advantage of the opportunity.

steelersforever58
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Agree completely. Give him the opportunity to run outside more, catch more passes out of the backfield.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Didnt Mendenhall say publicly that he prefers running behind a FB.......not in Indy.

I will bet he gets a reasonable offer from the Steelers and stays with the team. They recognize he is still a young back coming into his prime and his 3 year numbers before the injury were almost as much as Ray Rice.

That said, a guy coming off an ACL injury I say will get something like a 4 year $14million offer.

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
That said, a guy coming off an ACL injury I say will get something like a 4 year $14million offer.

thats a good number. i will say his agent will cite his youth and being stunted by arians system and try to squeeze out $5 mil/year. atleast $12 mil for 3 yrs with $6-7 mil guaranteed (chance to prove he's the real deal and get another big payday before turning 30).

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
thats a good number. i will say his agent will cite his youth and being stunted by arians system and try to squeeze out $5 mil/year. atleast $12 mil for 3 yrs with $6-7 mil guaranteed (chance to prove he's the real deal and get another big payday before turning 30).

True...I think Fred Jackson got 3 year $11million, so maybe by next year they will try and get 3 year $12million or 4 for $16. I think he has similar value to Fred Jackson IMO.

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
good comparrisson.

...oh, and i totally agree that he would tell the colts and arians to get bent.

TheVet
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM
To me, 4 yr. $14mil sounds way too high. Running back isn't an area of weakness for this team, and this guy hasn't really lived up to expectations.

Plus he thinks that t "Twitter" means you need to show the world that you're a twit. I'd rather enjoy laughing at this guy that have to root for him....

TRH
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
its become apparent in the last few years that a premier back isn't all that important (although i'm still under the belief that Mendenhall isn't among the league's elite anyway....).
So he may get a decent offer, but thats likely about it...who knows.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
He can dance on the Dancing with the stars.

I'm sure we can find some other fool who can tweet like him. He will not be missed and the money can be used elsewhere.

Rotorhead
11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I have always thought that given the right system (the one we have now) he could be an absolute monster in the backfield. BA just killed his stats. While I think Redman is great and he was the best option under BA if Mendy gets 100% the last couple games and into the playoffs he will be a major factor in our games. It saddens me to think what he could have done behind this line and blocking scheme as he is more talented than both Redman and Dwyer. Although Redman has that amazing knack of keeping his feet which is why he is my fav back. Anyway, if Mendy can perform like I think he can late this season he will be back in the Burgh and we will trade Dwyer or Redman (I hope not).

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 05:27 PM
he's dangerous in open space, good receiver out of the backfield, and is excellent at picking up the blitz. he's a bigger and faster version of brian westbrook in terms of overall skillset

SteelersCanada
11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
It comes down to keeping Mendenhall or Wallace. Throw in the fact that this is Sanders' contract year, and I think our only option is to let him go. Keeping Brown, Wallace and Sanders together for Roethlisberger needs to be a greater priority than keeping Rashard. Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, but the chemistry that those three have is invaluable.

maddog78
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I say no way. We need to save money where we can. With the showing by Redman and Dwyer I think this is a spot we could save.

This. No hard feelings to Mendy, but RBs average 4 years in a career, and he's five in with a bum wheel, and we got plenty behind him.

steeltheone
11-06-2012, 02:54 AM
It comes down to keeping Mendenhall or Wallace. Throw in the fact that this is Sanders' contract year, and I think our only option is to let him go. Keeping Brown, Wallace and Sanders together for Roethlisberger needs to be a greater priority than keeping Rashard. Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, but the chemistry that those three have is invaluable.

Dink and dunk wideouts are a dime a dozen too...We just beat the Giants with Crotch and Sanders and finally wallace showing up for a play or 2.

Rick5895
11-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Dink and dunk wideouts are a dime a dozen too...We just beat the Giants with Crotch and Sanders and finally wallace showing up for a play or 2.

The game changed on Wallaces 4 yard catch turned into a 51 yard TD because of pure speed. I am no great fan of Wallace and his seemingly indifferent attitude this season, but if it's possible to keep the three of them together (Wallace Brown Sanders)(oh BTW IMO Sanders is a must sign) we should. We appear to be very deep at RB with Dwyer, Redman and Rainey, and don't forget Batch. We also have to keep in mind that Dwyer and Redman are restricted FA I believe (at least Dwyer is) at seasons end.

steelfury02
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm indifferent to Wallace anymore. If he helps us score more this season - great. If he is gone - I won't lose any sleep over it. The Steelers success doesn't hinge on 1 receiver.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm indifferent to Wallace anymore. If he helps us score more this season - great. If he is gone - I won't lose any sleep over it. The Steelers success doesn't hinge on 1 receiver.

Funny how an offense that can run the football, uses Heath Miller in the passing game and doesnt rely on slow developing deep passes can change things huh?

Glad I trusted the front office to let Arians "retire".

Fire Arians
11-06-2012, 11:27 AM
The game changed on Wallaces 4 yard catch turned into a 51 yard TD because of pure speed. I am no great fan of Wallace and his seemingly indifferent attitude this season, but if it's possible to keep the three of them together (Wallace Brown Sanders)(oh BTW IMO Sanders is a must sign) we should. We appear to be very deep at RB with Dwyer, Redman and Rainey, and don't forget Batch. We also have to keep in mind that Dwyer and Redman are restricted FA I believe (at least Dwyer is) at seasons end.

I'm a bit of a wallace hater but I'll admit his long catch and run turned the tide of the game, he had a direct hand in the win.

agree we need to keep sanders, the guy is money when it comes to moving the chains, and also he's good at kick returns if we need to replace brown or rainey because of injuries