PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer or Redman

Rotorhead
11-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I prefer Redman, only a little, because he has a knack of keeping his feet. Both are punishing runners and get the tuff yards. Im still pulling for Redman

Fire Arians
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
whoever is healthier, i do feel more comfortable with redman in the lineup though. he's good at getting the tough yards, but dwyer has more big play potential

LVSteelersfan
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously folks. They are both going to see extensive time in the next game if Dwyer is ready to go. I have no problem with that as long as they don't keep putting Batch in there and messing it up. He shouldn't even dress if Dwyer and Redman are ready to go. But they will keep trying to give Batch reps even though he doesn't really deserve them.

EbonySteel86
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
With this oline blocking the way they have, it doesn't even matter, but I really like Dwyer. He can truck you, or juke you. "Mini Bus"

steeltheone
11-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I like starting Redman and giving Dwyer short yardage carries. Then go with who is hot.

I was curious to see how many posts on this topic before someone mentioned Dwyer and Bus togather. Only took 3. LOL

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I like starting Redman and giving Dwyer short yardage carries.

I think Redman is better at short yardage than Dwyer is...

Darkstorm05
11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I love it. A week ago Dwyer had his own official thread, big fan club, the works. He sits a game, and his supporters go back to Redman.

Lokki
11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I found a pic of Dwyer, just chilling.

http://i.imgur.com/ljaxA.jpg?1

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 02:41 PM

good one! :thumbsup:

PhantomJB93
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Whoever gets the nod, I hope they give them most of the carries. The RB-committee thing doesn't work too well for us and I think giving one RB at least 15 carries allows them to get in a groove and find success. If they're all healthy and we constantly swap them out for each other, I expect a very poor running performance (IE the first few games of the season).

dreegking
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I'll go with Mendy. Otherwise Redmen against 4 -3 defenses. Dwyer against 3 - 4 fronts.

teegre
11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Here is what I know:

1. The O-line prefers to block for one type of RB. They get used to a style and/or the timing of a RB. Tomlin has stated this as being the case.

2. Redman looked like he wanted it... he was not going to be stopped.

2-a. Too much spinning.

3. Dwyer looks like he has that burst, but can also knock someone over.

3-a. He gets winded too easily.

SUMMATION:
I see this as a "AB verus Sanders as rookies" type of situation: the player who practices better, gets the start.

SUMMATION 2:
What a nice problem to have. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 03:17 PM
by Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers running game continues to get healthy, getting Isaac Redmanback last week and Rashard Mendenhall continuing to work his way back onto the field.

Once there is a full complement of backs available, which also includes Jonathan Dwyer, Chris Rainey and Baron Batch, Tomlin said the plan is to go with the hot hand.

“Whoever’s being productive when healthy is going to get the totes,” said Tomlin. “I really think it’s that simple. I’m not going to make it any more complex than it has to be.

“At times this season we’ve had a running back by committee approach because none of them had been overly effective at that time. When someone’s effective, they’ll get the ball.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-We’re-growing-and-doing-it-better/8c3380fb-af6f-4273-bf5f-905867c60117

WVABE
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Its pretty simple for me, the healthiest player starts and I'm not talking about Batch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Here is what I know:

1. The O-line prefers to block for one type of RB. They get used to a style and/or the timing of a RB. Tomlin has stated this as being the case.

:

Do you have a link to this?? O linemen generally like to block for a RB that will run behind the seams that they open up...that being said, if you have a guy with some speed that can break a big one, the defenders have to honor that and it makes an O lineman's job a bit easier.

To me, it never mattered if it was a speed guy like Parker or a power guy like Bettis...just block the guy across from you and let that RB hit the hole.

teegre
11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Do you have a link to this?? O linemen generally like to block for a RB that will run behind the seams that they open up...that being said, if you have a guy with some speed that can break a big one, the defenders have to honor that and it makes an O lineman's job a bit easier.

To me, it never mattered if it was a speed guy like Parker or a power guy like Bettis...just block the guy across from you and let that RB hit the hole.

Oh man... I read it this morning, while sitting up with the baby... I don't really remember the source (I was Googling at 4:00am).

Essentially, Tomlin commented about wanting to choose one RB to get most of the snaps, because it would help the O-line.

Similarly, over the years, I've heard other O-linemen (on ESPN, on the radio, at the gym)) talk about liking "one" RB better than a "committee"... because then then know how long to hold a block & such... and that they get timing with that "one" RB.

Millers the sh!t
11-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Great topic at hand here. Also, great "problem" for Pittsburgh

I'd probably take Redman at this point cause he has bit more experience, and always seems like he he plays with 100% of his effort. (Not that Dwyer doesn't) He also, (i.m.o) already earned the starting spot as long as Mendy is out.

I'm guessing that Redman may also have the better pair of hands. I believe I've seen Dwyer drop a few balls during his two starts. And one was a guaranteed TD pass.

It's unfortunate that none of these young men will be a true starter because they will be riding second to Rashard, or splitting touches with each other.

IMO, They both will be very productive backs, the type of backs that rarely lose yards or break even, but almost guarantee you the 3.5 yards per touch, with a few twenty five plus yard carries sprinkled in here and there. Both backs have the potential to be ending seasons with 4-500+ yards each, if they keep battling for touches, and with Rashard being the starter.

With this new found, hard nosed running game, and O-line we have, I'm really bumming that Rashard ain't getting the opportunity to show his moves and potential because he's sidelined with injuries. I know that Rashard will blow up under Harleys system, and I think he would make our running game even more threatening with the threat of the big play 60+ yard TD runs, and our short passing game, RB screens a nightmare for defenses to cover. I think with more speed and elusiveness coming out of the backfield from Rashard, it'll truly maximize Wallaces deep threat potential. I don't think that defenses are worried about our current backs breaking off a 70+ yard TD rush.
I know there aren't too many Rashard fans on this board, but I think a full season under Haleys offense will show you more of his potential and earn the respect of some of his dissenters.

Does anyone have Radhards contract info available? When is his contract year? Is it this season?

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have Radhards contract info available? When is his contract year? Is it this season?

Mendy will be an UFA at the end of this season.

Millers the sh!t
11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Mendy will be an UFA at the end of this season.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo oo!!

Thank you Hawaii Five......

LayingTheWoodley56
11-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Redman has proven himself for longer, though Dwyer's back-to-back 100 yard games were very impressive. I love Redman's refusal to go down, though. He always seems to pick up a couple of extra yards, or break out of a tackle and go for more than just a couple. Let's not forget Mendy, either - I have never been a huge fan of his, but with the other two guys being mainly bruisers, he will make for a good change of pace when we want to put a combination of size and immense speed in there.

This is a good problem to have, folks. All three backs will get carries, depending on who has the hot hand on a given day. And, we can afford an injury at the position because we now have outstanding depth at the position. Rainey should get a look here and there also, certainly over Batch who seems to have mastered the art of running 3 yards into a pile and going down.

PhantomJB93
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
"By committing to a primary runner as opposed to a runner by committee has also played a big role in that," Starks told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week. "Having a guy know he can run -- and if it doesn't go well, they're going to shelve him and put a guy in for couple plays. Knowing you're committed to him and allowing him to get a feel for the game, to get into a rhythm with us, I think that's the biggest thing, having that continuity."

IDK if that was the quote you were looking for...

teegre
11-07-2012, 06:12 PM
"By committing to a primary runner as opposed to a runner by committee has also played a big role in that," Starks told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week. "Having a guy know he can run -- and if it doesn't go well, they're going to shelve him and put a guy in for couple plays. Knowing you're committed to him and allowing him to get a feel for the game, to get into a rhythm with us, I think that's the biggest thing, having that continuity."

IDK if that was the quote you were looking for...

I don't know either... I was half awake...

Thanks, though... it touches upon what I was saying.

teegre
11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I overheard BB and Tomlin talking this morning, at Starbucks:

TOMLIN: Man, I have problems...

BB: Me,too.

TOMLIN: I have to decide which one of these RBs to start.

BB: I have too many receivers, but only one ball.

TOMLIN: Dwyer had back-to-back 100 yard games, and was alternating between juking players and running over people.

BB: Sounds a lot like Heath Miller... who I love to throw to.

TOMLIN: Then, there is Droppy Mendenspin, who bursts through the hole, and then leaves everyone in his rearview mirror.

BB: Hmmm... reminds me of Mike Wallace.

TOMLIN: Then there is Redman, who jukes & spins and plows forward, when necessary, in order to get that first down yardage... and then some.

BB: Wait... are you talking about AB???

TOMLIN: Then, I have this other guy who could start for a few teams, and is just plain good.

BB: Ah.. Cotchery?

TOMLIN: Well, him too... but, I was talking about Chris Rainey.

BB: Ah... I like passing to him, as well.

TOMLIN: So,..???

BB: So... what???

TOMLIN: Which one do I start?

BB: I'll make you a deal. You tell me who to throw the ball to, and I will tell you to start at RB.

TOMLIN: Deal. You first.

BB: Uh... you first.

TOMLIN: Uh... wow... hmmm...

BB: Man, we've got problems.

Millers the sh!t
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Ok, Tomlin told Ben "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath."

Then Ben told Tomlin to start Mendenhall, then Redman and lastly Dwyer. After that, Ben leaned over to Tomlin, and whispered in his ear "Chris Rainey says "Thanks for the compliment, but I can't be a starting back for any team in the NFL."

EbonySteel86
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM

AWESOME!!!!!:rofl::tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Oh man... I read it this morning, while sitting up with the baby... I don't really remember the source (I was Googling at 4:00am).

Essentially, Tomlin commented about wanting to choose one RB to get most of the snaps, because it would help the O-line.

Similarly, over the years, I've heard other O-linemen (on ESPN, on the radio, at the gym)) talk about liking "one" RB better than a "committee"... because then then know how long to hold a block & such... and that they get timing with that "one" RB.

First off....sorry about the sleep deprivation, but its our badge of honor as parents.

I wish I heard that bit on the radio, because its not making entire sense to me. Guys have to keep blocking until the whistle, not until they think the RB is by them. On a combination block it may make a bit more sense, but realistically........there isnt much time difference between how long it takes Dwyer or Rainey to get to the line of scrimmage from 5 yards deep in the backfield.

I think its more mental than anything. Before you can beat the team opposing you, you have to beat the guy in front of you. O linemen have to worry about beating the guy in front of them and not who is getting the ball behind them!!! (that's my krusty o line coach impression of the day-- rant)

teegre
11-07-2012, 11:40 PM
First off....sorry about the sleep deprivation, but its our badge of honor as parents.

I wish I heard that bit on the radio, because its not making entire sense to me. Guys have to keep blocking until the whistle, not until they think the RB is by them. On a combination block it may make a bit more sense, but realistically........there isnt much time difference between how long it takes Dwyer or Rainey to get to the line of scrimmage from 5 yards deep in the backfield.

I think its more mental than anything. Before you can beat the team opposing you, you have to beat the guy in front of you. O linemen have to worry about beating the guy in front of them and not who is getting the ball behind them!!! (that's my krusty o line coach impression of the day-- rant)

SLEEP DEPRIVATION: The cool thing is that I actually like it. My wife "got" (had) to be the one to get up, when the baby was breast feeding... and now, I am the one who "gets" (gets) to be up. It is a nice bonding time... different than when the baby is fully awake.

O-LINE: You would know more about O-line play than I do... but, with that said, I know that I've heard this time & time again (that O-linemen like getting in a rhythm with "one" RB). I remember specifically, when the Eagles O-line was having to block for Ricky Watters and someone else... and they wanted the coach to pick "one" RB.

austinfrench76
11-08-2012, 12:04 AM
My vote would be Dwyer with Redman backing him up. And that with a nickel will get you a nickel.

ChristianKustomz
11-08-2012, 12:14 AM
WooHoo. My 100th post! I know that might not seem like a lot to anyone but for me that's a good accomplishment and I get to share it with my Steelers friends!

I love this place!

Daniel_Amos
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
If Dwyer is 100% I would go with him. It is no knock on Redman as he would do just as well. I just have a gut feeling about Dwyer.

Dalarin
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Redman had the better game, more recently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I loved the way Dwyer played those two games, but how can you bench Isaac after the game he just had?

Hawaii 5-0
11-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Redman had the better game, more recently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I loved the way Dwyer played those two games, but how can you bench Isaac after the game he just had?

I don't think you can, not for Dwyer anyway.

teegre
11-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Interestingly, that is what people were saying after Dwyer 's back-to-back 100 yard games: how do you bench him???

It's a nice "problem" to have.

GBMelBlount
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

:applaudit:

Gotta say, Dwyer seems to have a hot hand at the moment and he certainly is fun to watch.

Hawaii 5-0
11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Steelers sticking with the hot hand

11/9/2012
By F. Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – With the possibility of having more than one lead runner to hand the ball off to in Monday night’s game at Heinz Field against the Kansas City Chiefs, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he’s going to stick with the “hot hand.”

The question begs to be asked, is the hot hand Jonathan Dwyer, who had backto- back 100-yard games before sitting out last week’s win against the Giants; or Isaac Redman, who rushed for a career-high 147 yards in the win at New York?

The answer might be none of the above.

The hot hand for the Steelers (5-3) right now might just be the offensive line, which has paved the way for three consecutive individual 100yard rushing games.

“It’s awesome to watch those guys,” said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel. “They’ve been wanting to run the ball for a long time. They’re doing a great job feeding off each other, getting down and dirty, moving piles. They get hyped up on that. Hopefully we’ll continue to do that. It opens everything up. It opens the passing game up, play-action, it helps everything.”It has certainly been a big change from the first portion of the season. After averaging just 65 yards rushing in their first three games, the Steelers have gained 155 yards per game on the ground in their last three.

First-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley has helped accomplish this by trimming the playbook.

“Instead of having – this is just a number – 50 runs, we said let’s just do 25 that we know well and do them well,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “We did the same thing in the pass game with formations and motions and everything else.”

Instead of having to focus so much on what their assignments are on each particular play, the Steelers’ offensive linemen have been able to concentrate on dominating the man in front of them.

The results have been easy to see.

With less to think about, the linemen – particularly guard Willie Colon – have been able to let their natural aggressiveness show.

In fact, the turning point might have come in the second quarter of a 24-17 win at Cincinnati. Colon not only blocked Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict, he buried him about 10 yards downfield, starting a fight. Since then, the Steelers have not only won at the line of scrimmage, they have dominated it.

“It turned before that, but that made it even more of a (statement) – keep it going,” said Dwyer. “Everybody got fired up, not just the guys on the field, but on the sidelines and the defense. It just sent a message, ‘That’s how we play.’” Because of that improved offensive line play, it might not matter who the Steelers play at running back moving forward, Dwyer, Redman or Rashard Mendenhall, who is working his way back into the lineup after sitting out the past three games with a sore Achilles’ tendon.

“ Fortunately, we have three guys who are capable of carrying the load,” said Redman. “Dwyer stepped up for two weeks. Then, I stepped up last week. It’s just scary to see what we can do when all three of us are able to carry the ball at the same time.”

It all starts up front.

Haley’s use of a true fullback – something shunned by former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians – has helped.

First-year fullback Will Johnson has gotten better each week and has become a big part of the team’s success in the running game.

“He’s basically changed our running game,” said Dwyer. “ He’s made it a better running game. He’s made a difference. He’s physical, very athletic for a fullback. He’s one of the most athletic fullbacks I’ve ever seen. It shows in his play.”

Johnson’s physical ability is a perfect complement to an aggressive offensive line. “Each week they’re getting better,” Redman said. “(Maurkice) Pouncey and Willie Colon, they’re going right at guys, and you can see them tussling after plays. By the end of the game, we’re pounding people out, they’re tired of getting hit and tired of tackling our running backs.”

Odds and end zones: Mendenhall was a limited participant in practice Thursday, but Dwyer (quad) practiced fully for the second consecutive day. Running back/return man Chris Rainey (ribs) also was a full participant Thursday. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) was limited, and wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) did not practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/11-09-steelers-rb

former RB
11-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I like Dwyer and Redman in the same backfield.

I really excited to see that Taiwan Jones is going to get his first start for the Raiders this week against the Ravens. I was hoping soooo bad that the Steelers would deal for him at draft time.

You are going to see another Marcus Allen type RB in Taiwan. Taiwan will be better than Dorsett.

Bayz101
11-10-2012, 02:31 PM

I really excited to see that Taiwan Jones is going to get his first start for the Raiders this week against the Ravens. I was hoping soooo bad that the Steelers would deal for him at draft time.

You are going to see another Marcus Allen type RB in Taiwan. Taiwan will be better than Dorsett.

You've been talking up Taiwan for a while now...hopefully he'll turn out good.

Hawaii 5-0
11-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Taiwan Jones has fumbling issues and is injury-prone. he's definitely fast, but no way will he ever be better than Tony Dorsett.

steelerchad
I mix it up a little and give them both some carries. Keep them both fresh and then let them batter the KC defense in the 2nd half. Same formula for Balt,

madtowndrunkard
I'd go with Jonathan Redmendhall.

FrancoLambert
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Start with Redman......rotate with Dwyer.....and go more with who's hotter that day.

Dalarin
11-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Start with Redman......rotate with Dwyer.....and go more with who's hotter that day.

That was what we did when we were 31st in rushing offense. I'll take what we've done the past 3 weeks personally

Hawaii 5-0
11-11-2012, 01:30 AM
A bad move rising?

If Jonathan Dwyer and/or Isaac Redman continue to pound out 100-yard games and the Steelers return to Rashard Mendenhall when he's healthy, it will rank among the more controversial decisions in a while at a skilled offensive position.

It will be reminiscent of that brilliant decision the coaching staff made in 2003 when it picked Amos Zereoue in training camp to bump Jerome Bettis out of his starting job. Or another in 2000 when Hines Ward was temporarily bumped from his starting job so they could install their two first-round picks, Troy Edwards and rookie Plaxico Burress, as the starting wide receivers.

Another one worth recalling came in 1992. With Neil O'Donnell nursing an injury toward the end of that season, Bubby Brister, pictured inset, guided the Steelers to a 4-2 record down the stretch. The Steelers earned a playoff seed and had a week off before the Buffalo Bills came to town. Bill Cowher decided to return to O'Donnell at quarterback and he obviously was either rusty or not ready and in Three Rivers Stadium the Bills drubbed the Steelers, 24-3, in Cowher's first playoff game.

It would be Brister's last game with the Steelers, and he went out the door saying about O'Donnell, "I can out-throw him, and outrun him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-make-pitch-for-roethlisberger-as-mvp-661606/#ixzz2BtAHoRgy

Edman
11-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Why should it be one or the other?

Go with both and let them spell each other.

steelerchad
11-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Today's NFL, you're better off with a stable of backs. I love the depth right now, because how many teams could have this many injuries at the RB position and actually improve their running game as the season goes along.

With these 3 backs, (Mendy, Redman, Dwyer) plus a sprinkling of Rainey I like our running game and have no injury worries the rest of the year. As long as 1 of the big 3 can play.

JWashington
11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Taking in the consideration that Redman has been battling injuries since the first game of preseason, I'd start him since he's earned that starting job with Mendenhall out. He's one of the best blocking RBs in the league and a good reciever out of the backfield. We've seen what he can do when healthy. No knock on Dwyer what so ever. If at all possible get them both on the field as much as possibe. I've been telling anybody who'll listen that once all of these guys get healthy, Haley going to have to really earn his money. The potential of our offense is ridiculous with all of these guys 100% if used effectively.

ChristianKustomz
11-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I say Redman. He has really been doing a fabulous job of handling the ball and responding to the plays. He is one of the few players earning their pay in my opinion.

maddog78
11-12-2012, 07:42 AM
That was what we did when we were 31st in rushing offense. I'll take what we've done the past 3 weeks personally

That has more to do with Mike Adams starting and Colon getting comfortable at guard.

FrancoLambert
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Which was starting who was healthy, Dwyer for 2 weeks and Redman last week.
Dwyer had 2 very good games then got hurt. Redman steps in and has a career game.
Why bench Redman after a 147 yard game?
Start him, if he stays hot and remains healthy he gets the bulk.
If he starts slow go to Dwyer.
Then stay with who's hot, we don't have a clear #1 right now.

cubanstogie
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Which was starting who was healthy, Dwyer for 2 weeks and Redman last week.
Dwyer had 2 very good games then got hurt. Redman steps in and has a career game.
Why bench Redman after a 147 yard game?
Start him, if he stays hot and remains healthy he gets the bulk.
If he starts slow go to Dwyer.
Then stay with who's hot, we don't have a clear #1 right now.

exactly, either one of those two deserve to start. Mendy should be fighting for his starting life when he gets healthy. Hopefully it will light a fire under his A$$. RB by committee is fine and start who is hot. I just hope they don't hand Mendenhall the starting job when he is healthy.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Yes, these two are both still on track to put up 500 yards this season. Who's ready for Mendy to return?

austinfrench76
11-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Dwyer looked better tonight. That fumble doesn't help Redman but Dwyer would be my pick still.