PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most"

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Steelers Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most" in Sporting News poll

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2830935/gyi0062179259.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Steelers Mike Tomlin received 35 of 103 votes cast, a landslide winner in a Sporting News poll of current NFL players asked which coach they'd want to play for the most.

It was a "varsity football" victory for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Although he probably cares little about the award, he has to appreciate somewhat the fact players chose Tomlin by more than a 3-to-1 margin over Patriots coach Bill Belichick as the coach players would want to play for, in a poll recently done by The Sporting News. Players could not choose their current coach.

Sports News quoted one player as saying:

What I liked about him the most is that he's very up front and honest with you. You kind of always know where you stand with him-good, bad or indifferent. You appreciate the honesty of knowing where you stand. And the other thing would be that he just kind of always says the right thing, whether it's to you, the group, the media. Once again, whether it's good, bad, he just kind of says the right thing. He's got that knack.

SN attributes the quote to an "NFC offensive player who used to play for Tomlin."

Making guesses on who it could have been, former Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth, who's now with Chicago, comes to mind. He was one of Tomlin's first draft picks, and played with him for four seasons. Detroit's Stefan Logan was with Tomlin's Steelers in 2009, a free agent signing. Former Steelers practice squad player Jamon Meredith is in Tampa Bay.

Green Bay's John Kuhn was released by Tomlin, so it wouldn't seem likely it was him.

Tomlin is 60-28 in five seasons and eight games into the 2012 year, with a Super Bowl championship, two AFC championships and three AFC North division titles.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/7/3614350/steelers-mike-tomlin-voted-coach-players-want-to-play-for-most-in

Bayz101
11-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Chris Scott as well.

tony hipchest
11-08-2012, 01:43 AM
"bu..bu..bu..but hes black, has that big eyed 'deer in headlights' look as if he doesnt care, doesnt spit or show emotion, and only wins with cowhers players"

-68 players polled and thousands of hater steelerfans:chuckle:

imma have to get with coolong and tell him that it was most likely kuhn who made those remarks. im sure he was dealt with straight up when released and his career blossomed in green bay because arians dont need no stinking offense. plus any other former steeler offensive players who now play with an NFC team arent even worth talking to by SportingNews.

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't think anybody on this board would argue that Mike Tomlin is not a good man and it is widely known he is a players coach, so this does not surprise me at all.

lipps83
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't think anybody on this board would argue that Mike Tomlin is not a good man and it is widely known he is a players coach, so this does not surprise me at all.

But, but, but....

He can only win with Cowhers players!

All 6 of em'.

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
But, but, but....

All 6 of em'.

That will be determined in the next few years.....

Fire Arians
11-08-2012, 02:28 PM
i wonder where bruce arians ranked, since he's a HC now :chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 02:29 PM
But, but, but....

and that's not an easy thing to do since Cowher could only win once in 15 years with his players.

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 02:35 PM
and that's not an easy thing to do since Cowher could only win once in 15 years with his players.

I'd be willing to bet Tomlin would have zero without BR7......Plain and simple, need a franchise QB. Any Head Coach.

austinfrench76
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure this is a good thing at all. He really doesn't seem to have much discipline on this team. Lots of off teh field issues since he's been here and penalties. Just my opinion but I really don't care if they like the coach just as long as they respect him and he gest the most out of them. Not sure "likeability" is on the list of characteristics that accomplishes that? Either way, he is a good coach and we are lucky to ahve him and the Rooney's who bring that stability to the organization and don't jump the gun after a bad season and fire everyone!

lipps83
11-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd be willing to bet Tomlin would have zero without BR7......Plain and simple, need a franchise QB. Any Head Coach.

Tell that to the Ravens and the Buccaneers.

lipps83
11-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Heck, if you wanted to you could throw the Giants in there too. I don't think Eli is that great of a quarterback either.

What do you think that means?

Could it be that.... no, it couldn't....

Great teams win championships?

JeromeBetties63
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Exception, not the norm. BR is the key. Steelers had some great teams in the all those years they didnt win....but they didnt have a BR.

madtowndrunkard
11-08-2012, 10:07 PM
What did Cowher have.. Something like 6 AFCC appearances with mostly horrible QB's? He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. Cowher's teams had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points. (that is crazy!)

I'm not comparing Tomlin vs Cowher when I say this... Cowher was one of the best coaches in NFL history for doing what he did. No one argues that Marino wasn't an amazing QB yet he doesn't have the rings to back it up. Cowher has rings and he has stats... When you consider what he had and how he imposed his will on opponents...and he did it his own way. That is why Coach Cowher is one of the greats. To deny that is just ignorant or disingenuous.

Is Tomlin a great head coach? I'd say it's too early to tell. Is he good? I'd say yes..he's very good. But if you are honest you can't deny the fact that he's been given a team loaded with talent at key positions...he's been given a first class coaching staff as well...and he's got a ring. Tomlin has done what is expected ... for the most part. No one can say Tomlin has surpassed expectations IMO... everyone expects us to be SB contenders... been that way since this Ben kid came along.

To be honest I almost think Tomlin would have to win with a different QB (then Ben) then he'd be given the accolades Cowher has been given. Either that or he'd have to win a couple more SB's with Ben. Maybe its unfair? But that's just how people think...they give way more credit to guys who start from scratch and rise up from the bottom. It's in our blood as Americans to give more credence to that kind of success. The guy who takes over Apple is never going to be given the credit of Steve Jobs... no matter what he does.

tony hipchest
11-08-2012, 11:13 PM

:huh: so all non-franchise qb's only wanna play for a HC that already has a franchise qb? :tap:

that doesnt make much sense.

i'd be willing to bet that if every coach had a franchise qb like BR&, mike tomlin would STILL win this vote.

lets face it, there are plenty of players who would like to play with a coach like vermiel, cowher, fisher, lovie smith regardless of qb.

but to your point EVERYBODY wants to be part of a winning team or situation. obvious human nature doesnt negate tomlins popularity or style amongst players, though.

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Heck, if you wanted to you could throw the Giants in there too. I don't think Eli is that great of a quarterback either.

What do you think that means?

Could it be that.... no, it couldn't....

Great teams win championships?

Eli not a great QB? C'mon????

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Exception, not the norm. BR is the key. Steelers had some great teams in the all those years they didnt win....but they didnt have a BR.

Exactly...We had better teams overall not win the big one than the last 2 that did.

teegre
11-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Belichick would have zero without Brady. Walsh would have zero without Montana. ____ would have zero without ___. Et cetera...

steeltheone
11-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Belichick would have zero without Brady. Walsh would have zero without Montana. ____ would have zero without ___. Et cetera...

This statement was in reference to the post that Cowher only had 1 ring in 15 years, and none till Big Ben.....Which i replied Tomlin would have none without BR7 either.