PDA

View Full Version : Haley has sure toned it down

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Haley has sure toned it down

November 7th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

Everybody has heard about (and sometimes saw) the explosive personality of Todd Haley before his arrival in Pittsburgh.

There’s no denying that.

Even Haley’s quarterback last year with Kansas City Matt Cassel admitted so during Wednesday’s teleconference with the Pittsburgh media in preparation for Monday’s game against the Steelers.

“Coach Haley is a demanding coach,” Cassel said. “He expects a lot out of his players. He will challenge you. He is not afraid to get in your face and let you know … I guess hold you accountable is the best way to put it.”

Did Cassel ever take exception to Haley’s methods?

“There were probably times that there I did but there were other times that you respect the process and respect the coaching that is taking place,” he said.

But that Todd Haley is no more.

He has barely even raised his voice in more than nine months as a Steelers employee which leads to the question if the organization (Art Rooney II, Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert) strongly suggested before hiring Haley to tone down his antics.

What other explanation do you have?

It wouldn’t be unprecedented for a coach to change his style from year-to-year while with the Steelers.

There wasn’t a more dynamic of a special teams coach than Bob Ligashesky. He was animated, he screamed, he yelled, he was high-energy and he was expressive on the field.

Then, all of a sudden after his first year with the Steelers (2007) to his second (2008), he barely said a word – no more screaming, yelling and gyrations.

Did the Steelers tell him to knock it off?

Did the Steelers tell Haley to knock it off as well?

We will never know the answer to that, but don’t you think it’s unusual for coaches to change their coaching personality that got them to the pinnacle of their career?

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/07/haley-has-sure-toned-it-down/

tony hipchest
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
reporters are doing backflips coming up with reasons and excuses why they arent getting the circus sideshow they desperately dreamed of (and practically promised).

:idea:

of course.... blame the rooneys and cite bob shitthebedsky as the precedent! :rolleyes:

Bayz101
11-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I saw Haley giving Ben the stink eye in Denver. Ben walked two steps in his direction, saw the eye, and suddenly decided walking to his receivers on the bench was the better option. That said...there's no conspiracy. The offense has been limited in mistakes. Nothing to see here.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Being given the keys to the Steelers offense, with all of its neat weapons and playmakers, has probably given him no reason to yell and shout.

Coaches yell and shout when things are going badly. When your offense is 2nd in the league in ToP, and you have the best QB, what is there to scream about?

Darkstorm05
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Yea, so if you're coaching Matt Cassel and the Chiefs, would you ever be in a good mood? He's suddenly surrounded by talent and respectable character.

LVSteelersfan
11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Yea, so if you're coaching Matt Cassel and the Chiefs, would you ever be in a good mood? He's suddenly surrounded by talent and respectable character.

What he said. I don't think Haley has any reason to be that way because he is not the head coach. Not as many worries as a coordinator. Plus he has a really good team. No reason to scream when they are doing what he wants them to.

Hawaii 5-0
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Steelers vs. Chiefs: Todd Haley says "I've moved on," from Kansas City

By Neal Coolong on Nov 9

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2927647/505666542.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Despite some insistence from others that his firing after a 5-8 start in 2011 sparks some desire for revenge, Steelers offensive coordinator and former Chiefs head coach Todd Haley sticks to mantra of "every game is the biggest game of the year."

It wouldn't seem befitting the dignity of a coach - particularly not a Pittsburgh Steelers coach - to come out to the media making statements of residing animosity toward a former employer.

It would seem in line with human nature, though, for Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley to want to stick it to his former bosses, though.

The Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh's Week 10 opponent, fired Haley after posting a 5-8 record in 2011, just 14 games after going 10-6 and winning the AFC West. Haley received a Coach of the Year award from NFL's 101 organization.

A rocky 2011 season that saw the Chiefs go on a four-game winning streak, but also lose three in a row and four in a row at different points, doomed Haley, in the eyes of general manager Scott Pioli - a man on the verge of termination himself.

Clearly, Haley's relationship with Pioli had its complications. After his departure, a report in the Kansas City Star suggested Haley had stopped using his personal cell phone and repeatedly checked his office for listening devices. The Star had a story on Jan. 12 about the entire affair, quoting one source attributed as a former longtime Chiefs executive as saying, "When you're mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too."

Some of Pioli's first moves were made in regards to protecting information. According to the Star, a rule instituted by Pioli regards the shades be drawn during practices in all offices facing the Chiefs practice fields, including then Chiefs president Mark Donovan.

From a cultural perspective, weight can be put in the theory of changes being made out of fear of what a new manager knows can happen, disregarding what may happen. Pioli's New England Patriots weren't without invasions of allegedly secure information.

Allegations and smoking sightings without confirmation of fire aside, Haley was out, as was Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whom the Steelers elected not to bring back after the 2011 season. After working in that kind of alleged environment (Pioli allegedly chastised department heads after a candy wrapped sat in a stairwell for a week in an effort to show how detail-oriented championship teams may be), pretty much anywhere else sounds like a good change of pace.

Haley's comments leading into the Steelers job paint a night-and-day difference between the two organizations - one with a Super Bowl appearance and two double-digit winning seasons, and one with just that 10-win season under Haley since 2009.

Putting all that together, a reasonably-minded person could understand if Haley has extra motivation (if such a concept is possible in an extremely competitive league) against the Chiefs. At the same time, he may no longer be a head coach, but according to the Tribune-Review, "Haley loves his new job in his hometown Pittsburgh and loves going to work every day because of the drama-free environment and his personnel, including the best quarterback he's ever coached. He also sneaks in a few more family hours each week."

It's largely implied no one is bugging his phone or screaming about candy wrappers, either. Maybe Haley will think about that wrapper while holding a three-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter Monday, and decide to give that best quarterback he's ever coached, Ben Roethlisberger, a pass check at the line of scrimmage. Maybe his past experiences will make him stare into the suite where Pioli likely would be sitting for a brief second after a touchdown.

He says he's moved on, but less than a year after leading a reporter inside Chiefs headquarters, eyes scanning over the room for listening devices, it's really hard to believe he's forgotten about it. Maybe in the heat of battle those thoughts come back to him, leading to a deep pass when holding a lead.

It seems, though, Haley is more content with leading the offense to score enough to give the Steelers their fourth straight win. Not all revenge scenarios play out with fire and brimstone.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/9/3621780/steelers-chiefs-todd-haley-revenge-comments-preview-fantasy-football

Atlanta Dan
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Haley wants to be a head coach again and the Rooneys are giving him that chance - do not discount the fact the Rooneys loyalty to his father helped get him the OC gig and that Haley knows if he screws up with the Steelers his career is toast so he is on his best behavior

stb_steeler
11-09-2012, 05:21 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/TerribleTowelFlying/Todd_Haley_sm.gif

Bayz101
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA :rofl:

stb_steeler
11-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Wasnt this your sig at one time Bayz? lol

austinfrench76
11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I coundln't be happier than I am about letting Arians "retire" (I still love that we the Rooney's made him call it that!!) and getting Todd Haley. I think that he puts us over the top in the long run and gets us back into a couple of SB's! And who cares if he does someday blow up on the sidelines??? At least you know it will be because he cares and wants the team to do better. Unlike Arians who would have only blown up if Ben didn't get his way!

FanSince72
11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
It's Bruce Arians' fault!

Arians is busy playing Father Flannagan over in Indy and he's 6-3.
I figure that Haley realized that the Fire and Brimstone thing will look even sillier if he ends up with a worse record than BA so he's decided to lay low.

steelfury02
11-10-2012, 07:36 AM
It is really amazing that the Colts are 6-3. If they can keep it up enough to earn a spot, great - I hope to see them. Bruce sure has found a way to get in front of the cameras lately. (And the more I think of it, the more his luck of being associated with good quarterbacks is uncanny). The more time passed that Arians was here, the more I was convinced that Ben's ability and the sheer talent and depth of the Steelers' rosters more than covered for his lack of understanding situational football, protecting the franchise QB, and playing to strengths.

It is a little odd to me how public Arians, Irsay, and all the players have rallied around his cancer. I'm not saying they don't feel close or that it isn't right - but they are really laying it on heavy in front of the cameras. The shaving of the heads is a nice gesture - but I'm getting a little tired of hearing how "special" this situation is and how much motivation this gives them.

Hey media - plenty of people live after and die of cancer - the cancer coverage is getting a little ridiculous and the locker room speeches are a little overly dramatized, and frankly - it is a little bit of exploitation on the Colts part - but hey, whatever gets asses in the seats, right? I've experienced cancer too many times and I can tell you - no healthy coach is going to predict hoisting the Super Bowl trophy because of a dream he had not even halfway through the season, and especially not with all of the cameras around him. The guy has chemo-brain, is feeling his mortality, and it is heart wrenching. This team will fall apart once they can't keep winning for the sick man.

The father Flanagan comment was hilarious - exactly what I have been thinking. Is Arians for real?

When they start a losing streak, I bet they'll go right back to Marsha Brady and Discount Double Check coverage.

stb_steeler
11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
It is really amazing that the Colts are 6-3. If they can keep it up enough to earn a spot, great - I hope to see them. Bruce sure has found a way to get in front of the cameras lately. (And the more I think of it, the more his luck of being associated with good quarterbacks is uncanny). The more time passed that Arians was here, the more I was convinced that Ben's ability and the sheer talent and depth of the Steelers' rosters more than covered for his lack of understanding situational football, protecting the franchise QB, and playing to strengths.

It is a little odd to me how public Arians, Irsay, and all the players have rallied around his cancer. I'm not saying they don't feel close or that it isn't right - but they are really laying it on heavy in front of the cameras. The shaving of the heads is a nice gesture - but I'm getting a little tired of hearing how "special" this situation is and how much motivation this gives them.

Hey media - plenty of people live after and die of cancer - the cancer coverage is getting a little ridiculous and the locker room speeches are a little overly dramatized, and frankly - it is a little bit of exploitation on the Colts part - but hey, whatever gets asses in the seats, right? I've experienced cancer too many times and I can tell you - no healthy coach is going to predict hoisting the Super Bowl trophy because of a dream he had not even halfway through the season, and especially not with all of the cameras around him. The guy has chemo-brain, is feeling his mortality, and it is heart wrenching. This team will fall apart once they can't keep winning for the sick man.

The father Flanagan comment was hilarious - exactly what I have been thinking. Is Arians for real?

When they start a losing streak, I bet they'll go right back to Marsha Brady and Discount Double Check coverage.

Its gonna take teams like the Steelers ect to knock em down a peg, then reality will set in.

Hawaii 5-0
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM

http://i.imgur.com/miE9R.gif

Atlanta Dan
11-11-2012, 08:21 AM
It's Bruce Arians' fault!

Max Starks apparently thinks so:chuckle:

Diversity is something the Steelers were lacking in recent years under former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. He liked bubble screens, deep passes, three tight end sets and throwing on third-and-2.

It led to an offense that put up big numbers at times but that would bog down in the red zone and short-yardage situations.

“We had tendencies with some people wanting to stay in their zones and do things they felt comfortable with more than trusting other individuals on the team,” tackle Max Starks said. “That’s more of the philosophy of the coordinator and being able to adapt and not being able to adapt.”

http://triblive.com/home/2906664-85/haley-game-steelers-offensive-wilson-coordinator-diverse-offense-running-todd#axzz2BpMKBBGK

TRH
11-11-2012, 09:18 AM
reporters are doing backflips coming up with reasons and excuses why they arent getting the circus sideshow they desperately dreamed of (and practically promised).

:idea:

of course.... blame the rooneys and cite bob shitthebedsky as the precedent! :rolleyes:

This.

He still has the fire, no question. Just because there "hasn't been a fight on the sidelines" or a yelling match of somesort.....which there shouldn't be anyways, doesn't mean you've "toned it down". There's been no reason.
No story here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I am beginning to think that Mark Kaboly is just another media clown that is playing from the same playbook as Ron Cook and Skip Bayless.

They fear monger that Haley and his temper will be disruptive when he got to Pittsburgh, now that there have been no fireworks they write articles suggesting that he is cowtowing to others. He should see if TMZ has any openings.

Edman
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Bruce Arians is good for a year or so to groom a young QB, not good for keeping around for a long period of time.

Bruce had success here back in 2007 as Ben had his best season yet, he didn't come close to duplicating that success since.

FanSince72
11-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Bruce Arians is good for a year or so to groom a young QB, not good for keeping around for a long period of time.

Bruce had success here back in 2007 as Ben had his best season yet, he didn't come close to duplicating that success since.

So the five winning seasons, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl win were all what?

A consolation prize?
Something we had to "settle" for?

maddog78
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
So the five winning seasons, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl win were all what?

Mostly the defense and Ben making plays after the protection broke down.

FanSince72
11-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Mostly the defense and Ben making plays after the protection broke down.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/seriously.jpg

And the 6-3 record in Indy is not BA but just Andrew Luck taking charge?
Do you really hate this man THAT much?

steelfury02
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I think Arians attitude while he was here is equally responsible for the residual hate as much as what his relationship with Ben did to the offense, and the Steelers as a whole

Make no mistake - I was gleefully happy when I knew he wasn't coming back, because from my perspective - it was time for Ben to have someone to coach him rather than coddle to him. Ben was reaching his peak way too early under Bruce, and it was costing the team points and Ben his health for the sake of doing things the way they wanted to do it. IMO - it was little selfishness on both of their parts - but Ben did deserve a little control after 2 SB victories.

If Arians didn't purposefully set up the run game to fail (and I'm not a proponent of 3 yards and a cloud of dust) and then smuggingly say (paraphrasing) "when they show me they can run successfully, then I'll be happy to let them"

Arians never, EVER owned up to anything and was constantly deflecting blame to the players. It might sound ridiculous, but the coaches from the couches (Steelers fans) were able to predict what the offense was going to do in almost every critical situation.The 2007 MNF game v. Ravens, The 2010 AFC Champ game v. Jets, and last year's Patriots victory were his lone shining moments.

It is important to note, that in those last two games I mention, the offense was able to do absolutely nothing on more than a drive or two - which is why the scores were closer than they should have been.

Situational football, playing to strengths, and CLOSING is why Bruce is gone. The hate has a lot to do with his unwillingness to acknowledge that he needed to change things up a little and blaming others for when his stale tactics failed.

In half a season, it is no shocker, that Steelers fans have witnessed a light bulb burning that hasn't been switched on in a while. Thank you Haley.

maddog78
11-12-2012, 10:30 AM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/seriously.jpg

Do you really hate this man THAT much?

Anyone who watched an Arians run offense knows how it went down. The Colts offense? 4th in yards, 22nd in scoring.

Sound familiar?

The Colts are riding a wave of emotion, a hot rookie QB, and a crappy schedule. Let's see where they are after games against NE and Houston.

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Yes.

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I think Indy's 6-3 record can be attributed to the Colts playing for Chuck Pagano and a lot of LUCK.