PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Star of this Defense Now?

desertsteel
11-10-2012, 02:32 PM
It's not Troy of JH any longer... so who do you think the star of the defense is now... you know,,, the face of the defense?

Lamar "the Hamstring" Woodley is too injured all the time...

Who's the guy???

steelerchad
11-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Right now. Probably Ryan Clark. Should be Timmons.

Buddha Bus
11-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I agree with steelerchad. It's probably Clark right now with Timmons poised to assume that role with continued excellent play. Clark is playing the best I've ever seen him play right now and is all over the field. The only other guy with the potential to be that guy is Keenan Lewis, but he needs to show he can be consistent over the course of a year or so before he can be that guy. He's definitely making me a believer.

pittpete
11-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Clark

WVABE
11-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Same here, Lamar is still right there, but he's been quiet about it.

Millers the sh!t
11-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Ryan Clark got my vote...

ETL
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Clark.

Will Allen is playing very well as well

lloydwoodson
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
The best player on the defense is Ben because he keeps the other team's offense off the field. Ben for Defensive Player of the Year! Oh yeah! Is Ben a top 5 defensive player in the league? Yeah, Ben is definitely top 5. Oh yeah!

Steel_Bus_24
11-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Ryan is playing his ass off and being a good leader too

lipps83
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
It could be Timmons if they would allow him to play a more aggressive role. I think he is best when allowed to rush the passer and cause havoc, but is only put in that position once or twice a game it seems.

4xSBChamps
11-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Lamar "the Hamstring" Woodley is too injured all the time...

... Greg Hawthorne called... he wants his name-back...

FanSince72
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think there is a single star on defense and I don't think there should be.

If I were to pick a portion of our defense that I think is really getting it done right now I'd have to say it's the secondary overall (something I never thought I'd be saying). Clark leads the way, but Allen, Lewis and Ike are not looking too shabby lately either.

I think that Troy's absence has allowed this to happen because without him the secondary seems to be developing a nice chemistry and they're playing as a team.
When Troy is out there and allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants, I think that actually hurts the secondary because often Clark, Allen, etc. have to worry about what Troy is doing as much as what the receivers are doing and that's not good.

I think Troy is a great talent but he needs to be used in ways that make him part of a functioning unit rather than as some sort of unguided missile. That has always been my biggest gripe with LeBeau - that he sees Troy as someone so special that the defense tends to become "Troy plus ten other guys" rather than eleven guys who each have talent and a role to complement that talent.

FrancoLambert
11-10-2012, 04:53 PM
1) Clark
2) Timmons

Will Allen is a definite upgrade over Ryan Mundy

desertsteel
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah you guys are right... it's Clark! That dude needs a serious nickname... does he have one? Who's got a suggestion?

When he hits someone... they just had a Clark Bar...

Steel_Bus_24
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Ryan ^^The Punisher^^ Clark

Np2_9JcVZaA

Ryan leaves this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused. One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum." Latin. Training Camp Coaches made us recite it like a prayer. "Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Two: Ryan Clark is dead. He died with the rest of the old NFL when Goodell took over

Three: in certain situations, the NFL Rules are inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the rules. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment. .

desertsteel
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
^^The Punisher^^
i like

tony hipchest
11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I think that Troy's absence has allowed this to happen because without him the secondary seems to be developing a nice chemistry and they're playing as a team.
When Troy is out there and allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants, I think that actually hurts the secondary because often Clark, Allen, etc. have to worry about what Troy is doing as much as what the receivers are doing and that's not good.

I think Troy is a great talent but he needs to be used in ways that make him part of a functioning unit rather than as some sort of unguided missile. That has always been my biggest gripe with LeBeau - that he sees Troy as someone so special that the defense tends to become "Troy plus ten other guys" rather than eleven guys who each have talent and a role to complement that talent.

its not just dick lebeau (still cant figure out why you are the ONLY one who hates on him incessantly). everybody else on this blue planet we call earth, thinks troy is that special as well.

you mean to tell me all those years we have been #1 in defense, going to afcc games, winning superbowls and having defensive MVP's, healthy troy was actually hurting the defense? :tap:

i should tweet this to ryan clark so he can laugh his ass off as well. :smh:

Steeldude
11-11-2012, 03:42 AM
That has always been my biggest gripe with LeBeau - that he sees Troy as someone so special that the defense tends to become "Troy plus ten other guys" rather than eleven guys who each have talent and a role to complement that talent.

:thumbsup:

TRH
11-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Clark seems more of the "leader" - i wouldn't exactly call him a star.

If Woodley could just step it up just a bit and play at his highest level, he would no doubt be the star.
He has bursts of "starpower", but also goes long periods doing disappearing acts.

browner63
11-11-2012, 08:25 AM
I would say Lewis right now. He is taking away the opponents passing game since most teams dont throw to Ike's side which frees up the linebackers to roam and make plays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Todd Haley- he is keeping the defense off the field for extended periods of time. Haley's 4 minute offense sealed the Giants game and never gave them a chance to let Eli try and win on the final drive.

bhandsome08
11-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Clark. He's definitely the leader of the secondary. It's really been gelling good lately.
Timmons has been good also. Can't wait till we get another ILB that's good in pass coverage to allow him to blitz more. Think he could into the QB of the LBs? Idk yet.

BritishSteel
11-12-2012, 03:49 AM
In the last few games, it's been a strength in our D that no-one has stood out spectacularly, but that every guy has stepped up when they've needed to - Timmons, Clark and Lewis spring to mind, but we've had big plays of of BK and Foote, and even Big Snack looks interested again. It's playing as a complete unit, and it makes every player in it look better.

maddog78
11-12-2012, 06:53 AM
If they can dumb things down enough for Timmons so that he's a dog chasing raw meat, he would be the guy. Unfortunately, his position requires thinking too often, and that's his downfall. Always a step behind because his rusty gears are turning too slowly.

FanSince72
11-12-2012, 08:41 AM
its not just dick lebeau (still cant figure out why you are the ONLY one who hates on him incessantly). everybody else on this blue planet we call earth, thinks troy is that special as well.

you mean to tell me all those years we have been #1 in defense, going to afcc games, winning superbowls and having defensive MVP's, healthy troy was actually hurting the defense? :tap:

i should tweet this to ryan clark so he can laugh his ass off as well. :smh:

I'm not "hating on" LeBeau, I'm just criticizing him (two very different things) because I've seen him fall into a rut these last few seasons where he seems to be relying too much on talent and not enough on smarts and that has produced a rather stale product.

I'm happy to see that he's decided to change that this season and has plugged himself in to things more and is now using the talent he has to our best advantage. For example, I think he's begun to realize that defensive success doesn't have to rest upon whether or not Troy is on the field and he's actually begun to develop game plans that work without Troy rather than game plans that are simply patched together "until Troy gets back" and that has made a huge difference.

Troy may have really been a "secret weapon" years ago because he was younger and healthier and he was largely an unknown quantity. But as the years have moved on, Troy is beginning to lose a step (like everyone eventually does) and the rest of the league isn't awed by him anymore and so his superhero effect has diminished.

I think Troy still has many good years left, but more as part of a talented unit rather than as some freakish boy wonder and I think that unit is working very well lately because it seems LeBeau has finally accepted that as well and is moving in a different direction.

I criticize LeBeau because I've seen what he can do and I've been blown away by his creativity and I haven't seen much of that in the last couple of seasons and I don't want to see a guy like him just fade away into obscurity. I wanted him to get that fire back and I think he has and I can't wait to see what he has dreamed up once Troy comes back and I hope it isn't anything like what we've seen before.

We'll see...

BengalDestroyer
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Ryan "The Head Hunter" Clark

desertsteel
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Ryan "The Head Hunter" Clark
He just got fined $50K for your post LOL

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM

and James Harrison was fined $100k...

STEELAMANIA
11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
IMHO, nobody has been dominant so far. Lewis's pass breakups are a breath of fresh air compared to William Gay from last season. Other than that, nobody is a true dominant player....yet.

FrancoLambert
11-12-2012, 04:25 PM

I just got fined for laughing at your remarks.

4xSBChamps
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM

"... I said $250,000...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

... you swine!!!"

ZoneBlitzer
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
My two bits for Ryan Clark as well. His play has been phenomenal.

jiminpa
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm not "hating on" LeBeau, The only one you are fooling with that statement is you.

austinfrench76
11-13-2012, 07:49 PM
IMO Ryan Clark. Great at what they ask him to do!

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
the woodendong

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
The only one you are fooling with that statement is you.

If that's true then why did you leave out the rest of my "statement"?

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not "hating on" LeBeau, I'm just criticizing him (two very different things) because I've seen him fall into a rut these last few seasons where he seems to be relying too much on talent and not enough on smarts and that has produced a rather stale product.

I'm happy to see that he's decided to change that this season and has plugged himself in to things more and is now using the talent he has to our best advantage. For example, I think he's begun to realize that defensive success doesn't have to rest upon whether or not Troy is on the field and he's actually begun to develop game plans that work without Troy rather than game plans that are simply patched together "until Troy gets back" and that has made a huge difference.

Troy may have really been a "secret weapon" years ago because he was younger and healthier and he was largely an unknown quantity. But as the years have moved on, Troy is beginning to lose a step (like everyone eventually does) and the rest of the league isn't awed by him anymore and so his superhero effect has diminished.

I think Troy still has many good years left, but more as part of a talented unit rather than as some freakish boy wonder and I think that unit is working very well lately because it seems LeBeau has finally accepted that as well and is moving in a different direction.

I criticize LeBeau because I've seen what he can do and I've been blown away by his creativity and I haven't seen much of that in the last couple of seasons and I don't want to see a guy like him just fade away into obscurity. I wanted him to get that fire back and I think he has and I can't wait to see what he has dreamed up once Troy comes back and I hope it isn't anything like what we've seen before.

We'll see...while i may not think lebeau deserves critisizm, or even agree with all of this response, i can certainly respect it. :drink:

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
while i may not think lebeau deserves critisizm, or even agree with all of this response, i can certainly respect it. :drink:

Thank you!

Spoken like an open-minded person! :drink:

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
oh, and am i the only one kinda hoping ryan clark tones it down just a notch? he has been great not putting other players into the hospital, but it seems the residual effect of that is him knocking himself out. he has done a great job replacing polamalus intensity and impact, but i sure would hate to see him at the age of 45, sitting curbside in a lawnchar as traffic goes by, thinking he is a glass of orange juice, as he drools onto his lap.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you!

Spoken like an open-minded person! :drink:

i may give you grief because i kinda strongly disagree in certain areas, but you stand by your convictions and back them up w/ fairly sound reasoning (even if i dont agree).

that is your right, as is mine and doesnt diminish either of our takes on the situation (even if i have gone overboard and said youre full of shit :laughing:) :hatsoff:

in the end we're all on the same side.

:doh: damn... who the hell slipped ecstasy in my dinner??? :peace:

Terminator
11-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think there has been any one player this season that stands out on defense above the rest, to be honest. Many have had great games, and also basic no-shows.

Lamarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Clark, and Larry Foot have all been playing great.

Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, and Brett Kiesel have had a few good games, and crucial plays.

James Harrison and Ziggy Hood have been major disappointments.

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Joey Porter duh

FanSince72
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM
i may give you grief because i kinda strongly disagree in certain areas, but you stand by your convictions and back them up w/ fairly sound reasoning (even if i dont agree).

that is your right, as is mine and doesnt diminish either of our takes on the situation (even if i have gone overboard and said youre full of shit :laughing:) :hatsoff:

in the end we're all on the same side.

:doh: damn... who the hell slipped ecstasy in my dinner??? :peace:

Let me tell you something...

if I had a dime for everyone who told me I was full of shit, I'd be a very rich man!

Way back when we were all living in caves, I'm sure that the guy who stood up one day and said that if we cut down some trees we could make a drier and warmer place to live was initially told that he was full of shit. But after some trees WERE cut down and the new digs really WERE warmer and drier, there may still have been a few guys who insisted on staying in the cave (probably the ancestors of future Ravens fans), but I'd bet that most of them preferred the house.

That's the "downside" of being an opinionated person -- there will always be someone who can't wait to tell us that we're full of shit.

But what fun would it be otherwise? :drink:

steelfury02
11-14-2012, 09:27 AM
there is some serious man-love going on

I like the energy in this thread:chuckle:

Ziggy isn't wowing me yet - and I'm not looking for flashy plays - just feel like he is getting blown off the ball a little bit - I dunno - nitpicking a little

You know, I was on here about a month ago talking about how I couldn't stand seeing Casey Hampton out there anymore. I really think he is having a bit of a renaissance over the past 4 games. Seems like the 04'-05' Casey Hampton at times.

jiminpa
11-14-2012, 10:41 PM
there is some serious man-love going on

I like the energy in this thread:chuckle:

Ziggy isn't wowing me yet - and I'm not looking for flashy plays - just feel like he is getting blown off the ball a little bit - I dunno - nitpicking a little

You know, I was on here about a month ago talking about how I couldn't stand seeing Casey Hampton out there anymore. I really think he is having a bit of a renaissance over the past 4 games. Seems like the 04'-05' Casey Hampton at times.I don't think you're nitpicking a bit. In fact you are understating it. KC's whole offensive gameplan was run over Ziggy every play, and it worked until LeBeau gave him help.

Terminator
11-15-2012, 06:15 AM
I had high hopes for Ziggy this year after seeing his training videos from the summer. The dude worked his ass off to get in good shape. Maybe the raw talent just isn't there.

Who knows, maybe a JJ Watt 2.0 will come around.

kent
11-15-2012, 06:22 AM
I wouldnt say there is "star" on this defense right now. Clark has really proven to be a leader though, both vocally and with the intensity that he plays with. James is over the hill. I think Woodley and troy both still have star qualities if fully healthy.

Terminator
11-15-2012, 06:34 AM
I wouldnt say there is "star" on this defense right now. Clark has really proven to be a leader though, both vocally and with the intensity that he plays with. James is over the hill. I think Woodley and troy both still have star qualities if fully healthy.

James has become such a non-factor this year, that I honestly forget that he even starts. He has about as many tackles as Troy does, who has only played in 1.5 games.

lardlad
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
It could be Timmons if they would allow him to play a more aggressive role. I think he is best when allowed to rush the passer and cause havoc, but is only put in that position once or twice a game it seems.

Clark or Timmons.

Fire Arians
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
The WoodenDong Report (http://www.stillers.com/Article/View/082bb7db-1b86-40b3-b5c3-b1ef1fe3a026) is in...

lardlad
11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
IMHO, nobody has been dominant so far. Lewis's pass breakups are a breath of fresh air compared to William Gay from last season. Other than that, nobody is a true dominant player....yet.

I was worried about William Gay leaving. But with Lewis I see no drop off.