PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Empty Seats

SteelerNation89
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I have to ask why there are always empty seats at Steelers games, especially when the weather is bad. Do these people go somewhere else or not show up? It is very annoying to see it, I know our fans are better than that.

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
It's frequent to see empty spots when we play loser teams. I love going to Browns games because tickets are cheap on CL. I also find a lot of people leave their seats to stand along balconies, down in the open end, etc.. There's also a lot of sit down places to eat inside where you can watch the game on screens.

Bayz101
11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I rarely see empty seats, actually. It IS pouring rain right now, but I STILL think we'll have a full house.

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I rarely see empty seats, actually. It IS pouring rain right now, but I STILL think we'll have a full house.

"Empty" for us is certainly very different from most teams. We have sprinkled empty seats, and that's pretty much as bad as it gets. But teams like the Bengals are tarping off entire sections. You'll never see that happen at Heinz field. You'll likely never even see it happen at any of our away games, because Steeler fans will buy up enough tickets to sell it out.

Usually when we go maybe 1 in 10 seats will be empty. Again, we usually go when they play crap teams later on during colder weather, and a good bit of the empties are standing up somewhere nearby.

SteelersCanada
11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Every single home game has been sold out since '74. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

edit: obviously with piss-poor conditions there's going to be a few empty seats, but even then it's usually at capacity.

Millers the sh!t
11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Maybe ur watching ESPN pregame an hour before kickoff

rgj
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Right now, this LOSER team has a 7-0 lead on the Steelers, getting their FIRST 1st quarter TD this season, eating up the "league-leading" NFL "defense."

steeltheone
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Selling out a game does not mean everybody shows up.....esp in bad weather!

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
"Empty" for us is certainly very different from most teams. We have sprinkled empty seats, and that's pretty much as bad as it gets. But teams like the Bengals are tarping off entire sections. You'll never see that happen at Heinz field. You'll likely never even see it happen at any of our away games, because Steeler fans will buy up enough tickets to sell it out.

Usually when we go maybe 1 in 10 seats will be empty. Again, we usually go when they play crap teams later on during colder weather, and a good bit of the empties are standing up somewhere nearby.

Agreed.

At the beginning, of the season, San Diego was playing an undefeated Atlanta team... and the game was blacked out. Again, it was a great match-up. That's why SD & JAX will likely be heading to LA... and PITT will have a team for all eternity.

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Yea there were easily 30-40% of the seats empty by the 2nd half. The steeler nation is everywhere, but really you have to question the locals not showing up to home games like they should. Rain? really? Even the announcers said something about it in the 4th. Not good.

I've been a steeler fan my whole life... but I have to say you would NEVER see that in Lambeau field. I think we are #2 when it comes to "home" field support. We are #1 when it comes to away game support. Quiet when 30% of the fans leave or don't show up.

ZoneBlitzer
11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I noticed the empty seats as well. It looks really bad on national TV. Steeler 'home' nation is not representing very well at all of late. I noticed it during the 'skins game too.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:32 AM
people hate the steelers. next home game will be blacked out.... :rolleyes:

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I noticed the empty seats as well. It looks really bad on national TV. Steeler 'home' nation is not representing very well at all of late. I noticed it during the 'skins game too.

I'm sorry, but it was BAD out there. And I mean BAD. Snow is one thing, but when you're getting DRENCHED, and you're SITTING THERE, it's a little harder to hang around.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:34 AM
people get all uptight if "national TV" shows a stadium shot during food/bathroom/beer runs.

"OMG our stanz arent fullzzzzz > hwatever shall i doo??? how ever shall we winn????"

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:36 AM
:shout:-FIRE THE FANS!!!

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry, but it was BAD out there. And I mean BAD. Snow is one thing, but when you're getting DRENCHED, and you're SITTING THERE, it's a little harder to hang around.

Seriously? Please delete this post... it's embarrassing. I've been to games in well below ZERO temps w/ wind... and I've been to games in the rain and cold.... I'll take rain and cold ANY DAY. The weather wasn't a surprise... rain gear is pretty easy to come by these days. 3 Rivers didn't have this problem... if we want to be considered the best fans in the NFL ... a little rain doesn't scare you off... LIke I said... Watch any GB game.. the stadium is FULL100% of the time. I live in Wi.... It's bad enough listening to packer fans talk their @#$% to me.... After I've been telling them steeler nation is 2nd to none for the past 20+ years...and they see that... It's not good.

SteelersCanada
11-13-2012, 12:39 AM

:rofl: People don't want to sit in the pouring rain and take the chance of getting sick. It sucks sitting in the rain and getting drenched, especially when your team isn't playing well.

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:40 AM

We aint talking about a blow out here... IT WAS IN OT FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

Every fan that left or didn't show up should be spanked with a board... BY Jack Lambert and Mean Joe Greene.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Seriously? Please delete this post... it's embarrassing. I've been to games in well below ZERO temps w/ wind... and I've been to games in the rain and cold.... I'll take rain and cold ANY DAY. The weather wasn't a surprise... rain gear is pretty easy to come by these days. 3 Rivers didn't have this problem... if we want to be considered the best fans in the NFL ... a little rain doesn't scare you off... LIke I said... Watch any GB game.. the stadium is FULL100% of the time. I live in Wi.... It's bad enough listening to packer fans talk their @#$% to me.... After I've been telling them steeler nation is 2nd to none for the past 20+ years...and they see that... It's not good.i feel sorry for fans who internalize otrher fans talking a little bit of smack to them.

some steelerfans think they are far superior human beings than everyone else in the world.

they need to get over themselves. :doh:

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:48 AM
I watched from home, too.
Sincerely,
Noah

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
i feel sorry for fans who internalize otrher fans talking a little bit of smack to them.

some steelerfans think they are far superior human beings than everyone else in the world.

they need to get over themselves. :doh:

Well come one dude... really? we basically are ... I mean lets be real.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:58 AM
I've actually been noticing this all season. I wouldn't say the stadium is empty, but I'm definitely noticing an unusually large number of empty seats at Heinz Field every game.

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I've actually been noticing this all season. I wouldn't say the stadium is empty, but I'm definitely noticing an unusually large number of empty seats at Heinz Field every game.

Maybe they were more into the Pirates late run

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Are we really having a 3 page discussion on the ratio of empty to full seats at Heinz field? Steelers fill the place. Yea, there are empties...but there always will be. Again, check out some Bengals games if you want to see an empty stadium.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Are we really having a 3 page discussion on the ratio of empty to full seats at Heinz field? .yeah.

we won, and some fans were in full on bitch mode ready to unleash because of a loss.

since they cant bitch about the loss, they still need something to bitch about to feel some sense of gratification for their "OMG THE STEELERZ LOST" boner.

:jerkit:

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
yeah.

we won, and some fans were in full on bitch mode ready to unleash because of a loss.

since they cant bitch about the loss, they still need something to bitch about to feel some sense of gratification for their "OMG THE STEELERZ LOST" boner.

:jerkit:

It's pretty obviously you were one of the ***** / fair weather fans that ran for the car early to warm up in his snuggy! .... or did you just give your ticket away to a chiefs fan? :doh:

SteelCityMom
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
The empty seats have little to do with the weather. They have more to do with the ticket prices and who is buying tickets more nowadays. This obviously doesn't go for all fans at the game, but every year more and more are well to do folks, business owners who take clients to games...the wine and cheese crowd. Those are the folks who, in inclement weather, go and watch the game from the inside.

I'm one of those that would love to go to all the home games, and stay the whole time to cheer my team on...but blue collar folks, less and less, have hundreds of dollars to drop on a game. Back when tickets were realistically priced and the economy wasn't f-ed, all the die hards could afford to show up every week.

TRH
11-13-2012, 08:30 AM
the weather was the huge factor in this game with everyone leaving.

But yes - still embarrassing considering it was a close game that went down to the wire (as usual). They knew what the weather would be like - you would think more people would be prepared and ready for the elements. Its 3 hours - not 12.

SuperSteelers
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
The empty seats have little to do with the weather. They have more to do with the ticket prices and who is buying tickets more nowadays. This obviously doesn't go for all fans at the game, but every year more and more are well to do folks, business owners who take clients to games...the wine and cheese crowd. Those are the folks who, in inclement weather, go and watch the game from the inside.

I'm one of those that would love to go to all the home games, and stay the whole time to cheer my team on...but blue collar folks, less and less, have hundreds of dollars to drop on a game. Back when tickets were realistically priced and the economy wasn't f-ed, all the die hards could afford to show up every week.

You are right on the money, SC Mom. Back when I lived in the Burgh, I only went to a handful of games at 3 Rivers. Since I moved away, every time I visit, I get 4 tickets to the game. Not many of my friends can afford to spend the money to do that for their family. Be it only once a year.

Times have changed. The film you see from back in the 70's is a completely different demographic. Today, I would say that 50% are fair weather wine & cheese fans... so it's natural they won't show/stay in weather like last night.

BTW, I would rather sit in 20F weather for 3 hours than 50F rain and wind. When you are wet, the cold feels so much worse.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
It's pretty obviously you were one of the ***** / fair weather fans that ran for the car early to warm up in his snuggy! .... or did you just give your ticket away to a chiefs fan? :doh:anyone know what ditch this guy was laying face down in before his family was called to bail him out?

i sure hope he has finally sobered up. :alcoholic:

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
and honestly, part of the problem is - there is still a demographic that really truly can't afford the tickets (even the nosebleeds) and are still charging it to their credit cards - hence, demand is always there. people I know for a fact, are spending half to most of a really small paycheck on tickets, bills/utilities be damned. It is a spend now generation from my view.

The last few times I went to Heinz, there are a TON, a TON of people standing inside when its cold without any kind of precipitation - it doesn't mean there are empty seats in terms of people not showing up - but the crowd IMO has gotten a little "wussified"

I am one of the fans that will get there early enough, tailgate, check out some of the food vendors and the memorabilia before I sit down - because no matter who they are facing - I'm glued to the game once it starts. A ton of season ticket holders (and to generalize - are spoiled ROTTEN in a lot of cases) get up what seems every 15 to 20 minutes - it amazes me how often some people get up CONSTANTLY - it is maddening really. You know, it is their right to do it however they want, and for the love of god - have some stadium food and beer (it is a football game afterall) - but the average Heinz field visitor is not filled with absolute die hards that care for the game, and everything else is second. It is about 50/50 - and that is from watching games in about every section imaginable. Just my two cents. I get a little annoyed by it at times, but then I do see the 1 guy trying to make his 3 kids happy with blankets and hot dogs galore - and it is cool to see that (and pretty hard to manage - hence families getting up a lot)

Ah well - playoff time at Heinz is another beast altogether though!

R2sojr
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM

I was at the game at 6:00. I was soaked by the time i went from the Rivers to accross the street. It really wasnt the rain but the wind was crazy before. If u tailgated at all u were soaked and frozen even before the game. I always go to winter games in the snow and cold weather. But i can say the rain made it terrible. I left the 4th qtr and my legs were so soaked i could barely walk....lol

harrison'samonster
11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
personally I prefer to watch games at home. I don't like big crowds, can't afford the tickets or stadium prices for anything, and it's always comfortable on the couch. Most importantly, no lines for the bathrooms!

I don't think I would be able to stand getting wet in cold weather and just sitting in my seat. I don't mind being wet in cold weather while working, but it seems like it would be miserable to just sit in cold rain.