PDA

View Full Version : Post Chiefs game discussion thread/Gameball

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
It was ugly, but Timmons came up big. I never thought we'd be carried by refs for a change. We need to hope Ben is OK, though. Clark too. Ugly, ugly win...but a WIN.

Steel_Bus_24
11-12-2012, 11:58 PM
We have to pray Ben's injury isn't season ending

NoFieldFive
need to get Batch ready to start. Leftwich looked scared out there. can't be afraid to throw some balls.

those wide receiver screens are coming back more each week.

keep going to Miller until they stop him.

steeltheone
It was ugly....The chiefs drop like 50 passes? But it's a win! Go Steelers!

Lady Steel
11-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I work 2nd shift and was at work during most of the game, but I did get to see most of it. I thought our Steelers would win this game big. Boy was I wrong. I was really disappointed in the team I saw today. I've always been a believer, but with Ben out now for God only knows how long, I'm feeling very discouraged about next week's game against the Ravens. I'm still hopeful, but it's becoming very difficult. This team has a lot of work to do in a week's time.

If Ben is unable to play, I agree with the poster who said Batch needs to be ready. We also need Antonio Brown back, pronto!

steeltheone
11-12-2012, 11:59 PM
need to get Batch ready to start. Leftwich looked scared out there. can't be afraid to throw some balls.

those wide receiver screens are coming back more each week.

keep going to Miller until they stop him.

Need them both, either 1 or both of them will get hurt!!!

acumen
11-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Top QB out. Top WR out. Top RB out. RT out. Top linebacker playing at half capacity. Top defensive player out.

It was ugly, but we did it. Huge game from the D, and Timmons in particular. Like Gruden said, sometimes you gotta win 'em ugly. Would've liked to dominate the Chiefs like we should but you could see the team lose confidence once Ben went down. Just happy with the win.

In other news, Leftwich is awful.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:03 AM
If Ben or Clark is out I would think we drop the Ravens game. Then we split 1-1 with them for the year. Ben didn't look too bad though. His shoulder didn't seem to be distorted or anything, and they didn't have him in a sling, so maybe he'll be ok.

Lady Steel
11-13-2012, 12:04 AM
In other news, Leftwich is awful.

I STAMP that! I can't stand Leftwich. Never could. Wish we would get rid of him for good already.

ETL
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't know about you but I think this is a great win. It was clearly a "trap" game with two games against the Ravens coming up and the Chiefs defense played well - playing to save their coach.

However our team gutted it out - with the backup QB in, the defense stepped it up. Not all games will be pretty. I know some fans want us to win 42-3 at all time but like I said during the gameday thread - all we need to do is win by 1 point and win we did.

To win ugly is a sign of a good team and I think we have a good team. Even if Ben can't go next week, I give our team a fair chance to beat the Ravens.

On a side note - there are a ton of angry anxious Steeler fans on the gameday thread. Posts such as " the defense sucks" "the season is over" , etc... were thrown out very early. Never have I seen such a group of over-reactors - almost all of it negative. God, these people get so worked up - I am surprised some of them don't have heart attacks during the game.

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Reminded me of the game against the 1-15 Dolphins a few years ago.

Rain is the great equalizer.

JWashington
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't say Leftwich is awful. He's no BB, but with a weeks worth of reps, I think he'll be alright. Charlie Batch should get many of the reps this week as well. If Leftwich doesn't cut it, cut him and sign McNabb.

xbroughneck
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM
If Ben or Clark is out I would think we drop the Ravens game. Then we split 1-1 with them for the year. Ben didn't look too bad though. His shoulder didn't seem to be distorted or anything, and they didn't have him in a sling, so maybe he'll be ok.

Expect the worst, not the best.

Charlie Batch needs to be ready to start.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Expect the worst, not the best.

Charlie Batch needs to be ready to start.

IMO, Lefty AND Batch need to be ready. Those two are fragile. I was shocked Lefty made it tonight and we didn't have Sanders at QB in the 4th.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Ben has a separated shoulder, per multiple sources. More information in the morning.

Lady Steel
On a side note - there are a ton of angry anxious Steeler fans on the gameday thread. Posts such as " the defense sucks" "the season is over" , etc... were thrown out very early. Never have I seen such a group of over-reactors - almost all of it negative. God, these people get so worked up - I am surprised some of them don't have heart attacks during the game.

They're like that every week. I always just ignore the Debbie Downers. They're no fun.

austinfrench76
Boy Leftwich looked BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Charlie, until he gets killed, then bring in Lefty because we have no other options??

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-suffered-separated-shoulder-against-the-chiefs12462798.html

Sharkissle29
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
I just hope Ben is not out for the season at this point...

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Game Balls for Timmons and Clark. Clark almost shut down the drive that tied the game in the 4th, but we blew it on the next play. Timmons came up to handle things when it was looking grim.

Runner up to Wallace's crotch for making a big TD catch. How many girls do you think he'll get by saying his junk made a TD reception?

Lady Steel
11-13-2012, 12:15 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-suffered-separated-shoulder-against-the-chiefs12462798.html

That article said Ben's injury was "unusual." Figgers. What exactly does that mean? Leave it to Ben. :laughing:

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Where in the world did we get sandwich at? I thought we actually had a talented QB in reserve? He knows 4 plays and couldn't even get those right! I say fire Bruce and Todd Haley and let them take Sandwich with them! What a disappointment.

However as much as I have barged on our defense this year I will make a formal appology to our defense.

I am sorry. They have carried our team through AGAIN another win we probably should have lost. Our defense has really come together this year. It started off bad but by god they are finishing well! Well done guys...well done!

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Game Balls for Timmons and Clark. Clark almost shut down the drive that tied the game in the 4th, but we blew it on the next play. Timmons came up to handle things when it was looking grim.

Runner up to Wallace's crotch for making a big TD catch. How many girls do you think he'll get by saying his junk made a TD reception?

It was all Clark (he almost had an INT, as well). BUT, then once it went into OT, Timmons "has" to get the game ball.

Wallace dropped a previous TD... ergo, maybe BB should start throwing at his knees (as opposed to his hands). :wink02:

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 12:23 AM
That article said Ben's injury was "unusual." Figgers. What exactly does that mean? Leave it to Ben. :laughing:

I say coincidental to assure his time with wide and new kid. Very convenient especially while walking away with not even a glare on his face of pain. Even the announcer talked about how painful a shoulder separation is and Ben never showed any pain...very suspicious to me. What do you all think? Baby born and then all of a sudden Big Ben is back to normal or do you think it's a way to syke out Baltimore and screw with their head into approaching the game with cockiness?

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Well that was one ugly ugly win tonight. I really hope Ben's injury wasnt serious but it seems like its looking more and more that way. Figures its gotta happen right before we play 2 huge division games 2 of the next 3 weeks.

ZoneBlitzer
11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Awful ball game. Steelers are not primetime players this year. Ben is not primetime either. If he's out for any length of time, they are likely done. The Steelers have struggled this year when they are on in front of the nation. They look terrible as favorites. I had a feeling going in that this was going to be tough but I doubted myself thinking that they had learned their lesson - evidently not. It will be tough sledding from here on out. This isn't a polished ball club. They are not crisp or sharp, especially offensively. I see Ben struggling of late. His completion percentage is down and he doesn't seem to be cycling through his reads like he did earlier in the year.

Also, what is up with the home fans at Heinz field? Where is everybody? This is the second time now that I have noticed many empty seats. The stadium looks about half full to be honest and the crowd comes out flat just like the club.

Rotorhead
11-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Here all the doomsayers come, out of the woodwork to claim how bad this team is, sigh. We won, hopefully Bens wife is just having her baby lol!

stb_steeler
11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I say coincidental to assure his time with wide and new kid. Very convenient especially while walking away with not even a glare on his face of pain. Even the announcer talked about how painful a shoulder separation is and Ben never showed any pain...very suspicious to me. What do you all think? Baby born and then all of a sudden Big Ben is back to normal or do you think it's a way to syke out Baltimore and screw with their head into approaching the game with cockiness?

dude why would Ben take a chance on throwing the game?

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:39 AM
larry timmons made the game winning play. the gameball is his (hell, he walked off the field with it before the final whistles blew).

thats how you seal the deal!

TRH
11-13-2012, 12:42 AM
larry timmons made the game winning play. the gameball is his (hell, he walked off the field with it before the final whistles blew).

thats how you seal the deal!

agreed.
Timmons was playing outstanding before the INT and had several ridiculously good plays (as pointed out earlier by Gruden). No doubt the game ball goes to him.

LVSteelersfan
11-13-2012, 12:42 AM
We're 6-3 people. Get off their case. Considering we were 2-3 at one point, I am ecstatic. As long as we don't have to depend on Leftwich for any length of time. I never liked him. That long windup of his is just asking for a fumble to happen. Suggs will eat him for lunch.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:43 AM
We're 6-3 people. Get off their case. Considering we were 2-3 at one point, I am ecstatic. As long as we don't have to depend on Leftwich for any length of time. I never liked him. That long windup of his is just asking for a fumble to happen. Suggs will eat him for lunch.

No way Suggs eats Lefty. I don't think even Hampton could eat a meal that size.

Lady Steel
11-13-2012, 12:44 AM

No.

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:45 AM
No way Suggs eats Lefty. I don't think even Hampton could eat a meal that size.

Have you seen Suggs lately??? :wink02:

JWashington
11-13-2012, 12:47 AM
After 30 odd years as a Steelers fan, I along with many others on this forum have endured a few bad seasons. We've sat through the Abercrombie, Frank Pollard, Scott Campbell and Bubby Bristers of the world. We have a really good team, not overwhelmingly great but good enough to make some noise in this league. Right now many fans are spoiled rotten. Bitching like we got blown out or something. It was an ugly win, get over it and let's rally around whoever going to start.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:51 AM
After 30 odd years as a Steelers fan, I along with many others on this forum have endured a few bad seasons. We've sat through the Abercrombie, Frank Pollard, Scott Campbell and Bubby Bristers of the world. We have a really good team, not overwhelmingly great but good enough to make some noise in this league. Right now many fans are spoiled rotten. Bitching like we got blown out or something. It was an ugly win, get over it and let's rally around whoever going to start.

My only complaint tonight was that the first half we clearly hadn't come to play. No matter how many shit teams rough us up, we never learn from it. We dug in and pulled it out, but we have to stop doing this. The refs also bailed us out a few times, which was embarrassing. It's not that this team is actually bad, it's that they play bad.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:54 AM
This may come off as a dickish rant, and if so, I apologize.

I am pretty pissed off though right now.

Dwyer and Redman looked like crap the entire night. The offensive line lost their magic. The defense didn't even show up until the 2nd half. And on top of all that we have an injured Ryan Clark and Ike Taylor, and a potentially OUT Big Ben (just saw on the news he has a separated shoulder). Also, despite Timmons amazing performance, we still have so few turnovers or sacks, and it's really bugging the hell out of me.

Need to clean it up for Baltimore next week.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:59 AM

this. :hatsoff:

50-0 woulda been great, but it woulda been just as empty as the ravens 50 point ass kicking of the raiders come next week.

a win is a win, and next weeks opponent is a whole new gaeme.

BritishSteel
11-13-2012, 05:20 AM
It was The Chiefs and it was wet as hell - for those two reasons alone, you take the win, smile and move on.

Millers the sh!t
11-13-2012, 06:06 AM
I've stated in previous weeks my concern that the offense was getting repetitive and predictable, and that it was only a matter of time before we would start struggling.
It seemed to me that last night was the night that the league caught on. Plays were getting blown up left and right. Didn't matter who says at the helm. Running or passing

Lokki
11-13-2012, 06:33 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa.. slow down there. After everything BB has done, I don't think that he would ever fake an injury to leave a game on purpose. How many has he played through? He already has permission from everyone in the organization to miss a game if his wife is in labor on game day. Why on earth would he need to fake an injury? How many times have you seen Ben show the pain on his face when he's played through injuries? The dude is the epitome of toughness.

I've whipped up a new Conspiracy Keanu meme for you.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30119589.jpg

Lokki
11-13-2012, 06:39 AM

This. After three weeks of magic, everyone is jumping off of the bridge after an ugly game, in ugly weather. Everyone knew it was a trap game. Ben got hurt after we had tied the game. I have no doubt that if Ben had not gotten hurt, that the game would never have made it to overtime. We would've won by at least 14 since the D was making stops finally.

People need to come down off of the bridge. It was a very ugly win, but it was a win. We are 6-3 and face the Ravens Sunday. Let's focus our energies there and forget about this game.

:tt04:

TRH
11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Have you seen Suggs lately??? :wink02:

Yeah. Suggs has been better than what we've been getting from Harrison - but far from his "defensive player of the year" quality of play.
He's probably at about 70% or so

teegre
11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah. Suggs has been better than what we've been getting from Harrison - but far from his "defensive player of the year" quality of play.
He's probably at about 70% or so

I was meaning literally: "Suggs could EAT him for lunch."

maddog78
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
It was clearly a "trap" game

Like Cleveland twice last year? Indy, KC, and Jax last year? Oak and Tenn this year?

This team can't seem to avoid traps.

Or maybe they're just not as good as fans think.

lotas
11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Like Cleveland twice last year? Indy, KC, and Jax last year? Oak and Tenn this year?

This team can't seem to avoid traps.

Or maybe they're just not as good as fans think.
Any given Sunday.

I don't know why games like this still surprise Steeler fans. We do not blow out oppponents, it rarely happens. Games like Oakland, Ten, KC, Cleveland, these worry me more than Cinci or Philly or NYG. Welcome to being a Steelers fan. We get to sweat the shittiest teams in the league.

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 09:41 AM
any given week - and, don't underestimate the idea of teams wanting to lay a licking on the Steelers - plenty of haters out there

maddog78
11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Any given Sunday.

I don't know why games like this still surprise Steeler fans. We do not blow out oppponents, it rarely happens. Games like Oakland, Ten, KC, Cleveland, these worry me more than Cinci or Philly or NYG. Welcome to being a Steelers fan. We get to sweat the shittiest teams in the league.

More like every given Sunday with this team. If we're huge favorites, expect a loss or nail-biting, narrow escape.

Maybe it's just an immature team. When you're talking all week of not overlooking a team, chances are you already have.

I have full confidence they'll play harder and better against the Ravens, I just wish they could get up for every game like they do the Ravens.

DoctorCAD
11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Statistically, KC is the worst team in the NFL since 1929.

We couldn't stop their running game.
We couldn't move the ball, even with Ben in there.
We took 3 instead of 7 too often yet again.
We let the game go into overtime when we had been smothering the passing game all night. 7 completions all night and we let him go 4 - 5 in that 30 second game-tying drive.
We got tons of "favorable" calls to even stay in the game.

All of that against the WORST TEAM IN THE NFL SINCE 1929.

Sorry if it creates negativity, but it should. We as fans expect better, pay for better and want better.

This is the only way for fans to show their disapproval, not like we can take a trip to Tomlins house and talk to him.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 10:31 AM

We let the game go into overtime when we had been smothering the passing game all night. 7 completions all night and we let him go 4 - 5 in that 30 second game-tying drive.

Sorry if it creates negativity, but it should. We as fans expect better, pay for better and want better.

This is the only way for fans to show their disapproval, not like we can take a trip to Tomlins house and talk to him.you all stomp your feet to your little hearts content. thats what we are here for. :hatsoff:

do you need a hug as well? :hug:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 10:45 AM

That is why the game is played on TURF....NOT ON STATISTICS FROM FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS or MADDEN 2012.

This was a simple case of Eric Winston, Brandon Albert, Jon Asumoa, Ryan Lilja, Jeff Allen blocking for Charles and Hillis was better than the Steelers front 7. Conversely, I saw Foster, Colon, Starks standing around too often and making one block then watching the play.

Chiefs controlled the running game in wet conditions. Larry Foote was pushed 8 yards downfield all game and instead the Chiefs front 7 and Derrick Johnson was attacking the Steelers RB's all game.

Take the win, move onto next week where chances are slim without Ben, Troy, RC25, Brown, Mendenhall.

SuperSteelers
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM

This is the only way for fans to show their disapproval, not like we can take a trip to Tomlins house and talk to him.

The key word in your post is STATISTICALLY.

The Steelers beat a bad team which played their 'A' game, with a "C-" performance.

DoctorCAD
11-13-2012, 10:50 AM
you all stomp your feet to your little hearts content. thats what we are here for. :hatsoff:

do you need a hug as well? :hug:

Not from you...

Gotta nice looking mom?

DoctorCAD
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
The key word in your post is STATISTICALLY.

The Steelers beat a bad team which played their 'A' game, with a "C-" performance.

Good thing their A game was worse than our C- game!

Steel Peon
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Good thing their A game was worse than our C- game!
Indeed. I knew that KC was going to come out like this was their Super Bowl, but I expected Haley to have a fairly solid game plan against a team he should know inside and out. Maybe he could never figure them out, and that's why it didn't work out for him in KC. Either way, the heavy competition was expected, but our ineptitude was surprising.....at least the refs have figured out what an incomplete pass is.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Here's an interesting stat that was posted from the game...

When the Steelers sent five or more pass-rushers Monday, Cassel was 1-for-8 for 5 yards. His 0.6 yards per attempt against such pressure is the lowest for any quarterback with more than two attempts in a game this season.

The Steelers sent five or more pass-rushers on 9 of 30 (30.0 percent) drop backs Monday. Over the last four games (all wins), the Steelers have sent five or more pass-rushers on 29.2 percent of drop backs after sending such pressure on 48.9 percent of drop backs in their first five games (highest in NFL).

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Here's an interesting stat that was posted from the game...

I think it shows that the Steelers can not get pressure on the QB with only 4 rushers. Thats not good. Shows that even if they rushed Hood, Keisel, Woodley, Harrison....they are not getting pressure on QB.

Need an elite pass rusher in the draft, plus another safety.

WVABE
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
How many other worst teams in the nfl do we have to play. I hope its none, hope the rush D are hanging their heads today, they looked like pure shit.
At least we play the ravens this week, a better team that we should easily beat reguardless who the QB is.

That was a sad performance, it was pure luck we got a W.

EbonySteel86
11-13-2012, 03:36 PM
It look just like last year when we fought tooth and nail against the Chiefs and squeaked out a win. Wasn't Thigpen the Qb then? What is it with the Steelers having such a difficult time with these bottom feeder teams? P.S...Thank you Refs for giving us this win, you made up for last week. Way ta go fellas!

TheVet
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Tomlin's Steelers always seem to play down to the level of weak teams. I don't know why, but it's the same thing every year. The weak teams are permitted to hang around to the end, where a fluke can decide the game one way or another. No killer instinct.

The Steelers have been a great team during his tenure, but unlike other great teams, they don't blow out bad teams. They just don't.

Steelersfan87
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Big Ben injured for Steelers in close 16-13 OT win over Chiefs (http://www.examiner.com/article/big-ben-injured-for-steelers-close-16-13-ot-win-over-chiefs-part-1?cid=db_articles) (read more)

If there is such a thing as a Pyrrhic victory in professional sports, then winning a game while potentially losing your franchise quarterback would be as suitable an example as any. Such was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ overtime 16-13 victory over the lowly Kansas City Chiefs last night.

That is because during the third quarter of a 10-10 game at Heinz Field, Ben Roethlisberger dropped back for a pass on third down, only to be sandwiched between Chiefs outside linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston.

Roethlisberger, a quarterback with a reputation for toughness and playing through injuries, immediately left the field. And then he left the stadium. Spending the rest of the game, and part of the night, undergoing MRIs and various tests, trying to determine just what happened to his shoulder.

Last night, Roethlisberger’s agent, Ryan Tollner, described the injury as “unusual”. In his Tuesday press conference, head coach Mike Tomlin classified the injury as an SC shoulder sprain, and perhaps generally classified his status to play next week as questionable.

It is certainly quite questionable if Roethlisberger would be able to play next week. Yes, he has played through in-game injuries such as a broken nose and even a high ankle sprain. He is regarded as a player who leads by example, and part of that is playing through injuries.

But even should he be fit enough to play, at what level would the potential MVP candidate be able to perform with a sprained throwing shoulder?

Especially when the first opponent on the docket is the Baltimore Ravens, the team that has inflicted more physical pain upon him than any other team in the league.

What is more, the Steelers are entering the most critical part of their schedule. The Ravens boast a 7-2 record, holding a one-game lead over the now 6-3 Steelers. And the two play each other twice in the next three games.

To say that these two games are important would be an understatement. It is improbable that the Steelers would be able to win the AFC North without defeating the Ravens in both games.

If they were to be swept by the Ravens, as they were last season, they may be in jeopardy of not even making the playoffs. Especially since the Ravens currently hold all the tiebreakers should the two teams end up with the same record—as has been the case the past two seasons.

Thus, when Roethlisberger left the game, it became even more crucial to secure the victory over the Chiefs, because victories will be that much harder to come by with Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch—or an injured Ben Roethlisberger—under center.