PDA

View Full Version : Big Bens Injury

Pages : [1] 2

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
My brother turned to me, and said that maybe BB got a text, right before that third down play (when he got "injured") from his wife, that said, "I'm going into labor!!!"

So as to not suffer the onslaught of harassment from fans about leaving in the middle of the game, he left the game with an "injured" shoulder.

She has the baby... while BB is "injured",,, and no media backlash... and BB returns next week.

I thought he was daffy... until the announcers said that BB left in his wife's car. Not an ambulance... his wife's car.

Then again, he (& I) might be grasping at straws, in order to ignore the fact that BB might actually be injured.

You may now burst my "ostrich" bubble. :wink02:

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Does anyone else find is unusual Ben got a "mysterious" shoulder injury that even on video looked soft?

I say coincidental to assure his time with his wife and new kid. Very convenient especially while walking away with not even a glare of discomfort on his face of pain. Even the announcer talked about how painful a shoulder separation is and Ben never showed any pain...very suspicious to me. What do you all think? Baby born and then all of a sudden Big Ben is back to normal or do you think it's a way to syke out Baltimore and screw with their head into approaching the game with cockiness and unprepared or do you think he is actually injured? I still personally think its a franchise scheme.

SteelersCanada
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I hope that's it. I really, really do.

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Does anyone else find is unusual Ben got a "mysterious" shoulder injury that even on video looked soft?

I say coincidental to assure his time with his wife and new kid. Very convenient especially while walking away with not even a glare of discomfort on his face of pain. Even the announcer talked about how painful a shoulder separation is and Ben never showed any pain...very suspicious to me. What do you all think? Baby born and then all of a sudden Big Ben is back to normal or do you think it's a way to syke out Baltimore and screw with their head into approaching the game with cockiness and unprepared or do you think he is actually injured? I still personally think its a franchise scheme.

Ben wouldn't leave a game on the line like that. His team mates would castrate him if he did. Not to mention what the media would have to say.

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Idk, why would other reporters be commenting saying its a "unique" injury and stuff then

Also, merge this thread and the other one b4 we get two threads going on the same thing please

madtowndrunkard
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Yea cause no one will catch on to that when we find out his wife had a baby tonight...:rofl:

If Ben left the middle of the game for the birth of his child... I think he would have just left. Acting hurt is busch league... he'd be crucified. Not a chance that is what happened. His arm was limp. I'm guessing he couldn't feel his arm. Separation and pinched nerve. 2-3 weeks.

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Idk, why would other reporters be commenting saying its a "unique" injury and stuff then

Because, they cannot explain it in "real" terms.

What is BB's injury?

Uh... we're not sure... it's unique... we've never seen anything like it...

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:32 PM
This is a copy thread of one already started.

madtowndrunkard
11-12-2012, 11:32 PM
No one would fault him if he just ran off the field to be with his wife. That's happened to many of men while at work... no matter how important their job is. NFL QB.... Not so important.

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:33 PM

My bad... wait... I looked it up, we posted them almost simultaneously.

ChristianKustomz
That's what I thought too but 2 as 2 were just not adding up to me. Seems suspicious to me.

teegre

In fact, mine was started 2 minutes prior to that other one.

Great minds...

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:34 PM

thats why I said merge them duhhhh

stb_steeler
11-12-2012, 11:34 PM
they said the babies not due for 2-3 weeks.....but then again thats only an estimate

Bayz101
11-12-2012, 11:35 PM
SOFT? He SLAMMED into the ground full-force. Equivalent of slamming into concrete. If the ground was icy he'd probably lose his arm.

teegre
thats why I said merge them duhhhh

Uh... well... go ahead. I am not a mod. I can't merge threads... just like... uh... you can't. Duhhhh.

ChristianKustomz
I like minds that think a like! Iteans your smart!

:-)

SteelersCanada
11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I mean, it's possible this is it. Ben has a flair for the dramatic and could have easily just had his arm limp. If his wife does have her baby tonight, though, they could call it a "happy coincidence" and not talk about it anymore.

Maybe this is reaching, but I sincerely hope this is it. We can win without anyone else, but without Ben, we're toast.

teegre
I like minds that think a like! Iteans your smart!

We is... we certainly is. LOL

I agree with everything you said, by the way. 2 + 2 = 4... but, I keep seeing 5.

GoFor7
ESPN reporting it's a shoulder sprain.

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:37 PM
I mean, it's possible this is it. Ben has a flair for the dramatic and could have easily just had his arm limp. If his wife does have her baby tonight, though, they could call it a "happy coincidence" and not talk about it anymore.

Maybe this is reaching, but I sincerely hope this is it. We can win without anyone else, but without Ben, we're toast.

Wouldn't it be effing awesome, if it was true!?!

Nom more worry about the baby, and even more importantly, no worry about his throwing shoulder.

Fingers securely crossed.

4xSBChamps
11-12-2012, 11:37 PM
What is BB's injury?

Uh... we're not sure... it's unique... we've never seen anything like it...

"... I keep myself in a state of total & utter confusion at all-times...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg8.jpg

... even I don't know what the truth is..."

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 11:38 PM
SOFT? He SLAMMED into the ground full-force. Equivalent of slamming into concrete. If the ground was icy he'd probably lose his arm.

Shoulders are tricky things, as well. Sometimes you take a hit that doesn't even seem hard and the stars align and it pops. It happens.

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:38 PM
That's what I would normally think too but with the baby and the other faked injuries by the Steelers and the fact he showed no emotion (unless I missed it) that he was in any kind of discomfort or pain? I don't know. Maybe it's me but it just didnt look like that hard of a fall. Though Vick got knock out too with a concussion with a small slam to the ground. Who knows?

austinfrench76
11-12-2012, 11:39 PM
No one will know for sure, outside of the team, until tomorrow. Really didn't look like that hard of a hit but who am i to say. I'm just so used to him getting smashed and it not affecting him. Please be okay. Lefty looked awful!!!

TRH
11-12-2012, 11:40 PM
soft? Are you kidding me?
It wasn't "soft". He was sandwiched hard between 2 big defenders, then slammed down.
Also - it was shown over and over in ultra-slow-motion (which almost always never paints an accurate picture))......even i winced when i watched it in real-time.

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Uh... well... go ahead. I am not a mod. I can't merge threads... just like... uh... you can't. Duhhhh.

Thats like the one and only reason I hate this board is because its so unorganized. So many topics created about the same exact thing its ridiculous.

Lady Steel
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM

That's a ridiculous assumption in my opinion. Ben doesn't need to fake an injury to be at the birth of his son. He has already stated he will be at his son's birth, so he didn't need to fake an injury.

You stated he never showed any pain. Ben is a warrior. He plays even when he has a broken nose!

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
It wouldn't be a season if Big Ben werent hurt though, seems to happen in some form every year

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
That's a ridiculous assumption in my opinion. Ben doesn't need to fake an injury to be at the birth of his son. He has already stated he will be at his son's birth, so he didn't need to fake an injury.

You stated he never showed any pain. Ben is a warrior. He plays even when he has a broken nose!

True, BB is one tough SOB.

But, he walked out the locker room, saw the camera, and then pulled his arm to his side. Then, he got in a car, with his wife...

Truthfully, we are just hoping for a silver lining (as opposed to what is most likely: out 2-3 weeks).

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes but this wouldn't be a first time the Steelers have faked an injury for personal gain.

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:45 PM
ESPN says sources told them it was a sprained shoulder, no idea how true that is though

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:47 PM
But, he walked out the locker room, saw the camera, and then pulled his arm to his side. Then, he got in a car, with his wife.

Thats all I was saying and obviously I was not the only one who saw the show being put on either. Something is up and I want to know what?...!!!

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Thats all I was saying and obviously I was not the only one who saw the show being put on either. Something is up and I want to know what?...!!!

Agreed.

Even if we are wrong, we are hoping for something other than what it likely is... an injury. At the same time, something seems rotten in Denmark.

Regardless, hey, it is distracting people from posting "Fire LeBeau!!!" threads. :wink02:

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-suffered-separated-shoulder-against-the-chiefs12462798.html;_ylt=AkaKGHQFSyTDzhP8F8QNoZ05n YcB;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0c3RhbmJmBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhd HJvbiBTUE9SVFMgRlAEcGtnAzE0MDA2ZjM1LTcwMDUtMzkzNi1 hNmEyLWRmOWI4ZjExMjc0MQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24Ed mVyA2IxYWY3ZTIzLTJkNTMtMTFlMi05YmM3LTU3MDM5MzQ2NDk 2Mw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

FUCK, apparently separated shoulder but a unique injury, no idea if thats a good thing or bad, but either way this blows

Bayz101
11-12-2012, 11:52 PM
He did NOT hit the ground soft, and I have NO reason to believe he was faking an injury. I don't care what he did in the locker-room. Chances are he's no longer in pain and the doctors simply sent him to the hospital for further inspection. I'll certainly leave the tin-foil hats at home and simply hope he'll be OK going forward.

MACH1
You seriously think Tomlin let him fake an injury to duck out in the middle of a game? :doh:

Bayz101
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-suffered-separated-shoulder-against-the-chiefs12462798.html;_ylt=AkaKGHQFSyTDzhP8F8QNoZ05n YcB;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0c3RhbmJmBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhd HJvbiBTUE9SVFMgRlAEcGtnAzE0MDA2ZjM1LTcwMDUtMzkzNi1 hNmEyLWRmOWI4ZjExMjc0MQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24Ed mVyA2IxYWY3ZTIzLTJkNTMtMTFlMi05YmM3LTU3MDM5MzQ2NDk 2Mw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

FUCK

Steelers sources claimed they we're never told anything of a separated shoulder, and that they we're instead told it was a sprain.

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:53 PM

FUCK

Look at the operative word: "unusual."

I'd like that explained in more detail. Is it unusual because it will heal in a few days???

SteelCurtain5643
11-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Steelers sources claimed they we're never told anything of a separated shoulder, and that they we're instead told it was a sprain.

I kno, idk what to believe because idk how credible that Cole guy is. ESPN said it was w sprain though so who the hell knows. Guess we'll know for sure in the morning. I sure hope its a sprain and not a separation

teegre
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I kno, idk what to believe because idk how credible that Cole guy is. ESPN said it was w sprain though so who the hell knows. Guess we'll know for sure in the morning. I sure hope its a sprain and not a separation

Or... a really bad "Charlie horse."

4xSBChamps
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Steelers sources claimed they we're never told anything of a separated shoulder....

didn't he play in one of the winning SB (40 or 43?), claiming to have a broken thumb that nobody on the team knew-about?

Darkstorm05
11-12-2012, 11:57 PM
"Pain" is a poor indicator. How many of you have ever had a good dislocation, or a joint popped, or whatever. A lot of times it hurts like hell when it first happens, then you hold it still and find a position where it agrees not to go wild on you if you just mind your business and leave it be. What else would he take to the hospital? An ambulance for a strained shoulder? Not like he was nursing a gunshot wound here.

madtowndrunkard
11-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm guessing he followed half the steeler fans that left their seats... Ben didn't like the wet and cold weather either. :mad:

ChristianKustomz
11-12-2012, 11:59 PM
This is exactly what I'm saying. ESPN says its one thing, coach says its another thing, the video shows a whole different picture etc. It's not adding up for me.

I do hope, in the chance he actually is injured, that he will be ok and ready to play for us against Baltimore.

Big7BenHOF
11-13-2012, 12:01 AM
NFL Network reported right shoulder sprain, the severity of which is unknown.

Steel_Bus_24
Man these injuries just make analyzing this team maddening

It seems like theres always something extra that the steelers have to deal with every week

madtowndrunkard
This is exactly what I'm saying. ESPN says its one thing, coach says its another thing, the video shows a whole different picture etc. It's not adding up for me.

I do hope, in the chance he actually is injured, that he will be ok and ready to play for us against Baltimore.

Initially it looked like Ben's hand got stuck in the facemask of his tackler... I was initially thinking broken wrist... then they said his shoulder... the way he fell was classic "shoulder separation" even dilfer talked about it.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:02 AM
I think there's no question he was injured. I doubt very seriously he would fake an injury for ANY reason, and if the arm wasn't still bothering him, that he wouldn't come back in the game. You seen his ankle in Cleveland, no? Come on. I think questioning whether or not he got hurt is silly. Here's to hoping it's just a sprain and not a separation. Judging by the force in which he hit the ground, i'm not so optimistic. It sucks.

Darkstorm05

ESPN is some goober in Boston looking to score page views so he can spike the ball in his next annual review. Tomlin was there, and when the team doctors and trainers have info, it goes to Ben and Tomlin first. I don't believe any report until I see a quote from Tomlin or a Rooney. Even half the players talking injuries are pulling nonsense out of their asses.

teegre
"Pain" is a poor indicator. How many of you have ever had a good dislocation, or a joint popped, or whatever. A lot of times it hurts like hell when it first happens, then you hold it still and find a position where it agrees not to go wild on you if you just mind your business and leave it be. What else would he take to the hospital? An ambulance for a strained shoulder? Not like he was nursing a gunshot wound here.

To quote someone else:
Why would you let your $17 million QB go to the hospital in his pregnant wife's car... on a rainy night???

Wouldn't you take him in a company car or ambulance or something??? Again, this is THE franchise here (not some back-up TE). So much so, that I'm surprised Tomlin didn't drive BB himself.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Initially it looked like Ben's hand got stuck in the facemask of his tackler... I was initially thinking broken wrist... then they said his shoulder... the way he fell was classic "shoulder separation" even dilfer talked about it.

EXACTLY. He hit the ground and it looked like a shoulder-concrete collision. Not good.

4xSBChamps
11-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Not like he was nursing a gunshot wound here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RayLewiswithagun.jpg

we gon feex dat!!!

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
To quote someone else:
Why would you let your $17 million QB go to the hospital in his pregnant wife's car... on a rainy night???

Wouldn't you take him in a company car or ambulance or something??? Again, this is THE franchise here (not some back-up TE). So much so, that I'm surprised Tomlin didn't drive BB himself.

This isn't the president we're talking about. I see no problem with him being accompanied by his wife en-route to the hospital.

stb_steeler
Sprain shoulder.....Ben will be throwing next week....:popcorn:

Darkstorm05
To quote someone else:

That's pretty far out there, man. We could also ban him from having a house with a 2nd floor, so he won't fall down the stairs trying to a snack in the dark of night, ban him from eating shellfish in case of any digestive issues, maybe not allow him to cross streets without a crossing guard present. We're deep in tin foil hat land here.

MACH1
To quote someone else:

Remember how cheap the Rooneys are, maybe they didn't want to pay for the ambulance ride. :rolleyes:

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RayLewiswithagun.jpg

we gon feex dat!!!

I KNEW IT...RAY LEWIS DID IT!:toofunny:

PhantomJB93
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
There's no chance he was "acting" if he freaking left the stadium to get MRI's. We all know by now Ben plays if he can no matter what. To not only go to the locker room, but go to the hospital and leave his team in the middle of a game, speaks volumes about the severity of this injury.

I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with the baby, just because he was leaving with his wife doesn't mean anything. I'm sure she's at almost every game and she's obviously going to go to the hospital with him if he leaves the stadium.

I'm not optimistic at all he'll play against Baltimore or even within the next 2-3 weeks. After what happened with his ankle last year I'm actually scared our whole season could be ruined. This seems like the kind of injury that could really throw him off his game for the rest of the season.

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:10 AM
That's pretty far out there, man. We could also ban him from having a house with a 2nd floor, so he won't fall down the stairs trying to a snack in the dark of night, ban him from eating shellfish in case of any digestive issues, maybe not allow him to cross streets without a crossing guard present. We're deep in tin foil hat land here.

Actually, a lot of the contracts have that kind of language in them. Terrell Suggs had to lie about where he got hurt, for fear of losing a LOT of money.

That aside, in the past, when I have heard about players leaving games, the team doctors usually take the player to the hospital.

And, Yes, I admit: I have my tinfoil hat on... and, your point about that is...??? Oh... wait... I get it. Damn. I've tangented again, haven't i??? :wink02:

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Remember how cheap the Rooneys are, maybe they didn't want to pay for the ambulance ride. :rolleyes:

So that's why he faked the injury...he was just hungry. lol. I guess they need to pay him more money.

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Sprain shoulder.....Ben will be throwing next week....:popcorn:

Oh without a doubt, I dont think he misses a huge rivarly division game with a sprained shoulder if thats the case.

ZoneBlitzer
11-13-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm praying for Ben right now. I have to say that this is a potentially scary injury considering his rotator cuff issue in the same shoulder.

teegre
11-13-2012, 12:14 AM
I KNEW IT...RAY LEWIS DID IT!:toofunny:

ESPN is reporting that Ray Lewis sent a limo to take BB to the hospital... uh... allegedly.

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, Ben Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates are preparing for Big Ben's shoulder "sprain" to cost him "at least" a few weeks.
La Canfora's tweet suggests the Steelers are already making preparations for Roethlisberger to miss multiple games. Although Pittsburgh did well to emerge from Monday night's scare with a win, the Steelers play two of their next three games against the Ravens with another division game at Cleveland in between. The current fear seems to be that Roethlisberger separated his right (throwing) shoulder. Coach Mike Tomlin promised to have more info on Tuesday.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :(

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, Ben Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates are preparing for Big Ben's shoulder "sprain" to cost him "at least" a few weeks.
La Canfora's tweet suggests the Steelers are already making preparations for Roethlisberger to miss multiple games. Although Pittsburgh did well to emerge from Monday night's scare with a win, the Steelers play two of their next three games against the Ravens with another division game at Cleveland in between. The current fear seems to be that Roethlisberger separated his right (throwing) shoulder. Coach Mike Tomlin promised to have more info on Tuesday.

I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY they would have that information already, nor would Steelers announce that this quick. That is yellow journalism horseshit.

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:20 AM

They are already making preparations? What could they possibly be doing this late on a monday night? They photocopied the playbook for Leftwich? Do they have Byron doing reps right now at 1am? Did they put a new name plate on Ben's locker? Are the working out a trade for Tebow at this very moment?

I CALL BS!

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
They are already making preparations? What could they possibly be doing this late on a monday night? They photocopied the playbook for Leftwich? Do they have Byron doing reps right now at 1am? Did they put a new name plate on Ben's locker? Are the working out a trade for Tebow at this very moment?

I CALL BS!

I dont think he means literally preparing, just its looking like hes gonna be out a few weeks. LaCanfora is at least more legit than any report I've seen thus far, I just dont think it looks good and this couldnt have come at a worse possible time

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:24 AM

I CALL BS!

Of course it's BS. They wouldn't even have time to complete an MRI yet, and even when they do it will likely be examined by doctors tomorrow morning. Yea, Steelers will be assuming Lefty is the guy, but why would they not at this point?

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Steelers announced they won't know anything until tomorrow morning. Ben got back to his house around midnight. They took some MRI's and released him.

On a positive note, Ryan Clark AGAIN suffered a concussion, but he tweeted that he feels fine and it's not that bad.

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 12:27 AM
He hasn't earned the right to have us fans use his correct name...especially after tonight's game. His name is Sandwich and we shall call him Sandwich and he shall be our Sandwich (quote from Nemo)

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Steelers announced they won't know anything until tomorrow morning. Ben got back to his house around midnight. They took some MRI's and released him.

On a positive note, Ryan Clark AGAIN suffered a concussion, but he tweeted that he feels fine and it's not that bad.

The problem is he was sitting in a tree actually "tweeting" like he was a bird....and he crapped on my windshield.

tanda10506
11-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Man these injuries just make analyzing this team maddening

It seems like theres always something extra that the steelers have to deal with every week

I've been saying that since week 2 of LAST YEAR. It's never Ravens vs Steelers or Chargers vs Steelers etc. It's always (insert team here) vs whoever we are limping to the barn with. Sure every team has injuries, but we've had games where we had 5 starters on defense, we have 5 RB's and usually 2 of them are healthy, and our O line is continually injured and often by our own RT. I can't complain cause there's no real way to prevent getting injured, but I'd like to see at least 20 or so of the 22 starters finally all play at once so I no longer have to wonder what could have been.

pitt0wns
11-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Let's all pray that he is ok!

He is our leader and best player - we can't afford to lose him!

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 02:02 AM
we aint getting #7 without #7, i hope it's not serious

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 06:37 AM
It's my fault, I predicted right before the game

"Just watch, Ben trys to be a hero and goes out and gets himself hurt, right at the worst possible time of the season....just get everyone through this one healthy, please..."

doomed

SoCalFan
11-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I had a grade 3 separation last year crashing my mountain bike, terrible! I hope its just a grade 1...I can still see a 10 win season, going into the playoffs healthy!!!

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 06:54 AM
i know what you are saying - the Packers are the only team that comes close to the steady, consistent dose of injuries we seem to sustain, week in, week out, for the past 2 seasons.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 07:00 AM
You know I just watched the clip of Ben going down a few more times, and I'm a tad disappointed here. Ben saw the pressure coming from 3 sides, and still tried to scramble away. Why didn't he just get rid of the goddamn ball?

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
You know I just watched the clip of Ben going down a few more times, and I'm a tad disappointed here. Ben saw the pressure coming from 3 sides, and still tried to scramble away. Why didn't he just get rid of the goddamn ball?

Because we were fighting for our lives out there and scrambling to bring us back into things is what Ben does.

maddog78
11-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Separated shoulder.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 07:50 AM
we'll find out soon

doom - out 4-6 weeks

doomed - done for the year

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Last I heard was a sprained shoulder which is like saying that it's raining somewhere in the state of New York -- unless they say just what was sprained and to what extent, they might as well have said nothing at all.

Medically speaking, "sprain" is just another word for "tear".
It could be a torn ligament, tendon, muscle, etc. and the severity of that tear is going to decide what's what.
Since a shoulder joint is basically all muscle and ligaments then ANY tear will be significant.

If it's just a simple sprain, my guess is that Ben is going to be out for at least 3 or 4 weeks but if it's a severe sprain or a separation, then he's done for the season.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
until I hear "season ending surgery" I still have a little hope left

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
"sprain" is bone to bone ligaments.

"strain" is muscle to bone tendons.

he couldve further tore his rotator cuff. a source close to him (likely his agent) said it is strange injury, only because they had him rushed off to the hospital till beyond midnight for an MRI.

until I hear "season ending surgery" I still have a little hope left if anyone will try to play through it, it is ben, the toughest SOB QB in the league.

ebsteelers
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
why is it always against do-do ass teams

last year stains, this year the chefs,

geez

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
ed werder reporting ben out 4-5 weeks?

-as per ken laird on triblive radio.

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Alright Tony, if this turns out accurate, you're going to have to help bring my emotions back from the brink -- come on, something positive - what is your take on the state of the Steelers without Ben for that duration? Think we're going to at least win the next two?

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 09:47 AM

:banging:

6-3 now

10-6 certainly should get a wild card

If the Stelers lose both Ravens games and the Cowboys at Dallas, then Ben shoudl be back for the last 2 games at home against Cincy and Cleveland - winning those 2, Cleveland on the road, and San Diego at home gets 10 wins

Ben is a tough SOB but he also is injury prone

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Sounds about right. No way he can throw it with a separated shoulder.

Up to the Defense and the O line to try and win one on Sunday. Need ball control and some splash plays to even be close.

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
Now what? Byron Leftwich likely will start Sunday night at QB for the #Steelers against the #Ravens.

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds about right. No way he can throw it with a separated shoulder.

Up to the Defense and the O line to try and win one on Sunday. Need ball control and some splash plays to even be close.

Bradshaw separated his shoulder in 1973 (that was the infamous game at Three Rivers against Cincy when some in the crowd cheered when he was hurt) and was out from mid-October until early December. No long term effects but as i recal there was no structural damage to Bradshaw's shoulder.

Vis
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Hot news: Roethlisberger is “extremely sore” this morning and “hurting pretty bad.” Headed for a second MRI to determine severity of injury.
Retweeted by Steelers Depot

4xSBChamps
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Bradshaw separated his shoulder in 1973 (that was the infamous game at Three Rivers against Cincy when some in the crowd cheered when he was hurt) and was out from mid-October until early December. No long term effects but as i recal there was no structural damage to Bradshaw's shoulder.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/001-1.jpg

MDSteel15
11-13-2012, 10:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8626611/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-qb-a-source-says

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
a second MRI?

that sounds depressing

OX1947
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Considering he already had a rotator cuff tear before, what is the likelihood he tore it completely?

Terminator
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Considering he already had a rotator cuff tear before, what is the likelihood he tore it completely?

Even if it's a Type 1 separation (which means no ligament tear), he is still looking at a 3 week recovery time.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Alright Tony, if this turns out accurate, you're going to have to help bring my emotions back from the brink -- come on, something positive - what is your take on the state of the Steelers without Ben for that duration? Think we're going to at least win the next two?

i think we're screwed. :doh: is that uplifting enough for ya? :laughing:

one thing i believe is to never underestimate this "band of brothers" rallying to pick up the slack for their fallen leader. before this season, troy was considered one of the 2 players we absolutely couldnt do w/o and journeyman and career back up will allen, has filled in nicely.

ben is even more dispensable, but we can still win vs the ravens. weve almost done it with batch and dixon.

thats all i got.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
shoulder sprain classified as an "SC sprain".

listed as questionable.

troy is doubtful.

clark looks good. will be evaluated.

mendenhall questionable.

-tomlin presser.

(doesnt sound so dire for ben yet.)

Terminator
11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Holy shit I was expecting the worse. That's a little better at least.

kan_t
11-13-2012, 11:16 AM

listed as questionable.

troy is doubtful.

clark looks good. will be evaluated.

mendenhall questionable.

-tomlin presser.

(doesnt sound so dire for ben yet.)
Huge relief. I expect worse.

Thanks for the update.

Rotorhead
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Anything about AB?

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 11:21 AM

listed as questionable.

The second MRI does not sound good - IMO listing Ben as questionable is injury report games to make the Ravens think Ben might play

Please sit Ben as long as necessary regardless of when he "might" be able to play - we saw what playing through pain accomplished when Tomlin played Ben with the bum ankle in San Francisco last season - that injury did not heal for the rest of the season - messing with a shoulder could ruin a career

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Gary Dulac is saying Ben is likely out, but he doesn't seem to have any solid facts here...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/team-source-roethlisbergers-shoulder-injury-not-good-661901/

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
antonio brown is questionable as well.

this is a new injury for ben. it is NOT his shoulder (or arm area atleast). tomlin has no idea what a SC sprain is. he say he just coaches football. :chuckle:

the sprain is SC where the sternum (breastbone) meets the clavicle (collar bone). its in his chest. very painful. surgery is very rare.

shoot it up and get out to play.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
antonio brown is questionable as well.

this is a new injury for ben. it is NOT his shoulder (or arm area atleast). tomlin has no idea what a SC sprain is. he say he just coaches football. :chuckle:

the sprain is SC where the sternum (breastbone) meets the clavicle (collar bone). its in his chest. very painful. surgery is very rare.

I just cried tears of joy.

SteelersCanada
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I very much doubt Roethlisberger is going to miss this game. As Tony said, shoot it up and get out there.

LayingTheWoodley56
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I very much doubt Roethlisberger is going to miss this game. As Tony said, shoot it up and get out there.

This is better news than we could have hoped for, given what we had initially feared. Hopefully the second MRI reveals nothing more than what we already know, and at the VERY least he will only miss Sunday and be back in time for PIT-BAL, round 2. We should be able to handle the Brownies with or without BB, though of course nothing is a givene in this league.

steelfury02
11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
thanks for the updates Tony

- I like the philosophy - rub some dirt on it, shoot it up, apply "Ben" Gay, throw on an icy-hot pad, take some Tylenol and ibuprofen, and wrap up some ice in wash clothes and duct tape it to his body, reapply as needed

SteelersCanada
11-13-2012, 11:45 AM
This is better news than we could have hoped for, given what we had initially feared. Hopefully the second MRI reveals nothing more than what we already know, and at the VERY least he will only miss Sunday and be back in time for PIT-BAL, round 2. We should be able to handle the Brownies with or without BB, though of course nothing is a givene in this league.

Shoot it up for Sunday and let him rest against the Browns. If the MRI doesn't show any other damage, there's no reason he can't go. This is the same guy that played through a high ankle sprain - he can play through this as well.

I think I jumped for joy when I heard Tomlin say SC sprain.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWp_TptqhqI

Relevant

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Is everyone breathing again?

kan_t
11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
The second MRI does not sound good - IMO listing Ben as questionable is injury report games to make the Ravens think Ben might play

Please sit Ben as long as necessary regardless of when he "might" be able to play - we saw what playing through pain accomplished when Tomlin played Ben with the bum ankle in San Francisco last season - that injury did not heal for the rest of the season - messing with a shoulder could ruin a career
Given that how rare SC sprain is, I think the second MRI should be just for the team to make sure what his exact injury is.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Shoot it up for Sunday and let him rest against the Browns. If the MRI doesn't show any other damage, there's no reason he can't go.

Or we can wait until someone qualified to make a diagnosis on his health makes an announcement on what's actually wrong with his arm. Guessing that he should just play through an injury that everyone is still speculating over is silly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Has this been confirmed?? Pretty good news IMO. I was fearing a bad AC separation.

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Or we can wait until someone qualified to make a diagnosis on his health makes an announcement on what's actually wrong with his arm. Guessing that he should just play through an injury that everyone is still speculating over is silly.

So are you saying that SteelersCanada is NOT an orthopedic surgeon and HASN'T seen Ben's charts? :sofunny:

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
So are you saying that SteelersCanada is NOT an orthopedic surgeon and HASN'T seen Ben's charts? :sofunny:

Haha...yea, everyone is looking to make a prognosis to help them come down off the roof. It's Tuesday...relax. We have all week to let Ben and the doctors sort things out. Let's also try to remember that his wife could go into labor and make the whole thing pointless anyway.

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
What is a sternoclavicular joint injury?

Sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury consists of ligament trauma to the joint connecting the breastbone [sternum] and the collarbone [clavicle]). It is an uncommon injury.

When a ligament is subjected to acute strain, it may either stretch or tear, partially or completely. Such tearing of a ligament is known as a sprain and ranges from microscopic injury to complete disruption. This injury can occur either at its insertion on either bone, but most commonly occurs in its mid-substance. The sprain may result in partial joint displacement (“subluxation”) or complete separation of the joint surfaces (“dislocation”). Displacement can occur either anteriorly (collarbone translates towards the front) or posteriorly (collarbone displaces towards the back).

http://www.wosm.com/index.php/health-library/orthopaedic-conditions-and-treatments/145-sternoclavicular-joint-injury

Brett Favre had one in 2010 - even he missed a game because of it

Sprained sternoclavicular (SC) joint, right shoulder

Favre file: Finally forced to miss start versus New York Giants.

Feels like: Very, very painful. Swelling and tenderness in the front of the chest. The SC joint attaches the collarbone to the breastbone -- in essence, the arm to the body -- which means most upper-body motions are affected. Worst case scenario: An unstable collarbone can compress major blood vessels, including the jugular vein and aorta.

Standard treatment: Requires careful evaluation by a specialist. Less severe cases require ice, anti-inflammatories, wearing a sling for a few weeks and rehab with range-of-motion exercises. More severe cases require surgery to rebuild torn ligaments.

Average recovery time: Three weeks to more than three months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/101216_brett_favre_injuries&sportCat=nfl

xbroughneck
11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
What is a sternoclavicular joint injury?

Sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury consists of ligament trauma to the joint connecting the breastbone [sternum] and the collarbone [clavicle]). It is an uncommon injury.

When a ligament is subjected to acute strain, it may either stretch or tear, partially or completely. Such tearing of a ligament is known as a sprain and ranges from microscopic injury to complete disruption. This injury can occur either at its insertion on either bone, but most commonly occurs in its mid-substance. The sprain may result in partial joint displacement (“subluxation”) or complete separation of the joint surfaces (“dislocation”). Displacement can occur either anteriorly (collarbone translates towards the front) or posteriorly (collarbone displaces towards the back).

http://www.wosm.com/index.php/health-library/orthopaedic-conditions-and-treatments/145-sternoclavicular-joint-injury

Brett Favre had one in 2010 - even he missed a game because of it

Sprained sternoclavicular (SC) joint, right shoulder

Favre file: Finally forced to miss start versus New York Giants.

Feels like: Very, very painful. Swelling and tenderness in the front of the chest. The SC joint attaches the collarbone to the breastbone -- in essence, the arm to the body -- which means most upper-body motions are affected. Worst case scenario: An unstable collarbone can compress major blood vessels, including the jugular vein and aorta.

Standard treatment: Requires careful evaluation by a specialist. Less severe cases require ice, anti-inflammatories, wearing a sling for a few weeks and rehab with range-of-motion exercises. More severe cases require surgery to rebuild torn ligaments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/101216_brett_favre_injuries&sportCat=nfl

You guys can hate me, but I hope the team keeps both Ben and Antonio sidelined for the next two (even 3) games.

As important as the regular season may be, the STeelers aren't going to do anything in the playoffs if Ben isn't 100% (see last season).

I want Ben at 100% (not 90%) when he takes the field again. Same with Antonio.

4xSBChamps
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
You guys can hate me, but I hope the team keeps both Ben and Antonio sidelined for the next two (even 3) games.

As important as the regular season may be, the Steelers aren't going to do anything in the playoffs if Ben isn't 100% (see last season).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/SpockdetectinglagrequantitiesofWIN.jpg

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Just inject him full of crap and throw him on the field. We need wins against Baltimore, not the Super Bowl!!!!!

sarcasm

Lokki
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Just inject him full of crap and throw him on the field. We need wins against Baltimore, not the Super Bowl!!!!!

sarcasm

Wait, I thought we get to dump gatorade on Tomlin when we beat the Raves. It's pretty much the same as winning the Super Bowl. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Worst case scenario: An unstable collarbone can compress major blood vessels, including the jugular vein and aorta.

Standard treatment: Requires careful evaluation by a specialist. Less severe cases require ice, anti-inflammatories, wearing a sling for a few weeks and rehab with range-of-motion exercises. More severe cases require surgery to rebuild torn ligaments.[/I]

I like how ESPN shows the worst case scenario to try and pump up "what a warrior Favre is", with this article.

Look at some simple anatomy and you see that the Aorta is at a much lower level than the Clavicle. I'll give them that an unstable clavicle could compress the Internal Jugular of Subclavian vein........but I think saying there is risk to the aorta is like saying that I could bleed to death from a ruptured hemhroid.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Has this been confirmed?? Pretty good news IMO. I was fearing a bad AC separation.

pretty much confirmed according to tomlin. he was asked in follow up to clarify if it was SC or AC and he said it was an SC, NOT and AC then said something to the effect of "but dont ask me what that means, or quote me on it. i just coach the guys to play football, and rely on our medical experts to explain that stuff."

note- i think ben said last year he has never taken a shot for an injury and the strongest pill he ever takes is tylenol or anti-inflamatory.

great point by Atlanta Dan that this was the injury that finally ended brett favre's record start streak.

it is an injury so rare it is listed as most commonly seen in people in "side impact car collisions or football pile ups"

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
note- i think ben said last year he has never taken a shot for an injury and the strongest pill he ever takes is tylenol or anti-inflamatory.

Wasn't that when his ankle was trashed? I seem to remember someone saying the team doc offered to pump him with cortisone but he opted for some tylenol instead.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:53 PM
So what is the likelihood of Ben playing this Sunday?

Still most likely out?

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Wasn't that when his ankle was trashed? I seem to remember someone saying the team doc offered to pump him with cortisone but he opted for some tylenol instead.

:yep:
So what is the likelihood of Ben playing this Sunday?

Still most likely out?

listed as "questionable" but most likely out.

still need to see the degree of the separation. then again, bens pain tolerance is uncanny so i guess we can never write him off.

terpsnation
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi all. Ravens fan here.

Just wanted to say that I hope Ben's injury isn't too severe (news looks good that it's a sprain and not a separation.) Both of our teams are pretty beat up right now, but I want to see a Roethlisberger-led Steelers offense next weekend.

I am also praying that if the Ravens do manage to secure a win (in either of our games against you guys), we don't see any embarrassing Gatorade baths this year.

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/badnewsforsteelerfan.jpg

teegre
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM

As important as the regular season may be, the STeelers aren't going to do anything in the playoffs if Ben isn't 100% (see last season).

This.

I agree: weather the storm of having no BB, but have him back for the play-offs.

Aside from INDY, the next team is SD... who only has 4 wins (then MIA, who also has only four wins). Ergo, a loss or two will not keep PITT out of the play-offs... but, NO BB for the play-offs would essentially end the season.

Rest, rest, lose, lose... get into the play-offs with a healthy BB... win #7.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Everyone DOES realize that Ben wasn't expected to play anyway due to the birth of his child, right? I don't see him playing. Throw in a Leftwich who's practiced all week and we'll be just fine.

Lokki
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Everyone DOES realize that Ben wasn't expected to play anyway due to the birth of his child, right? I don't see him playing. Throw in a Leftwich who's practiced all week and we'll be just fine.

That's only if his wife happens to go into labor on that day. I haven't seen anything saying he will miss X number of games after the birth. I've just seen where he said he would miss a game if she was in labor on game day. So it's not like he has it penciled in on the game day that she will be induced.

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Throw in a Leftwich who's practiced all week and we'll be just fine.

Ummmmm....you did watch the same game we all did last night....right?...

Sandwich is not a good QB and was about as useful as a one legged midget in a butt kicking competition. He was terrible. Hell the freaking towel boy would have been a better QB. And can someone tell me why when he took Bens spot did they keep running the ball down the middle? Even a blind man could see it wasn't working.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
the lack of news on this injury is making me nervous

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Sandwich is not a good QB and was about as useful as a one legged midget in a butt kicking competition. He was terrible. Hell the freaking towel boy would have been a better QB. And can someone tell me why when he took Bens spot did they keep running the ball down the middle? Even a blind man could see it wasn't working.

Ben was 9 for 18 and 84 yards. Lefty was 7 for 14 and 73 yards. Both QB's were struggling, But Lefty did hold his own, and nearly matched Ben's numbers for the night.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 01:45 PM

wow.

a shot at parapalegics, the vertically challenged, and visually impaired all in one post.

bravo! :hatsoff:

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM

You'll eat your words if he plays next Sunday. I have the utmost confidence is Leftwich when he at least has an opportunity to practice. He's a good quarterback, and always has been. You do realize that BOTH Ben AND Lefty only completed 50%, right? I guess that towel boy is better than Ben, too! :doh:

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey did anyone get word on Big B's condition?

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I hope I do eat my words but something inside tells me without Ben the outcome of next week's game is looking grim.

Quite frankly that would be awesome bragging rights for us as Steelers fans. We could slam the Ravens with "yours so bad that even our worst is better then you" or something crazy like that.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey did anyone get word on Big B's condition?

He has a sprained shoulder. It's not an AC injury in the shoulder, but he could still miss a game. He's listed as questionable.

TRH
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
"shoulder sprain" is now the word from Tomlin.

Ben is "doubtful" for Sunday night - not good, but i'm thinking they were thinking it was going to be even worse.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
nice win big ben but too bad your ass got saaaaacked

YQryjoIL_AU

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Sternoclavicular joint separation (sprain)

The collar bone connects to the sternum (or breast bone) in the middle of the chest at the top.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/media/page/_master/214/images/sc_dislocation.jpg

What can the athlete do?

Rest If the injury is not severe then there is little else they can do.
The athlete should be able to return to sport within a few weeks but pain may still be present for a few months.
If it is bad you could be confined to hospital due to the risk of damaging blood vessels

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/sternoclavicular-injury

--------------------

Danny Amendola out about 6 weeks

Amendola suffered what the team believes is a sternoclavicular joint separation. While the injury is expected to sideline Amendola six weeks, he could return earlier.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8464931/st-louis-rams-wide-receiver-danny-amendola-6-weeks

ebsteelers
11-13-2012, 02:08 PM
probably be out till the december 2nd game against baltimore, if not longer.

guess it would depend on how the team is playing as well

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
For an MC sprain? I had an MC sprain in 2010 and was fully healed within 12 days.

terpsnation
11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
For an MC sprain? I had an MC sprain in 2010 and was fully healed within 12 days.

It's an SC Sprain...

bozz723
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
ESPN is acting like the season is over for him, holy hell.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 02:24 PM

S C - sternoclavicular sprain - can't you hicks read?

why the fuck do I even bother, and no, I don't give a flying fuck about anyone else with their owies and how mommy kissed it and made it better in a day

Of course it HAD to be on his throwing arm side...I give it a month, WR's don't have to throw the ball 50 yds

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
It's an SC Sprain...

That's what I meant, lol. I was reading an article about DeCastro's MCL injury and got them mixed a bit.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:28 PM

why the fuck do I even bother, and no, I don't give a flying fuck about anyone else with their owies and how mommy kissed it and made it better in a day

Of course it HAD to be on his throwing arm side...I give it a month, WR's don't have to throw the ball 50 yds

That's what I meant, shit head. :wink02:

I was reading an article on DeCastro's MCL injury and got things mixed up a little. I had SC injury in my throwing arm late September of 2010. It was still sore after a week of rest, but I was able to go through proper throwing motions. I guess what it comes down to is the severity of the injury. Considering how hard he hit the ground, it could be a lingering injury.

EDIT: I DID NOT play that week, though. It was still sore after a week, and I WAS able to go through proper throwing motions, but I didn't return to practice for about 12 days.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, it's still bad

"At his news conference Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin described Roethlisberger's shoulder injury as an "SC sprain." The exact terminolgy of Roesthlisberger's injury is a sternoclavicular dislocation, according to ESPN medical analyst Dr. Michael Kaplan. In this type of injury, the central end of the clavicle separates from the sternum (chestbone).

An uncommon injury, it is extremely painful with strong ligament tearing (sprain). The usual treatment for the injury is conservative (no surgery, with rest, sling and rehab). Typically it takes several weeks until a quarterback is able to return to passing accurately and with sufficient velocity."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8626611/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-qb-a-source-says

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Well, it's still bad

"At his news conference Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin described Roethlisberger's shoulder injury as an "SC sprain." The exact terminolgy of Roesthlisberger's injury is a sternoclavicular dislocation, according to ESPN medical analyst Dr. Michael Kaplan. In this type of injury, the central end of the clavicle separates from the sternum (chestbone).

An uncommon injury, it is extremely painful with strong ligament tearing (sprain). The usual treatment for the injury is conservative (no surgery, with rest, sling and rehab). Typically it takes several weeks until a quarterback is able to return to passing accurately and with sufficient velocity."

Worst pain my arm has EVER experienced. The pain was worse than a break. I'm just hoping the injury isn't severe, although i'm not holding my breath.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Five levels of severity to this injury, no? I recall mine being relatively low in severity, probably explaining why I was able to pass after a period of 12 days. Still sore, granted, but able to pass. I'm holding out hope that it's a low-severity variation of the injury.

Vis
11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Five levels of severity to this injury, no? I recall mine being relatively low in severity, probably explaining why I was able to pass after a period of 12 days. Still sore, granted, but able to pass. I'm holding out hope that it's a low-severity variation of the injury.

Ben was interviewed today and said his was level 6

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
The thing I remember most about it was the breathing difficulties. Couldn't really hear a "pop" or anything, but it hurt like hell for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before I was even able to move it. Spent ten minutes afraid to move it because I couldn't imagine something hurting THAT much and NOT being broken.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Ben was interviewed today and said his was level 6

That sounds just about as bad as it gets, then. Mine was seemingly minor compared to his, than, and I missed a WEEK. That's what a lot of fans are expecting Ben to miss now, but if the injury turns out to be severe, that'll be a laugh.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
damn you Ben, why are you putting me through all this pain?

Vis
11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
That sounds just about as bad as it gets, then. Mine was seemingly minor compared to his, than, and I missed a WEEK. That's what a lot of fans are expecting Ben to miss now, but if the injury turns out to be severe, that'll be a laugh.

5 levels - Ben says level 6 - he exaggerates - get it?

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:46 PM
damn you Ben, why are you putting me through all this pain?

Selfish fuck! :sofunny:

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Right over my head. I'm going back to bed.

teegre
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
wow.

a shot at parapalegics, the vertically challenged, and visually impaired all in one post.

bravo! :hatsoff:

Don Rickles just smiled.

teegre
11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Throw in a Leftwich who's practiced all week and we'll be just fine.

Practice should help. He got ZERO snaps before that game. His long, long, long wiiiind-up still worries me...

BUT...

The Steelers are on a roll (and the Ravens can not stop the run). The Steelers have shown the ability to hang with the Ravens with Batch or even DD. Plus, remember when BB was suspended... and the Steelers went 3-1 (and nearly went 4-0)... sometimes, losing a player "forces" other players to step up.

Mind you, I'd always rather have BB play (he is absolutely the better QB), but as you said: all is not lost.

teegre
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Ours goes to 11...

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
And the media is already set to hand the division to Baltimore...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58974/steelers-chances-of-winning-division-is-questionable

Vis
11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
And the media is already set to hand the division to Baltimore...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58974/steelers-chances-of-winning-division-is-questionable

So am I if Ben is out 3 weeks.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
damn you Ben! why are you putting me through all this pain?

Selfish fuck! :sofunny:

I'm having chest pains just reading all this crap.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora has reported that the team is expecting Roethlisberger to be out for multiple games.

Steelers officials told CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that the QB "will likely be back next week."

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 03:33 PM
damn you Ben! why are you putting me through all this pain?

I'm having chest pains just reading all this crap.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora has reported that the team is expecting Roethlisberger to be out for multiple games.

Steelers officials told CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that the QB "will likely be back next week."

Steelers officials know best. When I had the injury, I was out for 12 days before I returned to practice. I COULD throw before then, but didn't return until the pain was tolerable. I was STILL sore even after 12 days, and ended up taking an aspirin or Tylenol before the actual game. Depending on the severity of the injury, he could probably play in two weeks. The pain won't be gone, but he'll be able to throw.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Take the needle Ben

amen

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Take the needle Ben

amen

I would imagine that WOULD work. The only thing that kept meat home for two weeks was the damn soreness. The actual PAIN lasted for about twenty minutes, followed by some nasty soreness. Took an aspirin when it came time to play, but after a few sacks and a few 300 pound lineman losing footing and falling on you, that does NOTHING. Take the needle Ben!

FrancoLambert
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
So am I if Ben is out 3 weeks.

I'm with you.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I would imagine that WOULD work.

Take the needle Ben!

of course what I really meant was I'm looking at the second Rats game to play him, that gives him almost 3 weeks

then take the needle

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) is "doubtful" to play in Week 11 versus the Ravens.
Coach Mike Tomlin deemed Big Ben questionable, seemingly in deference to the quarterback's history of coming back well ahead of normal timetables on previous injuries. A source tells LaCanfora, however, that doubtful is more accurate than questionable. The Steelers are still awaiting further test results on Roethlisberger's injury, so it's still possible that this could be an extended absence.

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 04:27 PM

:confused:

is our cussing filter gone??? holy shit, that is fucking awesome!!!!

no needle. i say duct tape it in place. ben can take the pain as long as his arm isnt falling off.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
:confused:

no needle. i say duct tape it in place. ben can take the pain as long as his arm isnt falling off.

http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1890901109.gif

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 04:39 PM

snitches get fucking stitches

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
When Ben's back-up plays Baltimore the result is a wrenching loss

2005 - Tommy Gun Maddox throws a ball to Hines, who kicks it up in the air and causes an interception - 16-13 loss in OT at Baltimore

2009 - Hines calls out Ben in pre-game on NBC for not playing the week after a concussion. Steelers take late lead with Dixon at QB - 20-17 OT loss at Baltimore

2010 - Batch starts last game of Roethlisberger suspension. Flacco throws winning TD with 18 seconds left. 17-14 loss at Heinz

Maybe starting Leftwich will break the streak:noidea:

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
When Ben's back-up plays Baltimore the result is a wrenching loss

2005 - Tommy Gun Maddox throws a ball to Hines, who kicks it up in the air and causes an interception - 16-13 loss in OT at Baltimore

2009 - Hines calls out Ben in pre-game on NBC for not playing the week after a concussion. Steelers take late lead with Dixon at QB - 20-17 OT loss at Baltimore

2010 - Batch starts last game of Roethlisberger suspension. Flacco throws winning TD with 18 seconds left. 17-14 loss at Heinz

Maybe starting Leftwich will break the streak:noidea:

hines ward was involved in the first 2, and he was still on the team in 2010, now that he's gone maybe the streak will be broken :chuckle:

PhantomJB93
11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I know there's little optimism but something tells me Ben is gonna force himself to play. Like all week leading up to the 49ers game last year where it seemed there would be no chance he played on that ankle and then he did anyway.

At the same time, if Ben plays I don't see any way he'll be effective and he may end up hurting us more than he helps. If it were his non throwing shoulder that may be different, but if he plays before he's 100%, no matter what medication he takes, I expect some wild inaccuracy. So as much as I hate it, I'd rather he sit out.

IDK my gut just tells me he'll drag himself out there on Sunday, look awful because of the shoulder, maybe even re-injure it worse, and then at the very least sit out the Browns game the next week, if not longer.

SteelCurtain5643
11-13-2012, 05:31 PM
I know there's little optimism but something tells me Ben is gonna force himself to play. Like all week leading up to the 49ers game last year where it seemed there would be no chance he played on that ankle and then he did anyway.

At the same time, if Ben plays I don't see any way he'll be effective and he may end up hurting us more than he helps. If it were his non throwing shoulder that may be different, but if he plays before he's 100%, no matter what medication he takes, I expect some wild inaccuracy. So as much as I hate it, I'd rather he sit out.

IDK my gut just tells me he'll drag himself out there on Sunday, look awful because of the shoulder, maybe even re-injure it worse, and then at the very least sit out the Browns game the next week, if not longer.

I think because its at home he will. If this first Ravens game was in Baltimore he might sit out but I dont think he'll sit out this big of a game at home.

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
The thing I remember most about it was the breathing difficulties. Couldn't really hear a "pop" or anything, but it hurt like hell for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before I was even able to move it. Spent ten minutes afraid to move it because I couldn't imagine something hurting THAT much and NOT being broken.

My question would be if it is that painful at a level 6 why is it he never showed any sort of pain whatsoever? I know he is tough but is it really that possible that he has such a high tollerance for pain that he doesn't show a glimpse of pain in the face, jaw or even the eye brows?

I am still on the fence on this one. I know Ben has played with a broken thumb, busted ankle and concussions that made him saying "dumb dumb didday" but that was in the past. Maybe he's getting tired of playing or maybe this is real. I don't know. I know I will personally miss his presence in the game and if he is really injured my prayers will go out to him. I have had 2 dislocated shoulders and they sucked. I can't imaging the pain he must be in having a separated SC. Eek! All that being said...

Ben, get well and you will be missed. Congratulations in your child beig born (soon) and you are one tough guy. I will never mess with you in this lifetime.

stb_steeler
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Sternoclavicular joint separation (sprain)

The collar bone connects to the sternum (or breast bone) in the middle of the chest at the top.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/media/page/_master/214/images/sc_dislocation.jpg

What can the athlete do?

Rest If the injury is not severe then there is little else they can do.
The athlete should be able to return to sport within a few weeks but pain may still be present for a few months.
If it is bad you could be confined to hospital due to the risk of damaging blood vessels

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/sternoclavicular-injury

--------------------

Danny Amendola out about 6 weeks

Amendola suffered what the team believes is a sternoclavicular joint separation. While the injury is expected to sideline Amendola six weeks, he could return earlier.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8464931/st-louis-rams-wide-receiver-danny-amendola-6-weeks

Great.....Try throwin the ball in pain, but we know Ben will do it anyway!

ChristianKustomz
11-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Take the needle Ben!

I second that! Take one for the team! LOL.

Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Kovacevic: Life without Ben? Cold reality

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A relentless rain whipped horizontally into the Heinz Field wind tunnel to greet the Steelers’ faithful head-on Monday night, making it so cold, so uncomfortable that the concourses often had more occupants than the seats, that mothers wrapped children in multiple parkas, that men … actually kept their beer bellies under wraps.

That cold.

And yet, none of it approached the chill sent through the 57,644 on hand by the third play of the third quarter of this comparatively hollow 16-13 overtime win over the completely horrible Kansas City Chiefs.

That’s when Ben Roethlisberger went down.

And out.

The Steelers’ quarterback, their franchise, their most valuable player by such a wide margin that there isn’t a viable No. 2, was slammed into the grass by Kansas City linebacker Justin Houston — clean sack — then rose slowly and clutched his right shoulder, cringing with each step to the sideline.

First thought: No way. Not him. Not now, with things just getting good.

“When Ben first went down, I didn’t really think too much of it,” left tackle Max Starks recalled later in a mostly reserved locker room. “Usually, if he’s hurt bad, he’ll stay down. But he asked to be picked up right away.”

Second thought …

“The way he was moving when he went off, yeah, you could see something was wrong.”

Third thought: Uh-oh.

There was word early Tuesday morning that Roethlisberger’s shoulder was sprained rather than separated, which would be better, but nothing was firm. In the immediate aftermath, Mike Tomlin would say only that the shoulder was “being evaluated” and that Roethlisberger had been taken to a hospital for an MRI. No prognosis was given, nor a timetable.

But neither did it sound like anyone was solidly counting on having Roethlisberger for either of the two ridiculously essential games against the despised Ravens over the next three weeks.

As Mike Wallace put it, “When Ben doesn’t come back in the game, you know it’s pretty serious.”

If so, that means one of Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch will have to take this team through its toughest stretch.

Maybe longer.

Oh, yeah.

In this game, Leftwich looked every bit like a man who’d stepped on the field in anger exactly once since 2009, completing 7 of 14 passes for 73 yards and misfiring terribly on most of the half.

“I haven’t done it in a while,” he said, “but I’m sure if I have to do it, it’ll be like riding a bike.”

We’ll see.

Batch, in turn, hasn’t even suited up for any games this season, and he functions in practice only as the opponents’ quarterback. But Tomlin declined to name a possible starter if Roethlisberger is out, and it can’t be ruled out that he’d go with the 37-year-old patriarch, if only because Batch started last Christmas Eve against the Rams and went 15 of 22 for 208 yards.

But let’s not kid anyone: There’s no QB controversy here. Only QB concerns.

And more than a few concerns beyond that, as well. The injury to Roethlisberger will overshadow all else Monday, but it probably shouldn’t.

Not when the Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles bulldozed relentlessly through the right side of the Steelers’ line for most of his 100 yards, the same way the Bengals did a month ago before Dick LeBeau had to redraw schemes.

Not when the Steelers’ rushing game didn’t come close to matching that, Jonathan Dwyer struggling for 56 yards on 19 carries and Isaac Redman held to 21 after a brief benching for a careless fumble.

Not when the passing game — even with Roethlisberger — glaringly exposed how much Antonio Brown is missed. Mike Wallace used all his limbs for a circus catch on the lone touchdown, but he’d have only two other receptions. In general, the receivers put precious little daylight between themselves and a sticky Kansas City secondary.

Ben or no Ben, if the Steelers perform against Baltimore the way they did Monday, they’ll get bombed by 30 or 40.

As it is, they’re 6-3, the winning streak grew to a frail four, and the standings still look promising.

I asked James Harrison if this team, which has replaced so many parts effectively at so many times, thinks that way about the quarterback position.

“I tend to think so. I hope so,” he replied. “We’ll see if we have to go without Ben. If that’s the case, we’ll move ahead.”

Good idea.

By the time Lawrence Timmons’ elegant interception set up Shaun Suisham’s winning kick, less than half the crowd remained, either too soaked or too stunned to stick around.

A bit fittingly on this night, right as Timmons celebrated, the press box announcer informed us all that Ryan Clark, the Steelers’ best defensive player, was being checked for a possible second concussion in the past month. If that’s the case — and he insisted again that he’s “fine” — his chance of facing the Ravens should be about the same as Roethlisberger’s.

That’s some cold reality.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/2944090-85/roethlisberger-steelers-ben-yards-cold-game-monday-batch-quarterback-chiefs#ixzz2C9PaoSRJ

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 07:15 PM
This from Ed.B. of the P-G

Roethlisberger's Rib Injury May be of More Concern

Besides his sprained right shoulder, Ben Roethlisberger also has a rib injury of some extent that Mike Tomlin did not mention at his press conference today.

A source said that injury could be more serious than anyone is letting on, and maybe even more serious than his right shoulder injury.

At mid-afternoon today the Steelers medical staff was still working through all the tests and trying to evaluate them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118851-ed-roethlisbergers-rib-injury-may-be-of-more-concern

IMO Ben is gone until at least the San Diego game

Shades of 2005 when Ben missed three games following knee surgery

Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
This from Ed.B. of the P-G

Roethlisberger's Rib Injury May be of More Concern

Besides his sprained right shoulder, Ben Roethlisberger also has a rib injury of some extent that Mike Tomlin did not mention at his press conference today.

A source said that injury could be more serious than anyone is letting on, and maybe even more serious than his right shoulder injury.

At mid-afternoon today the Steelers medical staff was still working through all the tests and trying to evaluate them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118851-ed-roethlisbergers-rib-injury-may-be-of-more-concern

IMO Ben is gone until at least the San Diego game

Shades of 2005 when Ben missed three games following knee surgery

what a drama queen...:chuckle:

Terminator
11-14-2012, 07:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094856/article/ben-roethlisberger-out-this-week-for-pittsburgh-steelers

NFL.com is now reporting that Ben is officially out for the Ravens game.

Steelers still say "questionable".

TRH
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
now its "indefinitely". The injury appears to be getting worse by the minute.

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
what a drama queen

“rare and dangerous” rib injury = sliver of rib bone 1mm from puncturing aorta

Ben hold press conference, retires, wife says she's happy he's safe now

now that's real drama

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
So let’s summarize. Roethlisberger has an “unusual” shoulder injury and a “rare and dangerous” rib injury.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/14/steelers-make-it-official-ben-is-out-for-sunday/

There is a short list of suspects for the source of the "rare and dangerous" description of Ben's rib injury:coffee:

wootawnee
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
If you watch the replay, it looks like he took a huge helmet hit in that area....Hitting the ground might not have caused this injury......

stairway27
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
We told you earlier Wednesday that Ben Roethlisberger would sit out this week's game against the Baltimore Ravens, in part because of his previously undisclosed rib injury.

Jeremiah: Ranking backup QBs
With backup quarterbacks coming to the forefront of late, Daniel Jeremiah ranks playoff contenders' No. 2 signal-callers. More ...
Roethlisberger says his rib is partially dislocated and he has no timetable to return. The rib problem is actually more severe than his shoulder injury. How rare is the injury? The last time his doctor heard of it was in 1998 with a rugby player.

Roethlisberger told reporters on Wednesday that the injury could kill him by pressing against his aorta and puncturing his lung. So that's not good.

His rib is partially dislocated. Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL.com and NFL Network passes along word from Roethlisberger that his pain level is at a 9 on a scale of 1-10. He's only sleeping four hours a night. Ed Bouchette of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette doesn't expect Roethlisberger to play for a while.

The seasons change, but one thing remains the same. No one does drama in Pittsburgh quite like Ben Roethlisberger. This rib injury may just cost the Steelers any chance at winning the AFC North

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I sincerely apologize for my prior crack about Ben's injury - this is serious stuff:banging:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-quarterback-has-rare-potentially-dangerous-rib-injury-662035/

Bizarre how what looked like a routine hit caused so much trouble

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
just like I predicted

Terminator
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I sincerely apologize for my prior crack about Ben's injury - this is serious stuff:banging:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-quarterback-has-rare-potentially-dangerous-rib-injury-662035/

Bizarre how what looked like a routine hit caused so much trouble

If this is indeed the case, then he shouldn't play the rest of the season. Sounds like he is just asking for trouble.

Maybe thinking about a new backup isn't such a bad idea.

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM

eerie

Terminator
11-14-2012, 01:25 PM

eerie

I don't know why, but for some reason, I could see this happening.

New wife, emotional, new baby (first baby), retire while you're young and healthy.

Ugh. Kill me. :banging:

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Well that's all folks, if he's out for any considerable amount of time say good bye to playoff hopes.

SteelersCanada
11-14-2012, 01:30 PM
He isn't going to retire. I understand this blows, but take things in stride. Our schedule after the Ravens' is fairly light and Byron can easily take us to 10-6 and ultimately a playoff berth, just in time for Ben to get healthy.

Am I the only one wishing right now that we kept Jerrod Johnson? Sure, he's young but the dude was impressive in preseason - moreso than Charlie. God forbid anything happens to Byron, but I'd feel infinitely more comfortable with Jerrod running the offense than Batch.

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 01:30 PM

New wife, emotional, new baby (first baby), retire while you're young and healthy.

no way...

Terminator
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I could see Leftwhich carrying us for a game or 2, tops. Not the rest of the season. We still have half the damn season to go.

Ravens x2
Browns x2
Bengals
Cowboys
Chargers

FUCK

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
He isn't going to retire. I understand this blows, but take things in stride. Our schedule after the Ravens' is fairly light and Byron can easily take us to 10-6 and ultimately a playoff berth, just in time for Ben to get healthy.

Am I the only one wishing right now that we kept Jerrod Johnson? Sure, he's young but the dude was impressive in preseason - moreso than Charlie. God forbid anything happens to Byron, but I'd feel infinitely more comfortable with Jerrod running the offense than Batch.

10-6 won't win a wild card- book it. I just don't see it happening.:noidea:

Terminator
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Well who's pretty much in as it stands now?

Texans
Ravens
Patriots
Broncos

Possible: Dolphins, Colts, Chargers

Dolphins are just shit in my opinion, Colts are inconsistent, and the Chargers couldn't manage their way out of a paperbag with the assholes that run that franchise.

If we lose more than 2 games, we will be fighting with shit-tier teams just to make it in. If we do make it in, we will have a rusty Ben coming off a serious injury. Is it worth it?

stb_steeler
11-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Ugh. Kill me. :banging:

NO WAY this happens!

SteelersCanada
11-14-2012, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure I agree. The AFC is watered down right now and let's keep in mind that 9-7 made it last year. I'm not sure that this conference is any better than it was last year in terms of competition and, in fact, it could be worse. I'm confident that 10-6 would make a wild card in the AFC. The NFC is a different story.

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure I agree. The AFC is watered down right now and let's keep in mind that 9-7 made it last year. I'm not sure that this conference is any better than it was last year in terms of competition and, in fact, it could be worse. I'm confident that 10-6 would make a wild card in the AFC. The NFC is a different story.

Those 2 games we lost earlier in the season are sure coming back to haunt us now that Ben is gone.:noidea:

stairway27
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Todd Haley should send a nice big fruit basket to Brenda Warner with a card that says "Mrs. Warner, can Kurt come out and play?"....

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Two other teams need to get to 10-6 and win tie breakers if the Steelers get to 10 wins

Miami is 4-5 and still has 2 games with New England, a road game in San Francisco, and Seattle at home. I see more than 1 loss there

Colts probably will get to 10 but play Houston twice, at Detroit, and at New England

Titans have already lost 6 and still need to play Houston again and travel to Green Bay

Steelers win Bengals tiebreaker if they beat Cincy at Heinz in late December

Chargers have lost 5 and still need to go to Denver and host Baltimore in addition to traveling to Heinz

Since the path to 10 for the Steelers includes beating San Diego and Cincy I think 10 wins is a lock for an AFC wildcard

teegre
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

BB playing through pain is one thing. BB possibly dying is a whole different story.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

teegre
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Two other teams need to get to 10-6 and win tie breakers if the Steelers get to 10 wins

Miami is 4-5 and still has 2 games with New England, a road game in San Francisco, and Seattle at home. I see more than 1 loss there

Colts probably will get to 10 but play Houston twice, at Detroit, and at New England

Titans have already lost 6 and still need to play Houston again and travel to Green Bay

Steelers win Bengals tiebreaker if they beat Cincy at Heinz in late December

Chargers have lost 5 and still need to go to Denver and host Baltimore in addition to traveling to Heinz

Since the path to 10 for the Steelers includes beating San Diego and Cincy I think 10 wins is a lock for an AFC wildcard

Great post. Rational thinking is so rare these days.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

BB playing through pain is one thing. BB possibly dying is a whole different story.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the prospects of his first rib popping off and perforating the descending aorta might not be good for TV. No way he plays unless he borrows a suit from Tony Stark.

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
If I were Ben with $100M in the bank and a new wife and baby on the way I'd already be packing up and buying a place next to Jimmy Johnson in Key Largo with my own boat that says Two Rings

...........but that's just me

http://www.fla-keys.com/news/img/JimmyJohnson5.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Roethlisberger injury couldn't come at worse time

11/13/2012
F. Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – The one thing that couldn’t happen to the Steelers happened Monday night.

Actually, the two things that couldn’t happen to Pittsburgh.

The first was getting caught flat-footed for a game against the lowly Kansas City Chiefs, showing again the maddening ability to play up or down to their opponent’s level.

The second was losing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to injury. Roethlisberger suffered an injury to his right shoulder in the third quarter, putting the Steelers’ enture season in jeopardy.

He was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital to evaluate what was called a “non-traditional” injury. To this point, Roethlisberger had received little mention nationally when talk turned to the league MVP.

But there is no doubt that he has been the Steelers’ MVP to this point.

Prior to Monday night, Roethlisberger wasn’t just a big part of the Steelers’ offense, he was practically their entire offense, particularly in the first four games when Pittsburgh’s running game was dormant.

That running game has improved in recent weeks, but Roethlisberger was still the player who made Pittsburgh’s offense go.

And without him, the Steelers are a decidedly average team at best.

That’s not a knock on backup quarterbacks Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch, but Roethlisberger is playing for a $100-million contract for a reason.

There is no good time to lose your starting quarterback, but Roethlisberger’s injury couldn’t come at a worse time for the Steelers.

The result of what can only be considered one of the most questionable NFL schedules in recent memory, the Steelers and Ravens, the two heavyweights in the AFC North, play twice in the next three weeks.

If the Steelers don’t have Roethlisberger for one of those games, it’s a huge loss for Pittsburgh. If he is missing for both of those matchups, well, the Ravens can pretty much start printing their AFC North championship T-shirts right now.

Add to that the fact the Steelers played Monday night’s game without wide receiver Antonio Brown, their MVP last season, and you have a team with some major issues.

Against the Chiefs, we saw why the Steelers chose to sign Brown a new contract in training camp. Without him on the field, Roethlisberger, while good, had difficulties moving the football. The Chiefs played a lot of man-press coverage with help over the top from the safeties on Mike Wallace, Brown with his short-space speed, beats that man coverage.

His replacement, Emmanuel Sanders, struggled to get open.

The rainy, windy night didn’t help, but there was more than one time that Roethlisberger and Leftwich dropped back to pass, had plenty of time, and couldn’t find anyone open.

Against the lowly Chiefs, who fell to a well-deserved 1-8, the Steelers found a way to win despite those issues.

The Ravens are having injury issues of their own, having lost linebacker Ray Lewis and cornerback Lardarius Webb. But the Ravens have also had time to deal with those injuries. The Steelers are going to be adjusting on the fly to the loss of two of their best offensive weapons.

And with one less day to prepare, that could be a deciding factor in which team wins the AFC North.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/lolley11/11-13-steelers-column

OX1947
11-14-2012, 05:08 PM
If I were Ben with $100M in the bank and a new wife and baby on the way I'd already be packing up and buying a place next to Jimmy Johnson in Key Largo with my own boat that says Two Rings

...........but that's just me

http://www.fla-keys.com/news/img/JimmyJohnson5.jpg

I'd be all good with that if he can ride that boat with Jimmy as an equal instead of an outsider.

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 05:08 PM
6 weeks = season

ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported on NFL Live Wednesday that doctors have advised Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder, ribs) to not return until his partially dislocated rib is completely healed, and "that could take up to six weeks.

It's unwelcome news, though Roethlisberger's timeline remains muddled. ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted there's at least a small chance Roethlisberger could be ready to return by Week 13, while coach Mike Tomlin seemed to scoff at the notion that his quarterback's season was in danger. However, Ben himself has copped to being in so much pain he slept in a chair Monday and Tuesday nights. It's a situation we're unlikely to have a firm grasp on for at least another week. For now, owners should plan on Roethlisberger missing at least two games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/247869/roethlisbergers-rib-may-not-heal-for-6-weeks

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 06:08 PM
6 weeks = season

ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported on NFL Live Wednesday that doctors have advised Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder, ribs) to not return until his partially dislocated rib is completely healed, and "that could take up to six weeks.

It's unwelcome news, though Roethlisberger's timeline remains muddled. ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted there's at least a small chance Roethlisberger could be ready to return by Week 13, while coach Mike Tomlin seemed to scoff at the notion that his quarterback's season was in danger. However, Ben himself has copped to being in so much pain he slept in a chair Monday and Tuesday nights. It's a situation we're unlikely to have a firm grasp on for at least another week. For now, owners should plan on Roethlisberger missing at least two games.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/247869/roethlisbergers-rib-may-not-heal-for-6-weeks

6 weeks apparently is the usual recovery time

How long does it take for a rib dislocation to heal?

That is a hard question to answer because there are so many different levels person-to-person. Generally it takes about six weeks. Keep in mind that is just healing, that doesn't get the athlete ready to return to their sport

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-8015264

That would be a return in week 16 against the Bengals

Keep the season afloat by winning 2 games during that period, with one of the wins being against the Chargers for wildcard tiebreaker, win the last 2 home games against Cincy and Cleveland, finish 10-6 for a wildcard playoff spot

tanda10506
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Keep the season afloat by winning 2 games during that period, with one of the wins being against the Chargers for wildcard tiebreaker, win the last 2 home games against Cincy and Cleveland, finish 10-6 for a wildcard playoff spot

It's all about the heart right now! Ben can be on that boat with Jimmy Johnson as long as the rest of the team has Johnson's attitude: "I can't wait for them to come in, I WANT TO KICK THEIR ASS!" The coaching staff is going to have to step it up big time, but if the players have the heart like they did in 2005 then we're still competing for a SB!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/tanda10506/thechief.jpg

tony hipchest
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, the prospects of his first rib popping off and perforating the descending aorta might not be good for TV. No way he plays unless he borrows a suit from Tony Stark.ive got an extra one available.

if nothing else im sure he's getting fitted for the fancy military grade kevlar flac jacket vick wore and harrisons concussion helmet is made of.

im sure this has been mentioned but how ironic is it that the owners directives to protect the $100 million investment were heard. the life endangering arians "retired" haley, shortened the game which saw ben turning in the finest year yet. sacks were down to a record loe.

*BOOM!* he suffers the worst game injury of his career. :doh:

its been a coupla weeks since anyone say our trining staff is the worst in the nfl and demanded they be fired. is it still cool to blame them? :rolleyes:

ben is obviously fat and out of shape and cant take a good bone (and ligament) crushing hit no more. ::jerkit:

Bayz101
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
No way can Haley receive blame for this injury. Afterall, Ben DID get sacked whilst extending the play.

Lady Steel
11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Ben isn't going to retire anytime soon unless he has no other choice. Let's not forget he's a warrior and still has a lot of football left in him. I'm sure he has the very best physicians for his injury available to him in Pittsburgh, and his wife is a physician assistant. He is in very good hands.

I don't want him back until he is 100% healthy. His health and well being has to come first.

ZoneBlitzer
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM
6 weeks = season

My gut tells me 6 weeks as well. I think he's done for the year and possibly the first playoff game.

All these hits over the years have piled up and have had a cumulative affect on Ben. Management took too long to address this issue that has been festering for years.

Life without Ben is going to suck. He's such a great QB to watch play the game.

It's time to start preparing for his successor. It's time to look for young talent to groom and to replace him. 10 years is a good run for QB who has taken the kind of punishment he has. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the league in the not too distant future.

If they can get to 10 and 6 and get the wildcard they got at least a shot in the tournament. That's all you can ask for.

Terminator
11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
It's time Steeler Nation faces the harsh reality that this season has basically become moot. And it should.

There is absolutely no reason to rush Ben back after this. The guy is only 30 years old and still has his best years ahead of him. I would say the same regarding Troy. Put him on IR or bench him for the remainder of the year. Make sure his calf is 150% healed, and look to the off-season to start an intense conditioning program. Maybe he can come out next season better than ever. Use this time to play some of our younger guys and do some evaluation. There is no reason to risk injury to any more players.

We absolutely cannot make a legit SuperBowl run anymore. It has never been done with a backup quarterback, and I do not believe the Steelers can break that mold.

Stick it to the Ravens as best we can and make sure they leave Pittsburgh battered, bloody, and bruised, and then use the remainder of the season to evaluate what we have.

We went to the playoffs last year with a completely broken team, and it was horrible. I wish we never went. I am saying the same thing for this year now too. I don't want to see Pittsburgh in the playoff's without Ben.

I'd still like to see us upset the Ratbirds since I despise them with every fiber of my being, but that's all I can hope for regarding the remainder of the season.

4xSBChamps
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
We absolutely cannot make a legit SuperBowl run anymore. It has never been done with a backup quarterback, and I do not believe the Steelers can break that mold.

while I didn't think this team had a serious chance at winning the Lombardi before the injury (too-many holes, inconsistent play), I believe the Rams with Kurt Warner in 1999, and Cheatriots* in 2001 with Marcia won Super Bowls, playing with a QB thought to be 'back-ups' when that season began
it can be done, but very doubtful

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 08:28 PM
while I didn't think this team had a serious chance at winning the Lombardi before the injury (too-many holes, inconsistent play), I believe the Rams with Kurt Warner in 1999, and Cheatriots* in 2001 with Marcia won Super Bowls, playing with a QB thought to be 'back-ups' when that season began
it can be done, but very doubtful

Add Jeff Hostetler in 1990 after Phil Simms got hurt late in the season

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I don't personally see Sandwich getting the job done. Of watching the game against KC was any indication to his skill level then we can just kiss the playoffs goodbye. I give it 5 throws before he throws a hamburger pass for an interception leading to a TD by Ravens. Our defense has really been getting better and earning their money this year but isnt it too much to ask them to carry our team against the Ravens for 4 Q's? That's a lot to ask.

Sandwich is not a good QB. He's great for keeping the seat warm for Big Ben. However I do like to get proven wrong on occasion (when beneficial) and I hope he proves us all wrong against the Baltimore game but I don't see that happening. I do however see our offensive line not protect him and he will pretty much get sacked every other play...in between interceptions. I see Suggs having a field day with him. I don't think Flacco will be able to accomplish much which leaves the game to our offense. That being said with Todd Haley at the helm the ship is surely sunk already. Todd's career is going down faster then a cheap hooker on the Titanic. Dick has been doing some strange this on the defense this year and well Tomlin is still Tomlin

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
My gut tells me 6 weeks as well. I think he's done for the year and possibly the first playoff game. .

The Rams receiver who had a big game on Sunday had a similar "life threatening" injury in early October

The St. Louis Rams may be 3-2 in their first season under head coach Jeff Fisher, but they were dealt a significant injury blow on Thursday night when wide receiver Danny Amendola suffered a separated SC joint while laying out to haul in a 22-yard pass attempt from Sam Bradford.

Amendola did not break his collarbone, which the Rams initially feared, and will not require surgery. According to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, the injury could have been much, much worse.

During a report on Fox's pregame show, Glazer explained that Amendola dislocated his clavicle, which actually popped in and could have threatened Amendola's trachea and aorta. The Rams' medical staff acted quickly, putting Amendola to sleep before popping the clavicle back into place and making sure it could not dislodge again.

Glazer adds that the Rams called around the league to find a case of another player suffering a similar injury, but they could not find one. The absence of a case study for this particular injury makes it difficult for the Rams to know when Amendola might return. Though surgery is not required, it may take between four and eight weeks for the injury to heal to the point where Amendola can play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/danny-amendola-injury-could-life-threatening-173715914--nfl.html

Injured October 4, back November 11 - 38 days

SoCalFan
11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
I remember when the Rams reciever suffered that injury. I just hope Bens is a lower grade version. I still think we can sneak a wildcard spot and have Ben and Troy healthy come playoffs! I cant remember a bigger swing in the outlook of season at the halfway point in a long time!

bornaSteelersfan
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Here comes the "Doom and Gloom". The Steelers have been able to overcome adversity in the past. I will keep a positive note and say they can do it again. This is a team! Ben is still only one player. NEXT MAN UP!

Steelersfan87
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I tend to be the perennial optimist around here, but this injury doesn't have me feeling too good, and I'm not sure if he takes the field again this season. They can make the playoffs with Leftwich, but they'll most likely be one-and-done with a loss to either the Patriots or the Ravens.

Steelers QB Roethlisberger out indefinitely with shoulder and rib injuries (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-qb-roethlisberger-out-indefinitely-with-shoulder-and-rib-injuries?cid=db_articles)

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah but with Sandwich? He's not a good QB and last week proved that. I dont think Pittsburgh franchise owners ever took into account Ben could actually get hurt. If they did they could have found someone better then Sandwich to play QB. I mean really...what were they thinking? We need Ben bottom line. He has more experience with the Ravens and knows from experience what to expect and how to control the offensive line when out on the field. Sandwich doesn't even know how to call the correct audibles.

tony hipchest
11-14-2012, 09:10 PM
manlaw says we have to revoke all the fancards from the panicing patricias already throwing in a towel on the season. get a grip! last TWO times ben missed multiple games we went to 2 superbowls and won one!

It's time Steeler Nation faces the harsh reality that this season has basically become moot. And it should.

WTF!?!?!?! :huh:

kurt warner, frank reich, jeff hosstetler, tom brady IMMEDIATELY come to mind... :doh: if i wanted to research, im sure i could find more like 85 patriots and 70's dolphins.

:headshake:

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree with you Tony but Sandwich doesn't show the promise we all hoped for when it came time for him to step up on even the easiest of plays. I understand he only has a few throws but he should at least know how to call the correct audibles and know how to control and coordinate the offensive line.

I personally don't think he has the experience or the know how to make it through the Ravens game. I really hope I am proved wrong on this. I would love nothing more then to rub a nice win in the Ravena fans that come to my shop and my friends that are Baltimore fans but I Personally think its going to be a brutal beating.

On a side note maybe Todd will pull better plays out then running the ball down the middle. lol.

tony hipchest
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I agree with you Tony but Sandwich doesn't show the promise we all hoped for when it came time for him to step up on even the easiest of plays. I understand he only has a few throws but he should at least know how to call the correct audibles and know how to control and coordinate the offensive line.

I personally don't think he has the experience or the know how to make it through the Ravens game. I really hope I am proved wrong on this. I would love nothing more then to rub a nice win in the Ravena fans that come to my shop and my friends that are Baltimore fans but I Personally think its going to be a brutal beating.

On a side note maybe Todd will pull better plays out then running the ball down the middle. lol.you said ben didnt show enough of a look of pain or that his eyebrows didnt reflect an actual injury so you couldnt buy the veracity or severity of his injury.

you basically questioned if he was faking it. :hunch:

thats about all i have to say about what you personally do or do not think. :smile:

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Yup and I still hold to it. I have always questioned everything. With everything that has transpired if his injury is as bad as they are leading it on to be then all I can say is that Ben is one tough son of a gun. To not only separate a rib but separate a shoulder and show no pain...he is one tough maama jaama! I would never make him mad.

Terminator
11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
I don't think those QB's mentioned can be compared with Leftwhich/Batch.

They are much older and had their shot as starters. They are basically career backups at this point. Not young and upcoming with untapped potential. Just my opinion.

cubanstogie
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't think those QB's mentioned can be compared with Leftwhich/Batch.

They are much older and had their shot as starters. They are basically career backups at this point. Not young and upcoming with untapped potential. Just my opinion.

With a week of practice under his belt I think Lefty will surprise a lot of people. He is as tough as they come, as tough as BB and has a ton of experience. A few years ago he stepped in and played very well. Injuries have been the problem. I realize the injuries are due to his style of play(lack of mobility and long release) but if and its a big if the line can protect Lefty will be solid. I do think they will air it out more to Wallace and hopefully throw some screens to counter the pass rush if Ravens are getting penetration. I feel much better about Lefty than I did with Dixon a couple of years ago.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Even if we dont win both against the Ravens, we need to look at the big picture of winning games against the Brown, Bengals, Chargers (that will get us 10 wins) and maybe the Cowboys as well (11 wins). A 10 or 11 win season could get us the wildcard berth.

I knew that losses to the Raiders and Titans would come back to haunt us.

FanSince72
11-15-2012, 11:10 AM

There is absolutely no reason to rush Ben back after this. The guy is only 30 years old and still has his best years ahead of him. I would say the same regarding Troy. Put him on IR or bench him for the remainder of the year. Make sure his calf is 150% healed, and look to the off-season to start an intense conditioning program. Maybe he can come out next season better than ever. Use this time to play some of our younger guys and do some evaluation. There is no reason to risk injury to any more players.

Stick it to the Ravens as best we can and make sure they leave Pittsburgh battered, bloody, and bruised, and then use the remainder of the season to evaluate what we have.

We went to the playoffs last year with a completely broken team, and it was horrible. I wish we never went. I am saying the same thing for this year now too. I don't want to see Pittsburgh in the playoff's without Ben.

I'd still like to see us upset the Ratbirds since I despise them with every fiber of my being, but that's all I can hope for regarding the remainder of the season.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/seriously.jpg

The thing that separates the Steelers from many other teams is that they ARE a team and don't feel that losing one player - no matter who he is - will affect the team's overall chances.

Maurkice Poucey talked about Leftwich in an interview just yesterday and said, “I think we’ll do a great job with him. People are making this out to be bigger than it’s going to be.”

I agree. And if he's not worried about it then I sure as hell won't be losing any sleep over it either.

The sky hasn't fallen and the season is hardly over.

steelax04
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
From the sounds of it, Byron will be the one driving the Steelers bus into the playoffs. It doesn't seem like they were being funny when they said this is a "unique" injury.

But then again, Ben might just be drama queening this up for a spectacular return to glory.

ChristianKustomz
11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
The more and more I think about it there might be a slim chance we could pull a win out. Baltimore has never played against Sandwich so they don't know how he reacts to situations. We all know Big Ben plays it cool even under pressure but we all know how jumpy rookie QB's get and could try to force him into making a mistake. But in the other hand they may underestimate him and he could completely throw their game off. I'd say we have more of a chance of the apocalypse happening this weekend then we do winning but you never know. This is Steelers football and stranger things have happened.

Fire Arians
11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
From the sounds of it, Byron will be the one driving the Steelers bus into the playoffs. It doesn't seem like they were being funny when they said this is a "unique" injury.

But then again, Ben might just be drama queening this up for a spectacular return to glory.

I don't think that's the case this time :(

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Ed.B. of the P-G recommends this article written by a real doctor (as opposed to sportswriters and bloggers who considered pre-med and thought better of it but are now orthopedic specialists)

Demystifying Ben Roethlisberger’s Injury

Another day, another diagnosis. Roethlisberger arrived at the South Side facility early Wednesday morning for the usual team meetings, sporting a black sling to support his right arm. Around that time, Ed Bouchette, who covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, tweeted the following:

#Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk. Has to wait until heals

Bouchette followed it up later in the day with an article further detailing the potentially lethal injury. This announcement is exactly the type of drama that Coach Tomlin prefers to avoid, and Big Ben certainly didn’t seem to be on death’s door when speaking with reporters. Allow me to clarify some of the hyperbole…

Roethlisberger was told by his physicians that this injury is so rare that the last known case was seen in 1998 in a rugby player. This is, in fact, the only case report in the medical literature and can be found in the British Journal of Sports Medicine from 1999. It should be noted that the rugby player also sustained a fracture to the posterior sternum, so it was actually a more extensive injury. That player took 12 weeks off, until an Xray showed that the fracture had healed completely. Keep in mind that ruby players wear no padding or protection.

Why was this injury potentially fatal? According to Ben (per his physicians), he had a posterior displacement of the first rib, which attaches to the sternum but curves up behind the clavicle. If the rib is pushed back far enough, it can cause serious injury to major blood vessels or the lung, resulting in significant bleeding or a collapsed lung. That is why the QB was taken to the hospital so expediently. This is different than the injury sustained by St. Louis Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola a few weeks ago. Amendola had a posterior dislocation of the clavicle at the SC joint, also an unusual injury. That, too, could have caused injury to a major blood vessels behind the clavicle, and I’m still surprised that his doctor’s supposedly reduced it in the locker room under sedation rather than in a hospital. It sounds like if Roethlisberger had a dislocation of the clavicle, it was displaced anteriorly instead. You can see the difference here:
http://aeryssports.com/aerys-offsides/files/2012/11/ant-vs-post-sc-dislocation.jpg

The million-dollar (or $102 million question) is how long it will take Roethlisberger to return to playing. Initial treatment for this injury is simply immobilizing the arm and wrapping the chest to prevent recurrent dislocation. Surgical repair is rarely indicated; it’s usually not necessary and has a significant complication rate. If he were dealing with only the SC joint sprain, he would likely be out for a week or two. In 2010, warrior QB Brett Favre’s 297-game consecutive start streak was interrupted by the same injury, but he was able to return under center after missing only 1 game.

The rib dislocation is the complicating factor. Given that it is such a rare injury, Roethlisberger’s physicians can only take a wait-and-see approach. Clearly, they will not allow the QB to return to contact before the rib injury is healed or he will be at risk for a recurrent dislocation and the complications that can arise. In the absence of a fracture, however, it may be difficult to gauge the healing. My guess — and it is, of course, just that — is that his doctor’s will monitor the healing based on his pain level.

A conservative estimate would place Roethlisberger on the bench for 6 weeks, which is nearly the rest of the regular season. Then again, where Big Ben is concerned, all bets are off. He has proven his toughness (making his label of “drama queen” laughable) again and again, playing through foot fractures, a broken thumb on his right hand, a high ankle sprain, and even the broken nose delivered by Ravens DT Haloti Ngata last season. The trainers snapped his nose back in place, packed it, and sent him back out to win the game.

The bottom line is that it’s way too soon to predict when Roethlisberger will resume his QB duties, but Coach Tomlin said it best today during a media session, as reported on twitter by an NFL Network reporter:

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala

Mike Tomlin asked if he expects Ben back this season. Snorts. Then says: “Next question.”

Melanie Friedlander, MD is a board-certified general surgeon.

http://aeryssports.com/aerys-offsides/house-calls-demystifying-ben-roethlisbergers-injury/

LVSteelersfan
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Come on gloom and doomers. We haven't even played one game without Ben yet. They can't stop the run. This game is going to be up to the RBs and the defense. Lefty just has to not make any serious mistakes. Manage the game and hope that our O-line can attack that TWENTY-SIXTH ranked rushing defense and shove it right down their stinking throats. Heath will stay back and block on Suggs side so he will be useless. I think we win this game going away because the D is going to put Flacco on his Backo all night long.

teegre
11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Ed.B. of the P-G recommends this article written by a real doctor (as opposed to sportswriters and bloggers who considered pre-med and thought better of it but are now orthopedic specialists)

Demystifying Ben Roethlisberger’s Injury

Another day, another diagnosis. Roethlisberger arrived at the South Side facility early Wednesday morning for the usual team meetings, sporting a black sling to support his right arm. Around that time, Ed Bouchette, who covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, tweeted the following:

#Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk. Has to wait until heals

Bouchette followed it up later in the day with an article further detailing the potentially lethal injury. This announcement is exactly the type of drama that Coach Tomlin prefers to avoid, and Big Ben certainly didn’t seem to be on death’s door when speaking with reporters. Allow me to clarify some of the hyperbole…

Roethlisberger was told by his physicians that this injury is so rare that the last known case was seen in 1998 in a rugby player. This is, in fact, the only case report in the medical literature and can be found in the British Journal of Sports Medicine from 1999. It should be noted that the rugby player also sustained a fracture to the posterior sternum, so it was actually a more extensive injury. That player took 12 weeks off, until an Xray showed that the fracture had healed completely. Keep in mind that ruby players wear no padding or protection.

Why was this injury potentially fatal? According to Ben (per his physicians), he had a posterior displacement of the first rib, which attaches to the sternum but curves up behind the clavicle. If the rib is pushed back far enough, it can cause serious injury to major blood vessels or the lung, resulting in significant bleeding or a collapsed lung. That is why the QB was taken to the hospital so expediently. This is different than the injury sustained by St. Louis Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola a few weeks ago. Amendola had a posterior dislocation of the clavicle at the SC joint, also an unusual injury. That, too, could have caused injury to a major blood vessels behind the clavicle, and I’m still surprised that his doctor’s supposedly reduced it in the locker room under sedation rather than in a hospital. It sounds like if Roethlisberger had a dislocation of the clavicle, it was displaced anteriorly instead. You can see the difference here:
http://aeryssports.com/aerys-offsides/files/2012/11/ant-vs-post-sc-dislocation.jpg

The million-dollar (or $102 million question) is how long it will take Roethlisberger to return to playing. Initial treatment for this injury is simply immobilizing the arm and wrapping the chest to prevent recurrent dislocation. Surgical repair is rarely indicated; it’s usually not necessary and has a significant complication rate. If he were dealing with only the SC joint sprain, he would likely be out for a week or two. In 2010, warrior QB Brett Favre’s 297-game consecutive start streak was interrupted by the same injury, but he was able to return under center after missing only 1 game.

The rib dislocation is the complicating factor. Given that it is such a rare injury, Roethlisberger’s physicians can only take a wait-and-see approach. Clearly, they will not allow the QB to return to contact before the rib injury is healed or he will be at risk for a recurrent dislocation and the complications that can arise. In the absence of a fracture, however, it may be difficult to gauge the healing. My guess — and it is, of course, just that — is that his doctor’s will monitor the healing based on his pain level.

A conservative estimate would place Roethlisberger on the bench for 6 weeks, which is nearly the rest of the regular season. Then again, where Big Ben is concerned, all bets are off. He has proven his toughness (making his label of “drama queen” laughable) again and again, playing through foot fractures, a broken thumb on his right hand, a high ankle sprain, and even the broken nose delivered by Ravens DT Haloti Ngata last season. The trainers snapped his nose back in place, packed it, and sent him back out to win the game.

The bottom line is that it’s way too soon to predict when Roethlisberger will resume his QB duties, but Coach Tomlin said it best today during a media session, as reported on twitter by an NFL Network reporter:

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala

Mike Tomlin asked if he expects Ben back this season. Snorts. Then says: “Next question.”

Melanie Friedlander, MD is a board-certified general surgeon.

http://aeryssports.com/aerys-offsides/house-calls-demystifying-ben-roethlisbergers-injury/

This makes me feel a whole lot better.

My range of emotions has flunctuated greatly over the past few days.

First, I was in denial (see the OP).

Then, I was thinking 2-3 weeks. I was "annoyed"... but accepting of things.

Then, I was almost in shock, thinking about BB getting sacked & dying.

Now, I am thinking, whew!!!... and almost back down to the level of being "annoyed"... but accepting of things (although, now it is more like 6-8 weeks). Now, I am feeling grateful (oddly)... because, BB won't die.

I still think that the Steelers can win the division... and at worst, will sneak in as a wild card... and then, they will get back five juggernauts: BB, AB, Mendy, DD, and Troy. And, no one will want to play the Steelers once those five rejoin the team.

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I hope he heals quickly and is able to get back in time to play a game in the regular season before Playoffs. We need him to warm up a little. Obviously, he needs to heal 100%. Get well soon!

BlaZeQuietly
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I really think we will make the playoffs with out Big Ben, our offense is on fire, Redman and Dwyer are unstoppable, getting mendy back will be good as well. Brown, Wallace, Sanders are all GREAT wide receivers and if Lefty can just get the ball to them, and not make any crazy throws I think we will be almost as good as we were with Ben, and when we get him back which I think will be right before the Playoffs, ... betters watch out because we will be favorites to win the superbowl and I am for real

I do want to add that I have a funny feeling Leftwich is going to be a lot better than anybody expects, hes playing with a better receiving core than he EVER has, he has a very positive attitude, and I think he will do just fine behind the offensive line we have this year, now if this happened last year (for one leftwich wouldnt have been available) batch probably would have just been smeared. Wouldnt it be weird if this some how improved our team? Whoa

Fire Arians
11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I really think we will make the playoffs with out Big Ben, our offense is on fire, Redman and Dwyer are unstoppable, getting mendy back will be good as well. Brown, Wallace, Sanders are all GREAT wide receivers and if Lefty can just get the ball to them, and not make any crazy throws I think we will be almost as good as we were with Ben, and when we get him back which I think will be right before the Playoffs, ... betters watch out because we will be favorites to win the superbowl and I am for real

I do want to add that I have a funny feeling Leftwich is going to be a lot better than anybody expects, hes playing with a better receiving core than he EVER has, he has a very positive attitude, and I think he will do just fine behind the offensive line we have this year, now if this happened last year (for one leftwich wouldnt have been available) batch probably would have just been smeared. Wouldnt it be weird if this some how improved our team? Whoa

true. he did hit sanders on a crosser perfectly and i was like damnnnnn. lefty can play, i just hope that the o-line steps it up a notch. he's not mobile enough to bail them out like ben is. but if we win at least 4 of the remaining games and get a wildcard without ben, i'll be satisfied

BlaZeQuietly
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
true. he did hit sanders on a crosser perfectly and i was like damnnnnn. lefty can play, i just hope that the o-line steps it up a notch. he's not mobile enough to bail them out like ben is. but if we win at least 4 of the remaining games and get a wildcard without ben, i'll be satisfied

4-3 is not acceptable to me at all, We play the browns twice and bengles once, chalk those up as wins 3-0 im pretty sure we can beat the cowboys thatll set us at 10-3 (this is out of order by the way the three hardest games will be the up coming against baltimore twice and against the chargers, i say we take 1 of those games leaving us at 11-5

Depending on if we can beat baltimore at least once and dominate the browns and bengles, we could have a legit shot at winning the division.

I do not think we could win the SB with out Ben, We need him 100% for the play offs, we would be a dangerous team if he makes it back in time assumeing out estimations of the steelers going 10-6 or 11-5 are correct the playoffs looks like they are well with in reach whether it be wild card or bye week, if big bens back WATCH OUT!

Fire Arians
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
4-3 is not acceptable to me at all, We play the browns twice and bengles once, chalk those up as wins 3-0 im pretty sure we can beat the cowboys thatll set us at 10-3 (this is out of order by the way the three hardest games will be the up coming against baltimore twice and against the chargers, i say we take 1 of those games leaving us at 11-5

Depending on if we can beat baltimore at least once and dominate the browns and bengles, we could have a legit shot at winning the division.

I do not think we could win the SB with out Ben, We need him 100% for the play offs, we would be a dangerous team if he makes it back in time assumeing out estimations of the steelers going 10-6 or 11-5 are correct the playoffs looks like they are well with in reach whether it be wild card or bye week, if big bens back WATCH OUT!

4-3 is lowballing it but seriously i think unless we beat baltimore this weekend, the #2 seed might be out of reach. if that's the case then we settle for the wildcard and get some of our guys healthy in time for playoff time. by then hopefully ben and troy will be back and we get hot at the right time.

10-6 with a wildcard is my prediction, i often set myself up for disappointment when I expect too much. if byron can lead the troops to a win over the ravens this weekend I'll be more optimistic, but I'm taking a wait and see approach.

with that said, I think we have a decent shot of winning this weekend.

Steel_Bus_24
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Our O-Line has to start being dominant in their run blocking.....If they can do that then Byron might be able to make enough plays to win us some games

The D while good again, isn't forcing the TOs like they used to and will need the O-Line to suck the life out of the game with the ground/pound and T.O.P now more then ever