PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich Concerns

MG08
11-13-2012, 02:37 AM
If Byron would start next Sunday night, our offense will be limited not only by the "backup QB playbook", but even more by his throwing motion which absolutely kills our quick WR screens. Our O has thrived on these quick hitters that Byron takes forever to get the ball out to the sideline, which was somewhat apparent this evening.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:47 AM
What's even more concerning is whether or not he'll play at ALL. He seemed a little woozy after taking a big hit early, and may have even played when he would otherwise exit the game. With Batch inactive, that wasn't an option, so i'm not entirely sure he wasn't injured. He may have a concussion. Hell, I knew something was wrong with him after he almost fell trying to stand up, not to mention the "deer in headlights" look on his face. This IS the guy who was carried up the field with a broken leg by a couple offensive lineman, though, so it's not much of a surprise that he hung in there and played through whatever it was he may have suffered.

MG08
11-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Batch may be the better fit for Hailey's West Coastish offense. Anyone know who the Emergency QB would have been for tonight if Leftwich went down?

AgentGold007
11-13-2012, 03:00 AM
I'd rather go with Batch personally. Batch may not have a strong arm, but with Todd Haley's short passing game, he doesn't need one. Plus I think he's more accurate than Lefty, reads defenses better, and makes better decisions in my opinion. I know the Steelers coaching staff obviously sees it different than I do, but we're 5-2 with Batch, so I'd like to see Batch get the call.

teegre
11-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Batch may be the better fit for Hailey's West Coastish offense. Anyone know who the Emergency QB would have been for tonight if Leftwich went down?

Leftwich's huge throwing motion does not mesh with with Haley's "quick pass" system.

Heath would be the "emergency" QB. Strange, huh?

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 03:04 AM
batch is better than leftwich period, i don't know why he's out #2

MG08
11-13-2012, 03:05 AM
Having Hines and El on the team for so many years, it was scary to think about but we always had someone with some type of QB exp. Having Heath is beyond cause for concern, considering both Leftwich and Batch are definitely injury prone.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Heath, all 6'5 of him, earned all-state honors at the QB position in High-School, and was originally signed onto the Virginia squad as a QB.

AgentGold007
11-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Hopefully we get the rest of our personnel back from their injuries, especially Brown, Mendy, Troy, and DeCastro. We need all hands on deck.

BritishSteel
11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Both Batch and Leftwich will be OK if they get a week of reps behind them, though Lefty takes an age to get the ball moving.

Lokki
11-13-2012, 06:28 AM
I prefer Batch over Leftwich. Batch has done well for us in the past and I agree that he is a much better fit in Haley's offense. However, I hope that Ben will be back and this conversation won't even matter much.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 06:59 AM
we're in the shit now - Next time fall on your head, ya bonehead.

Batch wouldn't last a series with his brittle bones.

Letwich still slinging those javelins, I'll stick with the big arm.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Should we consider the possibility of signing a free agent veteran QB this week just in case?

Leftwhich looked like he got concussed on his first play, and Batch, who isn't even active, might very well die if he takes a hard enough hit.

lardlad
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Don't forget Dennis Dixon almost (should have) beaten the Ravens a little while back. We can beat them. It will take a huge week of work to get him on board. Also if we get AB and Mendy back, maybe that compensates.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Don't forget Dennis Dixon almost (should have) beaten the Ravens a little while back. We can beat them. It will take a huge week of work to get him on board. Also if we get AB and Mendy back, maybe that compensates.

Mendy looked really bad against the Titans before he went out. I would just keep Dwyer in there, personally. Although, Mendy did look sweet against the Eagles. Tough decision the more I think about it.

Brown will help, but without Ben, it's a moot point.

We really really really need Ben back. Without him, the team will be lost on the field.

PettySteel
11-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Either QB will be prepared, but i think are best bet is Leftwich.. Sure wouldn't mind having Dixon still... Can always call McNabb or Favre.. LOL

maddog78
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Byron has the long windup, but he also still has a cannon. Did you see some of those lasers? Charlie is a rag arm. Baltimore will be sitting on his throws all game.

teegre
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
BALT is horrible against the run. Whichever QB starts, it needs to be just enough to keep 8 out of the box...

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I think that if we want Leftwich to play "Haleyball", then we're going to have problems (Batch would be better for that).
But if Haley can design something to complement Leftwich's greatest asset (his arm) then I think we'll be OK.

The obvious knock on BL is his mobility -- he doesn't have any. He tends to look more like a refrigerator in the pocket than a QB (although Ben tends to fall more like one) so he's going to need pocket help to stay upright. But BL's greatest asset is his arm and he's one of the few people on the planet who can actually overthrow Mike Wallace at full sprint and I think that would be a good place to start.

I think we need to design some plays that feature either Sanders or Wallace (or both) running deep sideline or post routes and let BL reach them with long balls. The only drawback there is that BL tends to throw a shallow ball and for that to work deep there needs to be separation. Ben throws a very high, arcing deep ball which is one reason why he really doesn't throw all that far (but he's gotten a bit better at that over the years) that sort of drops into the receiver's hands but Leftwich throws a rope that's faster and harder which is OK as long as the coverage isn't too tight.

BL is also not a "dink and dunk" passer (again Charlie would be better for that) but over the middle on mid-range routes I think he's fine. Although his biggest flaw is his long delivery (which telegraphs his passes), that doesn't mean much on medium-range slants and posts because he makes up for it in ball speed.

I think it breaks down like this:

If we want to keep running Haley's offense "as is", then Charlie might be the better choice for the short, touch-style passes and he also brings a bit more mobility to the table but doesn't really have a powerful deep ball. If we're going with Leftwich, then Haley needs to back away from the finesse game and think more in terms of a "Terry Bradshaw" type gameplan featuring deep balls and mid-range routes while keeping Miller or someone else in the backfield for extra protection to allow BL to wind up and throw.

I'm wondering if maybe it's time to think in terms of "Quarterback by committee" as we've been doing with the running game. Charlie has one skill set and Leftwich has another and maybe using both of them can allow Haley to run nearly a full version of his offense?

Something to think about....

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2012, 10:54 AM
The Ravens are just going to key on the sluggish plodding RB's we have in Dwyer and Redman. If we want to run the ball, the O line has to establish some dominance. Otherwise we are better with a healthy Mendenhall.

If there is no Mendenhall or Brown, then the Ravens gameplan is simple. Attack the RB's with abandon and if its play action, keep going by them towards the statuesque Steelers QB's. If the O line can give Lefty some time to use that big windup, then Miller, Wallace and hopefully Brown can be effective.

TRH
11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
i actually think Leftwich is much better than Batch. Batch is AWWWWWWFUL.

That said, i haven't been sold on our "backup QB situation" at all - no matter which one of the 2 you name.

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I told you we shoulda got Tebow

TRH
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
I told you we shoulda got Tebow

it sounds crazy - but he's better than both of our backups.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I hear McNabb needs a job

JWashington
11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree, give McNabb a holler.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
it sounds crazy - but he's better than both of our backups.

let's not talk crazy now, tebow was less accurate than dennis dixon

Terminator
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Leftwhich is so freaking slow, I would honestly take anyone over him right now. He can't even do quick screens because he has to wind up like he is churning a barrel of butter at the Amish market.

MDSteel15
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Bring back Slash!!!! :drink:

tony hipchest
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
tebow sux.

noodlearm batch w/ torn rotator cuff >>>> teblow X10

LVSteelersfan
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I had big concerns in preseason over the backup QB situation and questioned why they didn't try to find a decent backup for Ben. I honestly think we are toast with Lefty as QB against a team like the Ratbirds. Suggs will eat him for dinner.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Here are the current Free Agent QB's:

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Dennis Dixon
9. Mike Kafka
10. Josh McCown
11. A.J. Feeley
12. Curtis Painter
13. Troy Smith
14. Chris Redman
15. Stephen McGee
16. John Beck
17. J.P. Losman
18. Billy Volek
19. Richard Bartel
20. Ryan Perrilloux

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Dennis Dixon
9. Mike Kafka
10. Josh McCown
11. A.J. Feeley
12. Curtis Painter
13. Troy Smith
14. Chris Redman
15. Stephen McGee
16. John Beck
17. J.P. Losman
18. Billy Volek
19. Richard Bartel
20. Ryan Perrilloux

This list is also an employee roster for a Wal-Mart in Indiana. Pass on everyone on it.

FanSince72
11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
This list is also an employee roster for a Wal-Mart in Indiana. Pass on everyone on it.

ROFLMFAO!

(wouldn't it be a trip if Vince Young was a "Greeter"?)

Relax everybody!

Leftwich and/or Batch will be fine.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
We should just give ol' Jamarcus Russell a call

JWashington
11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
McNabb had a 80.1 passing rating for a Minnesota team with no good recievers. Percy Harvin hurt and Bernard Berrian was the number 1 wide-out who couldn't catch a cold. He was benched for Ponder and they went 1-7. They're doing great now. I'd take Donovan McNabb and his resume over Batch and Leftwich any day.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
JP loseman! lol

MDSteel15
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
14. Chris Redman
15. Stephen McGee

Vis
11-13-2012, 03:34 PM

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Dennis Dixon
9. Mike Kafka
10. Josh McCown
11. A.J. Feeley
12. Curtis Painter
13. Troy Smith
14. Chris Redman
15. Stephen McGee
16. John Beck
17. J.P. Losman
18. Billy Volek
19. Richard Bartel
20. Ryan Perrilloux

Jeff George

teegre
11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I had big concerns in preseason over the backup QB situation and questioned why they didn't try to find a decent backup for Ben. I honestly think we are toast with Lefty as QB against a team like the Ratbirds. Suggs will eat him for dinner.

I really wanted a QB drafted, specifically Ryan Lindley from SDSU (looks & plays just like BB, only not as good). He would have been the perfect back-up for PITT.

I mentioned this in another (of the "Leftwich" threads):
Leftwich with a week fo taking snaps with the first team offense should be better than he was (he had ZERO snaps... all season long). That said, his wiiiiiind-up scares me.

More importantly, this team is clicking, especially on defense. This reminds me of when BB was suspended: I could see the team going 3-1 (or even 4-0). Sometimes, when "the guy" goes down, others are forced to step up.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Steelers won't go outside, first off they think they have a standard built in 3 players deep at each position. that would be a strike agasint their mentality. So do not look for this.

2nd, do we even have any money to sign someone?

3rd, wow thats some list, lol.

4th: As much as I hate Mcnabb, JWash makes a good point. But it won't happen, and he is in no game shape to step right in anyway.

FrancoLambert
11-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Backup quarterback concerns are back.
Here's where having a younger guy play, take his lumps, learn from it and grow is the position we should be in.
Drafting a prospect at QB gets a lot of talk here and failure to do so is biting us now.
Leftwich is immobile and brittle, not a good combo for a QB.
I'd go with Batch.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM
It's not like we had a lot of choice. Would you rather skip Adams and Decastro in favor of a backup QB? Guys like Weeden were going that early, and he likely wouldn't be starting outside Cleveland. So you either trade our solidified line for a backup that hopefully will see 3 games tops in the next 4 years, or you burn a 4th or 5th round pick for a QB that would otherwise be mopping floors at a K-Mart. We'll be ok with Lefty and Batch until we can afford a QUALITY backup via higher draft round.

TheVet
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
The Ravens are gonna be all over an immobile QB with a full major league pitcher windup. This is really gonna suck. For once, just once, I'd like to see our OL do a credible job of pass blocking - but other than Pouncey and Starks, they just don't have the horses.

If Haley can't figure out some kind of clever adjustments, we are dead.

Hey Tomlin, open your eyes and give Batch the shot - he's proven himself. Why aren't you seeing what's right there in front of you???

TheVet
11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
At least we won't be involved in any of those maddening Tuck Rule challenges, because it takes a few seconds into his delivery before Byron's arm starts to move forward.

jiminpa
11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
I know this is a foreign language since Tomlin, but Haley gameplans for who he has versus who he is playing against. That means he isn't a short passing OC if his QB can't throw short. Ben may prefer to go for the lucky bomb every down, but he is capable of running a march it down the field offense. Not Leftwich's best strength, so expect something a little more suited to the QB that starts the game. He doesn't have time to blow up the playbook and start over, but he can adjust what's there.

Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Ed Bouchette said in today's chat it would have been Emmanuel Sanders.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...nscript-111312

STEELAMANIA
11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Peeps STILL crying about Leftys windup delivery as if he NEVER gets a pass thrown. I rememeber when he was with the Jags, I hated when our Steelers played him because his throws were so hard to defend against.

After Lefty helps the Steelers win 4 more in a row, some of u will still be crying......
Batch LOST against the Ravens when Ben was suspended.......he looked and played scared the whole game.

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Leftwich isn't a good fit for Haley's offense

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

When ranking the backups in the AFC North, I had Byron Leftwich at the top of the list. That doesn't mean Leftwich is the best backup for the Steelers.

If you know anything about Todd Haley's offense after eight games, it's a system that relies on short and quick passes. If you know anything about Leftwich after watching him throw a couple of passes, it's the fact that he doesn't get rid of the ball quickly.

In fact, Leftwich might have the slowest release in NFL history. The big criticism of Leftwich over his career has been his long windup. He looks more like someone pitching for the Pirates than throwing passes for the Steelers. His release is the extreme opposite of Kurt Warner.

If the Steelers knew this was the direction of Haley's offense, I'm confused on why they would think Leftwich would be a good fit in Pittsburgh. Leftwich's strong arm and desire to throw deep is better suited for the Steelers' old offense under Bruce Arians.

This isn't to say I'm endorsing Charlie Batch to start. At his age, he can fill in for a game or two. Batch won't hold up over an extended period, and no one knows when Ben Roethlisberger will return.

The Steelers are going with Leftwich and saying they are confident that the offense won't have to change with a change at quarterback. But, if the Steelers want to maintain success on offense, they're going to have to adapt to Leftwich's strengths.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59046/leftwich-isnt-a-good-fit-for-haleys-offense

LVSteelersfan
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
The best thing going for us against the Ratbirds is their run defense sucks. We need to just pound it in there with Redman and Dwyer and run the clock. Don't give Lefty a chance to screw things up. He is serviceable but not the best backup out there. I kind of think Hoyer would be a good pick up off that list if anyone else gets hurt. Lefty may not last long against the Ratbirds. Of course the Steelers would bring in Jerrod Johnson if they need someone. That is the way they roll.

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Teammates have confidence in Leftwich

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 14, 2012

Losing a starting quarterback could send panic waves through an NFL locker room, but that isn’t the case with the Steelers thanks to their depth.

The team will be without Ben Roethlisberger this week after he sprained the sternoclavicular (SC) joint in his right shoulder, but to a man every player has confidence in Byron Leftwich, who will step in and start against the Ravens on Sunday night at Heinz Field.

“He is more than capable of pulling this game out,” said guard Willie Colon. “We believe in him. As a line we have to do our job and make sure he has time to get the ball out. We have to run the ball effectively so he isn’t back there trying to be Superman. We have to have a balanced attack. We just have to do our part. We know Byron, the receivers and the running backs are going to do their part. As a line we have to be hard-nosed and be ready to go.

“We have all of the confidence in the world in Byron. I know he is going to step up and get the job done.”

Coach Mike Tomlin made it official on Wednesday that it would be Leftwich after getting an injury update on Roethlisberger. He said he didn’t have any kind of timetable as to how long Roethlisberger would be out, but he too is comfortable with Leftwich in the starting spot.

“He is a veteran guy,” said Tomlin. “This isn’t his first rodeo. He has good, charismatic leadership. He can make all the throws on the field. We expect winning football from him.”

Knowing early in the week that Leftwich will be the starter works to the Steelers advantage. It allows him to get plenty of reps with the starters, working on timing and getting comfortable with the receivers, and allows the rest of the offense the chance to get reacquainted, in a sense, with his style.

“We have a full week of practice to deal with the situation,” said guard Ramon Foster. “We have played with him before. We have full confidence in what he can do and he is able to get a win. We have to be us, protect him, let our backs run and we will be fine.”

Leftwich has played in seven games in four seasons with the Steelers, but this will be the first time he has started for the black and gold and the players don’t expect much to change in this week’s game plan.

“We will have the same plays,” said tight end Heath Miller. “Byron is capable of executing everything we do. We know where he is going to be, he is going to get the ball out and we know he’s going to get it done. We have a lot of history. Byron has been here a long time. It’s just a matter of getting a couple of days at practice so it’s not a big deal. We have confidence in our locker room the next man up is going to do the job.”

The Steelers have become accustomed to the “next man up” having to step in as they have had injuries at receiver, running back, linebacker, in the secondary and the offensive line this year. In each case someone has risen to the challenge and the same is expected of Leftwich this week.

“There will be a lot of ups and downs during the season, but only the strong survive,” said receiver Emmanuel Sanders. “You have to have a strong mentality and we do on this team. We have complete confidence in every guy in this locker room if the time comes they can step up and make plays for us.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/14/teammates-have-confidence-in-leftwich/