PDA

View Full Version : shaun suisham

bhandsome08
11-13-2012, 02:59 AM
How many game winning FGs does he have this season?
He's been a pleasant surprise this season. I still don't exactly Trust him kicking 50+ yards though.

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 03:07 AM
I know he missed one and made one, but not sure about any others. Granted this was a short winner. He DID miss one just a yard or so shorter with the Redskins to win the game, so he's gaining my trust little by little. Still need to see it in the playoffs when it matters the most.

MG08
11-13-2012, 03:09 AM
A pleasant surprise indeed. He must have strengthened up over the winter as his kickoffs are much better this year as well.

bornaSteelersfan
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
He is kicking well. Did anyone see the opening kickoff? Suisham darted right in there and made the tackle. The only thing Jeff Reed could tackle was a beer.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 12:32 PM
He is kicking well. Did anyone see the opening kickoff? Suisham darted right in there and made the tackle. The only thing Jeff Reed could tackle was a beer.

Pretty sure Sheetz had a player that he managed to tackle. Got a flag thrown on that play, though.

grward
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM

A beer and a paper towel dispenser! HA HA!

TheVet
11-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Hope he can do it when it counts - in the playoffs. The high-pressure situations have always been the biggest worry with Suisham.

Steelersfan87
11-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I've obviously been higher on Suisham than...well, probably everybody else. But he's proving once again to be reliable. The team just has to accept his limitations (namely, he does not have elite range). But compare his average between the 40s with the Steelers against others, and you'll see that he's been quite successful. Better than Reed, better than Anderson. He's the most accurate kicker in team history.

Terminator
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM

:sofunny::applaudit:

That was amazing

Yes, Squeez 'em Suisham has been doing great this year. I wish he had a tad bit more range, but his accuracy has been nothing short of wonderful.

Also, when we cut Reed and were trying out kickers, Suisham was the only consistent kicker banging out field goals at Heinz, which is notoriously hard to kick at.

TheVet
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes, there's the "elite range" limitation, but that's not a big deal. There's also the short kickoff/leg strength issue, but that's ameliorated to some degree by the current placement.

The really important limitation, of course, is that he has a history of unreliability in the big moment.

However, it is a nice surprise to see that he's proving to be reliable this year. Last season, he was the NFL's bottom-feeder kicker statistically. He could easily have been out of the league this year, but he seems to have used that embarrassing experience to refocus and put in the necessary work. And we are benefiting!

Steelersfan87
11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, at least we can hang our hat on the fact that he was 3 for 3 in the last playoff game we were in.

An interesting fact that I've just noticed. By going 3 for 3 yesterday, Suisham's career field goal percentage with the Steelers is now 85.1%. That would rank him 7th all time in accuracy behind Dan Bailey (tops with 87.3%), Nate Kaeding, Mike Vanderjagt, Rob Bironas, Shayne Graham, and Robbie Gould. Of course, his actual career average with all teams is 81.4%, which ranks 26th all time (three spots behind David Akers).