PDA

View Full Version : Batch over Leftwich

LayingTheWoodley56
11-13-2012, 12:44 PM
He seems like a nice enough dude, but let's face it: Lefty looked clueless out there last night. The look on his face was not that of a confident field general. You could time his throwing motion with a sun dial.

Charlie Batch is not an excellent option either, given his age, but he has managed the game admirably when he has been asked to start here. His 5-2 record is a testament to that. No, he will not be half as effective as BB, but I strongly endorse him to start over Leftwich. Remember 2010, we almost pulled one out against the Rats with him at the helm.

Now, given the somewhat encouraging news that just came out about Ben's injury, let's hope this point becomes moot by Sunday and the big fella will be able to gut it out. You know that if he physically can play with any level of effectiveness he will in a game like this.

Steelers>NFL
11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
If they both do not pan out (which I have no reason to believe they won't), then blame the coaching staff & FO.
They have been living and dying on these two guys for 3 seasons now. And seem to not want to upgrade the backup QB postion. Which the team needs badly. Because it is not "what if" Ben gets hurt and misses games. But "when"...
To think thet Eli Manning has not missed any game in his career. Pretty amazing.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I would honestly trust Batch's skillset more, but I would still start Lefty over him. I could see Batch leaving the field with about 18 bones fractured the first time Suggs comes loose on the rush. I know Lefty isn't Iron man himself, but i think at least his gut would absorb some of the impact.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
charlie is the better of the 2

Vis
11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
today on Sirius NFL Radio Tomlin said Lefty starts

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
today on Sirius NFL Radio Tomlin said Lefty starts

i'm surprised this guy's been in the NFL for 10+ years and still hasn't improved his throwing mechanics, i guess he's a career backup for a reason

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
No. Give Byron some time to actually warm up and work himself into a rhythm and he'll burn defenses all day.

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
charlie is the better of the 2

Agreed - but Tomlin has never been a Batch fan

In 2010 Dixon and Leftwich were the 2 candidiates that competed to sub for Ben during his suspension - Batch would have been released if Leftwich had not been injuredin the last 2010 preseason game

Coaches know better but Tomlin's low view of Charlie has been a puzzler to me

beer72
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I like charlie way more than lefty...

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Charlie Batch could break a hip just taking a snap

Lefty can still sling the javelin, all the way baby, oh yeah

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

and lefty is so durable he got injured in 2010 and found himself on IR in 2011

Fire Haley
11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
ancient history

like Charlie Batch - he looks good in his Duce warm-ups on the bench

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
and lefty is so durable he got injured in 2010 and found himself on IR in 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

Leftwich, even with a broken leg, can sling the ball.

FrancoLambert
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Lefty could break his wrist taking a snap.
Boy, are we set at backup QB!

TheVet
11-13-2012, 05:09 PM
People talk about Ben holding on to the ball too long. OMG, Byron holds the ball longer than Ben just during his delivery. What is it with this major league pitcher full windup stuff? SLOW ....

The Ravens aren't going to give him time to establish a rhythm, unfortunately. With our shaky pass blocking, an immobile QB with a painfully slow release could be a recipe for disaster. If Haley has any tricks for adjusting for personnel, now is the time to pull them out.

Count me among those who feel Charlie Batch is by far the better choice. Tomlin's attitude towards Batch is a mystery to me; the man has proven himself many times over.

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

Leftwich, even with a broken leg, can sling the ball.

that's like 10 years ago when he was a young buck. highly doubt he can do that now (although i won't doubt his grit, took some balls to stay on the field after that)

casteeler
11-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Kirk Cousins was available really late in the draft.....Just sayin!

Bayz101
11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
that's like 10 years ago when he was a young buck. highly doubt he can do that now (although i won't doubt his grit, took some balls to stay on the field after that)

Leftwich is only two years older than Ben.

Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Kirk Cousins was available really late in the draft.....Just sayin!

we would have had to use a 3rd round draft choice on Cousins to get him, that's not "really late".

...Just sayin!

casteeler
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
we would have had to use a 3rd round draft choice on Cousins to get him, that's not "really late".

...Just sayin!

And who did the Steelers draft in the 3rd round?Spence doesn't seem to be doing much so Cousins wouldn't have been a waste.

Darkstorm05
11-13-2012, 10:11 PM
And who did the Steelers draft in the 3rd round?Spence doesn't seem to be doing much so Cousins wouldn't have been a waste.

No QB drafted this year would be higher than 3rd on the chart. Hell, Ben was riding pine his rookie year, and only saw the field when Batch and Maddox both went out. If we'd had picked up a QB, we'd have cut Batch and Lefty would be starting Sunday either way.

PhantomJB93
11-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Spence will be a much greater asset to this team in the long run than Cousins would have been and I really don't see how anyone can believe otherwise.

Hindsight is 20/20, if Ben didn't get injured so seriously Cousins would never play and would have been viewed as a huge waste of a pick in the third round. A new backup QB isn't the worst idea but taking one that early right now is a huge mistake.

maddog78
11-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Batch gets a lot of love, but frankly I'm not sure why. He had a decent game last year vs. a terrible Rams team.

In 2010, against Tennessee, he was 5-11 for 25 yards. Against Tampa, 12-17 for 186 yards, 2 INT, 2 TD, 1 INT that bounced to the receiver for a TD. Against Baltimore, 12-21 for 141 yards and an INT.

After that, you have to go back to 2007 for his last start, when he was average against Baltimore. He had a couple of really good starts in 2006, but that's a long time ago. He's 38 in less than a month and really has no arm strength. We don't need him throwing up ducks with Ed Reed lurking.

I think a healthy Leftwich with a week to prepare will be fine. He threw a couple of really nice balls to Cotch and Sanders the other night and showed his cannon on the deep overthrow to Wallace. He was ice cold coming into the game but after an 0-3 start, finished 7-11.

I trust Haley to design a game plan to suit his skill set.

maddog78
11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
i'm surprised this guy's been in the NFL for 10+ years and still hasn't improved his throwing mechanics, i guess he's a career backup for a reason

Isn't Batch a career backup?

Fire Arians
11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Isn't Batch a career backup?

he would be starter caliber if he wasn't so injury prone. he had some good years in detroit but couldn't ever finish a season without being on the injured list.

leftwich has more flaws to his game imo. he can throw one hell of a long ball though

with that said, as a fan i'll support leftwich and hope he brings his A game against the ravens, we need him to.

Millers the sh!t
11-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Id rather see Hampton as our signal caller, based upon what I saw from leftwitch Monday night.

Bayz101
11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Again...everyone who dogs Leftwich for his play last night needs to compare his play with Ben's. They both finished with 50% completion percentage, and both had nearly the same amount of yardage, too. Saying that Leftwich sucked is basically saying that Ben sucks, and that Charlie should start ahead of both of them. Give Lefty an entire week to ready himself and he'll burn the Ravens next week. I don't think it's a long-term solution, but he'll be an excellent backup.

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Leftwich Worst Option For Steelers Against Ravens

Nov 13th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/11/6744546.jpg?5c12fd

Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich winds up to throw the football, and in the time that it takes you to read the entirety of this sentence, he will have finally released the football. Even for a fast reader, the length of that sentence would guarantee trouble for any quarterback.

A 3 step vs 5 step vs shotgun vs 7 step drop is one thing when it comes to examining the release of a football from the time the ball is snapped. Those kinds of patterns just determine the overall time receivers have to run their own patterns. The factor that doesn’t change in any of those is that whenever the quarterback decides that he needs to throw the football, he needs to do it quickly. This has always been a problem for Byron Leftwich. In fact, you could say it is the sole reason why he will only ever be a backup quarterback the rest of his career. He certainly still has the arm strength to throw the ball 50 yards down the field. But like I Tweeted during the game last night – it just takes him forever to deliver the football.

Mike Tomlin reported on Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger is listed as ‘questionable’ for Sunday night’s game against the Ravens. Most doctors will tell you that an injury such as this one - sternoclavicular injury (that’s a 80 point word score for those playing at home) – takes about three to six weeks to fully heal. It’s a very painful injury to start out, and it takes about three weeks just for the pain to subside. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I want Ben taking any brutal hits from that Ravens defense this Sunday. I’m sure Tomlin is listing him as questionable by playing the ‘injury game’ with his opponents. In reality he is more than likely ‘doubtful.’

So that leaves either Leftwich or Charlie Batch to take the snaps under center. Batch is clearly the superior in this situation. Well, he’ll always be the superior option when it comes to Leftwich. Todd Haley’s offense is a quick throw kind of offense. There are many screens and crossing routes that are dependent on 3 step (hell even 1 step) drops that need the ball out very quickly. Again, Leftwich is not conducive for this kind of offensive scheme. This was very apparent last night, especially when Leftwich was asked to throw a quick screen out to the wide out. Those types of plays require the quickest of releases because the offense is trying to catch the defensive backs off guard or take advantage of a large cushioned coverage. That these screens gain even 5 or 6 yards is greatly attributed to the fact that Ben gets rid of the ball quickly. Watching Leftwich execute these kinds of screens or slants was downright painful – and it sure seemed painful for those receivers getting hit immediately. The defensive backs and linebackers had an easy time reading Leftwich’s delivery and closed quickly on whomever caught the ball.

The same results are likely if Lefwich is used against the Ravens. Compounding the problem even more for the Steelers offense is the fast and physical pass rush of the Ravens. Ray Lewis may be out. And, in case you couldn’t hear Dan Dierdorf having a minor T-Sizzle’gasm during his first game back a few weeks ago – Suggs will be back in full force to wreak havoc in the Pittsburgh backfield. Did you see Leftwich’s first pass play on Monday night? It didn’t go very well for him as KC got penetration and caused a lineman to roll under his legs.

I thought for a few moments that Leftwich would leave the game with some type of neck or head injury, but he stuck it out. There will be plenty of that when it comes to the Ravens D. Guys like Ngata and Suggs have a habit of giving the Steelers offensive line problems over the course of an entire game.

Batch may be a little older and slower with the footwork, but he has a quicker release and can still throw the ball down the field when the opportunity arrises. He’s a proven effective game manager, and will give the Steelers their best chance of having solid offensive production against the Ravens. That’s all we can ask for at this point. If Ben sits for the next couple of weeks to heal, maybe he’ll be ready by the second game against the Ravens in three weeks. I like our chances better then than now. Batch might just squeak out a win.

Leftwich? It’s going to be a long day for that offense, and an even longer day for the Steelers D because they are going to be on the field for a long time if he starts.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/13/leftwich-worst-option-for-steelers-against-ravens/

Millers the sh!t
11-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Again...everyone who dogs Leftwich for his play last night needs to compare his play with Ben's. They both finished with 50% completion percentage, and both had nearly the same amount of yardage, too. Saying that Leftwich sucked is basically saying that Ben sucks, and that Charlie should start ahead of both of them. Give Lefty an entire week to ready himself and he'll burn the Ravens next week. I don't think it's a long-term solution, but he'll be an excellent backup.

I hope ur right Bayz.....

But Ben did suck Monday night. He wasn't playing smart at all. Looking a bit desperate and forcing a lot of balls. Just my opinion. I feel it was his worst game of the season and it reminded me of much darker times under Arians....... ( Denver game)

Bayz101
11-14-2012, 05:10 AM
I hope ur right Bayz.....

But Ben did suck Monday night. He wasn't playing smart at all. Looking a bit desperate and forcing a lot of balls. Just my opinion. I feel it was his worst game of the season and it reminded me of much darker times under Arians....... ( Denver game)

I agree. I also believe the weather probably attributed to the bad play.

mikegrimey
11-14-2012, 05:53 AM
If they both do not pan out (which I have no reason to believe they won't), then blame the coaching staff & FO.
They have been living and dying on these two guys for 3 seasons now. And seem to not want to upgrade the backup QB postion. Which the team needs badly. Because it is not "what if" Ben gets hurt and misses games. But "when"...
To think thet Eli Manning has not missed any game in his career. Pretty amazing.

And just how many teams have star caliber talent at the backup QB position? My Bears friends were moaning about the same thing this week, it never occurred to them that, as backup QBs go, Jason Campbell isn't a bad option. Same with us, Leftwich isn't a bad backup QB at all, theres not a lot of star caliber QBs riding the bench. how would you upgrade the backup QB position?

defence
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I agree. I also believe the weather probably attributed to the bad play.

And probably KC's defence had a little to do with it too. Let's face it; Romeo Crennel has been giving Ben fits for a long time now!! This is a good KC defence; I know the numbers don't show it; but they're not that far off!!

Terminator
11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
And probably KC's defence had a little to do with it too. Let's face it; Romeo Crennel has been giving Ben fits for a long time now!! This is a good KC defence; I know the numbers don't show it; but they're not that far off!!

I put the Chiefs and Browns in the same boat. Lots of talent that is horribly mismanaged. One could make the same case for the Chargers as well.

None of those teams are going to be "easy" to beat.

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 02:34 PM

I agree, the Chiefs' defense held the Ravens to only 3 FGs.

SteelersCanada
11-14-2012, 02:35 PM
And just how many teams have star caliber talent at the backup QB position? My Bears friends were moaning about the same thing this week, it never occurred to them that, as backup QBs go, Jason Campbell isn't a bad option. Same with us, Leftwich isn't a bad backup QB at all, theres not a lot of star caliber QBs riding the bench. how would you upgrade the backup QB position?

Jerrod Johnson flashed in the preseason, but we kept veteran presence over a young guy. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's costing us right now. I have confidence in Byron and think he can lead us to the playoffs, but Charlie right now isn't doing much. I understand it's like having a coach on the sidelines, but his role is becoming (in my opinion, has become) obsolete. With Ben this teams leader, I'm not sure having another guy like Charlie provides anything but an unnecessary cap hit.

But, completely agree with you. There's no team out there that has anyone but an average second string.

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Jerrod Johnson flashed in the preseason, but we kept veteran presence over a young guy. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's costing us right now. I have confidence in Byron and think he can lead us to the playoffs, but Charlie right now isn't doing much. I understand it's like having a coach on the sidelines, but his role is becoming (in my opinion, has become) obsolete. With Ben this teams leader, I'm not sure having another guy like Charlie provides anything but an unnecessary cap hit.

But, completely agree with you. There's no team out there that has anyone but an average second string.

Exactly how is it costing us? Did we lost on Monday? Have we lost to the Ratbirds yet? When you have a franchise QB who still has 6-7 years left there is no point to keeping a young QB. You are better off with a veteran who knows the offense.

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Id rather see Hampton as our signal caller, based upon what I saw from leftwitch Monday night.
Your intelligence is showing through...

defence
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I agree, the Chiefs' defense held the Ravens to only 3 FGs.

I'm telling you guys. This team is not as bad as it's record!! They got some serious players on D and a good offensive line and rb. You are bang on; they could have beaten the ravens!! This is the NFL this year!! A lot of parity! I would give a heavy dose of running to the ravens so it doesn't fall on Lefty!!:tt03:

JeromeBetties63
11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Exactly how is it costing us? Did we lost on Monday? Have we lost to the Ratbirds yet? When you have a franchise QB who still has 6-7 years left there is no point to keeping a young QB. You are better off with a veteran who knows the offense.

Totally agree. All these people debating Lefty vs. Batch should look around the league. BOTH OF THESE GUYS ARE BETTER THAN MOST BACK-UPS. No, they are not Ben, yes we need Ben back to make a SB run...but for a game or two, we should be glad to have the options we do!

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Totally agree. All these people debating Lefty vs. Batch should look around the league. BOTH OF THESE GUYS ARE BETTER THAN MOST BACK-UPS. No, they are not Ben, yes we need Ben back to make a SB run...but for a game or two, we should be glad to have the options we do!

From the sounds of the injury he will definitively be out for more than 2 games. Sounds more than likely that he will be out at least 4 games:noidea:

SteelersCanada

That's just the thing, though - this is a completely new offense to all three quarterbacks. I'm sure Byron and Charlie know this offense now, but if Jerrod was kept, he would have too. I'm not saying let's bring him on now, it'd be silly. But, keeping a younger guy that flashed in the preseason than a couple of aging veterans who don't have a lot left in the tank seemed like a better option.

No question I start Byron over Jerrod, but I would have liked them to keep him around as the long term backup to Ben. It's never a bad thing to have a young guy who's eager to show what he can do.

Terminator
I would give a heavy dose of running to the ravens so it doesn't fall on Lefty!!:tt03:

Agreed. Cycle in Mendy, Dwyer, and Redman. Protect the ball. Run it straight up their ass until they are so tired and beat they can barely get in formation anymore.

Remember, Ngata and Reed are both nursing injuries, and could very well go down at any moment.

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I would give a heavy dose of running to the ravens so it doesn't fall on Lefty!!:tt03:

I believe that will undoubtedly be our game plan, especially since the Ravens are ranked only 26th in the NFL in run defense.

however, I suspect that the Ravens are well aware of that fact also and will load up against the run and dare Lefty to beat them with his arm.

SteelersCanada
11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I believe that will undoubtedly be our game plan, especially since the Ravens are ranked only 26th in the NFL in run defense.

however, I suspect that the Ravens are well aware of that fact also and will load up against the run and dare Lefty to beat them with his arm.

Yup. If Wallace can get any separation from Smith - and I fully expect him to - Lefty can use that huge arm of his and hit him in stride. I mean, he overthrew Wallace at full speed - how many guys can do that? If he can get Wallace accurately, this could potentially be a big game for Mikey.

Of course, this all relies on the fact that we can run it effectively and force them to respect our running game so we can work off play action.

Kanata-Steeler
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Lefty can be the The Pillsbury Dough Boy at times, He can NOT take hits like Batch. Then again, Batch is getting older, whoopee, aren't we all. But Batch has always been inherently tough, always.
Batch reminds of "Get Smart" -He instantly gets up after every hit. :)
It's all good, we got them both.
:)

mikegrimey
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
That's just the thing, though - this is a completely new offense to all three quarterbacks. I'm sure Byron and Charlie know this offense now, but if Jerrod was kept, he would have too. I'm not saying let's bring him on now, it'd be silly. But, keeping a younger guy that flashed in the preseason than a couple of aging veterans who don't have a lot left in the tank seemed like a better option.

No question I start Byron over Jerrod, but I would have liked them to keep him around as the long term backup to Ben. It's never a bad thing to have a young guy who's eager to show what he can do.

What did Johnson flash in the preseason? The same people fawned over Dixons preseason exploits against 3rd stringers and the cut list. Having Johnson on the roster now would be meaningless.

mikegrimey
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Apparently the rest of the NFL doesn't think Johnson is worthy if a roster spot either, he's playing in the UFL