PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich will start

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
no more whining

Quarterback Byron Leftwich will start Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field, replacing injured Ben Roethlisberger

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/14/leftwich-to-start-vs-ravens/

Men of Steel
11-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I BELIEVE IN BYRON! :tt03:

There, I said it. No use, being negative and talking like the sky is falling. The Steelers are a very good team when they play great, and Sunday they will come ready to play!

They are capable of winning and you can NEVER count them out!

Fire Arians
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
get er done

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
ESPN proposes Haley find an old Arians game plan for Sunday night

Leftwich isn't a good fit for Haley's offense

If you know anything about Todd Haley's offense after eight games, it's a system that relies on short and quick passes. If you know anything about Leftwich after watching him throw a couple of passes, it's the fact that he doesn't get rid of the ball quickly.

In fact, Leftwich might have the slowest release in NFL history:jawdrop:...

Leftwich's strong arm and desire to throw deep is better suited for the Steelers' old offense under Bruce Arians...

The Steelers are going with Leftwich and saying they are confident that the offense won't have to change with a change at quarterback. But, if the Steelers want to maintain success on offense, they're going to have to adapt to Leftwich's strengths.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59046/leftwich-isnt-a-good-fit-for-haleys-offense

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I said no whining....we are not the Jets.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM

It is ESPN that is whining:chuckle:

Fire Arians
11-14-2012, 12:13 PM

we'd have a right to whine if tim tebow was our backup qb and we actually gave up draft picks for him

maddog78
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Outside of the 2007 outlier, the way we've beaten Baltimore is with defense and a few key plays. We don't need Byron to be a hero, just manage the game and don't turn it over.

This team struggled twice with Cleveland.

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Hmmm...

If the Steelers knew this was the direction of Haley's offense, I'm confused on why they would think Leftwich would be a good fit in Pittsburgh. Leftwich's strong arm and desire to throw deep is better suited for the Steelers' old offense under Bruce Arians.

I think I will trust the Steelers coaches more than some ESPN internet writer... Did any of these experts actually watch Byron play during the years he started in Jacksonville? When he was healthy he was a good QB. His QBR rating was usually in the mid-80s. It was only injuries that derailed him.

maddog78
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Chin up, Steeler fans. These are the four games the Ravens have won against the Steelers when Ben missed a start. I see average to bad QB numbers and still only narrow Raven victories. We can win with a serviceable effort from Lefty.

2005 - Maddox - 19/36, 230, 1 TD, 1 INT, lost 13-16
2007 - Batch - 16/31, 218, 2 TD, 2 INT, lost 21-27
2009 - Dixon - 12/26, 145, 1 TD, 1 INT, lost 17-20
2010 - Batch - 12/21, 141, 0 TD, 1 INT, lost 14-17

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
we'd have a right to whine if tim tebow was our backup qb and we actually gave up draft picks for him

Sanchez is so bad that the only way they can defend him is to blame Tebow.

Fire Arians
11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
rex ryan is so fat he gotta iron his pants in the driveway

Terminator
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
rex ryan is so fat he gotta iron his pants in the driveway

Is that before or after the foot fetish party?

SteelerEmpire
11-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Byron can do it. The defense will have to step it up though.

torpedoshell31
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
The Ravens are always lucking out by playing us when Ben is out. Can anyone remember the last time,if ever, that Flacco has missed a game due to injury?

wootawnee
11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Im stoked......The team seems excited to have B-lefty in there.....I cant wait.....

Rotorhead
11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Can anyone remember when Flacco was good? Or when he won a superbowl, or went to a superbowl as a player and not a spectator?

terpsnation
11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
The Ravens are always lucking out by playing us when Ben is out. Can anyone remember the last time,if ever, that Flacco has missed a game due to injury?

I think we'd prefer to play you with Ben in the game. If the Ravens win, it's less meaningful, if the Ravens lose, it's more painful.

Flacco has never missed a game (though he has not showed up to quite a few).

BleedPurple
11-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Never.

BleedPurple
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Can anyone remember when Flacco was good? Or when he won a superbowl, or went to a superbowl as a player and not a spectator?

Flacco is good now, he has not won a superbowl because he has never gone to a superbowl, though he did throw a game-winner that puts us in the superbowl if Lee Evans doesn't let it get batted out of his hands, and I am not familiar enough with his personal life to tell you if he has been to a superbowl as a spectator.

BleedPurple
11-14-2012, 01:29 PM

By the way, you are only insulting yourself by insinuating that Flacco is bad, because he tore your team a new one TWICE last year. I guess you get crushed by bad QBs these days?

wootawnee
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Flacco is good now, he has not won a superbowl because he has never gone to a superbowl, though he did throw a game-winner that puts us in the superbowl if Lee Evans doesn't let it get batted out of his hands, and I am not familiar enough with his personal life to tell you if he has been to a superbowl as a spectator.

That was a heck of a play that Sterling Moore made on that ball.....It was a great play....The part that is sad, is at the end of the game Harbaugh said were sticking with Billy, and was pumping him up, but threw him under the bus next season......

tburhans
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Byron has always been a serviceable qb that for the most part doesn't turn the ball over. He is by no means a mobile qb but I have faith that our line will play hard to keep him upright and if we can get a turn over or two we can win it without ben. Oh yeah and Byron is pretty tough himself. Anybody remember this? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Byron has always been a serviceable qb that for the most part doesn't turn the ball over. He is by no means a mobile qb but I have faith that our line will play hard to keep him upright and if we can get a turn over or two we can win it without ben. Oh yeah and Byron is pretty tough himself. Anybody remember this? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

Yeah, let anyone who doubts his leadership or toughness watch this and still try to question it.

Oa1JhHcGD7g

AgentGold007
11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I personally prefer Batch over Lefty, but since the decision has been made in favor of Lefty, then so be it. Almost all signs point to a ravens victory, but I believe the Steelers will find a way to eek out a victory Sunday night. It may not be pretty, but a win is a win. I think the defense should be able to keep the score low enough that we will be able to score just enough points to win. A 3 point win is just as good as a 33 point win.

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I think the defense should be able to keep the score low enough that we will be able to score just enough points to win. A 3 point win is just as good as a 33 point win.
Lol... especially since we don't do 33-point wins... no matter who is QB

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Pete Prisco believes

This is a huge game in the AFC. The winner will be in first place in the AFC North. This used to be a physical war, but it's now more about each team's passing game. One problem: The Steelers might not have Ben Roethlisberger. Can Byron Leftwich keep up if it's a shootout? I think he can. The Steelers find a way -- even without Roethlisberger.

Steelers - 28 Ravens - 23

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/prisco/picks/week11

Fire Arians
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
mendenhall practices fully and is expected to be back sunday. good news.

AgentGold007
11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Lol... especially since we don't do 33-point wins... no matter who is QB

True indeed. I was making reference to those in the national media and all of the doom and gloomers out there who seem to completely dismiss the Steelers defense as a part of the game. They make it seem as if the Steelers defense does it's job and holds a team to 17 points or fewer, then that means the offense has to score 50 or more points in order to win. Which is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win 50-17, but I'll take an 18-17 victory just as well :tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
True indeed. I was making reference to those in the national media and all of the doom and gloomers out there who seem to completely dismiss the Steelers defense as a part of the game. They make it seem as if the Steelers defense does it's job and holds a team to 17 points or fewer, then that means the offense has to score 50 or more points in order to win. Which is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win 50-17, but I'll take an 18-17 victory just as well :tt04:

a W is a W...:tt02:

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Right on! I'd love to see a 3 to 2 victory Sunday. It would keep me on the edge of my seat all night (which is where I am every Steelers' game).

Fire Haley
11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
mendenhall practices fully and is expected to be back sunday. good news.

they better load up and throw every single body there is that can still walk out there

for the rest of the season.... and hope for a miracle

yea verily

Kanata-Steeler
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Batch, let me repeat Batch and NOT Leftwich raises this team. no offense Byron.

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
the ratty ratbirds haven't exactly been fearsome this year..
26th run defense
26th pass defense
16 sacks
its the officials the steelers need to worry about. they are the real reason the rat bastards are still in 1st in the division.

Rotorhead
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I dont insult myself lol, I just stated the truth. Until Flacco wins something, he will be a regular season doll just like Romo. He is like alot if other QBs, big stats and no rings which is even more pathetic given the caliber of the ravens def the past few years.

Fire Arians
11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
26th run defense
26th pass defense
16 sacks
its the officials the steelers need to worry about. they are the real reason the rat bastards are still in 1st in the division.

and terrell suggs has been terrrell sucks this year

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
If Sandwich wins this game for us I will start calling him by his real name but first he must earn it in my books.

Now as far as the other QB's that won games for us when Ben was out had at least some talent. Maybe I am being too critical but after watching a few throws from him and seeing how he controlled the offense I have no faith in him. But like I've been saying I hope he proves me wrong but something tells me we are primarily going to have to depend on our defense. I still this this is going to be a brutal loss.

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 10:28 PM
FYI...what's so bad about Tebow? He did a great job when he was QB and as a rookie took his team to the playoffs. He has a lot of talent and would be better then Sandwich.

Darkstorm05
11-14-2012, 10:31 PM
If Sandwich wins this game for us I will start calling him by his real name but first he must earn it in my books.

Now as far as the other QB's that won games for us when Ben was out had at least some talent. Maybe I am being too critical but after watching a few throws from him and seeing how he controlled the offense I have no faith in him. But like I've been saying I hope he proves me wrong but something tells me we are primarily going to have to depend on our defense. I still this this is going to be a brutal loss.

Leftwich has played like 6 games filling in for Ben, and he pretty much mopped up. He finished 2008 with us with like a 105 passer rating. When he took over at the Chiefs his performance mirrored Ben's numbers. How can you bag on him for this last game when his numbers were near identical to Ben's?

ChristianKustomz
11-14-2012, 10:36 PM
By the way, you are only insulting yourself by insinuating that Flacco is bad, because he tore your team a new one TWICE last year. I guess you get crushed by bad QBs these days?

Blah blah blah to another Ravens supporter. How about this...at least our QB can actually win a SuperBowl. At least our QB doesn't wine when he gets hurt. At least our QB has more trophies and MVP's then Flacco ever will. Yes Flacco is ok but he's no Ben. He's a wannabe Ben. Just a shadow playing for a team the always chokes when the game is on the line. Ravens are a second rate team. We have 6 SB rings and hold the most NFL records then any NFL team in the entire history of the NFL. Most rings, most playoff championships etc. Flacco is just a shadow of the actual talent needed to be a winner.

Go back to the Ravens forum.

We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH

EbonySteel86
11-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Byron will be placed on IR in the 1st half Sunday night. Mark my words.

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 11:41 PM

How old are you, 12?

desertsteel
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Blah blah blah to another Ravens supporter. How about this...at least our QB can actually win a SuperBowl. At least our QB doesn't wine when he gets hurt. At least our QB has more trophies and MVP's then Flacco ever will. Yes Flacco is ok but he's no Ben. He's a wannabe Ben. Just a shadow playing for a team the always chokes when the game is on the line. Ravens are a second rate team. We have 6 SB rings and hold the most NFL records then any NFL team in the entire history of the NFL. Most rings, most playoff championships etc. Flacco is just a shadow of the actual talent needed to be a winner.

We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGHI hate to be the one to tell you but Ben doesn't have any MVPs.

teegre
11-15-2012, 12:17 AM
26th run defense
26th pass defense
16 sacks

That's what I've been saying for a few weeks: BALT is not the BALT of old. They gave up back-to-back 200 yard rushing days...

...one of which was to KC.

Speaking of which, they beat KC due to a crappy fumble call (9-6 instead of 9-13). They beat the Taperiots due to a "judgement" call on a FG. And, Joe Flacco still sucks.

Run behind The Colon & Pouncey. Establish the run. Then, hit them deep with Wallace (Leftwich can throw a pretty-looking deep ball). Two "easy" TDs, plus one more long TD drive, and I see a 17-21 victory.

SteelCurtain5643
11-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Dude you're not even clever with the Sandwich stuff and its just plain annoying and you sound retarded so just stop seriously.

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has a history with the Baltimore Ravens

By Neal Coolong on Nov 14

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3238363/156291418.0_standard_500.0.jpg

A trading snafu between Baltimore and Minnesota during the NFL Draft - the second in two years for the Vikings - brought Byron Leftwich to Jacksonville in 2003.

Millions of dollars are spent every year on the product that is the NFL Draft. From scouting to analysts to video to bandwidth, the high-ranking players eligible to be selected are spun around and evaluated inside and out.

It's difficult to get a good idea in real time how each team did in the particular draft, but well after the dust settles, and memories fade, some things can become pretty clear.

The 2003 NFL Draft is a good example of this. The fortunes of two teams were benefited greatly, even if, at the time, it appeared as if a major blunder had occurred.

The draft went pretty much as expected through the first six picks - Cincinnati took QB Carson Palmer, WR Charles Rogers went second to Detroit (whoops), Houston took WR Andre Johnson, the Jets took DT Dewayne Robertson, Dallas took CB Terence Newman and New Orleans went with DT Jonathan Sullivan (another whoops).

Sitting on the clock with the seventh pick, the Vikings were ideal trade partners from a multitude of teams. The target was Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich - the second passer during a multi-year run on MAC conference quarterbacks that included Chad Pennington (2000 to the Jets) and Ben Roethlisberger (2004 to the Steelers).

We may never get the exact truth of what happened, but in a furious 10-minute span, allegations of Vikings indecision, communications failures and general chaos ensued.

The Vikings weren't strangers to this. Selecting No. 7 overall in 2002, the Vikings were alleged to have had their top choice, DT Ryan Sims, taken from them. Dallas and Kansas City agreed to a trade, swapping the No. 6 pick (Dallas's) and the No. 8 pick (Kansas City's). Time on the Chiefs pick had expired, and per draft rules, when the clock expires without a pick, the team selecting after the team on the clock can make a selection.

In this case, the Vikings were drafting No. 7, and since the Chiefs, now owners of the No. 6 pick, hadn't selected, the Vikings were free to choose. The story goes a Chiefs assistant equipment manager literally blocked the Vikings from submitting Sims's name until he got confirmation the trade had been consummated. He then submitted Sims' name for the Chiefs pick.

More on who the Vikings took in a minute.

Back to 2003, The Steelers were on the clock with the seventh pick, and they had a deal worked out with the Ravens, who were selecting 10th. The teams would swap picks, with the Ravens wanting Leftwich. The Vikings claim they called the pick into the league, but no one answered the phone. In the meantime, the clock expired, and the Jacksonville Jaguars jumped ahead of them to take Leftwich, thus killing the deal.

The Vikings weren't prepared to make a pick, because they thought they had just traded it away. In the confusion, Carolina jumped up to take OT Jordan Gross.

The Vikings then submitted their pick, now, No. 9 overall: DT Kevin Williams. Without a deal in place, the Ravens had to settle for DE/OLB Terrell Suggs.

While Leftwich was seen as the franchise passer for the next 10 years in Jacksonville, Gross was an All-Pro in 2008 and has been to multiple Pro Bowls. Williams is arguably the best 3-technique defensive tackle of his generation and Terrell Suggs was the 2011 AP Defensive Player of the Year, along with going to multiple Pro Bowls himself.

Leftwich was cut by the Jaguars before the 2007 season, losing the starting job to David Garrard. Leftwich ended up in post-Vick Atlanta, and eventually, Pittsburgh in 2008. He left for a brief gig in Tampa Bay, only to end back up in Pittsburgh, where he's been since 2009.

Even more interesting, though, is connected back to the 2002 draft. The Vikings coveted Sims, and were essentially screwed by the Chiefs (not much of a gain for them, as it turns out, Sims was out of Kansas City by 2007, and out of football by 2010). Instead, they drafted OT Bryant McKinnie.

McKinnie is now a reserve linemen for the Ravens after starting at left tackle for them in 2011 and part of 2012.

Not that the Ravens made the greatest decisions after that. They traded their 2004 first round pick and a 2004 second round pick to New England for the Patriots' No. 19 overall selection. The Patriots selected Vince Wilfork with that pick. The Ravens took Kyle Boller.

Now, this and a buck will get you a cup of coffee and a newspaper with better writing than I can give you, but the extremely small world of the NFL is all connected, and it's interesting to see that play out over time.

The Vikings were savaged by the media in 2003, and ended up with one of the best defensive players of his time (I'd be surprised if Williams is not in the Hall of Fame at some point) and the anchor of a great defensive team in that decade. Suggs, the last player taken in the whole affair has had an outstanding career himself, particularly against the Steelers. Even Gross had a decent amount of success.

Leftwich has clearly been the least of three players, but he likely has the chance to bring things full circle with a likely start against Baltimore in Week 11, filling in for the injured Ben Roethlisberger - who isn't expected to play due to a shoulder injury.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/14/3644048/byron-leftwich-baltimore-ravens-nfl-draft-2003-minnesota-vikings-jacksonville-jaguars

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 02:04 AM
That was a heck of a play that Sterling Moore made on that ball.....It was a great play....The part that is sad, is at the end of the game Harbaugh said were sticking with Billy, and was pumping him up, but threw him under the bus next season......

He (Billy) had a strong leg, but really started to become a liability once kickoffs were moved up 5 yards. He was slated to be our kicker this season but lost the job in the preseason to our current kicker, which so far has turned out to be a good move.

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 02:06 AM
That's what I've been saying for a few weeks: BALT is not the BALT of old. They gave up back-to-back 200 yard rushing days...

...one of which was to KC.

Speaking of which, they beat KC due to a crappy fumble call (9-6 instead of 9-13). They beat the Taperiots due to a "judgement" call on a FG. And, Joe Flacco still sucks.

Run behind The Colon & Pouncey. Establish the run. Then, hit them deep with Wallace (Leftwich can throw a pretty-looking deep ball). Two "easy" TDs, plus one more long TD drive, and I see a 17-21 victory.

7-2 is the only stat that matters.

Although #1 defense in the red zone is a nice bonus...

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 02:11 AM
and terrell suggs has been terrrell sucks this year

Yea! His stat line looks like he didn't even play the first 8 games! What a loser, not like he was dpoy last year or anything.

You guys have serious ravens envy this season, it's sad.

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 02:25 AM

We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH

Once we have been around for 80 years we can compare rings. Until then comparing a team that has been around since 33 to a team formed in '96 is asinine. Stop leaning on 40 year old rings and let's talk about this season. We are healthier and more talented, and you are going to lose on Sunday.

kent
11-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Once we have been around for 80 years we can compare rings. Until then comparing a team that has been around since 33 to a team formed in '96 is asinine. Stop leaning on 40 year old rings and let's talk about this season. We are healthier and more talented, and you are going to lose on Sunday.

Ok lets compare rings since '96 then. Steelers have 2 as well as making it to another super bowl. Ravens have one, granted they would probably have a couple more had the Steelers not knocked them out of the playoffs.

LambertWardSteel
11-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Ok lets compare rings since '96 then. Steelers have 2 as well as making it to another super bowl. Ravens have one, granted they would probably have a couple more had the Steelers not knocked them out of the playoffs.

:drink: :thumbsup:

Terminator
11-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Dude, why are you even here? Really? You come on a Steelers forum to run your mouth about a team that is the most consistent choke artist in the post-season of the last decade?

"Flacco has taken us to the playoffs every year! Just don't ask us what happened once we got there."

teegre
11-15-2012, 08:37 AM
7-2 is the only stat that matters.

Here is the only stat that matters to WINNING organizations:
6:1

Oh... you are averring that we should only could Lombardis since 1996...
2:1

Better yet, how about we count Lombardis in even more recent times, lets say the last ten years:
2:0

Applauding regular season wins are for Colts fans ("We may have lost in the opening round of the play-offs, but, Yee-ha!!!.. we went 13-3!!!") AND for Taperiot fans ("We ate humble pie, we went undefeated in the regular season, and we lost the championship... but, but, but... we were 18-0 at one point... hey... look at us... hey!!!... 18-1...").

So... uh... yeah!!!... 7-2!!!

steelfury02
11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
one question - are you on a Steelers forum? Thought so.

I think what we have to say means quite a bit to you - otherwise, why would you be on here? If you come here to argue a 7-2 record as being a huge achievement - what else do you expect?

Coming on here blasting out "We're 7-2, we're healthier, derp de derp" is equally if not more foolish than someone comparing the legacy of a football team. Matter of fact - a lot of you Ravens fans like to throw out Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts as part of your Ravens history. So, don't go throwing around that "built in 96" crap.

If you would just admit that you're on here because your fan base is envious - we can move on. If not, I think you really need to spend your time on a Ravens forum, where you can obsess over the many uses of Mardi Gras beads. :wave:

These are your fans. Looks like a football town to me. NOT
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzQ1BepZz0u_zNqhBtlzvSaPzgLs6t_ J8G7gTIizA33clLzFAg

Edman
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Joe Flacco hasn't missed a game, like that even matters. The Ravens don't need Joe Flacco to be hurt or not. It's not like they went anywhere with him anyway, nor are they going anywhere with him anytime soon. The guy the Ravens absolutely CANNOT afford to lose is Ray Rice, and they know this. Goes to show that level of confidence the organization has in Joe.

I think the Steelers can manage until Ben comes back (Knowing him, is sooner than we think).

That dumb "We haven't existed as long as you have" excuse doesn't fly. The Ravens have no problem taking the legacy of the Baltimore Colts by inducting Johnny U. and the old Colts.

Fire Arians
11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

well you guys really are the browns, deny that all you want, it's true

desertsteel
11-15-2012, 01:42 PM
well you guys really are the browns, deny that all you want, it's true

To help them out let's just add up all the Super Bowl titles of the Ravens, Browns and Baltimore Colts. How's that for fair?

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Inside the locker room: Byron Leftwich

Are you excited to get back out there?

Yeah, to be honest with you, I am. Itís exciting to get an opportunity to go out there with the Mike Wallaces of the world, the Emmanuel Sanders, the Heath Millers, to have an opportunity to get the ball to these guys. Just to play with this caliber of team gives me comfort, understanding who Iím going out there with. This isnít the ďBad News Bears.Ē That gives me comfort with the playmakers we have around me. Weíll see Sunday night.

Re: Having time to prepare knowing that you are starting:

Itís always better when you can prepare, especially when youíre the backup because you never get any reps. To have the opportunity during the week to prepare will help. We understand we have a tough opponent coming in here Sunday night. We respect those guys. Theyíre going to come in here ready to play. Weíve got to make sure weíre ready to play and weíll see what happens.

Are practice and timing the keys to your success?

I donít know. Weíre just trying to score one more point than those guys. Thatís all that really matters. Weíre in that same process every week no matter who we play. Weíre just trying to win the football game and weíre going to do our best job to do that.

Do you expect this offense to be any different than when Ben Roethlisberger is running it?

No. It wonít be different. We came in. We saw the game plan. We might do things different, because letís just be honest, Iím not going to run around and make two or three guys miss, then roll all the way to the left and find Mike Wallace in the back of the endzone. Iím not capable of doing that. But what I can do is get the ball in the right guyís hands and just be myself. Theyíre not asking me to do anything but be myself and thatís what Iíll do.

Re: Suggestions that this offense doesnít play to your strengths like arm strength:

Honestly, arm strength really only comes into play when youíre throwing the ball down the field. If itís ďdink and dunk,Ē whatever we want to call it, my job is to hit the guy with the ball thatís open. I donít care if itís five yards down the field or 25 yards down the field. People are entitled to their opinion. I understand that in this situation nobody is probably giving us a shot and thatís understandable. Any time you lose a quarterback like Ben, letís be honest, I think he was playing on an MVP level. I think heís an elite quarterback in this league and heís down. We all understand that. We all understand everybodyís opinion and how they feel about the situation. But weíre going to have to play the game Sunday night and weíll see what happens. Thereís no need for me to think about what-ifs. The game is going to be Sunday night and somebody is going to win it. Iím just trying to do my part to make sure itís us.

Are they going to give you more deep passes down the field?

Weíll have to see.

How do you get good at making the right reads on plays like Roethlisberger has when you donít get reps and practice?

Because thatís what Iíve got to do. Iíve got to be able see 22 guys on the field at the same time and thatís what Iíve always been able to do my whole life, see the field and get the ball to the right guy. Theyíre not asking me to do anything special. I know this is a big game. Itís a big game for both teams but I donít have to go out there and try to do anything special. I just have to go out there and do my job and be myself. Is that good enough? Weíll have to see.

Will you spend extra time working on things in practice and will it be different for you?

Weíll do what we have to do. Practice will be different because this is the first time Iím throwing to Mike [Wallace] and Emmanuel [Sanders], so practice will be real different. But nobody has to do anything special. Itís still football. My job is still to get the ball to the open guys, read defenses, make the right decisions and thatís not going to change for any quarterback in this league. I donít care whoís playing. You have to do all those things from the quarterback position. Weíll see what happens on Sunday night.

Have you been in contact with Roethlisberger?

Yes. Ben was in meetings today. We talked a lot today. I talked to him on the phone the night of. I talked to him on Monday, I talked to him on Tuesday, I talked to him today and heís in a little pain. But weíre just talking football. Itís my job to do my part to help this football team out and from that point, we talk about football. We donít talk about the injury too much because Iíve been in those situations before and I know itís frustrating missing football games. But my job is to get ready and heís helping me in that process and weíll see what happens Sunday night.

Do you feel like a rookie again with excitement and anticipation?

No, I donít feel like Iím a rookie. [Laughs] Iím 32 years old. I wish I felt like a rookie but I was jokingly saying that because I joke with Ben all the time. I donít miss this part of playing quarterback in the National Football League. I tell him all the time I donít miss the conference calls, all the interviews and all the media. I tell him all the time. I donít really miss that part of it. Itís not a situation where I feel like a rookie, though. Iíve got eight cameras in front of me and that hasnít happened in a while.

Do you know how long you will be filling-in for Roethlisberger?

No, no I donít. Iíll be ready. Iíll take it on a week-to-week basis. I know Benís a tough guy. Iím not even going to think about that right now. All Iíve got on my mind is Sunday night.

Do you feel like having a long wind-up compromises your ability to get rid of the ball quickly in this offense?

No I donít. I normally defend myself in this process and defend myself by throwing out a bunch of numbers. But Iíll save that for the offseason. Iím throwing the ball the way Iíve thrown the ball my whole life. Iíve played 10 years in this league and to play this long in this league, theyíre not going to just let guys that canít play sit there. I donít think about none of that stuff. I donít think about, ďhis mobility,Ē or ďhis wind-up,Ē or ďhe canít do this, he canít do that.Ē I try to worry about the things I can do.

So youíve heard about that long release before?

I heard about that before I even became a pro. I heard about that when I was at Marshall. When you hear all the bad things about yourself, pretty much from the last college game to the draft you hear it all, so Iíve heard it all. Yeah, Iíve got the long wind-up. Iím not the fastest guy in the world, but I believe I can play a little bit. Weíll just see Sunday night. I donít have to put any pressure on myself to go out there and do something different, do something special. Iím just telling myself to just go out there and play the way that I play and weíll see if we can win the football game.

When you watched the tape of Monday nightís game, what were you happy with and what needs to change?

The first few plays, I felt like everybody was moving faster than me. [Laughs] Maybe that is because Iím slower than everybody but it was a situation when you arenít out there, letís just be honest, it takes a little time for it to get back. I was just glad that I was able to see the field the way I was able to, complete some balls on third downs when my number was called to convert some things. I just went out there and did my job. I sat there and looked at it and critiqued myself to try and make myself better for Sunday night.

Coach Mike Tomlin described every opponent as ďnameless,, grey faces.Ē Does that apply to Baltimore, especially when the Steelers are 0-4 against Baltimore without Roethlisberger?

Yeah, it is. He says that every week. That hasnít changed. Thatís what he believes in. Thatís what we believe in. Weíve tried not to make it about anybody else. We try to do our part and execute well. We feel as though if we go out there and execute well, we can have success against anybody and weíve just got to do what weíve got to do to make sure we can be successful Sunday night.

Did you ever try to throw it a different way or did anyone ever make a compelling case for you to change?

No, thatís the crazy thing. All the guys that have been around me, that have coached me, told me to throw the football the way I throw the football as long as I throw it the way Iím throwing it. Nobody has ever changed my motion. You have to think, Iím a guy from a high school that had one coach. I wasnít really fit in the pedigree. Iím a D.C. guy, an inner city guy who grew up with no coaches, just throwing rocks or anything I could pick up.

Did you go to any quarterback camps in high school?

No, I didnít do all that. I throw the way I throw. Thereís nothing I could do about it right now. There was nothing they told me to do about it when I was 23, 25, 27, 29. Yeah, Iíve got the long wind-up. You look at every guy around the league, we all do things differently. The key is can we go out there and get the job done? Thatís all Iím worried about.

Youíve had some success. Do you ever wonder why people donít do it your way?

[Laughs] No. I just do what I do. Let them say what theyíve got to say.

Is this a pretty good situation for you to step into?

Oh yeah. This isnít a bad situation to be in and thatís my point. We have a quarterback whoís been to the Super Bowl three times in nine years. That goes to tell you how good he is as a quarterback. Iím not going to go out there and try to be Ben. We see the game differently, in ways that heís physically able to do certain things I canít do. So, he sees it a little different. That doesnít mean I canít go out there and do my job. We understand that everybody is like, ďHey man, theyíve got a backup quarterback Sunday night playing the Baltimore Ravens.Ē We understand that nobody is really giving us a shot and thatís okay. Weíre not trying to say that to say itís us against the world. Itís just we understand guys have got jobs to do and they have opinions. But we try not to worry about those opinions. We try to worry about what we have to worry about to go out there and get ourselves ready.

Did you feel like you would be able to fit in Todd Haleyís offense when it was being installed?

I never cared about what kind of offense it was because football is football. Iíve been around enough offenses to know that Iíve had some of the same plays in every offense, no matter who is calling it. They just call it differently. I donít view it that way. I donít care what type of offense it is. The quarterbacks job is to execute the plays that are called, get the ball to the right guys, get the team in the right play, and thatís what Iíll try to do.

Does the offense seem like it is sluggish without WR Antonio Brown?

Thatís a special guy. Letís just be honest, when heís on the field itís special and defenses have to defend him. You have to defend Antonio Brown when heís on the football field. When you put him with Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, it makes it tough on defensive coordinators and defenses. Any time you miss a guy like that that is that exceptional, that special, it hurts. It hurts anybody, no matter whoís at quarterback. Weíll see.

You are 1-1 against Baltimore. Do you remember either game?

Yes, I do. I actually do. I remember playing Baltimore and we lost my rookie year. Then they came to Jacksonville and we got them.

Coming out of the draft, did you ever wonder what would happen if the Ravens had drafted you after they expressed so much interest in you?

I thought thatís where I would be. I remember conversations with Ozzie [Newsom] and thatís where I thought I would be. I think they thought thatís where I would be. Minnesota found out and it didnít turn out that way. With the Minnesota thing going down, I thought I would be the seventh pick to the Baltimore Ravens.

Were the Ravens a favorite team of yours?

No. With all the meetings that I had I knew where I would be drafted at. By the talks that you have with people before the draft, I knew I would be the seventh pick. I didnít know what team because I knew that seventh pick was going to get traded by Minnesota. I knew something would go down with that pick between Baltimore, Carolina and Jacksonville. It was Jacksonville who took me.

Re: Your fire, your competitiveness and people saying the Steelers donít have a chance:

It is what it is. I allow the experts to be experts. Iím not the type of guy that gets mad because somebody said something. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are going to say what they want to say, regardless of if they have information or details of information. Theyíre just going to say what they want. Thatís where weíre at now in 2012. I respect that part of it. Say what you want. It has nothing to do with how we play Sunday night. Iím getting too old to worry about those things. I try to worry about the things that matter and the things that matter are me executing and doing the right thing for this team.

Is there an advantage in the fact that you havenít played in a while and there isnít a lot of film on you in the past few seasons?

I think everybody knows what I am. Iím a pocket passer who throws the ball from the pocket like 60-70% of the rest of the guys. You donít have to be fast. I donít have to run around to play. In that case, we wouldnít call the Tom Bradys of the world elite, the Eli Mannings of the world. Iíve got to be faster than Eli. [Laughs] Guys are going to say things about you. Thatís part of playing in this league. Youíre going to get critiqued. The good and the bad, youíve got to be willing to accept it. Iím willing to accept that and Sunday weíll see. Weíve got to play the game Sunday night and itís going to come down to who makes the most plays Sunday night, regardless of what was said on Wednesday or what people believe. Hey man, weíre going to find out Sunday night.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/14/inside-the-locker-room-byron-leftwich/

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Starkey: Leftwich can handle it

By Joe Starkey
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=EeSWM fsRLsj2aWo0Yginb8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv0d$OscytzvBX r1ATG5dsTWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers back up quarterback Byron Leftwich plays against the Cheifs in the second half at Heinz Field Nov. 12, 2012

The purpose here is to offer a defense of Byron Leftwich, but Iíll let Marcus Gilbert go first.

Gilbert tweeted the following item Wednesday: ďWow amazing all the hatred towards Leftwich those people can kiss my (butt)! ó m.gilbertĒ

Thank you, Marcus.

Leftwich defended Leftwich, too. Pretty fervently. All I had to do was mention his windup. Panicked fans are wondering how Leftwich can execute Todd Haleyís quick-pass offense (I didnít say dink-and-dunk) with a windup longer than ďLord of the Rings III.Ē

Leftwich has been hearing about the windup since his college days. Does he buy the idea that it compromises his ability to get rid of the ball quickly?

ďNo. I donít,Ē he said. ďI normally defend myself and say a whole bunch of numbers (when the topic arises), but Iíll save that for the offseason.Ē

Actually, he saved it for the very next sentence.

ďHey, man, Iíve thrown the ball the way Iíve thrown the ball my whole entire life. Iíve played 10 years in this league, and to play this long, they donít just let guys that canít play sit there. I donít think about Ďhis mobility, his windup, he canít do this, he canít do that.í I try to worry about the things I can do.Ē

The things he can do should suffice when the Steelers face the Baltimore Ravens without Ben Roethlisberger, though itís hard to predict how an athlete will react after spending the better part of three years in mothballs.

Leftwich isnít ancient. Heís 32. His game is no mystery, either. Heís a pocket passer. A fastball pitcher. He can make all the throws, including simple ones to Heath Miller without using a full windup (he can pitch from the stretch). He is smart. He is competitive. And maybe most importantly ó in the role of backup ó he has a keen sense of his weaknesses.

ďYeah, I have a long windup,Ē Leftwich said. ďIím not the fastest guy in the world. But I believe I can play a little bit. Weíll just see Sunday night.Ē

Listening to reaction around town, youíd think the Steelers were turning to Brady Quinn or Dennis Dixon.

People are quick to tell you Leftwich has lost six straight starts with three different teams. Theyíll mention he has started one game in 30 months and has never started for the Steelers, despite seemingly being on their roster since 1987.

Theyíll remind you that he moves slower than the Mario Lemieux statue. And the windup. Did I mention the windup?

Iím not saying Leftwich is Kurt Warner. There are reasons he isnít a starter anymore.

But my sense is that the Steelers are in steady hands.

Remember Dixonís starts against the Ravens and the Falcons? He lost one via interception and easily could have lost the Atlanta game had Falcons defenders not had a bad case of butter fingers.

Combine all of Leftwichís appearances in a Steelers uniform ó preseason and regular season ó and these are the pertinent numbers: 126 attempts, 10 touchdowns, no interceptions, 107.2 passer rating.

Whatís it mean?

At the least, itís a strong indication that Leftwich will heed the No. 1 rule for a No. 2 quarterback: Donít lose the game.

The rampant criticism of Leftwichís performance Monday was ridiculous. He did no worse than the other two quarterbacks (Matt Cassel, Roethlisberger) who played that night.

After missing on his first three attempts, Leftwich completed 7 of 11 passes. He had two dropped. He also took a huge hit in delivering a pass that was close enough for Emmanuel Sanders to draw an interference call.

Leftwich wasnít the quarterback who made the game-losing mistake. Cassel was. Give him a week of reps, and he has a chance to be a little better against the 26th-ranked Ravens defense. And even if Antonio Brown is out again, the Steelers arenít exactly the 3-13 Buccaneers of 2009 ó the last team for which Leftwich started.

ďIt gives me comfort, understanding who Iím going out there with,Ē he said. ďThis ainít the Bad News Bears.Ē

Bad news? The Steelers are enduring their share.

But they could do a whole lot worse than Byron Leftwich behind center.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/2950085-74/leftwich-windup-steelers-game-bad-ball-gilbert-lost-mention-ravens#ixzz2CJuDZYSR

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Here is the only stat that matters to WINNING organizations:
6:1

Oh... you are averring that we should only could Lombardis since 1996...
2:1

Better yet, how about we count Lombardis in even more recent times, lets say the last ten years:
2:0

Applauding regular season wins are for Colts fans ("We may have lost in the opening round of the play-offs, but, Yee-ha!!!.. we went 13-3!!!") AND for Taperiot fans ("We ate humble pie, we went undefeated in the regular season, and we lost the championship... but, but, but... we were 18-0 at one point... hey... look at us... hey!!!... 18-1...").

So... uh... yeah!!!... 7-2!!!

You just failed the critical thinking portion of this exam. I said that 7-2 is the only stat that matters in connection with this game. That was a response to the fact that we are ranked 26th on defense. I wasn't applauding anything.

The implication was that 26th on defense or not, we are providing enough support so that our offense gets more than our opponent, most times. Sorry you missed that, and thought I was comparing 7 regular season wins to 6 superbowl wins. I think the overreaction comes from the sad fact that without BB your chances of winning have dipped severely.

BleedPurple
11-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Man you guys are just really mad this week. Calm down, you haven't lost yet. To answer all of your posts at once, yea, I hope that in 80 years the franchise that I love has established a history that is as successful and dignified as your own, and we don't have that yet. I have a lot of respect for the Steelers, but none of that has anything to do with Sunday night.

I know that you all have a hard time keeping things in the present, but to get back to the topic (Leftwich will start) in my opinion despite having the 26th defense we will take the W, 23-21 Ravens.

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
lefty gonna kick some ass

5 wide over the top, bitches

WVABE
11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Steelers 17 Ravens 16

The score won't show our dominating game,
penalties & a couple INT's slow down this offence.

Rotorhead
11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I have confidence in Lefty, like I said before, I think this will be a close game and whoever makes the least mistakes will take it. Fortunately the next one will more important to whomever loses this one, so I am hoping for a win, then Lefty can have another game under his belt before we meet up again so we can have some continuity. Honestly this game is not as important (at this stage as Balty has a tougher schedule from here on out) for Balty as it is for us. They do have a 1 game adv so a split still leaves them 1 up on us. Either way, both should be in the playoffs and probably a third meeting for everything.

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
27-10 Steelers

lefty will kick ass

you watch

Mendy will gouge them for 150+

yea verily

teegre
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
You just failed the critical thinking portion of this exam. I said that 7-2 is the only stat that matters in connection with this game. That was a response to the fact that we are ranked 26th on defense. I wasn't applauding anything.

The implication was that 26th on defense or not, we are providing enough support so that our offense gets more than our opponent, most times. Sorry you missed that, and thought I was comparing 7 regular season wins to 6 superbowl wins. I think the overreaction comes from the sad fact that without BB your chances of winning have dipped severely.

Oh... now that you ADDED that bolded portion, it all makes sense.

So... uh... again... yeah!!! ...7-2!!!

Q: What does a 7-2 record have to do with the outcome of this upcoming game???

A: NOTHING

The Taperiots were 18-0... and lost the SuperBowl. The Packers were 15-1... and lost in the play-offs last year. Prior wins have nothing to do with future games. Make sense?

Yeah... 7-2!!!

BlaZeQuietly
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Now accepting the fact ben will be gone for a long time and possibly the remainder of the season we face the prospect of succeeding with out an elite quarterback, kind of like the 49ers. Leftwich really isn't that bad. Were we better with Ben? yes. Probably the hottest team in the NFL. Are we still really Fing good? Yes, We came back and beat the chiefs with out Ben and I'm sure we will do just fine. I think it would be nice if we can get to the playoffs and then get Ben back though.

Stangboy06
11-15-2012, 10:31 PM
If they protect #4 the steelers will win sundaynight

Millers the sh!t
11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
C'mon defense, cmon running game..... We just need him to manage the game. No turn overs, just pick up the third and shorts, and throw a few decent mid range passes here and there.

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Steelers to play to Leftwich’s strengths

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

There’s probably not a quarterback better equipped to run Todd Haley’s “dink-and-dunk” offense than Charlie Batch.

So when Ben Roethlisberger went down with a shoulder/rib injury, forcing him out of the lineup for the foreseeable future, including Sunday night’s game against Baltimore, it created a buzz that the 37-year-old Batch should leapfrog the strong-armed Byron Leftwich and become the starter in Haley’s short-passing attack.

That would merit consideration if there was, in fact, a “Haley” offense.

Haley reiterated Thursday that his is not a scheme-oriented offense; he instead plays to the strengths of his personnel.

Haley showed that as a coordinator in Arizona and as head coach in Kansas City. Now he will have a chance to will prepare a game plan around Leftwich, who hasn’t started a game in more than three years.

Translation: The dink-and-dunk will be scaled back for at least a couple weeks.

“When I say it is not a system, it is not a system,” Haley said. “It is the way I’ve been brought up to coach, and the way you maximize the players you have is you better play to their strengths. So when Byron is in there, we’re going to do our best to cater to his strengths.”

A day earlier, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin downplayed any drastic changes with the game plan, calling the changes subtle.

“It isn’t anything that is complex,” Tomlin said.

There will be changes with Leftwich in the starting lineup, and it’s logical to believe one of those changes would involve taking more shots downfield.

Nearly 60 percent of Roethlisberger’s attempts this year have been thrown for fewer than 10 yards down the field — nearly 10 percent less than a year ago.

That style would seem to play better to Batch’s strengths than Leftwich’s, but the coaching staff never hesitated in naming Leftwich as Roethlisberger’s replacement.

“You’re always disappointed that way. Any time you hope to have a chance to play, you want to be that guy,” Batch said. “Unfortunately for me right now, I’m not.”

Batch has been inactive for all nine games this year.

“But now I do have an opportunity to dress, and that means it’s a lot better than being the third quarterback, being inactive, not dressed because (then) you have no chance of going into the game,” Batch said.

Batch has proved more recently than Leftwich that’s he is able to play winning football on short notice. Batch is 5-2 filling in for Roethlisberger since 2005. Leftwich has never started a game for the Steelers but relieved Roethlisberger in 2008 and defeated Washington.

Unlike those games, the coaching staff has a full week to prepare a game plan specific to Leftwich’s strengths.

“We’re going to do our best to cater to Byron’s strengths as opposed to trying to force square pegs into round holes,” Haley said. “He can’t go out there trying to be Ben. He needs to go out there and be Byron.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2965182-85/leftwich-batch-haley-game-strengths-roethlisberger-byron-changes-chance-coach#ixzz2CMIxgIhg

BlaZeQuietly
11-16-2012, 01:02 AM
is brown playing?

steelfury02
11-16-2012, 01:06 AM
good question - steelers.com report sounded a little more optimistic than it had in the past few days - still questionable though, correct?

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 01:07 AM
is brown playing?

I don't think so.

SteelersCanada
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
It's great that there's a general trust and respect for Byron in here. Sure, there's a couple guys worried about what he can do and it's warranted, but the Steelers seem to have respect for him and think he can do this. If teams weren't worried about his wind-up, he would have been a starter in the NFL and quite possibly could be one right now.

I'd love for someone to point me to a team that has a better second string quarterback right now. It's ok, I'll wait.

stb_steeler
11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
It's great that there's a general trust and respect for Byron in here. Sure, there's a couple guys worried about what he can do and it's warranted, but the Steelers seem to have respect for him and think he can do this. If teams weren't worried about his wind-up, he would have been a starter in the NFL and quite possibly could be one right now.

I'd love for someone to point me to a team that has a better second string quarterback right now. It's ok, I'll wait.

Well most of the talkin heads on TNF picked Byron to be their back up out of 9ers, eagles, bears or steelers. I can agree with them on this!

SteelersCanada
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Well most of the talkin heads on TNF picked Byron to be their back up out of 9ers, eagles, bears or steelers. I can agree with them on this!

They usually say smart things, it's just Warren Sapp that opens his mouth for a reaction. I mean, in this case the only quarterback you could make an argument to start over Byron (and it'd be a weak argument) is Campbell.

stb_steeler
11-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Bad word........SAPP :mad:

stb_steeler
11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Sapps a space filler on the show.....
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii587/dumschat/e9e332f410e77503f396efec9e2f4f4a_large_zpsf29e4a8c .gif

teegre
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM

The only ones who even come close would be

Kyle Orton... eh.

Matt Moore... hmmm...

TJ. Yates played well last year.

Matt Hasselbeck is pretty good.

SUMMATION:
I'll stick with Byron.

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Todd Haley speaks wisdom, not cliches, when speaking of Byron Leftwich

By Neal Coolong on Nov 16
Jared Wickerham

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3377181/gyi0062060346.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The bit about the standard being the standard isn't applicable in every situation. Come Sunday, the standard of quarterback play isn't going to be the same as when Ben Roethlisberger is playing. But that's not a bad thing, either.

Playing in shadows isn't easy. Playing in the shadow of Ben Roethlisberger has to be extraordinarily difficult.

What happens when you don't play in that shadow?

The easy storyline here is Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich will fill Big Ben's big shadow in their huge Week 11 game against division-leading Baltimore Sunday.

The reality is the Baltimore Ravens have not seen a duplicated copy of Roethlisberger coming out of the Steelers' offensive huddle. They have not seen how this offense plays with Leftwich - and not Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch - under center.

And while the Steelers have lost the last four games against the Ravens with someone other than Roethlisberger under center, the last two - in 2009 and 2010 - were games decided by one field goal each.

It's not as if that shadow hasn't been cast aside before, and the Steelers answered the bell. Ravens fans (and even the snotty editor of their team web site) are pretty happy with themselves, and convinced of the Steelers' demise.

That theory holds well, assuming Leftwich tries to be Roethlisberger. He's not. His offensive coordinator doesn't want him to be. He's been dubbed by Doug Gottleib and Ephraim Salaam as "the least athletic black quarterback in NFL history."

That's quite the adjustment for a defense to make, particularly since there's barely any film on Leftwich to digest. They have 14 pass plays, and 32 total plays to break down.

The Steelers hold the element of surprise in this game. They also have one of the game's best tight ends, deep threats and outstanding depth at the receiver position.

Not to take anything away from Ben Roethlisberger, but stick Haley in a lab for a few days with the idea of coming up with something both workable by his offense and unexpected by a defense, chances are good whatever that is will work. Not to mention, this is the Steelers' 80th season anniversary game, one that will be viewed by scores of former players in a heavily charged atmosphere at Heinz Field.

Some may remember the last time the Ravens came to Heinz Field, played against the Steelers who were wearing their throwback jerseys in a celebration gala-game.

The Steelers may have better chances of winning games with Ben Roethlisberger under center, but Byron Leftwich doesn't need Roethlisberger's shadow to be successful against Baltimore.

And who knows? Maybe he just will go out and put up an amazing performance.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/16/3654132/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-injury-byron-leftwich-starting-ravens-week-11-nfl

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Is anyone else surprised they haven't signed another QB yet? I would think Troy Smith would be the favorite if they do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Got to go with the best you have on the roster. Troy Smith wasnt even a camp arm this year. I'm hoping the O line can assert itself in the run game and take some of the pressure off Byron.

I say we lose by 7 points, but hope we win by 20.

Edman
11-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Now accepting the fact ben will be gone for a long time and possibly the remainder of the season we face the prospect of succeeding with out an elite quarterback, kind of like the 49ers. Leftwich really isn't that bad. Were we better with Ben? yes. Probably the hottest team in the NFL. Are we still really Fing good? Yes, We came back and beat the chiefs with out Ben and I'm sure we will do just fine. I think it would be nice if we can get to the playoffs and then get Ben back though.

Ben will be back in around 3-4 weeks. He's not going anywhere this year.

Lady Steel
11-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm not a big Leftwich fan, but it's not him I'm worried about. I'm worried about whether or not Mike Wallace will catch any of Lefty's passes. He drives me nuts!

desertsteel
11-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Here's my line for Leftwich:

22 of 34 for 261 yards, 2 TD and 1 INT.... And 1 great big W :D