PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Make Transactions

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
The Steelers made a number of roster moves today that included promoting linebacker Marshall McFadden to the active roster from the teamís practice squad. McFadden will wear No. 40.

McFadden spent the first 10 weeks of the 2012 season on the teamís practice squad. He originally was signed to the teamís offseason roster on January 18, 2012.

To make room for McFadden on the active roster, the Steelers placed linebacker Chris Carter on the teamís Reserve/Injured List with an abdominal injury. Carter saw action in eight games this season, making his first three career starts.

The Steelers also signed tight end Jamie McCoy to the teamís practice squad. McCoy will wear No. 80.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Make-Transactions/f4292497-d0d5-4126-977d-e9b628d52575

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome aboard !

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/scnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/fb/bfbec4a8-6a9c-54ec-9806-f7d433bc5786/5088319ea0f66.preview-300.jpg
MARSHALL MCFADDEN

Marshall McFadden will get his shot to make an NFL squad.

The former Lamar and S.C. State standout signed a futures/reserve contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. A futures/reserves contract is for players, who didn’t play in the NFL this year and means they can participate in all the offseason meetings and workouts.

McFadden, 6-foot-2, 237 pounds, had a workout for the Steelers last month but wasn’t signed to the practice squad. After the workout, he returned to Charlotte, N.C., where he has been training before he got the call he had been signed.

“I was kind of down because of the talent and ability that I have but I just hadn’t had the opportunity,” McFadden said. “But I have just kept my head up and kept working. I felt once I got the opportunity I would be able show my abilities and I felt good after I worked out for them.”

McFadden, an inside linebacker, was a four year starter for the Bulldogs and had 47 tackles and two sacks as a senior in 2010. He missed the entire 2009 season after getting hurt in preseason practice.

As a junior, he has 88 tackles and led the team with 11 tackles for loss.

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_873a7c0b-fa4d-5012-a546-3fee64dd8786.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
I'll take just about anybody at this point with some aggression and willingness to take on an OG in run defense. Larry Foote looks like he is just collecting a paychek and trying not to get hurt.

Lokki
11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I'll take just about anybody at this point with some aggression and willingness to take on an OG in run defense. Larry Foote looks like he is just collecting a paychek and trying not to get hurt.

Didn't Gruden say that Foote was the star of our Defense? Yeah, I chuckled too.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Didn't Gruden say that Foote was the star of our Defense? Yeah, I chuckled too.

When I heard this I thought he was being sarcastic at first, then I remembered that Gruden doesn't ever say anything badly about anyone in the NFL - ever. Everyone should be playing in the Pro Bowl and they're all All-Americans.

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Why the hate for Foote? He's not a "Strong" backer, but he gets to the QB and around lineman quicker than any linebacker we have AND leads the defense in tackles.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Why the hate for Foote? He's not a "Strong" backer, but he gets to the QB and around lineman quicker than any linebacker we have AND leads the defense in tackles.

Foote is only able to get to the QB quickly because Timmons isn't being used effectively. Sure, Foote is playing decently right now, but if Timmons had a younger and quicker LB to play inside with he'd be unstoppable.

He's only effective because Timmons and Woodley are getting all the attention.

edit - I like McFadden and I think he has a high ceiling. I was a little upset when he wasn't signed to the 53 originally, but I guess better late than never.

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Foote is only able to get to the QB quickly because Timmons isn't being used effectively. Sure, Foote is playing decently right now, but if Timmons had a younger and quicker LB to play inside with he'd be unstoppable.

He's only effective because Timmons and Woodley are getting all the attention.

edit - I like McFadden and I think he has a high ceiling. I was a little upset when he wasn't signed to the 53 originally, but I guess better late than never.

Those are excuses. It doesn't matter HOW he's getting the job done. He's getting it done. Woodley and Timmons are both paid significantly more than Foote, and he's outperforming them both. Foote won't be around forever, just like Farrior, but he IS doing his job, and If it ain't broke don't fix it.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Those are excuses. It doesn't matter HOW he's getting the job done. He's getting it done. Woodley and Timmons are both paid significantly more than Foote, and he's outperforming them both. Foote won't be around forever, just like Farrior, but he IS doing his job, and If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm not saying he's playing poorly. In fact, he's probably playing as one of the top 5 members of this defense right now, but we'll have to agree to disagree on him outplaying Timmons. :drink:

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not saying he's playing poorly. In fact, he's probably playing as one of the top 5 members of this defense right now, but we'll have to agree to disagree on him outplaying Timmons. :drink:

but when you consider what Foote is getting paid compared to what Timmons is receiving I would say we're getting a much better value with Larry Foote than we are with Lawrence Timmons.

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 03:58 PM

No, no. Didn't say he was outplaying Timmons, but his stats SAY he is. I'm just trying to give the guy some credit.

Lokki
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't hate Foote. I just thought it was funny the way Gruden was talking about him. It was like he was talking about JJ Watt instead of Larry Foote.

Bayz101
11-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't hate Foote. I just thought it was funny the way Gruden was talking about him. It was like he was talking about JJ Watt instead of Larry Foote.

He's doing excellent for his age. Gruden was definitely talking him up though. :chuckle:

Steelersfan87
11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
What's with all this discussion about Foote? McFadden is the 9th LB on the chart, the 5th ILB and the 5th OLB. He might not even get a helmet, and if he does, it will only be on special teams.

desertsteel
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
When I heard this I thought he was being sarcastic at first, then I remembered that Gruden doesn't ever say anything badly about anyone in the NFL - ever. Everyone should be playing in the Pro Bowl and they're all All-Americans.

^^^ This

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
back to the topic

South Carolina State??

who ever heard of such a place?

I bet they have tin roof pool hall bars back there

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 05:36 PM

I have actually been pleasantly surprised by Larry Foote's play this season.

Millers the sh!t
11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Why are people dogging on foote? He's been one of the few players who's actually been coming to play football since week one. I like foote. He's made more than a few plays for us this season, and many more in the past.

Off topic, but Casey Hampton seems likes he's starting to come alive a bit, over the past few weeks.

Let's go DEFENSE!

Fire Haley
11-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Casey is HONGRY....he's ready to eat some twinkie ratbirds....

get some

cubanstogie
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
I have actually been pleasantly surprised by Larry Foote's play this season.

he has definitely outperformed my expectations. It seems like just about everyone except Timmons being picked apart on the D by people on this forum. I was irritated with Ike and all his penalties early, but the last 4 games the D has been money. Especially since Polamalu out and Harrison has been a non factor as of yet.

harrison'samonster
11-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I can't be happier with the way Foote has played this season. He's never been a pro-bowl player, so why I don't see why everybody is so down on him.

TRH
11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Is this thread about Larry Foote? It's been hijacked. ENOUGH about Larry Foote.

Lets talk about our new LB signing and what he may or may not be able to do.

lardlad
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Seems there's more opinions about Foote rather than the new guy.

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 08:22 PM
The Steelers also signed tight end Jamie McCoy to the teamís practice squad. McCoy will wear No. 80.

how many times has Jamie McCoy been on and off our practice squad now and what do the Steelers see in him? :noidea:

Steelersfan87
11-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, this is his third time on it this year alone...pretty sure he was cut and re-signed at least once last season. I think that he's actually technically the backup h-back/fullback as much as he is a tight end.

Regarding what McFadden can do, he needs to earn a helmet on gameday first. If he does play, then he needs to make tackles on special teams, or at least not screw up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM

So you are saying that Foote is the best player on the Steelers defense??

Show me some cases where Foote gets around linemen instead of getting a free shot due to a blitz design. Show me where Foote stands up the OG at the point of attack instead of getting driven 7-10 yards downfield like he did against KC, Giants, Bengals.

Larry Foote is a 10 or 11 year vet that was serviceable, but now has lost speed, strength and the effort to prove that he belongs in the starting lineup. He is like a 64 year old union worker playing out the year until he can collect his pension.

Give me Sean Spence NOW, please somebody go back in a DeLorean and prevent his preseason injury.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Give me Sean Spence NOW, please somebody go back in a DeLorean and prevent his preseason injury.

Do you think Spence is the answer for us at MLB? I know he hasn't taken a meaningful snap in the NFL so dogging on him would be ridiculous, but when he played at Miami I wasn't that high on him. I was actually wondering why everyone seemed to be in love with this kid.

I guess I'll hold judgment on him until he plays his first NFL game. I just don't know if he's the answer at MLB, especially with guys like Nico Johnson, CJ Mosley and Arthur Brown available in this draft. If we're able to snag one - or more than one - of these guys, they've shown more potential and upside than Spence has. Anyway, this isn't a Sean Spence thread.

Guys were asking about McFadden and I honestly think he's pretty good. I know guys on here take preseason snaps with a grain of salt, and right fully so, but McFadden looked like he could produce. He didn't miss tackles and he made a couple behind the line that showed he has some good instincts and burst ability.

All that being said, he's just there as an extra body. I'd like for him to get special team reps, though, as his ability to tackle is something we're missing right now on special teams. Letting them start at the 25+ consistently is a little ridiculous.

tony hipchest
11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Give me Sean Spence NOW, please somebody go back in a DeLorean and prevent his preseason injury.:applaudit: as strong as ramon foster has been playing, i would say the injury to spence was more significant than that of decastro.

other than maybe due to trades, i cant think of any other team that has seen 3 of its top 4 pick's seasons pissed down the tubes like ours.

i didnt think spence would win defensive rookie of the year, but i felt he would be the rookie to have the biggest impact in his innaugural season, since kendrell bell.

tony hipchest
11-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Do you think Spence is the answer for us at MLB? ... when he played at Miami I wasn't that high on him.

Guys were asking about McFadden and I honestly think he's pretty good.

so you werent that "high" on spence, but you think mcfadden is "pretty good"?

got it!

hunnerds of team and agency scouting reps better get their shit together after missing the boat on this one.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 11:14 PM
so you werent that "high" on spence, but you think mcfadden is "pretty good"?

got it!

hunnerds of team and agency scouting reps better get their shit together after missing the boat on this one.

Let me ask you this: did Spence do anything in the preseason that is making you miss him right now, or are you basing this need off his potential? I don't remember him making a single stand out play in any of the games he got snaps, ignoring the game against the Panthers where he got hurt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Do you think Spence is the answer for us at MLB? I know he hasn't taken a meaningful snap in the NFL so dogging on him would be ridiculous, but when he played at Miami I wasn't that high on him. I was actually wondering why everyone seemed to be in love with this kid.

I guess I'll hold judgment on him until he plays his first NFL game. I just don't know if he's the answer at MLB, especially with guys like Nico Johnson, CJ Mosley and Arthur Brown available in this draft. If we're able to snag one - or more than one - of these guys, they've shown more potential and upside than Spence has. Anyway, this isn't a Sean Spence thread.

Guys were asking about McFadden and I honestly think he's pretty good. I know guys on here take preseason snaps with a grain of salt, and right fully so, but McFadden looked like he could produce. He didn't miss tackles and he made a couple behind the line that showed he has some good instincts and burst ability.

All that being said, he's just there as an extra body. I'd like for him to get special team reps, though, as his ability to tackle is something we're missing right now on special teams. Letting them start at the 25+ consistently is a little ridiculous.

First of all, the steelers dont have a MLB, they have 2 ILB's. I think that Timmons moves over to strongside ILB and Spence will play the weakside backer when healthy.

Foote, IMO is mediocre at best in this point of his career. Accepting mediocrity is admitting defeat. Leave the acceptance of mediocrity to Bengals fans.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2012, 11:20 PM
:applaudit: as strong as ramon foster has been playing, i would say the injury to spence was more significant than that of decastro.

other than maybe due to trades, i cant think of any other team that has seen 3 of its top 4 pick's seasons pissed down the tubes like ours.

i didnt think spence would win defensive rookie of the year, but i felt he would be the rookie to have the biggest impact in his innaugural season, since kendrell bell.

I dont think that Spence would have been that impactful, but we will never know. Just as Will Allen replaced Mundy in the Secondary, I think that Spence could have been an option that Keith Butler explored by mid season when he saw Larry foote getting put on skates by O linemen.

At the very least Spence would have been a hungry kid that pushed Foote to be better or move aside and let somebody play with the intensity that Foote now lacks.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
First of all, the steelers dont have a MLB, they have 2 ILB's. I think that Timmons moves over to strongside ILB and Spence will play the weakside backer when healthy.

Foote, IMO is mediocre at best in this point of his career. Accepting mediocrity is admitting defeat. Leave the acceptance of mediocrity to Bengals fans.

Again, I'm not going to criticize a kid that hasn't had any legitimate snaps in the NFL. I will say, though, if we have an opportunity to upgrade at ILB with a high draft pick we should absolutely do it.

edit - I realize the way I said that was confusing. It's late, cut me some slack. Plain and simple, if the Steelers are in a position to draft the right guy - should he fall to them in the first or second round - they absolutely have to pull the trigger.

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Again, I'm not going to criticize a kid that hasn't had any legitimate snaps in the NFL. I will say, though, if we have an opportunity to upgrade at ILB with a high draft pick we should absolutely do it.

edit - I realize the way I said that was confusing. It's late, cut me some slack. Plain and simple, if the Steelers are in a position to draft the right guy - should he fall to them in the first or second round - they absolutely have to pull the trigger.

I agree with you, there are going to be some very good ILB prospects in this draft and I'm sure if there's one available that the Steelers like in the first 3 rounds we won't hesitate to upgrade the position.

ILBers Manti Te'o, C J Mosley, Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, Shayne Skov, Michael Mauti, Arthur Brown, Kevin Reddick and Nico Johnson would all look really good in Black & Gold...:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 10:04 AM

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on the best pass rushing OLB they can find. (Harrison is beat up, Worilds and Carter are not a #1 guy)

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on a Safety prospect that is better than Will Allen or Ryan Mundy. Clark and Polamalu dont have much longer to play in the NFL.

I think they SHOULD HAVE kept Kraig Urbik and SHOULD Have drafted an ILB instead of Jason Worilds. I think Sean Lee, Pat Angerer and Brandon Spikes were all there at the time. The more we waste top picks, the more has to be made up in years after.

SteelersCanada
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on the best pass rushing OLB they can find. (Harrison is beat up, Worilds and Carter are not a #1 guy)

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on a Safety prospect that is better than Will Allen or Ryan Mundy. Clark and Polamalu dont have much longer to play in the NFL.

I completely agree with you. That's why in this draft I was so high on guys like Dion Jordan and Alex Okafor, but they're preforming so well that I very much doubt they'll be on the board when we pick unless a complete and utter meltdown of this team happens.

I'm also 100% with you on a safety prospect, maybe even a couple. That's why I'm looking at the Steelers and thinking we could draft guys like CJ Mosley, Nico Johnson and Bacarri Rambo in the first three rounds and it would legitimately give the Steelers the number one defense in the NFL again - with three rookies. We're not far off from being truly dominate again, just need a couple pieces and I think these guys would fit the bill. This would also eliminate a lot of our current cap issues by getting rid of guys like Harrison, Mundy, Foote and Carter. Shedding these guys and making our line look like ...

Mosley / ROLB - Johnson + Timmons / ILB - Woodley / LOLB

... is the best LB core in the NFL. Putting Rambo behind Clark and Troy for a year and act as a sponge would be best case scenario. These are the kind of transactions I'd love to see! :tt04:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I see Cory Lemonier from Auburn being the heir to Harrison's spot. Arthur Brown is another intriguing fit, but if the Steelers think that Timmons and Spence are the future of the ILB spots, then not sure if a premium pick on an ILB is warranted.

Eric Reid, Robert Lester and Rambo still interest me. Many scouts are dropping grades on Reid and Lester, but I think one of them would help out.

JWashington
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
back to the topic

South Carolina State??

who ever heard of such a place?

I bet they have tin roof pool hall bars back there

Ever heard of Harry Carson, Donny Shell, Robert Porcher?? It's a pretty good school, Div 1-AA. They've had a good football program for a longtime. While stationed at Dover AFB, I got to see them play Deleware State a couple of times. I wouldn't doubt the kid based on where he played. No one ever thought we'd start a RB out of Bowie State