PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
This guy has emerged as a defensive leader. He is playing lights out. Anyone else feel like he has been a key to Steeler D?

MDSteel15
11-16-2012, 01:29 PM
He always has been a leader but not a boisterous!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
You guys should watch some games over again. Foote is almost always overpowered by other teams guards and pushed back on inside running plays.

Attached is some analysis of how Foote doesnt scrape well to the RB on stretch plays vs KC

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/15/3649780/steelers-gifs-play-breakdown-week-10-chiefs-week-11-baltimore-ravens-run-defense

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 02:35 PM
You guys should watch some games over again. Foote is almost always overpowered by other teams guards and pushed back on inside running plays.

Attached is some analysis of how Foote doesnt scrape well to the RB on stretch plays vs KC

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/15/3649780/steelers-gifs-play-breakdown-week-10-chiefs-week-11-baltimore-ravens-run-defense

He leads the team with 45 solo tackles. He is tied for the team lead with three sacks. He has one of the teamís four interceptions. He leads the team in forced fumbles (two) and fumble recoveries (two). Granted the turnover numbers should be better, but that is true of the whole D. I see him doing a great job getting to the ball. I guess you can fault find if you want, I think the guy is doing an admirable job. He is the top tackler on the league's number one ranked D.

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1301957/steelers32.gif

i'd blame this one on woodley. he should have inside containment. if he penetrates further into the backfield instead of trying to hold his ground, he forces charles inside , #26 drops him for a loss.

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
the KC Chiefs have a very good rushing attack, currently ranked 7th in the NFL averaging 149 yds/game and we held them to below their average.

it's Matt Cassel who sucks, not Jamaal Charles and Peyton Hillis.

Steelersfan87
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Foote hasn't been playing as well as a lot of people think he has, in all honesty, but I have a bigger problem with his coverage against the pass in the last few weeks than in shedding blockers against the run. Martellus Bennett beat him good a few times the other week.

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM

i'd blame this one on woodley. he should have inside containment. if he penetrates further into the backfield instead of trying to hold his ground, he forces charles inside , #26 drops him for a loss.

Are you kidding me? Foote is filling the hole on that play. Get real.:sofunny:

Hawaii 5-0
11-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Foote hasn't been playing as well as a lot of people think he has, in all honesty, but I have a bigger problem with his coverage against the pass in the last few weeks than in shedding blockers against the run. Martellus Bennett beat him good a few times the other week.

the Steelers knew Larry Foote was weak and slow in pass coverage, that's one of the reasons we drafted Sean Spence in the 3rd round.

Rotorhead
11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Look, now that TEs are just freakish large rvcrs, Foote is a liability in coverage. That is why we have Spence. He was supposed to learn the position and we would hopefully start him next season which would let Timmons further increase his presence in the backfield as Spence is faster for coverage. Unfortunately Spence was hurt, so pray for a full recovery. I think Foote was just a 1-2 season stopgap. He is fine for the NFL 5 yrs ago but LBs are required to be DBs now, and its not Footes forte. Cut him some slack as I believe the brass thought Spence would be more on passing downs spelling Foote. As much crap as Lebeau gets, he is obviously adjusting his Def to the new NFL (as shown by our pass def ranking this and last year). We have a bright future, No rebuilding for us!

desertsteel
11-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Agree

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 05:15 PM
He leads the team with 45 solo tackles. He is tied for the team lead with three sacks. He has one of the teamís four interceptions. He leads the team in forced fumbles (two) and fumble recoveries (two). Granted the turnover numbers should be better, but that is true of the whole D. I see him doing a great job getting to the ball. I guess you can fault find if you want, I think the guy is doing an admirable job. He is the top tackler on the league's number one ranked D.

Instead of watching the Stat Sheet, you should watch Foote play in the games.

He isnt even our best ILB on the field. He was honestly the 4th best ILB on the field vs the Chiefs. Please dont hate me for watching the actual play on the field, instead of listening to how Gruden was pumping up Foote.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Timmons blitzed the A gap. Its Foote's responsibility to make the tackle on that play and he dipped into the gap and lost outside leverage. So I guess if he "fills the hole" by your assertion he did his job and let the run go big.

Like MOP said, Woodley needs to set the edge and turn that play inside, but that is only one instance where Foote doesnt do well in traffic.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1301951/steelers31.gif

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Timmons blitzed the A gap. Its Foote's responsibility to make the tackle on that play and he dipped into the gap and lost outside leverage. So I guess if he "fills the hole" by your assertion he did his job and let the run go big.

Like MOP said, Woodley needs to set the edge and turn that play inside, but that is only one instance where Foote doesnt do well in traffic.

smh

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Instead of watching the Stat Sheet, you should watch Foote play in the games.

He isnt even our best ILB on the field. He was honestly the 4th best ILB on the field vs the Chiefs. Please dont hate me for watching the actual play on the field, instead of listening to how Gruden was pumping up Foote.

I do both...and both bear out my opinion. You are entitled to yours...you're just wrong.

Bayz101
11-16-2012, 05:50 PM
He has the most tackles, some sacks, some interceptions and some game-changing plays under his belt, all at the age 32. Say what you want about him, but a few mistakes aren't going to change my outlook on his play. He's doing a great job. Everyone makes mistakes.

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 05:50 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1301951/steelers31.gif

You're hilarious....you are trying to make the argument with exact opposite claims.

teegre
11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
He has the most tackles, some sacks, some interceptions and some game-changing plays under his belt, all at the age 32. Say what you want about him, but a few mistakes aren't going to change my outlook on his play. He's doing a great job. Everyone makes mistakes.

I agree with you.

Is Foote having a "2004 James Farrior" type of season? NO.

Is Foote having a "2009 Lawrence Timmons" type of season? NO.

Is he playing pretty well for a guy who is 32 and filling in at a position that has been ignored in the recent drafts? YES.

I think that people are jumping on Foote, when he is not only the best option, he is the only option on the roster. There is not really a young "awesome" talented ILB that has been drafted since... well... since Timmons.

Spence?... he showed promise, but he went down.

Sly?... eh... regardless, he went down, as well.

As in: what other option is there for the Steelers??? Foote is the BAP... and he has done well, considering that he should be backing up both ILB spots (as opposed to actually starting).

steeltheone
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Foote is an average but dependable good character type player...could do better, could do much worse.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 07:56 PM
You're hilarious....you are trying to make the argument with exact opposite claims.

What claims?? Watch the video link and you see Foote over run the play. He doesnt keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and instead gives Chiefs Center Ryan Lilja his back to push him completely out of the play.

Play some ILB. Coach some ILB, or just watch some ex coaches or players describe how you play ILB on the NFL Network, but please try and learn how the position is to be played before you start praising Foote as the best ILB we have.

You will see that Larry Foote is playing some lackluster and sloppy Inside Linebacker.

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 09:45 PM
What claims?? Watch the video link and you see Foote over run the play. He doesnt keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and instead gives Chiefs Center Ryan Lilja his back to push him completely out of the play.

Play some ILB. Coach some ILB, or just watch some ex coaches or players describe how you play ILB on the NFL Network, but please try and learn how the position is to be played before you start praising Foote as the best ILB we have.

You will see that Larry Foote is playing some lackluster and sloppy Inside Linebacker.

First he plugs the hole and you say he should have gone outside, then he goes outside and you say he should have plugged the hole. Coaching your college sorority sister power puff team doesn't count. I said the guy has become a leader and is one , ONE key, not the only key, not the best guy ever, just one key to the Steeler D. And he is. Plus, the people in here who act like achieving absolute perfection in the NFL year after year is possible. Wake up. This team is 6-3...there are a whole pile of teams worse. They will be in the play-offs, even if Ben doesn't make it back soon. They might even make a run at the title. It doesn't take Mr. Forum Experts Perfect Coaching and Team to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

You did argue both ways and you were wrong. The man is playing pretty decent football and has provided a spark for this team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2012, 11:17 PM
First he plugs the hole and you say he should have gone outside, then he goes outside and you say he should have plugged the hole. Coaching your college sorority sister power puff team doesn't count. I said the guy has become a leader and is one , ONE key, not the only key, not the best guy ever, just one key to the Steeler D. And he is. Plus, the people in here who act like achieving absolute perfection in the NFL year after year is possible. Wake up. This team is 6-3...there are a whole pile of teams worse. They will be in the play-offs, even if Ben doesn't make it back soon. They might even make a run at the title. It doesn't take Mr. Forum Experts Perfect Coaching and Team to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

You did argue both ways and you were wrong. The man is playing pretty decent football and has provided a spark for this team.

You say he plugged a hole, but if you know anything about the game you should know that ILB's are supposed to make tackles and not plug holes.

You think he is the 2nd coming of Mike Merriweather, I think he is past his prime. The fun part is we can watch and see if he is even starting next season for the Steelers or anywhere in the NFL................I bet he isnt.

JeromeBetties63
11-16-2012, 11:33 PM
You say he plugged a hole, but if you know anything about the game you should know that ILB's are supposed to make tackles and not plug holes.

You think he is the 2nd coming of Mike Merriweather, I think he is past his prime. The fun part is we can watch and see if he is even starting next season for the Steelers or anywhere in the NFL................I bet he isnt.

Actually, when stringing out a play, he is supposed to fill gaps, especially when the run went to the opposite side. You can dance on one of our players grave if you want, I choose to celebrate his success. And, as I said, he leads the number one defense in the NFL in tackles so it seems like he is doing what he is supposed to do...but according Chuck Noll here, he sucks. If only you were our D coordinator...

Bayz101
11-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Foote isn't supposed to fill gaps? He's an inside linebacker, of COURSE he's supposed to fill gaps! That's common knowledge in the game of football. The inside guys fill gaps and outside guys and safeties prevent runs from breaking outside for a big gainer. Sure, Foote misses possible tackles and takes bad angles on occasion, but he's doing his job AND some. Getting sacks, picks and forcing fumbles. He leads the team in tackles for good measure and he's 32 years old. He may be past his prime, but he's doing pretty damn good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Foote isn't supposed to fill gaps? He's an inside linebacker, of COURSE he's supposed to fill gaps! That's common knowledge in the game of football. The inside guys fill gaps and outside guys and safeties prevent runs from breaking outside for a big gainer. Sure, Foote misses possible tackles and takes bad angles on occasion, but he's doing his job AND some. Getting sacks, picks and forcing fumbles. He leads the team in tackles for good measure and he's 32 years old. He may be past his prime, but he's doing pretty damn good.

You guys say that Foote filled a gap in that play. You are dillusional if you think that is what he did. He took the wrong angle and let the play get outside by him.

If anybody still has the game on their DVR, go back and watch it again. The first 2 series you will see Foote just get manhandled by Jon Asomuoa, Ryan Lilja and the rest of KC offense. I'll watch the rest, but all is see is #50 being out of positon and getting pushed around.

Have a look at this TD by the Chiefs and how great #50 is on it. He doesnt even see the RB. I guess he is too busy "filling a gap" away from the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000094235/Charles-12-yd-TD

Bayz101
11-17-2012, 12:50 AM
You guys say that Foote filled a gap in that play. You are dillusional if you think that is what he did. He took the wrong angle and let the play get outside by him.

If anybody still has the game on their DVR, go back and watch it again. The first 2 series you will see Foote just get manhandled by Jon Asomuoa, Ryan Lilja and the rest of KC offense. I'll watch the rest, but all is see is #50 being out of positon and getting pushed around.

Have a look at this TD by the Chiefs and how great #50 is on it. He doesnt even see the RB. I guess he is too busy "filling a gap" away from the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000094235/Charles-12-yd-TD

I wasn't referring to any "one" play. No linebacker is perfect, certainly not a 32 year old career backup, but he IS leading the defense right now in tackles, with fumbles, sacks and a pick to spare. An inside linebakers job is to fill the running lanes in the middle, and to blitz or drop back on passing plays. Looks to me like Lamarr Woodley was getting manhandled on a lot of these plays i'm seeing, too. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I wasn't referring to any "one" play. No linebacker is perfect, certainly not a 32 year old career backup, but he IS leading the defense right now in tackles, with fumbles, sacks and a pick to spare. An inside linebakers job is to fill the running lanes in the middle, and to blitz or drop back on passing plays. Looks to me like Lamarr Woodley was getting manhandled on a lot of these plays i'm seeing, too. :noidea:

I watched the entire KC game again on the DVR....watching Foote especially and he made 2 plays the whole game:

-he tackled Cassell for a 7 yard gain on a QB scramble
-Foote tackled Tony Moeaki (tagged him when he fell down) after a 1st down reception

Other than that Foote was physically outmatched by the KC O linemen and TE's in the run game. He ran around the play, took poor angles and avoided any type of blockprotection with a forearm shiver to try and stuff interior run plays.

Its not just 1 play, but the entire game that he really didnt do much of anything to stop the KC offense. Congrats, we have a mediocre ILB that Jon Gruden pimped in the pre game and a number of fans think he is great. The tape doesnt lie.....watch the game again.

StainlessStill
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Woodley's job in this alignment is to shield off outside containment and force the play to the inside. That's an outside linebackers sole purpose and advantage in playing run-d, to seal the edge. If you look closely, it's Woodley's play to make and Foote would of been in perfect position to make the tackle if Woodley wins the battle on the outside. Wood simply got tad hooked at the last split second, enough for Hillis, an inside runner, to bounce to the outside.

This was more on Woodley than it was Foote. Foote got lost in traffic but it wasn't his outside pursuit to make. Should of been forced to him and if it was, Foote would of been assistance on the tackle.

JeromeBetties63
11-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I watched the entire KC game again on the DVR....watching Foote especially and he made 2 plays the whole game:

-he tackled Cassell for a 7 yard gain on a QB scramble
-Foote tackled Tony Moeaki (tagged him when he fell down) after a 1st down reception

Other than that Foote was physically outmatched by the KC O linemen and TE's in the run game. He ran around the play, took poor angles and avoided any type of blockprotection with a forearm shiver to try and stuff interior run plays.

Its not just 1 play, but the entire game that he really didnt do much of anything to stop the KC offense. Congrats, we have a mediocre ILB that Jon Gruden pimped in the pre game and a number of fans think he is great. The tape doesnt lie.....watch the game again.

I have no idea what Jon Gruden said....what I do know is that the two examples you have cited...you were wrong on both, so I can safely assume your analysis of the rest of the game is wrong.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I have no idea what Jon Gruden said....what I do know is that the two examples you have cited...you were wrong on both, so I can safely assume your analysis of the rest of the game is wrong.:blah:

and I can safely assume that you should ask mom and dad to stay up later on Sunday and Monday night to watch and learn more about football.

Watch the KC game again. The tape doesnt lie!

Bayz101
11-17-2012, 01:16 PM
You watched the game on DVR just so you can prove us wrong about Foote? 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 43 total tackles and 21 tackle assists. Not to mention a pick or two to put the cherry on top. The only way you could possibly prove that he's a BAD linebacker is if you went back and watched every game this year. If he's erased from the defense for the entire season, we may lose some games without the momentum he provides to the team with sacks and turnovers. I'm not saying he's as good as the announcers are making him out to be, just saying he's one of our best defensive players, and he's not washed up.

Steelersfan87
11-17-2012, 05:03 PM
I would say the entire secondary and the rest of the starting LBs are better...Foote struggles in coverage and struggles to shed blocks. He's been okay and has been schemed well into making some splash plays. Hopefully that continues to be good enough for now, which was the design all along.

Rick5895
11-18-2012, 07:35 AM
I was at the game so I didn't hear what Gruden said about anything (thankfully) KC ran the ball on us, far too easily, and as I usually do I watched the DL and LB play. Our OLB's were not very good in the game, people can blame Foote and point to specific plays, but Woodley and Harrison were too easily blocked at the point of attack. Harrison, especially was awful on play action where Cassel was able to too easily able to get outside of him.
Foote may not be the best player we have, but IMO he is doing a decent job.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't know why Larry Foote has never gotten any love or respect from this fanbase. Folks have complained about him since 2005. All he has done is provide solid inside linebacker play on more #1 ranked LB units than not in the last 8 years. He is still our best ILB in run stopping.

Keep in mind, isn't he also filling in Farrior's old role of calling the plays and coordinating with Dick Lebeau over the radio?

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
:blah:

and I can safely assume that you should ask mom and dad to stay up later on Sunday and Monday night to watch and learn more about football.

Watch the KC game again. The tape doesnt lie!

So your entire analysis of Foote's play this year is based solely on one, single game against the #7 ranked run game?

What do your tapes of the other eight games we played this year show you?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2012, 01:21 PM
So your entire analysis of Foote's play this year is based solely on one, single game against the #7 ranked run game?

What do your tapes of the other eight games we played this year show you?

No, not based on 1 single game. I have been noticing all season that Foote is not attacking the line of scrimmage and filling in the run game. He often gets driven back or ridden out of the play by offensive linemen.

Foote is playing rather passive compared to his previous years with the Steelers.

I have I think 3 more games on the DVR and will go thru those too if you want me to break down his play more?? He was similarly getting owned in the Cincinatti and Giants games.

Some have questioned his pass coverage skills, but I dont think he has been too bad there. He gets into his hook-curl zone drops farily well. Its only when he has man coverage on a TE that he looks like a liability.

My whole point is that so many fans just look at the stat sheet and think Foote is doing so well this year. I think there are a few posters on this site that have watched more than just his stat line and also see that he isnt that impressive.

The ILB position that Foote is playing is a point of weakness in this defense. Watch some tape and you will see.

fer522
11-18-2012, 01:23 PM
WOW!!! One bad game and some people wanna kill the guy :doh:
He's been one of the most consistent players on our D IMHO

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
WOW!!! One bad game and some people wanna kill the guy :doh:
He's been one of the most consistent players on our D IMHO

I will agree with you that he has been consistent. Consistently weak against the run as an ILB. Its not one bad game, but a string of games where he blitzes well vs the pass, gets pushed around vs the run and is mediocre in pass coverage.

Again, watch the games, tape them and review his play. Its not impressive, but I hope he returns to 2005 form tonight.