PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we do that?

tanda10506
11-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT want us to be "like" the Bengals, but right now they are up 28 to 6 vs the Chiefs AT ARROWHEAD! We barely beat them at home. Now I know some here will laugh and say things like "who cares, we win in the playoffs", or "we win 12 games a year, who cares how", etc., but it's embarrassing to see the Bengals whoop them in their house when they almost beat us in ours. More importantly it's not a characteristic of a good team, good teams may not blow every bad team out, but they don't make "nail biter" games out of them either. I'm optimistic today and I'm not trying to bitch....just wanting to hear some of your guys ideas on why we are so terribly inconsistent?

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
bengals are showing all the characteristics of a very good team by beating the cheifs? :rolleyes:

bungle penis envy... :headshake:

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 02:55 PM
the honest answer is the cheifs tont care any more or less about beating the bungs than just about any other (non-divisional)team they face on their schedule.

EVERY team circles the steelers on their calendar as soon as the schedule comes out ESPECIALLY if its primetime/nationally televised game.

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 02:58 PM
The steelers never blow anybody out ever EVER EVER!

tanda10506
11-18-2012, 03:25 PM
bengals are showing all the characteristics of a very good team by beating the cheifs? :rolleyes:

Prime example of the "few" that I mentioned and the answers they would give. Of course the Bengals aren't a great team, as I clearly implied, and that's what raises the question. If a team like the Bengals can own KC in KC then we shouldn't be worried in the 4th quarter vs KC in our house. As for the everybody circling the Steelers on the schedule thing, I doubt that. Maybe after we win a SB, but why would KC, PHI, NYG, etc. care any more about beating us then they do any other good team. I think the problem is more that we (the Steelers) circle games on the schedule and overlook the scrubs, not that the scrubs circle us.

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Prime example of the "few" that I mentioned and the answers they would give. Of course the Bengals aren't a great team, as I clearly implied, and that's what raises the question. If a team like the Bengals can own KC in KC then we shouldn't be worried in the 4th quarter vs KC in our house. As for the everybody circling the Steelers on the schedule thing, I doubt that. Maybe after we win a SB, but why would KC, PHI, NYG, etc. care any more about beating us then they do any other good team. I think the problem is more that we (the Steelers) circle games on the schedule and overlook the scrubs, not that the scrubs circle us.

youre right. now deal with it and quit whining.

we circle calendars...

:shout:- FIRE THE PLAYERS WITH A PEN AND A CALENDAR!!!!

:shout:-...AND THE COACHES TOO!!!!

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 03:31 PM

I don't know about that. I think it has to do with our style of play. We don't showboat, we take a knee and just tend to get a lead, play it safe punt the ball, pin then inside the 20, and repeat until the clock says 00:00? thats the best answer you are going to get.:hatsoff:

BowCatShot
11-18-2012, 03:33 PM
The steelers never blow anybody out ever EVER EVER!

Follow the money, ladies and gentlemen, and use your little gray cells. The nfl doesn't like blowouts. The tv stations don't like like blowouts. Most importantly the advertisers, who write the paychecks for all concerned, hate blowouts because viewership goes down during one, except for the fans of the team doing the blowing out. That means that fewer people will be watching those high priced commercials that the advertisers are paying for. So, the advertisers don't get the return on investment on those kinda games. You think that they don't mention that to the nfl owners and Goodell?

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM
"Style points dont matter".

-Mike Tomlin (bill cowher wanst a blowout ***** either.- leave that shit for douches like jon harbaugh and belichick, and any fan who wants the steelers to be like them).

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Have you not watched the last 10 years of Pittsburgh ball? NONE of our wins are pretty and very rarely do we blow anyone out. But we are a team that pulls wins out usually at the last second. That's our history. That's why I get tickets to every game I can because you get your monies worth out of the game.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Steelers 27 - Jets 10

Steelers 27 - Redskins 12

Those were nail biters?:noidea:

As for the Chiefs game. consider the possibility that playing the game in a rainstorm had something to do with the game being tied when Ben went out

After losing Monday night the Chiefs were locks to mail it in today

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Steelers 27 - Jets 10

Steelers 27 - Redskins 12

:noidea:

I think he may be referring to kills like 43-6 or 47-7 etc. either way Pittsburg usually wins only by a margin which makes for an intense football game. You get your monies worth.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I think he may be referring to kills like 43-6 or 47-7 etc. either way Pittsburg usually wins only by a margin which makes for an intense football game. You get your monies worth.

And Tomlin does not need to make a veteran team feel better about itself by running it up (e.g. - Harbaugh calling a fake FG when the Ravens were up by 20 in the second half last week)

DoctorCAD
11-18-2012, 04:02 PM

You should be banned for misspelling PittsburgH.

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 04:05 PM
And Tomlin does not need to make a veteran team feel better about itself by running it up (e.g. - Harbaugh calling a fake FG when the Ravens were up by 20 in the second half last week)exactly. i dont see how scrimmage points matter to a football purist. i'd rather see tomlin throw rookies and backups in the game, score no points, but gain valuable real game experience, than run up the score.

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
You should be banned for misspelling PittsburgH.i think hes from canada where the french H is silent even at the beginning of words.

i guess we'll let it slide.

Millers the sh!t
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe cause Ben was out half the game?

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
To answer the original question, it's because everything for the Steelers has to revolve around the defense. Can't take a shot down the field because if the Steelers offense scores quickly, that's less rest for the defense. As long as the defense gets enough rest, it's unbeatable. Oh, don't you dare mention the games earlier in the season when the Steelers led in TOP but still lost!

Ricco Suavez
11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
The Steeler Style is you win with defense first. Only here lately have we spent cap money on the offensive side of the ball. Cowher ball was defense, power running, and if you got a lead put the game on ice. Goodell has changed the way the NFL is played now with the offensive players getting all the rule breaks. I come on here when we have a "breather" scheduled for the upcoming weekend and I read predictions of blowouts by our Steelers, I then just shake my head and keep it to myself but know it will likely be a close game with the Steelers coming out on top. Just today the Jags went to OT with the Texans at Houston. NFL is a parity league where even the worst can beat the best on any given Sunday.

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
The Steeler Style is you win with defense first. Only here lately have we spent cap money on the offensive side of the ball. Cowher ball was defense, power running, and if you got a lead put the game on ice. Goodell has changed the way the NFL is played now with the offensive players getting all the rule breaks. I come on here when we have a "breather" scheduled for the upcoming weekend and I read predictions of blowouts by our Steelers, I then just shake my head and keep it to myself but know it will likely be a close game with the Steelers coming out on top. Just today the Jags went to OT with the Texans at Houston. NFL is a parity league where even the worst can beat the best on any given Sunday.

Makes you wonder why the Steelers insist on clinging to tradition rather than play to the talent they have.

steelerchad
11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Don't forget the great equalizer. The weather. A cold, rainy, windy game seems to even out teams. It takes a lot of the advantage away from the better , more skilled team.

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Don't forget the great equalizer. The weather. A cold, rainy, windy game seems to even out teams. It takes a lot of the advantage away from the better , more skilled team.

So it doesn't affect the crappy team at all?

SquirrelHillSteelNut
11-18-2012, 05:12 PM
i'm not asking for belliCHEAT* blowouts, but i would love to see some wins by a comfortable margin. just sayin'.

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 05:13 PM

no.

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
no.

Well thanks for clearing that up.

Steel_Bus_24
11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Ok what the hell is wrong in pointing out the fact we shouldn't be consistently sweating out games against scrubs

The Chiefs game really wasn't the best example, as we lost our Qb but we all know the type of games we're talking about

If this was just maybe a once in a blue moon thing I could understand

In the past I knew damm well what the problem usually was......It was Arians and this offense's inability to score Touchdowns in the Redzone.During the Arians years it was like it was their man-code to beat teams with Field Goals...for an extra challenge or something

This year has been a little frustrating because we have dominated the TOP so much but still find ourselves in deep crap because we found ways to lose to those turds (Raiders,Titans)

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 05:24 PM
we're a classy team so we don't run up the score. we just win by 3-4 points and give our fans a heart attack as much as possible :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
11-18-2012, 05:25 PM
You can't really say what would have happened if Ben played he whole game or if A. Brown had played. With Ben leaving in the 3rd, the chance of the game turning into a blowout became a lot lower.

steelerchad
11-18-2012, 05:31 PM

I think you missed the point. I said it was an equalizer. It doesn't effect the crappy team as much because they already suck. If you are stronger, faster, more talented than your competitor you want a nice clear day. If you are out gunned then you hope for weather. Rain and win can cause turnovers that normally wouldn't happen. It can make an offense inefficient. The Steelers lead the league in 3rd downs at 50%, but only converted 6 of 17 against a below avg. Chiefs defense at home.

Weather can slow down an efficient offense. Sure both teams play in it, but it obviously has more of an effect on the team that actually moves the ball and doesn't turn it over normally. Neither team looked good on offense. This is normal for the Chiefs and rare for the Steelers, so it's likely that the rain and wind helped make it a low scoring and much tighter game than it normally would have been.

Bayz101
11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Maybe cause Ben was out half the game?

Thank you. I was beginning to lose hope in humanity.

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I think you missed the point. I said it was an equalizer. It doesn't effect the crappy team as much because they already suck. If you are stronger, faster, more talented than your competitor you want a nice clear day. If you are out gunned then you hope for weather. Rain and win can cause turnovers that normally wouldn't happen. It can make an offense inefficient. The Steelers lead the league in 3rd downs at 50%, but only converted 6 of 17 against a below avg. Chiefs defense at home.

Weather can slow down an efficient offense. Sure both teams play in it, but it obviously has more of an effect on the team that actually moves the ball and doesn't turn it over normally. Neither team looked good on offense. This is normal for the Chiefs and rare for the Steelers, so it's likely that the rain and wind helped make it a low scoring and much tighter game than it normally would have been.

So why couldn't the so-called resurgent running game not function against a bad run defense? By your logic, if the Steelers are "stronger and faster" than they should have beaten them soundly regardless of run vs pass ratio.

DAMN YOU ROONEYS! YINZERS WANT A DOME STADIUM!

cubanstogie
11-18-2012, 06:02 PM
So why couldn't the so-called resurgent running game not function against a bad run defense? By your logic, if the Steelers are "stronger and faster" than they should have beaten them soundly regardless of run vs pass ratio.

I have heard the cliche and agree with him to a certain extent, but its not foolproof.The greatest show on turf seemed to be better indoors on turf. Then again Peyton Manning was supposed to be aided by playing in the dome half his games but this year is playing just as well as ever.

Danny136200
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Did we win against the chiefs? If the answer is yes, why does it matter by how much we beat them? Ask any bengals fans if they would rather be 6-3 or 5-5 with a blow out victory against the chiefs?

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
You should be banned for misspelling PittsburgH.

I can spell very well thank you. It's this stupid iPhone 4S's spell check. It's terrible! I wish I could turn it off. Some times I miss the things my phone tries to correct. I always spell Pittsburgh correctly. Look at my other posts.

tanda10506
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
youre right. now deal with it and quit whining.

Typical response from you. I'm not "whining" about it and even if I was I can continue to as I please. Just because we have a good team doesn't mean every flaw is to be ignored.

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 06:14 PM
the new england game is a great example they are up 52-24 with 5:00 left and still trying to pour it on, just sadistic monsters. we could do that we just dont want to hurt crappy teams feelings

Twentyvalve
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Much of football is about individual players and match ups. Throw in schemes, luck, and karma and there you go. That is why overall records are far more revealing of a team's quality than an "but we lost to them and they beat the team we beat" mind set.

Teams play just to get into the playoffs. Once into the playoffs, then a team needs only to win a few games by any combination of factors to make it to the Super Bowl (can I sat "Super Bowl in an Internet forum?).

tanda10506
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Did we win against the chiefs? If the answer is yes, why does it matter by how much we beat them? Ask any bengals fans if they would rather be 6-3 or 5-5 with a blow out victory against the chiefs?

You read my OP right? I already stated that I wouldn't rather blow them out at the cost of being like the Bengals, so there's no sense in implying that. I agree that a win is a win, but isn't the goal of EVERY NFL team to get better? Great teams never say it's good enough, neither do great players, so while I'm happy about the position we are in, I'm also concerned that we have made nail biters out of games against scrub teams since 2009, sometimes losing them, and don't seem to be getting any better in that area.

austinfrench76
11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
None of this matters. You can look week to week and say WOW!! Look at Houston today and Jax. Who saw that coming??? I don't think you can compare game to game like that. Only head to head.

GoFor7
11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
You read my OP right? I already stated that I wouldn't rather blow them out at the cost of being like the Bengals, so there's no sense in implying that. I agree that a win is a win, but isn't the goal of EVERY NFL team to get better? Great teams never say it's good enough, neither do great players, so while I'm happy about the position we are in, I'm also concerned that we have made nail biters out of games against scrub teams since 2009, sometimes losing them, and don't seem to be getting any better in that area.

Also consider the fact that it's a pattern with the Steelers playing down to very bad teams in general. Sure, it's easy to say "Ben got hurt!" But how many times have the Steelers played down to very bad teams regardless of who's healthy?

I also think it's hilarious that Stiller fans are the only fans that get pissy when their football team scores more points. I remember 2 years ago against the Browns in the last regular season game, yinzers on various forums were actually angry that the Steelers kept scoring. "BOOO! YINZ SHOULDN'T THROW THAT MUCH!" "BOOO! YINZ DON'T NEED THAT MANY POINTS!" They simply could not enjoy the fact the Steelers won 41-9. :noidea:

Seriously, quit worrying about the Steelers "running up the score." It's football. It's the offense's job to score points.

steelerchad
11-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Boy. I guess this will be my last attempt to explain it.
Bad weather usually means less offense.
Less offense, means lower scoring game.
Lower scoring game means it is more likely to be close.
Thus, bad weather is likely to equalize the 2 teams.
Certainly is not a full proof reason as to why games turn out the way they do, but I believe it is a contributing factor.

I seem to remember some really cold, rainy, windy prime time games against inferior opponents that game down to the wire and shouldn't have.

3-0 against Miami on a last second FG. I doubt this game would have been 0-0 with seconds to go if it wasn't a monsoon.

13-6 loss in Cleveland with Arians trying to throw 40 times in 40mph winds. Wind likely hampered our passing game a little.

LVSteelersfan
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Hope the weather is decent this week. But of course it would probably help us this week if the weather was bad.

GoFor7
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Boy. I guess this will be my last attempt to explain it.
Bad weather usually means less offense.
Less offense, means lower scoring game.
Lower scoring game means it is more likely to be close.
Thus, bad weather is likely to equalize the 2 teams.
Certainly is not a full proof reason as to why games turn out the way they do, but I believe it is a contributing factor.

I seem to remember some really cold, rainy, windy prime time games against inferior opponents that game down to the wire and shouldn't have.

3-0 against Miami on a last second FG. I doubt this game would have been 0-0 with seconds to go if it wasn't a monsoon.

13-6 loss in Cleveland with Arians trying to throw 40 times in 40mph winds. Wind likely hampered our passing game a little.

Boy. Let me explain this one last time.

Good teams, like the Steelers are expected to be, don't use the weather as an excuse, especially against teams like KC whom look like they are going to pick first in next year's draft.

As you said, the Steelers are bigger and stronger. Shouldn't they be able to push KC around then regardless of the environment?

Oh by the way, that wasn't exactly the first time the Steelers played down to an opponent. Were all those games in bad weather too?

TheVet
11-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Tomlin's teams play down to their opposition. It's one of his weaknesses as a coach.