PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin, Terrible Game Manager

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Tomlin seems to be a very incompetent game day manager. With about 1:50 left, the Ravens have to punt on 4th down and it suddenly dawns on him at about 1:25 to call a timeout. The man sucks managing the clock. It shoud be blatantly obvious to call a timeout as soon as it is 4th down for the Ravens but it dawns on Tomlin 30 seconds later.

BowCatShot
11-18-2012, 09:07 PM
He does seem to suffer from rectal cranium inversion during the games, doesn't he?

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah, so Leftwich could throw a few incompletions that much sooner and give them that much more time. Fucking brilliant.

sloppyjoe
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
he wasnt hired for his ability to manage a game

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
he wasnt hired for his ability to manage a game

No, but he should be able to do it competently, and he can't!

fansince'76
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
No, but he should be able to do it competently, and he can't!

What was there in that entire first half that gives you any inkling whatsoever that they would have been able to get into scoring range with 25 more seconds on the clock? All of Leftwich's one-hops into the dirt at receivers' feet? What? I've been having Kordell Stewart flashbacks myself.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
the late timeout was due to a lack of faith in leftwich more than anything imo

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
What was there in that entire first half that gives you any inkling whatsoever that they would have been able to get into scoring range with 25 more seconds on the clock? All of Leftwich's one-hops into the dirt at receivers' feet? What? I've been having Kordell Stewart flashbacks myself.

Well Tomlin obviously thought he had a chance otherwise he wouldnt have called the timeout at all. He just called it 25 seconds late. Man isn't as sharp as we need him to be

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I like Tomlin. I personally don't like Todd Haley.

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 09:59 PM
I like Tomlin. I personally don't like Todd Haley.

You also don't like Mike Wallace. I personally think you have terrible judgement and value your opinion on football about as much as I value Artie Lange's opinion on hygiene.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Perhaps you should look at the I hate Wallace thread. There are many people who will agree with me Wallace is bad. So my opinion is correct. Todd Haley is lacking fans and I am right in that. Tomlin is good and a class act so your real problem is you don't have any clue to what a good player is.

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Perhaps you should look at the I hate Wallace thread. There are many people who will agree with me Wallace is bad. So my opinion is correct. Todd Haley is lacking fans and I am right in that. Tomlin is good and a class act so your real problem is you don't have any clue to what a good player is.

I don't think ANYBODY thinks Wallace is bad. I think MOST people don't think he is worth top 5 WR money- that is a HUGE difference. Please try extra hard to understand this crucial distinction as I get the feeling reading comprehension is not a strength for you. Wallace is one of the best big play WRs in the NFL- fans are just butthurt because he held out.

Most people like Haley. He has established a running game, won 4 games in a row, has the 2nd best TOP in the league and is first in 3rd down %. Ben was having a career season. I don't think you'll find ANYONE who thinks Arians was better.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Gee let's see... Another lazy dropped pass by Wallace. Hell even the announcer said he could have tried to catch the ball. He just stood there and looked at it as it fell at his feet costing us ANOTHER 3rd down conversion. Wallace sucks plain and simple.

SteelerNation89
11-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Gee let's see... Another lazy dropped pass by Wallace. Hell even the announcer said he could have tried to catch the ball. He just stood there and looked at it as it fell at his feet costing us ANOTHER 3rd down conversion. Wallace sucks plain and simple.

Mike Wallace will not be back. I do not think this guy deserves the type of money he is looking for.

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah it was Wallace's decision to play an injured Leftwich over a healthy Batch. Leftwich throws the ball really hard. He throws bullet passes. There isn't time to react to passes thrown 5 yards short as he has been throwing lasers into the grass all night. Nothing you say is meaningful.

Rotorhead
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Why the F did we not replace an injured Lefty, WTF was tomlin think

Kanata-Steeler
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
yep, once again really bad clock / time management, blown timeouts...., and even worse, stoopid player management.
Lefty was already damaged goods in the 3rd, Batch should have been in.

Thanks for LOSING our game, and letting our "D" down, MIKE !

edit : don't forget your post-game fireside chat Mike " ... I take full responsibility for this loss, blah blah blah "

Curtain_of_Steel
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
We go long to Wallace the first series, successful PI call. Did we go long EVER again? No. Why not?

Veteran Leftwhich v Veteran Mendehal, which is a bigger dumbass? If Dwyer hasnt proven he is the back in town after his runs, than he never will be.

Def stepped up huge. Ike: Props to Ike, he played great.

Special teams absolutely sucked again.

Tomlin, will take full responsiblity, that will comfort everyone.Leftwhich shouldve been pulled, he could not make a long pass late.

Gave the game away by piss poor Off play calling and piss poor game management by Tomlin.. By the way, Steelers covered the 8 point swing point spread by 1/2 pt. Interesting how things work out for vegas.

Rotorhead
11-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Aaaaaaareerrerghthghhhhh thinking when he left Lefty in when it was OBVIOUS he was injured. Hell that broken play at the end was a dam TD if Batch is in and if Lefty isnt injured, I and so furious right now I cnat stand it dammit tomlin is a f'ing moron up until tonight i was fine with his occasional moronic dcisions but wholly crap everyone, even the announcers saw Lefty couldnt throw and yet our dumbass coach keeps him in.

madtowndrunkard
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Yea, I'm not sure what to say here.... Our defense was awesome... I mean that was one of DL's better jobs of shutting down a pretty good offense....and with basically no play makers... Troy was on the sideline, Some guy is wearing Harrison's jersey - but we all know it isn't him, Woodley is the best we got but he didn't do anything..... hats off to DL.

Then the offense.... we all know this is a QB league...so it's not a shock that we would struggle with out Ben...but what really bothers me is the fact that Byron could do nothing...and was obviously injured....and Charlie Batch was on the sideline. I didn't like the play calling offensively, but I don't think it was horrible. I think Haley has done a fine job all year. What I saw was a QB not capable of running the offense. He didn't have the arm strength to hit wide open deep WR's....that's a problem....especially late in a game when your only hope is a hail mary. I know Batch isn't the next John Elway, but he couldn't have been worse then Leftwich could he? I do lay the blame of this loss on Tomlin.... I think he needed to take charge in this game and he sat there on his hands like a fan, hoping to win. Fail.

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Tomlin just keeps proving my point over and over that he is terrible at managing a game. I started this thread at halftime and the disastrous decisions by Tomlin just kept amounting. Leaving a crippled Leftwich in....ridiculous.

Pirate
11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
How much longer does Tomlin have on his contract? I keep hoping "this" is his last year.

Bastard keeps coming back.

Myounger55
11-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong but the Steelers were out of TO's before the 2 minute warning. The offside call by Keisel created the additional time off the clock by putting the next play on the wrong side of the 2 minute warning. Baltimore ran it down to the second and THEY called the TO. It wasn't Tomlin who is to blame on this one. With that said, clearly Ledtwich was having issues physically and needed pulled. That's on Tomlin.

madtowndrunkard
11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't think Tomlin is a BAD coach... I think he's had some bad games and this one ranks up there.... Dick Lebeau and his defense had a great game.... where's the HC to make the decisions that needed to be made? I'm not talking play calling..I'm talking player management and clock management. In a 3 point game that's the difference between winning and losing. IF batch wasn't a better option in the 4th Quarter then why is he even on our roster?

cubanstogie
11-18-2012, 11:31 PM
don't you guys know it's Bruce Arians fault. BA's worse game play calling was better than tonights.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:33 PM
I have no qualms with Tomlin or Haley, but 3rd and 2 on the 4 yard line and you run a fade to Wallace? Dwyer had been fucking tearing up the turf! Feed that man, he was good for 6-7 yards all fucking night. I'd rather put my trust in him than a hurt backup QB throwing a fade to a 5'9 WR

TD there and we win

cubanstogie
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't think Tomlin is a BAD coach... I think he's had some bad games and this one ranks up there.... Dick Lebeau and his defense had a great game.... where's the HC to make the decisions that needed to be made? I'm not talking play calling..I'm talking player management and clock management. In a 3 point game that's the difference between winning and losing. IF batch wasn't a better option in the 4th Quarter then why is he even on our roster?

I thought Lefty would be the better option. But at some point you can't expect to do the same thing and get different results. It was obvious Lefty hurt and couldn't make the throws. How many short hops did he throw. Neither of the backups are the answer. If Ben were out for the year they would need to sign a FA QB , I know there is not much out there but even Vince Young would be an improvement.

austinfrench76
11-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Lefty was hurt. Screw all the Tomlin or Wallace talk. As they say, it's rarely one play or call that loses a game. If Leftwich was hurt, he was very selfish to stay in that game. I get being a ballsy guy etc but he hurt his team. That duck he threw to Gilreath was proof. He shouldn't start next week. Or, we may not beat the Clowns.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:42 PM
http://blog.steelers.com/

Read this. I am even more pissed off at Tomlin now.

steelbelieve
11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Yeah it was Wallace's decision to play an injured Leftwich over a healthy Batch. Leftwich throws the ball really hard. He throws bullet passes. There isn't time to react to passes thrown 5 yards short as he has been throwing lasers into the grass all night. Nothing you say is meaningful.

friend, don't defend Wallace tonight. He stunk up the joint. I think he's a decent player fully capable of stretching the filed, but he didn't show up tonight. On a night when we were desperately looking for players to step up, all he did was manage to step out.

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 12:56 AM
He's no Bill Cowher that's for sure. Bill became quite good at game management and reading the game and his team. Tomlin is still feeling his way it seems.

Pentheon
11-19-2012, 01:14 AM
the late timeout was probably because if we dont convert a first down or move the ball then we give them plenty of time left on the clock, if we move the ball down the field then its still possible to come away with points

dez09231
11-19-2012, 01:19 AM
He's won a ring and been to another dance. I'll take the good with the bad. I hope he's around for 30 years.

Steeldude
11-19-2012, 01:19 AM
It looked to me like Haley was telling Tomlin when to throw the red flag for the challenge on Dwyer's run. Tomlin appeared to want to throw it early, but Haley was waiting for another angle before wasting it. That's what it appeared to be :noidea:

Tomlin does seem to be clueless when it comes to managing the clock. Don't worry though, he will say something clever to make up for it :thumbsup:

torpedoshell31
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I too was absolutely shocked when on 3rd and two from the 3 yard line we call a very low percentage fade pass when Dwyer was just chewing up their defense. With Leftwich at QB it wasn't like we were going to get any more chances in their red zone. It was a horrible play call.

BowCatShot
11-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Here's the way I see it:

Ben really likes Wallace.

Ben really really likes Leftwitch. Close personal friends.

Tomlin kept Leftwitch in the game, even keeps him around, in order to placate his one and only superstar Ben. Tomlin would prefer to dump Leftwitch and now he has some ammo to convince Ben. Besides if Lefty gets hurt and can't play anymore then the problem is solved and Mike is blameless.

Tomlin lets Wallace get away with being lackluster in order to keep Ben happy.

Tomlin didn't really want to win this game, but he did manage to keep it close, didn't he?

Tomlin is a bad in game field general, and lousy at game time management.

Tomlin knows that he'll never ever be fired.

FacemeIke
11-19-2012, 07:45 AM
I hate that decision to take the timeout at 2:04 rather than after the two minute warning. It was 3rd and 7. If you let it run to the 2 minute warning, then Baltimore is most likely going to come out and run it straight up the middle and get stopped but force us to use our last time out. By taking the time out at 2:04, the clock is going to stop after the 3rd and 7 play no matter what, so it gives them an incentive to throw the ball and try to pick up the first down.

SteeleReign
11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Here's the way I see it:

Ben really likes Wallace.

Ben really really likes Leftwitch. Close personal friends.

Tomlin kept Leftwitch in the game, even keeps him around, in order to placate his one and only superstar Ben. Tomlin would prefer to dump Leftwitch and now he has some ammo to convince Ben. Besides if Lefty gets hurt and can't play anymore then the problem is solved and Mike is blameless.

Tomlin lets Wallace get away with being lackluster in order to keep Ben happy.

Tomlin didn't really want to win this game, but he did manage to keep it close, didn't he?

Tomlin is a bad in game field general, and lousy at game time management.

Tomlin knows that he'll never ever be fired.

Let me guess....aliens are real, Elvis is still alive, and Mikey died from eating Pop Rocks and drinking Coke?

BowCatShot
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
And you were an ostrich in your previous life. Only thing is you've still got your head in the sand, when you manage to extract it from your anus, that is.

SteeleReign
11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
And you were an ostrich in your previous life. Only thing is you've still got your head in the sand, when you manage to extract it from your anus, that is.

Right, I was an ostrich. :huh:

So, you think Tomlin allowed Leftwich to stay in the game and get murdered because Ben & Lefty are buddies? And, Tomlin doesn't yell at Mike Wallace because he and Ben are buddies? And Tomlin didn't really want to win the game? :doh:

I can't tell if you are being serious or are a tinfoil-hat wearin', Bigfoot huntin' wack-job. :hide:

If Ben had that much control over this team Arians would still be here. Tomlin pretty much crapped the bed & it had nothing to do with Ben and his BFFs.

Ricco Suavez
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Tomlin is a good coach who has had some pretty good coaches around him,(yea, even Arians). He fits the Rooney mold, hired by the Rooneys, and will not be shown the door before the Rooneys deem it necessary. That said I believe he does not make the best game time decisions such as TOs, coaches challenges, fake punts and/or kicks, and 4th down calls. I feel the 2 minute phase of our game has gotten worse the last two years. We do not hustle to the line, take too long to get plays in, and waste TO during the game that come back to haunt us later. Ben seems to get the play off with less than 1-3 seconds on the play clock constantly whether by design or choice I do not know. Haleys play calling has been a moderate success so far IMO, his calling has done pretty much what the Rooneys wanted done, protect Ben(his sack numbers are down), control the clock and re-establish the running game. The running game is not there yet but shows signs of great potential. I keep hoping Tomlin gets better because I truly feel he is the man for this team esp. his temperament. On another hand I feel we have whiffed on several recent draft choices that are not stepping up now that some of the veterans are aging and has attribute to some lackluster performances.

Hawaii 5-0
11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Steelers Loss Against Ravens Is On Tomlin

Nov 19th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/11/6766218.jpg?0ace0d

You know, for quite some time during Sunday’s game against the Ravens, I believed the battered Steelers could pull one out against the Ravens. But, as the fourth quarter unfolded, that belief quickly filled with doubt until all shred of hope was obliterated even before the Steelers’ last drive. The first thought that came to my mind when the clock reached :00 was, “Tomlin, what the hell were you thinking?”

We point a lot of fingers after a loss, but none falls more squarely than on head coach Mike Tomlin after this one. Sure, there are others who made some mistakes. Quite frankly it was the ‘little things’ added up over the game that helped cost the Steelers this one. But, a big chunk lands right onto Tomlin like the pile of stinking dung heap he put out there on Sunday.

Todd Haley’s offense is structured around two things: 1) The inability of the offensive line to consistently pass block and 2) Big Ben’s quick release of the football. When Ben went out with the shoulder and rib injury, it seems as if Tomlin ignored having to evaluate his QB situation, and who was best suited for the offense. Todd Haley, based at looking at the play selection from the game, appeared to adjust his offense to the QB – I think there was only one or two quick screens to the wide outs. Not really his fault because that’s all he had to work with. Or at least, that’s all that was given to him. Tomlin had an opportunity to flip flop the QB depth chart and place Batch as the starter over Leftwich. It seemed like a rather obvious move to make over the course of the week, but everyone learned early that Lefty was going to be the one under center.

Once Leftwich was obviously hurt – go ahead, pick any of the dozen or so times that Leftwich grabbed his ribs or hunched over in pain over three quarters OR when his accuracy faltered on several easy tosses OR when he couldn’t throw the ball 30+ yards downfield – Tomlin should have yanked him out of there. It’s hard to question Lefty’s toughness. This dude rallied his Thundering Herd back in 2002 after breaking his tibia (shin). Marshall still lost the game, but this kid at the time showed a ton of guts going back out there for several series. Leftwich tried to stir up that toughness again, but the simple fact that it impeded his throws should have had him benched – either by his own admission or by Tomlin’s yank of the hook. This pretty much goes under the category of what Ben tried to do last season against the 49′ers. The questions always looms – was he injured significantly enough that he did more harm than good? The answer to last season’s game against the 49′ers is ‘yes’ as is last night’s an even more resounding ‘YES!’

Batch’s quicker release over Lefty’s and his overall state of health (i.e. he didn’t have a rib and shoulder injury) should have had him in that game sometime early in the second half. I was astounded every single time I saw Leftwich come back out on the field for the next series. I admit, the offense was effective at certain points getting the ball past mid field, but that was in large part from the running game and not Lefty’s arm. The Raven’s defense seemed on its heels at times, but a few incomplete passes emboldened the pass rush or the tighter coverage that caused the drives to stall short of field goal range to tie. There’s no doubt that if Ben was in this game the Steelers would have won handedly. An overall ranked 26th in defense, and the Steelers couldn’t even put 13+ points on the board?

All of it falls on Tomlin. It was horrendously poor decision making by keeping Leftwich in. I have no clue what Tomlin’s beef is with Batch, but that’s all it seems the reasoning could be as to why Tomlin refused to put Batch in the game – there’s an underlying problem between those two that we don’t know about. The piss poor clock management was also on Tomlin. Wasting two time out’s in :44 early in the 3rd quarter is just plain dumb, and the clock management in the two minute drill was just as terrible. Hear me now, and here me many more times until this team puts up big numbers, big wins, big seasons, and big time championships – Mike Tomlin is not an elite coach. He’s good, but he has a tendency to put up stinkers like last night when so much is riding on a season. I say enough of the talking – the standard is the standard, the next man up, excuses are for the incompetent. Put up as a coach and make good but bold decisions. By the way, the coaching seemed pretty incompetent last night, what’s your excuse, Tomlin?

I was going to write in here that if Tomlin had any good sense left in him that he should start Batch. Turns out good sense or none, he has no choice. Sources around the league speculate that Leftwich could be out with a rib and shoulder injury for a significant amount of time. Talk about some friggin’ deja vu. It looks like we’ll have good ol’ Charlie on Sunday against the Browns. The team will more than likely try out some QB’s during the week as Heath Miller is the next guy in line to throw the ball (uhhhhh, so do I yell ‘Heeeeeeeath‘ every time he completes a pass?????). I guess Dixon could come back seeing that he saw glimpses of the play book during the pre-season before he was cut.

The choices don’t get any better from there folks. We’re just going to have to hope for the best every week until we see Ben come back in a few weeks.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/19/steelers-loss-against-ravens-is-on-tomlin/

ebsteelers
11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
if you think tomlin is bad, imagine jimmy boy up in detroit as your coach..
yikes

lloydwoodson
11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
friend, don't defend Wallace tonight. He stunk up the joint. I think he's a decent player fully capable of stretching the filed, but he didn't show up tonight. On a night when we were desperately looking for players to step up, all he did was manage to step out.

Wallace is a good player. Every receiver this year has had a problem with drops. The fact is the Arians-generated hype about having the best wrs in the league is bs. The loss falls on Tomlin's shoulders for continuing to play Leftwich and his broken rib. Wallace's performance has not been very good. Hopefully this will drive down his market price and the Steelers can keep him.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Wallace is a good player. Every receiver this year has had a problem with drops. The fact is the Arians-generated hype about having the best wrs in the league is bs. The loss falls on Tomlin's shoulders for continuing to play Leftwich and his broken rib. Wallace's performance has not been very good. Hopefully this will drive down his market price and the Steelers can keep him.

Its not like his 6 touchdown mean anything this year anyways, just like his 30 Career touchdowns he has already. Almost everyone on this forum hates on Wallace but all he does is catch TDs, Yeah AB might show up in the clutch but still he only has 3 TDs, just think if Wallace was not with us this year we might have more then 4 losses

fer522
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
If it wasn't for the first downs that Brown,Miller, and Sanders get Wallace would only have 1 of 2 Tds :noidea:

OX1947
11-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I look forward to the end of the season when Wallace is out of a Steelers uniform and dropping and giving 50% effort on another team.