PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Think we need to bring in Batch?

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I've always thought Batch was clearly a better QB than Leftwiich. Our offense just hasn't done anything since the first drive. Time to bring in Batch!

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Yep.

steelfury02
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
couldn't hurt

sloppyjoe
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
haleys playcalling sucks tonight. and so do most of the offensive players

casteeler
11-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Everyone should realize that

Millers the sh!t
11-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes,

My girlfriend brought it up after the first quarter.

Cold Steel
11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I've always thought Batch was clearly a better QB than Leftwiich. Our offense just hasn't done anything since the first drive. Time to bring in Batch!
Totally agree especially after that bone head pick.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 10:29 PM
batch should have started the game. i don't know what tomlin likes about byron

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 11:07 PM
batch should have started the game. i don't know what tomlin likes about byron

I agree that Batch should have started. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 but I was honestly curious if Batch was hurt prior to the game. Batch is a much better fit for Haley's short passing game.

Pa Yankee
11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I really have not understood Tomlin's love affair with Byron Leftwich the last couple of years. When Batch was the starter after Byron went down last time, I felt that he was the better quarterback and should be starting over Leftwich. I do not care how old he is. I am sick of seeing Leftwich's crappy play and I am tired of seeing him get injured.

Lady Steel
11-18-2012, 11:20 PM
I've never liked Leftwich. He's made of glass and can't even be touched before he's broke. I keep giving him the benefit of the doubt, and he continues to disappoint. I don't know why the Steelers stick with him. They need to get rid of him once and for all and bring in someone new. I'm done with him.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:40 PM
leftwich hasn't won a game as a starter in years. batch is 5-2 as the starter for the steelers, i'd say the choice is clear? should have been clear?

Stangboy06
11-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Leftwich is a fat ***** Hurts himself falling down in the end zone I think he got hurt in the team picture one year Good job not bringing a backup quarterback in the camp for the last nine years What's been our hopes on 70-year-old Charlie batch

madtowndrunkard
11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Uh yea, DUH.... I'm fine with Leftwich until the 4th quarter.... it was obvious he was injured and couldn't make a deep pass.... We had Charlie Batch on the sideline. I'm not saying CB is the next montana or anything but he couldn't be better the BL in the 4th quarter? really? WTF is he doing then? BL couldn't throw the ball any deeper then 20 yards...that's a problem when you need 60 yards to get into FG range.... COACH TO WIN THE GAME!

TOMLIN deserves a big capital F.... Dick Lebeau's genius effort went to waste...sad when you boss has half the ability of the employees..... a low point for Tomlin for sure. I hope he learns from this.......

As for the offense...why not run more? that seemed to be our only chance at positive yards? It's bad enough to lose Ben... it means that everyone needs to step up... the defense did...our coaching staff sure did NOT.

i82much
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Ravens fan here - I agree. I never thought the dropoff from Ben to Batch was that great, and I say that with the utmost respect for what Ben does. I don't get it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 12:38 AM
I think that Batch floats passes that Ed Reed would have picked off at least two times tonight. He really doesnt offer anything better in arm strength, mobility and experience.

I've never understood the Steeler fans love affair with Batch. Other than him being a hometown guy.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I think that Batch floats passes that Ed Reed would have picked off at least two times tonight. He really doesnt offer anything better in arm strength, mobility and experience.

I've never understood the Steeler fans love affair with Batch. Other than him being a hometown guy.

He did a decent job in 2010. Only lost 1 game out of 4.

TRH
11-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Ravens fan here - I agree. I never thought the dropoff from Ben to Batch was that great, and I say that with the utmost respect for what Ben does. I don't get it.

there's a HUUUUUGE dropoff from Ben to Batch. I try and support everyone around here - but the fact is that Batch is terrible at best and Leftwich is only slightly better.

But this is what you get when you never address the backup QB situation......and our coaches haven't done that. There were much better guys floating around than these 2, i never understood why we haven't made a change here.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:44 AM

dropoff from ben to almost any qb in the league is great. he's easily top 5. with that said I didn't expect a win tonight without him there. but i do think batch is better than lefty, he would have connected on at least 50% while lefty was doing his best tim tebow impersonation

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
BRILLIANT!!! batch shoulda started!

where the hell have you guys been the last 4 years? batch woulda pulled a hammy getting up off the bench.

nevermind that, batch woulda never came close to even getting us our 1st and only td of the night.

with that being said, imma leave a box of kleenex to wipe up all the batchlove spooge offa this thread.

Yes,

My girlfriend brought it up after the first quarter.who the fuck cares what your GF thinks???

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I've never liked Leftwich. He's made of glass and can't even be touched before he's broke. I keep giving him the benefit of the doubt, and he continues to disappoint. I don't know why the Steelers stick with him. They need to get rid of him once and for all and bring in someone new. I'm done with him.:thumbsup:

the only reason we stick with him (and batch as well) is because we have had our salary cap backs against the wall and their salary is great when combined with the experience they bring..

when you look at seatlle, tenn. dallas, etc a solid backup is costing 4-7 mil/year.

we cant afford that.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 01:26 AM
BRILLIANT!!! batch shoulda started!

where the hell have you guys been the last 4 years? batch woulda pulled a hammy getting up off the bench.

nevermind that, batch woulda never came close to even getting us our 1st and only td of the night.

with that being said, imma leave a box of kleenex to wipe up all the batchlove spooge offa this thread.

who the fuck cares what your GF thinks???

:toofunny: This had me laughing. But seriously folks,Leftwich was a better fit for Arians offense. Batch is a better fit for Haley's short passing offense. Leftwich can not physically throw short routes. The diagram showing his throwing motion was hilarious. They did the Maddenesque telestrator thing where they showed how Leftwich starts throwing down by his hip and loops the ball up. Mike Wallace could run 20 yards in the time it takes Leftwich to throw the damn ball.

On a positive note, Haley did not lose his mind on the sidelines. I wonder who he would have played had it been his decision.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Id rather have Tebow then Leftwich....

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 01:46 AM
They need some youth in the backup position. I would've liked to see them keep Jerrod Johnson over Batch or Lefty. Sooner or later they have to start grooming Ben's successor especially considering his health issues.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 01:58 AM

So he played teams all by himself?? WOW, I must have missed that season.

Tough to suggest that OTHER players on the team might contribute to a win or loss. :noidea: If somebody tackles Jacoby Jones the fan base would be talking about Leftwich's run and the great defense.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 01:58 AM
I think that Batch and Leftwich are on equal footing in terms of their competence when healthy. I don't see one being significantly better than the other. I don't blame Leftwich for this game. He showed courage in fighting through his injury. It will be interesting to see what the injury is. I have a huge problem with Tomlin not playing Batch. To me a coach should never show that amount of lack of confidence in his players.

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Bash Tomlin's game management, then suggest bringing in a noodle-armed 37 year old who can't hit the broad side of a barn. Yup, seems like a logical response.

We're overreacting to a loss in which the Ravens didn't deserve to win.

Blonde Bomber
11-19-2012, 07:15 AM
He showed courage in fighting through his injury.

I thought he was going to start crying out there. At least if Batch got hit and came up lame we could have said to ourselves, "Well he is old, that probably hurt him."

But Leftwich seemed like he missed the sidelines. " Hey they are hitting me really hard out there" We might not have to cut him after that game, he might just quit.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
So he played teams all by himself?? WOW, I must have missed that season.

Tough to suggest that OTHER players on the team might contribute to a win or loss. :noidea: If somebody tackles Jacoby Jones the fan base would be talking about Leftwich's run and the great defense.

If we would have won the game, I would still be here complaining that Leftwhich was horrible. Which he was. I'm not saying starting him was the wrong decision, but keeping him in when he couldn't even throw the ball without pain was. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
If we would have won the game, I would still be here complaining that Leftwhich was horrible. Which he was. I'm not saying starting him was the wrong decision, but keeping him in when he couldn't even throw the ball without pain was. :noidea:

I'll agree that the 4th quarter with Lefty seemingly injured, they could have looked at Batch. I still think both of them are barely mediocre and that Batch's arm strength is a huge liability.

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I understand why Tomlin went with Leftwich but the planning behind it never panned out.

I think what he was hoping was that we could get a good running game going so that we could really sell play action and then go deep to take advantage of Lefty's arm. But I really believe that Lefty hurt himself on his TD roll and simply didn't have the arm strength.

That was very noticeable towards the end of the game when he rolled out and stopped to throw deep for Wallace. He seemed to put everything he had into that pass and it came up WAY short which is not what I'd expect from him. I mean, he may not be Ben in most respects but Lefty DOES have a cannon for an arm but most of his long pass attempts seemed to have nothing on them and those last few passes were certainly not cannon shots. I think Tomlin knew Lefty was hurt but as long as he wanted to stay in he was OK with that because I don't think he wanted to risk getting Charlie banged up.

It almost worked but there was no timing or chemistry (understandably) and it showed on many crossing routes with the ball being delivered too late in most cases. Let's face it, the chemistry that exists between Ben and Miller, Wallace and Sanders is something that as taken a long time to develop and no replacement QB is going to have that no matter how much practice they have.

Put another way, if Ben was healthy I could easily have seen us blowing the Ratbirds out of the stadium. But without the "finesse" passing and the unspoken signals and moves that Ben and his receivers have developed over time, we became strictly one-dimensional and thus an easy target.

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Batch didn't lose any games in '10....but he only started 2 of them. Dixon started the other 2 (Falcons and Ravens). Can't remember if Batch was hurt for the Ravens game or not.

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Wow, Lefty was fine till the 4th Qrtr, yeah, he is not Ben, but we drove for a TD, we drove for a FG, he did enough for us to have a chance. SOMEONE should have taken him out of the game when it was OBVIOUS he couldnt throw the ball. Batch gave us the best chance to win at the end and that is on the coach.

Stairway to 7
11-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I wanted him to start, not Sandwich, hopefully Sandwich can't go on Sunday.

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow, Lefty was fine till the 4th Qrtr, yeah, he is not Ben, but we drove for a TD, we drove for a FG, he did enough for us to have a chance. SOMEONE should have taken him out of the game when it was OBVIOUS he couldnt throw the ball. Batch gave us the best chance to win at the end and that is on the coach.

This is how I feel! Byron should have been honest and said bring in Batch, even more so, Tomlin should have made the move!!!

All I know is, we NEEEEEED to draft a young QB high and get rid of the old guys!

nj1923steelgirl
11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Batch should get the start vs the Browns...Im not sure Lefty is quite what the team needs

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
we shoulda drafted russell wilson :chuckle:

hindsight is a mofo

Ricco Suavez
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
What the Steelers should of done is kept one old veteran backup and kept one young QB to develop this year as a future backup. There will come a time when we need to look for Ben's replacement, (just don't think that time has come yet) but the time is now to find a replacement for our old backups.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The thing is, I think even if Tomlin had pulled Lefty, he would have been right back in there before the end. Take a look at that blindside sack Leftwich ate. I honestly believe that would have broken Batch in half.

I almost wonder if maybe they left him in there to see if the line could play well enough to keep batch alive out there. Experiment failed. You can't let Batch or Lefty absorb shots like that on the blind side. They can't take it.

WVABE
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Duct tape a tight end to Mike Adams and start Charlie, he'll be fine.