PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Special Team

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:09 PM
So how does everyone feel about our special teams? My opinion is it seems weak and unorganized. There is too much dancing with the ball and not enough run it hard and pound it in there.

jiminpa
11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd call them special ed teams, but that would be an insult to special needs children everywhere. It's been a glaring weakness for years, but Tomlin is a status quo kind of guy, so I don't look to it getting fixed as long as he is head coach.

jjpro11
11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
F-

Cost us the game.

FacemeIke
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I don't get how we couldn't block their gunners even once all game. We had a few returns for a couple of yards, but really every punt could have been a fair catch

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
We can't win games if we don't have all 3 phases working together we can't win games.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Special teams blew it tonight. Albeit, if we have a capable QB in this game we win by 20+ pts and this is a non-issue, but unfortunately we didn't have that.

TRH
11-18-2012, 11:31 PM
D-

I'm not sure many people realize what a grave that our sorry-a** special teams digs for this team.
It seems like every time WE run back a kick-off, we're lucky to make it to the 20. Our opponents are consistently getting to the 30, 35, and sometimes worse when THEY receive kickoffs.
Those few times we do get the quick stop, the dummies are committing penalities to kill everything. Other teams are getting decent to great field position.
Only reason i'm not giving them an F is because Suisham is considered "special teams"

Chadmagic
11-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Take away that one play and we win. Of course you could say the same about Wallaces fumble.
Its a team sport. And when one phase sucks, it costs the entire team. That was clearly shown tonight.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
While Suisham has done nice on FG's his consistent kickoffs to the 5 yard line piss me the hell off

First Jeff Reed and now him, unless we're in Denver, we aren't getting no damn touchbacks and it's tiring

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Suisham is very weak on kickoffs and it is costing the team. I like the new punter and the return game was good when Brown was in there.

jiminpa
11-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Suisham is not a good kicker. Reed was not a good kicker, but he improved for a while, and regressed. But again, it goes with Mike Tomlin's status quo philosophy. Replace a bad place kicker with one just as bad, and stick with him. All of special teams is horrible, except that we have returners who can make something out of nothing sometimes, which gives the appearance of competence.

TRH
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Suisham is not a good kicker. Reed was not a good kicker, but he improved for a while, and regressed. But again, it goes with Mike Tomlin's status quo philosophy. Replace a bad place kicker with one just as bad, and stick with him. All of special teams is horrible, except that we have returners who can make something out of nothing sometimes, which gives the appearance of competence.

Suisham may not be the best kicker in the league - or have an extremely strong foot like a Phil Dawson - but at least he's pretty solid.
The thing is....the rest of our ST crew is doing so poorly...that Suisham shines like a star.

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Special Teams obviously screwed up, but I really wouldn't hang this loss on them.

That punt return occurred very early in the game and only put Baltimore up by 3 points.
We had the rest of the game to tie or take the lead and we couldn't do it.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm with you here, but really, we're struggling extremely hard with the salary cap. We will be for quite some time, as well, because we keep restructuring gigantic contracts and then owing dead money. We can not afford to go get a top notch kicker right now. We can not afford to waste draft picks on a kicker right now. We need picks to shore up the D in a big way, or that side of the ball will be coming apart in the next few years. We needed OL the same last year, or Ben would be retiring in a year or two from the beatings.

Yea, Suisham is just OK, but we need to prioritize, and get players in that can replace the giant wasted contracts that are dragging us down.

Stairway to 7
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Awful, poor coverage Suishan has sushi for a leg, and we hardly ever get a team pinned back down inside their 10. We lost the field position game all night.

Short legged kicker and poor time-management, not a recipe for success.

ChristianKustomz
11-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Do you see the special teams getting better by next weeks game? Do you think they need more practice or just a whole new defensive strategy or an entirely different group of guys. Is it possible to make something happen with the players we have or is there just not enough talent to make anything good of it?

stb_steeler
11-21-2012, 02:56 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q88/jklin83/Movies/Forrest%20Gump/thchocs.gif

ChristianKustomz
11-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I think this weeks game should prove if they have pulled there lines together. I would like to see a fueled fired straight run and not this jump around game they have been doing all year. I don't understand why they don't get the ball and run it hard down the lines. It works but they keep doing this jump left then right then go backwards before trying to go forward. If you know your going to get hit then run it hard and make the tackler pay for it!

Just my opinion.