PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to the defense

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:21 PM
They played a great game today imo. They played well enough to win, and gave our offenses plenty of chances. They took 2 of their biggest players out of the game (smith and rice), unfortunately our offense and special teams let us down.

With that said, at least sweep the damn browns :chuckle: Oh yeah and beat the cowboys whatever you do.

All we have to do is do well enough to go 10-6, If ben and troy are back and healthy in time for playoffs i feel good about how the playoffs may unfold. Keep the faith guys.

lardlad
11-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Defense was TERRIFIC tonight. I was worried, I have to admit, that Flacco was going to kill us deep because our pressure has been lacking. They really stepped up.

Seriously worried about the QB situation.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Defense was TERRIFIC tonight. I was worried, I have to admit, that Flacco was going to kill us deep because our pressure has been lacking. They really stepped up.

Seriously worried about the QB situation.

I hear you, but we only ride as far as #7 takes us, that's been known for years. Against playoff teams, we need him. We just need to get #7 healthy and byron / batch enough to do well enough to get us into playoff position and we will be OK

If ben's not good to go by season's end though, that's the season.

We have the bengals at home, the browns twice, and dallas (who usually fade in december). I'm still optimistic about 10-6 and being a dangerous wildcard team

lardlad
11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
How bad those Radiers and Titans losses hurt now!!

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:32 PM
How bad those Radiers and Titans losses hurt now!!

yes but there's no looking back now, those games already happened. all that's left is the games remaining on the schedule, let's go!

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Defense was nothing short of stellar. Both Flacco and Rice accomplished virtually nothing. Ike covered Torrey's ass so hard that I don't believe he caught a pass all night. Great job by the D. HORRIBLE job by Special Teams. Bad job overall by the offense. Our line was pretty bad too tonight.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Also, did anyone notice how much better Cam Heyward was filling in for Ziggy Hood? That man should be starting.

Chadmagic
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Our D played a stellar game! I cannot fault them a single bit in this loss. Everyone on that side of the ball played with heart and enthusiasm. GREAT JOB!

lardlad
11-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Lewis is almost amazing. He is going to be so good… He's almost there now. Wow the guy gets his hands on the ball. Usually our corners are there to tackle. Nice to see these plays.

Taylors almost pic was the greatest non-pick play I think I've seen him make. I never see him go up and over a receiver and grab the ball. Too bad he didn't hang on.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Our defense was intense today and played their hearts out today. Thy have been getting better and better every game. It's a shame our special teams are failing and offensive plays weak. But our defense is solid and really looked good.

A+

steelbelieve
11-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Lewis is almost amazing. He is going to be so good… He's almost there now. Wow the guy gets his hands on the ball. Usually our corners are there to tackle. Nice to see these plays.

Taylors almost pic was the greatest non-pick play I think I've seen him make. I never see him go up and over a receiver and grab the ball. Too bad he didn't hang on.

Amen. The whole secondary has quietly emerged as the strength of the defense. I think we can be even better once Troy gets back, with no disrespect to Will Allen whom I think has played very well.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Maybe Troy will return at 150% and reach critical mass and save us all!

Right guys?

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:59 PM
They played their asses off, only problem I had was that we didn't get much pressure on Unibrow til late in the game

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Some talking heads on the radio were talking about how PITT's defense didn't cause any turnovers, and that THAT was the different win the game.

I almost puked.

The defense STOPPED the Raven's cold. I do not care if they didn't get a turnover, they gave up THREE points!!!

7 points cam on a punt return.
3 points came off a fumble insidee of the red-zone.
Ergo, the defense only gave up three points.

Re-sign Keenan Lewis. Use his best friend's (i.e. Wallace) money. Now, THAT would be awesome.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Maybe Troy will return at 150% and reach critical mass and save us all!

Right guys?

No but i agree with the above poster saying give a big FU to wallace and re-sign keenan

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Some talking heads on the radio were talking about how PITT's defense didn't cause any turnovers, and that THAT was the different win the game.

I almost puked.

The defense STOPPED the Raven's cold. I do not care if they didn't get a turnover, they gave up THREE points!!!

7 points cam on a punt return.
3 points came off a fumble insidee of the red-zone.
Ergo, the defense only gave up three points.

Re-sign Keenan Lewis. Use his best friend's (i.e. Wallace) money. Now, THAT would be awesome.

To be honest, we are almost dead last in the league on both turnovers and sacks. I don't think it made the difference tonight, but it adds up.

Also, did anyone notice James Harrison had the weakest sack in NFL history tonight?

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:06 AM
To be honest, we are almost dead last in the league on both turnovers and sacks. I don't think it made the difference tonight, but it adds up.

Also, did anyone notice James Harrison had the weakest sack in NFL history tonight?

Trust me, splash plays (turnovers & sacks) are critical... but, on a night where the defense held an opponent to 3 points, I do not think that the "defense was the problem" as these radio meat-heads were saying.

Make sense?

I agree with you: more sacks & turnovers lead to more wins.

I disagree with the radio: this loss was solely on the offense & ST.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Oh I agree with you there for sure. You couldn't of asked our defense for more tonight. They were great. I feel like it was such a wasted effort and we might not see that level again now. I sure hope I'm wrong.

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Oh I agree with you there for sure. You couldn't of asked our defense for more tonight. They were great. I feel like it was such a wasted effort and we might not see that level again now. I sure hope I'm wrong.

I actually think that this defense is just beginning to rev up.

First, they hold teams to 3 points.
Then, they start getting sacks.
After that, turnovers.
In a month or so, they'll be on the register... and that's when the big bucks will start rolling in.

[In all seriousness, I see the defense getting better every week.]

steelbelieve
11-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Trust me, splash plays (turnovers & sacks) are critical... but, on a night where the defense held an opponent to 3 points, I do not think that the "defense was the problem" as these radio meat-heads were saying.

Make sense?

I agree with you: more sacks & turnovers lead to more wins.

I disagree with the radio: this loss was solely on the offense & ST.

No question, turnovers are vitally important, but if they continue to improve at their current pace--particularly the secondary--they will come

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:10 AM
No question, turnovers are vitally important, but if they continue to improve at their current pace--particularly the secondary--they will come

I was just typing that. Great minds...

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
The adjustments that Lebeau and the players have made have saved the season. If the offense could catch up to the D, this team would be unstoppable.

dez09231
11-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Defense was stellar. Shutting down Flacco isn't saying much, but taking Smith and Rice out of the game is pretty impressive. If Harrison and Woodley or Troy can get back to 85% of what they were a few years ago, we can make a realistic run at it.

Pentheon
11-19-2012, 01:08 AM
defense was great, coverage was good, stopping the run was just as good if not better. As well as we played tonight, we still need to get more pressure and force turnovers. We're not doing much of either, we send a huge blitz and barely anyone seems to get through.

Something I hope to see more production from starting next week

BleedPurple
11-19-2012, 10:30 AM
They played a great game today imo. They played well enough to win, and gave our offenses plenty of chances. They took 2 of their biggest players out of the game (smith and rice), unfortunately our offense and special teams let us down.

With that said, at least sweep the damn browns :chuckle: Oh yeah and beat the cowboys whatever you do.

All we have to do is do well enough to go 10-6, If ben and troy are back and healthy in time for playoffs i feel good about how the playoffs may unfold. Keep the faith guys.

I have to agree, I was very disappointed with the way our offense played last night and I believe most of the reason for that is the Steelers defense, especially the CB play. I am looking forward to the rematch.

P.S. Is it just me or does Ike Taylor look like Ken Griffey Jr. after he overdoses on nerve tonic in Home at the Bat:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100919202721/simpsons/images/b/be/HatB_-_Ken_Griffey_Jr's_misfortune.png

67 calsteel
11-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Harrison's sack was weak but not the weakest.
Winner Michael Strahan's sack on Brett Favre for single season record.Take your dive Favre

GoFor7
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
The adjustments that Lebeau and the players have made have saved the season. If the offense could catch up to the D, this team would be unstoppable.

It would help if the defense gave the offense turnovers and shorter fields. This defense is good as far as yards and points go, but they do not make splash plays anymore. Some of you really need to take off the black and gold yinzer glasses and see this.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Harrison's sack was weak but not the weakest.
Winner Michael Strahan's sack on Brett Favre for single season record.Take your dive Favre

flacco looked like he wasn't gonna throw that ball unless for sure he had a shot that was so easy he'd have no choice to take. it was a play that was designed to take 5 more seconds off the clock

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Hell yeah! Nice game D! We will need it too next week becasue the Clown's aren't that bad. they shoot themselves in teh foot but teh fact that we cannot produce turnovers may level the playing field a bit. Need to sign another back up QB an dlet Batch start!

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Lewis is Digest Player of Week

Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

When playing the Ravens, it’s equally important to control the running of Ray Rice as well as the passing of Joe Flacco. CB Keenan Lewis had a hand in doing both.

Lewis led the team with 10 tackles, including one for loss, and broke up two passes to key a defensive effort in which the Ravens punted eight of the 11 times they had the ball.

Lewis is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were: LaMarr Woodley, who had five tackles, one sack and two hits on the quarterback; James Harrison, who had eight tackles, including one for loss, and a sack; and Ike Taylor, who held Torrey Smith to one catch for 7 yards.

As a whole, the Steelers defense deserves kudos for their performance over the course of the game’s 60 minutes. In 11 offensive possessions that weren’t kneel-downs, the Ravens were forced to punt eight times and missed a field goal on a ninth. Rice managed only 40 yards on 20 carries, and the Ravens finished with 200 net yards of offense.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Lewis-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/9b38e31d-ee78-4f60-aee7-18dae5d0bea7

Blackout
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I saw Harrison got a QB sack last night, but could the lack of sacks be because he isn't what he used to be before the injury?

teegre
11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I have to agree, I was very disappointed with the way our offense played last night and I believe most of the reason for that is the Steelers defense, especially the CB play. I am looking forward to the rematch.

P.S. Is it just me or does Ike Taylor look like Ken Griffey Jr. after he overdoses on nerve tonic in Home at the Bat:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100919202721/simpsons/images/b/be/HatB_-_Ken_Griffey_Jr's_misfortune.png

Okay...now, THAT was clever. :sofunny:

My brother always looks to the sideline, and says, "Ike, put your helmet back on!!!"

LayingTheWoodley56
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
All of the fools who were trashing Lebeau in his system: hat, meet hand. Admit that you were wrong, because this D is typically excellent.

FrancoLambert
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Keenan Lewis is really raising the level of his play on a consistent basis.