PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the #1 RB?

bhandsome08
11-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Personally, I think Dwyer should be the starter. He's been the more effective runner this season.
Mendy was a such a disappointment tonight. Spin moves and dancing side to side, when his o-line gave him holes to hit. He should be looking straight ahead and hit the damn hole like Dwyer has been doing.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:46 PM
i'm a huge mendenhall supporter, but I have to say dwyer, he's been the most consistent this year

TRH
11-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Mendenhall is not - and will never - be one of the elite backs in the league. I've never liked him. I'd personally be happy with Dwyer and Redman (and whomever else might join the team next year or beyond).

stb_steeler
11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Alot of us think it should be Dwyer but for some reason the coaches dont see it that way.

SteelersCanada
11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
We don't have a number one back.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:52 PM
We need a clone of Adrian Peterson.

(one can dream)

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Dwyer without a doubt

teegre
Dwyer... for two plays. LOL

casteeler
11-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Dwyer, Mendy can get with Hines and joins Dancing with the stars

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 11:57 PM
I think Dwyer and Redman should split time equally. Mendenhall is a good choice for a 3rd down back I think. I wonder if Mendenhall was cut tomorrow if that would clear enough cap space to hire Donovan McNabb? You think I'm joking but I'm not. :toofunny:

stb_steeler
11-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I think Dwyer and Redman should split time equally. Mendenhall is a good choice for a 3rd down back I think. I wonder if Mendenhall was cut tomorrow if that would clear enough cap space to hire Donovan McNabb? You think I'm joking but I'm not. :toofunny:

OH Gawd dont ever let that happen (McNabb) on the Steelers, id never hear the end of that around here.....:doh:

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:59 PM

McNabb hasn't been conditioning or anything though. He wouldn't be game ready for weeks.

Chadmagic
11-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Dwyer all day! He proves himself game after game. Yet, Haley and Tomlin are stuck to Mendenhalls junk by their lips. IDK what thats all about.

If you start in 3 games and run for over 100yards each game...and you are not a starter?...then you need to think about playing for another team...

JWashington
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
McNabb plays a lot of pick up basketball these days. May not take him too long.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Dwyer all day! He proves himself game after game. Yet, Haley and Tomlin are stuck to Mendenhalls junk by their lips. IDK what thats all about.

If you start in 3 games and run for over 100yards each game...and you are not a starter?...then you need to think about playing for another team...

Yeah that is an epidemic on the Steelers. Heyward is outplaying both Keisel and Hood. Worilds is outplaying Harrison. McLendon is outplaying Hampton. At least Allen is finally above Mundy on the depth chart.

Seems obvious now that Lewis should have been given the nod over Gay much sooner as well. I think Spencer would have seen some decent playing time had he been healthy. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to see if Sylvester could be a starting ILB.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 12:09 AM
McNabb plays a lot of pick up basketball these days. My not take him too long.

He couldn't be any fatter than Ben was two years ago. :applaudit:

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah that is an epidemic on the Steelers. Heyward is outplaying both Keisel and Hood. Worilds is outplaying Harrison. McLendon is outplaying Hampton. At least Allen is finally above Mundy on the depth chart.

Seems obvious now that Lewis should have been given the nod over Gay much sooner as well. I think Spencer would have seen some decent playing time had he been healthy. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to see if Sylvester could be a starting ILB.

Oh God you just reminded me that William Gay exists :banging:

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Before I get fired on from all sides for saying Worilds is outplaying Harrison I think Harrison is the best OLB the Steelers have ever had. That is quite a statement considering Ham (4-3 OLB but OLB nonetheless), Greene, Lloyd and Porter have been exceptional players. Just imagine though if Harrison had been given the nod sooner and bookended the line with Peezy in place of Haggans. The window of excellence for NFL players is so small you have to give guys a shot early. If a player has a lot of upside I think it is worth the risk. Trial by fire.

I really want Heyward to start. I think he could be the next Richard Seymour. I think he is going to be a really special player.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Oh God you just reminded me that William Gay exists :banging:

Yeah it was an agonizing couple of years watching Gay fail week in and week out. Then in his final season with the Steelers he was finally serviceable right before being shipped out never to be heard from again.

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:20 AM

No one caught this.

I think Dwyer is amazing... but, I get tired of seeing him "tap out" after two consecutive run plays.

If he could get in shape, he'd be the obvious starter; as it is, I think the RB-by-commitee is the best way to go.

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Dwyer is a better north south runner by far. Plus he fights for extra yards effectively. The problem I saw from him tonight was that he kept pulling himself out of the game. Not sure if its the injury or his stamina but I'd rather see him in there most of the time.

bhandsome08
11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Dwyer is a better north south runner by far. Plus he fights for extra yards effectively. The problem I saw from him tonight was that he kept pulling himself out of the game. Not sure if its the injury or his stamina but I'd rather see him in there most of the time.

Even before the injury, he would still take himself out of the game after consecutive run plays.
I think he'd be effective if they give the ball 15-20 times a game. I think Rainey should get a bit more touches also. Since Defenses always seem to drop back when he's in the game.

Bayz101
11-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Mendenhall certainly didn't light up the stat-sheet, but you have to remember how god-awful our offensive line played in general. In recent years, our backup running backs have ALWAYS played lights out, and that brings a LOT of criticism to the starting running back. The fact of the matter is that these guys are coming off the bench, making plays, and heading right back to relax and repeat the whole process. Dwyer has already show numerous times that he's easily winded in a starter role. Not saying that's impossible to overcome, but I believe it's something that could prevent him from ever taking the #1 depth chart spot.

I honestly believe Redman will be the starter before Dwyer, and that's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Personally, I think Dwyer should be the starter. He's been the more effective runner this season.
Mendy was a such a disappointment tonight. Spin moves and dancing side to side, when his o-line gave him holes to hit. He should be looking straight ahead and hit the damn hole like Dwyer has been doing.

The starting RB should be either DWYER, DWYER or DWYER.

Mendy may be healthy, but he's no "up-the-middle" back and he never has been.
Redman is a close second to Dwyer, but he's had a bad run of injuries lately. I don't know if he's fragile or just unlucky, but Dwyer seems to be ready to go all the time.

Not only that, but many fans and talking heads see Dwyer as the second coming of Bettis (I've been saying that myself since the pre-season) and that has value in itself in that it serves to fire him up even more to "live up to" Bettis' reputation. Dwyer runs a lot like Bussie in that he doesn't stop when he's hit and often gains more yards AFTER he's hit than he gained BEFORE he was hit -- which was Bettis' stock-in-trade.

I think Dwyer has earned the right to start and Haley needs to design a running game based on him and his abilities -- which should be easy since all he'd have to do is just watch film of Bettis and take some notes.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Mendy as long as he remains here. Dwyer had 2 good games and did NOTHING the rest. He is not physically capable of being a starter. No amount of silly cheering will give him the conditioning he needs to make it. he took the lions share of the carries and put up a whopping 55 yards.

The reason we didn't run him more last night is because he kept signaling that he is not able to go, and needed to come out. Maybe he'll do some work over the offseason and fix this, but until he shows he can go, he's second string for life. Come back after he puts up back to back 1000 yard seasons and we'll talk it over again. Has even managed to score a single touchdown in his entire career yet?

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Mendy as long as he remains here. Dwyer had 2 good games and did NOTHING the rest. He is not physically capable of being a starter. No amount of silly cheering will give him the conditioning he needs to make it. he took the lions share of the carries and put up a whopping 55 yards.

The reason we didn't run him more last night is because he kept signaling that he is not able to go, and needed to come out. Maybe he'll do some work over the offseason and fix this, but until he shows he can go, he's second string for life. Come back after he puts up back to back 1000 yard seasons and we'll talk it over again. Has even managed to score a single touchdown in his entire career yet?

And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?

madtowndrunkard
11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Mendy has not been healthy. So it's pretty tough to criticize his play this year..he's not really played much.

He still has his speed... I think he needs to build up his strength a bit - which takes playing time to do so. I personally think Mendy and Dyer are a perfect 1-2 punch. Right now Dyer is the better RB.... when both are healthy they are both good RB's..and in the NFL you need 2 good running backs.... we have 3. so I'm pretty happy about that.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 09:57 AM
And Mendy has done what?

Anyone?

Anyone?

I know we'll always disagree here...but what Mendy has done, is more yards in a single season than both Dwyer and Redman combined. More touchdowns than Dwyer and Redman combined can even imagine.

I'll make you a deal, though. Since you seem to want to disregard 3 full seasons of Mendenhall putting up 1st string numbers, how about you go ahead and throw out the Cincy and Skins game, then tell me what Dwyer has done? I keep seeing posts saying things like "Dwyer has proven game after game"...yea, except he hasn't. he had 2 good games, and the others he didn't do anything. The guy has started what, 5 games? And has 410 yards, and ZERO TD's. Where's his body of work?

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Mendy has not been healthy. So it's pretty tough to criticize his play this year..he's not really played much.

He still has his speed... I think he needs to build up his strength a bit - which takes playing time to do so. I personally think Mendy and Dyer are a perfect 1-2 punch. Right now Dyer is the better RB.... when both are healthy they are both good RB's..and in the NFL you need 2 good running backs.... we have 3. so I'm pretty happy about that.

And speed means nothing when it comes to breaking through an "A" gap.
Power is what makes that work and Mendy doesn't have that kind of power.

Like I've said a million times, Mendy's at his best when running off tackle or as a receiver out of the backfield. But he's no power back and never will be.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 10:05 AM
And speed means nothing when it comes to breaking through an "A" gap.
Power is what makes that work and Mendy doesn't have that kind of power.

Like I've said a million times, Mendy's at his best when running off tackle or as a receiver out of the backfield. But he's no power back and never will be.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. One of Dwyers longest runs last night he actually had a rare hole pushed open by the line. He cleared it with no contact, then had his after contact yardage. But who's to say if that was Mendy who go the benefit of actually having blocking he might not have taken off? The biggest running games this year have come when the line began opening solid gaps. Mendy hasn't had the benefit of any of those so far this year.

Stairway to 7
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Not spinthenfall.

FanSince72
11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Not spinthenfall.

Rashard Spinthenfall.

I like that! :thumbsup:

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Uugh, you always bring up that crap about how Mendy has had more yards than both Dwyer and Redman, gee if he is the designated starter for his entire career and gets the bulk of the carries he will have more yards and TDs, it is simple math. Answer this, who averages more ypc? Now take that average and multiply times the total number of carries Mendy was given and let me know how that works out. I think if you design a run game around Dwyer or Redman, then as a back up the other plays to the same strengths. We wont have that home run back, but honestly how did Rice do last night? That power game is working and in the 4th the def was tired out like when we had the bus and we were able to run over them. I think Mendy walks after this season, salary cap space will come into play and he just isnt needed.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Uugh, you always bring up that crap about how Mendy has had more yards than both Dwyer and Redman, gee if he is the designated starter for his entire career and gets the bulk of the carries he will have more yards and TDs, it is simple math. Answer this, who averages more ypc? Now take that average and multiply times the total number of carries Mendy was given and let me know how that works out. I think if you design a run game around Dwyer or Redman, then as a back up the other plays to the same strengths. We wont have that home run back, but honestly how did Rice do last night? That power game is working and in the 4th the def was tired out like when we had the bus and we were able to run over them. I think Mendy walks after this season, salary cap space will come into play and he just isnt needed.

Ok, so you want to take a small slice of plays and use the stats from them, and ignore another guys entire career performance to compare in a more favorable light? We can do that too. So in the Oakland game, using you formula, Dwyer would come out to -11 yards if he had taken the starting back share, at his average of -.3 YPC for that day. Sounds like a bang up performance we missed out on there.

Or how about that KC game, where he took more carries than he did in either of his 100 yard games, yet only managed 56 yards? And how many yards will you be spotting him with this silly math before you start spotting him some TD's? I mean, all these imaginary theory yards are really helping out our run game, but the guy has started like 5 games now and hasn't produced a single TD.

And hey, how about that game where he split the carries evenly with Redman, our OTHER top 5 in the league back, and they combined for an amazing 50 yards! Yea, that's the answer to our woes on offense right there.

Penn
11-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Dwyer was calling for a sub frequently in the game. It was abundantly clear at two points in the game after only 2 or 3 plays. They zoomed in on him jogging to the sideline motioning for a sub. He looks good when he runs but he has to have more endurance to be the work horse

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Dwyer was calling for a sub frequently in the game. It was abundantly clear at two points in the game after only 2 or 3 plays. They zoomed in on him jogging to the sideline motioning for a sub. He looks good when he runs but he has to have more endurance to be the work horse

None of his fans seem to want to speak to this. It's all about how he would be putting up 100+ yards a game every game if they let him run. Or asking why he keeps getting pulled out for long stretches. HE CAN NOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP.

TheVet
11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Mendenhall has firmly established himself as #3. Dwyer is healthy and has been producing most consistently, so he gets the nod for now over Redman.

FrancoLambert
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Dwyer. I've always been quick to declare Mendy as our best back when fully healthy but right now no.

SuperSteelers
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
None of his fans seem to want to speak to this. It's all about how he would be putting up 100+ yards a game every game if they let him run. Or asking why he keeps getting pulled out for long stretches. HE CAN NOT PHYSICALLY KEEP UP.

I was one of his biggest fans 'til last night. I love to watch his physical running style, one that I haven't seen since Bettis played. He runs with force, takes, hits, (usually) doesn't fumble, and gets 1st downs.

But when the team needed him the most, when they needed points desperately, he runs off to the sidelines...

Sorry, not acceptable.

Mendy is not the answer, but neither is Dwyer.

cubanstogie
11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
I was one of his biggest fans 'til last night. I love to watch his physical running style, one that I haven't seen since Bettis played. He runs with force, takes, hits, (usually) doesn't fumble, and gets 1st downs.

But when the team needed him the most, when they needed points desperately, he runs off to the sidelines...

Sorry, not acceptable.

Mendy is not the answer, but neither is Dwyer.

you could honestly make an argument against both of them. Not really for, but against. I would go with Dwyer, he was obviously more successful and I like his running style better. The fact that he takes himself out of the game hopefully is due to injuries and lack of practice. If he could stay healthy its possible he could get in better shape.Not a fan of Mendy.

BlaZeQuietly
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Dwyer! Been saying it from day one, glad some people are finally coming around. He runs hard in the right direction.

pittpete
11-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Yah Mr. I'm always looking at the sidelines

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
It should not be but it will be Mendenhall - once you get a gig with Tomlin (Aaron Smith/Mendy/Leftwich as the default backup for Ben) you keep it regardless of performance

I am sold on Dwyer

Rick5895
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Ee need to sign Dryer long term (3 years) . I believe he can be a 1200 yard runner.

kent
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Getting so sick of twinkletoes not hitting the holes. Dwyer should start and have redman fill in when tired. Rainey/batch should turn into good 3rd down backs.

Lokki
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Dwyer, but they will stay with Mendy

steeltheone
11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Sorry, not acceptable.

Mendy is not the answer, but neither is Dwyer. Dwyer is an average NFL back, nothing he does is any better than any other back his size.

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Dwyer. And Tomlin went from going with the "hot-hand" to doing exactly the opposite last night and playing both of them about equally. EVEN though Dwyer was showing more productivity. That plus not pulling an obviously injured Leftwich should give him a big fat F of a grade for the game. Just sayin...

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Dwyer. And Tomlin went from going with the "hot-hand" to doing exactly the opposite last night and playing both of them about equally. EVEN though Dwyer was showing more productivity.

Maybe I should just put this in my sig since everyone keeps skipping it when people post it in here. Dwyer repeatedly took himself out, because he is too gassed to keep going. He's done this every game he's had to do any amount of actual running. Go back and watch those games, and you will indeed see him tapping out, then going to the sidelines so he can attempt to recover. He lacks the conditioning to play as many carries as you all want to give him.

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
At this point, no one can say that Dwyer isn't going to be a great NFL back. AND, no one can say he will be! What support would you have for either of those statements? His 4 or so NFL starts? In what season was he given any type of extended playing time and he didn't perform? All I do know is that they talk about his "quick feet" and that seems to be a rarity amonst big backs so I do think he has something that other backs his size don't have. Otherwise, no one would be talking about it. The guy looked good last night when he got the ball.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
At this point, no one can say that Dwyer isn't going to be a great NFL back. AND, no one can say he will be! What support would you have for either of those statements? His 4 or so NFL starts? In what season was he given any type of extended playing time and he didn't perform? All I do know is that they talk about his "quick feet" and that seems to be a rarity amonst big backs so I do think he has something that other backs his size don't have. Otherwise, no one would be talking about it. The guy looked good last night when he got the ball.

When has he had extended playing time and proved he COULD perform? He's had 5 double digit carry games this year, and between those he combined for about 350 yards and ZERO TD's. Several of those games he repeatedly tapped out because he was too gassed to keep going. How can you justify him getting more carries when he himself wants to come out of the game?

Out of those games his two biggies were against The Skins and Cincy. Out of those, he failed to break 55 yards against Baltimore and KC, two of the worst rushing defenses in the league right now. You know what the difference is between Dwyer, the guy who bagged my groceries at Giant Eagle today, and the girl who refills the coffee pots at Sheetz? The grocery bagger and the Sheetz girl could both put up over 60 yards rushing against KC. Dwyer was busy signaling nap time to the bench.

If you want the guy higher up the depth chart, that's your thing. You'll get your wish next year. But if he can't find some better conditioning over the summer you're going to be pretty sorry when he starts tapping his helmet and the cupboard is bare on the bench. If Redman doesn't sign, do you really trust Dwyer out there with nobody but Rainey and Batch spelling him? So far Batch has upfield vision about on par with Mr Magoo. Rainey is a little small to take too much wear and tear, and Batch couldn't find a hole if he had a SEAL team spotter calling out directions for him.

kent
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
When has he had extended playing time and proved he COULD perform? He's had 5 double digit carry games this year, and between those he combined for about 350 yards and ZERO TD's. Several of those games he repeatedly tapped out because he was too gassed to keep going. How can you justify him getting more carries when he himself wants to come out of the game?

Out of those games his two biggies were against The Skins and Cincy. Out of those, he failed to break 55 yards against Baltimore and KC, two of the worst rushing defenses in the league right now. You know what the difference is between Dwyer, the guy who bagged my groceries at Giant Eagle today, and the girl who refills the coffee pots at Sheetz? The grocery bagger and the Sheetz girl could both put up over 60 yards rushing against KC. Dwyer was busy signaling nap time to the bench.

If you want the guy higher up the depth chart, that's your thing. You'll get your wish next year. But if he can't find some better conditioning over the summer you're going to be pretty sorry when he starts tapping his helmet and the cupboard is bare on the bench. If Redman doesn't sign, do you really trust Dwyer out there with nobody but Rainey and Batch spelling him? So far Batch has upfield vision about on par with Mr Magoo. Rainey is a little small to take too much wear and tear, and Batch couldn't find a hole if he had a SEAL team spotter calling out directions for him.

You can fix conditioning. You cant fix being soft (Mendy).

NoFieldFive
11-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Dwyer should be #1 - no contest. guy runs forward and can catch the ball too.

need to go with one starter and use the others for relief only.

TheVet
11-20-2012, 01:03 AM
You Steeeler fans don't appreciate the beauty of the Mendenhall hesitation move because you don't understand it. The idea is to move towards the line, stop short of the open holes, and pause. In theory, the defense will then pause in response. At that point, the back can accelerate through any of the available holes, and blow past the defense before they unpause. Once the back reaches the second level, he then has the option to either fumble or run out of bounds leaving yards on the table. To be honest, I don't understand that second-level theory myself, whatever.

But sooner or later it's all going to come together when one of these NFL defenses gets that pause thing right.

NoFieldFive
11-20-2012, 01:40 AM
with Dwyer you don't see the 4 yard loss runs like Mendanhall would often get.

kent
11-20-2012, 06:12 AM
You Steeeler fans don't appreciate the beauty of the Mendenhall hesitation move because you don't understand it. The idea is to move towards the line, stop short of the open holes, and pause. In theory, the defense will then pause in response. At that point, the back can accelerate through any of the available holes, and blow past the defense before they unpause. Once the back reaches the second level, he then has the option to either fumble or run out of bounds leaving yards on the table. To be honest, I don't understand that second-level theory myself, whatever.

But sooner or later it's all going to come together when one of these NFL defenses gets that pause thing right.

hahaha :thumbsup:

Terminator
11-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Watching Frank Gore last night made me realize that none of our running backs are even close to the level of "elite". Dwyer might be good for a few extra yards since he can usually plow through some people or shrug off some tackles, but he lacks that pure breakaway speed.

Rick5895
11-20-2012, 06:34 AM

I like Mendy as well, however, I beleive Dwyer to be the better fit for this offense that likes to run between the tackles. Against KC the entire O was bad, so I won't pin anything on any RB as there were really no holes made by the OL. Against Baltimore, you are correct, Dwyer had a mere 55 yards. But that was only only 12 carries.
I think Mendy is a good RB, I would like to see Dwyer and Mendy as a 1-2 punch. Mendenhall would be a difference maker out of the backfield. Dwyer is a much better runner between the tackles.

TRH
11-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Watching Frank Gore last night made me realize that none of our running backs are even close to the level of "elite". Dwyer might be good for a few extra yards since he can usually plow through some people or shrug off some tackles, but he lacks that pure breakaway speed.

yeah...he's great to watch..and powerful.

Mendenhall certainly isn't among the leagues best. Time will tell if Dwyer can keep it up. Right now you have to go with the 'hot' hand...and thats Dwyer.
I had high hopes for Redman this year - but he's been an injury machine.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 07:25 AM
You can fix conditioning. You cant fix being soft (Mendy).

Yes, you can fix conditioning. When do you expect him to do this? He's been with us a few years now. Shouldn't he be capable of playing at the NFL level by now?

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a thoroughbred running back in 2013. For now it has to be Dwyer. He's played the best hands down. Redman has been injury prone, Hesitation Mendenhall is also injury prone and looks like he's afraid to just RUN, then we have Batch who sees a carry once in a blue moon, and lastly Rainey who I think has seen a decreased roll due to that rib injury he had. They use him sparingly as a distraction more than anything. Rainey would be a nice change of pace if he was healthy.

SuperSteelers
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Dwyer is an average NFL back, nothing he does is any better than any other back his size.

I wasn't comparing him to other NFL backs. I was comparing him to the backs on our roster.

SuperSteelers
11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
with Dwyer you don't see the 4 yard loss runs like Mendanhall would often get.

The problem with Dwyer is you don't see him on the field more than 2-3 carries per drive. I wish we would see more of him, but he gets winded and needs to sit down. And sit down he does, at the very time the team needs him.

I wish it weren't true, b/c otherwise, I love the way the guy runs.

Lokki
11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
The problem with Dwyer is you don't see him on the field more than 2-3 carries per drive. I wish we would see more of him, but he gets winded and needs to sit down. And sit down he does, at the very time the team needs him.

I wish it weren't true, b/c otherwise, I love the way the guy runs.

Is this an issue with Dwyer or an issue with Haley though? The 2 games that he started when Mendy and Redman were hurt, he was in there for a good majority of the snaps.

Maybe he is looking to the sidelines to see if he's being subbed out. Since they seem to like rotating these backs so much, it may not be Dwyer's fault.

I don't think any backup RB in their right mind would want to sit down on a possible game winning drive. That's where you make a name for yourself. You stay in there move those chains and become the MVP.

SuperSteelers
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Is this an issue with Dwyer or an issue with Haley though? The 2 games that he started when Mendy and Redman were hurt, he was in there for a good majority of the snaps.

Maybe he is looking to the sidelines to see if he's being subbed out. Since they seem to like rotating these backs so much, it may not be Dwyer's fault.

I don't think any backup RB in their right mind would want to sit down on a possible game winning drive. That's where you make a name for yourself. You stay in there move those chains and become the MVP.

I totally agree. I don't know if this issue was discussed elsewhere, however, I distinctly remember seeing Dwyer waving to the sidelines for a replacement during Sunday's game.

If he's getting pulled by the coaches, shame on them. But it looked like he was pulling himself.

steeltheone
11-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Dwyer should be #1 - no contest. guy runs forward and can catch the ball too.

need to go with one starter and use the others for relief only.

Dwyer is the best 114 carry 561 yards no touchdown back in the history of the NFL!

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 11:47 AM

It's Dwyer calling to be let out. This has been brought up since he started getting more carries. He is taking himself out because he can't keep going. He took 17 carries in both of his 100 yard games. 19 in his epic 56 yard game against KC. Go back and look at all these games, and even his lesser carry games. If he makes any kind of meaningful run he will tap out, especially if he puts up two plays back to back.

kent
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes, you can fix conditioning. When do you expect him to do this? He's been with us a few years now. Shouldn't he be capable of playing at the NFL level by now?

Good point. I think people are over criticizing his conditioning in general though, in his 100 yard games this year he had 17 carries each time. Im not saying start him and only play him. Hes not going to ever be a 25-30 carry guy and may not be the running back of the future. But for now he needs to be the feature back and get the bulk of the workload.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Good point. I think people are over criticizing his conditioning in general though, in his 100 yard games this year he had 17 carries each time. Im not saying start him and only play him. Hes not going to ever be a 25-30 carry guy and may not be the running back of the future. But for now he needs to be the feature back and get the bulk of the workload.

I applaud you for trying to be reasonable on this. But here's the thing...Dwyer leads our carries right now with 89. Redman has 85. Mendy has 30, and Rainey 16. Now, Dwyer doesn't seem to be able to take more than 15-17 carries before he begins to break down. With Mendy gone, who is going to fill that gap? We've already seen that when it's just Dwyer and Redman they constantly get hurt trying to run a full game. Batch still sucks, and Rainey can't physically take too many beatings out of the backfield.

So when Mendy goes, what will we do? Either let those two rush themselves into retirement, like Parker, and simply not be able to dial up runs at critical times because the RB's are in an oxygen tent on the sidelines. Neither of these appeals to me. IMO, everyone will get their wish and next year it'll be Dwyer and Redman all on top. Then the next year, we'll be drafting a franchise RB and everyone who is begging for Mendy to leave now will be praying for the new guy in 2014.

kent
11-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah like I said I dont see him being a long term franchise running back. I would love for me to be wrong about Mendy but I just dont see it. The only huge game that he had of significance would be the AFC title game against the Jets. One running back I would take on this team over any other is the guy we will be facing Sunday.

EbonySteel86
11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Mini Bus by far should be the starter use Mendy as a third down back. Dwyer was punishing the Ravens when they let him run, but for some reason, Tomlin wanted noodle arm Lefty to toss the ball all over the place. There hasn't been a game Dwyer started in that I was disappointed in his performance...not one!!!

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
There hasn't been a game Dwyer started in that I was disappointed in his performance...not one!!!

So his 28 yards against the Jets when Redman backed him up made you happy, then? Noted.

PhantomJB93
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I get that Dwyer gets tired way too fast and can't be a "feature" back, but I also don't understand how anyone can argue that, when playing, he isn't the most effective back we have either. Mendenhall, despite the fact that he is physically superior in just about every way, still can't do anything when given the ball, and Redman just doesn't seem to do as much as Dwyer does either. By now he has at least earned the majority of carries IMO. Let Redman (Mendy if Redman's concussion keeps him out) spell him when he gets gassed and put Rainey in on any third down besides third and short.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I get that Dwyer gets tired way too fast and can't be a "feature" back, but I also don't understand how anyone can argue that, when playing, he isn't the most effective back we have either. Mendenhall, despite the fact that he is physically superior in just about every way, still can't do anything when given the ball, and Redman just doesn't seem to do as much as Dwyer does either. By now he has at least earned the majority of carries IMO. Let Redman (Mendy if Redman's concussion keeps him out) spell him when he gets gassed and put Rainey in on any third down besides third and short.

How many touchdowns has he scored in his 4 or 5 starts? Zero is not my definition of "Effective back".

kent
11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
How many touchdowns has he scored in his 4 or 5 starts? Zero is not my definition of "Effective back".

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

No touchdowns but far more productive than the other as if now. Unless you wanna lobby for baron batch, rainey, or leftwich to be the starting RB since they at least have a touchdown lol.

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
If Chris Rainey puts on weight, he could and should be our number one back. With the pull ability of our guards, we should be running the ball outside the tackles with Chris. Pull DeCastro outside to the right and let Chris run behind David. When we need to play smashmouth or it's 3rd and 3/shorter, put in Dwyer and get that first down.

If not, draft Kenjon Barner and let Rainey and Barner run for days against defenses.

PhantomJB93
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM

First of all, Dwyer technically has four starts, but there are really only 3 games where he was utilized as a primary back (Jets game he and Redman split carries evenly, 12 and 12). Mendenhall has zero TD's too. Redman may have 2, but he's not exactly setting the world on fire in that category either...one of those TD's came in the Jets game where they split carries evenly, Dwyer got 3 more yards and Redman got a goal line carry and found a hole for 2 yards. It's not like we have any other back that's a TD machine.

Dwyer, as limited as his endurance may be, always seems to get the yards we need him to when he is given the ball. He may not have gotten the TD's yet but he hasn't really had many opportunities to either. Unless you're expecting 30+ yard TD runs, which none of our backs have a knack of producing.

EbonySteel86
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
So his 28 yards against the Jets when Redman backed him up made you happy, then? Noted.

They were splitting carries that game.

EbonySteel86
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Dwyer is avg. 4.6 yac!!! When was the last time we had a back avg that???? Oooooh, I know......BETTIS!!! GIVE MINI BUS THE ROCK!!!

PhantomJB93
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Also, for the record, Dwyer has only 4 carries more than Redman on the season and has 110 more yards...

BlaZeQuietly
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah it's not even an argument. Everybody agrees Dwyer should be number 1.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Dwyer, as limited as his endurance may be, always seems to get the yards we need him to when he is given the ball. He may not have gotten the TD's yet but he hasn't really had many opportunities to either. Unless you're expecting 30+ yard TD runs, which none of our backs have a knack of producing.

Yea, except he isn't doing that either. Remember when we needed a single 1st down to put the game away against KC? Dwyer got put flat on his ass a yard short on 3rd down by a corenerback. That isn't clutch running, sorry. And where was he in the Ravens game?

And a 50/50 split on carries excuses him only getting 28 yards on the shitty Jets? Seriously? In his last 2 years as a starter Mendenhall has never had more than a 2 game streak as a starter without scoring a TD, and all that was with Bruce Arians running the circus. Dwyer has been here for years and has yet to sniff an endzone, and that's with having an actual fullback paving roads for him in his starts..

EbonySteel86
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Yea, except he isn't doing that either. Remember when we needed a single 1st down to put the game away against KC? Dwyer got put flat on his ass a yard short on 3rd down by a corenerback. That isn't clutch running, sorry. And where was he in the Ravens game?

And a 50/50 split on carries excuses him only getting 28 yards on the shitty Jets? Seriously? In his last 2 years as a starter Mendenhall has never had more than a 2 game streak as a starter without scoring a TD, and all that was with Bruce Arians running the circus. Dwyer has been here for years and has yet to sniff an endzone, and that's with having an actual fullback paving roads for him in his starts..

You can't blame.Dwyer for the Raven game. When Tomlin DID call his number he produced. 4.6yac against Baltimore isn't nuthin to sneeze at, just that he only.carried it like 15 times.

nj1923steelgirl
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
As much as I like Redman.....have to go with Dwyer!

PhantomJB93
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Saying "Dwyer has been here for years" really doesn't mean much, he was never given a legitimate chance to do anything until this season. Obviously he wasn't going to do anything his rookie year, and last year Mendy wasn't hurt all year.

No he didn't do anything against KC. But who did? Everyone played like shit that game. EVERYONE. It's not like anyone came out and showed they should get the job over him. Against Baltimore, he still came up with a few good third down conversions if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't his best game but again it wasn't anyone else's either and Dwyer still looked better than anyone else when he was in. He still got nearly twice as many yards as Mendenhall with only one more carry. He had just as many receptions for more yards as well.

Nobody's trying to say Dwyer is a Pro Bowler or anything, or at least, I'm not. I used to be a huge Mendy supporter. I will still admit Mendy is more equipped to be a feature back. He has all the physical traits, the speed, the power, the shiftiness, the endurance. But he just doesn't get it done. I don't care what he's done in the past, he's had good seasons here. But if you've watched him this year, there's just no way you can make excuses for him. IDK if maybe the lingering injuries are bothering him or what, but he just get's stuffed or misses the hole EVERY time he gets the ball.

To me, Mendy is totally out of the equation as the #1 at this point, and Dwyer has shown he's better than Redman. That's all there is to it.