PDA

View Full Version : QB Status for the Browns

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Byron Leftwich injury: Steelers QB could miss time
By Rodger Sherman on Nov 19, 11:56a

The Pittsburgh Steelers will likely work out free agent quarterbacks this week, as backup Byron Leftwich might not be able to play after suffering a rib injury while filling in for Ben Roethlisberger.

Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that the Steelers are worried that Leftwich's injuries will keep him from playing next Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, although he did return to the game after taking a big hit Sunday night. Leftwich had been forced into a starting role when Roethlsiberger also suffered a rib injury last week against the Kansas City Chiefs, and Roethlisberger's rare rib injury threatens his aorta and could likely keep him out for up to a month. Byron Leftwich is also injured for the Pittsburgh Steelers, meaning the squad could have to start Charlie Batch Sunday against the Cleveland Browns and will likely sign a quarterback off the free agent market. Leftwich was 18-for-39 with a pick in his first start since 2009.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/11/19/3666498/byron-leftwich-injury-update-steelers-ben-roethlisberger/in/3430531

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
A lot of conflicting reports on that. Quote from Leftwich...

But Leftwich didn't miss a snap during the game and dismissed all injury talk. "I'm OK," he said.

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Just something I saw posted on FB just now...I know we'll know more later in the week.

Either way, I say going out and getting another backup QB is essential. I just don't feel that comfortable with Lefty and Batch as the only ones lol.

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I feel better if Charlie gets the start against the Browns.
Lefty should of been pulled out last night. It was clear he was hurt!

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I feel better if Charlie gets the start against the Browns.
Lefty should of been pulled out last night. It was clear he was hurt!

agree, that's why i believe the coaching staff has a lot of the blame to shoulder last night. ben can play when hobbled but lefty isn't ben.

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
agree, that's why i believe the coaching staff has a lot of the blame to shoulder last night. ben can play when hobbled but lefty isn't ben.

Hell, the wife was hollerin at the coach to pull him :sofunny:
Who knows if Charlie will be any better, but IMO i know Charlie seems to run the OL well and he can manage the game better.

JWashington
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
They should've signed McNabb to be Ben's back-up in the first place. They thought about, then went with Leftwich and Batch anyway. Cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

steeltheone
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
One thing you can ALWAYS bank on, Leftwitch and Batch getting hurt. Hate to say it, but it's true!

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
They should've signed McNabb to be Ben's back-up in the first place. They thought about, then went with Leftwich and Batch anyway. Cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

We only have about a million in cap space left, which is about what Batch cost us. So who would you pick that will take 1 mil a year to replace one of these guys?

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
I just saw on Twitter that Lamar Woodley is aking people what they think about signing Mcnabb. Not sure what to think. I know that Leftwich at 100% is about an average starter in this league so him at 50-75% is a NO-GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please sign someone and Mcnabb might be a good answer.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I just saw on Twitter that Lamar Woodley is aking people what they think about signing Mcnabb. Not sure what to think. I know that Leftwich at 100% is about an average starter in this league so him at 50-75% is a NO-GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please sign someone and Mcnabb might be a good answer.

If McNabb will play for what we can pay him, it would be nice. I would assume at the least he can take a 3 step drop and hit Miller, and repeat that a few times.

JWashington
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
At this point in the season, who ever they'd pick, the salary would be pro-rated so they wouldn't be on the hook for an entire season's pay. You have veteran's minimums but aside from that, what free agent is really going to play hard ball right now. It's sign for the minimum on a contender or do what you've been doing. Going back to the off-season, they could've offered the minimum and groomed a young kid as the 3rd. You also have to determine as a franchise how much stock do you put into your back-up with your starter's history of injuries.

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
This just in, Steelers sign Ryan Leaf!!!

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 02:25 PM
i would like it if we addressed the qb position in the draft. spending a 2nd-4th round pick even on a potential up and comer i wouldn't be against. leftwich and batch are both at the tail end of their careers.

hell if we could pick up someone like a drew brees / russell wilson kinda player to back up ben i'd be stoked

Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Jerrod Johnson will be re-signed. Calling it now.

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
^^^THIS^^^ @ Fire Arians, I have been saying this for quite some time!

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
i would like it if we addressed the qb position in the draft. spending a 2nd-4th round pick even on a potential up and comer i wouldn't be against. leftwich and batch are both at the tail end of their careers.

hell if we could pick up someone like a drew brees / russell wilson kinda player to back up ben i'd be stoked

I'm pretty sure we would all be stoked if we could have a Drew Brees on the bench ready for when Ben retires. lol

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure we would all be stoked if we could have a Drew Brees on the bench ready for when Ben retires. lol

I'm just using him as an example because he's a great QB talent that wasn't drafted in round 1 (and i'm not gonna include tom brady in rd 6 because that's an anomaly). We can address the position without having to spend a 1st pick. I'm not sure if leftwich / batch will be good to go for even another year, they are both done, or close to it.

hell, ok, what about a russell wilson behind ben? :chuckle: i'd take that.

JWashington
11-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I saw Johnson in the pre-season, offense would be horrible under that kid.

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
This just in, Steelers sign Ryan Leaf!!!

BITE YOUR TONGUE. Or I'll have Bayz do it!

Fire Haley
11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
"Tyler Palko leads the Steelers to 8-8 season"

TRH
11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
depends. I'm not big on either of the 2 backups we have. Neither one are very good.
It all depends on Tomlin.
If he's being stubborn, he'll stick with Lefty.
But the right thing to probably do is go with Batch - and if we do, expect us to run the ball much more than we did last night.

Either way - it will likely be a long day during the Cleveland game. They look 'tougher' and surely more physical than we do - especially their offense and defensive lines up front.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Lamarr Woodley just posted on Facebook: "How would ya'll feel if we signed McNabb?"

Why would he post that?

StainlessStill
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
It's become Voo Doo in Pittsburgh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2iipzHl3w

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Lamarr Woodley just posted on Facebook: "How would ya'll feel if we signed McNabb?"

Why would he post that?

defense has to be frustrated that they gave the O numerous chances to do something and didn't.

FacemeIke
11-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Its not that realistic to bring in McNabb and expect him to start. He'd need at least 2-3 weeks to get in shape and learn the offense and by that time Ben would be back anyways. So it'd just be a waste of money. Sign the guy from preseason as a #3 and go with Lefty/Batch.

Fire Haley
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Why would he post that?

He knows Ben is done for the year and our back-ups can't do shit

teegre
11-19-2012, 03:12 PM

True... and even of it was BB, an injury to one's throwing arm/shoulder can make a huge difference.

That final pass to Gilreath was the p[rime example: Leftiwch wound up, and hurled a duck all of 30 yards; a healthy Leftwich throws a bullet 70 yards.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
depends. I'm not big on either of the 2 backups we have. Neither one are very good.
It all depends on Tomlin.
If he's being stubborn, he'll stick with Lefty.
But the right thing to probably do is go with Batch - and if we do, expect us to run the ball much more than we did last night.

Either way - it will likely be a long day during the Cleveland game. They look 'tougher' and surely more physical than we do - especially their offense and defensive lines up front.

Kind of confused on this one. If we want to shift to the run game, why does that require Batch? Who cares if it's Lefty or Batch if all you're doing is handing off?

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Well, like I said, we'll know more in the next couple of days...but the general attitude going around seems to be that Lefty might be too injured to start. So they're going to have to sign someone.

I'd be ok with McNabb at the right price. He wouldn't have to start right away, but I think he'd be capable of getting the core of the offense down in a week. Give him a basic playbook to go off. Have Charlie start next week, and get McNabb back there for the Ravens. I still think this injury to Ben is going to keep him out another 4 games at least.

Also, even if Lefty is healthy enough to go...I think they need to sign someone (I don't even know who else is available besides Jerrod, which I just don't see anything happening with other than handoffs...might as well put Heath back there lol). They can't go into another game with only a banged up Lefty and Batch.

Ricco Suavez
11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
This is a partial list of notable unsigned free agent QBs

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Mike Kafka
9. AJ Feeley
10. Curtis Painter
11. Troy Smith
12 Chris Redman

Also JP Losman was on the list at number 15.

Fire Haley
11-19-2012, 03:42 PM
ESPN reports Byron Leftwich fractured two ribs in Sunday's loss, and is unlikely to start in Week 12.

The team will prepare veteran Charlie Batch as the Pittsburgh Steelers' third starting quarterback in as many games when they play the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, the sources added.

In addition to his fractured ribs, Leftwich later hurt his shoulder but the sources said it was not believed to be as detrimental as the rib injuries

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653245/byron-leftwich-pittsburgh-steelers-ribs-likely-sources-say

PhantomJB93
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I know a lot of people would be opposed to this, but I've always thought Vince Young never got enough credit as an NFL QB. Not that he was great or anything but I never really thought he was all that bad either. He did seem to know how to win games and was never really on a team with a defense like ours where he wouldn't necessarily have to be an elite passer to win games.

Otherwise I would go with Garrard or just sign someone half-decent as a backup to Batch and let Batch start. I'm not big on McNabb, IDK if he's stayed in shape or not but he hasn't played or even practiced in almost a year now.

Either way, it looks like we're going to have to sign somebody. With Byron already hurt and Batch likely to get hurt if he sees a snap, we need another option.

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured would be the case.

Just not Curtis Painter...please.

Ricco Suavez
11-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I actually like Hoyer, he was in the Patriot system which is similar to Haleys without the run commitment. Unlikely whoever we sign is going to be able to step in this week. I am leaning to the kid we cut this year, at least he is familiar with our system and people.

FacemeIke
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Can't bring in Gerrard with Lefty on the team....not good history there. We obv need to sign someone that can step in this week if anything happens to Batch (which is about a 50/50 shot given his age and history). It'll be Johnson. He's the only one that knows the offense well enough to play Sunday if Batch gets hurt

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
A few notable players on that list. I would think McNabb would sign just to get his ring lol. VY, Garrard all capable. I bet Garrard is even in shspe as he has been rehabbing from injury if im not mistaken.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
If Leftwich really has the rib injury we have no choice now but to IR him and pick up a backup reserve QB. I just hope it's not someone godawful. The list of unsigned QB's out there is scary bad. Half those guys are likely stocking grocery store shelves at this very moment.

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 03:53 PM
What is all this talk about Batch's injury history, when were all these injuries? Lefty was the one injured every season for the last few years.

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Garrard would be the best option, the only reason he wasnt signed already was he was injured and was rehabbing (ie staying in shape) and was recently cleared to play. After that McNabb would have the most exp ans knowledge, but dont what shape he is in.

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Why would he post that?

Is this true? He would be a definite upgrade plus he could provide some analysis like he does on Playbook.

SuperSteelers
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
If Leftwich really has the rib injury we have no choice now but to IR him and pick up a backup reserve QB. I just hope it's not someone godawful. The list of unsigned QB's out there is scary bad. Half those guys are likely stocking grocery store shelves at this very moment.

Remember Kurt Warner stocking shelves? Who knows. Give a guy a shot with nothing to lose. :noidea:

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
This is a partial list of notable unsigned free agent QBs

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Mike Kafka
9. AJ Feeley
10. Curtis Painter
11. Troy Smith
12 Chris Redman

Also JP Losman was on the list at number 15.

Of just those ones on the list, I'd probably pick Garrard. He knows how to win a playoff game.

TRH
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
well, i can tell you one that it WON'T be. Vince Young. He'd be here 5 minutes and Tomlin would be ready to kick his ass.

Seneca Wallace was nearly a solid #2 this year.....we'll see who they bring in....its too bad Troy Smith didn't work out. What a disappointment.

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Why would he post that?

Because Monday is an off day and Woodley has been drinking steadily since last night's loss?:noidea:

harrison'samonster
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Why would he post that?

maybe it's because the coaches don't know what to do, so they leak out this information to see what us fans on chat sites would do. Then they will do whatever we come up with.

btaylor179
11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
lefty was sorry/shoulda used charlie/hes won us a few games b4

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Kind of confused on this one. If we want to shift to the run game, why does that require Batch? Who cares if it's Lefty or Batch if all you're doing is handing off?

If you think making a quick read and getting rid of the ball a second faster isn't important then I don't know what to tell you. Charlie may get hurt, but he can win a game.

I've seen nothing from Leftwich since he's been a Steeler to show me he can win a game.

If a 3rd down conversion is needed I have way more confidence in Batch than I do Leftwich (even when the dude is healthy).

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I've seen nothing from Leftwich since he's been a Steeler to show me he can win a game.

How about the games he played as a Steeler where we won? He finished 2008 with like a 105 rating across 4 games, I think.

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Of just those ones on the list, I'd probably pick Garrard. He knows how to win a playoff game.

Bring him in, add Plaxi...call it a day. Hopefully Garrard never has to play...but I'd like him as a backup to Charlie. Moreso than McNabb actually.

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 10:53 PM
How about the games he played as a Steeler where we won? He finished 2008 with like a 105 rating across 4 games, I think.

Charlie is 5-2 with the Steelers as a starter. Winning his last game.

Sure, Charlie isn't starter material. But he's not 0-4 in his last 4 starts like Lefty.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
as far as the mcnabb rumors, he ran the kind of offense in philly that they were trying to do with ben (west coast, short-passing attack relying on YAC)

he also had a terrible o-line in philly and is used to pressure getting in his face :chuckle:

it could very well work. i've always been a fan of mcnabb

HarryC13
11-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi, new to the forum but at 59 a long-time Steeler fan. McNabb would be a good addition, agreed, but the name that jumped out at me immediately was David Garrard, former QB for the Jaguars. He's a bit younger than McNabb and Batch, is mobile and has good stats throughout his career. Was in contention for the Dolphins job until he was injured and released but last I heard he's now ready to go again. How about it?

Terminator
11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
From what I am understanding based on information I read last night and this morning, Donovan McNabb is under contract with the NFL Network, and will not be signing with any football team. He was not invited to practice today. I guess things could always change, but that is my understanding.

Adam Schefter is reporting that Mike Kafka and Brian Hoyer were the only 2 quarterbacks invited today. One will be signed this afternoon.

TRH
11-20-2012, 08:11 AM
From what I am understanding based on information I read last night and this morning, Donovan McNabb is under contract with the NFL Network, and will not be signing with any football team. He was not invited to practice today. I guess things could always change, but that is my understanding.

Adam Schefter is reporting that Mike Kafka and Brian Hoyer were the only 2 quarterbacks invited today. One will be signed this afternoon.

Yeah, it appears not too many people knew that McNabb has moved on and isn't available.
Will be an interesting day - looks like we may have 2 signings today.

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Hell, I say sign them both ... gives the fans something entertaining to talk about while Ben takes a month off

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I actually agree with a column by Ron Cook :jawdrop:

Cook: A problem with the Steelers quarterback situation

Remember the fabulous line from "Cool Hand Luke," one of Paul Newman's all-time great movies?

"What we got here is a failure to communicate."

I'm thinking Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has that problem with his quarterbacks.

Either that or Tomlin has absolutely no faith in third-stringer Charlie Batch.

Either way, there's a problem....

In a 13-10 loss Sunday night to the Baltimore Ravens, Tomlin allowed Byron Leftwich to play the entire game after Leftwich broke two ribs, apparently when he fell into the end zone on his 31-yard touchdown scramble just 43 seconds into the game....

Late last season in a 20-3 loss to the 49ers in San Francisco, Tomlin allowed Ben Roethlisberger to play on a badly sprained left ankle, an injury from a week earlier in a win against the Cleveland Browns. Roethlisberger kept telling Tomlin he was good to go. Tomlin kept him in until late in the game, long after the outcome had been decided, even though Roethlisberger had no mobility. He threw three interceptions and lost two fumbles that game. I guess Tomlin thought he was a better option than Batch.

Do you sense a trend here?

Tomlin blew it in both games.:thumbsup:

It's not a player's call to decide who plays and who doesn't. It's a coach's decision. He can't just listen to what the player has to say. He has to trust his eyes and do what's best for his team. Tomlin failed the Steelers in the 49ers game and the Ravens game

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/a-problem-with-the-steelers-quarterback-situation-662850/

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Why would he post that?

Larry Foote says he should not have posted that

Larry Foote, during his weekly morning radio spot on Pittsburgh FM radio’s 93.7 The Fan told fellow linebacker LaMarr Woodley to shut up about his apparent suggestion that the team sign Donovan McNabb to ease its quarterback crisis.

Woodley said this on Twitter Monday:
“So @JasonLaCanfora saying byron might be out. what would yall think if we got @donovanjmcnabb?”

The boys on The Fan morning show asked Foote what he thought about that. Foote said he doesn’t discuss team business outside the team and then said, “LaMar needs to shut up and just play football.’’

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Instead of blaming Tomlin, how about we take a look at the fact that Leftwich told the medical staff to leave when they tried to look at him. He was probably telling Tomlin he was OK, and Mike had no reason to think it wasn't anything more than a minor injury. Even in the rib / upper chest area, a minor injury hurts like a bitch.

Cris and Al were commenting that Byron wasn't being attended to by the medical staff and I can guarantee it was because Byron didn't want them to find out he was seriously injured. He wanted to stay in the game and play, but it's a lot easier to blame Mike. This is the kind of bullshit that people jump to after a loss and it's getting really, really old. How about we open our eyes and ears before saying stupid shit like "blame Mike! he didn't take him out!" and realize that these guys want to stay in and want to keep playing, despite the pain. It's why we have a concussion protocol now and why players playing through concussions is an epidemic in the league right now. They've become experts at hiding pain, but you can't hide broken or fractured ribs, so he stayed as far away from them as possible.

Tomlin isn't the devil and cares about his players, it's time we stop bitching at him for his decision making. But, I bet these are the same people that would say "Cowher wouldn't do this!". Idiots.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Instead of blaming Tomlin, how about we take a look at the fact that Leftwich told the medical staff to leave when they tried to look at him. He was probably telling Tomlin he was OK, and Mike had no reason to think it wasn't anything more than a minor injury. Even in the rib / upper chest area, a minor injury hurts like a bitch.

Cris and Al were commenting that Byron wasn't being attended to by the medical staff and I can guarantee it was because Byron didn't want them to find out he was seriously injured. He wanted to stay in the game and play, but it's a lot easier to blame Mike. This is the kind of bullshit that people jump to after a loss and it's getting really, really old. How about we open our eyes and ears before saying stupid shit like "blame Mike! he didn't take him out!" and realize that these guys want to stay in and want to keep playing, despite the pain. It's why we have a concussion protocol now and why players playing through concussions is an epidemic in the league right now. They've become experts at hiding pain, but you can't hide broken or fractured ribs, so he stayed as far away from them as possible.

Tomlin isn't the devil and cares about his players, it's time we stop bitching at him for his decision making. But, I bet these are the same people that would say "Cowher wouldn't do this!". Idiots.

Weren't you just saying yesterday that Leftwhich is not to blame? :noidea:

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Weren't you just saying yesterday that Leftwhich is not to blame? :noidea:

Where did I say that Leftwich was to blame for the loss? Please, quote me. I said Leftwich didn't tell Tomlin the severity of his injury. You're trying to find something in my post that isn't there - stop.