PDA

View Full Version : Ben may be back for the 2nd Ravens game

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Source: Big Ben likely out 3 weeks
Updated: November 19, 2012, 12:00 AM ET
By Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter | ESPN

Pittsburgh Steelers doctors are hopeful, though hardly optimistic, that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to return from his rib and shoulder injuries Dec. 2 against the Baltimore Ravens, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Steelers doctors believe Roethlisberger will miss three weeks, though the team has not abandoned hope that he may miss only two games and be able to return for the rematch against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger was ruled out of Sunday night's game against the Ravens and is not expected to play next Sunday at Cleveland.

Though Roethlisberger said the injury to his first rib on his right side threatened his aorta, a source said doctors believe the greater threat is to the surrounding arteries, vessels and soft tissue.

Roethlisberger was in as much pain Friday as he was Monday, a source said, and the timetable for his return is somewhat unpredictable. The injury is rare and needs to heal itself -- there's no treatment or procedure that can fix it quicker.

While Roethlisberger missed Sunday night's 13-10 loss to the Ravens, running back Rashard Mendenhall started and rushed 11 times for 33 yards.

And safety Ryan Clark, who has suffered two concussions in the last three weeks, told ESPN that he would wear a special helmet which is one size bigger than usual and packed with bullet-proof Kevlar against the Ravens.

ESPN's Rachel Nichols contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8648415/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-likely-3-weeks-source

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:17 PM
well i hope we get 2nd and 3rd opinions from doctors if they're gonna medically clear him. if the injury was almost bad enough to kill him just a week ago, i don't want him in the game even if it's a big game. no game's worth dying over

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I dont see him playing for weeks yet. If the rib injury is as serious as they stated.
And if he would play, would he be able to perform at a high level. I dont see it!

SteelCityMom
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
No, I don't see it either. BEST case scenarios have him out 3 weeks minimum. Realistically, we could be looking at 4-6 weeks. Can't find the article now, but I read there is chance of nerve damage to his arm as well if he comes back too soon.

Best to err on the side of caution. If it were just a sprained ankle or something, I'd say have him back then...this is just a bit more serious though.

steelfury02
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
just want to see a healthy team at the end of the year at this point

WVABE
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
He needs to rest and hopefully return when were in the playoffs.
Unless they're bull shitting everyone, why would he jeopardize his health
with a new baby coming soon.
Don't be stupid, take a seat and watch.

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's to hoping!!! But realistically not happening. I think we need to start Charlie for the next couple of weeks. If we can beat Cleve and San Diego, we have a great shot at the WC (don't see us winning the division at this point). Hell, we don't need to win the division. We do better as under dogs because we play with a chip on our shoulders. Could you imagine if we sneak into the playoffs and get this team healthy at the right time??? That's been the Giants recipe for SB wins!!

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
He has been protected pretty well this year and with the sack count being down, that will play a role! Shoot him up and send him in!!! Seriously, NOT! Im an advocate of letting injuries MORE THAN completely heal especially after Troy returning WAY too soon and re injuring the calf!

jjpro11
11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll gladly concede the division if it guarantees us a healthy Ben come playoff time.

StainlessStill
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
No way. IF we're LUCKY and the healing process not only speeds up, but goes perfectly, I'd expect him at the EARLIEST @ Dallas in one month. Until then, lets hope we can get out of games not only with a W, but healthy!

teegre
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
I'll gladly concede the division if it guarantees us a healthy Ben come playoff time.

^^THIS!!!^^^

PITT has very winnable games against CLEV, SD, CLEV, DAL, and CINCY... and they almost beat BALT. They need 4 wins to make the play-offs, and I can easily see that happening.

Last year, the SF showed us: a healthy BB makes all the difference. Furthermore, if BB is healthy, he does not get sacked at the end of regulation in the DENV play-off game, and they kick a FG... and possibly go on to the SuperBowl (last year's play-offs were very watered down, to me).

I'd rather be 10-6, and sneak into the play-off with a HEALTHY BB.

Rotorhead
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, realistically all that needs to happen is the rib need to grow back together, some people just heal faster, if it is fully healed then the risk is gone. So we can hope. And realistically we can still win the div as Balty will get crushed by the Broncos and we could still beat them at there place. Giving us both 4 losses, who else do they play that is better than average? Giants should be starting their annual hot streak soon right?

Bayz101
11-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Fuck the division, we need our quarterback for the playoffs. I expect Ben to return for the Chargers game in Week 14, and he'll be questionable for the next Ravens game.

WVABE
11-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Our schedule is not favorable, we struggle badly against crappy teams.

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Monday November 19, 2012

Peter King > MONDAY MORNING QB

Heal, Ben, heal. I'm told Ben Roethlisberger still has pain with many simple movements, seven days after he suffered shoulder and first rib injuries in the Monday-nighter against Kansas City, and anyone forecasting a week for him to return is guessing. Roethlisberger has no sense when he'll be able to return. But according to Dr. Clark Fuller, the director of Thoracic Surgery at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., Roethlisberger has to be careful about returning too soon because of damage it can do to nerves in the right shoulder and arm, major blood vessels in the area, and, as Roethlisberger admitted last week, the aorta around the heart.

"This is not about being a tough guy,'' said Fuller, who has neither examined Roethlisberger nor seen his X-rays or scans. So he made it clear he was speaking generally about the dislocation of the first rib, which is connected to the breast bone on one side and the spine on the other. A throwing motion, he said, would not allow the rib to heal, and he would not recommend it any time soon. "Playing football with a dislocated first rib would put you at severe risk. There are many things to be concerned about, including destroying the nerves in the arm.''

Fuller said he thought Roethlisberger would miss a minimum of four weeks. "I do remember their coach, Mike Tomlin, not allowing that safety [Ryan Clark] to play in altitude in Denver because of his sickle-cell disease,'' Fuller said. "That is a good sign, to me. I believe he won't risk the health of Roethlisberger."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/19/week-11/index.html#ixzz2ChkNiziJ

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
But according to Dr. Clark Fuller, the director of Thoracic Surgery at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., Roethlisberger has to be careful about returning too soon because of damage it can do to nerves in the right shoulder and arm, major blood vessels in the area, and, as Roethlisberger admitted last week, the aorta around the heart.

"This is not about being a tough guy,'' said Fuller, who has neither examined Roethlisberger nor seen his X-rays or scans. So he made it clear he was speaking generally about the dislocation of the first rib, which is connected to the breast bone on one side and the spine on the other. A throwing motion, he said, would not allow the rib to heal, and he would not recommend it any time soon. "Playing football with a dislocated first rib would put you at severe risk. There are many things to be concerned about, including destroying the nerves in the arm.''

:iagree:
Ben is in the prime of his career and barring severe injury should be a top flight QB for years to come

In terms of both protecting the cornerstone of the franchise and the simple decency of not knowingly exposing someone to catastrophic injury (as Tomlin has done by refusing to let Ryan Clark play in Denver) Ben needs to sit until he heals. If that means the season is in the dumpster by the time he can return in week 16 agsint the Bengals so be it

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
:iagree:
Ben is in the prime of his career and barring severe injury should be a top flight QB for years to come

In terms of both protecting the cornerstone of the franchise and the simple decency of not knowingly exposing someone to catastrophic injury (as Tomlin has done by refusing to let Ryan Clark play in Denver) Ben needs to sit until he heals. If that means the season is in the dumpster by the time he can return in week 16 agsint the Bengals so be it

Yup. Spot on. It would be ludicrous to put him in against the Ravens. Let him fully heal.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 05:19 PM
No, I don't see it either. BEST case scenarios have him out 3 weeks minimum. Realistically, we could be looking at 4-6 weeks. Can't find the article now, but I read there is chance of nerve damage to his arm as well if he comes back too soon.
Best to err on the side of caution. If it were just a sprained ankle or something, I'd say have him back then...this is just a bit more serious though.

It was the Monday Morning QB article on CNNSI, where a Thoracic surgeon was speculating on possible issues.

If you want to do some reading. Look up : THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME or PADGET-SCHROETTER.

-It involves compression of the subclavian vessels between the clavicle and 1st rib, which normally requires a 1st rib resection to heal. (yes, they remove your first rib). People with TOS sometimes lose all feeling or strength when they raise their arm above their head.........not so good for an NFL QB.

Ben is likely gone 6 weeks, unless the joint stabilizes sooner.

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Ben is going to play whenever he gets the chance. If he doesn't have a timetable, then us speculating about one isn't helping. As Glazer said yesterday, anyone speculating on any time table what-so-ever has "no idea what they're talking about.". This isn't something we can do internet research on because we don't even know the full extent of his injury - fuck, he doesn't even know the full extent of his injury. It could be better or worse than once thought - we just don't know.

BKAnthem
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Whatever the extent is...he shouldn't be allowed on the field until the rib and shoulder is healed completely...i don't care if misses the remainder of the season....

Twentyvalve
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
This.

Whatever the extent is...he shouldn't be allowed on the field until the rib and shoulder is healed completely...i don't care if misses the remainder of the season....

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Mike Tomlin just said Ben's injury looks good and they're optimistic about his future. That said, he's doubtful for Cleveland.