PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich has 2 broken ribs - unlikely to start

Fire Haley
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
ESPN reports Byron Leftwich fractured two ribs in Sunday's loss, and is unlikely to start in Week 12.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich fractured two ribs early in Sunday night's 13-10 loss to the Ravens and is unlikely to start this week, according to team and league sources.

The team will prepare veteran Charlie Batch as the Pittsburgh Steelers' third starting quarterback in as many games when they play the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, the sources added.

In addition to his fractured ribs, Leftwich later hurt his shoulder but the sources said it was not believed to be as detrimental as the rib injuries.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653245/byron-leftwich-pittsburgh-steelers-ribs-likely-sources-say

---------------------

The season rests with Charlie now....he better not fuck up too

Unkindness
11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I am NO Steelers fan, but my side was hurting watching that guy suffer.

I really wanted him out getting some relief. It was unfair to leave him him. Particularly with the seriousness of Ben's rib injury.

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I better start buying stock in whoever makes the gray hoodies and sweats....

Fire Haley
11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
bring back Dennis Dixon

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
he should have been yanked out of the game, he was in obvious pain and throwing ducks all day

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
I am NO Steelers fan, but my side was hurting watching that guy suffer.

I really wanted him out getting some relief. It was unfair to leave him him. Particularly with the seriousness of Ben's rib injury.

They're probably used to seeing ben and how gritty he is. leftwich is also tough but he's not ben in any way shape or form. i was wondering why tomlin didn't at least acknowledge the injury

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I know this sounds like a dick thing to say but that sucks that he kept himself in teh game. That lame duck throw to Gilreath killed us. He hurt his team by trying to be superman. I mean, I get that these guys are wired a certain way but he had to know he was not able to make some of teh trhows that he needed too. And Tomlin needs to recognize his guy is hurt, Byron is not Ben, and take him out. Charlie was there and ready to go. It cost us the game. Even Collinsworth was commenting on how bad some of the throws were. Damn!

Blackout
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Wonder what reason Tomlin has for not pulling him and putting in Batch.

i guess the alternative isn't as good lol.

desertsteel
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
he should have been yanked out of the game, he was in obvious pain and throwing ducks all day

Yeah that ball he fired on his first pass was his normal throw and everything after that was 70% at best. I've been a Leftwich supporter over the years but he looked bad and the bottom line is that he cannot stay healthy under any circumstance.

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I broke some ribs in a dirtbike accident, could not breathe! Dont know how he did it? Batch it is!

desertsteel
11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I broke some ribs in a dirtbike accident, could not breathe! Dont know how he did it? Batch it is!

Batch it is and they HAVE TO sign a backup now. No question. Who will it be??? I vote for Doug Flutie or Vinny Testeverde.

ETL
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Bring in farve

3rdandlong
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I always thought Batch was the better quarterback. What was Tomlin thinking keeping Leftwich in when he was in obvious pain!

desertsteel
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Bring in farve
This may have been said in jest but I'd take Favre in a heartbeat at this point. Right off the plane. Better yet, Kurt Warner, who knows Haley's offense.

Unkindness
11-19-2012, 03:42 PM
They're probably used to seeing ben and how gritty he is. leftwich is also tough but he's not ben in any way shape or form. i was wondering why tomlin didn't at least acknowledge the injury

True. Ben plays through almost anything.

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Tebow?

:::ducks and runs:::

beer72
11-19-2012, 04:07 PM

You are sooooooo right!!! Been saying that since i saw the hit. And love i tomlin but was a complete A$$ for not making the switch to batch

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Jerrod Johnson going to be signed and Gilreath cut to clear waivers??

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Batch it is and they HAVE TO sign a backup now. No question. Who will it be??? I vote for Doug Flutie or Vinny Testeverde.

Yep. Broken ribs = lefty will not be available for at least a couple weeks, and we aren't going into a game with only 1 quarterback.

maybe they're gonna give mcnabb a call afterall

Stangboy06
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
he broke his ribs falling in the endzone on the first drive no contact or was it the team picture

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I always thought Batch was the better quarterback. What was Tomlin thinking keeping Leftwich in when he was in obvious pain!

Hopefully there is a good reason other than "the standard being the standard" and giving Leftwich his shot at glory.

So maybe this is the reason. I recall someone (Collinsworth?) said until this past week Leftwich had taken very few snaps with the first team offense in practice. Which means Batch has taken even fewer and that Tomlin figured putting Batch in would be a disaster. Leftwich certainly was not going to take himself out.

Not having Leftwich's ribs checked (certainly at halftime) and Haley calling that many pass plays when Leftwich was clearly hurting made last night the worst coaching performance of the 2012 regular season (hard to call it the worst performance of the year after the Steelers game plan turned Tim Tebow into Joe Montana last January)

SteelCurtain5643
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Time for the ageless wonder Charlie Batch to step in. I would def try to sign someone like McNabb to backup Batch. I think Charlie will do ok, cant be any worse than what we saw last night.

FacemeIke
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Palko and Brody Coyle are both available and have played in Haley's offense before. We'll sign Johnson, but Palko and Coyle are both better chances to be signed than Gerrard or McNabb. This isn't MLB or NBA where a player can switch teams and step right in with one day of practice. It'd take at a minimum two weeks for any new QB completely foreign to be ready to step onto the field.

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep. Broken ribs = lefty will not be available for at least a couple weeks, and we aren't going into a game with only 1 quarterback.

Is there any evidence that McNabb could be asked or is this just fans speculation?

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Is there any evidence that McNabb could be asked or is this just fans speculation?

McNabb was out of shape when he was a starting QB. He probably looks like Casey Hampton now that he is out of the league.

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I knew that he fractured his ribs. I've had the same injury. But honestly to fall down and do it to yourself is pathetic. What was he thinking? His career should be done.

Steeler_Supporter
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey new poster here. John Beck is available I think, and would be a good fit in my opinion...if he kept in shape and stayed sharp on his mobility.If he did he's got decent size and arm. For all we know he could be the second coming of Kurt Warner lol. I heard they were looking for someone to back up Batch and thats my pick(if Dixon can't be gotten).

*offers water bottles(water boy lol)

TRH
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
oh, man. We need to sign somebody else like yesterday. I'm thinking we'll make a roster move at the latest by tomorrow.
I'm not clamoring for McNabb, but since someone did mention him, Stephen A Smith was saying at the start of the season that McNabb was actually in fantastic shape at the time when he was looking for a team to pick him up.
Don't be surprised if you see a move for Palko.

SuperSteelers
11-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Going in with Charlie is like going in with half a QB... just a matter of time when he will get injured.

Don't get me wrong, I love Batch, but you can't ask him to do something he is not physically fit to do.

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Going in with Charlie is like going in with half a QB... just a matter of time when he will get injured.

Don't get me wrong, I love Batch, but you can't ask him to do something he is not physically fit to do.

Will probably need Charlie to hold the fort for 2 games until Leftwich hopefully heals up - he might last that long

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Hoping to sign another backup QB soon! Bringing in Plax to work out, they gotta be contacting QBs too!?!?!

SteelerFanInCA
11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow, we've had some pretty crappy luck at the QB postion lately. These guys just keep getting crushed. Be interesting to see who we pick up as a backup going into this week's game.

TRH
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow, we've had some pretty crappy luck at the QB postion lately. These guys just keep getting crushed. Be interesting to see who we pick up as a backup going into this week's game.

seems to be a league-wide problem this year. Hell, tonight neither the 49er's OR the Bears have their starter.
How come these things never happen to Brees - Rogers - Brady????

BowCatShot
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Calling Mr. Johnson.

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Hoping to sign another backup QB soon! Bringing in Plax to work out, they gotta be contacting QBs too!?!?!

They need more QBs just to have someone around to throw in practice

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
seems to be a league-wide problem this year. Hell, tonight neither the 49er's OR the Bears have their starter.

Ask Brady how 2008 worked out - ironic that Brady's assailant Bernard Pollard was getting ready to slam Leftwich on his TD run, got juked by Leftwich, and then Leftwich injured himself in the end zone

steelerchad
11-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Brady had a catastrophic knee injury and missed an entire season. Brees had some shoulder injuries and lost his job in SD because of it. Rogers rode the bench the first half of his career. His time will come.

tarasovic2
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
It is insane that he wasn't pulled.

ETL
11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Yahoo is talking about Stephen McGee and Brian Hoyer. This McGee kid looks intriguing

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM

This. Sometimes the STeelers coaches are simply dumb.

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
You are sooooooo right!!! Been saying that since i saw the hit. And love i tomlin but was a complete A$$ for not making the switch to batch

I love him too, but sometimes....

...clock management
....field goal attempts when punts should be taken
....thinking Leftwich, even healthy, is a better QB option than Charlie Batch

Sheesh. Bring on Charlie!!!!

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Right. Because Charlie has been known to fall down in the end zone due to no defensive contact and break two damn ribs in the process.:noidea:

Charlie makes better QB decisions than Leftwich and he makes quicker reads. Period.

All he needs to do is convert 3rd downs and not turn the ball over.

Lady Steel
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Pulled from my news feed on Facebook by the Black N Gold Girls

Black N Gold Girls
Now from the rumor mill: QB Tyler Palko (Pitt Grad) may get interview with Steelers. He played for Todd Haley in KC and has a grasp of his offense.

:noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
11-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Pulled from my news feed on Facebook by the Black N Gold Girls

Black N Gold Girls
Now from the rumor mill: QB Tyler Palko (Pitt Grad) may get interview with Steelers. He played for Todd Haley in KC and has a grasp of his offense.

:noidea:

makes sense, especially since this is only a short-term gig and by the time the new QB learned the offensive playbook he would get cut.

NoFieldFive
11-20-2012, 12:31 AM
like San Fran last year Ben played the whole game hurt. even when the game was out of reach. Tomlin said after the game it was up to Ben to go out.

Tomlin gets paid big bucks to make these calls. time to bag the players coach and make some tough calls.

bad enough Leftwich started to begin with but to keep him in after being hurt is inexcusable.

Pirate
11-20-2012, 04:06 AM
like San Fran last year Ben played the whole game hurt. even when the game was out of reach. Tomlin said after the game it was up to Ben to go out.

Tomlin gets paid big bucks to make these calls. time to bag the players coach and make some tough calls.

bad enough Leftwich started to begin with but to keep him in after being hurt is inexcusable.

Yep. Who's calling the shots here? We need a coach, not a friend.

Look @ the mess we're in now. How many of our players are 1 play away from retiring due to their health? How much $$$ do we have sitting on the bench? Who's our decent backups?

If I was Rooney I'd be pissed about the destruction of this team. Tomlin's ass would have been long gone.

ricardisimo
11-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Yep. Who's calling the shots here? We need a coach, not a friend.

Look @ the mess we're in now. How many of our players are 1 play away from retiring due to their health? How much $$$ do we have sitting on the bench? Who's our decent backups?

If I was Rooney I'd be pissed about the destruction of this team. Tomlin's ass would have been long gone.
Yes, he would have been long gone, we wouldn't have gone to two Super Bowls, and you'd be looking for your fifth head coach in as many years. Fortunately you're not Art Rooney, and this team is not the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs or any of a long list of perennial loser teams that can't hire good coaches, or keep good coaches once they do have them.

Pirate
11-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Yes, he would have been long gone, we wouldn't have gone to two Super Bowls, and you'd be looking for your fifth head coach in as many years. Fortunately you're not Art Rooney, and this team is not the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs or any of a long list of perennial loser teams that can't hire good coaches, or keep good coaches once they do have them.

Dunno what makes you *think* I'd fire my coach every year. I kinda like longevity in that area. Being born & living 80% of my life in SW PA, I bleed Black & Gold & I'm used to that. I believe Tomlin had a good thing when he came here to keep building on. Now we're in a different scenario. I'm not seeing the development of this team as it should be.

So I ask you like I did in the post you replied to: How much $$$ do we have sitting on the bench? Who's our backups? I don't recall Troy doing anything extraordinary in his last play. I can remember Ben taking a worse hit & coming back to score.

How many passes does Tomlin get before he's held accountable for leading our team?

ricardisimo
11-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Dunno what makes you *think* I'd fire my coach every year. I kinda like longevity in that area. Being born & living 80% of my life in SW PA, I bleed Black & Gold & I'm used to that. I believe Tomlin had a good thing when he came here to keep building on. Now we're in a different scenario. I'm not seeing the development of this team as it should be.

So I ask you like I did in the post you replied to: How much $$$ do we have sitting on the bench? Who's our backups? I don't recall Troy doing anything extraordinary in his last play. I can remember Ben taking a worse hit & coming back to score.

How many passes does Tomlin get before he's held accountable for leading our team?
What do you consider a "pass"? Not winning the Super Bowl? Or a losing season? Or just losing the last game you watched that pissed you off so much you thought you'd vent on this forum? These posts miraculously disappear after victories, so I'm thinking it's this third one. As far as the other two options, the stats speak for themselves; Tomlin's in elite company. Anyone who would fire Tomlin now cannot claim to "like longevity".

Pirate
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
What do you consider a "pass"? Not winning the Super Bowl? Or a losing season? Or just losing the last game you watched that pissed you off so much you thought you'd vent on this forum? These posts miraculously disappear after victories, so I'm thinking it's this third one. As far as the other two options, the stats speak for themselves; Tomlin's in elite company. Anyone who would fire Tomlin now cannot claim to "like longevity".
Look @ my posting history here. You'll find most of them on game day supporting our team. I lurked here longer because I didn't want to get into the pissing contest of who's a bigger fan as per normal for this board. Yeah as a long term supporter I feel I can question where this team is going. I gave Tomlin his chance.

It ain't all about winning. You can't see that in what I'm saying. It's about development & vision. I don't see it w/our present Coach. We should be able to hold our own when someone goes out. We shouldn't be making the same bone-headed calls on game day. I don't want to see our players crippled because the Coach won't take them out when needed.

Stats mean different things. We had the talent to ride on auto-pilot for a while. It takes poor decisions to ruin that, & that's what I'm talking about.

So go ahead & try to piss off another member who doesn't agree w/you. I'll still follow my team & be there game day regardless.

JWashington
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Let me get this right. You want one of the most respected, winningest coaches with a great record, 2 SB appearences, 1 Ship and a contending team pretty much every year fired?? Who might I ask would you replace him with?

desertsteel
11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Look @ my posting history here. You'll find most of them on game day supporting our team. I lurked here longer because I didn't want to get into the pissing contest of who's a bigger fan as per normal for this board. Yeah as a long term supporter I feel I can question where this team is going. I gave Tomlin his chance.

It ain't all about winning. You can't see that in what I'm saying. It's about development & vision. I don't see it w/our present Coach. We should be able to hold our own when someone goes out. We shouldn't be making the same bone-headed calls on game day. I don't want to see our players crippled because the Coach won't take them out when needed.

Stats mean different things. We had the talent to ride on auto-pilot for a while. It takes poor decisions to ruin that, & that's what I'm talking about.

So go ahead & try to piss off another member who doesn't agree w/you. I'll still follow my team & be there game day regardless.
I bolded two comments because they really don't support your argument. So, it's not about winning but holding our own? I think that's what happened on Sunday night :banging::banging:

desertsteel
11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Let me get this right. You want one of the most respected, winningest coaches with a great record, 2 SB appearences, 1 Ship and a contending team pretty much every year fired?? Who might I ask would you replace him with?

Yeah I'm glad that the Rooneys don't listen to bonehead fans, who over the years wanted Noll, Cowher and Tomlin fired... I'm proud that we have only had three coaches since the 60's. I hope we don't have another one for 15-20 years.

Pirate
11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I bolded two comments because they really don't support your argument. So, it's not about winning but holding our own? I think that's what happened on Sunday night :banging::banging:

QB position's looking pretty weak to me this week. Gotta plan if Batch goes out? Maybe someone healthy that's been practicing that position for a bit? Clue me in on it.

That's what I mean about holding our own.