PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Air Terror Plot Thwarted

83-Steelers-43
08-10-2006, 07:26 AM
London Police Disrupt Terrorist Plot to Blow Up Aircraft in Mid-Flight
Thursday, August 10, 2006

LONDON — Authorities in Britain disrupted a "serious" terrorist plan to blow up as many as six airplanes simultaneously in mid-flight on their way from Britain to the United States, FOX News learned Thursday.

The "loss of life to innocent civilians would have been on unprecedented scale” had the plan been carried out, Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said.

The plot would have seen terrorists smuggling liquid explosives — that could be missed by x-rays during screening — onto planes via carry-on luggage, security sources told Sky News.

British officials quickly banned hand luggage on all trans-Atlantic flights and raised security to the country's highest level — suggesting a terrorist attack could be imminent.

But a top Scotland Yard official was confident the plot had been foiled, confirming 21 suspects were in custody.

"We think this was an extraordinarily serious plot and we are confident that we've prevented an attempt to commit mass murder on an unimaginable scale," said Scotland Yard Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson.

Reid said the police were confident the "main players" were among the 21 arrested.

Officials on the condition of anonymity said there could be up to 50 people involved in the plot.

However, Stephenson, nor Reid, commented on that.

"We have been very successful in arresting those we were targeting but this is a lengthy operation, and no doubt there will be further developments," Stephenson said.

Those arrested were mainly young, British-born Asian men, Sky News reported.

The terrorists were targeting United, American, Continental airlines, two U.S. counterterrorism officials say. But anonymous sources later told FOX News that British airlines were also being targeted.

A U.S. intelligence official said the plotters had hoped to target flights to major airports in New York, Washington and California, all major summer tourist destinations.

One British police spokesman said the attacks were planned to happen at the same time.

"These were (to be) simultaneous attacks on multiple targets, targeting aircraft bound for the United States," the spokesman said on condition of anonymity in line with force policy.

The country's police anti-terrorist chief, Peter Clarke, said the investigation — which reportedly culminated over several months — reached a critical point Wednesday night, and forces realized urgent action needed to be taken.

“We have been looking at meetings, movements, travel, spending and the aspirations of a large group of people," Clarke said. He said the number, destination and timing of the flights that may have been targeted remained under investigation. "As is so often the case in these investigations, the alleged plot has global dimensions."

Prime Minister Tony Blair, vacationing in the Caribbean, briefed President Bush on the situation overnight, Blair's office said. There was no immediate public reaction from the White House. Bush is spending a few days at his ranch near Crawford, Texas.

It is the first time the red alert level in the Homeland Security warning system has been invoked, although there have been brief periods in the past when the orange level was applied. Homeland Security defines the red alert as designating a "severe risk of terrorist attacks."

"We believe that these arrests (in London) have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted," said U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Chertoff added, however, there was no indication of current plots within the U.S. Numerous flights from U.S. cities to Britain were canceled Thursday morning.

A senior U.S. counterterrorism official said authorities believe dozens of people — possibly as many as 50 — were involved in the plot, which "had a footprint to Al Qaeda back to it." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Another U.S. source in Washington told FOX News that the plot had a "serious Al Qaeda connection."

The plan involved airline passengers hiding masked explosives in carry-on luggage, the official said. "They were not yet sitting on an airplane," but were very close to traveling, the official said, calling the plot "the real deal."

Passengers in Britain faced delays as tighter security was hastily enforced at the country's airports and additional measures were put in place for all flights. Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods, and remote controls were among the items banned from being carried on board.

Liquids, such as hair care products, were also barred on flights in both Britain and the U.S., raising the possibility that authorities were searching for a liquid explosive.

Huge lines formed at ticket counters and behind security barriers at Heathrow and other airports in Britain. Ed Lappen, 55, a businessman from Boston, who was traveling with his wife and daughter to Russia, found himself unable to travel further.

"We're safe, we're OK," he said at Heathrow. "Now my daughter is going to get a shopping trip in London."

Hannah Pillinger, 24, seemed less concerned by the announcement. "Eight hours without an iPod, that's the most inconvenient thing," she said, waiting at the Manchester airport.

Most European carriers canceled flights to Heathrow because of the massive delays created after authorities enforced strict new regulations banning most hand baggage.

Heathrow's block on incoming traffic applied to flights of three hours or less, affecting most of the incoming traffic from Europe, an airport spokesman said on condition of anonymity in line with airport policy.

Officials at Frankfurt's airport, Europe's second-busiest, Schiphol in Amsterdam and Charles De Gaulle in Paris said Heathrow-bound planes could instead land at their airports if they needed to.

London's Heathrow airport was the departure point for a devastating terrorist attack on a Pan Am airplane on Dec. 21, 1988. The blast over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed all 259 people aboard Pan Am Flight 103 and 11 people on the ground.

The explosive was hidden in a portable radio which was hidden in checked baggage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207682,00.html

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Way to sniff out the terroism Great Britain. I see some terroism plots can't be done.

Mosca
08-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Here's to everyone who worked to stop this evil before it could strike.

Tom

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Here's to everyone who worked to stop this evil before it could strike.

Tom
:cheers: Cheers.

CAH
08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Great Britain did a great job.

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
no comment litp??? you called the last terrorist attack on the UK an isolated incident...what say you now???

Thanks for that.

I haven't seen a crazed rant by a 'mad mullah' for at least...ummm....24 hours now.

While there is political gain to be made with extereme minorities by attacking Israel in this way there will always be one of these charcters to come out of the woodwork.

There is a platform for this type of crap to be voiced because of the situation between Palestinians and Israeli's - and its a two way street.

If you remove at least some of the source of animosity then you take away the public support for this type of meaningless rhetoric.

If you consider how many times the US and UK have been attacked since a 'Jihad' was declared against us it would seem that most of these speeches are basically empty threats.

Will every Muslim 'rise up and attack all participant countries'?

The answer is no.

As I say, its empty posturing.

doesn't seem so empty now...

HometownGal
08-11-2006, 10:04 AM
A BIG THANK YOU to Great Britain and Scotland Yard for putting a stop to what could have been yet another mass destruction of innocent lives at the hands of those consumed by hatred and perceived martyrdom.

God Bless the UK and God Bless America!

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0028-0510-0516-3940_SM.jpg

Livinginthe past
08-11-2006, 12:29 PM
no comment litp??? you called the last terrorist attack on the UK an isolated incident...what say you now???

Thanks for that.

I haven't seen a crazed rant by a 'mad mullah' for at least...ummm....24 hours now.

While there is political gain to be made with extereme minorities by attacking Israel in this way there will always be one of these charcters to come out of the woodwork.

There is a platform for this type of crap to be voiced because of the situation between Palestinians and Israeli's - and its a two way street.

If you remove at least some of the source of animosity then you take away the public support for this type of meaningless rhetoric.

If you consider how many times the US and UK have been attacked since a 'Jihad' was declared against us it would seem that most of these speeches are basically empty threats.

Will every Muslim 'rise up and attack all participant countries'?

The answer is no.

As I say, its empty posturing.

doesn't seem so empty now...

I was actually waiting for a few more of the facts to come to light before I jumped in.

At this minute we have conflicting reports as to exactly how many people were involved in this conspiracy and how many are still at large.

We also have no information regarding how far advanced these plans were and how close they were to being brought into action.

I still stand by my opinion that these incidents are isolated in their nature and frequency - its not as if we are thwarting the best paid plans of terrorists every couple of weeks.

It also seems to co-incidence to me that this potential terrorist attack has been attempted during the heated conflict in Lebanon - where the US and UK continue to try and play the role of diplomats whilst strongly taking the side of one of the participants.

I'll await further details before I go into more detail and leave the knee jerk reactions to people like yourself.

NM

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I was actually waiting for a few more of the facts to come to light before I jumped in.

At this minute we have conflicting reports as to exactly how many people were involved in this conspiracy and how many are still at large.

We also have no information regarding how far advanced these plans were and how close they were to being brought into action.

I still stand by my opinion that these incidents are isolated in their nature and frequency - its not as if we are thwarting the best paid plans of terrorists every couple of weeks.

It also seems to co-incidence to me that this potential terrorist attack has been attempted during the heated conflict in Lebanon - where the US and UK continue to try and play the role of diplomats whilst strongly taking the side of one of the participants.

I'll await further details before I go into more detail and leave the knee jerk reactions to people like yourself.

NMwell im glad your country had a more pro active response than the one you seem to display. you must think it is the muslim terrorists right to make these plans and no crime is committed until people actually die. intercepted transmissions from pakistan instructed them to "do it now". plane tickets were found suggesting a dry run last weds or thurs (yesterday) and the actual date of attack was gonna be next wednesday. since i watched this on the news (cnn) i wont bother providing a link. you will only believe it when you come across all the facts on your own anyways.

Livinginthe past
08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
well im glad your country had a more pro active response than the one you seem to display. you must think it is the muslim terrorists right to make these plans and no crime is committed until people actually die. intercepted transmissions from pakistan instructed them to "do it now". plane tickets were found suggesting a dry run last weds or thurs (yesterday) and the actual date of attack was gonna be next wednesday. since i watched this on the news (cnn) i wont bother providing a link. you will only believe it when you come across all the facts on your own anyways.

Of course I dont feel that people have to die before a crime is committed.

We have had a number of botched anti-terrorist operations in the UK over the last few months - that have resulted in the murder of a completely innocent Brazilian citizen and and a non-terrorist Muslim being shot by 'accident'.

Its kinda hard to not look pro-active when I compare myself to someone who thinks a religious armageddon is unavoidable and all thats left to do is pick which side you're going to be on.

NM

MattsMe
08-11-2006, 08:51 PM
We have had a number of botched anti-terrorist operations in the UK over the last few months - that have resulted in the murder of a completely innocent Brazilian citizen and and a non-terrorist Muslim being shot by 'accident'.

I'm just curious, what exactly was your point here?

Livinginthe past
08-11-2006, 08:56 PM

My point was that our 'intelligence' accuracy has been less than impressive since the 'War On Terror' began.

Important facts often only emerge into the daylight after a few days or maybe a week - a little like Bush and Blairs game of Fantasy WMD in Iraq - only after a few weeks did it become common knowledge that Blair had deliberately misled his own government, and by extension the citizens of the UK, as to the likelihood of WMD's being found.

Who's to say something like this wont emerge in the next couple of days.

Its Blair and his cronies I dont trust - not our policemen and women

NM

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Of course I dont feel that people have to die before a crime is committed.

Its kinda hard to not look pro-active when I compare myself to someone who thinks a religious armageddon is unavoidable and all thats left to do is pick which side you're going to be on.

NM you mean theres been 2 murders in england in the past few months? :yikes: (God forbid! - note the sarcasm, its a part of life)

if the world would just listen to your plans to thwart religious armageddon, im sure we would all live in a better place. in the meantime 5-10 planes would be blown up over the atlantic while you waited for "more evidence" (evidence authorities much more knowledgable than you already had)

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 09:03 PM

notice how "a number" has replaced the actual number of 2?

MattsMe
08-11-2006, 09:41 PM
notice how "a number" has replaced the actual number of 2?

Yes, and the muslim being shot by 'accident'. Maybe it would be more acceptable if he'd been shot on purpose. Or maybe he doesn't really believe it was an accident. No wait, that couldn't be, he said himself he trusts the policemen and women. This is getting old.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Police Eye Money Trail in Airliner Plot
By JENNIFER QUINN and PAUL HAVEN, Associated Press Writers

21 minutes ago

LONDON - Investigators on three continents worked to fill in the full, frightening picture Friday of a plot to blow U.S. jetliners out of the Atlantic skies, tracking the money trail and seizing more alleged conspirators in the teeming towns of eastern Pakistan.

One arrested there, a Briton named Rashid Rauf, is believed to have been the operational planner and to have connections with al-Qaida in Afghanistan, Pakistani and U.S. officials said.

British and Pakistani authorities have arrested as many as 41 people in the two countries in connection with the alleged suicidal plan, broken up by British police this week, to detonate disguised liquid explosives aboard as many as 10 planes bound from Britain to the United States.

"The terrorists intended a second Sept. 11," said Frances Fragos Townsend, White House homeland security adviser.

New information underlined how close they were to mounting attacks.

After the first arrests in Pakistan some days ago, word went from Pakistan to the London plotters to move ahead quickly, a message intercepted by an intelligence agency, a U.S. official disclosed on condition of anonymity. That prompted British police to move in on the conspirators, long under watch.

British Home Secretary John Reid told reporters officials were confident the main suspects in the plot were in custody. But authorities "would go where any further evidence takes us," he said.

"I think it's pretty clear that in this case, we don't have everybody," Townsend told The Associated Press in Washington.

The British government released the names of 19 of the 24 arrested in Britain _ many apparently British Muslims of Pakistani ancestry _ and froze their assets. One of the 24 detainees later was freed.

The record of financial transactions, along with telephone and computer records, may help investigators trace more people in the alleged plot.

"Think of it as a river _ you look upstream to find the source, and downstream to find out where the money is going," said Cliff Knuckey, former chief money laundering investigator for Scotland Yard.

American authorities were looking for any U.S. links in the conspiracy. Hundreds of FBI agents checked possible leads the past few weeks, including what two U.S. counterterrorism officials said, on condition of anonymity, were calls the British suspects placed to several U.S. cities.

But the U.S. homeland security secretary said Friday nothing significant had emerged. "Currently, we do not have evidence that there was, as part of this plot, any plan to initiate activity inside the United States or that the plotting was done in the United States," Michael Chertoff said.

Britain kept its threat assessment level at "critical," indicative of an imminent attack. Extraordinary security measures continued at British airports, although the backlog of passengers eased from Thursday's chaotic conditions, when hundreds of flights were canceled.

At Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport, around 70 percent of flights operated Friday, but many people turned around and headed home after an announcement that a raft of flights had been canceled, including British Airways services to San Francisco and Los Angeles.

At U.S. airports, airlines were recruiting more baggage handlers as U.S. travelers _ facing new rules banning almost all liquids from carry-on luggage _ adapted by checking bags they normally would have carried aboard. American passengers faced a second level of security checks starting Friday, with random bag searches at boarding gates.

The alleged terrorists were planning to assemble their bombs aboard the aircraft, apparently with a peroxide-based solution disguised as beverages or other harmless-seeming items, and using such electronic equipment as a disposable camera or a music player as a detonator, two U.S. law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

A U.S. intelligence official said they planned to deploy a couple of attackers per plane, and the two dozen plotters didn't all know one another _ a typical security measure in terror groups.

London's Evening Standard reported the plotters apparently chose next Wednesday as a target date, since they had tickets for a United Airlines flight that day, as well as ones for this Friday, apparently a test-run to see whether they could smuggle chemicals aboard in soft-drink containers.

The paper didn't report the flight's destination, but United has flights from Heathrow to New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

The British say their inquiry began months ago _ prompted by a tip from within the British Muslim community after the bloody July 7, 2005, terror bombings of the London transit system, The Washington Post reported.

There were signs preparations stepped up recently. One of the houses raided by British police this week had been bought last month by two men in an all-cash deal, in a neighborhood of $300,000 houses, neighbors reported.

Pakistani officials said British information led to the first arrests in Pakistan about a week ago, of two British nationals, including Rauf, called a "key person" by the Pakistani Foreign Ministry.

Pakistan's interior minister, Aftab Khan Sherpao, said Rauf has ties with al-Qaida and was apprehended in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border area. The Foreign Ministry in Islamabad spoke of "indications" of a link between Rauf and al-Qaida in Afghanistan.

On an unspecified date, Pakistani authorities also arrested five Pakistanis as alleged `facilitators" for the Britons in the major cities of Lahore and Karachi. An intelligence official in Islamabad said 10 other Pakistanis had been arrested Friday in the district of Bhawalpur, about 300 miles south of Islamabad near the Indian border.

Pakistan is both a key U.S.-British ally in the antiterror campaign, and a hotbed of Islamic radicalism and likely hiding place for al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

"I am 120 percent convinced there's a link" with al-Qaida, Louis Caprioli, a former top French counterintelligence official, said of the trans-Atlantic bombing plot. "Was it al-Qaida who contacted them, or vice versa? Only the investigation will be able to tell."

Scotland Yard didn't identify the lone detainee released Friday from among 24 arrested in London, the town of High Wycombe 35 miles west of London, and the central city of Birmingham.

The 19 identified ranged in age from 17 to 35, had Muslim names and appeared to be of Pakistani descent, although many were born and all reared in Britain.

One not on the list of 19 names was believed to be a young woman in her 20s with a 6-month-old baby. At least three people among the suspects were converts to Islam. It was unclear how the alleged plotters met, or who the ringleader was, although suspicion fell on the only one identified who is over 30 _ Shamin Mohammed Uddin, 35, of east London.

A teenage neighbor of suspect Assad Sarwar, 26, who lived with his parents in High Wycombe, said Sarwar had become increasingly strident after the London transit bombings, in which four suicide bombers killed 52 other people. "He started talking about terrorism and acting like it's OK to blow up people," said Nawaz Chaudhry, 17.

At least one "martyrdom" tape, the type left by suicide bombers, was found in the British raids, a U.S. law enforcement official said.

Under Britain's toughened antiterrorism laws, suspects can be held for up to 28 days without charge. On Friday, detention orders for 22 suspects were extended through Wednesday. The 23rd suspect, still in custody, will have a detention extension hearing Monday.

___

Associated Press writers Jill Lawless and Matt Moore in London, Katie Fretland in High Wycombe, England, Rob Harris in Birmingham, England, William J. Kole in Vienna and Sadaqat Jan in Islamabad contributed to this report.

I think i'm gonna wait til all the evidence is in...:dang: :footinmou what are you waiting for LITP bodies??? :jerkit:

This also goes out to all you guys defending the Times right to publish the story about following the money trails of the terroists maybe just some things are left unsaid!

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 10:37 PM

21 minutes ago

LONDON - Investigators on three continents worked to fill in the full, frightening picture Friday of a plot to blow U.S. jetliners out of the Atlantic skies, tracking the money trail and seizing more alleged conspirators in the teeming towns of eastern Pakistan.

One arrested there, a Briton named Rashid Rauf, is believed to have been the operational planner and to have connections with al-Qaida in Afghanistan, Pakistani and U.S. officials said.

British and Pakistani authorities have arrested as many as 41 people in the two countries in connection with the alleged suicidal plan, broken up by British police this week, to detonate disguised liquid explosives aboard as many as 10 planes bound from Britain to the United States.

"The terrorists intended a second Sept. 11," said Frances Fragos Townsend, White House homeland security adviser.

New information underlined how close they were to mounting attacks.

After the first arrests in Pakistan some days ago, word went from Pakistan to the London plotters to move ahead quickly, a message intercepted by an intelligence agency, a U.S. official disclosed on condition of anonymity. That prompted British police to move in on the conspirators, long under watch.

British Home Secretary John Reid told reporters officials were confident the main suspects in the plot were in custody. But authorities "would go where any further evidence takes us," he said.

"I think it's pretty clear that in this case, we don't have everybody," Townsend told The Associated Press in Washington.

The British government released the names of 19 of the 24 arrested in Britain _ many apparently British Muslims of Pakistani ancestry _ and froze their assets. One of the 24 detainees later was freed.

The record of financial transactions, along with telephone and computer records, may help investigators trace more people in the alleged plot.

"Think of it as a river _ you look upstream to find the source, and downstream to find out where the money is going," said Cliff Knuckey, former chief money laundering investigator for Scotland Yard.

American authorities were looking for any U.S. links in the conspiracy. Hundreds of FBI agents checked possible leads the past few weeks, including what two U.S. counterterrorism officials said, on condition of anonymity, were calls the British suspects placed to several U.S. cities.

But the U.S. homeland security secretary said Friday nothing significant had emerged. "Currently, we do not have evidence that there was, as part of this plot, any plan to initiate activity inside the United States or that the plotting was done in the United States," Michael Chertoff said.

Britain kept its threat assessment level at "critical," indicative of an imminent attack. Extraordinary security measures continued at British airports, although the backlog of passengers eased from Thursday's chaotic conditions, when hundreds of flights were canceled.

At Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport, around 70 percent of flights operated Friday, but many people turned around and headed home after an announcement that a raft of flights had been canceled, including British Airways services to San Francisco and Los Angeles.

At U.S. airports, airlines were recruiting more baggage handlers as U.S. travelers _ facing new rules banning almost all liquids from carry-on luggage _ adapted by checking bags they normally would have carried aboard. American passengers faced a second level of security checks starting Friday, with random bag searches at boarding gates.

The alleged terrorists were planning to assemble their bombs aboard the aircraft, apparently with a peroxide-based solution disguised as beverages or other harmless-seeming items, and using such electronic equipment as a disposable camera or a music player as a detonator, two U.S. law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

A U.S. intelligence official said they planned to deploy a couple of attackers per plane, and the two dozen plotters didn't all know one another _ a typical security measure in terror groups.

London's Evening Standard reported the plotters apparently chose next Wednesday as a target date, since they had tickets for a United Airlines flight that day, as well as ones for this Friday, apparently a test-run to see whether they could smuggle chemicals aboard in soft-drink containers.

The paper didn't report the flight's destination, but United has flights from Heathrow to New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

The British say their inquiry began months ago _ prompted by a tip from within the British Muslim community after the bloody July 7, 2005, terror bombings of the London transit system, The Washington Post reported.

There were signs preparations stepped up recently. One of the houses raided by British police this week had been bought last month by two men in an all-cash deal, in a neighborhood of $300,000 houses, neighbors reported.

Pakistani officials said British information led to the first arrests in Pakistan about a week ago, of two British nationals, including Rauf, called a "key person" by the Pakistani Foreign Ministry.

Pakistan's interior minister, Aftab Khan Sherpao, said Rauf has ties with al-Qaida and was apprehended in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border area. The Foreign Ministry in Islamabad spoke of "indications" of a link between Rauf and al-Qaida in Afghanistan.

On an unspecified date, Pakistani authorities also arrested five Pakistanis as alleged `facilitators" for the Britons in the major cities of Lahore and Karachi. An intelligence official in Islamabad said 10 other Pakistanis had been arrested Friday in the district of Bhawalpur, about 300 miles south of Islamabad near the Indian border.

Pakistan is both a key U.S.-British ally in the antiterror campaign, and a hotbed of Islamic radicalism and likely hiding place for al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

"I am 120 percent convinced there's a link" with al-Qaida, Louis Caprioli, a former top French counterintelligence official, said of the trans-Atlantic bombing plot. "Was it al-Qaida who contacted them, or vice versa? Only the investigation will be able to tell."

Scotland Yard didn't identify the lone detainee released Friday from among 24 arrested in London, the town of High Wycombe 35 miles west of London, and the central city of Birmingham.

The 19 identified ranged in age from 17 to 35, had Muslim names and appeared to be of Pakistani descent, although many were born and all reared in Britain.

One not on the list of 19 names was believed to be a young woman in her 20s with a 6-month-old baby. At least three people among the suspects were converts to Islam. It was unclear how the alleged plotters met, or who the ringleader was, although suspicion fell on the only one identified who is over 30 _ Shamin Mohammed Uddin, 35, of east London.

A teenage neighbor of suspect Assad Sarwar, 26, who lived with his parents in High Wycombe, said Sarwar had become increasingly strident after the London transit bombings, in which four suicide bombers killed 52 other people. "He started talking about terrorism and acting like it's OK to blow up people," said Nawaz Chaudhry, 17.

At least one "martyrdom" tape, the type left by suicide bombers, was found in the British raids, a U.S. law enforcement official said.

Under Britain's toughened antiterrorism laws, suspects can be held for up to 28 days without charge. On Friday, detention orders for 22 suspects were extended through Wednesday. The 23rd suspect, still in custody, will have a detention extension hearing Monday.

___

Associated Press writers Jill Lawless and Matt Moore in London, Katie Fretland in High Wycombe, England, Rob Harris in Birmingham, England, William J. Kole in Vienna and Sadaqat Jan in Islamabad contributed to this report.

I think i'm gonna wait til all the evidence is in...:dang: :footinmou what are you waiting for LITP bodies??? :jerkit:

This also goes out to all you guys defending the Times right to publish the story about following the money trails of the terroists maybe just some things are left unsaid!since litp didnt provide this link or source i think i will wait for his final analysis before i believe what you have posted. :rolleyes:

Livinginthe past
08-12-2006, 01:16 AM
What can I say?

I have my own opinions on this subject and many others - and all the 'jerk it' and 'foot in mouth' smileys wont change that.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
thank god not all the english are far left frenchmen. :sweating: have you ever considerd joining the aclu???

Livinginthe past
08-12-2006, 02:36 PM
thank god not all the english are far left frenchmen. :sweating: have you ever considerd joining the aclu???

You see how you said I was English?

That kinda precludes me from being a 'far left frenchman' doesn't it?

Your racist, laughably stereotypical views do you a great dis-service.

NM

j-dawg
08-12-2006, 03:38 PM

This also goes out to all you guys defending the Times right to publish the story about following the money trails of the terroists maybe just some things are left unsaid!

hey man watch this and than talk to me about leaving things "unsaid".
http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/2006/06/28/keith-strikes-back-against-nyt-bashers/

Stillers#1
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM

NM

You're a limey? I knew there was something I liked about you. I go through Engladn on every deployment, yinz can drink. I love me some Caffrey's.

I'm glad thisplot was foiled though, if it wasn't I wouldn't have been able to come home this week and go tailgating next weekend at the Vikes game.

Livinginthe past
08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
You're a limey? I knew there was something I liked about you. I go through Engladn on every deployment, yinz can drink. I love me some Caffrey's.

I'm glad thisplot was foiled though, if it wasn't I wouldn't have been able to come home this week and go tailgating next weekend at the Vikes game.

Hey Stillers#1,

I bet you thought it was my favorte football team that endeared me to you, right? :cool:

We do like a drink over here thats true - its not a proper drink if it isn't a binge drink - thats our motto on these shores.

Caffreys is tasty enough - haven't got the stamina (or the stomach capacity) to handle a full night on the stuff though!

Where abouts do you stop over in the England when you are here, and how long for?

NM

Livinginthe past
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
hey man watch this and than talk to me about leaving things "unsaid".
http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/2006/06/28/keith-strikes-back-against-nyt-bashers/

Hey j-dawg,

Hell of a post.

I dont know which is more scary - that the government is constantly trying to infringe upon the right of the media or the fact that people are willing to swallow what the government says without the tiniest amount of research.

I have mentioned several times that the Government (of pretty much any country) will do whatever it takes in order to stay in power.

The US government has gone one stage further (surely to be closely followed by the UK) by generating an atmosphere of distrust, paranoia and outright panic amongst the general population.

Everybody is so busy looking for the boogeyman that they are signing away one civil right after another - its worth the sacrafice they say.

The media certainly is far from perfect, but if the Republicans succeed in passing a bill that prevents the writing of stories about what the government is upto then we are on a slippery slope all the way back to 1984.

Its not just the media that is the target of delirious 'anti-patriotic' rhetoric from this government, but also the citizens of the US - they are routinely encouraged to turn against each other - those who question the motivations and the tactics of the administration are labelled as non patriots, or anti-american.

Mccarthy would be proud of what Bush and his cronies are trying to achieve.

A society that has lost or forfeited the ability to debate and question what is happening around them is a society that is at the absolute mercy of its government.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
08-13-2006, 02:37 AM

NM
racist??? please bring up the post where i came off as a racist. is being anti islamic extremist considered a racist in the uk??? as far as i know terrorist are not a race. i'm well aware you claim to be english, and maybe you are ... but this is the internet, so who really know's for sure. all i know is your anti U.S. point of views mirrors that of the french government ,not the uk. your completely entitled to your own opinion just as anyone else in the free world is,but keep in mind why your allowed to voice those opinons. were people under saddams regime allowed to publicly voice their opinion?as far as stereotypical views go, did you not just stereo type me as a racist? and again i ask you what you based your opinion on, or show some facts to support your claim. otherwise i'll just consider your personal attack as an attempt too deflect the attention from yourself. i'm not going to pretend i know what goes on in the average englishmen's head, all i have to go on is the actions and words of your government which i see in the news. the only thing i know of you is what i read here in this forum. based on what i read from you ,and from what i read or hear from the uk government{ pro U.S. ),and from the french government ( anti U.S.), your views are more of the french than the english.

Livinginthe past
08-13-2006, 03:06 AM
racist??? please bring up the post where i came off as a racist. is being anti islamic extremist considered a racist in the uk??? as far as i know terrorist are not a race. i'm well aware you claim to be english, and maybe you are ... but this is the internet, so who really know's for sure. all i know is your anti U.S. point of views mirrors that of the french government ,not the uk. your completely entitled to your own opinion just as anyone else in the free world is,but keep in mind why your allowed to voice those opinons. were people under saddams regime allowed to publicly voice their opinion?as far as stereotypical views go, did you not just stereo type me as a racist? and again i ask you what you based your opinion on, or show some facts to support your claim. otherwise i'll just consider your personal attack as an attempt too deflect the attention from yourself. i'm not going to pretend i know what goes on in the average englishmen's head, all i have to go on is the actions and words of your government which i see in the news. the only thing i know of you is what i read here in this forum. based on what i read from you ,and from what i read or hear from the uk government{ pro U.S. ),and from the french government ( anti U.S.), your views are more of the french than the english.

Wow.

you dont get it at all do you?

I rightly labelled you a bigotted racist because of your contradictory comment about me being more a left wing Frenchman.

You see, what you are doing there is grouping all frenchmen as non-patriotic left wingers - thats what we call 'stereotyping'.

How many frenchmen do you know outside of the opinions offered on this forum?

Not many I would guess.

Like all bigots your problem is rooted in ignorance - you dont know any Frenchmen so how would you know what one acted like?

And even if you did, all French men do not act the same - and they dont ride bicycles with stripey jumpers and onions round their neck either...in case you were wondering.

The Uk governemnt, and by that I presume you mean Bush's poodle Tony Blair PM, has the appearnce of being pro-US government - no matter what the topic - you can bet your last cent that Tony will be following Dubya's lead.

Maybe you need to learn the difference between how a government acts and the consensus of opinion of its civilian population.

Tony Blair does not represent the opinion of the majority of the British people.

NM

j-dawg
08-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey j-dawg,

Hell of a post.

I dont know which is more scary - that the government is constantly trying to infringe upon the right of the media or the fact that people are willing to swallow what the government says without the tiniest amount of research.

I have mentioned several times that the Government (of pretty much any country) will do whatever it takes in order to stay in power.

The US government has gone one stage further (surely to be closely followed by the UK) by generating an atmosphere of distrust, paranoia and outright panic amongst the general population.

Everybody is so busy looking for the boogeyman that they are signing away one civil right after another - its worth the sacrafice they say.

The media certainly is far from perfect, but if the Republicans succeed in passing a bill that prevents the writing of stories about what the government is upto then we are on a slippery slope all the way back to 1984.

Its not just the media that is the target of delirious 'anti-patriotic' rhetoric from this government, but also the citizens of the US - they are routinely encouraged to turn against each other - those who question the motivations and the tactics of the administration are labelled as non patriots, or anti-american.

Mccarthy would be proud of what Bush and his cronies are trying to achieve.

A society that has lost or forfeited the ability to debate and question what is happening around them is a society that is at the absolute mercy of its government.

NM

this country is polarized right now. many are feed up with failed policy but are completely behind the war on terror. i'm hoping that some common ground can be found here. my fear is that another terrorist attack will take place. i do not want that to happen. we've not gained any perspective from the past terrorist attack. 30% of americans don't even remember what year 9/11 took place!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060809/od_afp/usattackspolloffbeat_060809145351;_ylt=ArnrtaXH3Jk yylylPgoybNSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

Our leadership has given no answers to some of the simplest questions. the 9/11 commission was inept in it's findings. a perfect example is who financed the 9/11 attacks, the money trail. the official 9/11 commission states this as being "of little practical significance." :dang: i find this disturbing. i find the fixing of intelligence to invade iraq disturbing.

how easy would it be to blame the americans who question this logic as "terrorist sympathizers" in the aftermath of another terrorist attack, if not already? how easy would it be to blame the people who don't agree that we should just "trust" our leadership as being non patriotic? this is something that certainly makes me wonder how informed are the people of this country, and, in the face of tyranny, how will we THE PEOPLE respond.

MasterOfPuppets
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow.

you dont get it at all do you?

I rightly labelled you a bigotted racist because of your contradictory comment about me being more a left wing Frenchman.

so is the left wing french now considered a race??? here all along I thought races were broken down into categories such as Caucasian,Asian,etc....I didn't realize that your country of residence is now your race....:rolleyes:

You see, what you are doing there is grouping all Frenchmen as non-patriotic left wingers - thats what we call 'stereotyping'.

all i know is your anti U.S. point of views mirrors that of the french government ... as you'll notice i said french government.

How many Frenchmen do you know outside of the opinions offered on this forum?

Not many I would guess.

Like all bigots your problem is rooted in ignorance - you dont know any Frenchmen so how would you know what one acted like?

And even if you did, all French men do not act the same - and they dont ride bicycles with stripey jumpers and onions round their neck either...in case you were wondering.

The Uk governemnt, and by that I presume you mean Bush's poodle Tony Blair PM, has the appearnce of being pro-US government - no matter what the topic - you can bet your last cent that Tony will be following Dubya's lead.

Maybe you need to learn the difference between how a government acts and the consensus of opinion of its civilian population.

Tony Blair does not represent the opinion of the majority of the British people.

did you read this??

I'm not going to pretend I know what goes on in the average Englishmen's head, all I have to go on is the actions and words of your government which I see in the news. the only thing I know of you is what I read here in this forum. based on what I read from you ,and from what I read or hear from the UK government{ pro U.S. ),and from the french government ( anti U.S.), your views are more of the french than the English.
NM the key word is "government" ... so please tell me again how I am a bigoted racist

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 03:04 PM
the caucasians of france, england, and the u.s. (which make up the majority of the population) belong to the same race.

then again litp could be of chinese or pakistani descent for all we know.

j-dawg
08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
"First they came for the Arabs..."

The most pathetic thing about politicians is that if the partisan roles were reversed, the D's would be making the Republican arguments and the R's would be making the Democratic arguments.

agreed. why mess with a system that's working for both parties? to bad there's not a third party that actually has a moderate way of viewing such things....

Livinginthe past
08-14-2006, 12:43 AM
the caucasians of france, england, and the u.s. (which make up the majority of the population) belong to the same race.

then again litp could be of chinese or pakistani descent for all we know.

Thats correct.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
:mg: hmmmm...i can't seem to find litp's reply about my bigoted racism label he gave me. i guess he realized he used the wrong insult and doesn't want to admit his error...:hunch:

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
:mg: hmmmm...i can't seem to find litp's reply about my bigoted racism label he gave me. i guess he realized he used the wrong insult and doesn't want to admit his error...:hunch:

You actually want to dig this back up?

Fine.

thank god not all the english are far left frenchmen. have you ever considerd joining the aclu

This was your racist comment.

By racist I mean

rac?ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.
1.The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2.Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

You are accusing me of being a 'far-left' Frenchman - which is to say you think all or the majority of Frenchmen are left leaning.

Maybe I can give you the benefit of the doubt here - do you think that Frenchmen are inheritantly 'left wing'?

NM

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
You actually want to dig this back up?

Fine.

This was your racist comment.

By racist I mean

rac?ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.
1.The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2.Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

You are accusing me of being a 'far-left' Frenchman - which is to say you think all or the majority of Frenchmen are left leaning.

Maybe I can give you the benefit of the doubt here - do you think that Frenchmen are inheritantly 'left wing'?

NM
and once again... since when did the french become a race??? had i said a caucation frenchmen, or an asian frenchmen , then racism may be applied. can you not see the difference? and had you read the followig... "the only thing i know of you is what i read here in this forum. based on what i read from you ,and from what i read or hear from the uk government{ pro U.S. ),and from the french government ( anti U.S.), your views are more of the french than the english "... you would have realized i wasn't speaking of the french in general, but the french government.

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
and once again... since when did the french become a race??? had i said a caucation frenchmen, or an asian frenchmen , then racism may be applied. can you not see the difference? and had you read the followig... "the only thing i know of you is what i read here in this forum. based on what i read from you ,and from what i read or hear from the uk government{ pro U.S. ),and from the french government ( anti U.S.), your views are more of the french than the english "... you would have realized i wasn't speaking of the french in general, but the french government.

You are seriously debating this point on whether the French are a race or not?

That is just semantics and nit-picking - the basis of racism is the grouping together a bunch of people and allocating them specific derogotory traits.

Now you are saying I sound like somone in French Government?

Amazing.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
You are seriously debating this point on whether the French are a race or not?

That is just semantics and nit-picking - the basis of racism is the grouping together a bunch of people and allocating them specific derogotory traits.

Now you are saying I sound like somone in French Government?

Amazing.

NM
so now were redefining words to suit our purpose?:rolleyes:
my whole point is race is defined by genetics not nationality.

and actually i said your views on american policy's mirror that of the french gov. ,than that of the english. the proof is in the pudding. the english are standing with the u.s. in the war on terror,the french are oppossed to it and criticise everything the u.s. does, just as you do. so am i wrong? have i been reading your post wrong?

j-dawg
08-15-2006, 11:17 PM
english {pro us} french {anti us} the french are oppossed to it and criticise everything the u.s. does, just as you do. so am i wrong?

oh man... the french wanted the u.n. inspectors to complete their search for W.M.D's in iraq... and that translates as the french opposing and criticizing everything the u.s. does? you still calling french fries freedom fries? :sofunny: france is a part of NATO... a PRO US organization. The french military wanted to commit 15,000 troops in iraq... but they didn't think the timetable for invasion was right. are you going to label everyone who criticizes this administrations rush to war, including american citizens, anti u.s.? 'cause guess what brother, there's A LOT of people in this country who believe we were mislead into invading iraq and ARE PROUD Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9709-2004Oct5.html