PDA

View Full Version : Schefter just tweeted that Plaxico is on his way to Pittsburgh to meet with the team

LayingTheWoodley56
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Here's the tweet:

Filed to ESPN: Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is expected to go to Pittsburgh to meet with and take a physical for the Steelers. Need WR help

Thoughts, Steeler Nation? I don't hate it - I always had a soft spot for Plax. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in the black and gold for as long as we need him, it's better than signing Clemons or something from the practice squad.

pete74
11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I wouldnt mind. Doubt he would see much playing time unless someone else gets hurt though.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 05:53 PM
as long as he doesn't go all cheddar bob and shoot himself again

antonio brown injury worse than we thought? or is cotch banged up?

if anything we need qb help. if leftwich indeed has 2 cracked ribs, then he won't be able to play for a while. we aren't going into any game with only charlie batch as our only active qb

FrancoLambert
11-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Maybe he can play QB.

sloppyjoe
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
sweet. come on plax. all he has to do is give an effort and he would be better than wallace

Atlanta Dan

My guess is Cotchery is going to miss some time and that the Steelers need someone other than Gilreath at WR to go with Sanders and Wallace. I have heard Brown is scheduled to return for the next Baltimore game.

Darkstorm05

I would think this indicates Cotchery is out. The hit he took pretty much knocked him cold, so he could be out for the season if it's so bad we're talking to Plax.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
he did score 8 touchdowns last year on a team quarterbacked by dirty sanchez. who knows, maybe he does have something left in the tank

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Again with the Plex talk geeesh
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l66/rbadman/BurressGunCrime.jpg

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Beats Limas Sweed.

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Maybe he can play QB.

probably not, but with who we have at QB now we need a tall guy with really long arms. :wink02:

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
he did score 8 touchdowns last year on a team quarterbacked by dirty sanchez. who knows, maybe he does have something left in the tank

Bit of a tangent, but I found it funny the Jets Vs Patriots preview commercial billed it as Tom Brady and the Patriots vs Rex Ryan and the Jets. Sanchez isn't worth as much to the team as Rex? Haha...loser.

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Plaxico isn't a bad WR and because Haley loves three-receiver sets so much, this could indicate he'll be the third guy until Brown gets healthy. This isn't a bad move, guys. He's a solid receiver and a more reliable option than Gilreath at this point.

Let's hope he passes his physical.

StainlessStill
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
He showed he still has redzone presence last season with the Jets. With Brown out and now Cotchery with ribs, he's the best athlete out there and will probably play immediately.

teegre
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I bet that Plax can drag his feet in the end-zone.

stb_steeler
11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
While were at it, why cant we get Hines to fill in.........:hatsoff:

TRH
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing him back. I haven't looked - is Cotchery hurt from the big hit last night?

SteelCurtain5643
11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm all for this. Plax will be alot better when he has someone who can throw him the ball, unlike Mark Sanchez

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO THROW IT TO HIM?!?!?!?

PhantomJB93
11-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I was for signing him in the offseason and I'm still for this, especially if cheap. The dude caught 8 TDs last year, from MARK SANCHEZ. He's still got something left in the tank.

If Brown and Cotchery are both out we could definitely use him.

SteelCurtain5643
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I would think this indicates Cotchery is out. The hit he took pretty much knocked him cold, so he could be out for the season if it's so bad we're talking to Plax.

Rotoworld says he has an undisclosed injury, but it obviously cant be all that good im guessing

TRH
11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
i just heard the latest Shefter and Mortensen report..

Burress is in Pittsburgh right now....he'll be taking a physical and doing a workout tomorrow. Schefter also said that word around the league was that Pittsburgh would never bring him back to town (due to all the rumors earlier this year) if they didn't have the intent of signing him.

Look for him to be signed tomorrow sometime.

beer72
11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I like it...he will play hard to prove himself :drink:

Men of Steel
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
im all for plax. if he can make the catches in the redzone that wallace cant... then hell yea bring him on board!:tt03:

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Maybe Cotch is hurt and a long term plan for a much cheaper option for Wallace next year? Total guess...

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Guys, this isn't a long term signing and replacement for Wallace - he's 35 years old. This is a bandaid because of the injuries have been out of control.

nj1923steelgirl
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
If it will help for the rest of the year bring in Plax.....but just for this year......

SoCalFan
11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Brown & Cotch are hurt, Wallace cant catch anymore, bring him on! Im willing to bet this is brought on at Bens request as he always liked Plexiglass!

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I think this site should be renamed to fuckmikewallace.com.

:doh:

TRH
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Guys, this isn't a long term signing and replacement for Wallace - he's 35 years old. This is a bandaid because of the injuries have been out of control.

Correct. This will probably just be for the remainder of the year.
However, the chances of us re-signing Wallace, especially after his up and down play this year, is slim-to-none (and thats on the high-end).
We already have our big-ticket receiver (Brown) - and its become painfully obvious that on the defensive side of the ball we're on borrowed time because of age - we need ALOT of money to even start over on that side of the ball.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
I think this site should be renamed to fuckmikewallace.com.

Some potential aliases:

www.droppedtheball.com
www.onetrickpony.com
www.youngmoney.com
www.left14onthefield.com

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-19-2012, 07:25 PM
However, the chances of us re-signing Wallace, especially after his up and down play this year, is slim-to-none (and thats on the high-end).

Depends on how much he and his agent think he is worth after this season.

TRH
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Depends on how much he and his agent think he is worth after this season.

believe it or not - in this day and age - these agents and players still will ask for the dozens of millions they wanted in the first place (even if they had a sub-par year) - and do their best to get it - somewhere.
My guess is they'll ask for at least what they wanted before....if not even more based on yearly increases and other comparison free agents.

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Q: What did Plaxico Burress say when the Steelers offered to pick him up at the airport and give him a ride to team HQs?

A: “Only if I can ride shotgun!”

Lokki
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Can you spot the difference? One Mike Wallace gave 60 minutes each week, the other barely gives 60 seconds.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3FoK-lgL1N4/T4Q-ab2cUwI/AAAAAAAABSM/oWbZuRu-8nY/s1600/Wallace+1.jpg

http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MikeWallace1.jpg

Lokki
11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Q: What did Plaxico Burress say when the Steelers offered to pick him up at the airport and give him a ride to team HQs?

A: “Only if I can ride shotgun!”

I hear that Plax will only play in the pistol formation.

steeltheone
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
I never thought the Steelers would mess with this guy, after he " blew us off " for the Jets a few years back. I would not even consider him.

BlaZeQuietly
11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
That's fine, he will need him when we get rid of Wallace. I used to think Mike Wallace was so awesome, but now that the steelers have got a lot of air time this year, I notice he plays with no passion. Screw Wallace.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Can you spot the difference? One Mike Wallace gave 60 minutes each week, the other barely gives 60 seconds.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3FoK-lgL1N4/T4Q-ab2cUwI/AAAAAAAABSM/oWbZuRu-8nY/s1600/Wallace+1.jpg

http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MikeWallace1.jpgWell played .....:applaudit:

KNOCKS DOWN ANOTHER ONE!!!

I havent seen this kind of rapid action since Chuck Connors ........(you do know the TV show he was in :wink02: )

Terminator
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I always liked Plaxico. The guy is fucking huge (6'5"). That is Calvin Johnson big. He is a huge red zone threat. I could definitely see this working for situational drives. I am totally OK with this.

Will he take back #80?

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I never thought the Steelers would mess with this guy, after he " blew us off " for the Jets a few years back. I would not even consider him.

if the Steelers take Plaxico back they could very well be shooting themselves in the foot.

ETL
11-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are. :rofl:

ETL
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
If and when Plax wears a Steeler uniform again, I will root for him to do well like I root for any Steeler

EbonySteel86
11-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Why not resign Hines? He training for the Iron man competition so he gotta be in shape. He cam give us a few games.

Bayz101
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Why not resign Hines? He training for the Iron man competition so he gotta be in shape. He cam give us a few games.

He works for NBC. I'm pretty sure he'll have some Sunday night games to work with, with the exception of last nights festivities at Heinz.

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
im all for plax. if he can make the catches in the redzone that wallace cant... then hell yea bring him on board!:tt03:

This. Big ass possession receiver.

Plaxiglass Miller Sanders Antonio Brown

EbonySteel86
11-19-2012, 10:11 PM
He works for NBC. I'm pretty sure he'll have some Sunday night games to work with, with the exception of last nights festivities at Heinz.

......oh.:frown::

Terminator
11-19-2012, 10:25 PM
If Hines came back, I would have a Black and Gold orgasm that would shatter the gates of heaven. Not sure how much help he could be, but that would be my level of excitement.

Blackout
11-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Burress was pretty good last year.

If it means to get another ring, bring him on.

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Plaxico Burress to visit Steelers

Updated: November 19, 2012
ESPN.com news services

Free-agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress is expected to visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers and take a physical with his former team, a league source told ESPN Monday.

Burress traveled to Pittsburgh on Monday and will visit with the team Tuesday, according to the source.

Burress played last season with the New York Jets after spending nearly two years in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

Despite missing the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Burress was productive with the Jets, hauling in 45 receptions and eight touchdowns. But the 35-year-old has remained unsigned throughout this season despite reportedly drawing interest from multiple teams.

The 6-foot-5 Burress would significantly bolster an injury-plagued receiving corps in Pittsburgh (6-4, second in the AFC North). Starting wideout Antonio Brown has missed the past two games due to a sprained ankle, and Jerricho Cotchery also was injured late in Sunday's loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

The eighth overall selection in the 2000 NFL draft, Burress spent his first five seasons with the Steelers before signing as a free agent with the New York Giants in 2005.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653834/plaxico-burress-expected-visit-take-physical-pittsburgh-steelers-source

Lady Steel
11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm really surprised by this. The last time we spoke of Plax returning to Pittsburgh, I didn't think there was any way the Steelers would bring him back. I thought he burned his bridges behind him.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel now. I'm sort of indifferent about it, but yet have a very bad feeling at the same time.

Hawaii 5-0
11-20-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm really surprised by this. The last time we spoke of Plax returning to Pittsburgh, I didn't think there was any way the Steelers would bring him back. I thought he burned his bridges behind him.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel now. I'm sort of indifferent about it, but yet have a very bad feeling at the same time.

Visiting Burress makes sense for Steelers

NOV 19
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

There's depth concerns for the Pittsburgh Steelers beyond the quarterback position. With Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery injured, the Steelers are eyeing a reunion with Plaxico Burress to help out at wide receiver.

Burress, 35, who played for the Steelers from from 2000 to 2004, is expected to go to Pittsburgh to take a physical for the Steelers. This is the right move by the Steelers, and I'm surprised that Burress is still available.

If nothing else, he will be a big target in the red zone. The 6-foot-5 Burress caught eight touchdowns last season. The knock on Burress is he doesn't get separation anymore. Still, he had 45 catches last season from Mark Sanchez, so that tells me he can be productive with most quarterbacks. Plus, the Steelers have speed with Sanders and Mike Wallace. Burress can complement them.

There was talk that the Steelers were interested in signing Burress in training camp when Wallace was a holdout. But Burress reportedly wanted too much money. Now, over halfway through the season, Burress needs a job and the Steelers need a productive receiver. It makes sense for the Steelers to sign Burress if he passes the physical.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59449/steelers-make-right-move-to-bring-in-burress

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Cotchery's job is yours for the taking, Plex.

come and get some love

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Who gets cut if we Sign Plaxico & a QB?

jjpro11
11-20-2012, 12:45 AM
You never know.. Look at what Danario Alexander is doing after being signed mid-season. I realize he is a young guy who was unproven before being signed. Maybe a reunion with Ben is just what Burress needs to make a difference at this point in his career.

JWashington
11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Plax and Heath in the redzone will be hell on secondaries.

tanda10506
11-20-2012, 01:20 AM

It doesn't surprise me that we are looking for another WR, I don't see Wallace being here after this year if he continues to play like this. Plus our WR's couldn't get open AT ALL last night without Brown. I don't think anybody gets cut though, won't we just be de-activating Leftwich and Gilreath? I'm no expert on contracts and rosters, but either way I kind of like the idea this time around even though I despised it last time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2012, 01:26 AM

the ILB from S Carolina St?? Demarcus Van Dyke?? Malecki?? lots of options.

Hawaii 5-0
11-20-2012, 01:42 AM
the ILB from S Carolina St?? Demarcus Van Dyke?? Malecki?? lots of options.

cutting isn't going to be the problem, stopping is...

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-20-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm 100% for this move, our WR's lack size, he'd be good in the red zone. He can still play quality ball

OX1947
11-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Anything to keep that malcontent, half-ass, pre-madonna piece of shit away from any crucial play for him to screw up. 6 more games at least left and hopefully 9 or 10 left so I never have to see that peace of shit in a Steelers uniform. Bring Burress in, at least you will know with him he will play his butt off otherwise his career is over.

Steelersfan87
11-20-2012, 03:56 AM
If you're going to launch insults at players, please at least get them right. Pre-Madonna? :doh:

I believe the phrase you're searching for is "prima donna". :chuckle:

Bayz101
11-20-2012, 04:04 AM
If you're going to launch insults at players, please at least get them right. Pre-Madonna? :doh:

I believe the phrase you're searching for is "prima donna". :chuckle:

What the hell is a "Pre-Madonna"? I'm assuming the Ice Age, if it means "Before-Maddona".

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm all for him. At this point we need a red zone threat besides Heath Miller. At least Plax has shown he can do that. With minimal effort he could be better than Mike Wallace who seems to be putting the least amount of effort as possible out on the field. Not to mention Plax generally catches what is thrown at him. Mike Wallace seems to drop everything thrown at him lately. He makes Ike Taylor look like Larry Fitz.

ricardisimo
11-20-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm finding it difficult to believe that we can get through numerous seasons shorthanded on an already in-over-its-head offensive line, never once hitting the panic button, but now we might have to get through one game (the fucking Browns, for christsake) and we're signing Plaxico? It's not like he has any chemistry with Batch or Lefty anyways, so what could possibly be the advantage? Come on... tough it out. :doh:

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 05:51 AM
I'm finding it difficult to believe that we can get through numerous seasons shorthanded on an already in-over-its-head offensive line, never once hitting the panic button, but now we might have to get through one game (the fucking Browns, for christsake) and we're signing Plaxico? It's not like he has any chemistry with Batch or Lefty anyways, so what could possibly be the advantage? Come on... tough it out. :doh:

Who's going to step up in Cotchery's place though? Cotchery has been a pretty good possession type receiver for us. I think Plaxico could fill that role. The weren't asking Cotchery to do too much, and they won't ask Plaxico to do too much either. He's a better option than the practice squad guys and David Gilreath at least in my opinion. I'm not normally a fan of his but I don't see how it could hurt to give him a chance.

WVABE
11-20-2012, 06:12 AM
My nightmare has come true.

Might as well bring back Holmes and Randel El (again) while were at it.

Use who we have, this tells me the coachs wern't ready for the season.

ricardisimo
11-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Who's going to step up in Cotchery's place though? Cotchery has been a pretty good possession type receiver for us. I think Plaxico could fill that role. The weren't asking Cotchery to do too much, and they won't ask Plaxico to do too much either. He's a better option than the practice squad guys and David Gilreath at least in my opinion. I'm not normally a fan of his but I don't see how it could hurt to give him a chance.
For starters it could hurt because he's a 13-year veteran who's guaranteed minimum (even for half the year) is an immense hit on a cash-strapped team that almost certainly has not seen the last of its injuries. And he might not make a single catch. Gilreath might not make another catch this year, but he's a fraction of the cost.

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
For starters it could hurt because he's a 13-year veteran who's guaranteed minimum (even for half the year) is an immense hit on a cash-strapped team that almost certainly has not seen the last of its injuries. And he might not make a single catch. Gilreath might not make another catch this year, but he's a fraction of the cost.

I guess I hadn't thought of it from the financial standpoint. I don't know. I guess I wouldn't be disappointed if we do end up with him and I won't be too hurt if we don't. Who knows maybe Gilreath would light it up.

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
hahaha ..lookit all the panty-twisters getting hysterical because the Steelers might actually make a roster move not involving scrubs

Bring back the fade to the back corner pass....we just need a non-smurf WR to catch the ball in the EZ

and no, Limas Sweed is not an option

......that's what I say

FacemeIke
11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Bring back the fade to the back corner pass....

I have such a pet peeve for the fade pass. Its like saying "lets not try to let 1 of our 4 recievers try to get open. Lets instead just throw it to the corner of the end zone to one pre-determined reciever and hope for the best." But, what do I know like every team does it. I'd love to see the statistics on how often it works though. At least 50% of them end up out of bounds.

StainlessStill
11-20-2012, 10:44 AM
FMI, I agree. I never really liked the fade-ball. It's a VERY LOW percentage play. It's a matchup just waiting to be destroyed. Everything has to be pin-point or it all falls apart. You have to get the matchup, you have to put the ball in a place where the defender can't get it and the WR only has so much room to maneuver his feet. One inch off and you get the result that we saw last Sunday, or worse, an interception in the endzone if the defender sniffs it out.

I don't like it. I would much rather gun a ball to Heath Miller over the middle than to hang a pass up in the air like a punt that could be 50/50.

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
and that's why Miller has 3 or 4 guys guarding him in the EZ every time...cover him and our WR's get smothered by tall DB's....we need another option

Terminator
11-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Mr. Burress is in the building! :tt04:

TRH
11-20-2012, 11:38 AM

cool pic! I have a feeling he'll be inked today.

Lokki
11-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Guess he made it through the metal detector ok. :sofunny: