PDA

View Full Version : Reed Suspended for Sanders Hit

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Ed Reed gone for repeated headshots on defenseless receivers. IMO, since it was our guy that earned him the vacation, they should make it for our next game against them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8653359/ed-reed-baltimore-ravens-suspended-one-game-illegal-hit

TRH
11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
bad, bad, bad move on the part of the league. His one-day game pay is $423K.. It's not a near half-million dollar penalty.
The league is dancing with fire doing this to Reed and with the way they've treated James Harrison.

They were just discussing on ESPN that one big problem with this is that the league will have to treat each and every player with "3 hits", accident or not, equally. They're setting a precedent.
This is not good for Reed, not good for the game, not good for any team or player......its just another step toward the day when you won't even be able to hit someone with any type of force.
I didn't agree with the treatment of Harrison and i now dont' agree with the treatment of Reed. Ryan Clark will be the next one.

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
The union came up short on this. They should have refused to sign any deal that didn't include outside arbitration and appeals, with players or former players on the panel. Right now it's all Goodell.

Unkindness
11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I can't believe the length of time they look back to define "repeat offender". These guys hit each other multiple times/game 16 games or more per year.

Reed is a repeat offender because of a hit in 2010. Total crap.

(He did lead with his head last night. I am not buying that the Steeler lowered his head--he did--but Reed was leading with his head.)

The penalty was good. The suspension was not.

BlaZeQuietly
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Even though it's against a raven, I still think the NFL needs to butt out. Leave Reed AND Harrison alone.

teegre
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating.

It was "penalty worthy", because it was indeed helmet-to-helmet, but it was not a "dirty" hit. Ed Reed does NOT head-hunt.

I hate the Ravens, but I think that Ed Reed being suspended is an effing joke!!! Give him a fine (for hitting "too high"), but to suspend him... really???

Man I'm starting to think that Goodell is actually Vince McMahon.

teegre
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I can't believe the length of time they look back to define "repeat offender". These guys hit each other multiple times/game 16 games or more per year.

Reed is a repeat offender because of a hit in 2010. Total crap.

(He did lead with his head last night. I am not buying that the Steeler lowered his head--he did--but Reed was leading with his head.)

The penalty was good. The suspension was not.

Exactly. There HAS to be a time-frame. Otherwise, if Ray Lewis hit a dude in 1996, and then in 2004, and just now (2012)... by Goodell's rules, he would be suspended. Ridiculous!!!

And, I loathe Ray Lewis... so, that's saying something.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Goodell is a twat, and I don't think Ed Reed is a "dirty" player, per say, but he is constantly trying to light someone up rather than making a form tackle. Ravens get no sympathy from me. With the amount of people that called for James Harrison's expulsion from the NFL, I honestly don't give a crap.

FacemeIke
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Goodell is ruining the game. The game is not played in slow motion. Both Reed and Sanders were airborn at the time of the hit and sometimes helmet to helmet happens.

THe most dangerous hit of the night was the chop block on Hampton. But Goodell won't do anything about that becuase it helps the offense and Goodell gets off on the league having more offense.

Steelersfan4life0655
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
the penalty was just. but the suspension is a crock of Sh*t!! a nice fine would have been just in this hit. but suspenion is over kill!

Hawaii 5-0
11-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Goodell is a twat, and I don't think Ed Reed is a "dirty" player, per say, but he is constantly trying to light someone up rather than making a form tackle.

the same could be said about Ryan Clark.

and yes, Roger Goodell is a twat...

Steel_Bus_24
11-19-2012, 11:12 PM
This repeat offender bull sh** is freaking lunacy....... you can't be going back more then 2 seasons to label a guy a repeat offender

How many games has James played clean yet still has that sh** call in 2010 on Fitzpatrick still on his "Repeat Offender" Record

Not all of these hits come with the same intent or impact

More and more it looks like the NFL is looking for anything rough and trying to make an example of it to show the courts they "care" about player safety

ZoneBlitzer
11-20-2012, 07:53 AM
bad, bad, bad move on the part of the league. His one-day game pay is $423K.. It's not a near half-million dollar penalty.
The league is dancing with fire doing this to Reed and with the way they've treated James Harrison.

They were just discussing on ESPN that one big problem with this is that the league will have to treat each and every player with "3 hits", accident or not, equally. They're setting a precedent.
This is not good for Reed, not good for the game, not good for any team or player......its just another step toward the day when you won't even be able to hit someone with any type of force.
I didn't agree with the treatment of Harrison and i now dont' agree with the treatment of Reed. Ryan Clark will be the next one.

Wow. Half a million. That is insane. As a player, you have got to appeal. That is some serious cash.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 08:04 AM
This repeat offender bull sh** is freaking lunacy....... you can't be going back more then 2 seasons to label a guy a repeat offender

How many games has James played clean yet still has that sh** call in 2010 on Fitzpatrick still on his "Repeat Offender" Record

Not all of these hits come with the same intent or impact

More and more it looks like the NFL is looking for anything rough and trying to make an example of it to show the courts they "care" about player safety

The repeat offender part probably has something to do with the players he hit for the earlier fines. Drew Brees, and Deion Branch(A Patriot). Goodell isn't about to let that go unpunished.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
James Harrison breathed on Drew Brees and got a fine for it in 2010.

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 08:29 AM
yeah - fuck the "Ravens

The Ravens have always been a dirty team - they deserve it.

fuck em all

Now the whole world is crying over poor Ed Reed while asking... 'why couldn't they go after a guy like James Harrison instead'.

(Greenie on Mike&Mike)

I think it's hilarious the 'outraged' media hypocrites were willing to bury Harrison for the same hits, but now they have to do a 180 just because it's Reed

tony hipchest
11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
yeah - fuck the "Ravens

The Ravens have always been a dirty team - they deserve it.

fuck em all

Now the whole world is crying over poor Ed Reed while asking... 'why couldn't they go after a guy like James Harrison instead'.

(Greenie on Mike&Mike)

I think it's hilarious the 'outraged' media hypocrites were willing to bury Harrison for the same hits, but now they have to do a 180 just because it's Reed:thumbsup:

hell yeah they deserve it.

now skip and smith are up in tears as well, just how tommy jackson and the rest were on MNF pregame last night.

all espn is practically holding a vigil and whining that goodell is too mean.

yet when harrison was fined it was practically applauded.

desertsteel
11-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I can only hope that it costs the Ratbirds a game while he's out... haha

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
just heard Reed's appeal is being heard today

not much luck them losing their repeat offender for our game

damn you NFL

Terminator
11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
just heard Reed's appeal is being heard today

not much luck them losing their repeat offender for our game

damn you NFL

All fines and suspensions are appealed. It's mandatory. The possible backfire to this is that they could reinstate him while they investigate further, then hand down the suspension next week and cause him to miss the Pittsburgh game.

steelerchad
11-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Reed's suspension just got lifted. And he only gets a $50k fine instead.

Wow. I'm sure James Harrison is pretty pissed about this.
Look. I don't think he should have been suspended. But now it looks like their are 2 sets of rules for different players.

Total BS IMO.

jjpro11
11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Reed's suspension just got lifted. And he only gets a $50k fine instead.

Wow. I'm sure James Harrison is pretty pissed about this.
Look. I don't think he should have been suspended. But now it looks like their are 2 sets of rules for different players.

Total BS IMO.

I agree. I don't think it warranted a suspension.. I don't think any hits should unless the player is blatantly targeting and launching at a guy's head. But he was labeled a repeat offender, just like Harrison was.. And that's why Harrison was suspended. Why the fuck did his get lifted and Harrison's didn't?

Fire Arians
11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree. I don't think it warranted a suspension.. I don't think any hits should unless the player is blatantly targeting and launching at a guy's head. But he was labeled a repeat offender, just like Harrison was.. And that's why Harrison was suspended. Why the fuck did his get lifted and Harrison's didn't?

probably because of the severity of the hit. harrison's probably ended colt mccoy's career

steelerchad
11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
probably because of the severity of the hit. harrison's probably ended colt mccoy's career

So now they're going to try to measure the impact of the hit?
This is getting ridiculous.

Fire Arians
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
So now they're going to try to measure the impact of the hit?
This is getting ridiculous.

i don't know, just trying to justify what the NFL is thinking, they're never consistent with their level of punishment so who knows? besides i thought a repeat offense for helmet to helmet was 75k?

FrancoLambert
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM

I'm guessing classless Harbaugh bitched and moaned loud and long enough.

Rotorhead
11-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Except McCoy tucked the ball and became a runner, then like a moron, ducked his head and tried to be a runner and tried to run over Harrison. Since he was a runner he was supposed to be treated like one, as James did. James crushed him and was suspended for it. Colt ended his own career. If you are not aloud to hit a QB when he is running, then QBs shouldnt be aloud to run.

steelerchad
11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
This may backfire on the Ravens. Reed got off for now, but his playing style will put him in tough spots for the rest of the season. He'll be 2nd guessing himself the rest of the year. "Do I hit or pull up". If he does screw up again, say in the Chargers game this week, he'll then miss the Steeler game.

stb_steeler
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Its BS no matter how you look at it...:doh:

TRH
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
The NFL is playing with FIREEEEEEEEEEEE.......

Let me get one thing straight : i don't think Reed should have been suspended. Hell, i don't even think he should have been fined, as well as many other players, including ours, over the last couple of years.
But one think is crystal CLEAR. They're picking and choosing who and how much the fines are.
50K? There's been players who haven't had the penalties Reed's previously had who have been fined 75K. And Harrison? He would have been fined minimum 100K - possibly a great deal more - even for an innocent, not-on-purpose, hit.

Before too long, attorney's are going to get involved much more deeply in this mess.
They're fining one guy this amount, and the next guy that amount, and old men in suits in the office are dictating "how hard the hit was or if it was intentional or not" when they have no clue...zero.
You HAVE to have a standard. ONE standard. Not multiple standards.
Personal money/income is now at stake....so in the future i look for this to get really messy and dirty. The players attorney's will be getting game tape out showing other guys with the same amount of "hits" who didn't get fined...or were fined less...or etc, etc, etc, etc.......

Unkindness
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Harrison shouldn't have been suspended. Neither should Reed.

The league realized they were screwed. LOOKING BACK THREE YEARS?!?!?!

They were going to be suspending people weekly--certainly every 2-3 weeks. They had to back off. That's crazy. I don't know the answer. But, its not this.

It put something in perspective. I am buying a $75+ ticket and an $8 beer watching Reed play--and I love Reed. He's getting $423,000 to play that game! WOW