PDA

View Full Version : Sign McNabb!

JWashington
11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
This team has the potential to make noise in the playoffs. I don't think we can afford to gamble on some "never was" QB to hold it together while Ben recovers. DMac has done it on the biggest stages and still has something left in the tank. The Steelers would easily be the best corps of recievers he's ever played with. TO was great but after that, who???:tt04:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, after all it worked out for him in Washington........er, I mean Minnesota...........um NFL Network. :noidea:

JWashington
11-19-2012, 10:02 PM
:noidea::noidea:Yeah Washington STILL sucks even with RG3, he threw for 3,300 yards with 4 games left when he was benched for Rex who stunk it up. Who were his recievers?? Number one reciever last year was Bernard Berrian, really?. If youre gonna dog the man, be realistic about the tools he had to work with. Better yet, who's available right now that's better?

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 10:09 PM
DO NOT SIGN HIM.

He is a classic playoff choker.

NO

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
DO NOT SIGN HIM.

He is a classic playoff choker.

NO

that's fine, we won't be needing him for the playoffs. we just need someone to hold the fort until ben's back :tt04:

screw it, let's try to make a trade for tebow and do running plays 100% of the time

JWashington
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Dude, I'm not going to argue his playoffs exploits, but I can. Anyways, he would come in to be the guy. Hell, until a couple of years ago you could've said the same thing about Peyton Manning. You have to do "something" to get to the NFC championship 5 times and a SB. We just need someone serviceable, I didn't say come in and be Aaron Rogers. There is no one out there on the FA market more ready to come here and contribute until BB gets back. Who would YOU sign?

xbroughneck
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Rather have Jacksonville's old QB. (Garrard)

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
There is no one out there on the FA market more ready to come here and contribute until BB gets back. Who would YOU sign?

This is a partial list of notable unsigned free agent QBs

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Mike Kafka
9. AJ Feeley
10. Curtis Painter
11. Troy Smith

Of just those ones on the list, I'd probably pick Garrard. He knows how to win a close game.

austinfrench76
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Garrard or Mcnabb. Just not Palko!

BowCatShot
11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
We had a diamond in the rough and we cast him aside. I want him back. Calling Mr. Johnson. Oh Jarrod! Look here, Jarrod. Don't be bitter, reconsider..

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
definitely not garrard, he hasn't played since 2010. i can only assume that being out of action that long comes with a lot of rust even if you're in shape

Lokki
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Garrard was going to start the season for the Dolphins until he had to have knee surgery. He's supposedly cleared to play now.

Garrard 'ready to go': CBSSports.com NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports free agent quarterback David Garrard, who was in contention for the Dolphins' starting quarterback job before suffering a knee injury in the preseason, is healthy and cleared to work out for teams, according to his agent, Albert Irby. “He is ready to go,” Irby said.
(Updated 11/13/12)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302027/david-garrard

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Garrard was going to start the season for the Dolphins until he had to have knee surgery. He's supposedly cleared to play now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302027/david-garrard

hmm didn't know that, good catch.

JWashington
11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Put Garrards resume against DMacs, now that's funny. I like Garrard but he's coming off an injury as well. I saw a lot of Johnson in the Philly preseason game my brother and I went to. IDK, he didn't show too much IMO

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
This team has the potential to make noise in the playoffs. I don't think we can afford to gamble on some "never was" QB to hold it together while Ben recovers. DMac has done it on the biggest stages and still has something left in the tank. The Steelers would easily be the best corps of recievers he's ever played with. TO was great but after that, who???:tt04:what... steve young, brett favre or kurt warner arent good enough for ya?

anyways, back to the land of reality.

former mcnabb back-up mike kafka is coming in for a visit.

JWashington
11-19-2012, 11:14 PM
All those guys are 43 and above, he's 35 cmon bruh! Kafka is an ex Eagle "back-up" for a reason, he was whack when it came to real time game action. I watched a lot of Eagles games being the only non Eagle fan in my family. Dude don't have it. I just don't want to see this season go to waste bringing in a scrub who can't run an NFL offense. Everyone saw what happened to Chicago last year going with Caleb Hanie, disaster and the GM's azz got fired.

steve314
11-19-2012, 11:15 PM
How does this work with the cap, signing injury replacements in the middle of the year? Do they have to save cap room for this? Are they allowed to go over the cap for injury replacements? How much cap room is left?

JWashington
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't know how much cap room there is for signing, however, I would think anything would be pro-rated being this deep into the season. NFL channel says they're going work out Kafka (Career Stats: 107 passing yards, 0 tds, 2 ints, 47.7 passer rating) and Brian Hoyer (43 career pass attempts 27 completions and 1 TD, oh joy!) tomorrow. Are you kidding me??

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
How does this work with the cap, signing injury replacements in the middle of the year? Do they have to save cap room for this? Are they allowed to go over the cap for injury replacements? How much cap room is left?your 1st assumption was correct. they have to save money for this. the steelers typically keep a million "in the salary cap bank" for emergencies such as this but not exactly sure how much they have as of now,

However, a player making vet minimum of aprox $900K at the beginning of the season, would only make half of that since the season is half over and their contract would not be guaranteed for the rest of the year.

oh and mcnabb may be 35 but plays like hes 53.

JWashington
11-20-2012, 12:08 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think he can come in and be a good back-up, far better than what they're talking about bringing in.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2012, 12:21 AM
This is a partial list of notable unsigned free agent QBs

1. David Garrard
2. Brian Hoyer
3. Josh Johnson
4. Vince Young
5. Sage Rosenfels
6. Seneca Wallace
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Mike Kafka
9. AJ Feeley
10. Curtis Painter
11. Troy Smith

Of just those ones on the list, I'd probably pick Garrard. He knows how to win a close game.

Of the list I actually want Seneca Wallace. He played enough west coast short passing game to work in Haley's system. Also, he has the athleticism to move the chains with his feet and do enough to win close games with the Steelers.

JWashington
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
He wouldn't be a bad choice, my only question of him is can he go long if need be?

kent
11-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Of the list I actually want Seneca Wallace. He played enough west coast short passing game to work in Haley's system. Also, he has the athleticism to move the chains with his feet and do enough to win close games with the Steelers.

He would be my choice as well. Mobile and experieced although never successful. He would also know the browns defense very well.

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 03:18 AM
I like McNabb or Garrard. Both have been starters and both have had success at times. Mike Kafka and Brian Hoyer... NO.

ricardisimo
11-20-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm still curious why we're not showing any interest in Jerrod Johnson. I'm not even saying sign him. Just, why not bring him in for a visit as well?

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm still curious why we're not showing any interest in Jerrod Johnson. I'm not even saying sign him. Just, why not bring him in for a visit as well?

Yeah I don't get it either. I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason.

Ricco Suavez
11-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Just heard on NFL network that Brian Hoyer coming in for a look.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Tyler Palko is also rumored to be at the facility today.

Rick5895
11-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I believe Johnson is playing in the United States football league right now. I would bring him in, he was with us in the pre-season , played well and already has knowledge of this offense. Bring him back and IR Lefty. Keep Jarrod around as the 3rd QB.

Lokki
11-20-2012, 06:45 AM
#16 in your fan guide. #1 in your hearts!

I hear Shane Falco is coming in for a look too. The Pittsburgh Replacements keep rolling.

http://www.clicker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Shane_Falco.png

Terminator
11-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Might as well stick this guy in for Troy while we are at it:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eXgMFcBgG_g/SUqOzyfx_0I/AAAAAAAADIQ/ovP2an-6r1o/s400/rudy.jpg

BowCatShot
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
3 characters. there.

BlaZeQuietly
11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Vince young

JWashington
11-25-2012, 03:18 PM
We are on the verge of pissing away this season. Get a proven vet in here.

defence
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
:drink:We are on the verge of pissing away this season. Get a proven vet in here.

FrancoLambert
11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
As mentioned earlier, Jerrod Johnson displayed a strong arm this past preseason.
He's not better than Batch??

Kanata-Steeler
11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Economically speaking, we can NOT afford a McNabb. Check out Ben's salary to understand why ? Unless you want to really start "skimping" on the rest of our D, and O, ...

fansince'76
11-25-2012, 03:54 PM

UFL contract. Doesn't really make any sense, since that league is going under for the third time, but apparently he's still contractually bound by that league.

FacemeIke
11-25-2012, 07:15 PM
McNabb was bench by Rex Grossman in his last season in the league (AND that was when he was actually in shape and not a year out of the league). Enough said.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Charlie Batch, I think thats a bit more of "enough said"

Batch was tossing up wounded ducks all game. Couldnt throw a 30 yard pass.

ricardisimo
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
UFL contract. Doesn't really make any sense, since that league is going under for the third time, but apparently he's still contractually bound by that league.
Buy it out. Wouldn't count against the cap to do so.