PDA

View Full Version : It's official. Steelers have signed Brian Hoyer for QB and Plaxico Burress for WR.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Brian Hoyer to sign with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:39 p.m. Updated: Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:52 p.m.
It's official. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich won't be on the field Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger's backup has been ruled out with multiple rib fractures. Tomlin also ruled out receiver Jerricho Cotchery with the same injury.

Word on Leftwich comes as little surprise and the Steelers had already begun preparing 37-year-old Charlie Batch for the start, NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Monday, citing a source with direct knowledge of the team's plans.

Batch has the confidence of coaches, but the Steelers, as expected, are exploring all options.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Tomlin had earlier confirmed the team worked out passers Mike Kafka and Hoyer, along with wideouts Plaxico Burress and Derrick Williams.

Tomlin listed Big Ben's status as doubtful for Cleveland, but that is generous. Roethlisberger won't face the Browns and the Steelers are planning for his absence to possibly stretch on well beyond Week 12. Tomlin and the Steelers are doing what they can to patch up that hole on an offense that remains a shell of what it was until their quarterback returns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098238/article/brian-hoyer-to-sign-with-pittsburgh-steelers

Terminator
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress
Updated: November 20, 2012, 12:55 PM ET

After watching Plaxico Burress work out Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers plan on signing the wide receiver, according to a source.

"Plaxico is in very good physical condition, from what I saw today," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Burress played last season with the New York Jets after spending nearly two years in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

Despite missing the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Burress was productive with the Jets, hauling in 45 receptions and eight touchdowns. But the 35-year-old has remained unsigned throughout this season despite reportedly drawing interest from multiple teams.

The 6-foot-5 Burress would significantly bolster an injury-plagued receiving corps in Pittsburgh (6-4, second in the AFC North). Starting wideout Antonio Brown has missed the past two games due to a sprained ankle, and Jerricho Cotchery also was injured late in Sunday's loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

The eighth overall selection in the 2000 NFL draft, Burress spent his first five seasons with the Steelers before signing as a free agent with the New York Giants in 2005.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8656224/plaxico-burress-expected-signed-pittsburgh-steelers-according-source

Terminator
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Watch the video of Burress in the ESPN link. Holy shit is he in good shape!!!

TRH
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
that didn't take long. Was expecting something later on today. I'm stoked to have Burress on the team.

jrompola
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
maybe he could have gotten 2 feet in bounds on the fade pass

steelfury02
11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
weird

Bayz101
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Thread title is slightly misleading. We haven't actually signed either of them yet. Sure, all signs are pointing that way, but no, it's not official.

Bayz101
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Holy SHIT. Plax IS looking healthy.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Thread title is slightly misleading. We haven't actually signed either of them yet. Sure, all signs are pointing that way, but no, it's not official.

Formality. :hatsoff:

Bayz101
11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Formality. :hatsoff:

Yeah, I know. :chuckle:

teegre
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Holy SHIT. Plax IS looking healthy.

I remember in pre-season, one of the female anchors on NFL Network was looking at a shirtless video of Plax doing drills, and she said something like, "Mmmm... oh my."

TO "looks" good, too.

BUT, can either of them catch and/or get open???

More importantly, on a fade route, with they get BOTH feet down (because our current #1 WR can not do that).

austinfrench76
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
On the video, they do bring up a good point. He had a nice season, all things considered last year, with the Jets. They need WR help. Why on earth is he still out there? I mean, money could be one but we certainly aren't going to pay him very much. Maybe he didn't want to go back there but I would think he would have gone anywhere rather than sitting on his couch. Just seems weird. Either way, glad to have a proven guy back. Him and Heath make our redzone offense pretty damn good. When Ben gets back...although Charlie isn't bad.

JeromeBetties63
11-20-2012, 01:40 PM
weird

Why is it weird? We have to do something.

steelfury02
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
overreact much? it will be weird to have him around again, see him in a Steelers uniform

not everyone needs to blindly follow every move the Steelers make - that is your perrogative

Even though that wasn't the case.

Sheesh.

Terminator
11-20-2012, 01:54 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098239/article/plaxico-burress-signs-with-pittsburgh-steelers

Officially official now :tt02::tt03:

ebsteelers
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
some where dumper is jumping for joy

ebsteelers
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
apparent brown must be more hurt then is being let on.

and brian hoyer?

kayfa isnt better than him?

Fire Arians
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I remember in pre-season, one of the female anchors on NFL Network was looking at a shirtless video of Plax doing drills, and she said something like, "Mmmm... oh my."

TO "looks" good, too.

BUT, can either of them catch and/or get open???

More importantly, on a fade route, with they get BOTH feet down (because our current #1 WR can not do that).

plax had 8 TD's last year on a sanchez offense. I'd say he's got something left in the tank

Fire Haley
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Officially official now

good work

Just when I was about to demand a banning for blatant attention-whoring :tt02:

steelfury02
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
plax had 8 TD's last year on a sanchez offense. I'd say he's got something left in the tank

yup - agreed. Think he will go back to #80?

Terminator
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
yup - agreed. Think he will go back to #80?

I was wondering that myself. He wore 17 for the Giants and the Jets, but that is Wallace's # now. I assume he will take #80 again. Makes the most sense.

jjpro11
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

and brian hoyer?

Hopefully it has more to do with Cotchery's injury than Brown.. Not that I am wishing a worse injury for Cotchery, but Brown has already missed two weeks whereas Cotchery just got hurt. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Brown is out several more weeks. High ankle sprains, which it sounds like it could be despite denials, take a while to heal.

MDSteel15
11-20-2012, 02:12 PM

and brian hoyer?

He is replacing Cotchery not Brown....

SoCalFan
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
So I get to sport my 10 year old Plax jersey, sweet!

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Where is this video?! I wanna see Plax look good too, haha. This is exciting, though. I feel like I stepped into a DeLorean and am back in '03.

Batch to Burress - Touchdown!

Terminator
11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Where is this video?! I wanna see Plax look good too, haha. This is exciting, though. I feel like I stepped into a DeLorean and am back in '03.

Batch to Burress - Touchdown!

They unfortunetly replaced it with something else now. But he is ripped as shit and is looking great. :tt03:

SteelersCanada
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
They unfortunetly replaced it with something else now. But he is ripped as shit and is looking great. :tt03:

If they replaced it for the video with Tim Hasselbeck ... :doh:

Show me Plax! Not a washed up has-been (never-been?)!

scottish_steeler
11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
baron batch and marshall mcfadden have been cut to make way for plax and hoyer, hopefully baron will be back

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I was wondering that myself. He wore 17 for the Giants and the Jets, but that is Wallace's # now. I assume he will take #80 again. Makes the most sense.

I bet he will. It is being worn on the practice squad by Jamie McCoy, but those jersey numbers are usually given out without a second thought.

Also, I bet Hoyer wears #8.

And just for the heck of it, here are the current available WR numbers:
10, 11*, 13, 14*, 15, 19, 80*, 82, 85, 87

*Being used by a practice squad player

Terminator
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-receiver-quarterback/7dfd572c-3b3e-4651-b8a2-93aaa21db4e2

Officially officially official.

Also, Baron Batch and Marshall McFadden have been released.

Tough break for Batchy, but sometimes you gotta trim the fat.

"It's not show friends, it's show business" - Bob Sugar

steeltheone
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-receiver-quarterback/7dfd572c-3b3e-4651-b8a2-93aaa21db4e2

Batch is not much of a loss, but who is Hoyer... Lol

Bayz101
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

:chuckle:

Prove it! :sofunny:

MDSteel15
11-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I know it's a mute point but why Hoyer??? I would have gone with any of these:

David Garrard - experience
Dennis Dixon - knows the team
Jerrod Johnson - should at least be on our practice squad!
Kevin O'Connell -
Chris Redman - Always liked him
Seneca Wallace - see Garrard but more mobile....

Especially Jerrod Johnson!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
I know it's a mute point but why Hoyer??? I would have gone with any of these:

David Garrard - experience
Dennis Dixon - knows the team
Jerrod Johnson - should at least be on our practice squad!
Kevin O'Connell -
Chris Redman - Always liked him
Seneca Wallace - see Garrard but more mobile....

Especially Jerrod Johnson!

The reason they didn't sign Johnson (in my opinion) is that they need someone experienced if Batch gets injured. In general, when your franchise QB gets injured, you want somebody who's been there before. This precludes O'Connell as well.

My other best explanations are

Garrard: Injury issues. Also he's not really someone you bring in to be a back-up, he's been a starter for almost all of his career. He probably has a higher salary also.

Dixon: He flatly turned the Steelers down.

Redman: Also possible salary issues. In addition, I don't know if you want a 35 year old backing up your 37 year old.

Wallace: More salary issues. Also is a bit of a 'gadget' QB and wouldn't be a very steady hand.

I would say Hoyer gives you lots of experience (particularly at the backup position) at a fairly lower price. His performance in the times he has played has been pretty superb as well.

casteeler
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
The Steelers WILL draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round next year.

PhantomJB93
11-20-2012, 03:34 PM

I really hope not, we really don't need to. We need a new backup, it doesn't need to be an early-round backup. Either take one in rounds 5-7 or sign a UFA.

Darkstorm05
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
The reason they didn't sign Johnson (in my opinion) is that they need someone experienced if Batch gets injured. In general, when your franchise QB gets injured, you want somebody who's been there before. This precludes O'Connell as well.

My other best explanations are

Garrard: Injury issues. Also he's not really someone you bring in to be a back-up, he's been a starter for almost all of his career. He probably has a higher salary also.

Dixon: He flatly turned the Steelers down.

Redman: Also possible salary issues. In addition, I don't know if you want a 35 year old backing up your 37 year old.

Wallace: More salary issues. Also is a bit of a 'gadget' QB and wouldn't be a very steady hand.

I would say Hoyer gives you lots of experience (particularly at the backup position) at a fairly lower price. His performance in the times he has played has been pretty superb as well.

I'm more inclined to say they didn't sign Jerrod because he's playing elsewhere already. Dixon is signed elsewhere, too. Seneca Wallace is a better janitor than QB. So what exactly are you guys thinking 1 mil was going to buy us? Eli Manning or Tom Brady rental for next Sunday?

Hawaii 5-0
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM

I highly doubt that, we have more pressing needs at S, ILB, OLB, RB and WR than drafting a QB who will sit on the bench unless Ben gets injured..

Okiemon
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM

That would go against the current trend in the NFL, which is to wait until you have a bad enough season to get a 1st round choice and then take a QB who can start as a rookie. As we did with Ben, as I recall.

Fire Arians
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
That would go against the current trend in the NFL, which is to wait until you have a bad enough season to get a 1st round choice and then take a QB who can start as a rookie. As we did with Ben, as I recall.

not always. brees was drafted in rd. 2 and wilson in rd. 3

contrary to what people say, o'donnell was actually a really good qb for us, and he was a 3rd rounder also i believe. we would have won another super bowl if he didn't jump ship to the jets and we kept kordell in his 'slash' position

FrancoLambert
11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
All things considered two good moves.
You lose Cotchery a very solid 4th WR and replace him with Plax.
It may not be much of a drop off especially situationally.
As for Hoyer, he was coached by Belichick and played with Brady....gotta be something good from that.

SoCalFan
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
All things considered two good moves.
You lose Cotchery a very solid 4th WR and replace him with Plax.
It may not be much of a drop off especially situationally.
As for Hoyer, he was coached by Belichick and played with Brady....gotta be something good from that. Yea, he might be able to film the rats practices for us!!!:toofunny:

lardlad
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Lets hope he doesn't spike a live ball again!!

Ha, had to bring that up. Anyone have a video of that?

I was not sad AT ALL to see him go but now, I don't know… kinda good to see him back.

lardlad
11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
not always. brees was drafted in rd. 2 and wilson in rd. 3

contrary to what people say, o'donnell was actually a really good qb for us, and he was a 3rd rounder also i believe. we would have won another super bowl if he didn't jump ship to the jets and we kept kordell in his 'slash' position

o'donnell was a way better QB than he is given credit for. SB 30 memories cloud his career here.

jiminpa
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
o'donnell was a way better QB than he is given credit for. SB 30 memories cloud his career here.I loved to watch him actually go hit someone on the end-arounds, and the first blitzer to him was going down. Yeah, he was way better than he is given credit for in the Burgh. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

austinfrench76
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I loved O'Donnell simply because I couldn't stand Mark Malone and then Bubby! I was just ready for an NFL caliber QB! I know Bubby had a couple of decent years )Malone actually went 11-5 once!!!) but O'Donnell was a helluva Qb, left due more to the crap he took for his 2 picks in SB 30 than anything.

Ricco Suavez
11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I actually liked Hoyer more than Kafka, BTW some web sites had him the number one available unsigned QB. Upside is he has been in the league 3+ years and had the opportunity to learn behind Brady and run the Patriot system which includes a lot of dump offs and passes to your TEs. We run an offense similar but have proven to be able to run more effective (at least lately). He is a big strong arm QB and at 27 years old should be more durable than Batch or Leftwich. Down side is he is not accurate or has much playing exp. For his brief playing time his stats are 27-43 for 286 yds and 1-1 td to int ratio.He could be a face we see in camp next year as well depending on how he fares.

Hawaii 5-0
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Brian Hoyer Could Help Steelers With Quarterback Depth In Short & Long Terms

Nov 21st, 2012 by Dominic Di Tolla

http://nicepickcowher.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/11/6474734-192x300.jpg

While the Plaxico Burress signing has garnered most of the headlines around “Steeler Nation” over the last day and a half, Pittsburgh’s Front Office also added another player to their roster on Tuesday afternoon. Due to the team’s immense and dire need of depth at the Quarterback position, the Steelers signed former New England Patriot Brian Hoyer to their roster. Although the pick-up of Burress will be a more meaningful move as far as the 2012 season goes, I personally feel like the signing of Hoyer could be yet another solid move made by G.M. Kevin Colbert & The Front Office. In fact, I believe that Pittsburgh is actually an ideal setting for a Quarterback like Hoyer, and both parties should be able to benefit from the deal.

Hoyer’s Career (2009-2011)

So who exactly is Brian Hoyer, and where did he come from? Well for those of you readers unsure or unaware, Hoyer held the clipboard as Tom Brady’s top understudy in New England, and beat out three veteran Quarterbacks as an Undrafted Free Agent to make the team in 2009. Over his three seasons in New England, Brian saw only a small amount of game-time (27 for 43, 286 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 80.2 QB Rating, 1 Rush TD), but was nevertheless able to work in one of the best environment’s for a young Quarterback. It is not often that UDFA’s are exposed to the teachings and work-ethic of people like his Quarterbacks Coach/Offensive Coordinator Bill O’Brien and Ugg Spokesman and a Three-time Super Bowl winner like Brady.

Unfortunately for Hoyer, his time in New England ended prematurely and probably had everything to do with the rest of the then-Quarterback-needy teams passing on Ryan Mallett in the 2011 N.F.L. Draft. Mallett, a guy I believed was the best pure-passer and possessed the best potential N.F.L. skill-set (arm-strength and knowledge of passing game) in that Draft Class lasted until the end of the 3rd Round that season due to some character concerns. To their credit, the Patriots jumped at the chance to take a 1st-Round talent like Mallett so late in the Draft process, and used the luxury they had with Hoyer and Brady in front of him and allow their 3rd Round selection to develop. This season however, New England felt like Mallett was their Quarterback of the future. As the #3 Quarterback and set to make $1.9 million dollars (RFA Tender), Hoyer who became the odd-man-out this past August, and was cut.

How the Steelers & Hoyer Can Benefit

With Hoyer on the roster now, the Steelers can properly gauge how well the 4th year pro picks up the Offense and whether or not he can compete for a roster spot next season with six regular season games and an entire offseason under his belt. Remember, both Batch (38 years old in 2013) and Leftwich (33 years old in 2013) will be potential Unrestricted Free Agents next season, and I have a hard time believing that the Steelers would bring both if either of them back unless Hoyer is a complete and total flop. Plus, the former Spartan will have the chance to learn under Coordinator Todd Haley, Quarterbacks Coach Randy Fichtner, as well as Roethlisberger and maybe even one of the elder statesmen over the coming seasons as he continues his development. If Hoyer eventually succeeds and earns a backup spot with the team, he could definitely help to shore up Pittsburgh’s backup Quarterback position and entrench himself as “The Guy..Behind The Guy” (“Swingers” reference I know) as the #2 Quarterback on Pittsburgh’s Depth Chart.

Final Thoughts

Pittsburgh needed to find some way to bolster their depth at Quarterback in the present and in the future, and I believe this move to sign Hoyer can accomplish both goals. I simply want the Steelers to have some sort of capable, younger (sorry Charlie), and non-injury prone option to turn to if Roethlisberger ever goes down for a significant period of time in the future. Although the 6’2″ 215 lb. Hoyer is not an elite athlete, he has learned from some of the best Teachers and Students at the craft (O’Brien & Brady), and has displayed enough of a skill-set to establish himself as a legitimate #2 on an N.F.L. roster.

Whether it is Hoyer or somebody else, the Steelers need to have a non-injury prone/non-elderly backup option behind Big Ben sooner as opposed to later. This will be especially the case when Big Ben enters his mid-30′s and a decade-plus of hits and injuries begin to really take their toll. If this situation eventually happens and Roethlisberger goes down again, I earnestly hope that Hoyer, another Free Agent, or another Draft Pick can fill in and play adequately.

Hoyer has a golden opportunity to learn and continue to develop behind and under some of the N.F.L.’s best in Pittsburgh. With the uncertainty behind Big Ben, Hoyer will likely be given every chance to wrestle the #2 spot away from Batch and Leftwich between now and the beginning of the 2013 season as well. I am crossing my fingers that this deal works out well for both parties.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/21/brian-hoyer-could-help-steelers-with-quarterback-depth-in-short-long-terms/

SteelersCanada
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Plaxico Burres and Brian Hoyer Interviews with Local Pittsburgh Media

Plaxico Burres

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Plaxico-Burress---1121/9553a5ce-1e06-4b93-b627-6419f3748a6b

It looks like he's honestly excited and anxious to get back. He seems and was acting professional and looks like he wants to get back to work. Honestly, the more I hear him talk and give interviews, the more excited I am to have him back on this team. He looks like a guy that wants to help his team under any circumstance and wants to bring this team to a championship. He "crammed the playbook" and got to work right away, making sure he was as up to date as possible. Welcome back, Plax.

Brian Hoyer

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Brian_Hoyer_1121/500fd52a-05af-4f65-858d-fb5813e18c2c

Hoyer just looked giddy to be back and playing football. I'm sure he also appreciates throwing to our guys rather than his father and father in-law. I hope the Steelers keep him around long-term as their younger option. I'm sure it'll also help his ability - how many guys get to back up Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger in their career? Welcome, Brian.

tarasovic2
11-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I assume Plaxico is mostly for Red Zone situations.
He's a headcase but we need the firepower

Fire Haley
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Go Plex!

A couple TD's and the lynch mob will back off.

Hawaii 5-0
11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I assume Plaxico is mostly for Red Zone situations.
He's a headcase but we need the firepower

maybe Plaxico catches that fade pass on 3rd and 2 in the back of the end zone that Wallace didn't...

Rick5895
11-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I've not really been a fan of Burress. That being said, with our decimation of the WR groups as a result of injury, I am hopeful he can help. Watching the video of him speaking with reporters and reading what he has to say, he appears to be wanting to put his past nonsense behind him. If thats the case, I'm glad he's here.

FanSince72
11-22-2012, 09:17 AM
For the record, I always liked Plax.

Granted, he wasn't number one in the common sense department and he DID have some serious attitude issues, but he was talented and very young and had a chip on his shoulder -- certainly nothing unusual.

He's lived through some "interesting" experiences and I believe that he really has learned some things about life. For example, when he was with the Jets and there was a fair amount of acrimony and dissension in their locker room, it was Plax who was the one who tried to calm things down. Who would have thought that Plaxico Burress would end up being the voice of reason?

Now, at 35, he has a chance to maybe make up for some of the things that got him booted from Pittsburgh and he has a chance to end his career on a high note.

Everyone does at least one really stupid thing in life that they wish they could take back. And even though no one can really erase that stupid thing, it IS possible to do what they can to make up for it and Plax has that chance now. If he's really learned from his mistakes and really has grown up, I think he'll realize that this is his chance to redeem himself and I hope he does.

We'll see...

Hawaii 5-0
11-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Burress thankful to be back among friends

By F. Dale Lolley
published nov 21, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121121&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121129793&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress catches a pass for the New York Jets last December. The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Burress Tuesday to provide depth at a position decimated by injuries.

PITTSBURGH – In his final season with the Steelers in 2004, Plaxico Burress hosted Thanksgiving dinner at his home with his future wife, her parents and one of his rookie teammates, who was unable to go home to be with family because of practice that day.

This time, Ben Roethlisberger, the rookie Burress hosted, can return the favor.

Burress, who was signed by the Steelers Tuesday to bolster their banged up receiving corps, came straight to Pittsburgh from a Formula 1 United States Grand Prix race in Texas over the weekend, never making it back home to New Jersey, where he lives with his wife and two children.

“His first Thanksgiving, we spent it together here,” said Burress. “It’s ironic that nine, 10 years later, I’m back on Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh. There’s some things that you look at and say, wow. You cherish those things. We remained good friends throughout the years. I’ve remained a big supporter of his, and he did likewise with me.”

Burress won’t be playing with Roethlisberger right away. The Steelers’ starting quarterback is doubtful to play when Pittsburgh (6-4) travels to Cleveland (2-8) Sunday as he continues to recover from a sprained shoulder and dislocated rib suffered two weeks ago in a win over Kansas City.

Roethlisberger isn’t the only friendly face in Pittsburgh for Burress, who spent the first five seasons on his career with the Steelers after they selected him in the first round of the 2000 draft.

“Me, (Casey Hampton), Larry (Foote), we’ve got some old jokes,” the 35-year-old Burress said. “It feels good to be here. There’s a comfort level knowing some of the guys here on the training staff here, the people upstairs.”

The Steelers signed Burress after losing Jerricho Cotchery to fractured ribs in Sunday’s 13-10 defeat against Baltimore. Already without Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown, who has missed the past two games with a sprained ankle, the Steelers want Burress to back up Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been around a better collection of receivers,” Burress said. “And I think that says a lot. From an athletic and talent standpoint. I’ve trained with Antonio down in Florida all summer, so I know him. I know Jerricho. These guys have embraced me.”

The Steelers feel the 6-5, 230-pound Burress, who has 550 career catches and 63 touchdowns, can help them right away.

“I think when you look at him, he’s won in this league,” said veteran quarterback Charlie Batch, who will start for the Steelers against the Browns with Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich out with injuries. “He knows the speed of the game. It’s not going to be new to him. It’s just going to be, when you break the huddle, will he be able to get lined up to go out there and play without thinking about it? We all know he’s capable of doing that.”

The Steelers have also seen the bad side of Burress over the years.

Sometimes immature off the field early in his career, Burress was fined for missing practice before leaving to sign a free agent contract with the Giants in 2005. He also clashed at times with Giants management, which finally cut him loose following his arrest for discharging a gun in a nightclub in 2008. Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg with a handgun that went off in his pocket and eventually served two years in prison for the infraction.

“I’ve got a wife, family,” said Burress. “My life is in a totally different direction. I’m happy to be out here playing football. My wife is excited. My son is excited. So all of those things people are worried about or saying, I don’t worry about. I’ve persevered.”

The Steelers offered Burress a two-year contract in 2011 after working him out in training camp, but he chose instead to sign with the New York Jets so that he wouldn’t have to move his family.

“Coming out of a situation where I had been away for two years, it was a very difficult situation to walk away from, based on the guys that were here, James (Farrior) and Hines (Ward), really the foundation was still here from when I left,” said Burress, who won a Super Bowl with the Giants, making the game-winning catch against the Patriots.

“My family was in New Jersey. My wife had her job. It was really a decision I made for the family, based on where she was at in her career and the kids with school, things like that. It was a tough situation to walk away from. The ending of it was that they had enough faith in me to come out and here to be a good football player and teammate to help this team win a championship.”

Odds and end zones

The Steelers activated rookie offensive lineman David DeCastro off of the injured reserve list. DeCastro, the Steelers’ top pick in this year’s draft, suffered a knee injury in the team’s third preseason game. The Steelers have two weeks to promote him to the active roster. ... Safety Will Allen (shoulder), running back Isaac Redman (concussion) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) were full participants in practice Wednesday. ... Brown was limited with his ankle injury. ... Cotchery, Leftwich, Roethlisberger, offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle), defensive end Ziggy Hood (back) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf) did not practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121121/SPORTS0403/121129793/0/sports#.UK71Ic2aLO8

zcoop
11-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Glad Plax is back (if only for a short time), wish we could've kept him the first time.

JeromeBetties63
11-24-2012, 12:11 AM
overreact much? it will be weird to have him around again, see him in a Steelers uniform

not everyone needs to blindly follow every move the Steelers make - that is your perrogative

Even though that wasn't the case.

Sheesh.

LOL...wow dude, do you project much? If you don't know what this psychological term means...look it up. You definitely over-reacted to my post and make blanket over statements about it. Get a grip, little fella.

JPPT1974
11-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Well wonder how Plaxico will be welcomed back by the Terrible Towels in their upcoming home game?!

LVSteelersfan
11-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I really like the Hoyer pickup. He has played well enough in limited playing time behind Tom Brady. I had said earlier this year that I thought they should get Hoyer instead of bringing Charlie Batch back as a backup. Inject some youth into that position. But he has been around the league long enough to know the nuts and bolts of the game. Especially watching Brady play.

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
the Plax signing is already paying off, the pass interference penalty against Plax in the end zone led to the TD run by Rainey that gave us the halftime lead. :applaudit: