PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro to practice on Wednesday

MACH1
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Guard David DeCastro, who is on injured reserve/designated for return, has been cleared to practice today.

The Steelers have 21 days from now to determine if DeCastro will be activated or placed on injured reserve.
http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/21/decastro-to-practice-on-wednesday/

SteelersCanada
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
David DeCastro Returns to Practice

The Steelers may be running low on quarterbacks, but they got an offensive lineman back at practice on Wednesday.

Guard David DeCastro, their first-round pick in April, has been cleared to return to practice. DeCastro has been out since tearing his MCL and doing other damage to his right knee in one of Pittsburghís preseason games. He was placed on injured reserve with the designation to return after final cuts and has been eligible to return to practice for several weeks.

Now that he has returned to practice, the team has three weeks to decide whether or not to move him back to the active roster. Until they do, DeCastro does not count against the 53-man roster so thereís no need for a corresponding move. If they donít, heíll revert to injured reserve for the rest of the year.

DeCastro was immediately pencilled into the starting lineup when the team selected him and heíll likely get a chance to win back the job if heís healthy. Ramon Fosterís done a good job at right guard, though, so DeCastro probably wonít get it just for showing up in a uniform. At the very least, having him healthy would improve the options available should there be an injury down the line up front for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/21/david-decastro-returns-to-practice/

MACH1
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Merged

stb_steeler
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Can he throw a good spiral???:sofunny:

SteelKid212
11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
HELL YEA! Great news! :thumbsup:

I like what Ramon Foster has done up until this point, but even though DD has not played all year, IF DD is 100% I say plug him in there! If DD is healthy HE IS AN INSTANT UPGRADE.

TRH
11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
place him on the reserve. Let him get as healthy as he can get for 2013

Rotorhead
11-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Nah, keep him as a backup, just in case. But let him rest to heal up more until next season.

Hawaii 5-0
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
if he's cleared to practice then the trainers must feel that he's fully healed. and if DeCastro is healthy, I would think it's a no-brainer to put him back on the active roster.

Fire Haley
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Just keep him far, far away from Gilbert.

SteelersCanada
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Putting him on the active roster is an absolute no-brainer. Playing him is a completely different story.

Hawaii 5-0
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Just keep him far, far away from Gilbert.

good point! :chuckle:

teegre
11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
First, I hope that he is 100%. I do not want him to risk coming back.

Let's assume that we take the most cautious route:
With the revolving door that is the O-line, I would say that they should activate him, and keep him as the back-up. Then, if someone goes down, he plays.

Of course, if he is 100% healthy,... then, he will start. That said, I'd still wait until the last game of the season, before inserting him into the line-up.

Again, as far as Foster goes, as good as Foster has played, DD is simply a better player.

tarasovic2
11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Foster has generally performed better than expected. DD doesn't just replace him if healthy, does he? DD and Legursky make for capable reserves for now.

SteelersCanada
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Q&A with David DeCastro

Steelers rookie lineman David DeCastro was cleared to practice Wednesday for the first time since having knee surgery on Aug. 30. DeCastro has 21 days to be added to the active roster or he will be lost for the year. Here is what he had to say following practice:

Q: How do you feel?
A: I feel good.

Q: What exactly did you do during practice?
A: I did individuals and some scout team stuff as well. I took a couple plays with team.

Q: Itís been a long time.
A: Itís been a long, long time, yeah.

Q: You have been working up to the point?
A: I have been doing stuff with the assistant strength coach Ė football related stuff but nothing like going against NFL players.

Q: How does it feel now?
A: It feels really good. I didnít feel anything.

Q: Is there a timetable of what you want to accomplish over the next few weeks?
A: No idea. I am just going to try to come out and get better every day and get healthy. There is definitely more for improvement Ė get the strength back and endurance. I havenít played football is so long.

Q: You have two weeks to make a decision?
A: Itís 21 days. Three weeks.

Q: You get past anything you were worried about today?
A: I really didnít have any expectations. It felt good, strong.Ē

Q: Do you have to wait and see how it feels tomorrow?
A: Yeah, tomorrow might be a little different. We will see.

Q: You expect to play this year?
A: I have no idea. Can I control that? Probably not. I can only control what I can control and get healthy and get stronger and get in the best position to play if I need to.

Q: Would that be important for your development?
A: I think so, but at the same time, just being healthy and in good shape and being out here says a lot.

Q: When was last time you missed this much football?
A: Never. The longest injury I had was like four weeks in high school and that wasnít during the season.

Q: So you were a little antsy?
A: Yeah, a little bit. Definitely.

A couple of things - sorry if this is too long for a single interview and if it is, feel free to delete it. Regarding the actual interview, he interviews like James Harrison, but as long as he's getting healthy and feeling great - I'm on board. :drink:

FrancoLambert
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
It would hurt but I would bite the bullet and not play him at all this season.
It's been a season with many weird/lingering/recurring injuries.
I wouldn't tempt fate. There's always mext year and beyond.

teegre
11-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Foster has generally performed better than expected. DD doesn't just replace him if healthy, does he? DD and Legursky make for capable reserves for now.

I hear you.. but... well...let me ask this:

If Troy is healthy, do you bench Will Allen?

Both situations are similar.

Terminator
11-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Yes. 100% yes. Troy is special and can do things no one else on Earth can do.

Fire Arians
11-21-2012, 08:23 PM

not all that similar. troy is a guy who knows the defense and can come back in to play. decastro is a rookie and hasn't proved anything in the NFL yet.

teegre
11-21-2012, 09:16 PM
not all that similar. troy is a guy who knows the defense and can come back in to play. decastro is a rookie and hasn't proved anything in the NFL yet.

Troy is amazing. But, the defense is playing amazing without him.

DD showed immediately that he was an upgrade at RG. But, the O-line is playing well without him.

I say that the situations are indeed very similar.

MasterOfPuppets
11-21-2012, 10:07 PM

DD showed immediately that he was an upgrade at RG. But, the O-line is playing well without him.

he did ? when ? :huh:

Steelersfan87
11-21-2012, 10:19 PM
DeCastro's never played a snap of NFL football. Polamalu's been a Defensive Player of the Year. Not even remotely a sane comparison.

I highly doubt that the Steelers would withhold DeCastro and IR him simply 'because' if he is truly healthy enough to be on the roster. But I also doubt that they would bench Foster for him. He would have to earn it, or Foster would have to struggle or get injured. Otherwise, DeCastro should serve as a fine backup. Though once Gilbert gets back, I would assume Legursky and either Gilbert or Adams would be the gameday reserves and DeCastro wouldn't even dress.

Fire Arians
11-21-2012, 10:49 PM

I wouldn't be quick to say that, foster has been playing solid this year. Look I'm excited about DeCastro too, but before we put him in the same category of NFL greats like Polamalu, I want to see him at least play one NFL snap first.

Hell, I want to see him string together a bunch of dominating performances before I say he's ready to be our starting RG. He has to prove he can play better than foster, and I'm not sure he can do that yet. Next year prolly though.

teegre
11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
he did ? when ? :huh:

Pre-season.

Terminator
11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't IR him, though. At any given moment, are O-Line could take a nice fat wet shit, just like it did in the Titans game.

Also, DeCastro was projected to be the most elite offensive lineman since Alan Faneca. He is insanely strong and fast, and many teams wanted him. I'm honestly surprised we got him.

teegre
11-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't be quick to say that, foster has been playing solid this year. Look I'm excited about DeCastro too, but before we put him in the same category of NFL greats like Polamalu, I want to see him at least play one NFL snap first.

Hell, I want to see him string together a bunch of dominating performances before I say he's ready to be our starting RG. He has to prove he can play better than foster, and I'm not sure he can do that yet. Next year prolly though.

To clarify.

I'm not comparing Troy to DD. I am comparing their situations.

I see DD as an upgrade. I saw it immediately in his pre-season play.

Again, the situations are the same; I'm not comparing players.

teegre
11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
DeCastro's never played a snap of NFL football. Polamalu's been a Defensive Player of the Year. Not even remotely a sane comparison.

I never compared Troy to DD.

I compared their situations: injured player returns & enters the starting line-up.

There is a huge diffference in those to things. To even assume that I was comparing Troy to DD is insane. Who would assume that???

Steeldude
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
, IF DD is 100% I say plug him in there! If DD is healthy HE IS AN INSTANT UPGRADE.

No. He will most likely be placed on IR

PhantomJB93
11-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah at this point I see no reason to put him on IR. It's nothing short of a miracle the line has remained as intact as it has so far, so leave him as a backup. Our interior linemen have dropped like flies in recent years so I'd like knowing there's someone like DeCastro on the bench who could step in if there were an emergency.

Steelersfan87
11-22-2012, 02:29 AM
They wouldn't have bothered to have him start practicing if they projected him to go on IR. Chances are he's on the 53 man roster within the next three weeks. Whether or not he plays is another story.

I never compared Troy to DD.

I compared their situations: injured player returns & enters the starting line-up.

There is a huge diffference in those to things. To even assume that I was comparing Troy to DD is insane. Who would assume that???

I didn't say you were comparing the players. Comparing the situations themselves is insane. There's no comparison between bumping a fill-in player who's been playing well for a proven All-Pro and defensive player of the year who is a spark plug for his entire side of the ball versus bumping a fill-in player who was already the starter at the position and is playing well for a ROOKIE who's never taken an NFL snap, regardless of his pedigree. Situations are wildly incomparable.

Bayz101
11-22-2012, 03:21 AM
They wouldn't have bothered to have him start practicing if they projected him to go on IR. Chances are he's on the 53 man roster within the next three weeks. Whether or not he plays is another story.

I didn't say you were comparing the players. Comparing the situations themselves is insane. There's no comparison between bumping a fill-in player who's been playing well for a proven All-Pro and defensive player of the year who is a spark plug for his entire side of the ball versus bumping a fill-in player who was already the starter at the position and is playing well for a ROOKIE who's never taken an NFL snap, regardless of his pedigree. Situations are wildly incomparable.

Troy hasn't played at an all-pro level for two years. Not saying he's not capable, but he's certainly been lacking. If he can stay healthy, maybe.

teegre
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM

A starter goes down. The back-up plays well. The starter gets healthy, but the unit on which the starter was originally starting has played well in his absence.

Now, I ask you, to which player am I referring: Troy or DD?

DD was listed as the starter, and played well enough in the pre-season to show why he was awarded that position. Why would the Steelers not start him at RG if he was 100% healthy?

Think it through.

Ramon Foster played just as well last season as he has this season: very well. BUT, the Steelers still drafted DD to play RG (to replace Foster), and the Steelers still slotted DD as the starter at RG (over Foster), and if DD is 100% healthy, I again ask, why would they not start DD at RG (over Foster)?

If your response is: "Foster has played well; you don't mess with a good thing" then why would the Steelers have drafted DD in the first place??? I mean, Foster played well last season, and if they Steelers were going to just keep Foster in the line-up, then why not draft Donta' Hightower instead (of DD)... and just keep Foster at RG???

The Steelers drafted DD for a reason: to play RG. He showed enough to get the starting job, and benching him just because he is not Troy Polamalu makes... uh... little-to-no sense.

Q: When AB comes back, should he ride also the pine??? Because, Emmanuel Sanders has played really well in AB's absence.

WVABE
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Injured players are not productive enough to be starters, doesn't matter who it is.
But of coarse Ben has been an exception over the years.
Troy needs to heal and lose that damn gut.
DD, see you next season.

Terminator
11-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Injured players are not productive enough to be starters, doesn't matter who it is.
But of coarse Ben has been an exception over the years.
Troy needs to heal and lose that damn gut.
DD, see you next season.

My dad met Troy and his family at the Redskins game a few weeks back and said he is still in amazing shape :noidea:

Terminator
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Also, it's too bad DeCastro isn't a tackle, because Mike Adams has been a fucking bust.

SteelersCanada
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Also, it's too bad DeCastro isn't a tackle, because Mike Adams has been a fucking bust.

Show me how many Tackles can take Justin Tuck, Ryan Kerrigan and Paul Kruger one-on-one. Then, show me how many rookie Tackles can do the same job. We've been asking him to do too much after taking over for Gilbert. At LT, you're right, he hasn't been playing well. At RT however, he's been playing to what the expectation was. He hasn't been a bust at all, in fact, far from it - he's been playing to the extent a rookie would be playing after switching sides on the OLine and taking some of the best pass rushers on without help.

He's shown flashes of brilliance. When Miller chips and goes to his route, Adams can take it from there. He needs to work on his quickness, but his form and physicality with OLBs/DE's has been great. That extra second he needs to get into form is a problem - granted - but that can be fixed with correct coaching.

Fire Arians
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM

he will be a pro bowler in a couple years, bank on it.

his talent level is great, he's just making the mistakes that rookies tend to make, this is correctable but it won't happen overnight

teegre
11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
he will be a pro bowler in a couple years, bank on it.

his talent level is great, he's just making the mistakes that rookies tend to make, this is correctable but it won't happen overnight

I've always thought that Mike Adams is Marvel Smith, part II.

Both are great, physical talents, but dropped to the Steelers via "smoking some weed."

I think with some coaching, Adams will indeed be just as good as Marvel smith was. Adams has amazing physical attributes, but his technique/skills are a little lacking. Luckily for him, the Steelers actually COACH their players.