PDA

View Full Version : SOME ASSISTANCE PLEASE...QUICK

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I punctured the side wall on my tire today. The other 3 tires still have about 1/2 life still left. May I have some advise on whether it is ok to just replace 1 tire or do I need to put on two? Or do I just replace all 4? Thanks very much for some quick response! :smile:

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
You should replace at least two. And if you have front wheel drive make sure your two best tires are in the front.

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
You should replace at least two. And if you have front wheel drive make sure your two best tires are in the front.Thank you so much for responding! Does it matter with 4 wheel drive?

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you so much for responding! Does it matter with 4 wheel drive?I'm not sure, but I don't think it would.

Mosca
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
On an all wheel drive car like a Subaru, yes it does. All 4 tires have to be within 1/16 of each other or you may void your 60K powertrain warranty. What I did was I bought a new tire and had it shaved to match the others.

15 years in a Subaru dealership, I know the answer to this one.

Tom

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think it would.Because I'm guessing then that if they have to rotate and balance all 4 tires, that will cost alot more???

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
On an all wheel drive car like a Subaru, yes it does. All 4 tires have to be within 1/16 of each other or you may void your 60K powertrain warranty. What I did was I bought a new tire and had it shaved to match the others.

15 years in a Subaru dealership, I know the answer to this one.

TomThanks Tom....how do you go about having a tire shaved?

PisnNapalm
08-10-2006, 03:39 PM
The last 2 times I've needed tires I bought them from www.tirerack.com . They were shipped to a local garage where I had them put on. I estimated that I saved about $80 on each set of 4 tires I bought.

The customer reviews are very helpful in selecting the right tire for your vehicle.

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
The last 2 times I've needed tires I bought them from www.tirerack.com . They were shipped to a local garage where I had them put on. I estimated that I saved about $80 on each set of 4 tires I bought.

The customer reviews are very helpful in selecting the right tire for your vehicle.Thanks very much PN! Right now I'm trying to avoid having to get all 4 new, if possible.

MasterOfPuppets
08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
just buy a used tire then.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I punctured the side wall on my tire today. The other 3 tires still have about 1/2 life still left. May I have some advise on whether it is ok to just replace 1 tire or do I need to put on two? Or do I just replace all 4? Thanks very much for some quick response! :smile:

I would see if you can go to a used tire place to find ane that wil match close to your tread.....
If not, buy to new ones and put them on the front if the good ones arent so bad

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 04:15 PM
just buy a used tire then.Thanks MOP. The tire stores that I've called have told me that it's not a common tire so I imagaine that it would be hard to find. The consensus I've gotten so far is telling me to buy 2 new. I appreciate the help!

MasterOfPuppets
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks MOP. The tire stores that I've called have told me that it's not a common tire so I imagaine that it would be hard to find. The consensus I've gotten so far is telling me to buy 2 new. I appreciate the help!
well with winter around the corner and the tires already down to half tread, 2 new tires would be the logic choice anyhow. but i wouldn't wait to long to get the other two, for rotation purposes.

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Many thanks to all of you! You guys are the best! :smile:

Mosca
08-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I got mine at Tire Rack, they shaved it for $15. Any performance tire shop can also do this; call around is all I can say.

Especially on a Subaru you want all 4 tires the same tread, the same style. They wouldn't be the Bridgestone RE-92s by chance, would they?

I too was trying to avoid buying 4 tires. It worked out well for me, an extra $15.

Tom

floodcitygirl
08-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I got mine at Tire Rack, they shaved it for $15. Any performance tire shop can also do this; call around is all I can say.

Especially on a Subaru you want all 4 tires the same tread, the same style. They wouldn't be the Bridgestone RE-92s by chance, would they?

I too was trying to avoid buying 4 tires. It worked out well for me, an extra $15.

TomNope. I drive a Durango. They are BF Goodrich 31x10.50 R15 LT's. Thanks again for your help!