PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch is an old standard for the Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
11-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Batch an old standard for Steelers

By F. Dale Lolley
published nov 22, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121122&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121129743&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch is shown during a preseason game in August 2011. Batch has led the Steelers to a 5-2 record as a starter since joining Pittsburgh in 2002.

PITTSBURGH – There is likely to be an extra player in the ice tub for the Steelers Monday.

And it’s right where Charlie Batch wants to be.

The soon-to-be 38-year-old backup quarterback will make his first start of the season in place of injured Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich Sunday when the Steelers (6-4) visit Cleveland (2-8).

Batch, who turns 38 Dec. 5, expects to be sore Monday. He and the Steelers just hope he doesn’t become the third consecutive Pittsburgh quarterback to leave a game with an injury.

“You just know at this age, you spend a lot of time in the ice tub and try not to get that (old) feeling,” said Batch. “The good thing is, I’m not the only person in this locker room that has to feel that way. We have a bunch of 30-year olds on this team.”

But with Roethlisberger still out with a sprained shoulder and dislocated rib and Leftwich nursing a pair of fractured ribs, the Steelers can’t afford for Batch to be anything more than sore on Monday.

Even though the Steelers signed former New England backup Brian Hoyer Tuesday to serve as Batch’s backup, the Steelers will be counting heavily on Batch.

It’s been a continuing theme for Batch since he joined the Steelers as a backup quarterback in 2002.

He has appeared in 31 games, but only seven of those have been starts. The Steelers have gone 5-2 in starts by Batch, and, in many cases, he hasn’t had an experienced backup option behind him.

That will be the case against the Browns, as Hoyer will have only had three days of practice with his new team.

“I’ve been in this situation (before),” said Batch. “In 2010, there were only two quarterbacks at Tennessee and Dennis (Dixon) goes down in the first quarter and I had to go out there and I was the only quarterback for the next two and a half weeks.”

The question for the Steelers will be how effective their offense can be with its third starting quarterback in three weeks?

Pittsburgh has scored only 26 points in its last two games.

“I don’t think it will be a big issue,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace. “Chuck has been here. It’s not like he’s a guy coming in off the street. He’s a guy who has been around for a long time and has played a lot of games in this league.”

Batch has made 60 career starts, but few have been as important as Sunday’s for the Steelers, who are two games behind Baltimore in the AFC North and one game ahead of Cincinnati in the AFC wild-card race.

“At this point, we still have a chance to win the division,” Batch said. “We still have to keep up with everybody else at this point. But we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. That’s why we have to go up there and we have to figure out a way no matter what, to get this one in Cleveland.”

And for Batch, it’s an important game in that he doesn’t know how many starts remain for him in the NFL. Sure, the aches and pains that require a trip to the cold tub on Monday aren’t pleasant, but when you’ve played football all of your life, it also means Batch was playing.

“I’m always excited. These opportunities don’t come often anymore and here I am, getting up there in years and when you have this opportunity you cherish it,” Batch said.

Odds and end zones

Roethlisberger’s wife, Ashley, gave birth to the couple’s first child on Thursday, a son they named Benjamin Roethlisberger, Jr. … Roethlisberger, Leftwich, wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) did not practice for the Steelers Thursday. … Wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle) and defensive end Ziggy Hood (back) were limited in practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121122/SPORTS0403/121129743/-1/SPORTS#.UK72vs2aLO8

i82much
11-23-2012, 12:59 PM
As a Ravens fan I have had the misfortune of seeing Batch get the job done too many times (including games against other teams). Rivalry or not I have a certain admiration for this old vet that seems like such a team player and gotten the job done more often than not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
He's old and less than the standard. We will be fortunate to get out of cleveland with a victory with Batch at the helm.

AndyWitmyer
11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
As a Ravens fan I have had the misfortune of seeing Batch get the job done too many times (including games against other teams). Rivalry or not I have a certain admiration for this old vet that seems like such a team player and gotten the job done more often than not.

Between the two comments so far, I'm going to have swallow my pride here and say I agree with Ravens fan 100%. You never know what's going to happen on any given Sunday, but unlike El-Gonzo Jackson -who thinks we'll be lucky to get out of Cleveland with a victory - with Charlie Batch, he's no Ben, but with a 5-2 record at a starting Steeler's QB, I like our odds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :drink:

BlaZeQuietly
11-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Between the two comments so far, I'm going to have swallow my pride here and say I agree with Ravens fan 100%. You never know what's going to happen on any given Sunday, but unlike El-Gonzo Jackson -who thinks we'll be lucky to get out of Cleveland with a victory - with Charlie Batch, he's no Ben, but with a 5-2 record at a starting Steeler's QB, I like our odds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :drink:

Batch is okay, and I took your advice with the pipe smoking

JeromeBetties63
11-23-2012, 11:06 PM
He's old and less than the standard. We will be fortunate to get out of cleveland with a victory with Batch at the helm.

You are the most negative, player bashing poster on here. What is your problem?

Kanata-Steeler
11-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Atleast Chuck is still better than Leftwich.

FrancoLambert
11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Charlie Batch is old.
Charlie Batch is sub-standard as a starter.
Stating the obvious is not "bashing."
We should consider ourselves fortunate to win on the road with a 3rd string QB. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2012, 09:19 AM

I have been on this board for some time now and I dont think that the majority who have been here would state that I am the "most negative player bashing poster" here.

Like others have said, I am just stating the obvious.

What you dont get is that I can objectively look at players and evaluate them for what they are. While you believe that Larry Foote is some great ILB, I can realize that he is a liability. This is coming from somebody that is a Michigan fan and followed Foote playing over a decade ago in College.

Charlie Batch's position should have been upgraded long ago. His best days in the NFL are from when he was Lion. If we use the forumla of a solid defense and don't put too much of the onus on Batch to win, then we have a shot.

LVSteelersfan
11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
If Batch gets hit in this game we could very well have Hoyer playing QB in his first game with the Steelers. That might actually be a good thing as he can throw the dink and dunk passes that Haley likes to use. He probably hasn't had enough time with the playbook yet, but stranger things have happened. I just hope Haley doesn't try to get Batch to throw an out route because that is a pick six waiting to happen with Batch's weak arm.

Quackjack
11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Batch is a beast, and it's been proven.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
If Batch gets hit in this game we could very well have Hoyer playing QB in his first game with the Steelers. That might actually be a good thing as he can throw the dink and dunk passes that Haley likes to use. He probably hasn't had enough time with the playbook yet, but stranger things have happened. I just hope Haley doesn't try to get Batch to throw an out route because that is a pick six waiting to happen with Batch's weak arm.

Yeah........and Hoyer is a BEAST!!! Would be interesting to see. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Pirate
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Charlie play. I always liked him. I think the O-Line has come along enough to protect him from a serious injury tomorrow.

I think it would have been better to have him finish last week's game - knock some rust off, get jelling w/the team. I think he could have pulled out a win & brought some comradery for this week.

Let's go Charlie!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2012, 02:15 PM
-So Batch doesnt have the arm strength to get the ball to Mike Wallace on a post route.
-Batch doesnt have the arm strength to throw a 10 yard out without it geting picked off.
-Larry Foote plays pattycake with the O lineman and watches Richardson walk into the end zone.

The Standard is not the Standard.

Stangboy06
11-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Charlie batch needs to go away Six turnovers it was a team effort

Stangboy06
11-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Correction 7 turn overs

3rdandlong
11-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I really thought Batch would play better. He was terrible today!

Kanata-Steeler
11-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Naa, He still wasn't as bad as ALL of our receivers, and RB's. - They were the real culprits for the loss of this game.

ZoneBlitzer
11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
...an old standard jalopy that is rusted out through the floorboards maybe..

MasterOfPuppets
11-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Atleast Chuck is still better than Leftwich.
indeed...he really put those lefty fanboys in there place today ....:thumbsup:
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/kisselpaso.com/files/2011/03/charlie-tuna-sorry-150x150.jpg

Raw Steel
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
From a pure football standpoint, Charlie Batch cannot throw a tight spiral. That's how weak his arm is. And you can't play in speedy NFL with that issue. Too late to do anything about it now. Colbert and Tomlin screwed up. Big Ben will have to win four games for Steelers to make playoffs. Of course, he has to play to do that. I would sit him next week and get him healthy for the final four.

harrison'samonster
11-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Naa, He still wasn't as bad as ALL of our receivers, and RB's. - They were the real culprits for the loss of this game.

i've got to agree. I think Batch's job was to not lose the game. The talent around him on offense really failed him.

I don't think Batch has much left at the position, but honestly he should be able to count on the players to make plays for him.

Kanata-Steeler
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM

yes, the "lefty" <- (aka Glass Teddy Bear) fanboys.
Ha ha ha.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/kisselpaso.com/files/2011/03/charlie-tuna-sorry-150x150.jpg :rofl:

Yeah, not sure what was worse....

-not being able to throw it to Wallace when he got behind the Safety.
-not being able to throw a 10 yard out to the flat. or
-lobbing that wobbly clay pigeon into double coverage that Hayden came down with.

Sadly, of the 3 QB's on the field today(Weeden, McCoy and Batch), Charlie was the worst.

Steel95
11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
We can't blame this loss totally on Charlie Batch; the offense looked completely disinterested and lost. Its like these guys continue to play accordingly to the record of their opponent. Yes, I know the Steelers has some key injuries, but C'mon Man! That was a horrible performance for a Steelers Team.

It's time for Mike Tomlin to pass the torch as a Players Coach, he needs to start putting his foot upside some of those guys @$$holes. That was pathetic! And by the way, can we please get some youth at the QB Position for depth? I'm sorry, Byron Leftwitch should have retired three years ago; this guy fell in the endzone last Sunday Night, nobody even touches him, and he's hurt? You gotta be kidding me! Get rid of him already.

I don't know, maybe it's just fate; maybe its time for a losing season, get some high draft picks on defense, help turn this this thing around.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Seriously?? All Batch had to do was make some throws that are not at the receivers feet or over heath Millers head. That and not float the football in the air against a suspect secondary.

All those that think Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon or Jerrod Johnson could not have eeked out 7 more points against the Browns, even with all the fumbles and injuries, is dillusional.

There are at least 50 kids in NCAA that can make the throws which Batch no longer can.

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Batch takes the blame

By Mike Prisuta

CLEVELAND – Coach Mike Tomlin assessed a turnover-plagued, 20-14 loss to the Browns as representative of what the Steelers were capable of on Sunday afternoon at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

“We own it,” Tomlin acknowledged.

Quarterback Charlie Batch thought what transpired belonged mostly to him.

“I put it on my shoulders,” Batch said. “Offensively, we didn’t get it done, and that’s really on my shoulders.”

Batch wound up completing 20-of-34 for 199 yards, with no touchdowns, three interceptions and a passer rating of 38.7 in replacing Byron Leftwich, who the previous week had replaced Ben Roethlisberger.

Batch, in particular, lamented all three of his interceptions – the Steelers also fumbled eight times and lost five of those – and a potential long touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace that wound up instead bouncing incomplete.

The first interception occurred on third-and-6 from the Steelers’ 19-yard line with 7:10 remaining in the third quarter and the Steelers ahead, 14-13.

“(Cornerback) Sheldon Brown did a good job of under-cutting the pass on the sideline,” Batch said of what was supposed to be an out-route to wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Interception No. 2 resulted when Batch tried to hit Wallace on a slant on second-and-12 from the Cleveland 30-yard line with 12:06 left in the fourth quarter and the Browns up, 20-14.

“It was a little behind him,” Batch said of a ball that Wallace deflected before it was eventually collected by defensive tackle Billy Winn.

Batch was intercepted for the third time when he tried to find Wallace deep on first-and-10 from the Steelers’ 42-yard line with 3:09 remaining.

“Man-to-man coverage,” Batch explained. “(Cornerback Joe) Hayden did a good job there and then the safety flew over the top. The pass was underthrown; Mike didn’t even have a chance to come back for it. I just can’t leave it short like that.”’

Batch’s day also included an under-throw to Wallace, who had gotten behind safety T.J. Ward, on second-and-6 from the Pittsburgh 19-yard line with 7:18 left in the third quarter.

“I had him deep over the middle,” Batch said. “The back-side safety, he wasn’t even looking at the pass. I think it hit the back of his helmet.

“If I put just a little bit more on it, 3 yards, then that could possibly be a touchdown as opposed to the deflection.”

The challenge now is for Batch and the Steelers to bounce back in advance of this coming Sunday’s visit to Baltimore.

“It’s a long season,” Batch said. “No matter what, you have to keep fighting. Nobody out there right now is going to sit back and look at it to the point of being behind us. We have to make sure we stick together, which we will. We gotta get it together and get it together quickly.

“We still had a chance to win (in Cleveland), that’s the crazy part. With about nine minutes left and with about five minutes left we still had a chance to win the football game.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Batch-takes-the-blame/572e1d91-f92c-4cdc-aee3-9b41dec7630f

TheVet
11-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Yes, it's clear that Charlie's best days are behind him, and it's surely time for the Steelers to move on to a younger pair of backup QBs.

However, having said that: Even with Ben down and the season unraveling, I still look forward to another chance to root for Charlie next week vs. the Ravens. He's a great guy who has earned our support over many years.

Go get em Charlie!

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 02:08 AM
charlie looked worse than an injured byron leftwich, and thats very difficult thing for any healthy professional qb (not named tim tebow) to do.

Kanata-Steeler
12-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Now, isn't evryone happy "OLD" Charlie was at the helm today ?
If Glasswich would have taken some of those hits that (tough)Charlie took, then he'd be in a coma right now.

"... Sorry Charlie..." -is definitely the right thing to admit now.

Haha haha
:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Charlie Batch tears up after showing Steeler grit in comeback victory against rival Ravens

Sun, Dec 2, 2012

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lTtTo0LVwO52Qb6_EwB7Zg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/gettyimages.com/pittsburgh-steelers-v-baltimore-ravens-20121202-173831-456.jpg

BALTIMORE – His has been the uncertain life for so long that after 15 years Charlie Batch simply accepts it. Week after week he practices with the Pittsburgh Steelers, preparing to play quarterback, even though he knows the chance is likely to never come and he will spend the game wearing a cap, carrying a clipboard and celebrating somebody else's touchdowns.

Then he walks back to the locker room, sees the coach – a happy man with a congratulatory hand extended – and he never knows quite what to say.

Great job? For what? Wearing a cap and carrying a clipboard?

So on Sunday night, Charlie Batch wept. He turned away from the last-second field goal that gave the Steelers a 23-20 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, fell into the arms of injured Ben Roethlisberger and sobbed. He cried for the win. He cried for the chance. And he cried because he knows it will go away. But mostly he cried because he didn't want last week to be the final memory the NFL had of Charlie Batch.

You see, last week, he got to start a game. It was his first since the end of last season and it came in Cleveland, a place where the Steelers are expected to dominate. It was a game they needed to win. Instead they had eight turnovers. And even though those miscues weren't all his fault, they felt like they were.

"I was the one in charge of our eight turnovers, I took them personally," he said Sunday night as he stood in an empty Steelers locker room at M&T Bank Stadium.

Batch wasn't sure he would get another chance. Roethlisberger has injuries to his ribs and shoulder, and missed the Steelers' previous two games before Sunday. But Big Ben wanted to play in Baltimore, given the way Pittsburgh's season had fallen apart and the playoffs growing more unlikely.

All week Roethlisberger worked to throw, pushing and pushing to play. Finally on Friday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told Batch that Roethlisberger wouldn't play.

Batch would have his last opportunity for redemption.

Sunday's victory was not a beautiful thing. Steelers-Ravens games never are. There were fights. There were cheap hits. Players shouted at each other. Tomlin seemed to stalk away from Baltimore coach John Harbaugh after the end-of-game handshake

And Batch was equally as imperfect. He was intercepted once. Another time he threw a pass over the head of a wide-open Mike Wallace in the end zone. He missed several other chances to push the Steelers downfield. Through much of the first half it looked as if the Ravens might blow out the Steelers.

Only they never did. And that says everything about the Steelers, Tomlin and Batch
There is a resilience to Pittsburgh that is unique. In a league where wins often come because of sheer willpower, the Steelers manufacture victories when they seem most unlikely. Old stars have gone. Current ones like Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu are worn down by years of the fight. On Sunday, the Steelers not only didn't have Roethlisberger, they maneuvered wide receivers around and juggled running backs hoping to find some dream formula. Somehow they found one.

"We persevered," Tomlin kept saying after the game.

Later, when asked about his defense that forced two turnovers, he said: "I appreciate the fact they didn't let go of the rope."

But Charlie Batch won this game for Pittsburgh. He won it the way Roethlisberger has won so many in the past: moving methodically, creating splendor from chaos. There was 6:14 left in the game when the Steelers got the ball on their own 15-yard line in a game tied, 20-20. They never gave it back.

"You put your heart and soul into it," he later said. "You try to leave everything out on the field."

Yes, he wept when kicker Shaun Suisham's field goal rose into the foggy night and dropped through the goalposts. What else could he do?

Last Monday he sat for hours at the Steelers' practice facility watching the tape of the eight-turnover game and a sick feeling grew in his stomach. All those days practicing for games he would never play and this is what he did with the one Pittsburgh desperately needed? How that memory of Cleveland burned inside.

"You want to prove that last week was a fluke," he said.

Next week he probably won't play. By the weekend, Roethlisberger's ribs and shoulders will be healed and Batch will practice but not play. He's started only nine games since the Lions released him in 2001. In 2002, 2004 and 2008 he didn't get in one game, not even for one pass. No statistical line exists for him in those seasons. It's like he was never there.

The Steelers knew. Players have come to trust him as a leader, as a reason to fight.

He's been their union representative, a player-coach, someone who has been around long enough to have an answer for every situation that could possibly arise.

And also, it seems, a way to win the game they absolutely needed.

So Sunday night, with the victory complete and the playoffs a reality again in this 7-5 season, Batch was one of the last Steelers to walk into the tunnel beneath the stadium. There outside the locker room stood Tomlin with a smile on his face and his hand outstretched just as he had all those wins when Batch never played.

"Good to see you got a trick or two left in you!" Tomlin shouted.

And for once Charlie Batch could smile back and say: "Yes."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--charlie-batch-tears-up-after-showing-steeler-grit-in-comeback-victory-against-rival-ravens-034252889.html

Hawaii 5-0
12-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Smiles are what it’s all about for Batch

Posted by Teresa Varley on December 4, 2012

http://nflcomsteelers.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/2012_batchtoydrive_1a.jpg?w=425&h=400

“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.”

– Excerpt from an editorial in the New York Sun, 1897, in response to child’s letter about the existence of Santa Claus.

On Christmas Eve, a doorbell will ring at a home in the Mon Valley area, and an excited child who can barely sleep in anticipation of Christmas morning will jump off their couch and curiosity will get the best of them as they peek out the window to see if maybe, just maybe Santa Claus is coming to the front door instead of down the chimney.

As mom answers the door, they will peer around her and their eyes will widen as they can’t believe who they see standing on their porch. No, it’s not Santa Claus, but it might as well be. Standing in front of them will be Charlie Batch, holding not just a sack of toys, but the dreams of what Christmas morning is made of.

“Sometimes the kids are excited because I am knocking on their door,” said Batch. “When you see their face on Christmas Eve you are like, ‘Wow, this is what it’s about,’”

Batch gets nothing but joy as he tells the kids that Santa asked him to help deliver the toys, bringing happiness to those who might otherwise go without the simple pleasure of a toy on Christmas morning. And it warms his heart when he sees the tears flowing from a grateful mother who might not otherwise be able to provide for their kids.

Batch is as excited about this Christmas Eve as the kids, so anxious to go out and deliver the toys for the sixth straight year, many of them donated by Steelers’ fan at the annual “Batch of Toys” drive, held at Dave & Buster’s at the Waterfront on Tuesday. Batch and his teammates signed autographs for those who brought toys.

“It’s unbelievable,” said Batch of the support he gets. “This time of year is always special for me. So many people support it, fans believe in what we are doing. We even have wrapping parties and everyone comes over and wraps them.”

The toys will be shared with local women’s shelters, the Salvation Army, UPMC Children’s Hospital AIDS patients, Pittsburgh Housing Authority, McKee Temple and families in the Mon Valley and Allegheny County that Batch will visit on Christmas Eve.

“When you are able to go out and see the expressions on a kid’s face when you are out there delivering the presents, no matter if it’s Christmas Eve or going to women’s shelters or Salvation Army, it’s something that gets me,” said Batch

Batch collects toys throughout the month of December through the Best of the Batch Foundation, combining them with his own donations to help those who are struggling during the holiday season.

“There is so much need for it throughout the year which people just don’t know,” said Batch. “You don’t hear all of the stories. For us to go out and do our small part…we are just trying to make a difference.”

The letters that Batch receives in the days, weeks and months after Christmas are proof that he is making a difference, filled with thanks, love and gratitude. Knowing what it means to so many makes him so excited to do it again.

“I am ready to drive the sleigh,” said Batch. “I am already looking forward to it.

“When I think of this time of year, I enjoy putting on the Santa hat, going out and delivering the toys. That is what it’s all about.”

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. In this case he might wear black and gold instead of a red suit, but it doesn’t matter. He makes you a believer.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/04/smiles-are-what-its-all-about-for-batch/