PDA

View Full Version : Endo Troy???

IamTheSteelGod
11-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Does anyone expect to see him back this season? If he does return, will he make any mark on the D#? We are getting on without him, granted Munday and co are no match, but with Clark playing the way he does and the no1 rank against the pass, 5th against the run, does this necessarily mean that we need to keep him on our roster. I think we should bin him off at the end of the season and look else where. We done it with Hope! I am just fed up of him sitting on the sidelines, and only playing half a season. Your thoughts???

harrison'samonster
11-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I was starting to think he was done for, but I they recently changed his status to doubtful or questionable I thought, which makes me hopeful.

Troy P has arguably been the most important defensive player for the Steelers in these last superbowl winning teams. If he is done for, hats off to the man!

steelfury02
11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
my personal opinion (ya know, cause you all asked for it lol) - is that they need to keep Troy either spied up on a QB and have him roam the first 5-10 yards, or just have him help a CB all game long. To me, there is just too much to gamble in letting him run loose and play some guessing games. I think he is in fact a half step off and it is causing a lot of missed tackles (just based on recent history - not body of work) The guy is great, I love him, am glad he is a Steeler for life - but at this point, if we can get on the right track - I say don't mess with chemistry and have him free-ballin it out there. Give him some specific assignments at this point.

SoCalFan
11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
No one is better at BLOWING UP plays at the critical moment! Also remember, he makes the entire D play better by just being out there! When he returns at full health (he came back WAY too soon early this season) he will be HUNGRY and the doubters will be eating crow...

steelfury02
11-23-2012, 11:09 AM
No one is better at BLOWING UP plays at the critical moment! Also remember, he makes the entire D play better by just being out there! When he returns at full health (he came back WAY too soon early this season) he will be HUNGRY and the doubters will be eating crow...

you know - i hear ya - but even if he is 100% - he still isn't game speed ready - I'm just not as gung ho anymore on him. I hope he proves a lot of people wrong - I would love for him to come back and help this defense put the rest of the league on notice.

Steel_Bus_24
11-23-2012, 11:14 AM
after his second injury....I thought it was expected that he'd be out till mid-late December.....I think hes still on schedule to get back this year.....though I hope doesn't get hurt again then

nj1923steelgirl
11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I hope he comes back this year...we are better with him..but I dont want him to come back and then just get hurt again...so Troy only if your really healed.....

Darkstorm05
11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
It's funny, because earlier this year everyone was claiming our defense couldn't function without him. I don't think he's even remotely worth what he's being payed, and the fact our defense is really turning it up without him just drives that point home. I don't ever see doing doing anything to justify 10+ mil a year at this point in his career.

ZoneBlitzer
11-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Will Allen has done great in his absence. I'm not sure that Troy can play the safety position straight up like Allen does. He has his specialties which make him unique but playing safety in a conventional manner is his weakness. When he was playing, he was often out of position and taking the wrong angles too often.

I don't think he's worth 10 million a year for what he offers. On top of that, he has become injury prone. I hate to say it but it might be time to move on from Troy. He's been a great Steeler but it just feels like things are winding down for him.

Hawaii 5-0
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Will Allen has done great in his absence.

I agree, makes you wonder why it took so long for Tomlin and LeBeau to get Mundy the hell out of there and let Will Allen play?

DoctorCAD
11-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm starting to wonder if his "injury" is some kind of cover-up for some other "issue".

It just seems odd...

Chadmagic
11-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm starting to wonder if his "injury" is some kind of cover-up for some other "issue".

It just seems odd...

My thoughts too. A calf strain shouldn't take this long to heal up.

Terminator
11-23-2012, 10:25 PM
My thoughts too. A calf strain shouldn't take this long to heal up.

A type II calf strain (which is what Troy has) typically takes 8 weeks to heal. The injury involves micro-tears in the muscle fibers. Troy has so far missed 6 weeks of play time.

If it was a type III, he would be looking at surgery and 8 months recovery.

Millers the sh!t
11-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Love the man. Always have, always will, but he ain't worth the $ any more. Trade him if it's possible, or put him on a leash and limit his role. Stick him in the back and let him intercept deflected balls all day like Ed Reed does, and keep him on the field with a jersey, pads, and helmet on. not the sidelines with sweatpants and a ear bud.

I'd like to trade him for a good draft pick and get a comp. Pick for Wallace. It's always time to think about the future.

ChristianKustomz
11-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I do not understand why this particular calf injury has set him out for half the season? I just don't understand the extent to that injury. It's a torn calf muscle right? I didn't know they took that long to heal.

Now there is a catch 22 with the pay. When they hired Troy they did so with the expectation he was not going to get hurt. While at the same time I do not agree that they should get paid for sitting on the side lines either. I personally think many of them play it up and cry wolf. I believe if you don't work, you don't get money. Plain and simple. I know many of you may disagree with me but when your making millions of dollars well...perhaps some should be better stewards of their money. But who am I to say anything? I haven't made my millions yet. :-)

Rick5895
11-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Troy is a great player, when he's healthy his presence on the field causes confusion in the opposing offense. I think Troy has lost a 1/4 step and that does explain some of the poor angles he takes going after ball carriers. Will Allen has been playing very well so it's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario when troy is healthy enough to be back.
My fear for troy , however, is that he has played with such reckless abandon over the years that his body is finally breaking down from all the wear and tear. I am hopeful he comes back and helps us to #7 this season, but I fear the end of a great career is closer than we may think.

FrancoLambert
11-24-2012, 08:59 AM

It just seems odd...

As his "calf injury" lingered on and on I suspected a "cover-up" for an Achilles injury of some sort.
No proof just a hunch.

DoctorCAD
11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
A type II calf strain (which is what Troy has) typically takes 8 weeks to heal. The injury involves micro-tears in the muscle fibers. Troy has so far missed 6 weeks of play time.

If it was a type III, he would be looking at surgery and 8 months recovery.

I have a type 2 and even without the high end medical stuff he has, I'm back to normal in 5 weeks. I know I'm in way worse shape than him, and I have 20 years on him.

Darkstorm05
11-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a type 2 and even without the high end medical stuff he has, I'm back to normal in 5 weeks. I know I'm in way worse shape than him, and I have 20 years on him.

His warmup and training routine also draws a lot of fire. When other players are on the field jogging around, stretching, etc., Troy is never joining in. In the past they let him do whatever training he wants by himself in the offseason. I think I remember Ike Taylor at one point saying he wanted Troy to join him and a couple others in their routine because Troy's obviously isn't getting the job done. Also keep in mind this injury first began last season.

uclkyle
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I think if he is healthy, he should be immediately inserted into the defense. Although this defense is very good, it's far from great. The D is missing that one player who can create turnovers. Woodley and Harrison don't seem to be able to create fumbles and our backfield is among the worst at creating INTs. Even today's game would have been won if we could have created one more turnover (i.e. Ike dropping two I believe).

Darkstorm05
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I think if he is healthy, he should be immediately inserted into the defense. Although this defense is very good, it's far from great. The D is missing that one player who can create turnovers. Woodley and Harrison don't seem to be able to create fumbles and our backfield is among the worst at creating INTs. Even today's game would have been won if we could have created one more turnover (i.e. Ike dropping two I believe).

Over the last 18 games Taylor and Woodley both have as many INTs as Troy. His season changing days are over.

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Will allen has been "serviceable" as a back-up to Troy. He didn't look that great today and struggled to make tackles letting guys get first downs. When Troy is healthy we need to get him back in there. No one can blow up a play and wreak havok like Troy Polamalu. I certainly don't think there is any type of "cover up". I think he is healing. Just look at my sig.

Terminator
11-26-2012, 06:38 AM
The last time Troy was healthy and playing hard, he was Defensive Player of the Year. That was 2 years ago. And he still missed 4 games!

Troy was battling this same injury last year, and it was not rehabbed properly. We are paying for it now. I also believe Troy stated he knowingly played through concussions last year.

I don't expect him to come right in and blow up the entire team, but he will make a difference. Even if small, teams have to gameplan just for his presence.

BritishSteel
11-26-2012, 06:45 AM
It's a tough question. I think the secondary has been playing more consistently without him - perhaps because they're not having to rely on a LB to cover the coverage in the secondary as they would when Troy was on patrol or involved in one of LeBeau's zone blitzes. That said, the D isn't the turnover machine it is normally with Troy in there, and we lack that unpredictability that forced a lot of teams to play conservative O against us when he's in there.

A fit, healthy Troy is an asset to any team - I do wonder if, when he does come back, LeBeau will look at the progress made in our Secondary this season and change his role somewhat.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
It's a tough question. I think the secondary has been playing more consistently without him - perhaps because they're not having to rely on a LB to cover the coverage in the secondary as they would when Troy was on patrol or involved in one of LeBeau's zone blitzes. That said, the D isn't the turnover machine it is normally with Troy in there, and we lack that unpredictability that forced a lot of teams to play conservative O against us when he's in there.

A fit, healthy Troy is an asset to any team - I do wonder if, when he does come back, LeBeau will look at the progress made in our Secondary this season and change his role somewhat.

I'm wondering this as well. You can't sacrifice progress for the sake of someone's resume. The defense as a whole has had to adjust to life without him. If he is going to be on the field - his role needs to be re-evaluated. He is certainly capable of being a ball hawk like Ed Reed IMO - who has made a career out of being a cherry picker. Problem is - that has burned them a lot too. Damned if you do, like you've all been saying. This draft might be the year we need to trade up for a big time safety or CB. We need someone that can make a living out of getting INTs. I just feel desperate at this point.