PDA

View Full Version : Editorial: The Crowbar Bowl

teegre
11-24-2012, 02:43 PM
The server has been down. We were waiting to post this in the editorials, but we decided just to post it here. Enjoy.

The Crowbar Bowl
by
Tiger Rowan

A few years ago, the media gave a nickname to the Steelers-Ravens rivalry. Akin to the “Backyard Brawl” and/or the “Civil War” in college football, these hard-hitting games between these AFC North powerhouses have been awarded a suitable moniker: The Crowbar Bowl. 

Perfectly apt. 

Speaking of college football, rivalries often have trophies passed back & forth between winners.  When one considers all of the defensive juggernauts playing on both of these teams, a broken rib is the perfect trophy for this rivalry.  Not a flag of a broken rib, or even a plastic rib; I mean an actual broken rib. 

As former Ravens coach, Brian Billeck, once stated, “The Steelers & Ravens line up across from each other and say ‘Hit me as hard as you can.’  And, both sides do, until one of them falls. These are the two toughest teams in football; no one else in football would line up & exchange blows like that…and ENJOY IT.” 

Likewise, Jim Rome once averred, “Often games are over-rated.  ‘This team hates that team’ And, it is all hyperbole.  Not with the Steelers & Ravens.  They always deliver…they always play full-tilt…and we are never disappointed.” 

And, this last installment was no different: it was a three-hour slobber-knocker.

Aside from a quick, opening-drive touchdown by the Steelers and a punt return for a touchdown by the Ravens, there was only three field goals scored in the remaining fifty-eight minutes of play. Ray Rice could only gain forty yards on twenty carries; Torrey Smith was held to one reception for seven yards; and Jerricho Cotchery not only had a reception knocked out of his hands, he was knocked out for at least another week. Oh, and Byron Leftwich had two of his ribs broken.

In other words, fantasy football affectionados beware.

This was not a game of great statistics and/or dynamic scoring. This was a good, old-fashioned fist-fight… and I could not take my eyes off of it. That said, hopefully, the second time around, Pittsburgh is the one collecting the broken ribs, and the win, from Baltimore & its quarterback. Luckily for me, they will go at it all over again, in just two weeks.