PDA

View Full Version : Time to start the Brian Hoyer era in Pittsburgh?

Fire Haley
11-25-2012, 03:35 PM
The Charlie Batch experiment was a complete failure.

amen

whoever thought that old rag armed bum could play was clearly delusional

take the needle Ben

Jahodac
11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
He hasn't even seem the playbook for more than a week. Batch will be in next week unfortunately.

Chadmagic
11-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't think Hoyer could have been any worse than Batch today. 3 Ints is about right for a rookie. But at least he may have been able to throw the deep ball.
What sucks is watching Kaepernick for the 49ers coming in and doing a great job. Just like a backup should. IDK why we don't have a backup like that. SMH

Jpeezyiseternal
11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
look at charlie's record in pittsburgh

the guy wins football games

today was an exception

i think it would be nice to see teams run polls so that our favorite players stay on our favorite teams

i'd be exstatic to see dennis dixon start some more games in the burgh. just like i wanted tee martin to get more snaps while in the black and gold

ZoneBlitzer
11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
At this point I would consider starting Heath Miller. He has played the position before and knows the offense.

casteeler
11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
He hasn't even seem the playbook for more than a week. Batch will be in next week unfortunately.

A coaching staff that allows Batch to start next week should be FIRED!!! Hoyer needs to be practicing and reading up on the Steeler playbook

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
give Hoyer the 1st team reps. Batch can come in for relief if needed. He was and is just terrible. A 38 year old man with a 68 year old arm.

Darkstorm05
11-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I personally think Batch would have been fine if we had kept it short. We rolled the dice on Wallace a few times and got burned. It was a stupid mistake, but hopefully they won't make it again. One of those interceptions wasn't an INT, it was Wallace tossing the ball to the Browns.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought Ben was ready to play next week...if not and we lose next week the season is over

cubanstogie
11-25-2012, 04:07 PM
I think we now see why Lefty started last week. Batch cannot make the throws. Don't get me wrong I don't think Lefty has much left either, but atleast he could keep D honest by getting it down field. Wallace was a non factor for a couple of reasons, 1 is he was too fast for Batch's week arm and the other is he doesn't give much effort and is not an all around receiver. Not worth the 10 mill franchise next year. At some point the coaches have to be to blame with not having a better back up, especially with Bens history of injuries last few years. And Larry Foote who I stuck up for last week when 2 guys were beefing it out over how bad he is was an empty uniform. Oh $hit my bad I thought this was the venting thread. Back to thread I don't know how much of the O he could learn but Batch against Ravens is a loss before we start.

cubanstogie
11-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I personally think Batch would have been fine if we had kept it short. We rolled the dice on Wallace a few times and got burned. It was a stupid mistake, but hopefully they won't make it again. One of those interceptions wasn't an INT, it was Wallace tossing the ball to the Browns.

weak phuckking effort, Wallace stock keeps dropping in my book. Sanders is better. Wallace is number 3 reciever.

MillerMania83
11-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Batch WAS a good backup QB, today he showed it's time to go into coaching full time...Ya can't keep it short with Batch all game if the runnin game is doing absolutely nothing....The D is up and looking for the run and/or the short passes, thats why when they tried the short stuff today, if it wasn't an incompletion the receiver was tackled immediately....You have to be able to show you can throw the ball deep if ya need to....And when Batch first tried to show that today, he showed the Browns D and coaches he couldn't throw the ball deep, NOT EVEN CLOSE...When it's at tha point, time to hang up the helmet Charlie.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2012, 04:38 PM
time to hang up the helmet Charlie.

Problem is that the Steelers gave him a helmet after training camp. That never should have happened.

So many dillusional fans on this board cannot be objective to see that he doesnt have the skills to play in the NFL and love the hometown guy story.

TRH
11-25-2012, 04:39 PM
give Hoyer the 1st team reps. Batch can come in for relief if needed. He was and is just terrible. A 38 year old man with a 68 year old arm.

I agree with this. Make sure he's studying the book all day and night and give him 1st team reps. If he looks good in practice, you HAVE to go with him unless Ben comes back.
Batch isn't an option. Unless you want to lose next week as well.

TheVet
11-25-2012, 04:47 PM
At this point I would consider starting Heath Miller. He has played the position before and knows the offense.

Interesting thought, but can we afford to risk the health of our offensive MVP behind this sub-NFL caliber OL?

MillerMania83
11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Problem is that the Steelers gave him a helmet after training camp. That never should have happened.

So many dillusional fans on this board cannot be objective to see that he doesnt have the skills to play in the NFL and love the hometown guy story.

I totally agree...There is NO WAY he should have made the roster this year....if ya want him around to teach young guys, GREAT, so be it, then make him a coach, NOT A BACKUP QB wo may really have to go in there and play...I wish they would have kept Dixon around, I think the kid had some nice skills, just never had a chance to get better...Even the Johnson kid in preseason showed he can play and MAKE PLAYS....The front office is HUGELY responsible for this mess we are in now at the QB position.

steelersfan77
11-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't think Hoyer could have been any worse than Batch today. 3 Ints is about right for a rookie. But at least he may have been able to throw the deep ball.
What sucks is watching Kaepernick for the 49ers coming in and doing a great job. Just like a backup should. IDK why we don't have a backup like that. SMH

Kaepernick was one of the top qb's chosen in the draft, a guy drafted to be the potential starting quarterback in the 49ers organization at some point. He was drafted early because of the failures of Alex Smith. All this before Smith pulled it together under Harbaugh .

Complelety different situations.

I think fans would have had a cow here had the Steelers taken a WB in the second round with other glaring needs ahead. We tried with Dixon.

NYC_Steeler
11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
It would be a miracle if Hoyer plays next week instead of Batch. That would be an admission by Tomlin that he made a big mistake in keeping Batch on the roster - and we all know Tomlin will never admit that he is wrong.

teegre
11-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Batch = makes good reads; can't get the ball there (no arm)

Hoyer = great arm; can he make the correct reads?

Pick your poison.

[Hopefully, the RBs will stop fumbling, so that WHOMEVER the QB happens to be, the Steelers can just hand off 25-30 times.]

tanda10506
11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Hoyer needs to get the first team reps. Batch has been a quality backup for years, the record proves it, but it's over for him now. He has no strength in his arm and he's pretty inaccurate even on the short throws. Plax and Miller are big targets, which is what Batch needed. Notice how Miller got a lot of yardage over the middle? Yet we continued to f*** around with our play calling and didn't use Miller or Plax (6'5) in the 8-10 yard range nearly enough. Regardless, if you can only make one throw to a certain player it's time to go, and unfortunately for Batch it's that time.

We have nothing to lose by giving him a try. Until Ben get's back the offense is going to struggle, doesn't matter if it's Batch or Hoyer playing, but we were close to beating Baltimore with Leftwich playing hurt. We were one ST play away from winning. So if Hoyer can make a throw or two that Leftwich didn't then maybe we can win. As for the Hoyer era....Ben has years of HOF play left.

FrancoLambert
11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Batch = makes good reads; can't get the ball there (no arm)

Hoyer = great arm; can he make the correct reads?

Pick your poison.

[Hopefully, the RBs will stop fumbling, so that WHOMEVER the QB happens to be, the Steelers can just hand off 25-30 times.]

I'll take the better arm and lack of experience over no arm and years of experience.
The better arm can make a good throw occasionally.
No arm, no good throws......we saw that today.

FacemeIke
11-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Batch looked okay in the second half, but he doesn't have the arm to throw deep or hit a deep out. Wallace did him absolutely no favors though. Granted the tipped pass was behind Wallace and tough, but he made no effort on the deep throw that got picked or the one that hit the Browns' player's helmet.

I was calling for Hoyer in the first half, but Charlie's throws looked good enough in the second half where I still think he's a better option than someone that doesn't know the playbook.

AgentGold007
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
I think that with that timid offensive game plan that the Steelers came up with, they were far too predictable and easy to defend. Charlie's weak arm didn't help, but neither did Haley. Everyone and their mother knew that the Steelers were going to run the football, a little more play action would have probably helped. But then again, with the way Charlie was throwing, maybe not.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Hoyer ERA? LOL

thats as laughable as the Offense we had on the field today. Has Tomlin taken all the responsibility yet?

AgentGold007
11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
We need to send Ben to see Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid, so he can get healed real quick.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
At this point we need someone with an arm more than someone who can read the defense but not get the ball there. The playbook can be dumbed down. It was tailored for Leftwich and Batch, it can be tailored for a rookie off the practice squad. Ask the offense for a touchdown and two FGs and let the defense win it from there. If the ravens defense never has to leave the box they can stand the running backs up, gang tackle and strip the ball all day. None of the RBs are healthy as it is. How long will they will be able to go against the dirtiest defense in league with no chance of a throw past the flat?

dpc13
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Hoyer should have been in to heave a bomb at the end . How many plays do you have to memorize to do that ?

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Batch played as well as he could given the extremely short amount of time that was given to him to prepare. He had historically won more games as a Steeler in the starting QB position than lost - and even after today, that still stands. I felt as though he was beginning to warm up - but hell, this is an offense that has played with three different QBs in three weeks. Batch wasn't supposed to be carrying the load of the offense - our run game should have allowed Batch to keep it simple and efficient - but that's not going to happen when you have every single rusher dropping the ball.

This disrespect towards him is not unexpected given the result of the game - but there is a hell of a lot of blame to go around, and considering the circumstances, Batch probably did enough to have won...had the rest of our offense had likewise gotten their shit together.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
It is becoming increasingly clear though that - at least this season - Ben is the elite QB that I always knew him to be. Our offense is not at its best right now - with or without Ben (read: Wallace...fumbles, dropped balls and numerous injuries) - but it's pretty evident that this team lives and dies by Number 7. Its just incredible just how much of a difference he brings to the game.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
It is becoming increasingly clear though that - at least this season - Ben is the elite QB that I always knew him to be. Our offense is not at its best right now - with or without Ben (read: Wallace...fumbles, dropped balls and numerous injuries) - but it's pretty evident that this team lives and dies by Number 7. Its just incredible just how much of a difference he brings to the game.While I have been critical of BR in the past, this is not that, but the problem is not just how good Ben is, it's that our backups are that bad. Leftwich didn't take two snaps before sustaining what should have been a game ending injury last week, and Charlie, who didn't have a strong arm to start with, has lost what he had. Whoever made the decision to keep Leftwich and Batch as backups did us no favors.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
While I have been critical of BR in the past, this is not that, but the problem is not just how good Ben is, it's that our backups are that bad. Leftwich didn't take two snaps before sustaining what should have been a game ending injury last week, and Charlie, who didn't have a strong arm to start with, has lost what he had. Whoever made the decision to keep Leftwich and Batch as backups did us no favors.

While I like Lefty and Batch and respect both of them - I agree with you in part. I still think Ben is a large part of this team's success since he became our starter.

But, yeah - it's as if the Steelers have begun to simply take Ben for granted - like, he'll either end up being okay and making big plays (as risky as they usually are) and assume that he's always going to be on the field and play well (even when he's deplorably injured, evidently - look at last season). That sort of mentality is a gamble in and of itself.

But I also think another part of the problem goes beyond the backup QBs. There's also this mentality, I believe, that this team can still win on defense alone and thatif the offense isn't up to par, the steel curtain will ride in like knights in shining armor to save the day.

The reason for that is, well - because, for quite some time, that USED to be true. Yes, the Steelers D is ranked #1 - but it only looks good on paper. The D is playing well enough to win with a GOOD QB in place, but not making enough game changing plays (like the opening pick 6) to save the day. We definitely need more of those pick-6s, forced fumbles and the like if we're going to win with aging and beat up QBs.we have.

For that reason, the organization has likely skimped on the backup QBs. But times are changing. The D is good - but it's time to seriously reconsider this idea that we can somehow eek out a win regardless of who's playing, you know?

SoCalFan
11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Batch played as well as he could given the extremely short amount of time that was given to him to prepare. He had historically won more games as a Steeler in the starting QB position than lost - and even after today, that still stands. I felt as though he was beginning to warm up - but hell, this is an offense that has played with three different QBs in three weeks. Batch wasn't supposed to be carrying the load of the offense - our run game should have allowed Batch to keep it simple and efficient - but that's not going to happen when you have every single rusher dropping the ball.

This disrespect towards him is not unexpected given the result of the game - but there is a hell of a lot of blame to go around, and considering the circumstances, Batch probably did enough to have won...had the rest of our offense had likewise gotten their shit together.

Short amount of time to prepare? Hes a backup, he should know the offense as well as the starter!

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Short amount of time to prepare? Hes a backup, he should know the offense as well as the starter!

I remember reading an article about the way Tomlin manages his players during the season - and one of the things that struck me as risky is the fact that the backups don't participate - they don't get any snaps. They sit and watch. Unless, that is...they have to, one week before a game.

sw04ca
11-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Batch definitely can't make the throws anymore. He's not the guy I thought he was. Mind you, no was is the loss this week on Charlie Batch. There's no force on earth that can make up for that kind of terrible ball security. There's no shame in this for Batch, it's just that his time is over. If Roethlisberger can't go (and that's up in the air right now), they just can't go with Batch. Even if you cut down the playbook, a guy who can make any throw is a better choice than a guy whose arm can't get it out past 30 yards. Especially when you know that the Ravens D seems to be back, and they'll be coming hard.

teegre
11-25-2012, 09:51 PM
It sounds like most people would prefer to go with Hoyer over Batch.

In that case, let me caution that Hoyer might make a few picks (see: Ryan Lindley & Nick Foles)... but, then again, Batch threw three picks (Hoyer couldn't be any worse).

COACHES: Haley now knows that Batch can NOT throw deep, and thus, Haley might adjust his gameplan accordingly. But, Haley could also "dumb down" the offense for Hoyer... and use the team 's current, best weapon: deep to Wallace (which Batch can't take advantage of).

Lastly, there's no "tape" on Hoyer, and so, for two or three games, he might have an edge on defenses... and, in turn, be just good enough to put up a TD, while handing off a lot (17-21 points).

I'm going back & forth... there are cons to each of these QBs. Hmmm...

[NOTE: It won't matter who the QB is, if the RBs can't hold onto the ball.]

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
While I like Lefty and Batch and respect both of them - I agree with you in part. I still think Ben is a large part of this team's success since he became our starter.

But, yeah - it's as if the Steelers have begun to simply take Ben for granted - like, he'll either end up being okay and making big plays (as risky as they usually are) and assume that he's always going to be on the field and play well (even when he's deplorably injured, evidently - look at last season). That sort of mentality is a gamble in and of itself.

But I also think another part of the problem goes beyond the backup QBs. There's also this mentality, I believe, that this team can still win on defense alone and thatif the offense isn't up to par, the steel curtain will ride in like knights in shining armor to save the day.

The reason for that is, well - because, for quite some time, that USED to be true. Yes, the Steelers D is ranked #1 - but it only looks good on paper. The D is playing well enough to win with a GOOD QB in place, but not making enough game changing plays (like the opening pick 6) to save the day. We definitely need more of those pick-6s, forced fumbles and the like if we're going to win with aging and beat up QBs.we have.

For that reason, the organization has likely skimped on the backup QBs. But times are changing. The D is good - but it's time to seriously reconsider this idea that we can somehow eek out a win regardless of who's playing, you know?But even I saw exactly this coming, except that I hoped Ben would be able to go uninjured in the new offense. The D is still great, but they were superhuman, and you can't have that for very long. Leftwich is an injury waiting for a field to occur on. So it only made sense that if Ben did go out we would be in trouble without at least a serviceable backup, and we don't have that. Add to that that none of the running backs look healthy.

sw04ca
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
They're going to have to go deep. Remember, the Ravens are putting up 37 points per game at home. Sure, that's not against the Steeler D, but if the Steelers can't put up 21-24 points, they have no chance next week.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I remember reading an article about the way Tomlin manages his players during the season - and one of the things that struck me as risky is the fact that the backups don't participate - they don't get any snaps. They sit and watch. Unless, that is...they have to, one week before a game.I wish you hadn't posted that. I already don't think he's a good coach. If this is true I haven't been anywhere near critical enough of him.

LVSteelersfan
11-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Hoyer is not a rookie for those of you not in the know. He has been Tom Brady's backup for the past 3 years and has played pretty darn good in what little time he has been out there. Batch should have retired two years ago or been released. Leftwich has never been consistent enough to be a good QB.

sw04ca
11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Hoyer is not a rookie for those of you not in the know. He has been Tom Brady's backup for the past 3 years and has played pretty darn good in what little time he has been out there. Batch should have retired two years ago or been released. Leftwich has never been consistent enough to be a good QB.
I wouldn't get too high on somebody because of success in the Patriots system. Matt Cassell and all that.

SoCalFan
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I remember reading an article about the way Tomlin manages his players during the season - and one of the things that struck me as risky is the fact that the backups don't participate - they don't get any snaps. They sit and watch. Unless, that is...they have to, one week before a game.
That sounds odd. I know backups are used to mimic opposing QBs in practice! They should participate!

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Hoyer is not a rookie for those of you not in the know. He has been Tom Brady's backup for the past 3 years and has played pretty darn good in what little time he has been out there. Batch should have retired two years ago or been released. Leftwich has never been consistent enough to be a good QB.Oh yeah, I did know that about Hoyer.

Fire Haley
11-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Checkdown Charlie called a fumble everytime he checked at the line for a run up the gut, at least it seemed that way.

maddog78
11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
look at charlie's record in pittsburgh

the guy wins football games

The team wins football games in spite of Charlie. Yesterday, they didn't and his rag arm hurt us badly.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
The team wins football games in spite of Charlie. Yesterday, they didn't and his rag arm hurt us badly.

this. the off-throws to Miller were a prime example of not just a rag arm, but rust as well - we don't have the players on O to carry him and take some pressure off.

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
i'd say it's time for leftwich and batch to be replaced. hoyer is a young guy that could be a quality backup for some years, but prolly won't be our #2 until next year, he still needs to learn our offense and won't be effective until he does. not like batch / leftwich have been effective either though.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
i'd say it's time for leftwich and batch to be replaced. hoyer is a young guy that could be a quality backup for some years, but prolly won't be our #2 until next year, he still needs to learn our offense and won't be effective until he does. not like batch / leftwich have been effective either though.

I agree - but, arm strength and trial by fire can't be any worse than what the other two provide at this point IMO

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree - but, arm strength and trial by fire can't be any worse than what the other two provide at this point IMO

could work, afterall ben was a greenhorn and went right in and delivered big time. not saying hoyer is ben by any means, but sometimes if you got it, you just do

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 11:18 AM
could work, afterall ben was a greenhorn and went right in and delivered big time. not saying hoyer is ben by any means, but sometimes if you got it, you just do

wanna make the shortlist of the RBs and WRs that would actually help him out in this scenario?

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I wish you hadn't posted that. I already don't think he's a good coach. If this is true I haven't been anywhere near critical enough of him.

That sounds odd. I know backups are used to mimic opposing QBs in practice! They should participate!

Here's my theory as to why Coach Tomlin might not put his backup quarterbacks during regular season practices: he doesn't want to risk injuring them. The problem with that theory - aside from allowing Batch and Leftwich to get mightily rusty - is they are needed and their services are called upon, they're usually out of shape or woefully unprepared. Paradoxically, if this is the case and he's just trying to make sure Lefty and Batch stay healthy during the season, well.. that makes them even MORE prone to getting injured during a game, when they're needed. And not only that, when they do start, no one is on the same page.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 12:01 PM
yup - good points - we need to get a 2nd stringer that practices on a regular basis, even if he just gets 1 day a week where he gets at least a few sets of downs with everyone

BKAnthem
11-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Batch hadn't played in forever and his rust showed...i do think it's time for him to begin the next phase in his career and Jerod Johnson could have held a clipboard for at least 3-4 years like Aaron Rodgers did

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Batch hadn't played in forever and his rust showed...i do think it's time for him to begin the next phase in his career and Jerod Johnson could have held a clipboard for at least 3-4 years like Aaron Rodgers did

I will say this for Batch - he's one of the most loyal and unselfish players I've seen - his demeanor has always been as classy as it gets - a real team player. He lives in Pittsburgh, he loves Pittsburgh, he breathes Pittsburgh. He is the leader of the player's union and is widely respected (look at the Ravens fan who came here in peace just to give the man props).

He will almost assuredly retire this year - and while I do think he might have a win or two left in him, if he would be asked to fill in for a slew of games, those last one or two wins aren't going to amount to much if the rest are losses. But, here's the thing: the players also respect him a great deal. He could be the most well-liked player in the team (although, I have no statistic to prove that assumption).

So yeah, when he does retire this year (and he will), the Steelers would do well to retain in some capacity as an assistant coach of some form, or even a coordinator if necessary. He knows the team and the team knows him. While Batch may no longer be in shape to play for 60 minutes the truth is, in the Roethlisberger-era, no other backup QB has started and won as many games. If he wants to retire from football entirely, well...that would be a shame, but I'd wish him well. But should he desire to stay on board in some capacity - I think that would great.

He'd be a great mentor for the rookie back up - and possibly future starting QBs - that will inevitably be drafted over the next ten years. I guess we'll see what happens. But I still love Charlie, regardless.

jtbsteeler
11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Batch and Leftwich better be gone next spring. Tomlin screwed the pooch by keeping them and letting the young guy walk this summer. I guess he needed proof and it's cost us two games.

I'm proud of this defense, by the way.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I will say this for Batch - he's one of the most loyal and unselfish players I've seen - his demeanor has always been as classy as it gets - a real team player. He lives in Pittsburgh, he loves Pittsburgh, he breathes Pittsburgh. He is the leader of the player's union and is widely respected (look at the Ravens fan who came here in peace just to give the man props).

He will almost assuredly retire this year - and while I do think he might have a win or two left in him, if he would be asked to fill in for a slew of games, those or two games aren't going to amount to much. But, here's the thing: the players also respect him a great deal. He could be the most well-liked player in the team (although, I have no statistic to prove that assumption).

So yeah, when he does retire this year (and he will), the Steelers would do well to retain in some capacity as an assistant coach of some form, or even a coordinator if necessary. He knows the team and the team knows him. While Batch may no longer be in shape to play for 60 minutes the truth is, in the Roethlisberger-era, no other backup QB has started and won as many games. If he wants to retire from football entirely, well...that would be a shame, but I'd wish him well. But should he desire to stay on board in some capacity - I think that would great.

He'd be a great mentor for the rookie back up - and possibly future starting QBs - that will inevitably be drafted over the next ten years. I guess we'll see what happens. But I still love Charlie, regardless.

I have no doubts that you will either see him or Hines Ward or both back on the Steelers sideline someday. The guy has the makings of a great QB coach IMO.

TRH
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
They're now reporting on ESPN after Mortensen's talks with the team that they don't know for sure....but its highly likely that Ben will try and go this Sunday. We'll see what happens

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
They're now reporting on ESPN after Mortensen's talks with the teams that they don't know for sure....but its highly likely that Ben will try and go this Sunday. We'll see what happens

I certainly hope so! :drink:

Ricco Suavez
11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I am not going to wade through a bunch of old posts but I know that I was clamoring for a younger guy to be drafted in one of the later rounds or possibly an undrafted free agent to be our backup. By all means keep one of the veterans but if the right young man was available take a chance on him. I liked Jerrod Johnson and would of liked to see him get a chance but keeping two OLD veterans was a recipe for disaster behind our line. As any one can see now that without Ben the last few years this offence would be nothing, our line has improved but is no where as good as we once were.

casteeler
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Fingers crossed for Bens healthy return but if not how can Tomlin consider starting Batch after yesterday's horrid Preformance. Batch should have his helmet and pads locked away for eternity! Start Hoyer

jiminpa
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
It's tough. We have to win this week, but I don't want to see Ben man up himself into a season, or career, ending injury, and if you don't think it could happen like that, ask anyone who remembers Bradshaw's last game.

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM
It's tough. We have to win this week, but I don't want to see Ben man up himself into a season, or career, ending injury, and if you don't think it could happen like that, ask anyone who remembers Bradshaw's last game.

True. We also have to factor in the fact that he's a new father. I don't like discussing the effects of a player's personal life in regards to how it may affect their play - but that is a pretty big life change! I'm curious how Poppa Ben's gonna play with a child at home - of course, Ben may play exactly the same as always. But there's always the chance that being a dad now, he might subconsciously change his style of play to some degree. Who knows, maybe he'll play a little safer - it's not only logical, but biological, that he would want to stay healthy raising his son. This could be a good thing. Ben's an elite quarterback and I don't want to see his career end like Bradshaw's...

BlaZeQuietly
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM
bens gonna be back for next week

SoCalFan
12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Bring him in already damn it!!! Oh wait, the game hasent even started!

lopanchein
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
CHARLIE BATCH holds the ball for 6 seconds then takes a sack thats on him not the oline!!!!!!!!! this dude blows we need a quality backup QB

WVABE
12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Wallace wide open in the end zone and Charlie missed him.
(prolly dropped it anyhow)

Hawaii 5-0
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Charlie completed his last 8 passes and led us on our game winning drive.

did you see Batch cry when the game was over? I'm very happy for him, I know he didn't want to end his career losing two straight games for the Steelers...

tucker6
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Charlie proved he has the heart of a Steeler today. He gutted out a very good game when it is obvious his skills are diminishing. I am very proud of him and the team today. This team showed it has great character, and if they can get healthy, could be a force in the playoffs.

JWashington
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Charlie did a really good job today. Huge win for him and the rest of the guys. I'm glad Ben didn't try to come back pre-marturely and risk his body.

kent
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I hope all of you were just venting over 1 bad loss and 1 bad performance because its disappointing to see so many people hate on a player over one game and think our season is over. Have faith!!!