PDA

View Full Version : Controlling our own destiny

ETL
11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Despite this loss, the Steelers control their own destiny for a playoff spot. If anything, it has made it clearer that we will be fighting for a wildcard spot and not a division championship.

EVEN if Ben does not play next week and we lose to the Ravens and EVEN if the Bengals win next week. .. if we win the games that we are supposed to win with a healthy Ben - we should make the playoffs.

(ironically, we should root for the Ravens to beat the Chargers today to help our chances of making a wildcard)

If Ben becomes injured again, then really - what's the point of making the playoffs.

Which leads me to our pitiful backup QB position. It is clear to me that neither Leftwich nor Batch are the long term answers to this position. Tomlin and Colbert have clung on these two as security blankets but their age and limited skills have revealed themselves against NFL competition.

If Hoyer has a descent arm - then I would quickly ramp him up to be the #1 backup and I would not object to the Steelers investing a third or fourth round pick next year for a higher quality QB or grab someone more PROVEN in the free agent market that can run an NFL offense . I hate to admit this but even a Colt McCoy would have given me more confidence than Batch or Leftwich right now.

Anyways, I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation and stand by my prediction that we will go to the Super Bowl this year. I think the Steelers have one of the more complete teams in the NFL when they get their running game sorted out - and Ben coming back will prevent opposing defenses from putting 8 in the box to stuff the run. We have the top NFL defense which always gives us a chance no matter who we play in the playoffs.

stb_steeler
11-25-2012, 03:50 PM
If we had a healthy team id be all for it, but they just cant seem to stay that way.
Adams went down today, it just keeps piling up!

nj1923steelgirl
11-26-2012, 07:32 AM
We are looking at a wild card..but players are dropping like flys......its concerning.....I hope that Ben can come back...and stay healthy!

ETL
11-26-2012, 08:07 AM
If you look at the ebbs and flows of a season, this is a good time to have a dip. Teams that have recently won Super Bowls have had season lows and highs. ( Giants and Packers)

I submit that teams such as the Falcons and Texans have peaked too early and will fold in the playoffs and not make the Super Bowl.

I would also argue that a healthy Ben is much more important than an almost win against the Ravens in Baltimore. If this upcoming game was in Pittsburgh, then I could see us go for it with injured players. Unless Ben is 100% healthy, I would sit him this week. (Also with Antonio Brown and Polamalu)

Fire Haley
11-26-2012, 08:14 AM
I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation

cocaine is a helluva drug

maddog78
11-26-2012, 08:17 AM
If Cincy keeps playing this week, we're going to need 10-6 with a win over them in the mix, and that might not even be enough.

Every game Ben misses will be a loss - that much we know right now.

steelerchad
11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
If Cincy keeps playing this week, we're going to need 10-6 with a win over them in the mix, and that might not even be enough.

Every game Ben misses will be a loss - that much we know right now.

what are you talking about. IF we go 10-6 with a win over Cincy not only will it be enough, but it will clinch a spot. I'd be shocked if 9-7 with a win over Cincy were not enough.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
If you look at the ebbs and flows of a season, this is a good time to have a dip. Teams that have recently won Super Bowls have had season lows and highs. ( Giants and Packers)

I submit that teams such as the Falcons and Texans have peaked too early and will fold in the playoffs and not make the Super Bowl.

I would also argue that a healthy Ben is much more important than an almost win against the Ravens in Baltimore. If this upcoming game was in Pittsburgh, then I could see us go for it with injured players. Unless Ben is 100% healthy, I would sit him this week. (Also with Antonio Brown and Polamalu)

I apologize to everyone that I ripped into yesterday - talk about U_G_L_Y. I just can't stay optimistic with a performance like that. Yesterday's game speaks volumes about the discipline and focus of the rest of the play makers on the O. Emmanuel Sanders was the only guy that showed up. We have zero leaders on offense outside of Ben (and Brown by example). Hell, Plax contributed more to the game than Wallace has in the past two by drawing the PI. We will still need a group of backs next season - so I'm not up for getting rid of Redman - Mendy can't go away soon enough for me - he is entering Wallace territory with his ho-humness.

I don't even care about watching next week's game after yesterday - what a waste of time it will be at this rate. I will really start to second guess Tomlin and co if they force the issue with putting Ben back in there. Haven't they learned anything from last season against 49ers? I think we would have all rather taken 11-5 or 10-6 than 12-4 with a gimpy behind center come playoffs. Let Ben rest for another week - its not worth it.

My overall feeling is that the Steelers need to bring in some training and conditioning consultants - this will be two to three seasons in a row (and i think I'm being conservative in my estimate) that this team just can't keep people on the field.

Can we just start praying for 10-6 with a healthy squad entering in the playoffs now? The divisional talk needs to stop altogether, as does hoping to have Ben back next week. Why would anyone want that at this point? Also - how about a new WR from the draft? Anything is more enjoyable than going on and on about the current state.

maddog78
11-26-2012, 08:31 AM
what are you talking about. IF we go 10-6 with a win over Cincy not only will it be enough, but it will clinch a spot. I'd be shocked if 9-7 with a win over Cincy were not enough.

Cincy is 6-5 and has won three straight blowouts while the Steelers are reeling and piling up injuries They, as the Steelers do, have five AFC losses.

They can still go 10-6 even with a loss to us, so 9-7 may not be enough for the Steelers.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Cincy is 6-5 and has won three straight blowouts while the Steelers are reeling and piling up injuries They, as the Steelers do, have five AFC losses.

They can still go 10-6 even with a loss to us, so 9-7 may not be enough for the Steelers.

We need some sort of miracle for this week - its gonna get ugly - and you better believe they still feel they have something to prove after barely beating us with our backup. They want to humiliate us even more - it doesn't help they are more galvanized after the 4th and 29 play Rice pulled out of his ass. "Ray Rice is coming off the block into the flat - gee whiz - whaddya think is gonna happen de derp?"

maddog78
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I take solace in the fact that even though the Steelers are probably going nowhere, I have another Raven playoff meltdown to get me through the winter.

Another lucky, gifted win for that team.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1791369/ricedown.gif

TRH
11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I apologize to everyone that I ripped into yesterday - talk about U_G_L_Y. I just can't stay optimistic with a performance like that. Yesterday's game speaks volumes about the discipline and focus of the rest of the play makers on the O. Emmanuel Sanders was the only guy that showed up. We have zero leaders on offense outside of Ben (and Brown by example). Hell, Plax contributed more to the game than Wallace has in the past two by drawing the PI. We will still need a group of backs next season - so I'm not up for getting rid of Redman - Mendy can't go away soon enough for me - he is entering Wallace territory with his ho-humness.

I don't even care about watching next week's game after yesterday - what a waste of time it will be at this rate. I will really start to second guess Tomlin and co if they force the issue with putting Ben back in there. Haven't they learned anything from last season against 49ers? I think we would have all rather taken 11-5 or 10-6 than 12-4 with a gimpy behind center come playoffs. Let Ben rest for another week - its not worth it.

My overall feeling is that the Steelers need to bring in some training and conditioning consultants - this will be two to three seasons in a row (and i think I'm being conservative in my estimate) that this team just can't keep people on the field.

Can we just start praying for 10-6 with a healthy squad entering in the playoffs now? The divisional talk needs to stop altogether, as does hoping to have Ben back next week. Why would anyone want that at this point? Also - how about a new WR from the draft? Anything is more enjoyable than going on and on about the current state.

Sanders showed up...But someone else that did was Jason Worilds. He looked fabulous. And you could make a case for Timmons as well.
Other than that? Nothing.

Also - i agree with you on the strength and conditioning. I've been saying this for awhile now. We're getting injured at a clip that is OFF THE CHARTS. I've never seen anything like this. Even other teams that have "alot" of injuries isn't even this close - one reason being its been going on for an extended period of time now that is reaching the word "years".
Something is wrong with this. I do fitness training myself - and the ease of an injury could indeed come right back to this. What are we doing? What could we do different in the training room? I almost think that staff HAS to be replaced this offseason.

steelbelieve
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I salute your positive attitude and Steeler loyalty which are rare commodities in these forums:tt03:. We have to realize that it may not be enough to make the wildcard. At least as the sixth seed. We'd face all road games, and probably have to go through "Clarkless" Denver in the process. I realize we did it in 2005, but wow, could lightning strike twice?? The point I'm getting to is that by winning out, we probably guarantee the fifth seed which would grant the potential of at least one home playoff game, and get the Raven buckaboo off our back. Truly, if we were to win this week, the confidence surge heading into the final part of the season could be eye opening.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Sanders showed up...But someone else that did was Jason Worilds. He looked fabulous. And you could make a case for Timmons as well.
Other than that? Nothing.

Also - i agree with you on the strength and conditioning. I've been saying this for awhile now. We're getting injured at a clip that is OFF THE CHARTS. I've never seen anything like this. Even other teams that have "alot" of injuries isn't even this close - one reason being its been going on for an extended period of time now that is reaching the word "years".
Something is wrong with this. I do fitness training myself - and the ease of an injury could indeed come right back to this. What are we doing? What could we do different in the training room? I almost think that staff HAS to be replaced this offseason.

That certainly wouldn't make anything worse - this element of the organization needs re-evaluated IMO. The Packers during their XLV run is the closest thing I can think of regarding number of injuries.

steelerchad
11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I take solace in the fact that even though the Steelers are probably going nowhere, I have another Raven playoff meltdown to get me through the winter.

Love the gif. Never saw that angle on the TV broadcast, but it clearly shows he was way short. If that angle is out there, how don't the refs have it and if they did, what the hell is wrong with them.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Love the gif. Never saw that angle on the TV broadcast, but it clearly shows he was way short. If that angle is out there, how don't the refs have it and if they did, what the hell is wrong with them.

you can't go by the yellow line though - anyways, helluva an effort by Rice. I'm more pissed at the Chargers for letting check down Flacco off the hook. Everyone is covered - maybe you need to find their biggest offensive weapon, aka Ray Rice - see what he is up to? Absolutely awful focus.

Quackjack
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, we CAN win the whole enchilada with the 6th seed; IF we are healthy.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes, we CAN win the whole enchilada with the 6th seed; IF we are healthy.

mmm enchiladas

ETL
11-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Love the GIF too. I knew he was short the second I saw it live on TV. But as I see it, this was a GIFt for the Steelers as it virtually eliminates the Chargers from the playoffs.

desertsteel
11-26-2012, 09:41 AM
NFL seasons are all about what you did last Sunday. Consider the Giants, media darlings... they have sucked the past few weeks but beat up on the Packers and will now be contenders again. All it will take is beating the Ratbirds next week (please return Ben!!!) and we can mount a hot streak and finish 10-6, earn a WC and make a run. If Ben misses two more games, we are TOAST. This is a QB league. Beyond Ben, our injuries are no worse than half a dozen other teams.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 09:44 AM
NFL seasons are all about what you did last Sunday. Consider the Giants, media darlings... they have sucked the past few weeks but beat up on the Packers and will now be contenders again. All it will take is beating the Ratbirds next week (please return Ben!!!) and we can mount a hot streak and finish 10-6, earn a WC and make a run. If Ben misses two more games, we are TOAST. This is a QB league. Beyond Ben, our injuries are no worse than half a dozen other teams.

dude, not too many teams are without their HOF QB, #1 WR, half the O-line, a former 1st rounder who has packed it in, and a Pro bowl receiver who has packed it in. The amount of injuries is unique, combined with the contract situations - this team needs a miracle

Steel_Bus_24
11-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Love the GIF too. I knew he was short the second I saw it live on TV. But as I see it, this was a GIFt for the Steelers as it virtually eliminates the Chargers from the playoffs.

Man I wish I could be more optimistic, but I feel like Clark Griswold right now in Christmas Vacation...."we're at the threshold of Hell"

Its really all the fffing injuries that is doing it.....

Woodley
Colon
Ben
Brown
Adams
DeCastro
Cotchery
Troy
Gilbert

madtowndrunkard
11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Despite this loss, the Steelers control their own destiny for a playoff spot. If anything, it has made it clearer that we will be fighting for a wildcard spot and not a division championship.

EVEN if Ben does not play next week and we lose to the Ravens and EVEN if the Bengals win next week. .. if we win the games that we are supposed to win with a healthy Ben - we should make the playoffs.

(ironically, we should root for the Ravens to beat the Chargers today to help our chances of making a wildcard)

If Ben becomes injured again, then really - what's the point of making the playoffs.

Which leads me to our pitiful backup QB position. It is clear to me that neither Leftwich nor Batch are the long term answers to this position. Tomlin and Colbert have clung on these two as security blankets but their age and limited skills have revealed themselves against NFL competition.

If Hoyer has a descent arm - then I would quickly ramp him up to be the #1 backup and I would not object to the Steelers investing a third or fourth round pick next year for a higher quality QB or grab someone more PROVEN in the free agent market that can run an NFL offense . I hate to admit this but even a Colt McCoy would have given me more confidence than Batch or Leftwich right now.

Anyways, I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation and stand by my prediction that we will go to the Super Bowl this year. I think the Steelers have one of the more complete teams in the NFL when they get their running game sorted out - and Ben coming back will prevent opposing defenses from putting 8 in the box to stuff the run. We have the top NFL defense which always gives us a chance no matter who we play in the playoffs.

Yea, sure if we go 4-1 to finish the season then we probably get in... What have we done to make you think we can go 4-1? Sure it's possible, but it's a long shot...and if we do manage to finish 10-6 ... do you really believe we can win a playoff game? Sorry to be a pessimist but I think I'm being truthful.

Every team has injuries...we have a ton of them... the problem is our injuries are to key players... obviously with out Ben we are going no where. Then take away our #1 WR, half our O-line, and Troy and you've got a team with real problems. With our current healthy roster - I'd say we might be the worst team in the league.

steeltheone
11-26-2012, 10:05 AM

The Giants are the Champions, they deserve to be media darlings.

The giants were worn down, made it to bye week and came back strong. The Steelers bye was way to early. That will come into play in a few weeks, especially with the older players.

desertsteel
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
The Giants are the Champions, they deserve to be media darlings.

The giants were worn down, made it to bye week and came back strong. The Steelers bye was way to early. That will come into play in a few weeks, especially with the older players.

Last year is last year. They are not the champions of 2012 season. They got spanked 3 weeks in a row, win one game against a good team and they are a "SUPERPOWER" again. My point is that the NFL, more than any other sport, is all about what you just did. When a team loses they are forgotten and when they win they are contenders.

desertsteel
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
dude, not too many teams are without their HOF QB, #1 WR, half the O-line, a former 1st rounder who has packed it in, and a Pro bowl receiver who has packed it in. The amount of injuries is unique, combined with the contract situations - this team needs a miracle

Who is the 1st rounder who has packed it in? I hope you don't mean Wallace because if you do you don't follow the draft much.

AB will be back and we are ALWAYS without half of our OL... every year. Get Ben back and we will make it.

ETL
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Yea, sure if we go 4-1 to finish the season then we probably get in... What have we done to make you think we can go 4-1? Sure it's possible, but it's a long shot...and if we do manage to finish 10-6 ... do you really believe we can win a playoff game? Sorry to be a pessimist but I think I'm being truthful.

Quick question: with a healthy Ben - do you think we can beat the chargers, browns and bengals at home and the cowboys in Dallas?

If you say yes then you've answered your own question

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Who is the 1st rounder who has packed it in? I hope you don't mean Wallace because if you do you don't follow the draft much.

AB will be back and we are ALWAYS without half of our OL... every year. Get Ben back and we will make it.

way to glance over the "pro bowl receiver who has packed it in" - and he sure has. I meant Mendy as the 1st rounder.

torpedoshell31
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Looking at the Bengals schedule they play in order-at San Diego,home against the Cowboys,at the Eagles,at the Steelers and home against the Ravens. If the Steelers beat them in week 16 we would hold the tie-breaker against them, having beat them twice.
The game at the Eagles could be tougher than it looks if Vick is back by then, and the last game might matter to the Ravens if they are playing for a first round bye. If Ben is back by the Chargers game I think we have the advantage over the Bengals going down the stretch.

desertsteel
11-26-2012, 01:40 PM
way to glance over the "pro bowl receiver who has packed it in" - and he sure has. I meant Mendy as the 1st rounder.

I'm not sure that Mendy has "packed it in." I just don't think he is that talented. It's hard to believe that he is still only 25. He seems over the hill.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure that Mendy has "packed it in." I just don't think he is that talented. It's hard to believe that he is still only 25. He seems over the hill.

oh, he's packed it in

yea - he didn't even run as much as Willie Parker and the wheels didn't even have a chance to fall off - they just seem - permanently wobbly