PDA

View Full Version : Draft based on...?

NSMaster56
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
First off, please don't confuse this as 'chicken little' thinking, just more of a genuine 'how to prepare for the future' question:

Based on what we've seen from the 2012 Steelers, how should they draft for 2013 (and beyond)?

Up until Ben was injured, the O was solid (23 PPG)---even without a legit running game and the injury to DeCastro---and the D was also steady as usual (with a few cracks in the armor more a symptom of coverage schemes and/or a lack of a KO offense).

However, since the injury it's clear that there are holes beyond a few 'final tweaks' to a possible championship club.

Should the FO ignore the last 2 1/2 weeks (and next 1-2 until BB is back) and 'go for broke', drafting based on 'one last gasp' title run or should they recognize this justifiable slump as the seeds of a deeper problem?

At full health, it's arguable that this team is a title contender (and one doesn't need to bleed black and gold to notice it).

Conversely, this team is old and injury prone... so should that factor in to key decision making?

Thoughts?

Darkstorm05
11-25-2012, 08:07 PM
First three rounds, I take a RB, Safety, and maybe another CB or D-Lineman. The O-Line has injuries, but it will come together. Around 4th round, QB, then somewhere at the bottom we need a kicker to compete with Suisham.

Going forward, We pass on Wallace and promote Sanders. Maybe keep Plax one more year if Gilreath doesn't show any flashes.

Mendy is gone, and I clean out most of the other backs. I would keep 1 from Redman, Dwyer, or Batch. It really doesn't matter too much which one, because they're all shit in their own special way.

I expect Troy to retire, or at least get a pay cut, because he hasn't been worth half of his paycheck for the past year and a half. Same with Harrison, but he only started to suck this year. Hampton gone for sure, along with Charlie Batch, who belongs in the Smithsonian.

The_Joker
11-25-2012, 08:24 PM
1. RB
2. Safety
3. D Line
4. QB
5. LB
6. WR *if guys walk*
7. IDGAF

AgentGold007
11-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Safety or ILB in the first round. In a perfect world, I'd love to see Manti Te'o sitting there for us to grab, but since that's not going to happen, oh well. Other than that, I still think Dwyer has what it takes to be a feature back, so I think we can pick up a running back in the third or fourth round to pair with him. And we're going to need a receiver since "Where's Waldo" Mike Wallace probably won't be around.

Darkstorm05
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Other than that, I still think Dwyer has what it takes to be a feature back, so I think we can pick up a running back in the third or fourth round to pair with him.

The guy who threw himself on the turf and laid there waiting for someone to tag him down is a feature back? I don't think so.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't think any of the RBs really are healthy. None of them are running the way they have previously.

teegre
11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
R1: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia
R2: Matt Elam, S, Florida
R3: Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
R4: Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama
R5: Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
R6: Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU
R7: some QB

Terminator
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
We definitely need to draft a defensive lineman. Hampton and Keisel are most likely gone after this year. And Ziggy Hood has been a complete fucking bust. I am so sick and tired of seeing people defend him. Cam Heyward alone shits all over him, and isn't even that great in his own right.

A stud OLB would be nice too. Harrison is winding down big time, and Lamar Woodley has yet to play a full season without getting hurt. He also seems to have a conditioning problem. He's packed on quite the gut this year and it shows. Worilds, Sylvestor, Spence. No. Just no. They are not the future of this team.

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
R1: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia
R2: Matt Elam, S, Florida
R3: Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
R4: Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama
R5: Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
R6: Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU
R7: some QB

you're content with our current stable of RBs or do you prefer to sign a RB in free agency?

teegre
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
you're content with our current stable of RBs or do you prefer to sign a RB in free agency?

I think with DD back, The Colon with another year at LG, and both Adams & Gilbert having another year of coaching, any RB should do well behind their blocking.

Dwyer and/or Redman, and Rainey (plus some rookie free agent)... I'd be happy with that.

3rdandlong
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I'd day more than anything we need to upgrade our defensive line or linebacking corps. Were not getting nearly as much pressure on the quarterback as we need to. It's ironic that our defense is ranked number one in terms of yards allowed. Our secondary is really good and so has bailed out the defensive line and linebackers

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I think with DD back, The Colon with another year at LG, and both Adams & Gilbert having another year of coaching, any RB should do well behind their blocking.

Dwyer and/or Redman, and Rainey (plus some rookie free agent)... I'd be happy with that.

not me, I think Dwyer, Redman and Rainey are all average/mediocre RBs. I would prefer a stud RB, like Montee Ball from Wisconsin in Round 2:

Montee Ball sets NCAA TD record

Updated: November 24, 2012
ESPN.com news services

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/11/24/112412-CFB-Wisconsin-PI-AA_20121124171739498_660_320.JPG

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Wisconsin star running back Montee Ball set an NCAA record after scoring his 79th career touchdown on a 17-yard run in the first quarter of Saturday's loss against Penn State.

The score broke a tie in the record book with Travis Prentice of Miami (Ohio), who previously set the major college mark in 1999.

This wasn't the way the NCAA's new career touchdown leader wanted to roll into next week's Big Ten title game.

"It's not the way you want it to happen," Ball said.

"I guess, for your own personal goals, I look on the bright side. I'm glad I have them. I'm blessed," Ball added. "It could obviously be a lot better."

Entering Saturday's game, Ball had 72 career-rushing scores -- including 17 this season -- to go with six receiving touchdowns.

Ball clutched the football tightly in his right arm while getting pats on the helmet from teammates after the touchdown run gave the Badgers a 14-7 lead at 6:27 of the first quarter.

Penn State emerged with a 24-21 win in overtime. Ball finished with 111 yards and the one touchdown on 27 carries.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8669853/montee-ball-wisconsin-badgers-sets-ncaa-career-touchdown-record

teegre
11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
not me, I think Dwyer, Redman and Rainey are all average/mediocre RBs. I would prefer a stud RB, like Montee Ball from Wisconsin in Round 2:

Montee Ball sets NCAA TD record

Updated: November 24, 2012
ESPN.com news services

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/11/24/112412-CFB-Wisconsin-PI-AA_20121124171739498_660_320.JPG

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Wisconsin star running back Montee Ball set an NCAA record after scoring his 79th career touchdown on a 17-yard run in the first quarter of Saturday's loss against Penn State.

The score broke a tie in the record book with Travis Prentice of Miami (Ohio), who previously set the major college mark in 1999.

This wasn't the way the NCAA's new career touchdown leader wanted to roll into next week's Big Ten title game.

"It's not the way you want it to happen," Ball said.

"I guess, for your own personal goals, I look on the bright side. I'm glad I have them. I'm blessed," Ball added. "It could obviously be a lot better."

Entering Saturday's game, Ball had 72 career-rushing scores -- including 17 this season -- to go with six receiving touchdowns.

Ball clutched the football tightly in his right arm while getting pats on the helmet from teammates after the touchdown run gave the Badgers a 14-7 lead at 6:27 of the first quarter.

Penn State emerged with a 24-21 win in overtime. Ball finished with 111 yards and the one touchdown on 27 carries.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8669853/montee-ball-wisconsin-badgers-sets-ncaa-career-touchdown-record

I was excited about Marcus Lattimore... and then... Blamo!!!

Every other RB is a step down from him... (although, I like Ball & Knile Davis, if the Steelers were to go RB in R2 or R3).

Regardless, considering all of the needs at other positions, I "eliminated" RB from my thoughts (& focused on NT, LB, & S).

JVip
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
People forget that Sean Spence was looking like a beast in Preseason. I don't think ILB is a top draft concern. We need some depth, so we take a late round project player and keep Foote around for depth.
Hampton is probably done after this year. MClendon shows flashes when he is allowed on the field, Heyward is a beast and Hood is average. I think the D-line is pretty well set for the future or at least not an immediate draft concern. (Especially if Heyward and Mclendon play like we think they can and Ta'amu steps up)
The OLB position needs some help, Worilds is very lack luster and extremely injury prone, that goes for Sylvester too. Harrison will be around next year, he was hurt and is still not 100%, after he gets the off season to rehab I think he has a few good years left. The problem is Woodley is not a major impact player, and is often hurt. We need to look towards the future at this position and spend a low draft pick.
We all know our safety issues, this is a top concern.
At CB we are pretty well set, possibly use a mid round pick because Ike isn't getting younger and Cortez may not be able to step into the number 2 CB position. The current rules are geared toward a pass happy league, so another good CB cannot hurt.

Obviously we need a running back, we can find an extremely good one in the middle rounds..

So as I see it we need:
OLB
Safety
RB
QB backup/project
depth ILB
CB

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I was excited about Marcus Lattimore... and then... Blamo!!!

Every other RB is a step down from him... (although, I like Ball & Knile Davis, if the Steelers were to go RB in R2 or R3).

Regardless, considering all of the needs at other positions, I "eliminated" RB from my thoughts (& focused on NT, LB, & S).

and we may need a CB and WR also if Keenan Lewis and/or Mike Wallace don't re-sign with us.

teegre
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
and we may need a CB and WR also if Keenan Lewis and/or Mike Wallace don't re-sign with us.

WR
I'd love Tavon Austin... but, there are far too many other areas of need.

I still see Wallace being here... but, if Wallace leaves, I think that they go with AB & Sanders as their starters, with Cotchery as the third WR, and Gilreath & some rookie free agent fighting it out for the fourth spot.

CB
I truly think that Lewis will be their top priority in free agency ($8 million per year).

Ike, Lewis, Allen... and Curtis Brown versus Leon McFadden (R6, SDSU) for the fourth spot.

If Lewis leaves, the an earlier pick will be a necessity, but again, I see Lewis as their top priority.

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
WR
I'd love Tavon Austin... but, there are far too many other areas of need.

I still see Wallace being here... but, if Wallace leaves, I think that they go with AB & Sanders as their starters, with Cotchery as the third WR, and Gilreath & some rookie free agent fighting it out for the fourth spot.

CB
I truly think that Lewis will be their top priority in free agency ($8 million per year).

Ike, Lewis, Allen... and Curtis Brown versus Leon McFadden (R6, SDSU) for the fourth spot.

If Lewis leaves, the an earlier pick will be a necessity, but again, I see Lewis as their top priority.

I agree...:drink:

teegre
11-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I agree...:drink:

I'll email Colbert, to let him know what we decided. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
11-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I'll email Colbert, to let him know what we decided. :wink02:

I'll follow up with a call to his cell...:wink02:

casteeler
11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
So 4th round is as high as the Steelers should use on a QB? In that case lets just keep Batch.

PhantomJB93
11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I would say Safety, ILB, and RB are the top areas of need right now and should be addressed in the first three rounds. Safety or ILB in the first as there is much better defensive talent there than there will be at RB.

My RB feelings might just be because of the fumbles today, but at the same time I feel the RB-by-committee approach just doesn't work well and having one back to give 17+ carries to a game and allowing them to get in a rhythm is a much better approach. Dwyer gets gassed too easily and Redman and Mendy have both proven they can't handle it.

Otherwise our recent struggles haven't really changed anything in my mind. We need a safety to replace Troy (who clearly is nearing the end of his career), maybe even a second one to replace Clark although he isn't as immediate a concern. Spence COULD be the answer at ILB but at the same time we don't really have a window to see if he is before the next draft, and there is a lot of good ILB value at the end of the first and into the second.

Obviously a backup QB is needed but at the earliest round 4.

Otherwise I think we are pretty much set personnel-wise at Oline, WR, DL, CB, and OLB (Yes, I still think Worilds can replace Harrison). Some depth picks in later rounds could be useful but no reason to take any of those positions early.

lloydwoodson
11-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Steelers will draft defense first next year- NT, LB, CB, or S BPA. Now back to focusing on this year... or are you in a big hurry to get to the offseason so we can speculate about players that will never be on a Steelers roster and stroke each other's fantasy draft picks and proclaim this year's draft to have fielded 4 future hall of famers?

cowherpower
11-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I think the reason why some are calling for D Line help is because we a) don't get to see McClendon play except in brief spurts, and he flashes ability to be starter but we don't know for sure b) our secondary is so bad that it prevents more blitzes and they don't give d line and LBs time to get to QB. We have spent a lot of top picks on this position and I think we need to finally address the two most important positions that we have neglected...OT and CB. I think if we had a true shutdown corner or close to one, that it would solve many of our problems on D.

Looking at this draft it looks pretty strong on the lines, so Left Tackle would be my choice. I take this over CB because we need Ben healthy. Can you imagine how good Ben would be if he had time? We've never seen it, not once in all the time he has been here. Even in his first couple of years with the best line he played behind, they were aging and injury prone. I am just so sick of seeing him hurt, running for his life, and not being able to run a simple play action pass because by the time he sets his feet the defenders are in his lap.

So...

LT
CB
RB
S

We NEED to have at least a stud LT or CB if we want to get back to winning divisions and going to SBs

AgentGold007
11-26-2012, 05:27 AM
The guy who threw himself on the turf and laid there waiting for someone to tag him down is a feature back? I don't think so.

Oh please, after the Cissiassi Bungles game you were probably ready to dub him the next Bettis. No one said the man is perfect, what back is? So should Bettis be left out of the Hall of Fame because he fumbled in Indy? I think there's good value in keeping Dwyer. I'm not ready to write him off this early in his career. But then again it ain't my decision.

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 05:29 AM
ummm, welcome to the forum, cowherpower, but what are you smoking?! Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are awesome! Cortez Allen has been very good as the nickel corner. Unless there is a phenomenal RB that drops to us, we won't draft one for at least one more year. We also may already have signed our back-up QB in Hoyer.

The needs are probably OLB, Safety, and DL in first three rounds. Later rounds another OLB, maybe QB and WR.

All this being said, The Steelers draft whoever the best man is on their board when their turn comes up. Let's get back to this in the off-season. There is too much football to be played until then.

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 05:31 AM

For the record, he tried to cut and slipped on the crappy sod. Many other players did as well. That sod was clearly "for the birds".

Darkstorm05
11-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh please, after the Cissiassi Bungles game you were probably ready to dub him the next Bettis.

No. I've said all along he was our #2 guy, and no more. He'll never be #1 back caliber.

NSMaster56
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Now back to focusing on this year... or are you in a big hurry to get to the offseason so we can speculate about players that will never be on a Steelers roster and stroke each other's fantasy draft picks and proclaim this year's draft to have fielded 4 future hall of famers?

Actually, my initial thought on the upcoming draft was because I look at this team and think, 'damn. They could be 8-3 or better barring a few breaks. What minor tweaks are neccessary to make sure this crap doesn't happen again?'

On one hand I want to believe that a Dennis Dixon or Jerrod Johnson could have TCB the last two weeks, but on the other an old reliable like a Bus or Fast Willie probably could have helped serve as an offensive work horse and run Burgh to W's.

Then on the last hands it's like, well... the D has been pretty stellar, but they're not in their primes and the O Line is never healthy...

It's easy to say that the Steelers need to protect Big Ben, but if it were that easy then injuries would never happen and we wouldn't ever have this discussion. And hard as goody-goody-dell may try, the NFL isn't going to switch to flags or two-hand touch soon, so it's all a moot point.

So what's the backup plan? In case of shit hitting fan, how can the Steelers win without player/gameplan X?

And since the Steelers are not FA players, the draft seems to be the only route.

Please forgive any 'shark jumping'.

teegre
11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Actually, my initial thought on the upcoming draft was because I look at this team and think, 'damn. They could be 8-3 or better barring a few breaks. What minor tweaks are neccessary to make sure this crap doesn't happen again?'

On one hand I want to believe that a Dennis Dixon or Jerrod Johnson could have TCB the last two weeks, but on the other an old reliable like a Bus or Fast Willie probably could have helped serve as an offensive work horse and run Burgh to W's.

Then on the last hands it's like, well... the D has been pretty stellar, but they're not in their primes and the O Line is never healthy...

It's easy to say that the Steelers need to protect Big Ben, but if it were that easy then injuries would never happen and we wouldn't ever have this discussion. And hard as goody-goody-dell may try, the NFL isn't going to switch to flags or two-hand touch soon, so it's all a moot point.

So what's the backup plan? In case of shit hitting fan, how can the Steelers win without player/gameplan X?

And since the Steelers are not FA players, the draft seems to be the only route.

Please forgive any 'shark jumping'.

No need to explain, brother.

I watch college football, and when I do, I like to "project" who I'd like the Steelers to draft. It is a natural thing to do. I know that the Steelers need a safety or two, and thus, I have even watching the safeties (I like Matt Elam). Same goes with the LBs.

Now, if we were predicting/discussing "top ten" players (Manti Te'o, Star Lotulelei), then people could say that we are giving up on the season. But, we are discussing players who will likely be there at 32 & 64 (John Jenkins, Matt Elam), and thus, we are not giving up on this season; we are loading up for next season.

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 12:13 AM
ummm, welcome to the forum, cowherpower, but what are you smoking?! Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are awesome! Cortez Allen has been very good as the nickel corner. Unless there is a phenomenal RB that drops to us, we won't draft one for at least one more year. We also may already have signed our back-up QB in Hoyer.

The needs are probably OLB, Safety, and DL in first three rounds. Later rounds another OLB, maybe QB and WR.

All this being said, The Steelers draft whoever the best man is on their board when their turn comes up. Let's get back to this in the off-season. There is too much football to be played until then.

$$$$$$

maddog78
11-27-2012, 08:34 AM
First three rounds, I take a RB, Safety, and maybe another CB or D-Lineman. The O-Line has injuries, but it will come together. Around 4th round, QB, then somewhere at the bottom we need a kicker to compete with Suisham.

Going forward, We pass on Wallace and promote Sanders. Maybe keep Plax one more year if Gilreath doesn't show any flashes.

Mendy is gone, and I clean out most of the other backs. I would keep 1 from Redman, Dwyer, or Batch. It really doesn't matter too much which one, because they're all shit in their own special way.

I expect Troy to retire, or at least get a pay cut, because he hasn't been worth half of his paycheck for the past year and a half. Same with Harrison, but he only started to suck this year. Hampton gone for sure, along with Charlie Batch, who belongs in the Smithsonian.

I think Dwyer could be a feature back if given the carries. He's got two 100-yard games this year, one last year, and two more this year (Balt and Den) where he was on his way but had his carries limited to 9 and 12.

bhandsome08
11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
There's at least 9-10 LBs that are projected as 1st rounders. I think they get one of those LBs. So I doubt the Steelers waste a 1st pick on a RB... doubt they even pick one up in the draft. The current RBs are young enough to improve, So I wouldn't want to draft a RB who would be a "project" at best. Wouldn't want to draft a back up QB either, since they signed Hoyer. Maybe draft a tall WR in the Later rounds, if Wallace Doesn't resign.

Priorities are S, OLB & ILB I'd think.