PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin is trade bait ,

dpc13
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
enuff of his lack of discipline and good buddy BS. Unload him while his stock is up .

casteeler
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Who should the Steelers replace him with?

Darkstorm05
11-25-2012, 08:45 PM
enuff of his lack of discipline and good buddy BS. Unload him while his stock is up .

Incorrect. F-

ETL
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Please delete this idiotic thread

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Who should the Steelers replace him with?The Chin. Lol.

Okay, I really would love to see Cowher back on the Steelers sideline, but it's not going to happen.

steelerchad
11-25-2012, 08:50 PM
The Chin lost more big games than Tomlin. How soon people forget. Losing all those Championship games. Even when favored and at home and getting blown out.
Move forward not back. Cowher had a lot of talent to get his one SB in 15 years.

dpc13
11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Mike Tomlin shoulders the bad game blame every loss ! NO? So go after a top notch , proven college coach ! Sound do able ?

OliverPoop
11-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Bill O'Brien

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
The Chin lost more big games than Tomlin. How soon people forget. Losing all those Championship games. Even when favored and at home and getting blown out.
Move forward not back. Cowher had a lot of talent to get his one SB in 15 years.
Cowher had Tom Donahoe's personnel most of his tenure. That's what people seem to forget. He managed to make the playoffs with no one better to put in at QB than Kordell Stewart, and having Chad Scott and DeWayne Washington at CB. That took a miracle. He did more with less than Tomlin has, and he learned and got better. I'm still waiting for Tomlin to notice that our special teams suck, and figure out that if you can keep the ball out of the other team's possession when you have a lead near the end of the game you can win without scoring any more points, and that if you are behind by three points near the end of the game you need to conserve time.

OliverPoop
11-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Or...

Todd Haley was brought in to take over and be the next Bill Cowher. He is from Pittsburgh and likes to yell after all. Just saying.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 08:57 PM
It took Cowher a long time to find his groove and to become the excellent coach that he would be in his later years. Other organizations would have likely cut Cowher by 1999 - that's not the Steelers way. Tomlin had an excellent start, but yeah - he was helped by the foundation which Cowher built...over SEVERAL years. Give Coach Tomlin some time to find his groove - he will. But as Steelers fans, I sometimes feel like we're more than just a little spoiled. Coaches are going to have bad seasons. Players are going to have bad seasons. Teams are going to have bad seasons. The Steelers aren't exempt from that painful truth. I haven't exactly been impressed with Tomlin this year myself - but there were definitely years where I wanted to strangle Cowher too. But, when it was all said and done, I think he was a pretty good coach.

Four weeks ago, everyone wanted Dick LeBaeu's head for the inconsistent D. Now it's Tomlin's turn, I guess. Give it a rest.

teegre
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Uh... hmmm... uh... hmmm...

At least other "Fire Tomlin!!!" threads make sense. This is just plain dumb.

dpc13
11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Mike is a decent guy ! Mike would be more effective by showing more disciplinary actions , week after week , win or loose . Shouldering the blame for high price , quality athletes is not an acceptable response . I sound like MT.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
It took Cowher a long time to find his groove and to become the excellent coach that he would be in his later years. Other organizations would have likely cut Cowher by 1999 - that's not the Steelers way. Tomlin had an excellent start, but yeah - he was helped by the foundation which Cowher built...over SEVERAL years. Give Coach Tomlin some time to find his groove - he will. But as Steelers fans, I sometimes feel like we're more than just a little spoiled. Coaches are going to have bad seasons. Players are going to have bad seasons. Teams are going to have bad seasons. The Steelers aren't except from that painful truth. I haven't exactly been impressed with Tomlin this year myself - but there were definitely years where I wanted to strangle Cowher to. |

Four weeks ago, everyone wanted Dick LeBaeu's head for the inconsistent D. Now it's Tomlin's turn, I guess. Give it a rest.I've never called for Dick Lebeau's head, but I'm still waiting for Tomlin to look more like Tony Dungy and less like Jon Gruden. I think I have a long wait.

SteelersCanada
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
The Tomlin hate on this site is getting ridiculous. Someone please lock this thread.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Mike is a decent guy ! Mike would be more effective by showing more disciplinary actions , week after week , win or loose . Shouldering the blame for high price , quality athletes is not an acceptable response . I sound like MT.

That is something that will come in time. To be honest, I think that Tomlin NEEDS some sketchy seasons - no pain, no gain. And by the looks of it, we're probably in for a few sketchy seasons. Those seasons strengthened Cowher - they'll likewise strengthen Tomlin. I know everyone wants perfection, but the world sucks and well...sometimes our favorite football team does, too. It's all part of the learning experience :coffee:

SoCalFan
11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Couldnt the OP have added to the other anti Tomlin threads! Bottom line it, the team is an injured mess, NO coach could fix this from the sidelines! How long have you been watching football, dont you understand chemistry!?!? Take a few key players out of the mix and you have a mess...

Terminator
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't dislike Mike Tomlin, per say, but I have been saying since at least 3 years ago that I wish Cowher didn't retire and was still our coach.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Couldnt the OP have added to the other anti Tomlin threads! Bottom line it, the team is an injured mess, NO coach could fix this from the sidelines! How long have you been watching football, dont you understand chemistry!?!? Take a few key players out of the mix and you have a mess...

This is pretty much the state of it. It's a perfect storm of shit. Tomlin takes the blame in the same way Ben does - he's got class, and he believes in his players. He believes in them, even when no one else wants to. His way of coaching will piss people off - but I think the end will justify the means.

It just won't be this season, unfortunately.

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't dislike Mike Tomlin, per say, but I have been saying since at least 3 years ago that I wish Cowher didn't retire and was still our coach.

I lost a great deal of respect for the way he halfassed his way through his last season with the Steelers...he got his precious ring, and apparently that was good enough for him. Nevermind the team and organization he spent years building - nah, he may as well have slept through 2006. What that says to me is that he was there for one reason - he got it - and after he got it, he was done. Awesome or not, I don't want that kind of coach leading our team.

ZoneBlitzer
11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
It took Cowher a long time to find his groove and to become the excellent coach that he would be in his later years. Other organizations would have likely cut Cowher by 1999 - that's not the Steelers way. Tomlin had an excellent start, but yeah - he was helped by the foundation which Cowher built...over SEVERAL years. Give Coach Tomlin some time to find his groove - he will. But as Steelers fans, I sometimes feel like we're more than just a little spoiled. Coaches are going to have bad seasons. Players are going to have bad seasons. Teams are going to have bad seasons. The Steelers aren't exempt from that painful truth. I haven't exactly been impressed with Tomlin this year myself - but there were definitely years where I wanted to strangle Cowher too. But, when it was all said and done, I think he was a pretty good coach.

Four weeks ago, everyone wanted Dick LeBaeu's head for the inconsistent D. Now it's Tomlin's turn, I guess. Give it a rest.

Well said, and I am waiting for that day to come.

dpc13
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Everyone making personnel moves may need to be evaluated more closely by ownership. Old injuries make young players older fast .

3rdandlong
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't mind of the Steelers let Tomlin go. I don't want to become an Al Davis and fire my head coach every time he has a losing season, but I really don't like Tomlin as our coach. I feel like I could do a better job than him managing th game

AndyWitmyer
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Well said, and I am waiting for that day to come.

Thank you. I get the impression that a lot of Steelers Nation has a bad case of short term memory. All we want to remember is the great years and just sort of gloss over the plethora of years where the team failed to do much of anything. We're blessed and lucky to have a team that is as decorated and respected as the Steelers - but its football - a game of feast and famine. To those with short term memories - it's not all feasts.

I also wait for that day to come. I hope it comes sooner than later - most of us would - but I'm ready to wait and watch this team transition into its next era and see where Tomlin is going to take it in the years to come. There will be more success. It's not a question of if, just when. :drink:

lipps83
11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I've never called for Dick Lebeau's head, but I'm still waiting for Tomlin to look more like Tony Dungy and less like Jon Gruden. I think I have a long wait.

He is nowhere like Gruden. Gruden's buccaneers shit the bed right after they won the super bowl in his first year coaching the team.

Tomlins team not only won the championship 2 years after he took over, but he got them back to the big game his 4th year. Last year they were 12-4 and yeah, Tebow took them out of the playoffs.

This year they are 6-5 and still in it. The defense continues to improve and the offense will get better when BB gets back.

Cowhers players are long gone for the most part. You barely need two hands to count the number of Cowhers players still on this team. That just went 12-4 last year and would be moving along nicely at this point except you have chaos at the QB position.

lipps83
11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't mind of the Steelers let Tomlin go. I don't want to become an Al Davis and fire my head coach every time he has a losing season, but I really don't like Tomlin as our coach. I feel like I could do a better job than him managing th game

Go for it then. Start at the high school level and maybe a university will notice your genius and pick you up. Next thing you know you are coaching in the big leagues and driving ferrari's to practice using voice commands to navigate since you can't bend your knuckles around the steering wheel with two super bowls rings on each finger.

dpc13
11-25-2012, 09:30 PM
QB`S do get hurt .But there was no anticipation that 2 would go down . Steelers did nor prepare thru training for the calamity that we see before us now. Wallace could have made some nice long receptions had the ball led him up field further.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:39 PM
He is nowhere like Gruden. Gruden's buccaneers shit the bed right after they won the super bowl in his first year coaching the team.

Tomlins team not only won the championship 2 years after he took over, but he got them back to the big game his 4th year. Last year they were 12-4 and yeah, Tebow took them out of the playoffs.

This year they are 6-5 and still in it. The defense continues to improve and the offense will get better when BB gets back.

Cowhers players are long gone for the most part. You barely need two hands to count the number of Cowhers players still on this team. That just went 12-4 last year and would be moving along nicely at this point except you have chaos at the QB position.
I hope you are right, but I don't see it. I see glaring deficiencies that aren't being addressed on special teams, in game management and in fundamentals that no high school coach would ignore and expect to still be coaching the next year. The one major deficiency that was corrected was done by ownership against the wishes of Tomlin.

jiminpa
11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
QB`S do get hurt .But there was no anticipation that 2 would go down . Steelers did nor prepare thru training for the calamity that we see before us now. Wallace could have made some nice long receptions had the ball led him up field further.How could anyone not anticipate Leftwich going down? He has not been able to go a full game (maybe quarter) since Jacksonville cut him, and should have been pulled before the second quarter last week for his injuries.

Terminator
11-25-2012, 09:46 PM
How could anyone not anticipate Leftwich going down? He has not been able to go a full game (maybe quarter) since Jacksonville cut him, and should have been pulled before the second quarter last week for his injuries.

After seeing Batch's performance today, I'm not sure that would have been any better.

tanda10506
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Cowher had much less talent for the majority of his career. When he finally got his real QB he went 15-1 with an AFC Championship appearance, the next year they won the SB. We also didn't lose games that we were leading in the 4th, especially not to scrub teams. IMO Cowher is CLEARLY the better coach. That said, who do you want to "trade" Tomlin for? Rex Ryan or Andy Reed, I don't think so. If Cowher were to come back I'd THRILLED, other then that Tomlin is as good as it's going to get. We've been out coached a lot the last year and a half, but he's learning too, and all we can do is hope he gets better.

objectivefan
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
This is ridiculous! Tomlin is an excellent coach. The team needs to invest in better
backup QBs.

OliverPoop
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
This is ridiculous! Tomlin is an excellent coach. The team needs to invest in better
backup QBs.

Excellent coaches don't allow their teams to lose to the likes of Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland, and almost KC. He is mediocre at best.

casteeler
11-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Tomlin says "We own it" ....... and? Not calling for his head but his lame one liners piss me off. How about Tomlin and his staff pick competent players to lead this team down the field and leave guys like the last two QBs to embarass the city of Pittsburgh to pass out Gatorade. Tomlin is a good coach

OliverPoop
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Tomlin says "We own it" ....... and? Not calling for his head but his lame one liners piss me off. How about Tomlin and his staff pick competent players to lead this team down the field and leave guys like the last two QBs to embarass the city of Pittsburgh to pass out Gatorade. Tomlin is a good coach

"At this juncture"
"It is what it is"
"It's a fine line"
"The standard is the standard"
"It's a war of attrition"

TheVet
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Tomlin may only be a C+ or B- head coach, but better learn to love him. The Steelers don't fire their head coaches.

Terminator
11-25-2012, 11:02 PM
"At this juncture"
"It is what it is"
"It's a fine line"
"The standard is the standard"
"It's a war of attrition"

Every time Tomlin mentions "the standard", I usually beat my wife and send my kids to bed without dinner. That's how mad I get.

I am really sick of his one-liners.:banging:

GoFor7
11-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Can I be on your staff? How much will you pay me?

TRH
11-26-2012, 12:06 AM
delete thread.

Tomlin isn't going anywhere. He's still regarded as one of the league's best coaches, in some circles the best. He'll be here for a long, long time. Get used to it. Player execution and injury decimation is really at fault here.
If you want to look at any of the "coaches" - i would start at the strength & training staff here. Something is seriously wrong with the absurd amount of injuries we suffer. It just doesn't smell right.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-26-2012, 12:42 AM
I came to the conclusion some years ago that the coach on a pro level is nearly inconsequential. For example: Chuck Noll is considered a great coach. But how many big wins would he have had without his 9 HOFers? Could anyone have coached a team with so many great players? Or Bill Belichick. He'll probably end up being remembered as the greatest coach in NFL history. But he only finished with more than 7 wins once before Tom Brady. It all comes down to the players if you ask me.

BritishSteel
11-26-2012, 04:30 AM
What is it, in the history of the Steelers, that makes anyone think that Tomlin is going anywhere? If there's a byword for coaching stability and patience, it's the Steelers. They appoint for the long term, and they have a front office that doesn't freak-out.

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 05:09 AM
:iagree:What is it, in the history of the Steelers, that makes anyone think that Tomlin is going anywhere? If there's a byword for coaching stability and patience, it's the Steelers. They appoint for the long term, and they have a front office that doesn't freak-out.

:iagree:
Congratulations on your 1000th post!

Can we stop the hate on Tomlin? He just got a contract extension; not going anywhere. Too many bandwagon/fair-weather fans here. He makes mistakes, but he makes the calls by going with instinct and momentum. I like that he isn't afraid to take some chances and also takes the blame when he blunders.

Steel_Bus_24
11-26-2012, 05:13 AM
We have a legit HOF Caliber Franchise Qb and are blowing our window to get Lombrdi's

To me there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency in the face of that fact. Does Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff think they can just go pluck another BB out of the draft.when Ben is gone????

Its going to be brutal when that happens......I think people have forgotten what it was like to not have a Franchise QB.

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 05:39 AM
We have a legit HOF Caliber Franchise Qb and are blowing our window to get Lombrdi's

To me there doesn't seem to be no sense of urgency in the face of that fact. Does Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff think they can just go pluck another BB out of the draft.when Ben is gone????

Its going to be brutal when that happens......I think people have forgotten what it was like to not have a Franchise QB.

I don't know how you can say this. Once The Steelers knew what Ben was all about, they surrounded him with great receivers and with great (hopefully) linemen. They just signed Plax from free agency. The organization is making a run for the Super Bowl again in spite of the setbacks. You better believe that.

No one has forgotten Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak, and (UGH) Kent Graham. Everyone knows how incredible Ben is. Why do you think they hired a new OC?

Steel_Bus_24
11-26-2012, 06:00 AM
I don't know how you can say this. Once The Steelers knew what Ben was all about, they surrounded him with great receivers and with great (hopefully) linemen. They just signed Plax from free agency. The organization is making a run for the Super Bowl again in spite of the setbacks. You better believe that.

No one has forgotten Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak, and (UGH) Kent Graham. Everyone knows how incredible Ben is. Why do you think they hired a new OC?

I was referring to how they let the team take the field...constantly having to sweat out games against the bottom of the barrel.Sloppy Unprofessional play, The most penalized team in the league..

I saw that sense of Fire, Discipline, Motivation and Will to Win Once all year....in the 2nd half of that Giants game

I will say, the D has shown some grit I didn't think they had earlier in the year....but now after Yesterday, I wonder if they still feel like putting out such an unbelievable effort only to have it wasted yet again

bornaSteelersfan
11-26-2012, 06:04 AM
I think the defense are saying to teach other, "OK, I suppose it's all up to us to score some points. Timmons, how do you make an interception? Troy, man up and get your ass on the field!"

Dalarin
11-26-2012, 06:26 AM
I was referring to how they let the team take the field...constantly having to sweat out games against the bottom of the barrel.Sloppy Unprofessional play, The most penalized team in the league..

I saw that sense of Fire, Discipline, Motivation and Will to Win Once all year....in the 2nd half of that Giants game

I will say, the D has shown some grit I didn't think they had earlier in the year....but now after Yesterday, I wonder if they still feel like putting out such an unbelievable effort only to have it wasted yet again

A good percentage of those penalties are head-scratchers, even for the commentators. Don't you remember any of the phantom PI calls where there was no contact whatsoever?

BritishSteel
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM

Congratulations on your 1000th post!

Can we stop the hate on Tomlin? He just got a contract extension; not going anywhere. Too many bandwagon/fair-weather fans here. He makes mistakes, but he makes the calls by going with instinct and momentum. I like that he isn't afraid to take some chances and also takes the blame when he blunders.

Cheers! I didn't realise that was 1000!

I agree. No-one is suggesting that Tomlin is perfect - I've facepalmed some of his calls this season (the fake field-goal call against Washington being the first that comes to mind) but he's still learning his trade at a team that gives coaches the time to do that. We're just not going to change a management philosophy 50 years old that's delivered the big one six times.

Bayz101
11-26-2012, 06:51 AM
This is what happens when we lose. Go find one of the many "Fire Coach" threads that already exist and spew your crap. It's easy, go back to the weeks we lose. If you're interested in Super Bowl discussion, go to the Giants gameday discussion, and lastly, if you're interested in being a dumbass, wear a helmet and refrain from licking the windows!