PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger close to return

Terminator
11-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Ben Roethlisberger closer to return
Updated: November 26, 2012, 11:20 AM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

How Much Trouble Are Steelers In?

Ben Roethlisberger just may be ready for the Pittsburgh Steelers' rematch with the Baltimore Ravens next Sunday.

The Steelers quarterback will begin soft-tossing the football early in the week to test his range of motion and work through the pain of his rare rib and shoulder injury, according to team sources.

The Steelers need Ben Roethlisberger to have any chance to beat the Ravens but rushing him back won't help if it affects him in the postseason if Pittsburgh qualifies, Jamison Hensley writes. Blog

Roethlisberger slept much better this week, a source said, even with newborn son "Little Ben" in the house.

He has been able to hold his baby with his right arm, and doctors have determined his rib has healed enough that he doesn't risk further damage.

Roethlisberger's pain tolerance and range of motion could determine whether he plays next Sunday against Baltimore.

"I'm going to try," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette when asked if he believed he could return for the game against the Ravens. "It's killing me to watch."

When asked by ESPN about his possible return after the Steelers' 20-14 loss at Cleveland on Sunday, Roethlisberger, who is no longer in a sling, said, "I honestly have no idea what the plan is."

He left the stadium pulling his bag with his injured right arm.

Byron Leftwich started in place of Roethlisberger in the loss to the Ravens two weeks ago but Charlie Batch faced the Browns on Sunday after Leftwich (ribs) was injured against Baltimore.

Batch was 20 of 34 for 199 yards Sunday and was intercepted three times in the loss, which dropped the Steelers to 6-5 this season. In all, the Steelers had eight turnovers in the loss.

ESPN reporter Bob Holtzman contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8673766/ben-roethlisberger-return-pittsburgh-steelers-possibile-next-week-sources

On a side note, they really rip into Polamalu in the video and basically call him out for his injury.

Steel_Bus_24
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Look who we will have protecting him though

Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Beachum

Id rather not see Ben get hammered repeatedly if hes not ready to take a good beating yet.....because thats what he'll get with that OL

Terminator
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Look who we will have protecting him though

Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Beachum

Id rather not see Ben get hammered repeatedly if hes not ready to take a good beating yet.....because thats what he'll get with that OL

Colon should be back next week. His injury is not severe.

I have no idea though what happened to Mike Adams. That didn't look good.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Colon should be back next week. His injury is not severe.

I have no idea though what happened to Mike Adams. That didn't look good.

Seems like they are rushing him back again. :banging:

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
don't rush him back, i'd rather take a losing season than ben get his career/life ended

PhantomJB93
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Colon will be back, with him the line is the same minus Adams. I wonder if Gilbert is any closer to returning? Time to give our old buddy Flozell a call?

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 11:02 AM
exactly - you don't think they want to put him in a body bag and truly, truly make our lives miserable? Its one thing to lose to them again - its another thing to completely say after this week - Ben is hurt bad, again - and we def are done. I'd rather take a licking and go on a 3-4 game winning streak at the end of the season. (If that is even possible)

tburhans
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Colon will be fine he just had a swollen knee. Gilbert hopefully could be back but if not then beachum would have to start with heath staying in to block. We will get antonio brown back this week which is huge for the receiving guys. Sanders has been playing great and add brown back to the mix and that will definitely help whoever is playing quarterback which is hopefully ben

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I thought Beachum did well in relief for Mike Adams. As soon as Adams went down, the Browns started overloading that side, but Beachum held his own for the most part.

TRH
11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
i don't know whats up with Adams. How many times has he either got hurt this year or nearly got hurt? Is he made of glass too?
I still think something's wrong with our conditioning coaches.

Anyway - its looking more and more at this point anyway, that Ben is going to try and go next week.
All i have to say - is that if they do play him, Haley should be calling ONLY the dink and dunk pass plays that lets him get rid of the ball immediately.
They'd be idiots to let him stand back there in the pocket.

Quackjack
11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
If Ben returns next week, make sure he lets go of the ball ASAP.

Also, we do need to investigate our conditioning coach. Adams is going to be an essential O-Lineman, and he needs to be healthy.

Edman
11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Ben shouldn't play next week.

zcoop
11-26-2012, 06:00 PM
don't rush him back, i'd rather take a losing season than ben get his career/life ended

This^. If he's not healthy, don't rush him back like we did last year. Even though we're in a pickle with the back up situation, we have to play the hand dealt.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Agree with everyone who says Ben should sit outthe Ravens game

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result

Tomlin gambled on a hobbled Ben playing through the bad ankle in San Francisco last year and ended up still losing the game while wrecking Ben for the rest of the season

Steelers need to win 4 of their last 5 to make the playoffs (with the must win being the Benglas game) - with a healthy Ben they will be favored in the 3 home games and I like their chances in Dallas - with a hobbled Ben it is one and done in the playoffs

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 06:23 PM
If Ben returns next week, make sure he lets go of the ball ASAP.

Also, we do need to investigate our conditioning coach. Adams is going to be an essential O-Lineman, and he needs to be healthy.

did you see adams get his leg rolled up on? how does a conditioning coach prevent that? how does a conditioning coach prevent m. gilbert crashing into 3 teammates knees or ryan clarks repeated concussions? how will a conditioning coach protect bens ribs?

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result

Tomlin gambled on a hobbled Ben playing through the bad ankle in San Francisco last year and ended up still losing the game while wrecking Ben for the rest of the season

Steelers need to win 4 of their last 5 to make the playoffs (with the must win being the Benglas game) - with a healthy Ben they will be favored in the 3 home games and I like their chances in Dallas - with a hobbled Ben it is one and done in the playoffsravens want no part of a healthy ben in the playoffs and will be looking to end his season (and possibly career) with some extra "hot sauce" if they see him next week.

Edman
11-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Steelers need to win 4 of their last 5 to make the playoffs (with the must win being the Benglas game) - with a healthy Ben they will be favored in the 3 home games and I like their chances in Dallas - with a hobbled Ben it is one and done in the playoffs

With a Healthy Ben, Brown and the Defense playing the way it has been, this team will go on a run and go deep in the postseason, more than likely meet Baltimore a third time (This time in their house) and end their season again. Without a Healthy Ben, the Steelers are not getting past Denver/New England, or more likely jeopardize his season/career and miss the playoffs entirely.

If Tomlin even CONSIDERS starting Ben, I'm calling for his head.

Let him sit. Think for the long term. Take our lumps here and get back in gear. Sit Ben and get him ready for San Diego.

Lady Steel
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
ravens want no part of a healthy ben in the playoffs and will be looking to end his season (and possibly career) with some extra "hot sauce" if they see him next week.

I'm scared that is exactly what will happen if Ben plays this Sunday. We need him long-term.

teegre
11-26-2012, 10:58 PM
ravens want no part of a healthy ben in the playoffs and will be looking to end his season (and possibly career) with some extra "hot sauce" if they see him next week.

That is EXACTLY what I've been thinking.

Suggs hold BB up; Ngata lifts BB's arm; and then some scrub, third-string DB rams his helmet into BB's ribs... and the scrub DB gets suspended (who cares?) and BB is out for the season.

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Ben Roethlisberger: It’s killing me to watch

Posted by Josh Alper on November 26, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/x350-330-e1353944269304.jpg?w=200

Sunday morning brought a report that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would start soft tossing on Monday in hopes of getting on the field for next Sunday’s matchup with the Ravens.

That reports came before the Steelers turned the ball over eight times and lost 20-14 for the Browns. The loss means that the Ravens can knock them out of the race for the division title with a win in Week 13 and the play of the offense made it clear that a loss is the likeliest outcome if Roethlisberger can’t return. Roethlisberger said Sunday that he’s going to give it his best shot.

“I’m going to try,” Roethlisberger said, via Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It’s killing me to watch.”

He’s not alone. The Steelers have scored just 17 points on offense in the two games that Roethlisberger’s missed with rib and shoulder injuries.

One member of the Ravens is pretty sure that he’ll be seeing Roethlisberger on the field in Baltimore next week.

“I don’t know what kind of medicine the Steelers will put Ben Roethlisberger on this week, but they’re going to give him something,” Ravens running back Ray Rice said, via Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column for SI.com.

The decision on Roethlisberger will likely come down to the wire and the same is true of the Steelers’ chances of making the playoffs if they aren’t able to snap their two-game skid against the AFC North leaders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/26/ben-roethlisberger-its-killing-me-to-watch/

maddog78
11-27-2012, 06:52 AM
did you see adams get his leg rolled up on? how does a conditioning coach prevent that? how does a conditioning coach prevent m. gilbert crashing into 3 teammates knees or ryan clarks repeated concussions? how will a conditioning coach protect bens ribs?

Yeah, was going to ask the same thing. Is there strength training, though, that may help strengthen joints to protect against injuries? I can't believe we're the only team that gets guys rolled up on.

I also think our OL are too fat and slow. Once they get knocked off their feet, it's like a large building collapsing under its own weight.

Might just be that we have a lot of frail guys. It's a trait. Franco was durable, Greg Hawthorne, not so much. Left falls down in the end zone and separates his shoulder. Like Mr. Glass in that M Night movie.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

I see what you are saying about how the injuries have happened - do you think it is more of our guys not making business decisions and sacrificing themselves for the greater cause? I'm just baffled at how this keeps happening to us - I do think the O's problem is a combination of the body types that were drafted plus complete lack of balance