View Full Version : Players and coaches gone next year

RuHappy69
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
or 'should be'..

Coaches (I think Tomlin will have to be told to make changes to staff):
- Special Teams coach is a joke.
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Oline coach? Tossup here
- LeBeau? Some say it is time to retire. Defense is predictable.

Players:
- Batch
- Mendenhall
- Stevenson Slyvester - has done zero and is always hurt
- Larry Foote - won't start over a healthy Sean Spence and paid too much as a backup.
- Ryan Mundy - just awful
- Hampton - retires. McClendon more than ready to take over. Should be starting now!
- Leonard Pope - they kept him over a promising Saunders?? Does he even dress?
- Mike Wallace - He will leave in FA, probably to the Colts and back with Airens.
- Harrison? - Old and not the same. Starting to round into football shape and played decent against the Clowns but really how much more does he have left and he is another one that is ALWAYS hurt! I think if he doesn't agree to a pay cut he will be released.

SH-Rock
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Defense = predictable? Smh, defense has kept it close in the last 2 loses, maybe they aren't forcing turnovers, but they are shutting down receivers and making good quarterbacks look awful.

steelfury02
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Special teams - possibly
strength and conditioning - yes - needs to be looked into
Oline coach - no way
LeBeau has earned the right to walk away when he wants to IMO

or 'should be'..

- Special Teams coach is a joke.
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Oline coach? Tossup here
- LeBeau? Some say it is time to retire. Defense is predictable.

Players:
- Batch
- Mendenhall
- Stevenson Slyvester - has done zero and is always hurt
- Larry Foote - won't start over a healthy Sean Spence and paid too much as a backup.
- Ryan Mundy - just awful
- Hampton - retires. McClendon more than ready to take over. Should be starting now!
- Leonard Pope - they kept him over a promising Saunders?? Does he even dress?
- Mike Wallace - He will leave in FA, probably to the Colts and back with Airens.
- Harrison? - Old and not the same. Starting to round into football shape and played decent against the Clowns but really how much more does he have left and he is another one that is ALWAYS hurt! I think if he doesn't agree to a pay cut he will be released.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Harrison? - Old and not the same. Starting to round into football shape and played decent against the Clowns but really how much more does he have left and he is another one that is ALWAYS hurt! I think if he doesn't agree to a pay cut he will be released.

Hard to blame Harrison for getting his face smashed in the 2011 Houston game but I have no clue why they screwed around with his knee surgery until late August

IMO he is definitely gone unless he takes a huge cut - based on this comment this morning I think Ed.B. of the P-G thinks so as well

Jason Worilds looks very capable of taking over a starting role next season

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118985-ed-no-comparison-between-12-and-05

I do not believe Ed anticipates Worilds taking over from Woodley as a starter

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Defense = predictable? Smh, defense has kept it close in the last 2 loses, maybe they aren't forcing turnovers, but they are shutting down receivers and making good quarterbacks look awful.

Agreed - 17 points off turnovers yesterday and the 13 Ravens points last week included a punt return TD and a FG after Reed ran the Walace fumble back to the Steelers 12

Defense has been fine since the Tennessee loss

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
tunch and wolf noted yesterday during the broadcast that the old james harrison is "back", getting push on his man and when engaged is bending them back rather than getting pushed 2 yards off the ball. he's gained his leverage which means the knee and back are finally back to his standards (considering age of course). he was stuffing trent richardson. 6 weeks ago, richardson woulda got atleast 2-3 yds on those stops for losses.

doesnt mean james will return, but it certainly suggests rumors of his demise were premature.

BKAnthem
11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
or 'should be'..

Randy Fichtner- New QB coach so they can let Fitchner go, No QB has developed under this guy

Kugler- Not a fan, but i guess i'll give him another season

Garrett Giemont- Strength and conditioning needs to go.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Special teams - We already fired Everest earlier in the season, I don't think we even have a ST coordinator right now, do we?

Strength & conditioning - is non-existent and needs to be addressed this offseason. Some of it falls on Tomlin to run a meat-grinder of a camp, but all the injuries tells us they are not in game shape at all.

jjpro11
11-26-2012, 07:49 PM
tunch and wolf noted yesterday during the broadcast that the old james harrison is "back", getting push on his man and when engaged is bending them back rather than getting pushed 2 yards off the ball. he's gained his leverage which means the knee and back are finally back to his standards (considering age of course). he was stuffing trent richardson. 6 weeks ago, richardson woulda got atleast 2-3 yds on those stops for losses.

doesnt mean james will return, but it certainly suggests rumors of his demise were premature.

Harrison did look better yesterday.. Not just because he finally had a sack, but other plays as well. He definitely covered more field and made more of an impact than he had done in previous weeks.

defence
11-26-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the d as a whole has looked much better. I know you guys are ragging on Hampton; but he has really took it up a notch.Not saying he's coming back. But in reality there are big descisions to be made. LOL woirlds taking over for harrison. He had one good game. He has done that all year. He is very inconsistent and until he takes it to the next level; i don't see it. Troy is another story. They have play very well without him and he carries a big price tag. Coaches. lebau will retire. Special teams is a disaster as is the o line coach. Other than that; i dont see much else. Oh ya; Wallace and Mendy are good as gone.

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
For as much as we as Steelers fans are willing to readily place the blame on the offense or the defense, or Tomlin, or Tomlin's grandmother...looking back on the season, we lost a fair amount of games by 4 pts or less. In most of those games, I'd go so far as to say that we may have won at least half of them had our Special Teams not screwed the pooch. While the offense and the defense have had their ups and downs, the Special Teams are unique in that they've been consistently bad all season. Suisham's plethora of successful field goals is the only thing that has in any way impressed - although, even that's a catch-22: the fact that Suisham is getting some positive attention stems from the fact that we're not scoring enough TDs.

The_Joker
11-26-2012, 08:15 PM
We can still win the SB with our Special Teams, right? Right?!

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
We can still win the SB with our Special Teams, right? Right?!

I don't see why not. In fact, I'd like to see the Steelers be the first team in SB history to not only get a 7th ring, but also do so entirely on the shoulders of our soon-to-be-MVP Shaun Suisham! Imagine...Steelers 27 (9 Field Goals) - Opponent 21 (3 TDs)

:tt04::chuckle:

NSMaster56
11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
For as much as we as Steelers fans are willing to readily place the blame on the offense or the defense, or Tomlin, or Tomlin's grandmother...looking back on the season, we lost a fair amount of games by 4 pts or less. In most of those games, I'd go so far as to say that we may have won at least half of them had our Special Teams not screwed the pooch. While the offense and the defense have had their ups and downs, the Special Teams are unique in that they've been consistently bad all season. Suisham's plethora of successful field goals is the only thing that has in any way impressed - although, even that's a catch-22: the fact that Suisham is getting some positive attention stems from the fact that we're not scoring enough TDs.

Correctamundo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlzHK3mYatA)!

steeltheone
11-26-2012, 08:53 PM

We used to part ways with players before they became old and less productive. I think we are that point with Harrison. He can still play, probably has a few good games left, but we need the money for other positions.

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 08:56 PM
lets take a look at all the players gone from last game-

ben
troy
colon
antonio
woodley

sounds like a winning formula to me! :thumbsup: (pretty long list of pro bowl calibur players).

BlaZeQuietly
11-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Good Bye Wallace :)

teegre
11-26-2012, 11:34 PM

ben
troy
colon
antonio
woodley

sounds like a winning formula to me! :thumbsup: (pretty long list of pro bowl calibur players).

And a R1 pick who is flat-out good (DD).

But, what's your point?... because Pittsburgh lost to Oakland. :wink02:

(Seriiously, will someone explain to me how losing to Oakland means that having six Pro-Bowl level players on the bench means that when those six players return, that the Steelers won't be a whole lot better.)

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 12:28 AM
And a R1 pick who is flat-out good (DD).

But, what's your point?... because Pittsburgh lost to Oakland. :wink02:

(Seriiously, will someone explain to me how losing to Oakland means that having six Pro-Bowl level players on the bench means that when those six players return, that the Steelers won't be a whole lot better.)coaches dont get paid to make excuses, so they have to spew the typical horseshit coachspeak-

"it is what it is"

"the sandard is the standard"

fans gobble it up, when injuries do matter and infact impact the game.

Rowland2110
11-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Defense is predictable. Like being the number 1 ranked D in the league again? 4 offensive TD's in the last 4 games... ya./

Defense has been Super Bowl quality the last 4 games. Its not the problem.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 07:48 AM

ben
troy
colon
antonio
woodley

Don't forget we were down to our 3rd string RT, a rookie 7th round pick. Any other team has those injuries and commits 8 turnovers to 1, they lose by several scores, even to Cleveland.

Not sure this team can get healthy in time to make a playoff run, but if they do, nobody will want to play them.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Yes, I would be hard pressed to let Harrison walk with no apparent replacement on the roster. Worilds played a decent game Sunday, but I can remember several monster efforts by JH in 2004, 2005, 2006 in relief where you could just see a superstar waiting to break out. In fact, he should have been on the field in 2006.

Anyway, this article spells out what may need to happen to sign Wallace. I say, use that money elsewhere, like on another Farrior-type LB to replace Foote, or Ray Seals type DL.

Either way, we could be seeing a much different Steeler defense next year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/an-early-look-at-the-steelers-2013-salary-cap-situation/

maddog78
11-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Defense is predictable. Like being the number 1 ranked D in the league again? 4 offensive TD's in the last 4 games... ya./

The defense has been very good, but our Super Bowl defenses all had something in common - they took the ball away with alacrity.

Until this one starts doing this, they remain in the very good, not great, category.

teegre
11-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Don't forget we were down to our 3rd string RT, a rookie 7th round pick. Any other team has those injuries and commits 8 turnovers to 1, they lose by several scores, even to Cleveland.

Not sure this team can get healthy in time to make a playoff run, but if they do, nobody will want to play them.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM

This. This defense, plus roster that won @ Giants, heading into KC game can win us #7. Have to hope to at least have Ben, AB, Colon all healthy with everyone staying on the field

AndyWitmyer
11-28-2012, 05:49 AM

They were not Super Bowl quality at the beginning of the year - the Steelers Defense was giving up around the middle of the third quarter. blowing leads and being generally un-clutch. Since that bad start, they look like a Super Bowl worhty D - on paper - but they always do. Our D has definitely improved as the season's gone along, but I can't but to feel our number 1 defense might be somewhat of an illusion.

EDIT: That sounded a little more negative than I wanted it to be. They definitely seem to a legit D now - but let's see how that stat gets tested in the coming weeks.

steeltheone
11-28-2012, 05:54 AM
They were not Super Bowl quality at the beginning of the year - the Steelers Defense was giving up around the middle of the third quarter. blowing leads and being generally un-clutch. Since that bad start, they look like a Super Bowl worhty D - on paper - but they always do. Our D has definitely improved as the season's gone along, but I can't but to feel our number 1 defense might be somewhat of an illusion.

EDIT: That sounded a little more negative than I wanted it to be. They definitely seem to a legit D now - but let's see how that stat gets tested in the coming weeks.

I agree....I'm so happy with the way they have been playing, but if you look at each position, it's not a great lineup.

Terminator
11-28-2012, 06:48 AM
The defense MUST create more turnovers. That is killing us right now.

Our cornerbacks blew 3 interception "gimmies" in the Browns game. That is inexcusable.

Our freaking middle linebacker has the most interceptions on the team. :doh:

MDSteel15
11-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Randy Fichtner- New QB coach so they can let Fitchner go, No QB has developed under this guyKugler- Not a fan, but i guess i'll give him another season

Garrett Giemont- Strength and conditioning needs to go.

Really? Who the hell is there to develope? When al you bring in are undrafted FAs that you let walk, when does he have a chance to develope any of them? Jerrod Johnson should have been on our PS all season being worked with but they let him go because... who the hell knows why!

TRH
11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
The defense MUST create more turnovers. That is killing us right now.

Our cornerbacks blew 3 interception "gimmies" in the Browns game. That is inexcusable.

Our freaking middle linebacker has the most interceptions on the team. :doh:

i absolutely agree with you. Of all the things going wrong.....the special teams playing like garbage, the penalties, this, that, etc.......i think this fact right here is THE single most over-looked thing on this team right now.
It's so mindboggling, i'm not even sure i can find the right words to use. We drop numerous gimme interceptions - and we dont' claw/poke/yank at the ball when tackling (like nearly every other team does - just watch the Patriots tackle - they try and strip the ball on every play). I can't believe this.
Numerous interceptions right in the hands that would have been complete game-changers. Someone better get a hold of this on the coaching staff - and quick - because you're right. Its absolutely KILLING us.

How sad is it when you only have faith that Timmons is capable of intercepting a pass?

LVSteelersfan
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Ike has intercepted very few passes in his career. There is no excuse for the others to not have picked something off by now. Lewis has had his chances. We need an Ed Reed like ballhawk back there. I like Ryan Clark a lot, but he is not a ballhawk. We will see once Troy gets back if it gets any better. It would help if the LBs would put more pressure on the QB. They always seem to get the ball out just before they lay a finger on them. Most of the TOs over the years have been caused by the LBs causing fumbles or bad passes. That has been sadly lacking.

AndyWitmyer
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
We are finally starting to get some picks - but as others have noted, we should have had a hell of a lot more. Some of our guys on Defense must be infatuated with Mike Wallace - dropping very catchable balls is not going to cut it. I like what I've seen so far - we've gotten some turnovers, certainly more than at this time last year - and the recent pick 6 was nice - but it came at the start of the game.

A pick-6 is always a good thing, but the timing of one is even better. I don't think anyone would argue that our team has been literally torn to shreds - this has been the case on both sides of the ball. We've been playing without key players now for some time now. And while injuries are nothing new in NFL, since at least the middle of the previous season, I've been finding myself increasingly unsurprised by the sheer number of players who are falling to injury - as in, like, all the time. This has actually been a HUGE issue that's been consistently plaguing this team since as far back as the middle of last season. That's gotta change. Again, the D has been doing well enough - but, if we're going to have to rely on them to win games (which, at this point, we will) then they've gotta step up and make those major game changing plays not just at the start of the game...but also WHEN IT COUNTS. Even when Ben was starting (and playing magnificently), the Steelers D were not always able to seal the deal. Thus, our lousy record.

So, when Ben returns, to me...if this pattern of very close games should continue, it should no longer matter whether we happen to be in lead or trailing - if they want to win the rest of their games, this #1 defense of ours must step it up a notch or three, and prove that they, too, can win a game by either doing everything they can to guard our lead...or save the day with a pivotal play, if they must. They've gotta rise to occasion and in the process, regain some of their fire and steely determination.

Of course, having a competent special teams would also do wonders. Not spotting your opponent 7 points on a return, or losing the ground game on penalties would be a good place to start.

steelfury02
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
We are finally starting to get some picks - but as others have noted, we should have had a hell of a lot more. Some of our guys on Defense must be infatuated with Mike Wallace - dropping very catchable balls is not going to cut it. I like what I've seen so far - we've gotten some turnovers, certainly more than at this time last year - and the recent pick 6 was nice - but it came at the start of the game.

A pick-6 is always a good thing, but the timing of one is even better. I don't think anyone would argue that our team has been literally torn to shreds - this has been the case on both sides of the ball. We've been playing without key players now for some time now. And while injuries are nothing new in NFL, since at least the middle of the previous season, I've been finding myself increasingly unsurprised by the sheer number of players who are falling to injury - as in, like, all the time. This has actually been a HUGE issue that's been consistently plaguing this team since as far back as the middle of last season. That's gotta change. Again, the D has been doing well enough - but, if we're going to have to rely on them to win games (which, at this point, we will) then they've gotta step up and make those major game changing plays not just at the start of the game...but also WHEN IT COUNTS. Even when Ben was starting (and playing magnificently), the Steelers D were not always able to seal the deal. Thus, our lousy record.

So, when Ben returns, to me...if this pattern of very close games should continue, it should no longer matter whether we happen to be in lead or trailing - if they want to win the rest of their games, this #1 defense of ours must step it up a notch or three, and prove that they, too, can win a game by either doing everything they can to guard our lead...or save the day with a pivotal play, if they must. They've gotta rise to occasion and in the process, regain some of their fire and steely determination.

Of course, having a competent special teams would also do wonders. Not spotting your opponent 7 points on a return, or losing the ground game on penalties would be a good place to start.

Effing special teams and effing Mike Wallace = 10 free points. Flacco, Rice, all WRs get a failing grade and they still manage to win. So agitating.

Fire Arians
11-29-2012, 12:34 PM
2013 Unrestricted Free Agents

S Will Allen

LB Larry Foote

G Ramon Foster

NT Casey Hampton

TE David Johnson

G Doug Legursky

CB Keenan Lewis

RB Rashard Mendenhall

S Ryan Mundy

WR Mike Wallace

LS Greg Warren

2013 Restricted Free Agents

RB Jonathan Dwyer 6th

NT Steve McLendon UD

RB Isaac Redman UD

WR Emmanuel Sanders 3rd

LB Stevenson Sylvester 5th

Keenan Lewis, Emmanuel Sanders, Steve McLendon are must-signs in the offseason imo. Players in bold are who I think will be gone. Also have a feeling between Dwyer/Red one might be gone

fansince'76
11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Strength & conditioning - is non-existent and needs to be addressed this offseason. Some of it falls on Tomlin to run a meat-grinder of a camp, but all the injuries tells us they are not in game shape at all.

And when he does that and the entire team hits the wall in December due to being out of gas (see 2007), people will bitch and moan about that too.