PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro Activated, Gilbert to IR (?)

SteelersCanada
11-26-2012, 05:21 PM
From @Steelers:

"We have activated guard David DeCastro from the Reserve/Injured; Designated to Return List & promoted OL John Malecki to our active roster."

"@steelers add OG David DeCastro and OL John Malecki to active roster. OT Marcus Gilbert goes on IR. WR David Gilreath released." @missi_matthews

Uh, DeCastro is active and Gilbert goes to IR. Didn't see that one coming. Looks like Malecki is getting his shot.

More importantly, with Colon down, does this mean Foster shifts to LG and DeCastro is in at RG?

update: Roster moves confirmed ...

Steelers make roster moves

The Steelers have activated offensive guard David DeCastro from the Reserve/Injured; Designated to Return List and also promoted offensive lineman John Malecki to their active roster, the team announced today.

DeCastro was placed on the list after suffering a knee injury during Pittsburgh’s Week 3 preseason game at Buffalo. He was the Steelers’ first-round selection (24th overall) in this past year’s NFL Draft.

For the second time this season, the Steelers promoted Malecki to their active roster. Earlier this year prior to the team’s Week 7 game at Cincinnati, he was signed to Pittsburgh’s active roster. He was then released the following week and signed back to the practice squad. Malecki will wear No. 62.

The Steelers placed offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert on the Reserve/Injured List with an ankle injury. He started the first five games of the year before suffering the ankle injury against the Tennessee Titans (Week 5). He has not played since that matchup against the Titans.

The Steelers also released wide receiver David Gilreath, who was signed to the team’s active roster before the Week 10 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. He was active for the past three games but did not record a catch.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-make-roster-moves/d5118648-38aa-47c4-a457-d66af3c862b3?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
what would you rather have, gilbert on IR? or decastro and pouncey back on IR because we didn't IR the guy who is ready to blow their knees out at any moment lol

tburhans
11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
If Decastro is ready to play then i'd let him play and start beachum at tackle. If beachum is absolutely horrid then the other option would be to move foster to LG and Colon back to RT

The_Joker
11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Good moves, we need DeCastro right now.

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
really wondering how close decastro is to game time shape? will be be able to fill in this week if absolutely necessary?

SteelersCanada
11-26-2012, 06:05 PM
really wondering how close decastro is to game time shape? will be be able to fill in this week if absolutely necessary?

I have a feeling if he wasn't close or ready, he wouldn't have been activated. Let's hope he's game ready and will start on Sunday. Ben (or whoever the hell is taking snaps) needs him in there.

BKAnthem
11-26-2012, 07:21 PM
3 mos. after getting his knee shredded, he's back?

casteeler
11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Good moves, we need DeCastro right now.

Absolutely,100% agree

Hawaii 5-0
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
If Decastro is ready to play then i'd let him play and start beachum at tackle. If beachum is absolutely horrid then the other option would be to move foster to LG and Colon back to RT

Foster can also play RT:

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Foster

defence
11-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the steelers wouldn't put him in if they thought he wasn't ready. To be honest; there is a sense of urgency with all these injured guys. We got 5 games left. You play games to go to the playoffs and eventually win superbowls. Not giving guys time off to rest if they are cleared to play. He's healthy; get in and play; same goes for Ben. Time to get this ship back in order.:drink:

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Did anyone else think Beachum did okay at RT Sunday? He got burnt once or twice-- expected since he's a rookie with no playing time at all, but I thought he looked pretty serviceable, better than Mike Adams to be honest.

He did a much better job of keeping the pass rusher off his body and staying between the defender and the QB.

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I think this was a good roster move and with Ben's return, this might give us a shot at making a come back of some kind.

defence
11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Did anyone else think Beachum did okay at RT Sunday? He got burnt once or twice-- expected since he's a rookie with no playing time at all, but I thought he looked pretty serviceable, better than Mike Adams to be honest.

He did a much better job of keeping the pass rusher off his body and staying between the defender and the QB.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. he did look better than Adams

tarasovic2
11-26-2012, 08:07 PM
question: do we (you) trust the medical staff?

StainlessStill
11-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I didn't have a chance at the end to even LOOK at Beachum because he negated two big Steelers offensive plays to get back into the game with 2 holding penalties as soon as he was inserted in the game. The big one that came back was the 33 yard gain to Heath Miller over the middle. The first 8 snaps that Beachum played, 2 of those 8 snaps he was called for holding.

After that, I watched the game through the cracks of me fingers while holding back my regurgitation reflex's!

defence
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
I didn't have a chance at the end to even LOOK at Beachum because he negated two big Steelers offensive plays to get back into the game with 2 holding penalties as soon as he was inserted in the game. The big one that came back was the 33 yard gain to Heath Miller over the middle. The first 8 snaps that Beachum played, 2 of those 8 snaps he was called for holding.

After that, I watched the game through the cracks of me fingers while holding back my regurgitation reflex's!

Well you can check that 33 yard one and that was total chincy shit penalty you will find. He did alright.

NSMaster56
11-26-2012, 08:42 PM
question: do we (you) trust the medical staff?

Literally a million dollar question.

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 08:45 PM

not even close.

he ripped his knee to shreds like mendehall. if he plays now, he will struggle and 8 out of 10 people who come to messageboards and call raidio shows to vent will simply say he sucks and is a bust of a pick. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

and beachum knows the job well enough. he especially knows when to hold to prevent getting the qb blown up. while he can fill in, in a pinch, he still looks like he needs 10-15 lbs added to that frame to be a starting RT on our team.

teegre
11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Foster can also play RT:

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Foster

^^That^^

teegre
11-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Q: Maybe I missed it, but what happened to Adams? Is he out? For how long?

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Q: Maybe I missed it, but what happened to Adams? Is he out? For how long?

he got his leg rolled up on and hurt an ankle. it looked bad, but dont think its as bad as it looked.

rub some dirt on it and tape it up!

teegre
11-27-2012, 12:46 AM
he got his leg rolled up on and hurt an ankle. it looked bad, but dont think its as bad as it looked.

rub some dirt on it and tape it up!

Thanks.

I saw him go down, but had not heard what had "actually" happened ("medically" happened). Then, it sounded like, in this thread, that he was going to be out for a while... and I thought the worst: knee. An ankle isn't nearly as bad (although, those can linger).

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 12:52 AM
dont quote me though, i havent ready anything (media) about this turd of a game other than what i read here at SF.

Fire Arians
11-27-2012, 01:00 AM
not even close.

he ripped his knee to shreds like mendehall. if he plays now, he will struggle and 8 out of 10 people who come to messageboards and call raidio shows to vent will simply say he sucks and is a bust of a pick. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

and beachum knows the job well enough. he especially knows when to hold to prevent getting the qb blown up. while he can fill in, in a pinch, he still looks like he needs 10-15 lbs added to that frame to be a starting RT on our team.

I was thinking somewhere along the same lines, but didn't want to seem like a downer. he's coming off a major injury + lack of NFL experience = he will not likely do well right away