PDA

View Full Version : Playoff probabilities

rd31669
11-26-2012, 06:21 PM
All the negative talk needs to be balanced with the reality that we are currently in the playoffs and control our own destiny and are getting our franchise qb back. Would love to hear some people play out scenarios for these final 5 games and who you expect to see in January ....

I think the following will play out backed by some Vegas probability

Ravens wk 13. L

San Diego wk 14 W. by then I think we are in must win mode and have a healthy D and Ben fully back. I think we crush the Chargers at home

Dallas wk 15. W. our D is too much for a weak Dallas team

Cincy wk 16. W. at home with a playoff feel I think we pull out a classic and fan confidence is up after this W

Clev wk 17. No way no how we lose 2 to the lowly browns

10-6 will get us a 5 seed and probably see New England or Denver on the road. Tough games but we can hang with either team.

Smells like 2005 to me .....

RVD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
At this point, I give the Steelers a slim chance to get into the playoffs. Even when some of our injured players get back on the field, this team would still be a hot mess. The lack of stability...the lack of conditioning...the lack of consistent play...I'm not saying its impossible, but I'm just saying...I'm not going to bet my 401k on the chance that the this might snatch a 6th seed opportunity. Still...stranger things have happened!

And even if this season ends up being a failure...I'll always love the Steelers...records and playoffs be damned!

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
we 'should' beat the browns the 2nd time, and we 'should' beat the cowboys and bengals, and we 'should' beat san diego.

we also 'should' have beat the titans, raiders, and browns the 1st time. big ben 'should' have driven down the field and won the game vs denver instead of throwing a pick 6. our special teams 'should' have not given up a punt return against the ravens

none of the games on the schedule should be marked as a W yet, 1 week at a time, we'll worry about playoffs if/when they're there. With that said, we also can't mark any game as an L yet. We still have to play the game on sunday vs the ravens

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
A quasi-repeat of 2005 would be awesome. Extraordinarily unlikely, but awesome nonetheless. The Steelers were the first 6th seed team to go all the way...and only one other team has managed to pull off the same feat. I would be very, very impressed if the Steelers somehow managed to pull that off again (for Steelers fans, that year may very well have been a once-in-a-generation anomaly) - but I guess if any team could do it again, it may as well be the Steelers!

StainlessStill
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
To be fair, Andy, I don't think the "stranger things have happened" statement needs to be said with our team. We WILL have Ben back eventually, along with Brown and Troy. We are beat to death with injuries, one being our entire offensive line and one being our elite, franchise QB, but yet, only lost the past two NORTH games by a grand total of 9 points. That's separated by one LOUSY possession in each game!

Buffalo, N.Y.J and Miami fans should be saying "stranger things have happened" not us.

That said, we can probably only afford to lose one as long as being "comfortable" goes, 2 at the MOST with a little panic involved. I see 9 or 10 wins getting us in.

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
we 'should' beat the browns the 2nd time, and we 'should' beat the cowboys and bengals, and we 'should' beat san diego.

we also 'should' have beat the titans, raiders, and browns the 1st time.

Someone posted some sort of statistical record showing that since 2000, this team fails to make it to the playoffs like what...once every three years? I'm too lazy to look up the pattern, but it seems to work like clockwork. If the pattern holds, this year will end up will see a Steelers team sitting at home during the playoffs. Coincidence or not - It's certainly looking like that's going to be the case!

cubanstogie
11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I would bet Steelers get a wild card. Indy has to face Houston twice. I say they lose both. They will beat KC, probabley Tennessee and I see them losing to Detroit this week. I think at worst we go 3-2 and sneak in. Indy quite possibly could lose in Arrowhead as well.

AndyWitmyer
11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
To be fair, Andy, I don't think the "stranger things have happened" statement needs to be said with our team. We WILL have Ben back eventually, along with Brown and Troy. We are beat to death with injuries, one being our entire offensive line and one being our elite, franchise QB, but yet, only lost the past two NORTH games by a grand total of 9 points. That's separated by one LOUSY possession in each game!

Buffalo, N.Y.J and Miami fans should be saying "stranger things have happened" not us.

That said, we can probably only afford to lose one as long as being "comfortable" goes, 2 at the MOST with a little panic involved. I see 9 or 10 wins getting us in.

In that context, yeah - and I agree. But I have this annoying tendency of being something of a cold-hearted realist. You're right, though...with Ben, Brown and Troy back, we'll certainly be in a better spot. But, the way this season's going...I kinda have to wonder who's going to be injured next? And even with those three back, there's no guarantee that the chemistry will pick up where it left off prior to Ben's absence (I felt that it was starting to click). Trust me, though - I want to believe! :tt:

cubanstogie
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Just lookedd at Cincy's schedule. That game is basically a playoff game. They could easily go 4-1, they play Baltimore in week 17 and Rattirds prolly won't have anything to play for.

The_Joker
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
We need to win out here, above poster is right, Cincy has an EASY path, we do not. I almost guarentee we will be fighting for our spot against Cincy.

BlaZeQuietly
11-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Idk about you guys but the game winning drive in the 2008-2009 superbowl will forever be my favorite 2 minutes in sports history!

Terminator
11-27-2012, 01:10 AM
I would be cautious about facing Indy in the playoffs. They are riding the "Chuckstrong" wave and Bruce Arians would probably sacrifice his children to beat the Steelers.

The_Joker
11-27-2012, 03:50 AM
I would be cautious about facing Indy in the playoffs. They are riding the "Chuckstrong" wave and Bruce Arians would probably sacrifice his children to beat the Steelers.

:rofl:

Lokki
11-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Beware a QB scorned though. When Ben sees the new love affair between Arians and Luck, he will explode, to the tune of 450 yards passing with 5 TDs, 0 INT. It would be more, but Wallace will have dropped a few deep passes or not gotten his feet down in the end zone.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 07:34 AM
At this point, I give the Steelers a slim chance to get into the playoffs. Even when some of our injured players get back on the field, this team would still be a hot mess. The lack of stability...the lack of conditioning...the lack of consistent play...I'm not saying its impossible, but I'm just saying...I'm not going to bet my 401k on the chance that the this might snatch a 6th seed opportunity. Still...stranger things have happened!

And even if this season ends up being a failure...I'll always love the Steelers...records and playoffs be damned!

If the Steelers go 3-2 and beat Cincy in the process, it will be difficult to miss the playoffs. Are you saying they can't even go 3-2 with Ben back?

AB is coming back, too, so is Troy eventually.

Weather the storm.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Just lookedd at Cincy's schedule. That game is basically a playoff game. They could easily go 4-1, they play Baltimore in week 17 and Rattirds prolly won't have anything to play for.

And everything to lie down for if it means keeping the Steelers out of the playoffs.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Someone posted some sort of statistical record showing that since 2000, this team fails to make it to the playoffs like what...once every three years? I'm too lazy to look up the pattern, but it seems to work like clockwork. If the pattern holds, this year will end up will see a Steelers team sitting at home during the playoffs. Coincidence or not - It's certainly looking like that's going to be the case!

2001, 2002 playoffs, 2003 out. 2004, 2005 playoffs, 2006 out. 2007, 2008 playoffs, 2009 out. 2010, 2011 playoffs,

2012 ?

Not a big believer in trends like this when there is so much turnover. Hampton is the only Steeler left from 2001.

teegre
11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
If the Steelers go 3-2 and beat Cincy in the process, it will be difficult to miss the playoffs. Are you saying they can't even go 3-2 with Ben back?

AB is coming back, too, so is Troy eventually.

Weather the storm.

^^That^^

torpedoshell31
11-27-2012, 12:37 PM
There are 2 Wild Card spots with 3 teams playing for them. Indy has a game up on us and the Bengals so they are probably going to get the 5th seed. That means the 6th and final spot will probably come down to who wins between us and the Bengals in week 16.

Ravens1
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
All the negative talk needs to be balanced with the reality that we are currently in the playoffs and control our own destiny and are getting our franchise qb back. Would love to hear some people play out scenarios for these final 5 games and who you expect to see in January ....

I think the following will play out backed by some Vegas probability

Ravens wk 13. L

San Diego wk 14 W. by then I think we are in must win mode and have a healthy D and Ben fully back. I think we crush the Chargers at home

Dallas wk 15. W. our D is too much for a weak Dallas team

Cincy wk 16. W. at home with a playoff feel I think we pull out a classic and fan confidence is up after this W

Clev wk 17. No way no how we lose 2 to the lowly browns

10-6 will get us a 5 seed and probably see New England or Denver on the road. Tough games but we can hang with either team.

Smells like 2005 to me .....

RVD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crush the Chargers at home? You almost go beat by KC at home! More realistic is...

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns
Loss, Loss, Loss, Loss, Loss = 6 and 10 season. Skewered and Fried.

Rotorhead
11-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Indy still has 2 games vs Houston who is playing for the 1 seed so it is all up in the air. Hey Ravens fan, lets see how many game your team wins without Flacco. Or for that matter how many games most teams win without their starter at QB. I wouldnt be all talking all that smack with the offensive output from our last game, or the fact the refs gave Rice a first for that game on sunday (althought it was a great effort by Rice). Be happy your team has had some luck this season.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Crush the Chargers at home? You almost go beat by KC at home! More realistic is...

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

don't you have some purple camo pants to try on or something? You truly are obnoxious.

Fire Arians
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

and you guys almost lost to us with byron leftwich at QB :blah:

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
come back here when Flacco, Rice, Boldin are all out, on top of having Ed Reed out, against us, twice in three weeks - then we'll see if you can relate

Otherwise, it's like gloating for beating up a paraplegic . Congrats to your mid-season swagger:thumbsup:

The_Joker
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/factor/wins/results/321202008~1~321202020~1~321202013~2~321202033~1~32 1209002~1~321209028~1~321210017~1~321216003~2~3212 16018~1~321216033~1~321216022~1~321216017~1~321217 010~2~321223006~1~321223023~1~321223029~2~32122302 0~1~321230002~2~321230004~2~321230011~1~321230028~ 1~321223033~1

My playoffs machine

JeromeBetties63
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM

we also 'should' have beat the titans, raiders, and browns the 1st time. big ben 'should' have driven down the field and won the game vs denver instead of throwing a pick 6. our special teams 'should' have not given up a punt return against the ravens

none of the games on the schedule should be marked as a W yet, 1 week at a time, we'll worry about playoffs if/when they're there. With that said, we also can't mark any game as an L yet. We still have to play the game on sunday vs the ravens

It's a conversation on a forum.... and ya, we should win those games. I think the 10-6 scenario is entirely reasonable and I don't think too many teams would welcome a game with a healthy, hot Steelers squad.

JeromeBetties63
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

More realistic is I smell your fear. If the Steelers get healthy and go on a run and come into M&T in the play-offs Ravens fans will be crapping their pants.

steeltheone
11-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Be realistic...we have beat 1 playoff team all year...

steelfury02
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

oh, its realistic, oh - OH YEA
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090128174247/familyguy/images/8/8b/Koolaid.jpg

JeromeBetties63
12-01-2012, 10:59 PM
oh, its realistic, oh - OH YEA
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090128174247/familyguy/images/8/8b/Koolaid.jpg

Sweet!

SteelersCanada
12-01-2012, 11:24 PM

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

Why? Why are you even on here?

See, I thought it was just to talk shit. But, it's more than that. I think you're scared. I think you saw how the Ravens play on the road, and if they have to go against a team like New England in the playoffs, you're fucked three ways from Sunday. I think you're trying to convince yourself that the Ravens are a good team and deserve to be 9-2, despite almost losing to Dallas, Kansas City and San Diego. Talk all the shit you want about us losing to Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland, but you lost to Philadelphia - another 3 - 8 team.

You barely squeaked by a Steelers team without Polamalu, Brown and Byron Leftwich by three points. Your "dominant" play makers on defense were AWOL all night and Flacco was, well, Flacco.

I wouldn't put my faith in the kid from Delaware if I were you. I mean, he hasn't won dick all in the playoffs in terms of meaningful games, let alone beating the Steelers in the playoffs - something he'll never accomplish. It doesn't matter if we lose tomorrow, because when we see you in the playoffs, we're going to rip the fucking roof off M&T with a healthy Ben - that is, unless Brady gets the pleasure of doing it first. I hope not, because I'd love to see Johnny's face as his team doesn't do anything in the playoffs again.

So, talk your shit. We don't have to - we know we're the better team and we're going to show you why tomorrow.

aa14
12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Why? Why are you even on here?

See, I thought it was just to talk shit. But, it's more than that. I think you're scared. I think you saw how the Ravens play on the road, and if they have to go against a team like New England in the playoffs, you're fucked three ways from Sunday. I think you're trying to convince yourself that the Ravens are a good team and deserve to be 9-2, despite almost losing to Dallas, Kansas City and San Diego. Talk all the shit you want about us losing to Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland, but you lost to Philadelphia - another 3 - 8 team.

You barely squeaked by a Steelers team without Polamalu, Brown and Byron Leftwich by three points. Your "dominant" play makers on defense were AWOL all night and Flacco was, well, Flacco.

I wouldn't put my faith in the kid from Delaware if I were you. I mean, he hasn't won dick all in the playoffs in terms of meaningful games, let alone beating the Steelers in the playoffs - something he'll never accomplish. It doesn't matter if we lose tomorrow, because when we see you in the playoffs, we're going to rip the fucking roof off M&T with a healthy Ben - that is, unless Brady gets the pleasure of doing it first. I hope not, because I'd love to see Johnny's face as his team doesn't do anything in the playoffs again.

So, talk your shit. We don't have to - we know we're the better team and we're going to show you why tomorrow.

Talking smack about someone's record because they played close games is ridiculous. Especially when your team has an inferior record. Pre-empting rebuttal by pointing out losses to horrible teams doesn't exude much confidence. We're 9-2. Deal with it.

cubanstogie
12-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Talking smack about someone's record because they played close games is ridiculous. Especially when your team has an inferior record. Pre-empting rebuttal by pointing out losses to horrible teams doesn't exude much confidence. We're 9-2. Deal with it.

actually its pretty relevant. When you get to playoffs your record is erased. To think you are going to convert a 4th and 26 to win a game in playoffs is delusional. Then again when your bar is set at winning the division you guys don't even need to worry about the playoffs. Steelers bar is always set higher than the turds.

aa14
12-02-2012, 02:23 AM
To think you are going to convert a 4th and 26 to win a game in playoffs is delusional. Then again when your bar is set at winning the division you guys don't even need to worry about the playoffs. Steelers bar is always set higher than the turds.

I have absolutely no idea what you're babbling about. 4th and 26? Setting the bar at a division crown? Who said that?

The_Joker
12-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I have absolutely no idea what you're babbling about. 4th and 26? Setting the bar at a division crown? Who said that?

Let me re-iterate.

He says we will whip your asses sooner or later.

Peace.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-02-2012, 09:29 AM

Ravens
Chargers
Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

The definition of a loser is someone who goes on another team's forum to talk shit. And you have 33 posts here, that is pathetic. I'm not saying my life is unbelievably busy or anything, but whatever time you took out of yours to post here 33 times would have been much better spent doing anything else. You clowns are lucky you didn't get beat by Byron freaking Leftwich and had the tables been turned and Flacco was out vs. a healthy Ben y'all would have been smoked out of the building.

As for the original topic of this thread, we're still in OK shape, win or lose today (and in all likelihood, barring some huge points from defense/special teams, this may be an L) we have 4 games that we will be favored in down the stretch. All can be W's if Ben comes back, and we can probably afford one loss, even. Dec. 23rd against Cincy is shaping up to be bigger than any of us could have imagined.

aa14
12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
And you have 33 posts here, that is pathetic. I'm not saying my life is unbelievably busy or anything, but whatever time you took out of yours to post here 33 times would have been much better spent doing anything else.

This easily has to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read. You're calling out posters for having a two digit post count? I've seen guys take gruff from people for having thousands of posts... but thirty-three? Really?

Anyways, I still think you guys make the playoffs after we beat you today. I think you'll then receive an early and hasty exit from Manning & Co.

RichardCullinanForever
12-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it's funny: If Ben didn't get hurt, I think there's a very good chance we beat both the Ravens and the Browns. We'd be sitting at 8-3, with the division in the bag with a win today. And perhaps even a first round bye.

But in reality, our QB got hurt and now we're a 6-5 team, perhaps a 6-6 team after today.

Now, I wouldn't call myself overly confident, but I do know what this team is capable of. We hung in there against the Broncos (our offense looked really flat that game - probably because it was Todd's first game). We handedly beat the Giants. We would have (woulda coulda shoulda) beaten the Ravens with a healthy Ben.

That being said, I also know how bad this team can play. Take the Tenn game and the Oakland game for example. We have a history of playing down to our competition. Even the Broncos game last year showed our weakness and stubbornness as a team (even though we were injured).

I am saying that this group of guys is certainly capable of running the table once we get Ben back, sneaking into the playoffs as a 5/6th seed, and making it all the way to 47. But just because we're capable doesn't mean it's going to happen. I have hope, but I also have some concern. Enough of this rant. Go Steelers.

RichardCullinanForever
12-02-2012, 02:30 PM

We were 2-4 against playoff teams in the 2005 regular season. Just saying.

austinfrench76
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
To answer the thread question -JUST GOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go Steelers, here we go!!

SteelersCanada
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM

You have no idea how much I want you to come back and comment in this thread. Oh dear Jesus, it would make all of our days' if you came back and admitted you were wrong - but I don't see that happening.

Hawaii 5-0
12-02-2012, 07:53 PM
We're 9-2. Deal with it.

make that 9-3. :sign02:

JWashington
12-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Did someone really say our defense was too weak for Dallas??? I totally disagree with that. Harrison is getting back to being the beast he's proven to be in the past. Lewis is impressing me more and more. Troy's back. It's Romo who should be worried, not our d. But, we'll see soon enough. I think they've hit their stride.