PDA

View Full Version : One trick pony....

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
...at it again.

I am tired of Mike Wallace. I have been trying to make all the standard fan mental excuses and rationalizing keeping him around, but I cannot any longer.

Folks keep saying we need him, 'he opens things up for Antonio Brown'. Sorry, but I think it is the exact opposite.

In the last two weeks without Brown, I have seen ZILCH from Wallace. Opposing defenses no longer fear him in the deep passing game-- they know that if the ball is not right on his hands, he will just watch it hit the ground or let it get intercepted. There is no second effort from him at all.

He cannot run an intermediate route or catch the ball to save his life. Against the Bengals, he dropped 4 very catchable balls, and left 14 points on the field by himself. Yesterday, he watched a very catchable ball bounce off his hands right into the waiting hands of a Browns defender.

I understand the frustrations of being a WR when a backup QB is playing. But elite players will gladly sacfrifice their highlight reel for a week to make the needed plays to help their team get the win (aka Hines Ward/Antonio Brown), while guys like Mike Wallace will only make a lackluster, Randy Moss-like, half-hearted effort to go after the less than perfectly thrown passes.

As a WR, if it hits your hands-- YOU SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! No excuses.

He is hurting this offense in much the same way as Randy Moss hurts teams now. All those drops and half-azzed efforts could have been big plays or TDs if the ball were given to other players with more desire. Guys like Wallace and Randy Moss take touches away from players who will get us the win.

I am NOT blaming the entire loss on him (the 6 fumbles by RBs deserves a thread of its own), but a sure share of the losses this season can be blamed on Wallace.

If he converts even a couple of those stupid drops into catches, we win at least two more games this year that we lost close.

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
sanders has been outplaying wallace, he seems to be the only WR other than brown who is busting his ass and stepping up to the challenge.

let him walk, sanders and brown are the future of the steeler WR corps

wallace is more talented than brown & sanders put together, but the difference is those two are fighters with a great work ethic. I'll take that any day over talent that's not willing to put in the work. if we pay wallace, mark my words, this team will go south. nothing sends a worse message to the team than paying someone who half asses his shit, that just tells everyone else it's ok to do the same.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Right now, we are seeing who the most valuable players are on the offensive side of the ball: Big Ben and Antonio Brown. Mike Wallace, is NOT it.

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Right now, we are seeing who the most valuable players are on the offensive side of the ball: Big Ben and Antonio Brown. Mike Wallace, is NOT it.

sanders I believe will start taking on a bigger role in this offense. It's only a matter of time before todd haley blows up at wallace for his lack of effort

Edman
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Manny Sanders has been outplaying Wallace. He's already become a much well-rounded player. Sanders worked hard coming back from his setbacks and has earned a new contract and a spot alongside Brown for years to come.

Wallace, along with Mendenhall, can take a hike this offseason. All the talent in the world isn't worth stomaching lackluster effort.

cubanstogie
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Manny Sanders has been outplaying Wallace. He's already become a much well-rounded player. Sanders worked hard coming back from his setbacks and has earned a new contract and a spot alongside Brown for years to come.

Wallace, along with Mendenhall, can take a hike this offseason.

Burress will probably have more receptions against the Ravens than Wallace. I am surprised he is not in the Tomlin dog house. The only thing he can do is run a post pattern. Over the middle, forget it. Doen't like contact.

zcoop
11-26-2012, 06:52 PM
He has to have to the ball delivered to him to be effective. Neither Lefty nor Batch can do it. Even with Ben in this Dink and Dunk system its difficult. Y'all maybe right though, it may be time to part with him and let him go to a system that he can use his talent, if it can't be used in the burgh.

Let him go.

ZoneBlitzer
11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
sanders has been outplaying wallace, he seems to be the only WR other than brown who is busting his ass and stepping up to the challenge.

let him walk, sanders and brown are the future of the steeler WR corps

wallace is more talented than brown & sanders put together, but the difference is those two are fighters with a great work ethic. I'll take that any day over talent that's not willing to put in the work. if we pay wallace, mark my words, this team will go south. nothing sends a worse message to the team than paying someone who half asses his shit, that just tells everyone else it's ok to do the same.

Sorry got to disagree. Brown is way more talented than Wallace. He's got better hands and is a beautiful open field runner. Wallace has pure straight away speed but he's not as elusive a runner as Brown.

Fire Arians
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry got to disagree. Brown is way more talented than Wallace. He's got better hands and is a beautiful open field runner. Wallace has pure straight away speed but he's not as elusive a runner as Brown.

May be debatable, but hands / route running I put under the skill category as opposed to talent. Then again, quickness is different than speed and Brown definitely has the edge in that.

tony hipchest
11-26-2012, 07:13 PM
wallace is more talented than brown & sanders put together, but the difference is those two are fighters with a great work ethic. I'll take that any day over talent that's not willing to put in the work. if we pay wallace, mark my words, this team will go south. nothing sends a worse message to the team than paying someone who half asses his shit, that just tells everyone else it's ok to do the same.brown and sanders were also more pro-ready when they entered the NFL. they both combined for 600+ college receptions.

thats almost unheard of...

The_Joker
11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Wallace and Mendenhall are both assholes who need to GO. Wish I had another jersey besides Wallace, oh how he fooled me....

Edman
11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
He has to have to the ball delivered to him to be effective. Neither Lefty nor Batch can do it. Even with Ben in this Dink and Dunk system its difficult. Y'all maybe right though, it may be time to part with him and let him go to a system that he can use his talent, if it can't be used in the burgh.

Let him go.

Wallace has been targeted several times this season and has dropped the ball plenty.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I think the jury should still be out with Mendenhall. It waxs his first game back after a LONG downtime, have to expect some rust. It isn't like he was the only RB who couldn't hang on to the ball, so no need to single him out.

I keep in mind that he has had some descent years running the ball for us, even in Arians' nuetered scheme. So far, none of the current fan favorites like Dwyer or Redman has shown any ability to be THE GUY for 300+ carries per season.

zcoop
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Wallace has been targeted several times this season and has dropped the ball plenty.

Yes, he's dropped a few. We've also had fumbles and ints by others too. look, I'm not here to defend the guy but I will be objective in my critique of him and any other player who makes errors.

StainlessStill
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Overreacting. I don't you think you give up on both of these guys. They have the ability to churn it upfield at anytime and give you the splash play. Did people already forget about Wallace's TD in N.Y that single handily turned around our season (at the time) ? What about Mendenhall's T.D against Philly earlier in the season?

For the record, I ALWAYS mentioned Wallace as being SOFT AS A TISSUE. Antonio Brown, on that play in which Wallace didn't get his feet inbounds against Balty, would of climbed the defenders back, caught the ball, fucked the dudes mother and STILL got both feet in bounds. That's the difference between the 2. AB is a scrappy son of a bitch. Wallace is a speed demon who doesn't like contact.

Terminator
11-26-2012, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0Yioo3WlM&list=FLXxYyVGEBOEmTERXdj5iHeQ&index=2&feature=plpp_video

What happened to the Mike Wallace from 2010. I want that guy back.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
So where does #17 go?

Contender or bottom feeder with $$$ to burn?

Don't sleep on Danny Snyder breaking the bank to get RGIII a deep threat - Wallace is your protype Snyder FA signing

steelbelieve
11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Burress will probably have more receptions against the Ravens than Wallace. I am surprised he is not in the Tomlin dog house. The only thing he can do is run a post pattern. Over the middle, forget it. Doen't like contact.

Yeah, if professional football were a track meet, he'd be really awesome. Unfortunately, you have to play football, which means adjusting to the ball that's rarely will be thrown perfectly that far down the field. He's done that once this year. once.

teegre
11-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Overreacting. I don't you think you give up on both of these guys. They have the ability to churn it upfield at anytime and give you the splash play. Did people already forget about Wallace's TD in N.Y that single handily turned around our season (at the time) ? What about Mendenhall's T.D against Philly earlier in the season?

For the record, I ALWAYS mentioned Wallace as being SOFT AS A TISSUE. Antonio Brown, on that play in which Wallace didn't get his feet inbounds against Balty, would of climbed the defenders back, caught the ball, fucked the dudes mother and STILL got both feet in bounds. That's the difference between the 2. AB is a scrappy son of a bitch. Wallace is a speed demon who doesn't like contact.

You had me at "fucked the dude's mother." :applaudit:

Rowland2110
11-27-2012, 03:19 AM
I will be glad to see him leave and i will laugh at the puny contract he is going to get wherever he goes next season.

The_Joker
11-27-2012, 03:52 AM
So where does #17 go?

Contender or bottom feeder with $$$ to burn?

Don't sleep on Danny Snyder breaking the bank to get RGIII a deep threat - Wallace is your protype Snyder FA signing

Sure, I'll just give my Wallace jersey to my dad ('Skins fan)

Lokki
11-27-2012, 06:38 AM

Yup, that's what I love about AB. The dude fights for it on every single play. He didn't make contract demands publicly. They just silently rewarded him for doing his job and doing it well.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Yup, that's what I love about AB. The dude fights for it on every single play. He didn't make contract demands publicly. They just silently rewarded him for doing his job and doing it well.

yup - now let's talk about that annoying little first down signal :chuckle: - AB is a Steeler through and through - not Wallace. Wallace is more along the lines of Miles Austin. A name without much to go along with it.

Lokki
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
yup - now let's talk about that annoying little first down signal :chuckle: - AB is a Steeler through and through - not Wallace. Wallace is more along the lines of Miles Austin. A name without much to go along with it.

He can do that first down signal all he wants in my opinion. At least he is catching the ball and moving the chains, which is more than I can say about #17. It's not near as flashy or annoying as Ocho Cinco, or T.O.'s celebrations. At least he hasn't tossed the ball to the sideline in celebration like Brandon Marshall did with the Dolphins and got a 15 yard penalty out of it, which negated the first down.

As for the Miles Austin comparison, I agree to an extent. I think Miles makes more effort to catch the ball though. It's a shame. I loved Wallace until the 2nd half of last year. It's like he went into Randy Moss mode after that.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
He can do that first down signal all he wants in my opinion. At least he is catching the ball and moving the chains, which is more than I can say about #17. It's not near as flashy or annoying as Ocho Cinco, or T.O.'s celebrations. At least he hasn't tossed the ball to the sideline in celebration like Brandon Marshall did with the Dolphins and got a 15 yard penalty out of it, which negated the first down.

As for the Miles Austin comparison, I agree to an extent. I think Miles makes more effort to catch the ball though. It's a shame. I loved Wallace until the 2nd half of last year. It's like he went into Randy Moss mode after that.

I know what you mean - still can't help but see flashbacks of Holmes annoying 1st down celebration though

MasterOfPuppets
11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Wallace and Mendenhall are both assholes who need to GO. Wish I had another jersey besides Wallace, oh how he fooled me....
http://members.modernvespa.net/t_fletcher/uploads/sucka_899.jpg

LVSteelersfan
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Wallace can go bye bye. He is not worth a franchise tag the way he is playing. Mendenhall I am pretty ambivalent about. I really don't like him much but the alternatives are not full time RBs. And they seem to get hurt a lot. But that is the RB position in general. They don't have the p u $ $ y wide receiver rules for RBs. They have to play like men.

austinfrench76
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Wallace IS a No Trick pony right now. It just looks like he's not even trying, that's what's frustrating!

desertsteel
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
The only flaw with your assessment is comparing Wallace to Randy Moss. Wallace couldn't hold Moss' jockstrap. Moss is a first ballot HOFer and Wallace is a wannabe.

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Ed Bouchette @ ‏EdBouchette:

A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened.

Brown at other WR

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/273464727093514241

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Ed Bouchette @ ‏EdBouchette:

A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened.

Brown at other WR

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/273464727093514241

I say "finally." Put Plax in there for all I care - Wallace's contributions to this team are minimal at best.

"But you wouldn't derp de do de poo be sayin de dat if he was scorin da toochdowns and catchin bombz fer sexes in da end zonetimes."

Lokki
11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
The only flaw with your assessment is comparing Wallace to Randy Moss. Wallace couldn't hold Moss' jockstrap. Moss is a first ballot HOFer and Wallace is a wannabe.

Oh I agree. I just meant in terms of running routes like he doesn't give a crap. Moss loves his Go Route and that's it. Wallace plays like that as well, but he doesn't have Moss talent.

nj1923steelgirl
11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Wallace was good once.....now he sucks.....dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out......he can go to another team next year......

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Starkey: Wallace a backup? Not really

By Joe Starkey

Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Herman Melville created a wonderful literary character named Bartleby the Scrivener, an office clerk who had a stock answer for every question — even when his boss asked him to complete an assignment.

“I’d prefer not to,” Bartleby would say.

Mike Wallace on Wednesday sounded a lot like ol’ Bartleby. In fact, the allegedly demoted wide receiver must have set the NFL record for Answers Begun With The Same Phrase, as reporters circled his locker to ask about his “demotion.”

Wallace’s stock answer wasn’t “I’d prefer not to” — though some fans will tell you that would fit him perfectly — but rather, “Not really.”

Examples:

• Is it strange not knowing if he’ll play his usual role Sunday, in the wake of Mike Tomlin listing him as “co-starter” with Emmanuel Sanders, instead of as starter?

“Not really,” Wallace said. “You have to adjust. That’s life.”

• Did any coach talk to him about the depth-chart adjustment?

“Not really.”

• Does he have a feeling of “I’ll show you?”

“Not really. I don’t have to show nobody nothing. … You can ask any one of my teammates: I practice hard every single day.”

• When fans say he’s not trying, does it make him angry?

“Not really. Nobody outside this locker room really matters.”

Now, before anyone turns that last statement into, “He just insulted the people who pay his salary,” let me say this: not really. Wallace, in context, simply was saying that no one outside the locker room could possibly know whether he is working hard enough.

His teammates insist he is.

“Mike always shows up to work,” said veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery. “He never complains. He’s prepared.”

Wallace’s in-game effort has been unfairly questioned. Those criticizing him for failing to break up an interception on a deep ball in Cleveland, for example, have lost their minds.

Production is another matter. Tomlin was right Tuesday when he said Wallace had not been “producing in the manner in which he’d like to and we’d like him to.”

Still, I’ll be stunned if the coach’s message extends beyond perhaps keeping Wallace on the sideline for the first snap in Baltimore. Anything more would be a classic case of Tomlin cutting off his nose to spite his face, and he did enough of that last week trying to play tough guy with his butter-fingered running backs.

Messages are fine. Winning is paramount for a 6-5 team very much in danger of missing the playoffs.

The Steelers need Wallace at his very best. For whatever reason, he hasn’t been consistently productive since the middle of the last season. You see bursts of brilliance — the 51-yard sprint against the Giants; the fabulous touchdown catch against the Chiefs — mixed with long stretches of invisibility.

Or, worse, negative plays. Like the dropped 52-yard pass in the playoff game at Denver, the momentum-crushing fumble two weeks ago against the Ravens and the inability to come down with an end-zone fade in the same game.

Wallace hasn’t been good enough. Nobody could dispute that. Not even him, though he left space to read between the lines when asked why his production has fallen.

“A lot of reasons,” he said. “Not that I want to get into this or that.”

Clearly, Wallace wants more deep targets. That’s his game, and it’s missing. He had 22 catches of 40-plus yards his first three seasons. He has two this season. I’m also quite certain he saw what we all saw last weekend: Charlie Batch couldn’t get him the ball down the field.

None of which excuses Wallace failing to capitalize on his few recent opportunities. He was as big a reason as any for the loss to Baltimore.

Any play in particular he feels he should have made in the past two games?

“Not really,” Wallace said. “Any one I didn’t make.”

Storylines abounded Wednesday: Antonio Brown and Troy Polamalu were full participants at practice; Ben Roethlisberger was a limited participant; and Maurkice Pouncey was practicing at left guard.

Wallace is a big story, too. His season hasn’t gone the way he envisioned, for sure, but there is plenty of time to salvage it — and if anybody asks whether the Steelers are a viable Super Bowl contender without the old Mike Wallace, well, you know the answer.

It ends with really.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/3032993-74/wallace-really-mike-game-sblt-bartleby-hasn-locker-nobody-receiver#ixzz2DedvDPLb