PDA

View Full Version : Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Terminator
11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Ben throws; Batch still to start
Posted by Teresa Varley on November 27, 2012 – 12:20 pm

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was able to deliver some good news on the injury front this week, with some players who have been battling injuries working their way back to playing.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball on Monday and Tomlin said he “Will take steps towards playing this week. We’ll leave the door open.” In addition Byron Leftwich threw some on Monday, but Tomlin made it clear that Charlie Batch is the starting quarterback at this point for Sunday’s game against the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

“Right now Charlie Batch is our quarterback,” said Tomlin. “We are working offensively to put together a plan to complement his strengths. That is our plan until otherwise. These guys will participate in some form or fashion. We’ll let that participation or the result of the participation guide us in terms of their availability as we push to the later part of the week and see where those guys are a little later in the week. As we sit here today we are doing so with Charlie Batch being our quarterback.”

Receiver Antonio Brown is going to practice and at this point is scheduled to play against the Ravens. In addition, safety Troy Polamalu is expected to practice this week and could play on Sunday. Tackle Willie Colon, who missed the Browns game, is improving and has a “strong chance” of playing.

Tackle Mike Adams has been ruled out for Sunday with an ankle injury, and will be replaced by fellow rookie Kelvin Beachum.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/27/ben-throws-batch-still-to-start/

Fire Arians
11-27-2012, 12:27 PM
brown back in the lineup is awesome news.

wasn't overly optimistic on ben starting this week, but I'm glad they are being careful with his health. 6-6 is ok as long as #7 is healthy in a week or 2

Terminator
11-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I am mostly pissed about Polamalu. I wish they would just come out and say WTF is wrong with him and why he is still incapable of dressing.

Terminator
11-27-2012, 12:30 PM
OK just got this blurb:

INJURY UPDATE: Ben threw yesterday, will continue to do so and we will see how he progresses. T Mike Adams is OUT (Ankle) will be replaced by Kelvin Beachum. Cotchery ran yesterday and has a chance to return. Willie Colon's knee looks good and he should play pending any setbacks. Byron Leftwich threw yesterday and he is working his way back into play. LaMarr Woodley is Doubtful (ankle) will be replaced by Jason Worilds if he can't play. Antonio Brown WILL play this week. Troy Polamalu will practice tomorrow and at this moment there is a good chance he will return to play as well.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
ALL HANDS ON DECK (minus Ben)

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Hoyer needs to start - at least he can pass it 10 yards accurately.

maddog78
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Just heard on Tomlin's press conference. Will post news article as soon as it's up.

No word on Polamalu. Dwyer is starting against Baltimore, and Brown is back in the lineup.

Actually, he said that Ben and Lefty were throwing and they'll see as the week goes on, but RIGHT NOW, Batch is the starter.

Also, Troy will try to practice and hope he can go.

Adams out, Beachum in.

Woodley doubtful, Worilds will play most likely.

Brown will practice and play.

Dwyer starting.

Colon's knee looks much better, will try to practice though may be limited early.

Terminator
11-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Worilds is currently leading the Steelers in sacks and he isn't even a starter. He looked good against the Browns. Knocked Weedon out of the game. I look forward to him maiming Flacco's stupid face.

Rotorhead
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Things are looking up already this week!

desertsteel
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
ALL HANDS ON DECK (minus Ben)

I would not rule Ben out.

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Ben throws; Batch still to start

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 27, 2012

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was able to deliver some good news on the injury front this week, with some players who have been battling injuries working their way back to playing.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball on Monday and Tomlin said he “Will take steps towards playing this week. We’ll leave the door open.” In addition Byron Leftwich threw some on Monday, but Tomlin made it clear that Charlie Batch is the starting quarterback at this point for Sunday’s game against the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

“Right now Charlie Batch is our quarterback,” said Tomlin. “We are working offensively to put together a plan to complement his strengths. That is our plan until otherwise. These guys will participate in some form or fashion. We’ll let that participation or the result of the participation guide us in terms of their availability as we push to the later part of the week and see where those guys are a little later in the week. As we sit here today we are doing so with Charlie Batch being our quarterback.”

Receiver Antonio Brown is going to practice and at this point is scheduled to play against the Ravens. In addition, safety Troy Polamalu is expected to practice this week and could play on Sunday. Tackle Willie Colon, who missed the Browns game, is improving and has a “strong chance” of playing.

Tackle Mike Adams has been ruled out for Sunday with an ankle injury, and will be replaced by fellow rookie Kelvin Beachum.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/27/ben-throws-batch-still-to-start/

Fire Haley
11-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Uncle Charlie won't last the half - I'll be interested to see Hoyer play.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
did you see they listed Wallace OR Sanders as starter opposite Brown. Seems to me that Tomlin is seeing some of the things Steeler Nation has witnessed this season from Mike Wallace.

steelax04
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I look forward to him maiming Flacco's stupid face.

Best quote I've read in a long time.

steelax04
11-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Uncle Charlie won't last the half - I'll be interested to see Hoyer play.

If Charlie struggles in the first half (even without an injury), I would love to see some new blood in there.

Ravens1
11-27-2012, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=steelax04;1054945]Best quote I've read in a long time.[/QUOW

Week 13 Power Rankings - Ravens 4 Steelers????MIA:rofl:

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=steelax04;1054945]Best quote I've read in a long time.[/QUOW

I love it.
http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2559/cvr1_dib8.jpg

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
The Ravens are the worst 9-2 team I think I've ever seen. I legitimately can't wait until we see them in the playoffs. The thought of going into M&T Bank and ripping the fucking roof off that place and embarrassing the Ravens in their home makes my eyes water with joy.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
The Ravens are the worst 9-2 team I think I've ever seen. I legitimately can't wait until we see them in the playoffs. The thought of going into M&T Bank and ripping the fucking roof off that place and embarrassing the Ravens in their home makes my eyes water with joy.

this X1000.

Wait for it, Ravens1 aka Mr. Poopy Pants is gonna rain down on this thread any second - I can almost smell the new purple camo pants smell

steelerchad
11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
brown back in the lineup is awesome news.

wasn't overly optimistic on ben starting this week, but I'm glad they are being careful with his health. 6-6 is ok as long as #7 is healthy in a week or 2

Brown is a pointless addition with no one to get him the ball. If the QB can't play, the other offensive additions don't mean much.

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I am mostly pissed about Polamalu. I wish they would just come out and say WTF is wrong with him and why he is still incapable of dressing.there is no mystery here... he has a muscle strain [i.e. tear] in his calf. that has been the case all season.

it is a pretty major muscle, especially for someone who relies on quickness, leaping, and explosion. :noidea:

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
If Charlie struggles in the first half (even without an injury), I would love to see some new blood in there.so would the ravens.

as they say in the pen- fresh fish.

fansince'76
11-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Gee, hope that doesn't fuck up our BCS bid. :yawn:

Of course, what can you really expect from a supporter of a team that celebrates regular season wins with Gatorade baths...

The Curtain's Crusader
11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Gee, hope that doesn't fuck up our BCS bid. :yawn:

Of course, what can you really expect from a supporter of a team that celebrates regular season wins with Gatorade baths...

Pretty numbers is obviously all he cares about!

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Only Ravens fans would take a "power ranking" seriously, as if that has any indication on our season. Sorry, but these "experts" are completely and totally full of shit.

stb_steeler
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Let the Drama begin...............:coffee:

terpsnation
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Pretty numbers is obviously all he cares about!

Sounds kind of like many Steelers fans touting the team's SB wins and record against Baltimore in the playoffs...

:applaudit:

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds kind of like many Steelers fans touting the team's SB wins and record against Baltimore in the playoffs...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SbT-wJz3sN0/TniWCkjiiGI/AAAAAAAAAbM/Cbo9GQbYKpI/s1600/butthurt.jpg

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM

What's your point? The Ravens can't do dick all in the playoffs, especially against the Steelers. I personally think that's worth mentioning, and it's convenient that you don't mention it or laugh when we do. Congratulations, you're 9-2. You don't deserve to be 9-2, but you're 9-2. We'll see what you do (or, most likely don't do) when you have to rest on the shoulders of your 'elite' Delaware product in Flacco. FYI, mediocre quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls.

Terminator
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
LO FUCKING L at the thought that the Ravens will compete with Denver or Houston in the playoffs.

fansince'76
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM

You mean games that are actually significant as opposed to a completely irrelevant power ranking?

Power rankings are for fantasy football nerds, stat boys and followers of teams who repeatedly fail to sack up in the postseason. Fail.

terpsnation
11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
What's your point? The Ravens can't do dick all in the playoffs, especially against the Steelers. I personally think that's worth mentioning, and it's convenient that you don't mention it or laugh when we do. Congratulations, you're 9-2. You don't deserve to be 9-2, but you're 9-2. We'll see what you do (or, most likely don't do) when you have to rest on the shoulders of your 'elite' Delaware product in Flacco. FYI, mediocre quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls.

To be honest, I'd prefer being 9-2 and pretty much having playoffs on a lock, than being 6-5 and having a decent chance at not even making it into the post season.

And I'm not really sure what all of this "Ravens don't deserve their record" BS is. Yeah, we've looked shitty in a bunch of games, but we won them - that's all that matters. You can keep looking to the past to make yourself feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, but I'm looking to the future.

Almost anyone has a very good chance at getting hot going into the post season (that includes the Steelers) - but you've got to get into the playoffs to have a chance. Our offense has looked like a bunch of kindergartners running around with blindfolds on - but that doesn't mean that they won't figure their shit out and start playing better in these coming games. I don't know if it's going to happen - I certainly hope it does. Our defense has significantly stepped up their game since the bye week, if our offense gets churning, we will be competitive.

And the last time the Ravens won the Superbowl, we had Trent Dilfer as our QB. Mediocre much?

You mean games that are actually significant as opposed to a completely irrelevant power ranking?

Power rankings are for fantasy football nerds, stat boys and followers of teams who repeatedly fail to sack up in the postseason. Fail.

I don't care for power rankings. I don't really understand why the Ravens are at #4 in most of them right now when we haven't looked very good. But those numbers mean nothing now. Your Superbowl wins and past playoff performance mean jack shit when you are playing the Ravens. Yet when I go around the Ravens Boards, a bunch of Steelers fans use it as some sort of justification that you are currently better than us. It doesn't make sense.

Lokki
11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
If Ben is healthy and plays, and Brown is back, with Dwyer the starting RB, I may just watch the game with my pup tent the whole time.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqR1QafSZVtZm4nK-crZ33JDwAC4cx4uU0IJ7Oog7tMODfUiVAXduYkMPD

fansince'76
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't care for power rankings. I don't really understand why the Ravens are at #4 in most of them right now when we haven't looked very good. But those numbers mean nothing now. Your Superbowl wins and past playoff performance mean jack shit when you are playing the Ravens. Yet when I go around the Ravens Boards, a bunch of Steelers fans use it as some sort of justification that you are currently better than us. It doesn't make sense.

I hear you. I can't speak for those folks as I cringe myself whenever I read the lame "SIX RINGS, BITCH!" argument being thrown around. And doing it on non-Steelers boards is even more lame. Fact of the matter is, we're 0-3 against you in our last 3 meetings and if Batch starts Sunday, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that that number will go to 0-4. I only hope we can reverse that trend.

Rotorhead
11-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Most of us dont go to the ravens boards, but i may remind you that this is a Steelers board. If ever there was a ravens fan who could come here and actually talk football instead of stupid bs. You all are the worst fans, i have yet to come across one ravens fan that can hold an intelligent Football conversation. Giants, broncos, even browns fans all are mostly class acts, never a Ravens fan. Basically, if I were a ravens fan I would feel lucky with that win over SD and several wins this season to boot. I would hope my team could start producing some offense and soon. I certainly wouldnt be so cocky. But mostly i would be doing it on MY OWN FORUM.

terpsnation
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I hear you. I can't speak for those folks as I cringe myself whenever I read the lame "SIX RINGS, BITCH!" argument being thrown around. And doing it on non-Steelers boards is even more lame. Fact of the matter is, we're 0-3 against you in our last 3 meetings and if Batch starts Sunday, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that that number will go to 0-4. I only hope we can reverse that trend.

Glad someone agrees with me. And luckily, it's not a large portion of your fanbase - we all have those few that ruin it for the rest.

Most of us dont go to the ravens boards, but i may remind you that this is a Steelers board. If ever there was a ravens fan who could come here and actually talk football instead of stupid bs. You all are the worst fans, i have yet to come across one ravens fan that can hold an intelligent Football conversation. Giants, broncos, even browns fans all are mostly class acts, never a Ravens fan. Basically, if I were a ravens fan I would feel lucky with that win over SD and several wins this season to boot. I would hope my team could start producing some offense and soon. I certainly wouldnt be so cocky. But mostly i would be doing it on MY OWN FORUM.

I'm not a big fan of the words "all" or "every". I love football - I love talking football. That being said, I'm going to call you out when you spew shit out of your mouth (not you specifically). I love reading this Steelers forum, I get a ton of insight from lots of the members here, and do like to have a good football discussion. But naturally, because our teams are bitter rivals, it can often degrade into a shit throwing fest.

I do feel lucky about the SD win - going into the 4th quarter, I thought there was no way we were going to win. But somehow, we managed to put something together and we came out with a W.

I also try not to be cocky. I'm a pretty level headed guy (until game time at least) and I like to look at things objectively. Please look at the very first post that I wrote on this forum (good thing you don't have to scroll through to many.) Yeah, I've gotten into a few arguments with you guys, but who wouldn't.

There are trolls in any fanbase. I don't necessarily think that the Ravens have any more than the Steelers do. But once again, being bitter rivals, we all wear rose-colored glasses for our own teams and their respective fanbases.

EDIT: Also, just a quick side note. I'm a member of tons of different football teams' forums. I use the exact same username for every single one. Anyone can go to any of the other forums and see what I write there. I like doing that, because I generally do not act any differently on any single forum. I enjoy having discussions with fans of other teams, and I welcome the same sort of discussions on the Ravens' boards.

The_Joker
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM

I have a few friends who are Ravens fans, but yeah, a hella lot of 'em are cocky ************s.

WVABE
11-27-2012, 04:06 PM
LO FUCKING L at the thought that the Ravens will compete with Denver or Houston in the playoffs.especially when they barely beat a crippled steelers team and should've lost to the chargers.
I desparately want to see the steelers/ratbirds in the afc champ. game.
:tt03:

kennymaine
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I still think if Ben can not go, Hoyer needs to be concidered. The Ravens know nothing about him. Need new blood bad!!!!

SteelCurtain5643
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
A source close to Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he would be "shocked" if the quarterback plays against the Ravens this week.
The source says it's not a pain tolerance issue, but a question of how well Roethlisberger can perform with severe limitations. Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that Big Ben threw on Monday, but "he's not going to be allowed to play unless he shows us he's capable." The Steelers are "leaving the door open" for Roethlisberger, though Tomlin admits Charlie Batch is the likely Week 13 starter with a game plan catered to his strengths -- whatever those may be.

A source, who the fuck is the source and why cant they just name whoever it is. Its hard to believe shit like this when all they can say is "a source". With that said, I think theres a decent chance Ben plays this week, or at least, I sure hope he does.

Edman
11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Smack Talk and respect is give and take.

If a Ravens fan comes to me talking shit about this and that, I won't hesitate to throw that "SIX RINGS BITCH!!" argument out and the fact that the Ravens are still 0-3 against Pittsburgh in the postseason.

If a Ravens fans comes to be respectful and wants to talk, I'll gladly chat with him/her, and give them their due. They're not an impressive 9-2, but they're 9-2.

The Ravens are not the "Worst 9-2 Team ever", their record says what you are. They're 9-2, we're 6-5, and we're on a losing streak against them that will likely continue Sunday. There's nothing much more you say about that, but it's not the end of the world nor is it the end of the season. I'm not going to stop believing in my team.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
if he can make quick passes, I hope he plays - if he is as bad as last season's 49ers game - forget about it dude - not worth it

Buddha Bus
11-27-2012, 05:09 PM
I still think if Ben can not go, Hoyer needs to be concidered. The Ravens know nothing about him. Need new blood bad!!!!

And Hoyer knows about the same about our offense. We need to remember that we just picked him up off the scrap heap last week. This isn't Brett Favre we're talking about here.

He is an emergency only QB at this juncture to go into a game and hand the ball off if called upon. He isn't going to be turned loose to bomb NFL secondaries back to the stone age. If he were a young QB who had been on our practice squad all year, maybe I see your point, but he is getting a crash course right now and will fail mightily if called on to pass us to a win.

SteelCurtain5643
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM
According to Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports, the Steelers will "ease" Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) back into practice on Wednesday.
The reports on Big Ben's Week 13 status are all over the place. ESPN's source is setting his chances of playing at "50-50" while a source close to the quarterback tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he would be "shocked" if Roethlisberger plays. Per LaCanfora, "many still expect" him to give it a go in a big game at Baltimore. The Steelers are leaving the door open in case Big Ben's range of motion exceeds expectations in practice this week.

StainlessStill
11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
SIT 'EM!

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 08:53 PM
And Hoyer knows about the same about our offense. We need to remember that we just picked him up off the scrap heap last week. This isn't Brett Favre we're talking about here.

He is an emergency only QB at this juncture to go into a game and hand the ball off if called upon. He isn't going to be turned loose to bomb NFL secondaries back to the stone age. If he were a young QB who had been on our practice squad all year, maybe I see your point, but he is getting a crash course right now and will fail mightily if called on to pass us to a win.

I'd take the scrap heap over Batch right now. Hoyer showed during his tenure with the Patriots he can hit 10 - 15 yard balls accurately, something our entire offense is built around. Even if he hits Heath and Brown all day on the underneath routes, it's more of an offensive threat than Charlie's elderly arm trying to throw it down to Wallace and getting it picked off.

LVSteelersfan
11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
You all might get what you wish for if the Ratbird's defense gets to Charlie early. We may see Hoyer in there. Personally I think he is a good QB but I doubt he is ready for prime time at this point.

btaylor179
11-27-2012, 09:33 PM
theres no way we beat the ravens with or without ben/we couldnt even beat browns

LVSteelersfan
11-27-2012, 10:00 PM
theres no way we beat the ravens with or without ben/we couldnt even beat browns

Did you even watch the last Ratbirds game? We almost beat them with Leftwich. They are still the same team two weeks later. That hasn't changed.

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 10:31 PM

We smacked the Giants - in their house with the refs and emotions on their side. Plus, the Giants are a better team than the Ravens. We just need our D to play stout and Ben (fucking praying it's Ben) to play like Ben. It isn't rocket science, the Ravens aren't a good team.

tanda10506
11-28-2012, 04:07 AM
The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?

Rick5895
11-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Batch didn't play well against the Browns. However, Hoyer playing would be a mistake, he surely isn't up to speed on our playbook, he may well be a good back up for us down the road, but after a week and a half, I doubt it.
You all can blame Batch and he certainly should take his fair amount, but the fumbles killed us. Mendenhals first fumble at our 10 or 15 really was huge. Batch's first pick was a Wallace bobble, a pass (although not perfect) should have been caught. His third pic was a desperation throw. Even without the pics, WE STILL LOST 5 FUMBLES. Not too mention it seemed every time we had a positive offensive play, we had a holding penalty or some other penalty on the O. You can't put the ball on the ground 5 times, take penalties that put you in 1st or 2nd and 15 or 20, and expect the third string QB to do anything to win. NO NFL TEAM WOULD WIN IN THAT SITUATION.
As much as Charlie wasn't good, the team did nothing to help him and the backup needs a better performance by the other players on the O to be even remotely successful.

Terminator
11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Although old Charlie wasn't 100% responsible for losing the Browns game, he sure as shit wasn't able to do anything to get us back in it. His interceptions in the 2nd half could have been picked by high school DB's.

I say start Batch, and if we are shitting the bed by the half, bring in Hoyer. Nothing left to lose at that point.

Fire Haley
11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance

steelfury02
11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance

eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO

steelax04
11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
so, there's a chance

KX5jNnDMfxA

Steel_Bus_24
11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO

Then what was all that sh** about it just being pain tolerance

And I agree...this sounds more like it'll take another 3 weeks at least

BlaZeQuietly
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I think he'll play, maybe not start. Come on, he's still big ben and will still play hurt.

Rotorhead
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
How the hell do you get another 3 weeks from that, especially if there is a chance he will play this week?

Ravens1
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM

You're dreaming if you think you are going to finish above the Bengals.

P.S. Bring the big guy Sunday so we can put him out of his misery.:tt02:

Steel_Bus_24
11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
How the hell do you get another 3 weeks from that, especially if there is a chance he will play this week?

granted I don't know much of anything...but my logic, just based on the reports about the injury's severity and recovery time......

Theres been more that suggest Ben would be out till MId to late December...

This week was the 1st we really heard of that Ben might even be able to try and practice

terpsnation
11-28-2012, 03:25 PM

P.S. Bring the big guy Sunday so we can put him out of his misery.:tt02:

I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that the Steelers end up with a better record than the Bengals. Let's look at their schedules:

Steelers
@ Ravens
Chargers
@ Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

Bengals
@ Chargers
Cowboys
@ Eagles
@ Steelers
Ravens

With Ben out, I think the chances of the Steelers winning at Baltimore are relatively slim. That means that the Bengals will have to lose at least one game for the Steelers to end up with a better record. When Ben comes back, I don't see the Bengals going to Pittsburgh and winning. Steelers would then have a 2 - 0 record against the Bengals, and would win any tie scenario.

Looking at the other games - I can see the Steelers winning out (after the Ravens game). Chargers at home should be easy w/ Ben back - and I don't see them losing to the Cowboys or Browns.

W/ the Bengals, they could very possibly lose at the Chargers this week, then against the Ravens in Week 17.

tony hipchest
11-28-2012, 03:30 PM

: i can see you thinking that being they are your 2nd favorite team.

teh bengals suck.

tanda10506
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that the Steelers end up with a better record than the Bengals. Let's look at their schedules:

Steelers
@ Ravens
Chargers
@ Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

Bengals
@ Chargers
Cowboys
@ Eagles
@ Steelers
Ravens

With Ben out, I think the chances of the Steelers winning at Baltimore are relatively slim. That means that the Bengals will have to lose at least one game for the Steelers to end up with a better record. When Ben comes back, I don't see the Bengals going to Pittsburgh and winning. Steelers would then have a 2 - 0 record against the Bengals, and would win any tie scenario.

Looking at the other games - I can see the Steelers winning out (after the Ravens game). Chargers at home should be easy w/ Ben back - and I don't see them losing to the Cowboys or Browns.

W/ the Bengals, they could very possibly lose at the Chargers this week, then against the Ravens in Week 17.

As long as Ben is back by the SD game, we will win our last 4, the Bengals won't. Not only will we beat them which will put them behind us for good this year, but they won't beat they will lose another game on top of that, and possibly two.

steelerchad
11-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Steelers
@ Ravens
Chargers
@ Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

Bengals
@ Chargers
Cowboys
@ Eagles
@ Steelers
Ravens

It basically comes down to us having to win 3 of our next five with one of them being the Bengals game. If that happens, the Bengals would need to sweep their other 4 game or the Dolphins would have to win 5 in a row for us to miss the playoffs.

Fire Haley
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
It basically comes down to us having to win 3 of our next five with one of them being the Bengals game...

pretty much, if Ben plays they can do that

SD, Dallas, Cincy with Batch at QB??? I don't think so

mlr458
11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
There was more wrong with last week''s game than Charlie's interceptions, if my memory recalls I've seen Ben throw a few interceptions also. A couple things I would like to comment on is 1) all of the fumbles, that had nothing to do with Charlie, and 2) if I remember when I played basketball and the ball was going to be short we were told to run our ass up and meet the ball. Why can't these receivers do that instead of bitching about Charlie's passes being too short? Another note... if Ben's rib was that close to his aorta then it would be foolish for him to play this soon and chance getting sacked by some of those ravens.

cubanstogie
11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
There was more wrong with last week''s game than Charlie's interceptions, if my memory recalls I've seen Ben throw a few interceptions also. A couple things I would like to comment on is 1) all of the fumbles, that had nothing to do with Charlie, and 2) if I remember when I played basketball and the ball was going to be short we were told to run our ass up and meet the ball. Why can't these receivers do that instead of bitching about Charlie's passes being too short? Another note... if Ben's rib was that close to his aorta then it would be foolish for him to play this soon and chance getting sacked by some of those ravens.

It looked like Charlie was throwing into a wind. Hard to ask receiver change their route running. A man has got to know his limitations and crossing patterns over the middle and check offs to running back is what he is limited to from what I saw last week. Ed Reed will have a field day if Charlie tries to go deep, and don't expect Wallace to play defender if he has to.

Hawaii 5-0
11-28-2012, 06:43 PM

nice first post, welcome to the board! :drink:

also, i noticed you edited your post due to "added thought". we try to refrain from that as much as possible around here...:chuckle: