PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

November 27th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

The depth chart that’s released by the Steelers every Tuesday is just a formality — nothing ever changes.

Well, except when your top running back fumbled twice the four times he touched the ball and your speedy receiver catches one pass and has some poor body language.

When the Steelers released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Ravens, Rashard Mendenhall was demoted from first-team running back to third string. Jonathan Dwyer is now listed as the starter. Isaac Redman remained as the No. 2.

Also, Mike Wallace was always listed as the starting receiver along with Antonio Brown. Now, the depth chart reads Mike Wallace OR Emmanuel Sanders as the starter.

Obviously, the Steelers and Mike Tomlin is not very happy with either guy.

This very well could be a ploy by Tomlin to motivate the two players. It would’ve been just as easy to not change the official depth chart and go about your plan to not play Mendenhall or Wallace. But for the Steelers to make it official in one of their weekly releases tell me motivation might be a reason why.

However and ironically, both are in the final year of their rookie deals.

I guess we can assume that the either Mendenhall and Wallace won’t be on the top of the Steelers free agent list in March if they don’t respond like the Steelers are hoping they do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/27/mendenhall-demoted-wallace-close-too/

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Jonathan Dwyer to start for Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday

By Gregg Rosenthal
Nov. 27, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin knows one player that will start in his backfield against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. He's just not sure who will play quarterback.

Tomlin announced Tuesday at his press conference that Jonathan Dwyer would be his starting running back primary ball carrier moving forward. Tomlin doesn't like running back committees, and he's decided Dwyer has "consistently been the most productive guy" for Pittsburgh this season.

No one ran well against the Browns during Pittsburgh's fumblefest, but Rashard Mendenhall just doesn't look 100%. Mendenhall and Isaac Redman will back up Dwyer.

There remains a chance that Ben Roethlisberger will be the one handing the ball off to Dwyer against Baltimore.

"Right now, CharlieBatch is our quarterback, we have other guys working and we will see where those guys are later in the week," Tomlin said via Steelers.com.

Those guys are Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. Tomlin said the Steelers will leave the "door open" for Big Ben to play and that he's "got a chance" to suit up.

Tomlin also sounded very positive about Antonio Brown (ankle0 and Troy Polamalu returning to the field this week. Both players will practice Wednesday. It won't be too long before the Pittsburgh Steelers look like the Pittsburgh Steelers again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101697/article/jonathan-dwyer-to-start-for-pittsburgh-steelers-on-sunday

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

November 27th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

The depth chart that’s released by the Steelers every Tuesday is just a formality — nothing ever changes.

Well, except when your top running back fumbled twice the four times he touched the ball and your speedy receiver catches one pass and has some poor body language.

When the Steelers released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Ravens, Rashard Mendenhall was demoted from first-team running back to third string. Jonathan Dwyer is now listed as the starter. Isaac Redman remained as the No. 2.

Also, Mike Wallace was always listed as the starting receiver along with Antonio Brown. Now, the depth chart reads Mike Wallace OR Emmanuel Sanders as the starter.

Obviously, the Steelers and Mike Tomlin is not very happy with either guy.

This very well could be a ploy by Tomlin to motivate the two players. It would’ve been just as easy to not change the official depth chart and go about your plan to not play Mendenhall or Wallace. But for the Steelers to make it official in one of their weekly releases tell me motivation might be a reason why.

However and ironically, both are in the final year of their rookie deals.

I guess we can assume that the either Mendenhall and Wallace won’t be on the top of the Steelers free agent list in March if they don’t respond like the Steelers are hoping they do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/27/mendenhall-demoted-wallace-close-too/

Yea and you know what - Sanders will be back, not Wallace. Mark it down. Wallace never helps us out in the thick of things - he'll continue to decline. Wallace doesnt have the character to rise to the occasion.

Fire Arians
11-27-2012, 01:17 PM
good, give the job to someone who wants it. there's been no sense of urgency from either of the two to take their jobs, it's almost like they just expected it to be handed to them.

give me sanders over wallace anyday, they should already pencil him in as the #2 imo

in the words of mike singletary "I want players who want to win"

steelax04
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm anxious to see how the "Monday Morning Coaches" spin this move by Tomlin into how he's soft and a player's coach and is horrible.

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
kaboly is making too much out of the wallace deal and clearly began writing this article before he finished hearing tomlin out at the presser.

wallace was clearly (and understandably per tomlins words) upset with his game sunday and especially because there was a noodle armed qb who was physically incapable of getting him the ball deep when he clearly had his man beat.

tomlin all but said if batch plays, those plays will be stricken from the gameplan.

this was the stretch of the season, where haley had planned to really unleash ben and wallace and take the league by storm with offensive explosion.

bens injury + byrons + injury + charlies peckerstroker = screwed up the whole gameplan.

when ben plays, wallace will be starter.

6RingsAndCounting
11-27-2012, 02:21 PM
kaboly is making too much out of the wallace deal and clearly began writing this article before he finished hearing tomlin out at the presser.

wallace was clearly (and understandably per tomlins words) upset with his game sunday and especially because there was a noodle armed qb who was physically incapable of getting him the ball deep when he clearly had his man beat.

tomlin all but said if batch plays, those plays will be stricken from the gameplan.

this was the stretch of the season, where haley had planned to really unleash ben and wallace and take the league by storm with offensive explosion.

bens injury + byrons + injury + charlies peckerstroker = screwed up the whole gameplan.

But all that doesn't explain why wallace has played this way since the middle of last season. It's not just his lack of effort, I honestly don't think he has the ability to be an elite receiver in the league. He can't catch with his hands, he uses his body too much, he has never attacked the ball well, and hes a mediocre route runner. I'd rather have Sanders any day.

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
sanders is fine.

both were 3rd rounders, not highly touted coming into their respective drafts.

both bring different skill sets.

i dont think anyone can make judgements on wallac's character based on "on the field" performance.

Terminator
11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
what does "tony hipchest" mean?

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
what does "tony hipchest" mean?

it means "The Terminator" in Augratin. :wink02:

its my name.

middle name's dick, cause im a dick.

6RingsAndCounting
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
sanders is fine.

both were 3rd rounders, not highly touted coming into their respective drafts.

both bring different skill sets.

i dont think anyone can make judgements on wallac's character based on "on the field" performance.
I'm not making judgement of his character off the field, I don't care what he does off the field as long as he's not in trouble, but I don't believe that his skill set is all that great. I will comment that his on the field character seems like it's "Me First"

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
his speed is world class.

6RingsAndCounting
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM

So is Ted Ginn's..

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Wallace's or a drug kingpin's?

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
We're not using Wallace properly, and as big a fan as I am of Mikey, I don't think he has a place in this offense anymore. If we're not going to let him go deep and make a play on the ball then he needs to go somewhere else where he'll be used properly. If we need underneath receivers and value tight ends, then we need to grab someone like Woods in the draft to replace him. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt he comes back to the Steelers next year and it won't be because we won't match the money another team will.

Rotorhead
11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
The problem is he hasnt been making a play on the ball, lately it seems if the ball is not perfectly placed in his hands he wont even try for it. If he was dropping passes and trying for the hard catches he wouldnt get so much flak, but his effort is pathetic, especially for someone demanding a huge contract, doubly so for someone in a contract year.

Lokki
11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Yay, Tomlin finally found his balls and demoted the slackers.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

No doubt - but IMO Tomlin had seen enough of Wallace's attitude since mid-2011.

At some point rational teams have to wonder why they would break the bank for #17 (which of course means it may be one of the irrational team owners (Jerry Jones/Danny Snyder) from whom Wallace will get his payday.)

charlesk
11-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Hurry up and figure out who is starting so Bernard Pollard can knock them into next week too!

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Hurry up and figure out who is starting so Bernard Pollard can knock them into next week too!

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/Rottenecards_33704043_3r4ymgxq8d.png

teegre
11-27-2012, 04:12 PM
As Tony was saying, I truly think that Haley was saving all of his "splash plays" to Wallace for thise three week stretch (i.e. against the Ravens). BB's injury put a damper on that.

The silver lining: Haley can now use those plays in the play-offs.

As far as Droppy goes: I
was hoping that he would regain the starting role with vigor. Instead, when faced with two backs breathing down his neck, he fumbled twice.

As far as Wallace goes:
I now prefer Sanders. Speed is only good is one actually CATCHES the ball. Give me a guy who routinely catches 10 yard passes over a guy who rotuinely drops 50 yard passes.

Edman
11-27-2012, 04:34 PM

You mean the same douchebag who let Slow Byron jog past him a few weeks ago?

Fuck you, Rat fan. Your team isn't that good, and you'll find out sooner than you think.

steelfury02
11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm getting really sick and tired of seeing the Ravens fans' nonsense

Fire Arians
11-27-2012, 05:08 PM

don't be surprised if sanders puts the hines ward on his ass

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM

he's a puss. he should spend more time watching the steelers to see how a real man hits.

so i guess benard tryin to cash in on some of suggs bounty?

iTTqsu5HK-A

FrancoLambert
11-27-2012, 05:38 PM

CharlesK,

Keep drinking the purple kool-aid and keep gloating.
Your team has been as lucky as shit and you know that..... but luck runs out.
Keep celebrating regular season (repeat, regular season) wins.
Keep giving your classless coach Gatorade baths.
Keep counting your lonely Super Bowl win.
Remember, 6 >>>>>1.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Does Harbaugh get a Gatorade bath for sweeping the season series?

Check back after he wins a game that merits having the bucket dumped on him - Ravens have not won one of those since 2001

Stu Pidasso
11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
The problem is he hasnt been making a play on the ball, lately it seems if the ball is not perfectly placed in his hands he wont even try for it. If he was dropping passes and trying for the hard catches he wouldnt get so much flak, but his effort is pathetic, especially for someone demanding a huge contract, doubly so for someone in a contract year.

Reminds me of "Getcha popcorn ready!"....

TRH
11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
As Tony was saying, I truly think that Haley was saving all of his "splash plays" to Wallace for thise three week stretch (i.e. against the Ravens). BB's injury put a damper on that.

The silver lining: Haley can now use those plays in the play-offs.

As far as Droppy goes: I
was hoping that he would regain the starting role with vigor. Instead, when faced with two backs breathing down his neck, he fumbled twice.

As far as Wallace goes:
I now prefer Sanders. Speed is only good is one actually CATCHES the ball. Give me a guy who routinely catches 10 yard passes over a guy who rotuinely drops 50 yard passes.

as the old classic highlight reel would say....

"Playoffs? playoffs?..............."

zcoop
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
We're not using Wallace properly, and as big a fan as I am of Mikey, I don't think he has a place in this offense anymore. If we're not going to let him go deep and make a play on the ball then he needs to go somewhere else where he'll be used properly. If we need underneath receivers and value tight ends, then we need to grab someone like Woods in the draft to replace him. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt he comes back to the Steelers next year and it won't be because we won't match the money another team will.

A voice of reason. Dink and Dunk offense are a mix match for throwing the ball down the field. I agree, if we can 't use him then let him go. Mike's not a bad kid.

TRH
11-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Well, we have thrown deep (or even semi-deep) to Wallace a number of times this year, but the fact is we haven't connected on them like we usually have done.
Chalk that up to either Wallace not doing a stellar effort on the route and also he's been both underthrown and overthrown a few times as well - certainly more than normal.

I've actually wondered both if he's not a great fit-in anymore or if the team is actually not looking his way as much as they have in the past (a passive form of "punishment"??) when they could have.
Whatever it is - you're right - he most certainly won't be back next year but it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I have a hunch he could end up with one of the California teams.

Lokki
11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, we have thrown deep (or even semi-deep) to Wallace a number of times this year, but the fact is we haven't connected on them like we usually have done.
Chalk that up to either Wallace not doing a stellar effort on the route and also he's been both underthrown and overthrown a few times as well - certainly more than normal.

I've actually wondered both if he's not a great fit-in anymore or if the team is actually not looking his way as much as they have in the past (a passive form of "punishment"??) when they could have.
Whatever it is - you're right - he most certainly won't be back next year but it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I have a hunch he could end up with one of the California teams.

I have a hard time believing that Ben would pass up throwing it deep if Wallace was open, as a form of punishment. The coaches may want to punish him, but Ben is too competitive to give up an opportunity like that.

Twentyvalve
11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, with that killer pass rush.

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
I have a hard time believing that Ben would pass up throwing it deep if Wallace was open, as a form of punishment. The coaches may want to punish him, but Ben is too competitive to give up an opportunity like that.

Ben is whipped - he used to go to the clubs all night - now he probably spends his free time with Mrs. Ben discussing paint colors for the nursery - giving up the deep ball obviously is a symptom of Ben becoming domesticated

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a hunch he could end up with one of the California teams.

He'll go to Carolina and be Cam's deep threat.

Terminator
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Ben is whipped - he used to go to the clubs all night - now he probably spends his free time with Mrs. Ben discussing paint colors for the nursery - giving up the deep ball obviously is a symptom of Ben becoming domesticated

Ever since I got married and had kids, my wife likes to randomly grab my balls and remind me that they belong to her. Then she casually walks away.

Feels bad, man. :hatsoff:

TRH
11-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Ben doesn't call the plays. I was referring to the plays being called not being geared towards Wallace as much as they could be. Its already been said that he's been "demoted" in a sense. Hence, the term "punishment" could be used if you're looking at it that way.
Wallace isn't even the #1 look anymore. A case could be made that he's all the way down to 3 and likely #4.

Hawaii 5-0
11-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Ever since I got married and had kids, my wife likes to randomly grab my balls and remind me that they belong to her. Then she casually walks away.

Feels bad, man. :hatsoff:

reminds me of a Sam Kinison joke: :chuckle:

"The best thing about marriage is that your balls are connected.

They don't come off.

'Cause if they did, your wife would take them as soon as you got married.

She'd go, You're married now.

You won't be needing them.

I'll just take care of those for you, okay?

Now, if you want them, they'll be in my purse or in the refrigerator."

Curtain_of_Steel
11-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Cant send a WR 50 yards long, when the 2 invalid QB's we have subbingcan only throw it 30 yards.

No excuse for the drop passes, but Wallace is not being used properly. Have we even run the crossing pattern that Wallace broke out for a td a few weeks ago? doubtful.

Ben is whipped? So if he goes to the clubs, he gets ripped, if he stays home, he is basically a *****? Seriously?

Yes, the caching staff is proving a point to Wallace they will not pass deep to him? Come on man! That is as dumb as someone saying Ben is whipped.

tony hipchest
11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
WHOOOOOSH!!!!

Rowland2110
11-28-2012, 02:35 AM
As far as im concerned sanders is superior in every way shape and form to wallace at this point. Dwyer should have been the starting RB weeks ago.

tanda10506
11-28-2012, 04:23 AM
As far as im concerned sanders is superior in every way shape and form to wallace at this point. Dwyer should have been the starting RB weeks ago.

This ^. Dwyer should have been our starting RB since Mendy's 2nd injury. After Dwyer consistently performing so well there is just no need for Mendy. Redman is a true backup IMO and Rainey is a perfect contrast to Dwyer, Dwyer is real power which is rare, and Rainey is crazy fast, I can't think of a sharper contrast in a RB duo. I honestly think we are set at RB and not even going to have to pay much for them. As for Wallace, I agree. He has the most potential, yet it SEEMS like he has the least heart. He drops a lot of them now, especially big ones, and he doesn't get open often. I think the WR corps has been struggling as a corp since the KC game, but Burress and the return of A. Brown will fix that.

I don't want to start the talk to early, but does anybody really see Wallace here still at the end of the year, or Mendy? Can't catch, can't hang on to it when running, etc.. Brown is already locked up, Sanders will be even cheaper then Brown and he has outperformed Wallace IMO, Cotchery is locked up next year, and Plax is always an option and a damn good one at that in the red zone. I don't see either of them around next year AS OF NOW. Even if he's not a one trick pony as many believe, the bottom line is he hasn't hung on to the football while playing as a #1 WR, yet our other WR's show up when they are called upon. Also Haley adopted that over the top type lob into the endzone play that is now so commonly used especially by NFC teams, but it has been a disaster. We don't have a tall or physical WR unless they line Heath up at WR which is to obvious. Now those lobs are going to be to Burress and our redzone percentage will go through the roof, and with everybody else filling a roll, where is $11 mil for a WR who could be anywhere between #1 and #3 by the time the year ends.

steeltheone
11-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Dwyer has proved nothing on a consistent basis, besides injury prone and fumbles. Rainey has shown he cannot handle many carries without getting hurt. He is a third down back, maybe?

Rowland2110
11-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Dwyer has proved nothing on a consistent basis, besides injury prone and fumbles. Rainey has shown he cannot handle many carries without getting hurt. He is a third down back, maybe?

Mendenhall doesnt seem to know how to get through holes. Just runs straight forward into whatever is there. Also Dwyer breaks a lot of tackles.

palasport
11-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Mendenhall was a bust from the beginning as far as I'm concerned,and Wallace is just here for the ride,when he didn't get what he wanted $$$ he quit playing to his ability,what ever happened to "you can't over throw me"? Now when our QB's under throw him by 6 inches he stands there instead of running to the ball he just watches it bounce,I was hoping bringing in Plex would force him to step his game up but obviously he no longer wants to be a Steeler.

steeltheone
11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Mendenhall doesnt seem to know how to get through holes. Just runs straight forward into whatever is there. Also Dwyer breaks a lot of tackles.

We still are comparing a back with close 4000 yards rushing and 30 td's to 578 and 0 td's ...I don't think Mendy is what we expected, but he has been serviceable !

teegre
11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
We still are comparing a back with close 4000 yards rushing and 30 td's to 578 and 0 td's ...I don't think Mendy is what we expected, but he has been serviceable !

I remember the Chargers were faced with a similar decision: LT (the RB who once scored 31 TDs in a season) or Michael Turner (a big RB with promise).

Fans wanted LT... and the three seasons afterwards, Turner was amazing (while LT was "done").

Mendenspin looks "done" to me. The past is simply that: the past. Dwyer may not be great, but he currently seems better than the CURRENT version of Mendenspin.

steelfury02
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't mind see a WR corp consisting of Rd4-6 wide receiver, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Plax

defence
11-28-2012, 10:23 AM
To be very honest. I think they all stink. I don't know what tomlin should do with this group. This is another case like the back up qb situation that was neglected because people put too much stock in what they had on there roster at those positions. Comparing the 3 is like comparing a rotten banana to a rotten apple to a rotten pear. Pick your rotten fruit!!

teegre
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
To be very honest. I think they all stink. I don't know what tomlin should do with this group. This is another case like the back up qb situation that was neglected because people put too much stock in what they had on there roster at those positions. Comparing the 3 is like comparing a rotten banana to a rotten apple to a rotten pear. Pick your rotten fruit!!

As I mentioned in another thread, it's like arguing about who is better: Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, or Bubby Brister.

defence
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, it's like arguing about who is better: Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, or Bubby Brister.

For sure; that's another way of putting it!!:drink:

steelfury02
11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
yea, what is maddening is that we won SBs with Ward, Wilson, El & Holmes, Ward, & Washington.

We can win one with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery or whoever is in the third spot

Rotorhead
11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Steeltheone, how many time are you going to bring up that stupid argument about mendy having more yards and tds, he was the starter, i imagine he will have more yards, dwyer and redman have not been the starter for several years. This is the stupidest argument i have seen and you continually bring it up. If the other 2 are the starters the would have the numbers and not mendy.

steelfury02
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Steeltheone, how many time are you going to bring up that stupid argument about mendy having more yards and tds, he was the starter, i imagine he will have more yards, dwyer and redman have not been the starter for several years. This is the stupidest argument i have seen and you continually bring it up. If the other 2 are the starters the would have the numbers and not mendy.

there just isn't any arguments left to be made - he and Wallace are done - dead men walking, finished. Time to hope they either give enough shit to go out with style or even possibly play for the Steelers for dirt cheap (longshot) or just hope we have other guys that go in and perform well in their place

Lokki
11-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Stats are great when taken out of context, aren't they? Of course a starter's stats are going to be better than a backup's. It's like the following scenarios.

Alex Smith has great numbers in San Fran over the last 2 years. They are much better than Kaepernick's numbers. Alex Smith should be the starter!

Colin Kaepernick has great numbers in San Fran over the last 2 weeks. They are much better than Smith's. Colin Kaepernick should be the starter!

2 different statements. Both true. Obviously, the one that started more games in both of those scenarios put up the better numbers.

Atlanta Dan
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Cant send a WR 50 yards long, when the 2 invalid QB's we have subbingcan only throw it 30 yards.

No excuse for the drop passes, but Wallace is not being used properly. Have we even run the crossing pattern that Wallace broke out for a td a few weeks ago? doubtful.

Ben is whipped? So if he goes to the clubs, he gets ripped, if he stays home, he is basically a *****? Seriously?

Yes, the caching staff is proving a point to Wallace they will not pass deep to him? Come on man! That is as dumb as someone saying Ben is whipped.

Sorry I could not find a sarcasm icon to put after the post:chuckle:

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
reminds me of a Sam Kinison joke: :chuckle:

"The best thing about marriage is that your balls are connected.

They don't come off.

'Cause if they did, your wife would take them as soon as you got married.

She'd go, You're married now.

You won't be needing them.

I'll just take care of those for you, okay?

Now, if you want them, they'll be in my purse or in the refrigerator."

A classic for sure!:hatsoff:

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
yea, what is maddening is that we won SBs with Ward, Wilson, El & Holmes, Ward, & Washington.

We can win one with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery or whoever is in the third spot

the offense we run seems to be a better fit for sanders and brown than wallace. short passing game that relies on the WR to make the plays and move the chains.

with all the speed wallace has, he is not good at YAC unless he's behind the defense, he doesn't like getting hit and runs scared over the middle. brown and sanders don't do that, and seem to get open without needing 20 seconds to stretch the defense on a go route.

what this offense needs is a running back. one of our guys to step up or draft an upgrade next year

and we don't need wallace to stretch a defense. both brown and sanders are 4.4 speed guys who can get by db's

TheVet
11-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Damn good point, that really is a silly argument. Kind of like saying that Bruce Arians took us to two super bowls.

ricardisimo
11-29-2012, 03:18 AM
good, give the job to someone who wants it. there's been no sense of urgency from either of the two to take their jobs, it's almost like they just expected it to be handed to them.

give me sanders over wallace anyday, they should already pencil him in as the #2 imo

in the words of mike singletary "I want players who want to win"
I don't remember that policy helping Singletary out too much during his unusually short stint.

steeltheone
11-29-2012, 03:43 AM

There is a reason the other 2 have not been starters. lack of talent, injuries, combination of both.

Mendy is not a superstar but, he has put up numbers. And with a crappy line.

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Go Mendenhall and take Wallace with you

by Jon Pennline
published by Sports Talk Radio on Mon, 11/26/2012

Goodbye Rashard Mendenhall and while you're at it, take Mike Wallace with you.

The Steelers need a real running back whose not afraid to get hit and wont shoot his mouth off every few weeks on Twitter. Your four injury plagued years have helped minimally while you continue to fumble your way back onto the bench.

Heading into yesterday's game, your offense had a plan to pound the football with you leading the charge. Against one of the league's worst rushing defenses, you were supposed to lead the way and make life easy on your 100 year old quarterback.

Instead, you fumbled the ball twice, losing one of those fumbles which led directly to Cleveland's first score of the game. Your team had a lead and momentum until you carelessly lost the ball, similar to what Mike Wallace did in Baltimore the week before.

Speaking of Mike Wallace, pack your bags as well.

Want to know the difference between you and some of the players you want to be in the same pay grade with? They fight for the ball and they make the difficult plays. Sure, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald are physically bigger, but they also hustle to the ball and fight for every target. Oh, and they rarely ever fumble, especially in crucial games. You've had quite a few drops this season but none more painful than the one yesterday that led to an interception.

On top of that, your attitude towards getting a new contract, combined with your poor performance this season ensures that you will either A) make significantly less money than you wanted with the Steelers, or, B) make significantly less money than you wanted with someone else. No one is going to pay $100 million for a receiver that only runs in a straight line, can't adjust to the ball, and wont fight for every play. Not even the Washington Redskins.

But at least you have options. Rashard Mendenhall, on the other hand, is going to be handled as an undrafted free agent. The size and talent are there but the toughness is questionable and the health is unreliable. Gone are the days of you being used as a feature back when you were drafted in the first round out of Illinois, Rashard. Enjoy being a poor man's Ron Dayne or Derrick Ward on a team that needs an extra running back.

The Steelers had holes to fill coming into this season. Thanks to you two, it looks like there will be two more positions added to the list. Wallace, you're nothing but a one-trick pony as Mike Tomlin stated months ago. You may want big time money and you may consider yourself part of the "Young Money Family" but both of those players have passed you up and you're going to be hard pressed to find a team with enough cap space to meet your demands.

As for Mendenhall, I have two words for you: Tim Worley.

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/content/go-mendenhall-and-take-wallace-you-jon-pennline

Hawaii 5-0
11-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Steelers notebook: RB Mendenhall not worried about fumbles

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Newly demoted running back Rashard Mendenhall isn’t upset at being called a backup. But he dislikes being labeled as a fumbler, even after losing the ball twice in Cleveland.

The former first-round draft pick fumbled only six times in his first 819 carries; he has three in his last 28 carries.

“That is not something I question myself on. I know the way I secure the ball, so I don’t really worry about it,” Mendenhall said.

He can become a free agent after this season, but he’s not worried about the fumbles affecting his market value. “I really don’t think about,” he said.

• To receiver Antonio Brown, the most frustrating part of missing three games with a high ankle sprain was watching the offense produce only one touchdown each game. He went through a full practice Wednesday and expects to play in Baltimore. “No question, it’s hard when you watch your teammates and you can’t get out there,” Brown said. “I think everyone is frustrated coming off back-to-back losses for the first time since I’ve been here. Everyone should be frustrated.”

• Mike Wallace, whose production has dropped with Brown out, said he wasn’t told of his demotion to co-starter by coach Mike Tomlin until he arrived for practice Wednesday. Tomlin told reporters the day before. “It wasn’t that long ago I heard,” Wallace said. “It doesn’t matter (who told him) because I know now.” Wallace had 18 catches in the past three games Brown played; he has eight catches for 48 yards in his most recent three games. He isn’t certain whether he or Emmanuel Sanders will start Sunday. “If I am out there, I will give it everything I’ve got,” Wallace said.

• Rookie right guard David DeCastro is on the active roster for the first time since injuring his right knee Aug. 25 in Buffalo, and he said sitting out for so long was “really difficult.” He expects to be a backup for now.

• Brian Hoyer is ready to go only a week after joining the Steelers. Tomlin said Hoyer’s role, if necessary, could be expanded this week beyond that of emergency quarterback. “I don’t think they would have signed me if they didn’t think I could go in,” said Hoyer, Tom Brady’s former backup in New England. “It’s not like I’m fresh out of college, I’ve been the backup to a pretty good quarterback for three years. When it gets down to it, football is football. The terminology might be different, the schemes might be different, but you’ve got to go out there and play.”

• Running backs coach Kirby Wilson’s reaction to the five fumbles in Cleveland? Beyond anger. “Oh man, he was (ticked),” running back Isaac Redman said. “After (Jonathan) Dwyer’s fumble, Kirby was all out of energy. He just came to the sideline (and said), ‘Y’all going to make me go with (Chris) Rainey! I’m going to do it! I’m not scared to do it! I’m going to do it!’” Rainey indeed went into the game — and fumbled twice as a receiver.

• Nose tackle Casey Hampton’s traditional pregame meal in Baltimore isn’t eaten at the team hotel. It’s served up in a wrapper courtesy of a Ravens fans. “There’s a fan there — I don’t know his name — he brings me a hot dog,” Hampton said. “He takes care of me. That’s my guy.” Doesn’t the oversized Hampton worry his pregame treat might be, uh, tainted? “After I first couple of times, seeing there was nothing wrong with it. … It’s pretty good,” he said. “I eat it plain. I don’t want to upset my stomach too much.”

• Just like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu didn’t talk to reporters Wednesday. Unlike Roethlisberger, he went through a full practice — his first since Oct. 5. Ryan Clark, the other starting safety, expects him to play. Even if Polamalu isn’t 100 percent — his torn calf kept him out for seven games — his presence could provide a lift. “He does a great job of communicating (with) the other defensive backs and getting them all coordinated on the same page. He’s a guy you really have to track,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. One surprising statistic: Polamalu has no interceptions against the Ravens in 14 regular-season games.

http://triblive.com/home/3032963-74/wallace-team-chart-depth-informed-tomlin-doesn-final-maybe-mike#ixzz2DgHwP8jn

ChristianKustomz
11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
The real problem is even when Big Ben was playing Wallace was still playing high school ball and Mendenhall too. They are not worth the money they are getting paid. They have performed very poorly this entire season and I don't see them getting better. I say demote them, fire them, turn them into water boys it doesn't really matter to me but just keep their hands off the ball and off the field...oh wait...their hands don't touch the ball...and that's the problem.

sloppyjoe
12-01-2012, 10:52 AM

By Alan Robinson

Newly demoted running back Rashard Mendenhall isn’t upset at being called a backup. But he dislikes being labeled as a fumbler, even after losing the ball twice in Cleveland.

The former first-round draft pick fumbled only six times in his first 819 carries; he has three in his last 28 carries.

“That is not something I question myself on. I know the way I secure the ball, so I don’t really worry about it,” Mendenhall said.

He can become a free agent after this season, but he’s not worried about the fumbles affecting his market value. “I really don’t think about,” he said.

• To receiver Antonio Brown, the most frustrating part of missing three games with a high ankle sprain was watching the offense produce only one touchdown each game. He went through a full practice Wednesday and expects to play in Baltimore. “No question, it’s hard when you watch your teammates and you can’t get out there,” Brown said. “I think everyone is frustrated coming off back-to-back losses for the first time since I’ve been here. Everyone should be frustrated.”

• Mike Wallace, whose production has dropped with Brown out, said he wasn’t told of his demotion to co-starter by coach Mike Tomlin until he arrived for practice Wednesday. Tomlin told reporters the day before. “It wasn’t that long ago I heard,” Wallace said. “It doesn’t matter (who told him) because I know now.” Wallace had 18 catches in the past three games Brown played; he has eight catches for 48 yards in his most recent three games. He isn’t certain whether he or Emmanuel Sanders will start Sunday. “If I am out there, I will give it everything I’ve got,” Wallace said.

• Rookie right guard David DeCastro is on the active roster for the first time since injuring his right knee Aug. 25 in Buffalo, and he said sitting out for so long was “really difficult.” He expects to be a backup for now.

• Brian Hoyer is ready to go only a week after joining the Steelers. Tomlin said Hoyer’s role, if necessary, could be expanded this week beyond that of emergency quarterback. “I don’t think they would have signed me if they didn’t think I could go in,” said Hoyer, Tom Brady’s former backup in New England. “It’s not like I’m fresh out of college, I’ve been the backup to a pretty good quarterback for three years. When it gets down to it, football is football. The terminology might be different, the schemes might be different, but you’ve got to go out there and play.”

• Running backs coach Kirby Wilson’s reaction to the five fumbles in Cleveland? Beyond anger. “Oh man, he was (ticked),” running back Isaac Redman said. “After (Jonathan) Dwyer’s fumble, Kirby was all out of energy. He just came to the sideline (and said), ‘Y’all going to make me go with (Chris) Rainey! I’m going to do it! I’m not scared to do it! I’m going to do it!’” Rainey indeed went into the game — and fumbled twice as a receiver.

• Nose tackle Casey Hampton’s traditional pregame meal in Baltimore isn’t eaten at the team hotel. It’s served up in a wrapper courtesy of a Ravens fans. “There’s a fan there — I don’t know his name — he brings me a hot dog,” Hampton said. “He takes care of me. That’s my guy.” Doesn’t the oversized Hampton worry his pregame treat might be, uh, tainted? “After I first couple of times, seeing there was nothing wrong with it. … It’s pretty good,” he said. “I eat it plain. I don’t want to upset my stomach too much.”

• Just like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu didn’t talk to reporters Wednesday. Unlike Roethlisberger, he went through a full practice — his first since Oct. 5. Ryan Clark, the other starting safety, expects him to play. Even if Polamalu isn’t 100 percent — his torn calf kept him out for seven games — his presence could provide a lift. “He does a great job of communicating (with) the other defensive backs and getting them all coordinated on the same page. He’s a guy you really have to track,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. One surprising statistic: Polamalu has no interceptions against the Ravens in 14 regular-season games.

http://triblive.com/home/3032963-74/wallace-team-chart-depth-informed-tomlin-doesn-final-maybe-mike#ixzz2DgHwP8jn

are there really any of you out there stupid enough to believe this POS?

cbrunn
12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
The hate on Wallace is strong

WVABE
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
He's afraid of chipping a nail to go out of the way to catch a ball.

ricardisimo
12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
are there really any of you out there stupid enough to believe this POS?
I'm sure you can find a nicer way of phrasing this.

Hawaii 5-0
12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
wow, Mendy's stock just keeps falling.

he is on the inactive list today and didn't even get to dress...

TheVet
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM

By Alan Robinson

"What, not me, I don't have a fumbling problem."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
12-03-2012, 12:39 AM

unless there is an injury to one of the other RBs, Mendy may have played his last game as a Steeler...

ricardisimo
12-03-2012, 06:44 AM

This came up on the forum last year, and as I recall his fumble rate was lower than Bettis', who was mythic in terms of his sure-handedness.

Hawaii 5-0
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
This came up on the forum last year, and as I recall his fumble rate was lower than Bettis', who was mythic in terms of his sure-handedness.

true, but Mendenhall's 2 fumbles against the Browns certainly didn't endear him to MikeTomlin and being on the inactive list against the Ravens even though he was healthy is an ominous sign that Mendy's days as a Steeler are numbered.

steelfury02
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
true, but Mendenhall's 2 fumbles against the Browns certainly didn't endear him to MikeTomlin and being on the inactive list against the Ravens even though he was healthy is an ominous sign that Mendy's days as a Steeler are numbered.

this^ - the guy was supposed to be a staple for the offense, to help take the pressure off Ben. I feel bad he had to endure Bruce Arians - but I think a lot of people have had enough of not really being able to count on him. It would be one thing if we got him in the later rounds - but 1st rounder - expectations are going to be bigger

Hawaii 5-0
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Steelers’ Wallace blames lack of production on concentration lapses

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

How Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has fared the past four weeks:

• vs. Kansas City: 3 catches, 14 yards

• vs. Baltimore: 4 catches, 26 yards

• at Cleveland: 1 catch, 9 yards

• at Baltimore: 5 catches, 44 yards

At times, Mike Wallace appears the perfect fit for the Steelers’ passing game. Then there are moments when the fleet-footed receiver seems adrift mentally, resulting in uncharacteristic drops and lapses in concentration.

“I’ve never been a guy who dropped balls or just lose focus,” Wallace said somewhat apologetically. “The first three years I was always involved, so you just warmed up in games, and you were just into it.

“But when you don’t get the ball for two-and-half quarters, you lose focus. But that’s the type of offense this is. We’re spreading it around, so you’re not going to get as many targets. When you get them, you have to make the best of them.”

Wallace, one of the NFL’s preeminent deep threats, arrived at training camp last season boasting he could eclipse 2,000 receiving yards. But he struggled in Todd Haley’s offense. Over the past four games, he hasn’t totaled a football-field worth of yards: 13 catches for 93 yards.

“When I don’t get the ball for a certain amount of time, I lose focus sometimes,” he said. “It hurts me when it’s time for me to make a play.”

Wallace has endured some difficult stretches. His speed has been negated by double teams and Haley’s willingness to spread the wealth.

“The toughest thing is staying positive through three quarters because you’re not going to get the ball every time,” Wallace said as the team prepares to face San Diego on Sunday at Heinz Field. “You have to be ready to deliver when it comes your way. That’s been the biggest thing I’ve had to learn this year.”

On a team with a trio of standout receivers — Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders — tight end Heath Miller leads the way in receptions (56) and touchdowns (7).

Wallace’s team-high 616 receiving yards are only three more than Miller’s. The numbers are reflective of Wallace’s frustration and far short of his production the previous two seasons, when he had about 1,200 yards receiving.

“We spread the ball around more than we did in the past,” said Wallace, who missed all of training camp because of a contract dispute. “So it’s not one or two people with yards. Nobody’s numbers just jump out.

“If there’s been a play that I haven’t made this year, it’s been in the second or third quarter when I haven’t been getting too many passes ... and I’m losing focus. I get a little frustrated, and that’s the main thing.”

The Steelers will need a focused Wallace as they pursue an AFC playoff berth. It’s a four-game stretch run in which Wallace insists he’s ready to deliver.

“It’ll make me forget about all the stuff that happened in the first (11) games,” Wallace said. “There have been a lot of plays made this year, but a lot of plays have been missed at the same time. I’m used to making big plays, but I’m not getting as many opportunities to make those plays.

“Sometimes I have to remind them not to forget about me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3090560-85/wallace-yards-ball#ixzz2EKpwpIwA

43Hitman
12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Well Mikey, if you want the ball, run crisp routes and catch the damn thing properly. If he wants people to stop squawking he needs to stop dropping.

TheVet
12-07-2012, 02:08 AM

True, but only kinda sorta. He carries the ball in a way that needlessly encourages fumbles, which is a basic flaw in his fundamentals. Mostly he gets away with it. But you'll notice that he fumbles at critical times, times where ball security is paramount. That's not accidental - that's when defensive players are trying their hardest to strip that ball, and Mendy makes an easy target.

Also, look at his record in big games - he's made game-ending fumbles, fumbles that cost us playoff positioning, and probably cost us the Super Bowl vs. GB.

It's just another example that shows football is more than statistics. When you watch the game, you see the flaws. The man dangles the ball out there for no reason; it's just an accident waiting to happen.

ChristianKustomz
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Oh yea! This threads back. Oh how I missed it.

steelfury02
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
1st round RB needs to be counted on to take the pressure off - the fumbling needs to be the least of our concerns - and right now with Mendy, it is a liability, on top of his lack of preparation

austinfrench76
12-07-2012, 01:58 PM
The article on Wallace pretty much seals his fate here in the 'Burgh IMO. He just gave them something to use against him in negotiations, which may not even happen now, when it comes time. There is no way he is a Steeler next year. He also hurt himself with other teams. Not ALL of them. Some dumb ass GM and Owner will buy into him but man, what a dummy! Time to move on. Put WR as a need somewhere in the 1st few rounds of the draft next year.

steelfury02
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
who knows - maybe Wallace is crappy most of the season, then pulls a George Costanza in the playoffs - doing the exact opposite of what he usually does, which is disappearing in huge games

teegre
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
who knows - maybe Wallace is crappy most of the season, then pulls a George Costanza in the playoffs - doing the exact opposite of what he usually does, which is disappearing in huge games

By my count, he owes his team (in dropped passes alone) 7 TDs, 13 first downs, & 500 yards. I'll take that in a four-game play-off run.