PDA

View Full Version : Mock with Wallace 3rd round Comp. Pick

cbrunn
11-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Basically if he leaves we'll get a 3rd round pick compensation pick

1st - Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee
obvious lose Wallace ... all def positions are deep ... why not give Ben a big target and top talent

2nd - Baccari Rambo - FS - Georgia
obvious

3rd - Gerald Hodges - OLB - Penn State
I think he could move inside next to Timmons give us great blitzing, attacking and coverage ILBs

3rd (comp pick) - Kenjon Barner - RB - Oregon
while I disagree with this pick... this is exactly the kind of running back Haley likes

4th - Phillip Thomas - SS - Fresno State
He's responsible for producing 20 turnovers (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery) over his career ... Him and Rambo will give us Turnovers

5th - Abry Jones - DE - Georgia
Hood isn't the answer ... Arby is a massive man and played the 3-4 end at Georgia

6th - Jordan Rodgers - QB - Vandy
brother of Aaron ... i still say bring back Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon but hey

7th - Cody Davis - SS - Texas Tech
Depth and will provide help on special teams as he's fast big and can tackle...not much of a coverage guy ... but hey

tburhans
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I like it if we get a comp pick for wallace. Not sure if i'd want Barner though. Hes fast but we already have rainey for speed. I'd rather get a montee ball or a le'veon bell of a bruiser type back but i like the rest. The rodgers kid could become great i mean hey hes got it in his genes

SteelersCanada
11-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Ball and Bell aren't going to be in the third round. Knile Davis is, though.

cbrunn
11-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I like the Gillsle kid from Flordia ... but Barner is a Haley type of back ...that's why I put him in there

MDSteel15
11-28-2012, 07:06 AM

obvious lose Wallace ... all def positions are deep ... why not give Ben a big target and top talent

obvious

I think he could move inside next to Timmons give us great blitzing, attacking and coverage ILBs

while I disagree with this pick... this is exactly the kind of running back Haley likes

He's responsible for producing 20 turnovers (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery) over his career ... Him and Rambo will give us Turnovers

Hood isn't the answer ... Arby is a massive man and played the 3-4 end at Georgia

brother of Aaron ... i still say bring back Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon but hey

Depth and will provide help on special teams as he's fast big and can tackle...not much of a coverage guy ... but hey

We had Jerrod Johnson and yes PLEASE bring him back! :banging:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I thought we get the 3rd round comp pick in the 2014 draft if Wallace leaves...

cbrunn
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought we get the 3rd round comp pick in the 2014 draft if Wallace leaves...

It might be ... to be honest I'm not sure ... just pretty sure it should be a 3rd round

and thanks I knew it was one of those Johnsons lol

teegre
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM

obvious

If they go WR at 32, I prefer Tavon Austin, WVU.

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 03:38 PM
We don't need a WR in the first round - that's a wasted pick. If Keenan leaves then it has to be either S or CB. WRs a dime a dozen, and while they won't have Wallace's skill, we can find speed later in the draft or in 2014.

cbrunn
11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Tavon Austin is Brown and Sanders 2.0 extra small and quick ... Justin Hunter is a tall receiver, fast, jump out the gym type receiver ...

and SteelersCanada ... while I agree ... but all the Defensive position are super deep in this draft ... and WR aren't a dime a dozen ... Justin Hunter has AJ Green type receiver written all over him...

like Brown and Sanders are good receivers but they're not on that level of the Top Tier ... they're slot receivers ...

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Tavon Austin is Brown and Sanders 2.0 extra small and quick ... Justin Hunter is a tall receiver, fast, jump out the gym type receiver ...

and SteelersCanada ... while I agree ... but all the Defensive position are super deep in this draft ... and WR aren't a dime a dozen ... Justin Hunter has AJ Green type receiver written all over him...

like Brown and Sanders are good receivers but they're not on that level of the Top Tier ... they're slot receivers ...

How can you possibly make that assumption? They haven't even been given the chance to blow the top off because we have Wallace doing that for us. I'm also under the assumption that Wallace is coming back until either he's a) gone or b) we've been told differently. If we're sitting on the clock and someone like Mosley or Jordan is on the board and we take a WR to replace Wallace, I'm going to be pissed.

Also, yes, WR's are a dime a dozen. Great ones aren't, but one doesn't need to be polished to come into this offense and be great. Take one in the mid rounds if Wallace does go, but we have much more pressing needs than WR. OLB and Safety need to be addressed - and CB is Keenan decides to leave.

cbrunn
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
How can you possibly make that assumption? They haven't even been given the chance to blow the top off because we have Wallace doing that for us. I'm also under the assumption that Wallace is coming back until either he's a) gone or b) we've been told differently. If we're sitting on the clock and someone like Mosley or Jordan is on the board and we take a WR to replace Wallace, I'm going to be pissed.

Also, yes, WR's are a dime a dozen. Great ones aren't, but one doesn't need to be polished to come into this offense and be great. Take one in the mid rounds if Wallace does go, but we have much more pressing needs than WR. OLB and Safety need to be addressed - and CB is Keenan decides to leave.

Of course you can always find any player in the middle of the rounds that are good... but less likely ... you can find players anywhere... look at Harrison and Clark were both UFA

the point of being a deep deep defensive draft class is that you can get somebody in the 2nd or 3rd in the same class as the late first rounders

if you look at somebody like Gerald Hodges in the 3rd ... he's a beast ... better in coverage then Mosley or Jordan ... and Hodges is a tackling machine ... and he's also a good blitzer ... and played for a very good defense in Penn State also nicknames LB U

Also if you talking the 6-6 Dion Jordan from Oregon ... that's not the Steelers style ... they don't draft the Tall guys, he's way to tall to play OLB in their Scheme, at least from past players ... i don't remember anybody being that tall

Just like Phillip Thomas in the 4th ... he's just as good as those 1st-2nd round safeties

Hunter is 6'4 runs a 4.4 and can jump out the gym ...

I also agree there are more pressing needs... but just the deepness of the draft at them other positions, makes it easier to take somebody else

I also think Wallace will be back ... this was just for fun and discussion

oh yeah and Lewis will be back too, no ifs and or buts ... unless he follows Wallace somewhere as they grew up together

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Of course you can always find any player in the middle of the rounds that are good... but less likely ... you can find players anywhere... look at Harrison and Clark were both UFA

the point of being a deep deep defensive draft class is that you can get somebody in the 2nd or 3rd in the same class as the late first rounders

if you look at somebody like Gerald Hodges in the 3rd ... he's a beast ... better in coverage then Mosley or Jordan ... and Hodges is a tackling machine ... and he's also a good blitzer ... and played for a very good defense in Penn State also nicknames LB U

Also if you talking the 6-6 Dion Jordan from Oregon ... that's not the Steelers style ... they don't draft the Tall guys, he's way to tall to play OLB in their Scheme, at least from past players ... i don't remember anybody being that tall

Just like Phillip Thomas in the 4th ... he's just as good as those 1st-2nd round safeties

Hunter is 6'4 runs a 4.4 and can jump out the gym ...

I also agree there are more pressing needs... but just the deepness of the draft at them other positions, makes it easier to take somebody else

I also think Wallace will be back ... this was just for fun and discussion

oh yeah and Lewis will be back too, no ifs and or buts ... unless he follows Wallace somewhere as they grew up together

It's not deep in speed rushers or great OLB, contrary to what you might believe. Comparing Hodges to to Mosley is a mistake. CJ Mosley has been consistently excellent every year he's been with Alabama. He commands double teams - even in college - because of his ability. The 'Bama defense is full of absolute monsters, but Mosley is top notch. I'm not going to go into specifics about his ability, but comparing those two is a mistake. If Mosley is on the board when we're picking, it's an absolute must pick - assuming Jordan isn't there. Speaking of Jordan ...

The Steelers aren't going to pass on a player because he's too tall. That's ridiculous. They don't specifically scout guys because of their height, it's the simple fact of the matter that smaller guys make better speed rushers on the outside because they can use their height to their advantage over bigger tackles. Jordan makes up for this "shortcoming" (I use that word reluctantly) by being insanely strong and amazingly quick off the ball. He's 6'7 243 and runs a 4.5. Comparing him to anyone else in the NFL is a mistake, honestly, because I haven't seen anyone with his skillset before in the NFL. Saying the Steelers are going to pass on him because of his height doesn't make any sense. He's stronger and faster than Aldon Smith was coming out of college, but the knock on him is lack of experience at OLB / DE. Give him a year with LeBeau and he's going to be a top 5 ROLB in the NFL.

There's a reason why some guys are first round picks, and others are mid round picks. Phillip Thomas is not as talented as Eric Reid - not even close. Watch an LSU game and tell me Thomas has the same instincts and ability that Reid has. On top of that, Reid plays in a stacked secondary and still has the ability to make plays and find the ball.

I can appreciate your positivity toward guys in the later rounds, but the first two rounds of this draft is chalk full of defensive talent. We can't afford to take an offensive player in the first two rounds with all of the needs we have. Grabbing Jordan / Mosley in the first and someone like Johnson in the second makes an immediate impact and an infusion of youth into this defense.

cbrunn
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
It's not deep in speed rushers or great OLB, contrary to what you might believe. Comparing Hodges to to Mosley is a mistake. CJ Mosley has been consistently excellent every year he's been with Alabama. He commands double teams - even in college - because of his ability. The 'Bama defense is full of absolute monsters, but Mosley is top notch. I'm not going to go into specifics about his ability, but comparing those two is a mistake. If Mosley is on the board when we're picking, it's an absolute must pick - assuming Jordan isn't there. Speaking of Jordan ...

The Steelers aren't going to pass on a player because he's too tall. That's ridiculous. They don't specifically scout guys because of their height, it's the simple fact of the matter that smaller guys make better speed rushers on the outside because they can use their height to their advantage over bigger tackles. Jordan makes up for this "shortcoming" (I use that word reluctantly) by being insanely strong and amazingly quick off the ball. He's 6'7 243 and runs a 4.5. Comparing him to anyone else in the NFL is a mistake, honestly, because I haven't seen anyone with his skillset before in the NFL. Saying the Steelers are going to pass on him because of his height doesn't make any sense. He's stronger and faster than Aldon Smith was coming out of college, but the knock on him is lack of experience at OLB / DE. Give him a year with LeBeau and he's going to be a top 5 ROLB in the NFL.

There's a reason why some guys are first round picks, and others are mid round picks. Phillip Thomas is not as talented as Eric Reid - not even close. Watch an LSU game and tell me Thomas has the same instincts and ability that Reid has. On top of that, Reid plays in a stacked secondary and still has the ability to make plays and find the ball.

I can appreciate your positivity toward guys in the later rounds, but the first two rounds of this draft is chalk full of defensive talent. We can't afford to take an offensive player in the first two rounds with all of the needs we have. Grabbing Jordan / Mosley in the first and someone like Johnson in the second makes an immediate impact and an infusion of youth into this defense.

I like Hodges more then Mosley in any round of the draft ... just my preference I guess

Don't know much about Dion Jordan haven't watched any Oregon games... but i've heard he is a freak of nature ...

And yes I think Phillip Thomas has just as good as instincts as Eric Reid ... I like Rambo better then any safety in the draft though ...

I like Alec Ogletree better then any LB in the draft if he declairs ...

actually a first 3 pics dream of mine ... would be Alec Ogletree then Rambo then Hodges

But we both agree Defense is a need ... and only reason I drafted the WR and RB was because of the Wallace gone thing and extra pick, was just playing around ... I don't want to see any Offense player drafted really

teegre
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Oh, trust me. I know all about Tavon Austin. I've seen most of his games for the past two years. Thus, if a WR is taken at 32, I'd love Austin.

Hunter is great... but... well, simply, I have a man-crush on Austin.

As far as three slot WRs: I'd love to have THREE AB type of WRs on the team.

Pass it 3 yards... and watch them run it for another 15.

SteelersCanada
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
If only TJ Yeldon was draft eligible. Oh my god, is anyone else watching this SEC Championship game? Yeldon is going to be a very, very good running back in the NFL. Yeldon + Rainey as our 1 - 2 punch? That would be amazing.

cbrunn
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
If only TJ Yeldon was draft eligible. Oh my god, is anyone else watching this SEC Championship game? Yeldon is going to be a very, very good running back in the NFL. Yeldon + Rainey as our 1 - 2 punch? That would be amazing.

Lacy or Yeldon ... both are beasts

tburhans
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I was impressed with ogletree, rambo, sean williams as well as john jenkins from georgia. Mosley and millner stood out for alabama on defense and both bama running backs were beast. Lacy will be in the draft but not yeldon yet. And in other games colin klein just tore up texas and montee ball ran wild on nebraska

cbrunn
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I was impressed with ogletree, rambo, sean williams as well as john jenkins from georgia. Mosley and millner stood out for alabama on defense and both bama running backs were beast. Lacy will be in the draft but not yeldon yet. And in other games colin klein just tore up texas and montee ball ran wild on nebraska

It's going to get interesting to see what underclassmen declare ...

see what Dwyer can do the rest of the year as the number 1 ... if he doesn't show much I wouldn't be to mad at Lacy being drafted

teegre
12-02-2012, 01:17 AM

I've been thinking the following for a while:

32 - John Jenkins, NT
64 - Matt Elam, S

[Note: I do not see Elam dropping that far, any longer... but, I've had him tab 64 for nearly a year, and refuse to change it (until draft talks "truly" ramp up).

SteelerinSevern
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe its just me but watching Lacy run yesterday gave me chills. Its the type of RB any team would die for. Someone like him would automatically make the OLine better just because of his run abilities. My question is would you spend a first or second round pick on him? Or go out in free agency and try to nab a all around back like Jones-Drew? I personally would start fresh due to the way Jones-Drew was used and abused in Jacksonville.

SteelersCanada
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Maybe its just me but watching Lacy run yesterday gave me chills. Its the type of RB any team would die for. Someone like him would automatically make the OLine better just because of his run abilities. My question is would you spend a first or second round pick on him? Or go out in free agency and try to nab a all around back like Jones-Drew? I personally would start fresh due to the way Jones-Drew was used and abused in Jacksonville.

Steelers fans - especially on this site - froth at the mouth for another Jerome Bettis. While this is probably unrealistic, this kid is the closest you're going to get to the bus. He takes guys with him when he runs and has the speed and quickness to make big plays. That being said, I don't know if we can spend a second round pick on him because that is what it would take to grab him.

The kid has talent, but this is a deep RB class and we can find quality later on.