PDA

View Full Version : Window shopping for backup QBs

ETL
11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
It's the holiday season so lets do some window shopping

Besides Hoyer, here is a list of experienced backup QBs for us to go after next year:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (I'm pretty sure Buffalo will release him)
Matt Moore (UFA)
Mark Sanchez (who knows?)
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA)
Colt McCoy (not a UFA - will need to trade for him)
Drew Stanton. (UFA)
Rex Grossman (UFA)
David Carr (UFA)
Michael Vick (to be released)
Derek Anderson (UFA)
Chase Daniels (UFA)
Alex Smith (probably will be released / traded if Kapernick plays well)
Kellen Clemens (UFA)
Kevin Kolb (probably will be released)

I personally like Moore, Gradkowski (grew up as an avid Steeler fan), and Vick

We need a better plan than Leftwich and Batch and there is a good chance Ben will miss some games as the year goes by.

steelfury02
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
It's the holiday season so lets do some window shopping

Besides Hoyer, here is a list of experienced backup QBs for us to go after next year:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (I'm pretty sure Buffalo will release him)
Matt Moore (UFA)
Mark Sanchez (who knows?)
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA)
Colt McCoy (not a UFA - will need to trade for him)
Drew Stanton. (UFA)
Rex Grossman (UFA)
David Carr (UFA)
Michael Vick (to be released)
Derek Anderson (UFA)
Chase Daniels (UFA)
Alex Smith (probably will be released / traded if Kapernick plays well)
Kellen Clemens (UFA)
Kevin Kolb (probably will be released)

I personally like Moore, Gradkowski (grew up as an avid Steeler fan), and Vick

We need a better plan than Leftwich and Batch and there is a good chance Ben will miss some games as the year goes by.

Vick is damanged goods, in more ways than one - I really don't want him on the Steelers (both because of my opinion that he is not consistent enough and because of his history - I just can't get past that - sorry if that sounds dumb but that's who I am) . I agree with you on Moore and Gradkowski. Hey - whatta bout Matt Flynn? I bet they'll release him - whaddya think?

ETL
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Vick is damanged goods, in more ways than one - I really don't want him on the Steelers (both because of my opinion that he is not consistent enough and because of his history - I just can't get past that - sorry if that sounds dumb but that's who I am) . I agree with you on Moore and Gradkowski. Hey - whatta bout Matt Flynn? I bet they'll release him - whaddya think?

I think some team will trade for Flynn to be their starter so I didn't put him on the list as an affordable option.

Look for the Jets, Bills, Chiefs and the Cardinals to go after Flynn (but the Seahawks will probably not trade him to the Cards)

Darkstorm05
11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
If Vick is free, it wouldn't surprise me if we took him and dumped Batch. I seem to remember Tomlin doing some kind of PR and mentoring thing with him.

Terminator
11-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Tomlin wanted Vick before, but he has really dropped off this year. Shame. I used to love watching him play.

The only other QB on that list worth a shit is Alex Smith, and he will not be a backup. He will get good money to be a starter.

Darkstorm05
11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I would also scratch Colt McCoy right off. His career was DoA. IMO, it was pointless of the Browns to keep drafting talented young QB's before they had a line to protect them and other pieces in place. They let this kid go out there and get his career bashed clean out of his skull on the field.

Terminator
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I would also scratch Colt McCoy right off. His career was DoA. IMO, it was pointless of the Browns to keep drafting talented young QB's before they had a line to protect them and other pieces in place. They let this kid go out there and get his career bashed clean out of his skull on the field.

Despite the question of whether or not it was dirty, he certainly got a dirt nap from Harrison.

ETL
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM

On the list just for completeness sake but agree with you - low chance that we go after him

TRH
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Great question. I can't even guess at this point what we're going to do.

I think one thing is obvious. Batch will likely 100% be gone and Leftwich probably has about the same chance of staying (slim to none).

So - we'll have to do something. UFA, trade, or take a youngster in the draft, likely middle-to-early rounds if we do. One thing has definitely changed in the NFL - many rookie's are nearly ready to go as soon as they hit the league day 1 - there's no "standing around on the bench watching the veteran for 4 years anymore".

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM

i dunno, i would actually be open to giving the kid a tryout as a backup.

i do like the hoyer pickup, we need some backups that are younger and not 1 hit away from getting smashed (or in leftwich's case, smashed without even getting hit)

Darkstorm05
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Despite the question of whether or not it was dirty, he certainly got a dirt nap from Harrison.

I'm voting it clean, because McCoy tried to leg it out. His choice. However, this is a perfect example, and one that shows a deeper issue. The browns staff scooped the kid off the turf with a spatula, kept him away from medical stuff, and hustled him back out there to get curb stomped some more. They likely knew damned well the team doc would flag him down as concussed, so they shipped him back out instead.

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
No one will want Vick, and Tomlin has already had interest in him. He'd be a perfect backup for Ben, despite his spotty history. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike taking over the reigns for Ben if anything were to happen - he's infinitely better than Byron and Charlie.

Mike Tomlin Wanted Vick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000068990/article/mike-tomlin-eyed-michael-vick-on-pittsburgh-steelers

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't mind Vick as a backup tbh. but tico the steelers dog would predict us to lose by 20000 points every week, can't have that.

Darkstorm05
11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't mind Vick as a backup tbh. but tico the steelers dog would predict us to lose by 20000 points every week, can't have that.

Worst case, Vick could take some heat off our RB corps and their fumble stats.

desertsteel
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I like a guy like Moore. He's proven that he's capable of winning as a starter and he's still young enough to get a few years out of him. Stanton sounds OK too and I wouldn't even mind Grossman as a backup.

MDSteel15
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick - not a bad pick-up if released; smart
Matt Moore (UFA) - not to interested
Mark Sanchez (who knows?) PLEASE NO!!! We have one accused of rape, we don't need one that was arrested for it!
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA) - Love to have him here!
Colt McCoy (not a UFA - will need to trade for him) NO!
Drew Stanton. (UFA) - think this would be an excellent move. He's hungry to play!
Rex Grossman (UFA) - made it to SB but don't think he is the right fit...
David Carr (UFA) - all hype, all bust...
Michael Vick (to be released) NEVER :banging: NEVER :banging: NEVER :banging:
Derek Anderson (UFA) - only if he doesn't have to throw...
Chase Daniels (UFA) - liked him coming out... still don't know why the Deadskins released him!
Alex Smith (probably will be released / traded if Kapernick plays well) - Don't see hime leaving just yet
Kellen Clemens (UFA) - another I just am not impressed with
Kevin Kolb (probably will be released) - Don't see him leaving yet. Skelton isn't the answer...

LVSteelersfan
11-28-2012, 01:42 PM
They picked up the right guy. I think Hoyer will work out as a back up. Saying that Vick will take the pressure off the RBs fumbling the ball is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many TOs that Vick has had this year? Stick a fork in him. He is done. He is toast. None of the others even sounds enticing in any way, shape or form. Maybe Orton will be available. He is better than all of them put together.

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
They picked up the right guy. I think Hoyer will work out as a back up. Saying that Vick will take the pressure off the RBs fumbling the ball is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many TOs that Vick has had this year? Stick a fork in him. He is done. He is toast. None of the others even sounds enticing in any way, shape or form. Maybe Orton will be available. He is better than all of them put together.

I think he was being sarcastic, meaning that vick fumbles so much, that the RB fumbling issues we've had this year would be nothing in comparison

Darkstorm05
11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Saying that Vick will take the pressure off the RBs fumbling the ball is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many TOs that Vick has had this year? Stick a fork in him. He is done. He is toast.

Right. Who's going to come down on some RB for a pair of fumbles when Vick puts up 4 or 5 a game all by himself? See, it's working already.

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Vick can still hit 50+ yard deep balls pretty accurately. He's the best back up on that list by far and I wouldn't mind having him behind Ben. People are knocking him saying he's "done" and "put a fork in him" - he's playing behind a line that was quite possibly worse than what the Steelers were putting out a couple years ago. He's mobile, quick and can make big plays. Ben and Vick would make the best starting / back up situation in the NFL and I don't think we should pass that up because of his history.

LVSteelersfan
11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
How many years can Vick do absolutely nothing before people stop saying he is so good? He sucks royally. Always has. Inconsistent. Injury prone because of his running. I hate him as a person but that has nothing to do with my dislike for him as a player. Besides, does anyone really think that Vick will want to go to a team as a backup? He still thinks he is starter material. Just like McNabb kept thinking he was any good.

zcoop
11-28-2012, 07:14 PM

No QB could survive behind that awful line in Philly. His replacement has the same issue; Running for his life.

NSMaster56
11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
What's Tavaris Jackson's contract status? Wasn't he in the last year of a two-year pact that he signed with Seattle?

Granted, if Buffalo releases Fitzpatrick he may fit into their plans and TJ isn't a 'world beater', but as far as back-ups go he's someone who would fit what the Steelers would be looking for: former starter capable of stepping in for 2-3 games a year and 'game managing'.

He's old enough to know better, young enough to learn a few new tricks and he'd be pretty cheap, too.

casteeler
11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I like the idea of drafting a QB,someone with potential and willing to soak in some Bens knowledge.

ETL
11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
We need a backup who can win games such as Dixon and Batch did in 2010. We are not looking for a guy to replace Ben.

I think Vick will be fine if available and willing. But I like a guy like Gradkowski - even in college.

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
hoyer + draft pick will be fine

teegre
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I like the idea of drafting a QB,someone with potential and willing to soak in some Bens knowledge.

Two years ago, I wanted TJ Yates.

Last year, I wanted Ryan Lindley.

This year, Colin Klein is interesting, but he's mostly just a runner. Zac Dysert has similar measurables... and would be there in R6 (plus, went to he same school as BB). No one excites me this year, but I'd take one of those two.

teegre
11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I say trade for Ryan Lindley.

He has not shown well in his first few starts (lots of picks), but a) he is a rookie and b) his O-line is horrible. Trade a R6 pick for him, and a R6 pick very well might get him, because of his poor performances thus far.

So, why would I want him? I think that he is a BB clone. I watched quite a bit of him at SDSU, and he has a cannon, eludes the pass rush, and is nearly impossible to sack. He is a less-skilled BB, which is perfect for a back-up, especially for a QB that backs up BB.

Again, his performance thus far has more to do with the O-line than it does his own skill set. Heck, Skelton & Kolb already got knocked out (for a few weeks, and for the season, respectively)... so, it would only make sense that a rookie would be throwing picks due to being harassed half of a second after the snap.

casteeler
11-29-2012, 07:19 AM
I say trade for Ryan Lindley.

He has not shown well in his first few starts (lots of picks), but a) he is a rookie and b) his O-line is horrible. Trade a R6 pick for him, and a R6 pick very well might get him, because of his poor performances thus far.

So, why would I want him? I think that he is a BB clone. I watched quite a bit of him at SDSU, and he has a cannon, eludes the pass rush, and is nearly impossible to sack. He is a less-skilled BB, which is perfect for a back-up, especially for a QB that backs up BB.

Again, his performance thus far has more to do with the O-line than it does his own skill set. Heck, Skelton & Kolb already got knocked out (for a few weeks, and for the season, respectively)... so, it would only make sense that a rookie would be throwing picks due to being harassed half of a second after the snap.

The Steelers need a BB type of QB(big,strong and mobile) due to the fact they have trouble keeping linemen healthy.Although Ben holds the ball a heck of a long time

Rockonsteel
11-29-2012, 08:00 AM
I wish we would take a look a Chase Daniels. He's smart and accurate, and has decent arm strength. He's played pretty well in the little time he's gotten to play behind "Lil Big Easy" Drew Brees. I don't know if that's because of the Saints system or what, but if Hoyer shows anything at all, I'd love to sign Daniels and go into camp with those two battling for the b/u job.

Rockon

ETL
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I wish we would take a look a Chase Daniels. He's smart and accurate, and has decent arm strength. He's played pretty well in the little time he's gotten to play behind "Lil Big Easy" Drew Brees. I don't know if that's because of the Saints system or what, but if Hoyer shows anything at all, I'd love to sign Daniels and go into camp with those two battling for the b/u job.

Rockon

I like Chase Daniels since he was in Missouri. Just a little too small but I wouldn't mind him

Rockonsteel
11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I like Chase Daniels since he was in Missouri. Just a little too small but I wouldn't mind him

Yeah, true, that is the one big knock on him is his size. But, he reminds me of Drew in that sense, in that he plays bigger than his stature when he gets in between the lines. I think he'd be a great backup for us.

Rockon

WVABE
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Nobody else likes Derek Anderson huh?

Wouldn't be a bad backup in my eyes.

Mordax
11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Michael Vick (to be released) NEVER :banging: NEVER :banging: NEVER :banging:

Exactly. F that guy. I never want to see that guy in a black and gold uniform...

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Exactly. F that guy. I never want to see that guy in a black and gold uniform...

me neither, I was very disappointed when I first heard that Tomlin was considering bringing in Michael Vick after he got out of prison.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kph7p3qVBE1qz82gvo1_500.jpg

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 04:01 PM

I take this shit serious. It's not funny.

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM

you may need to consider getting glasses or contacts then...

FrancoLambert
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Personally, I could never pull for Vick. Definitely the wrong way to go to improve our backup QB position.
As FA said, Hoyer and the draft is our best option right now.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I just don't think Michael Vick would make for a very good backup QB. You look for somebody who will not necessarily win many games, but won't lose games either. Since he runs so much, he is very prone to turnovers and injuries.

teegre
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
me neither, I was very disappointed when I first heard that Tomlin was considering bringing in Michael Vick after he got out of prison.

Tony Dungy was mentoring Vick. And, via his connections with The Rooneys, Dungy asked for the Steelers to give him a secodn chance.

This was at a juncture when BB had just been accused of rape, and the Steelers had tried to trade him to the Rams (for Sam Bradford). But, they also considered trading BB (drafting either Suh or Berry), and signing Vick.

Whew!!! Dodged a bullet there!!!