PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain anybody???

cbrunn
11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Raiders released him ... Him and Timmons would sure up our ILB for years ... and would take a semi need off the draft board ..

buttttttttt he is a knuckle head and comes with Baggage .... I would sign him though, in a heart beat... let him play special teams and learn how a real team operates ... then bring him back next year if shows he's hungry

Very Low Risk , Very High Reward to me

http://i47.tinypic.com/t0n2td.png

tony hipchest
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
just like babin, he will go on waivers and another team with a higher waiver claim will claim him.

sounds like he's headed down the maybin/gholston avenue to success, anyways.

Fire Haley
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
nah, we're eating shoe leather as it is

did you know Beachum is our starting RT?

cbrunn
11-28-2012, 07:25 PM
nah, we're eating shoe leather as it is

did you know Beachum is our starting RT?

What does that have to do with signing a ILB?? ... they have like 4 on the roster , release one of them and grab him up ...

nothing to do with a RT ... if you want a RT who's available ??? ... i don't see what any of that has to do with McClain

yeah your right Tony somebody with higher waiver will probably claim him first

Fire Haley
11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Like LeBeau would ever have them sign a FA linebacker to come jump in and play his defense..... phhhhthp

you really think so?

If they had any dimes to rub together I'd think they be looking OL first, that's what I say.

Hawaii 5-0
11-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Like LeBeau would ever have them sign a FA linebacker to come jump in and play his defense..... phhhhthp

not to mention that it would take McClain at least two years to learn LeBeau's complicated defensive schemes...

Fire Haley
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
meanwhile.....

Mike Adams is going to be out awhile

Adams has been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=7471&line=249335&spln=1

-------------------------

tape it, rub some dirt on it, be back in 3-4 weeks.....GIGGTY

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Beachum looked better than Adams did.

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? I mean, he was an absolute stud in college. Give him an offseason to learn the book and have him compete for the ILB job. I don't understand this fanbase and our need to sign squeaky clean players - why? If guys are good enough and have truly moved on from their mistakes and have the will and ability to learn and adapt with a new team, why wouldn't we sign a player? Plus, he played for Oakland - the black hole of shit for players but when they come out, they have the chance to play well.

I say we give him a shot and let him, Spence and a draft pick compete for the job. He did play at 'Bama and showed some serious potential while there - there's no reason for us not to bring him in. It's not like the veterans of that locker room would tolerate him if he went back to his old bullshit habits and work ethic.

We're too hard on guys.

edit - Give a 7th rounder for him and see what he can do under a defensive coordinator that knows what he's doing and veteran leadership under guys like Timmons and Woodley. I'm tellin' ya, I don't think he's a huge bust. I think the Steelers could turn him into something.

cbrunn
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? I mean, he was an absolute stud in college. Give him an offseason to learn the book and have him compete for the ILB job. I don't understand this fanbase and our need to sign squeaky clean players - why? If guys are good enough and have truly moved on from their mistakes and have the will and ability to learn and adapt with a new team, why wouldn't we sign a player? Plus, he played for Oakland - the black hole of shit for players but when they come out, they have the chance to play well.

I say we give him a shot and let him, Spence and a draft pick compete for the job. He did play at 'Bama and showed some serious potential while there - there's no reason for us not to bring him in. It's not like the veterans of that locker room would tolerate him if he went back to his old bullshit habits and work ethic.

We're too hard on guys.

edit - Give a 7th rounder for him and see what he can do under a defensive coordinator that knows what he's doing and veteran leadership under guys like Timmons and Woodley. I'm tellin' ya, I don't think he's a huge bust. I think the Steelers could turn him into something.

That's exactly what I'm saying ... if he messes up, you just cut him ... not like he's going to be expensive ... and his potential is through the ceiling

Let him play ST this year (not like we couldn't use the help) ... and let the organization and veterans show him how to be a true professional ... if he shows he's up for it, bring him back

that's very low risk , very high reward

cbrunn
11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
meanwhile.....

Mike Adams is going to be out awhile

Adams has been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=7471&line=249335&spln=1

-------------------------

tape it, rub some dirt on it, be back in 3-4 weeks.....GIGGTY

Yes Killer i agree the Oline needs help ... but what does that have to do with a former stud ILB being released and picked up by this team ( that has a decent need for a ILB after this year)?????? absolutely nothing

not like picking him up would stop them from picking up a Oline if one was available they liked ...

I'm saying drop one of the multiple LB's that don't play and bring aboard somebody that actually has potential to be a stuf

silver & black
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I've said enough about this on the "other site" if any of you care to take a look.

I'll just say............ If you get him, good luck to the Steelers and Rolando. I'm happy to see him gone.

PhantomJB93
11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Mcclain has been pretty much a bust with huge attitude problems. Not exactly the guy I want to bring in.

If anybody could get him to be what he was drafted to be it's LeBeau but it's not worth the baggage he carries.

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Mcclain has been pretty much a bust with huge attitude problems. Not exactly the guy I want to bring in.

If anybody could get him to be what he was drafted to be it's LeBeau but it's not worth the baggage he carries.

What do you mean? I definitely think it's low risk, high reward with him. If he has attitude problems and poor work ethic, it'll be brought to light quickly and it'll make for a quick cut. However, if he's willing to work and play for this defense and lives up to his potential, then we just found our ILB and can save a draft pick fixing the position.

I'm actually curious to know what you mean by saying he might not be worth it. I swear I'm not being a dick even though I know that's how it's coming across. :drink:

PhantomJB93
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
What do you mean? I definitely think it's low risk, high reward with him. If he has attitude problems and poor work ethic, it'll be brought to light quickly and it'll make for a quick cut. However, if he's willing to work and play for this defense and lives up to his potential, then we just found our ILB and can save a draft pick fixing the position.

I'm actually curious to know what you mean by saying he might not be worth it. I swear I'm not being a dick even though I know that's how it's coming across. :drink:

I mean, the guy sounds like a everything we complain about with our own team. Not that the Raiders are a great program but he feels "too good" for his team and gave up on them before even finishing his third season in the league, that's not something I like to see in a player, especially one when it's coming from someone who's done nothing to earn ANY sense of entitlement. He's had trouble with the law and while I can't say for sure, he definitely doesn't come across as someone who works hard or leaves it all on the field, considering he's hardly played up to his draft status.

Everyone's always complaining about Wallace being lazy and giving no effort, or Santonio (or Antonio) being a diva, or Dwyer or Woodley not coming into camp in shape. I don't see why taking all of those bad traits I see complaints about and wrapping them all up into one player who's done next to nothing at the NFL level would make that person someone we should have on this team. If we traded a Super Bowl MVP and are about to let another really talented player who has proven himself go for thinking too much of himself and not giving enough effort, why should we sign this guy?

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I mean, the guy sounds like a everything we complain about with our own team. Not that the Raiders are a great program but he feels "too good" for his team and gave up on them before even finishing his third season in the league, that's not something I like to see in a player, especially one when it's coming from someone who's done nothing to earn ANY sense of entitlement. He's had trouble with the law and while I can't say for sure, he definitely doesn't come across as someone who works hard or leaves it all on the field, considering he's hardly played up to his draft status.

If we traded a Super Bowl MVP and are about to let another really talented player who has proven himself go for thinking too much of himself and not giving enough effort, why should we sign this guy?

You're right. Players that put themselves above the team don't deserve to be playing the game at such a high level, but you have to take into account where he was playing. If he was playing for an organization like the Patriots or Packers this would hold true, but he was playing for the Raiders - an organization known for it's drama. First, he was playing under Davis and that organization and new head coaches every year he was there. That kind of atmosphere isn't exactly the best to bring a rookie into, let alone thrive and live up to his potential. I don't know whether or not it was him putting himself above the team, or just giving up because he was playing on such a poor team. That in it's own right is a problem, but an understandable one.

There were questions of his effort and those were valid - but I find it very difficult to blame him for not leaving it all on the field. He's playing on a defense that lost their one star and traded their picks away for ... Carson Palmer.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too light on him. It just seems like he wanted to get the fuck out of Oakland and seems relieved that he finally is. I think that if he were to come into Pittsburgh under LeBeau - or whoever is coordinator next year - and into a stable defense, he'd thrive. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Fire Arians
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM

you really think so?

If they had any dimes to rub together I'd think they be looking OL first, that's what I say.

like farrior? about mcclain, fuck yeah. but i doubt he will make it to us on the waiver wire.

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 10:55 PM
like farrior? about mcclain, fuck yeah. but i doubt he will make it to us on the waiver wire.

He's going to be released on Thursday. Give up a 2014 7th rounder for him and we'll see what this kid can do.

Sharkissle29
11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Dude pointed a gun to someones head and told them he would kill them.

No thanks to Ray Lewis II

SteelersCanada
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Rolando McClain wants off Oakland Raiders' roster

Linebacker Rolando McClain is lodged in the middle of an Oakland Raiders defense that ranks near the bottom of the NFL in most every major category. He sounds like a man who'd rather be anywhere else.

"Officially no longer an Oakland Raider!!" McClain wrote on his Facebook page Wednesday.

That flaming arrow sat in space for a few seconds before McClain clarified: "Well technically I am," he wrote. "But I'm mentally done. Just waiting on my papers."

Then: "It's out of my hands right now."

Then: "I'm gonna weigh my options. Looking forward to playing for an actual 'team.'"

Then: "I'd like to be anywhere besides here."

Ouch.

NFL Network's exhaustive Ian Rapoport first alerted us to McClain's riff before reporting that the Raiders said McClain is still on the team. The linebacker's representatives say they have not been notified. "McClain, apparently, disagrees," Rap Sheet tweeted.

Not a glowing endorsement of this year's Oakland Raiders, but it goes both ways. If he gets his wish, what team comes running after an average linebacker who airs his dirty laundry inside the walls of Mark Zuckerberg's kingdom?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102337/article/rolando-mcclain-wants-off-oakland-raiders-roster

Yeah, it seemed like he wanted to get out of there quite a bit. Who can blame him, though?

CanuckCurtain
11-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Might be worth a shot if we get one and if price is right:noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Cutting McClain part of Raiders' process

November, 28, 2012
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Rolando McClain was supposed to be different.

He was supposed to break the chain of poor first-round drafting by the Oakland Raiders. Oakland took McClain with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft. It was well received because McClain was expected to be a sure thing. He was a star on a defense of stars for Nick Sabanís Alabama Crimson Tide.

Many teams wanted him. McClain earned immediate kudos for asking for his playbook as soon as he was drafted. He was going to be the anti-JaMarcus Russell.

It went downhill from there.

McClain was not a good NFL player and it seems like his time is up in Oakland before his third NFL season is over. ESPNís John Clayton is reporting McClain will be cut Thursday.

The situation became murky Wednesday when McClain missed practice and the team said it was because of a team-related issue. McClain then took to social media, saying he was no longer a Raider.

McClain never lived up to his billing on the field. He was out of shape, slow and often out of position. He didnít show the instincts expected from a top-10 pick. He was convicted on a gun charge last year, but it was recently overturned on an appeal, according to his attorney.

The new Oakland regime was charged with salvaging McClainís time in Oakland. He didnít make improvements and his playing time dwindled in some games. Now, it is over.

McClain will be the 27th player to leave since new general manager Reggie McKenzie took over. Last week, fellow starting linebacker Aaron Curry was cut.

Changes like this show that the Raiders are rebuilding and patience is needed with the new regime. McKenzie is trying to reconstruct a team with a bad salary cap situation and small draft classes. Getting rid of players who didnít work out like McClain is also part of the process. Perhaps more cuts are on the way.

McClain may be able to salvage his career elsewhere in the right situation. Iím sure some teams will be interested in him. Oakland will hope he is claimed so the rest of his contract is taken on. But that may not be easy. I could see McClain passing through waivers.

Like every NFL team, I think the three other AFC West teams could look at McClain because he can fit in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. But each team will have to decide if trying to salvage McClain is worth its time.

As for Oakland, newly signed veteran Omar Gaither will likely play at middle linebacker for the time being.

Oakland will look for a middle linebacker in the offseason. One target may be Notre Dameís Manti Teío if he is available when Oakland picks in the NFL draft. He is expected to be a top-five pick. Oakland is currently on pace to pick fourth. Teío is considered a canít miss prospect.

Sound familiar?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51820/cutting-mcclain-part-of-raiders-cleansing-process

steelfury02
11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Steelers players aren't gods - so let's not pretend like they don't have skeletons in the closet -

Anyone remember this guy? The almighty Rooneys bailed his criminal ass out, among other accused or convicted players. This lunatic has an effin' arrow on his head. An arrow. "BUT HE'S NOT STEELER MATERIAL!" Bull-shite. The guy isn't worth it because he too much of an ass behind closed doors.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WoIE9xf9-Jo/S8fi5GVR49I/AAAAAAAABD8/9-mHKLHraig/s1600/Ernie+Holmes.jpg

Fire Haley
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
like farrior? .

Farrior had a whole offseason to prepare - I thought you meant you wanted this guy to step in and play tomorrow

Rick5895
11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
We have, IMO, a pretty good ILB on IR right now. If Sean Spence can comeback from his injury I would rather have him than McLain. That all being said if he comes cheap why not take a chance on him. He could play specials.

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
We have, IMO, a pretty good ILB on IR right now. If Sean Spence can comeback from his injury I would rather have him than McLain. That all being said if he comes cheap why not take a chance on him. He could play specials.

I think Spence and McClain should battle it out in the offseason for the position. Even if Spence wins it, it'll push him to become a better ILB knowing that there's a former 8th overall pick gunning for his job.

If we pass on this guy because he has a bad history, then we should cut Ta'amu right now.

Terminator
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Steelers players aren't gods - so let's not pretend like they don't have skeletons in the closet -

Anyone remember this guy? The almighty Rooneys bailed his criminal ass out, among other accused or convicted players. This lunatic has an effin' arrow on his head. An arrow. "BUT HE'S NOT STEELER MATERIAL!" Bull-shite. The guy isn't worth it because he too much of an ass behind closed doors.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WoIE9xf9-Jo/S8fi5GVR49I/AAAAAAAABD8/9-mHKLHraig/s1600/Ernie+Holmes.jpg

I've never heard anything bad about Dermonte Dawson. What did he do?

steelfury02
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I've never heard anything bad about Dermonte Dawson. What did he do?

you being serious? I can't tell. Lol. For anyone that seriously doesn't know - yes, Ernie Holmes had that number as well.

Terminator
11-29-2012, 11:33 AM
you being serious? I can't tell. Lol. For anyone that seriously doesn't know - yes, Ernie Holmes had that number as well.

:hatsoff::tt02:

fansince'76
11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
McClain never lived up to his billing on the field. He was out of shape, slow and often out of position. He didn’t show the instincts expected from a top-10 pick.

Yeah, just what the Steelers need. And his asking price is sure to be artificially inflated to boot thanks to his being a "can't miss" top-10 pick.

Pass.

fansince'76
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? I mean, he was an absolute stud in college. Give him an offseason to learn the book and have him compete for the ILB job. I don't understand this fanbase and our need to sign squeaky clean players - why?

It's funny, because I don't understand the part of this fanbase that insists on trying to sign every player that gets cut from another team if they have any semblance of a "name," irregardless of the circumstances that led to their release to begin with. Vince Young was a "stud" in college as well and we certainly have a need in the QB department as the last two games will attest - should we go after him too? This guy coasted on his ability at Alabama - that doesn't get it at the NFL level, as he's finding out.

LVSteelersfan
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Every time someone gets cut the "we have to sign this guy" people come out of the woodwork. There is a snowball's chance in hell that they are going to go after this guy. They like to bring defensive players up from the draft and let them learn from the bench for a couple of years. Free agents rarely come to this team except in extreme emergency situations like Hoyer and Plax.

cbrunn
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Every time someone gets cut the "we have to sign this guy" people come out of the woodwork. There is a snowball's chance in hell that they are going to go after this guy. They like to bring defensive players up from the draft and let them learn from the bench for a couple of years. Free agents rarely come to this team except in extreme emergency situations like Hoyer and Plax.

Not like he would take a STARTERS position... the point is to gather as much talent as can be ...

right now you have Brandon Johnson and Adrian Robinson as backups according to Steelers.com depth chart... Brandon Johnson is a career backup and always will be ... Adrian Robinson is a practice squad player that we could sign back to the practice squad, nobody would sign him...

McClain has potential to be a STUD ILB... so you bring him in to be emergency BACKUP and play ST... untill next year....

that gives the rest of the season to evaluate him, and his head, and his willingness to be apart of a "real team"

and gives him the rest of the season and off season to learn the playbook and schemes

I just don't see whats wrong with wanting to stack your team with as much talent as possible...

Brandon Johnson if I'm not mistaking was cut by the BROWNS or BENGALS and we brought him in in the off season... so he wasn't good enough to be on the BROWNS or BENGALS but he's good enough for the STEELERS????

(not aimed at you specifically but just in general) some of you fans need to get off your high horse... the oh were to good of an organization and/or team ...

and the don't bring in Free Agents is a myth ... yes your tight they don't bring in highlt touted FAs ... but they bring in players

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
It's funny, because I don't understand the part of this fanbase that insists on trying to sign every player that gets cut from another team if they have any semblance of a "name," irregardless of the circumstances that led to their release to begin with. Vince Young was a "stud" in college as well and we certainly have a need in the QB department as the last two games will attest - should we go after him too? This guy coasted on his ability at Alabama - that doesn't get it at the NFL level, as he's finding out.

Comparing VY to McClain is apples and oranges. It looked like early on in his career that Rolando wanted to learn and wanted to give everything he had, but Oakland eventually got to him and he stopped caring. That's a problem in and of itself, but it's an understandable one. Look at the situation Oakland is in right now and tell me that it's a great place for a rookie to go and thrive and live up to his potential.

I'm not saying we should 'go and sign every player that gets cut' but we have a need at ILB and this kid was a stud in college. Again, why wouldn't we at least give him a shot in the offseason and let him show what he can do under a defensive coordinator and head coach that knows what they're doing. It doesn't make sense not to bring someone in because of a rocky history and/or he struggled with another team.

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
It doesn't make sense not to bring someone in because of a rocky history and/or he struggled with another team.

Jerome Bettis would never have worn a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform if we hadn't taken that chance.

fansince'76
11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Jerome Bettis would never have worn a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform if we hadn't taken that chance.

What chance? Bettis was an All-Pro his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl his first two years and requested a trade after the 1995 season due to the Rams shifting to a pass-oriented offense. Big difference.

fansince'76
11-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Comparing VY to McClain is apples and oranges. It looked like early on in his career that Rolando wanted to learn and wanted to give everything he had, but Oakland eventually got to him and he stopped caring. That's a problem in and of itself, but it's an understandable one. Look at the situation Oakland is in right now and tell me that it's a great place for a rookie to go and thrive and live up to his potential.

I dunno - screams "attitude problem" to me. There are plenty of blue chip college prospects that go to bad teams and flourish anyway.

tony hipchest
11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? .

for the same reason we didnt take a shot at aaron maybin, aaron curry, vernon gholston (all players steelerfans were sporting woodys for when they were drafted)-

their resume is on tape and the tape says they SUCK. they are liabilities. no thanks.

many others have tried to coach the suck out of them and have failed.

we might as well bring back thaddeus gibson or bruce carter and see if they dont suck no more,

or better yet, keep sylvester stevenson another year and see if he sucks any less (he wont).

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
What chance? Bettis was an All-Pro his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl his first two years and requested a trade after the 1995 season due to the Rams shifting to a pass-oriented offense. Big difference.

Jerome Bettis needed a chance of scenery after his numbers and productivity fell to only 637 yards rushing in 1995.

Rolando McClain had 99 tackles his rookie season, maybe he also can benefit from a change of scenery. and don't forget, McClain is still only 23 years old.

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
their resume is on tape and the tape says they SUCK. they are liabilities. no thanks.

What's the worst that can happen? Let's be realistic here - he gets claimed by the Steelers and he plays special teams the rest of the season. In the offseason if he doesn't show he's capable of competing for the ILB position and Spence (or a draft pick) make a fool out of him, he's cut. On the flip side, if LeBeau - or whoever is coordinator - can tap into that 'Bama player that was dominate in college, then we just found our next ILB to play alongside Timmons. I don't see what the big deal is here - it's low risk, high reward.

tony hipchest
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Jerome Bettis needed a chance of scenery after his numbers and productivity fell to only 637 yards rushing in 1995.

.they didnt exactly "fall". the rams were bottom feeding idiots and switched him to fullback, while he knew he was a feature running back.

they drafted lawrence phillips. jerome is on the pro football hOF ballot.

it took the rams 4 years and new mgmt and coaching staff to go out and trade their own 2nd round pick to correct the mistake (marshall faulk).

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
they didnt exactly "fall". the rams were bottom feeding idiots and switched him to fullback, while he knew he was a feature running back.

Bettis held out of training camp looking for a new contact before the 1995 season began which did not endear him to Rams management and head coach Rich Brooks.

Bettis' fall in production in 1995 was because of reduced playing time and a bum foot, the Rams didn't ask him to play fullback full time until after the 1995 season was over.

yes, Rich Brooks was an idiot and so was Bam Morris for getting busted with that much weed and cocaine in a traffic stop. but it's funny how life works sometimes, it took all of those events for Bettis to get traded to Pittsburgh and I'm glad because he will always be one of my all-time favorite Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ricco Suavez
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
If LeBeau sees anything in him you can bet the team would take a flyer on him, now if we do not get the chance or we pass on him then you can bet that he is not right for our team. LeBeau does not miss on many, he has a few, but not many.

Fire Haley
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
So Rolando McClain wasn’t waived today, what does that mean?

It means the Raiders are probably trying to see if they can suspend linebacker Rolando McClain for his “actions” this week. And if they can’t, then Oakland will finally make it official and waive its starting middle linebacker.

What McClain’s actions were nobody is saying, but Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Thursday that “there’s going to be consequences to his actions.”

McClain was not on the waiver wire Thursday but Allen said the team asked him not to come to practice

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012/11/29/so-rolando-mcclain-wasnt-waived-today-what-does-that-mean/

---------------------

so which coach did he punch?

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Rolando is costing himself a lot of $, he's making $970,000 this season and was scheduled to make $4,005,000 in 2013 and $5,805,000 in 2014.

Fire Haley
11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
So much for all that...

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Raiders will suspend MLB Rolando McClain for conduct detrimental to the team.

McClain won't be cut -- for now -- although we still suspect we've seen the last of him in a Raiders uniform.

The Raiders have yet to specify the exact nature of McClain's insubordination. The suspension is for "conduct detrimental to the team."

Due more than $4 million in 2013, McClain has no offseason trade value.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/249620/raiders-suspend-insubordinate-mlb-mcclain

Kingmagyar
11-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Seems to me he was a square peg in oakland trying to fit a round hole. He was made to play the 3-4 defense and that is where his comfort level is. 3 defenses in 3 years hasn't helped him along with the cracy organization which is the oakland raiders either.

From Walter Football draft report

Rolando McClain Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Huge frame for ILB
Very long arms
Good level of production
Comfortable in coverage
Excellent tackling technique
Stacks and sheds blocks well
Very good pass rusher
Love his timing on blitzes
Nice agility; smooth change of direction
Highly experienced
Takes good angles to the ball
Stays in control
Nice versatility especially in 3-4 defense
Vocal leader
Intelligent
Very young prospect (20 years old)
Doesn't take plays off
Outstanding instincts
Well versed in 3-4 defense

Weaknesses:
Unimpressive speed
Overpursues against run
Questionable 4-3 inside linebacker
Average sideline-sideline range
Good, but not an exceptional athlete
Could be exposed in man scheme
Doesn't have huge upside
A little uncomfortable in space

Summary: I really don't think McClain is a 4-3 inside linebacker. The speed and lateral range just isn't there for me, and I think he would be exposed because he will overpursue gaps. McClain is great for 3-4 teams because he can play inside, but also move over to the outside if needed temporarily. His best fits are at 3-4 inside linebacker and 4-3 strongside linebacker. McClain is a solid prospect who will likely come off the board in the top 20 picks.

Player Comparison: Bart Scott. Scott has great instincts and size, and is a leader at inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

and from Bleacher Report

With the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders selected Rolando McClain from Alabama, and he has now been released (via ESPN).

While McClain has shown flashes of being the star he was in college, he has not validated being a top 10 draft pick. His best year was 2011 when he made 99 tackles and five sacks.

With a new regime in Oakland, McClain has seen his playing time diminished because he was too slow to be a sideline-to-sideline linebacker and he was coming off the field in the nickel defense.

Not only was McClain demoted in terms of playing time, but he also lost the "green sticker" helmet which is used to communicate with the sideline in the huddle. That sticker is referred to as being the quarterback of the defense; a role the middle linebacker should have.

Gone with McClain are his off-field issues back home in Alabama. He has gotten into legal trouble twice since being drafted in 2010. Most recently he posted on his Facebook that he was done in Oakland only to later delete the post. The Raiders won't miss the drama that comes with McClain.

It may be too early to give up on McClain. This was just his third NFL season. Not to mention that he has gone through a new defense every year in his Raider career from John Marshall to Chuck Bresnahan to Dennis Allen and Jason Tarver. How can we expect consistency from McClain when we don't even get consistency on the sideline?

Conclusion

I would hate to see McClain get picked up by another team only for him to turn out to be the star he was in college. Reggie McKenzie let go of Stanford Routt who went on to the Chiefs only to be cut by them in his first season with the team. Lets hope McKenzie got it right again by cutting McClain.

truesteelerfan
11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd sign him - Oakland is known for messing things up - low risk for us, if he screws things up again - cut him. He's the kind of guy that if we don't try to sign, I see us having to play against him in cincy or balt.

FrancoLambert
11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
With is "bloodline" and "pedigree" he's worth a look.
He was rated highly coming into the NFL, but maybe Oakland screwed him up
Oh wait......they beat us.

Hawaii 5-0
11-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Beginning of the end for McClain?

November, 30, 2012
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

The two-day saga involving LB Rolando McClain is over for the Oakland Raiders, and the disappointing former first-round pick remains with the team.

This issue is probably the beginning of the end for McClain in Oakland, who has been a problem on and off the field.

The Raiders announced Friday morning that McClain has been suspended for two games for conduct detrimental to the team. He can come back Dec. 10. The issue began Wednesday when Oakland coach Dennis Allen said McClain did not practice because of a team-related issue. There was a report that said Allen and McClain had a heated exchange early in practice and McClain was ordered off the field. Other reports suggested the discussion was not heated. McClain was not on the field Thursday.

McClain went on his Facebook page Wednesday and said he was no longer a Raider, and wrote that he wanted to play for a ďreal team.Ē That did not please teammates, and if McClain ever does get back into the Oakland locker room, it may be a cold place for him.

The Raiders clearly considered cutting McClain -- the No. 8 pick of the 2010 draft -- but opted for this suspension. There is a feeling around the team that taking this route will be tougher on McClain rather than cutting him now.

If McClain really wants to move on, the last thing the Raiders want to do is give him an opportunity to be claimed or to sign with a playoff contender.

McClain could be released when his suspension is over, or he could be buried on the bench for the final three games of the season. Oakland could then jettison him in the offseason.

Oakland now turns over the middle linebacker spot to recently signed Omar Gaither and adds the position to a long list of offseason needs. It is good for the team to have some clarity on McClain even if the final move has yet to be made.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51881/beginning-of-the-end-for-mcclain

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Oakland Raiders' Rolando McClain can seek trade

By Jerry McDonald
jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.com

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain has been given permission to seek a trade out of Oakland, according to an NFL Network report.

It has been clear that since McClain's suspension last season for conduct detrimental to the team -- which occurred after he learned he was losing his starting job to Omar Gaither -- that the first-round draft pick in 2010 was not in their plans.

It has become even more apparent this offseason, with the Raiders signing linebackers Kaluaka Maiava, Nick Roach and Kevin Burnett in free agency to go along with 2012 weak side starter Miles Burris.

Dealing McClain is a difficult proposition. He is due a salary of more than $4 million and has had problems off the field. In theory, McClain could accept a trade at a reduced salary.

If McClain's agent cannot find a suitable trade partner, the three-year veteran will be released with a salary cap hit at a reported $7 million.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_22823990/raiders-rolando-mcclain-can-seek-trade

-- Ya, I'm resurrecting this idea. Look, what's the worst thing that can happen if we were to give up a 7th round pick for him at a reduced salary? He comes into training camp and if he does have a changed attitude and a new outlook on football when he's not under that clusterfuck in Oakland, he could turn into a great Linebacker.

If he comes to camp the same immature prick, he gets cut and we move on.

With Sean Spence's career now in jeopardy, I don't feel comfortable with Larry Foote having the reigns for this year, let alone multiple years after this. We need a younger guy that can play with LT and be effective and, if we can tap into the talent he had at Alabama, we could get ourselves a gem. This move is such a low risk / high reward that we'd be stupid not to at least consider it.

pete74
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't like his attitude but I would take a chance on him if all we gave up was a 6th or 7th rounder

Steeler7BR
03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
I would be ok with trading for him for something like a 6th or 7th round pick. I think we have to spend a pick on a MLB in the draft anyway, so why not bring a proven NFL player in. Don't know how good he is but he seems to be a solid starter for all his NFL career so he should be alright. Of course only if the cap hit isn't too much. I think for under 2 mil it's considerble.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
It would just seem like a move that would make a lot of sense. A 7th round pick is going to be a project pick anyway and his chances of making the roster would be questionable at best - just like McClain's would be. Essentially, we'd be giving up a 7th round pick for the potential of a 1st round pick if he changes his attitude and work ethic.

I'd love to see this happen but I doubt it does, sadly. I'd think his cap hit would be around 1 million anyway which would provide depth and, again, a chance at landing a legitimate starter next to LT. Make it happen Mike and friends!

Steelers5895
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I look at high draft picks who are busts, I look at the team they are on. The Raiders have been a mess asan origanization so I am confident they didnt give him the guidance on or off the field to be a great player.

He has the skill set. He would be worth a 6th rounder if he renegotiates.

issue is...Raiders never trade with Steelers and if they did Al Davis would turn over in his grave.

we can hope he gets cut.

pete74
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I look at high draft picks who are busts, I look at the team they are on. The Raiders have been a mess asan origanization so I am confident they didnt give him the guidance on or off the field to be a great player.

He has the skill set. He would be worth a 6th rounder if he renegotiates.

issue is...Raiders never trade with Steelers and if they did Al Davis would turn over in his grave.

we can hope he gets cut.

I agree with your first part. Take Hood for example, he isn't playing great for us but you switch him to a team like the Giants and he may be a pro bowl DT.

CanuckCurtain
04-06-2013, 12:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157860/article/rolando-mcclain-released-by-oakland-raiders

Worth a look?

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
the price must be right. worth a look, especially if it gives us more options going into the draft

ebsteelers
04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
with the way we are with free agents and our cap problem, will be lucky if we can afford a plane ticket over let alone signing him to any deals

CanuckCurtain
04-06-2013, 01:13 PM
The Steelers right price:chuckle: doubt he would go for it but worth a shot

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
the last time we signed a free agent linebacker that was an 8th overall pick and considered a bust -- Farrior!

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
the last time we signed a free agent linebacker that was an 8th overall pick and considered a bust -- Farrior!

Oh damn, I didn't know he was 8th overall. Nice catch.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Does Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin Still Want Fomer Raiders LB Rolando McClain?
Friday, April 5th, 2013 at 10:56 pm by Dave Bryan

As soon as the Oakland Raiders waived linebacker Rolando McClain on Friday, I knew that several people would be hollering for the Pittsburgh Steelers to go after him.

A lot of the hollering for McClain by the fanbase stems from an article that Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News wrote back in December of 2009, right before Alabama played Florida.

Scabinsky wrote that then-Tennessee assistant coach Lance Thompson, who coached the Alabama linebackers during McClainís first two college seasons, said that Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who spoke at Tennesseeís spring clinic that year, asked him about McClain and asked him to give the linebacker a message the next time they spoke.

What was the message? "Tell him (McClain) he can be my Mike linebacker any day."

Ever since McClain was drafted eighth overall by the Raiders in 2009, he has been a huge disappointment both on and off the field. On the field, the former Butkus Award winner has registered just 6Ĺ sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 41 games since he was drafted. He has also been a huge liability in pass coverage.

Off the field, McClain has had a few run-ins with the law, as he was arrested this past January for the second time in just over a year for giving a false name to law enforcement while being stopped for a window tint violation. Previous to that incident, he was charged and found guilty of pointing a gun at a man and firing off a round next to his head. It should be noted, however, that those charges were eventually dropped after the victim told prosecutors he no longer wanted to pursue the case.

Late last November, McClain was suspended by Raiders head coach Dennis Allen for two games for conduct detrimental to the team after the two got into an argument during a practice. McClain immediately took to his Facebook page to air some dirty laundry.

"Officially no longer an Oakland Raider!!" McClain followed that up with another post. "Well technically I am. But Iím mentally done. Just waiting on my papers. Iím gonna weigh my options. Looking forward to playing for an actual 'team.' "

Those comments were then reportedly quickly deleted from the page not long after they were posted.

McClain played in a 3-4 defense while at Alabama, and many believe that is the type of system that he belongs in.

So does Tomlin still feel the same way about McClain that he felt four years ago? Last season, during his Tuesday press conference prior to the Week 3 game against the Raiders, Tomlin, who normally goes out of his way to make every player on the opposition sound like a Pro Bowler, didn't have much to say about McClain when he got to him in his rundown.

"Their (Raiders) linebacker core - McClain is of course a first rounder out of Alabama," said Tomlin. "Talented young guy."

That was all Tomlin had to say about McClain before moving on to mention fellow Raiders linebacker Philip Wheeler and the rest of the players on the defense.

So was Tomlin's comments back in 2009 just lip service? If they were genuine, you would have to think that the Steelers head coach would be chomping at the bit to try every means possible to get McClain in Pittsburgh.

If by some chance, Tomlin actually still wanted McClain, the Steelers lack of cap space likely wouldn't allow it. With less than three weeks to go before the draft takes place, the Steelers have less than $2 million in cap space at their disposal. McClain was scheduled to earn $4.005 million in 2013, $5.805 million in 2014 and $2.665 million in 2015, so you can forget about the Steelers, or any other team for that matter, putting in a waiver claim for him. Should McClain clear waivers, he will become a free agent and at that point can sign with any team.

Do you think that McClain would be willing to take a very small two or three-year contract play in Pittsburgh? Also, do you think that he would be willing to back up Larry Foote for a season and play on special teams?

I don't.

McClain is a cancer who has yet to excel both on and off the field. After all the supposed problems that the Steelers had last year in their locker-room, do you really think that they would want to add a player such as McClain to the team?

I don't.

Sure, anything is possible; I suppose, but I for one would be surprised if Tomlin still wants McClain to be his Mike linebacker.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/mike-tomlin-raiders-rolando-mcclain-steelers-linebacker/

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I think just about anybody that has to play for the raiders eventually wants out of there. Look at Carson Palmer, the guy liked being in Cinci much longer than the situation in Oakland.

If we had the $, I would not have a problem with bringing in McLain. I just dont see it happening. The steelersdepot article calling him "a cancer" is purely opinion and the guy might thrive in a better organization.

Rabbit
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Keep in mind this is a guy who signed his name as "Fuck Y'all" when he received a traffic ticket, and held a man at gunpoint and fired off a round next to his head in the offseason. I'm pretty sure the character concerns are more than an opinion at that point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind this is a guy who signed his name as "Fuck Y'all" when he received a traffic ticket, and held a man at gunpoint and fired off a round next to his head in the offseason. I'm pretty sure the character concerns are more than an opinion at that point.

Yeah, but if you use the millidgeville logic that is applied here........."that never happened because all the charges were dropped".

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Sign him cut foote

OX1947
04-06-2013, 08:32 PM

hahahahhahahahahahhaha, that's some funny shit.

VaDave
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
The problem with McClain isn't that he may be a bad character, is just that his propensity for being a nasty sort, does not translate to football game aggression...... All indications are he's pretty passive on the field.

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 09:18 AM
McClain is a two-down inside linebacker with next to no coverage ability and has off-field issues, but he's a serviceable run defender and is only 23 years old.

so he's a young Foote with attitude

Galax Steeler
04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I would take a chance on him if we could sign him at a decent price.

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? I mean, he was an absolute stud in college..

heh, you said 'shot'

On January 27, 2011, a vehicle being driven by Rolando McClain was shot at while McClain was in his hometown of Decatur, Alabama. No one was hurt and police are unsure if the shooter knew that the car belonged to McClain.He later fired multiple shots at the police.

On December 1, 2011, McClain was arrested by Decatur police and charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors for a shooting incident that occurred the night before.

On May 17, 2012, McClain was found guilty on all counts, ordered to pay a $500 fine for each charge, totaling $2,000, and sentenced to spend 45 days in jail for each charge, 180 in total. He was freed on bond, and will begin serving his sentence on June 1. On November 18, 2012, while the case was on appeal, the charges were dismissed by the Judge after the victim decided not to press charges. According to lawyers involved, a financial settlement was reached between McClain and the victim.

On January 8, 2013 McClain was arrested by Decatur Police in Morgan County after an officer pulled him over for a window tint violation. McClain provided the officer with a false name and he was arrested and booked into the Decatur City Jail. McClain bonded out of jail later that day.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/files/2011/12/Raiders_McClain_Football-ALDEC201-0.JPG.jpeg

but hey, his belt matches his phone cover, that should count for something

pete74
04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
There are a ton of college studs that end up being busts in the NFL and he is one of them. He's very talented but will never have his head in the game especially since he has money now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2013, 11:38 AM
There are a ton of college studs that end up being busts in the NFL and he is one of them. He's very talented but will never have his head in the game especially since he has money now.

Maybe not, or maybe he is on the Chris Carter path. Carter got his act together after being cut by the Eagles and went onto a hall of fame career with the Vikings. The guy was an alcoholic prima donna.

Maybe McLain can get his crap together or not. The Steelers staff, scouts, etc will do their research if needed.

bornaSteelersfan
04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
The man has talent but poor work ethic and an obvious problem with authority. Let him go to The Bengals. They like to hire thugs.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks but no thanks, I was reaaly big on Rainey and I see where that got me. No way would I take a chance on him, hell if McClain why not Harrison, he comes minus the law troubles, but then that will never happen so I would say NO!

Hawaii 5-0
04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
trouble off the field and not productive on the field = no thanks!

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I have that belt. Not too sure what that says about me, but hey.

Look, Harrison's was right (either in this thread or another) - Farrior was regarded as a bust too until we picked him up. He had his trouble off the field but again, the worst thing that can happen is he comes here and gets cut in training camp. Let the dude fight for a spot on the roster and if his attitude and mindset have changed, we might be able to tap into that talent pool he had at Alabama.

Give the kid a shot.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
trouble off the field and not productive on the field = no thanks!

This!!!

harrison'samonster
04-07-2013, 03:56 PM

Look, Harrison's was right (either in this thread or another) - Farrior was regarded as a bust too until we picked him up. He had his trouble off the field but again, the worst thing that can happen is he comes here and gets cut in training camp. Let the dude fight for a spot on the roster and if his attitude and mindset have changed, we might be able to tap into that talent pool he had at Alabama.

Give the kid a shot.

i agree. Seriously, if it were up to all of us, none of these players would have any trouble, but we can't get that. Personally I'd love it if they were all perfect off the field.

If the Steelers take a look and say no thanks, I wouldn't be upset. But if they want to give a player like this a chance, I would defer to their judgement. Didn't one of our favorites stick a gun into the mouth of his own 12 year old son? The players are human, and that doesn't say much for them.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 03:56 PM

Give the kid a shot.

You know maybe under Cowher, no way under Tomlin, too many off-field issues and the approach that the coaching staff and FO has taken no to mention all the risks, no way, too much of a liability. Not to mention, the money spent and the cap space, he is worth passing on!

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
You know maybe under Cowher, no way under Tomlin, too many off-field issues and the approach that the coaching staff and FO has taken no to mention all the risks, no way, too much of a liability. Not to mention, the money spent and the cap space, he is worth passing on!

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're getting at the fact that Tomlin is a "players coach" and wouldn't be hard on him, I disagree. Look at our (sad sack) Running Backs earlier this year. He sat every single 'Back on our roster because they fumbled or were ineffective. I don't think Tomlin would put up with his shit.

I disagree that he's a liability. If he really is intent on growing up and maturing, both on and off the field, then we could be the right organization to help him do so. I think that with the locker room issues that happened last year, no one on that defense would be willing to put up with a guy that was causing issues. Again. I think the younger guys on this team are finally starting to step up and help become leaders which wouldn't allow someone like McClain to stir things up.

I doubt he'll get a lot of money from any team. I don't think our lack of cap space would be a problem.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're getting at the fact that Tomlin is a "players coach" and wouldn't be hard on him, I disagree. Look at our (sad sack) Running Backs earlier this year. He sat every single 'Back on our roster because they fumbled or were ineffective. I don't think Tomlin would put up with his shit.

I disagree that he's a liability. If he really is intent on growing up and maturing, both on and off the field, then we could be the right organization to help him do so. I think that with the locker room issues that happened last year, no one on that defense would be willing to put up with a guy that was causing issues. Again. I think the younger guys on this team are finally starting to step up and help become leaders which wouldn't allow someone like McClain to stir things up.

I doubt he'll get a lot of money from any team. I don't think our lack of cap space would be a problem.

Cowher never really had the "problem children" Tomlin and the FO have been willing to take on. Notice in this case I have included the FO because they are as much to blame as Tomlin. If you look at Holmes, Rainey Ta'amu (SP) and the lack of work ethic some have displayed like Woodley, Wallace, Mendenhall (to name a few) have displayed then in this case I would say NO!

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I have that belt.

of course you do, and the matching purse too

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
of course you do, and the matching purse too

With the cellphone case. It's a matching set.

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
With the cellphone case. It's a matching set.

that must look pretty snazzy with your sealskin coat and mukluks

desertsteel
04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Cowher never really had the "problem children"

N Davenport, R Seigler, B Brooks, D Townsend, S Holmes, T Essex, M Smith and P Burress all arrested under Cowher's watch - just in 2000's.

What were you saying???

EDIT: btw, Holmes and Burress each twice.

Fire Haley
04-08-2013, 07:01 AM
speaking of pass rushers - how the mighty have fallen, James Harrison gets snubbed again

The Browns have "no interest" in free agent OLB James Harrison.

Neither does anyone else. The Browns were one of many teams Harrison said he would "love" to play for upon getting released, but they have no interest in signing one of their long-time tormenters

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

------------------

It's OK James - just come crawling back for vet minimum - - and bring Max with you

Bayz101
04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
speaking of pass rushers - how the mighty have fallen, James Harrison gets snubbed again

Neither does anyone else. The Browns were one of many teams Harrison said he would "love" to play for upon getting released, but they have no interest in signing one of their long-time tormenters

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

------------------

It's OK James - just come crawling back for vet minimum - - and bring Max with you

Just like several other teams, the Steelers have stated they have NO interest in bringing Harrison in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67817/report-steelers-not-interested-in-harrison

Fire Haley
04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Just like several other teams, the Steelers have stated they have NO interest in bringing Harrison in.

it's early yet - wait till August

Lokki
04-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Neither does anyone else.

He did bring 2 random Facebook fans of his to see Evil Dead with him... So someone still has interest in him... though no one with enough money to pay his salary. Plus HE had to pay for them. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
alas, Steelers now have less than $2M in cap space - I've resigned myself to the idea we aren't gonna sign anybody

Bane
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
alas, Steelers now have less than $2M in cap space - I've resigned myself to the idea we aren't gonna sign anybody

I've kinda had a looming feeling that another cut may be coming. Keisel, perhaps?

Fire Haley
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I've kinda had a looming feeling that another cut may be coming. Keisel, perhaps?

he's still listed as the starter ahead of Cam, how many more bodies can we lose?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Steelers5895
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
cut foote, sign mcclain

Bane
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
he's still listed as the starter ahead of Cam, how many more bodies can we lose?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

I'm not advocating cutting Keisel, I've just had that looming feeling that his name is the next to be called, and that it could come this year if they want to sign Bradshaw and the draft picks.

OX1947
04-08-2013, 05:47 PM
cut foote, sign mcclain

Leave the gun, take the cannoli's.

Fire Haley
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm not advocating cutting Keisel, I've just had that looming feeling that his name is the next to be called, and that it could come this year if they want to sign Bradshaw and the draft picks.

well I guess you gotta go with your gut feeling...but I don't see us signing any FA now

at least till after the draft

we have $5M coming in June to sign the draft picks, that's not a problem, but I'd be saving our pennies for Max later, just in case

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Ravens, Rolando McClain near deal
Updated: April 10, 2013, 9:53 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN
RECOMMEND133TWEET89COMMENTS425EMAILPRINT
Former Oakland Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain is nearing a deal with the Baltimore Ravens, according to a league source.

AFC North blog
ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

ē Blog network: NFL Nation

The two sides are scheduled to talk again Wednesday to see if they can iron out unresolved issues to complete a deal.

McClain, Oakland's former first-round pick, starred at Alabama, the alma mater of Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.

McClain would become the second player cut by the Raiders this offseason to sign with the Super Bowl champion Ravens. Safety Michael Huff signed with Baltimore last month.

McClain last week became the third player drafted in the top 10 by late owner Al Davis to be let go so far this offseason by second-year Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie. Huff (seventh pick in 2006) and receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (seventh pick in '09) were cut last month.

McClain had a rough final campaign in Oakland, serving a two-game suspension last season for conduct detrimental to the team. He also was demoted from the starting lineup a month into the season because of his struggles in pass coverage and because Raiders coaches believed he tired too much playing every down.

In 41 career games with Oakland, McClain had 6.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, no fumble recoveries and did little to help improve Oakland's struggling run defense.

McClain also had problems off the field. He was involved in a shooting in Alabama in November 2011 when he left the team briefly during the season to attend a family funeral. McClain had been convicted of four misdemeanors in May but he appealed and the charges were dropped when the accuser told prosecutors he no longer wanted to pursue the case.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9155072/baltimore-ravens-deal-rolando-mcclain-source

Bayz101
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Bet is sucks for all you who wanted this troubled bust that he'll likely end up on our rivals roster. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Bet is sucks for all you who wanted this troubled bust that he'll likely end up on our rivals roster. :chuckle:

Yup and if he turns things around everybody will be talking about how great Ozzie Newsome is as a GM and the fans here will be dillusionally loving Larry Foote again. :doh:

Bayz101
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Yup and if he turns things around everybody will be talking about how great Ozzie Newsome is as a GM and the fans here will be dillusionally loving Larry Foote again. :doh:

Not going to say Foote was worth the deal he got signed too, but he was certainly a solid backup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Not going to say Foote was worth the deal he got signed too, but he was certainly a solid backup.

Exactly, we have a BACKUP starting at ILB. Rather than get a player on the upswing of his play and ability, we signed a 11 year veteran on the decline. Terrible decision IMO.

I hope we find a rookie starter in the draft somehow.:doh:

Bayz101
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Exactly, we have a BACKUP starting at ILB. Rather than get a player on the upswing of his play and ability, we signed a 11 year veteran on the decline. Terrible decision IMO.

I hope we find a rookie starter in the draft somehow.:doh:

Hey, it could be worse. The Browns have backups at EVER position. :sofunny:

Larry Foote is solid. We can't have All-Star's at ever position every year.

We drafted a potential starter in the draft last year and now it's unknown if he'll ever play again. Shit happens.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey, it could be worse. The Browns have backups at EVER position. :sofunny:

Larry Foote is solid. We can't have All-Star's at ever position every year.

We drafted a potential starter in the draft last year and now it's unknown if he'll ever play again. Shit happens.

Larry Foote is sub standard. The Browns arguably have a better linebacking Corps than the Steelers. Carder, Acho or Johnson are all better than Foote.

D'Quell Jackson
Tank Carder
Emanuell Acho
James Michael Johnson
Quentin Groves

Steel_Bus_24
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Im surprised the Ravens aren't all over him.....seems like their kind of guy

Buddha Bus
04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Pssst.... post #99.:chuckle:

Steel_Bus_24
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
should of known

FrancoLambert
04-10-2013, 04:56 PM

I hate the Ravens more than anybody.....OK, just as much as many of you.
But you gotta give Ozzie Newsome a ton of credit.
Loses a lot of talent and then signs Dumervil and likely McClain to re-stock his D.

Bayz101
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Loses a lot of talent and then signs Dumervil and likely McClain to re-stock his D.

McClain is not only a liability in pass-coverage, he's failed to stop the run on several occasions.

Elvis Dumerville is undoubtedly a great pickup, but we haven't really seen much from him in over 3 years, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not that deal pays off.

fansince'76
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Be that as it may, he still doesn't have anyone left to go up and grab Moonball Joe's wounded ducks...

pete74
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Be that as it may, he still doesn't have anyone left to go up and grab Moonball Joe's wounded ducks...

Nor does our QB

JonM229
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
It's official! In everyone's face who wanted him!

Rolando McClain Says He's Signing 1-Year Deal With Ravens (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Report-Rolando-McClain-Says-Hes-Signing-1-Year-Deal-With-Ravens/bf6241ea-e5ba-4b58-82e1-081264d132ca)

The Ravens are reportedly close to adding a player that could take over Ray Lewis’ spot on defense.

Former Oakland Raiders inside linebacker Rolando McClain told the Madison Weekly News that he’s going to sign a one-year deal with Baltimore, and multiple news outlets reported Wednesday night that the two sides have agreed to terms on a contract.

The one-year deal is reportedly worth $700,000, plus additional playing time incentives, according to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

CanuckCurtain
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
It's official! In everyone's face who wanted him!

Rolando McClain Says He's Signing 1-Year Deal With Ravens (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Report-Rolando-McClain-Says-Hes-Signing-1-Year-Deal-With-Ravens/bf6241ea-e5ba-4b58-82e1-081264d132ca)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158995/article/rolando-mcclain-baltimore-ravens-agree-on-contract

oh well:coffee:

Steel_Bus_24
04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
With their MLB locked up, they may now target Elam

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Larry Foote for 3 years at $5.5million or

Ro McLain at $700k plus incentives for 1 year. Colbert drives a hard bargain.

GMU Steeler
04-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Damn, good move by the Ravens. Even if he flops, it's not huge loss since they're paying him 700K for one year.

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
With their MLB locked up, they may now target Elam

Argh!!!

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Argh!!!

Not if we trade up. Also, I think they'd take Cyprien or Reid over Elam.

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Not if we trade up. Also, I think they'd take Cyprien or Reid over Elam.

Let's hope.

StevieRayVol
04-11-2013, 12:21 AM
McClain is a thug. Hell he even wore a house arrest bracelet while in "HIGH SCHOOL". Not to mention all that crap he got into in Alabama when he was playing for the Raiders. That guy is a POS.

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 02:50 AM
McClain is a thug. Hell he even wore a house arrest bracelet while in "HIGH SCHOOL". Not to mention all that crap he got into in Alabama when he was playing for the Raiders. That guy is a POS.

sounds like he'll make a perfect Felon...:sign02:

bornaSteelersfan
04-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Now that The Ravens signed him, all he needs is to be involved in a murder and he will officially replace Ray Lewis. It seems he is already well on his way with that "gangsta" attitude.

tanda10506
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Damn, every body is beginning to get better in FA except us. With Kruger and Lewis gone, and the losses at Safety, I thought the Ravens would not be able to bounce back. Now with McClain, Dummerville, and Suggs, their defense is looking strong again. Relying on the draft only isn't working out for us, we need to be able to sign FA's or we will be in for a longer recovery.

Rabbit
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
you say that as if McClain was any good

he's a complete liability in coverage. two down thumper at best with multiple legal issues. meh.

silver & black
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
you say that as if McClain was any good

he's a complete liability in coverage. two down thumper at best with multiple legal issues. meh.

Yea, I don't get where so many people think he was/is a good player. College isn't the NFL. Was he out of position in Oakland? Yes. Did he try to progress as a MLB? No. He was lazy, took plays off, couldn't cover for shit, was slow, and the biggest problem..... he's no kind of leader at all. Not on or off the field. I'm certainly not upset to see him gone.

RavenManiac
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Yea, I don't get where so many people think he was/is a good player. College isn't the NFL. Was he out of position in Oakland? Yes. Did he try to progress as a MLB? No. He was lazy, took plays off, couldn't cover for shit, was slow, and the biggest problem..... he's no kind of leader at all. Not on or off the field. I'm certainly not upset to see him gone.

He is 23 years old. If you have started a single game by 23 years old, you are ahead of the curve of 95% of the league. Starting 38 games, amassing 6.5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF, 175 tackles, 70 assists before your 24th birthday means you are ahead of 99% of the league.

And let's face it, Oakland is a dysfunctional franchise. I don't think it is difficult to argue that a player is going to have a harder time playing up to their potential in such an environment. No offense intended, just stating the obvious, imo.

Of course, the off the field problems indicate the kid is indeed immature and not very bright. He clearly needs to shape up big time if he wants to accomplish anything meaningful in the league. And I think Ozzie Newsome has already made that crystal clear to Rolando, from one Tide alum to another.

The contract offered was negligible. If he acts up and squanders the opportunity to "start fresh" at age 23-24 and get his career back on track, then he is flat released with almost no damage done to the Ravens. It is not preordained that he even makes the team, though I suspect he will.

I am optimistic about his contributions in 2013, but I don't think anyone is relying on the fact he will play well. If he does, it is a bonus, if not, no worries.

Bane
04-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Agreed. If he was next to Ray Lewis, who would have busted his ass and pushed him to be great, then I think Rolando would have been an awesome signing and would have faith that he would turn out a good performance this year. Since Ray isn't there to push him, it's a low risk/high reward situation, where I think we could see either result.

Either way, his signing doesn't intimidate me as a Steelers fan.

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2013, 07:32 AM
This has got bust written all over it along with Dumervil. Both will be average and hopefully we will be able to exploit the noobness.

Hawaii 5-0
04-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Rolando McClain arrested in Alabama

Updated: April 22, 2013
ESPN.com news services

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Rolando McClain was arrested Sunday in Decatur, Ala., and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

McClain was released after posting $1,000 bond, AL.com reported.

The Ravens signed McClain to a one-year contract April 12.

McClain has had a string of legal troubles in his hometown. He was involved in a shooting in Alabama in November 2011, when he left his former team, the Raiders, briefly during the season to attend a family funeral.

In May 2012, McClain was convicted of four misdemeanors -- reckless endangerment, menacing, third-degree assault and firing a gun in the city limits -- but he appealed the verdict and the charges were dropped when the accuser told prosecutors he no longer wanted to pursue the case.

On Jan. 8, McClain was arrested on charges of violating rules on car window tint and trying to lie to police about his identity.

McClain had a rough final season in Oakland, serving a two-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team. He also was demoted from the starting lineup a month into the season because of his struggles in pass coverage and because Raiders coaches thought he tired too much playing every down.

In 41 career games with Oakland, the former first-round pick had 6.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and no fumble recoveries, and he did little to help improve Oakland's struggling run defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9198542/rolando-mcclain-baltimore-ravens-arrested-charged-alabama

IamTheSteelGod
04-22-2013, 04:26 AM
It was only a matter of time.

Buddha Bus
04-22-2013, 05:06 AM
How the hell did The Ohio State Correctional Cats (aka The Cincinnati Bengals) miss out on this one?

Galax Steeler
04-22-2013, 05:12 AM
How the hell did The Ohio State Correctional Cats (aka The Cincinnati Bengals) miss out on this one?

Thats ok the Ratbirds picked up the slack on this one.

Fire Haley
04-22-2013, 07:47 AM
"We gotta get this guy!"

http://localtvwhnt.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/mcclain.jpeg?w=302

ha ha

just like I perdicted - loser

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
He has big shoes to fill in Lewis's. Give him time!

lloydwoodson
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
He has big shoes to fill in Lewis's. Give him time!

Yeah, it isn't like he stabbed somebody.

silver & black
04-22-2013, 05:44 PM
:chuckle:

Millers the sh!t
04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Better them then us. I was kind of on the side of giving this screwball a shot but I'm glad we didn't. And Baltimore is probably glad they only gave this future parolee of America a one year CWAF deal. This scumbag deserves to be wearing a prison number, not a jersey number.

pete74
04-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Better them then us. I was kind of on the side of giving this screwball a shot but I'm glad we didn't. And Baltimore is probably glad they only gave this future parolee of America a one year CWAF deal. This scumbag deserves to be wearing a prison number, not a jersey number.

Agreed. He is a criminal and will be in and out of jail the rest of his life

Steelers5895
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
sad and kudos the our FO for staying away from him. thats why dopes like us dont run the team

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2013, 02:43 AM
Rolando McClain's wise move

To get his life in order, the troubled linebacker is smart to retire at age 23

Originally Published: May 17, 2013
By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0517/nfl_a_mcclainr_jv_300.jpg

Troubled LB Rolando McClain Retires

Of all the words that will be used to describe the recent retirement of Baltimore Ravens inside linebacker Rolando McClain -- alarming, mystifying and disappointing will likely come to mind -- one that won't be used enough is "smart." One glance at McClain's arrest record is sufficient proof that his life is in chaos. Another peek at his three years with the Oakland Raiders is further evidence that his game is in shambles. This is a man who needed many things to go right just to have a chance at success in Baltimore. He deserves credit for realizing when enough really is enough.

The easy choice for McClain would've been to continue pursuing an NFL career that started with him being the eighth overall selection in the 2010 draft. He'd already made at least $23 million while in Oakland and the opportunity to keep receiving a paycheck had to be enticing. Professional athletes do it all the time. They push their demons aside, fully believing it's better to take the money while it's available than worry about what might happen down the road.

Former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher is the worst-case example of what can happen when personal issues don't get addressed in that environment. In one tragic night, he went from being an unassuming pro football player to a criminal who snapped after an argument, killing his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, and later himself. The most troubling news reported in the aftermath of the murder-suicide was that nobody saw Belcher's life slipping into such a dangerous place. There was a fierce search for warning signs in the days that followed, none of which offered adequate explanation for the frightening act.

For whatever reason, McClain chose to pay attention to his own red flags. He somehow saw how much of an embarrassment he'd become and decided to try a radical strategy. In a statement released the same day the news broke, McClain explained that he needed to leave football because it was in his "best interest" to focus on getting his life back together. He also acknowledged that he loved the game and wasn't sure what the future held for him.

Cynics certainly will write off McClain as just another bust, given that he's quitting before he has turned 24. What can't be debated is the difficulty in this decision. Most football players have no idea what they'll do with their lives once they've finished 10 or 15 years in the league. This is a young man who's willing to walk into some dark places at a tender age, simply because he fears what might happen if he doesn't.

Think about it -- McClain has been groomed to play football since he was a kid growing up in Decatur, Ala. He was a high school All-American there, a first-team All-American at the University of Alabama and the 2009 recipient of both the Butkus and Lambert Awards. Football quite likely gave McClain the confidence, stability and power that every young man covets when they're coming of age. To give that up today means losing his identity, which is the one thing that will haunt any person attempting to make such a drastic life change.

Football also allowed McClain to escape a troubled childhood that included a father who wasn't around much and a mother who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. In 2005, when McClain was only 16, he received a restraining order against his mom, Tonya Malone, because she allegedly threatened to kill him while holding a knife. McClain subsequently spent the rest of his high school years bouncing from home to home. He learned to survive off whatever resources came his way and whatever skills he could maximize.

It says plenty that McClain grew into a player who helped lead Alabama to the 2009 national championship and also became a two-time dean's list student. It's also equally sad to see how quickly he went downhill after becoming a pro. McClain seemed to be making news off the field from the moment he entered the NFL, most often when he was back in his hometown.

McClain was convicted in municipal court last May of third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and illegal discharge of a firearm in city limits. Though those charges were eventually dropped after the accuser decided to not pursue the case, the public still heard that McClain allegedly threatened to kill a man while firing a gun near the victim's head. McClain also was arrested in January for a window tint violation and providing false information to police (he allegedly wrote "(expletive) y'all" on a citation when asked to sign his name), and again in April (he allegedly yelled an expletive at police while they dispersed a crowd and twice pulled his arms away from officers as they tried to arrest him). The April arrest occurred 10 days after he signed with Baltimore.

The Ravens should be thankful McClain -- who also has two other outstanding charges for reckless driving and failing to provide proof of insurance -- took the burden of deciding his fate out of their hands. He had a reputation for being a knucklehead when he arrived in Baltimore and he wasn't going to win people over with his play. This is the same highly touted linebacker who couldn't be a difference-maker with the Raiders and also earned a suspension last November for conduct detrimental to the team after an argument with Oakland head coach Dennis Allen. By the looks of things, McClain was going to be more trouble than he was worth before he ever dressed for one Ravens game.

The only reason he was in Baltimore was because general manager Ozzie Newsome, a former Crimson Tide great, felt like rolling the dice on a linebacker who might have helped offset the losses of Ray Lewis and Dannell Ellerbe this offseason. The biggest risk in that move was one Newsome surely anticipated. By giving McClain a fresh start, the Ravens would be sending the same message that too often gets sent in the league: Teams will take a player with any level of baggage as long as he can produce. That thinking probably factored heavily in McClain's personal issues. He probably always has been a guy who has gotten too much leeway because of his tremendous physical ability.

Now McClain is about to tackle the toughest challenge he has faced in his life. He's going to try living in a world where football isn't a crutch and the same demons are there to pursue him. He certainly will hear people question his heart, his character and his desire. What they can't knock -- even if McClain suggested he might want to return to football in the future -- is something that shouldn't be lost in midst of this shocking news: his courage.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9285950/nfl-rolando-mcclain-wise-move

VaDave
05-18-2013, 04:44 AM
Yeah, it isn't like he stabbed somebody.

Maybe that was the reason?

Seriously, I truly hope he gets his act together, much like I would hope a guy like Vince Young, who just got his degree, and even guys like Jamarkus Russell. It's pretty obvious the pressure these kids are exposed to is intense, not only to produce on the field, but just in dealing with their finances, and all of the people that are trying to get a piece of it. It's enough to make anybody crack.

FrancoLambert
05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Maybe that was the reason?

Seriously, I truly hope he gets his act together, much like I would hope a guy like Vince Young, who just got his degree, and even guys like Jamarkus Russell. It's pretty obvious the pressure these kids are exposed to is intense, not only to produce on the field, but just in dealing with their finances, and all of the people that are trying to get a piece of it. It's enough to make anybody crack.

I do too. Nothing like a "feel good turn your life around story."
However, a person's character guides one's choices in life.
Apparently, his record indicates he has no character.
Others have contributed to his mess, but the blame rests squarely on his own snoulders.

pczach
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
If he could leave the game, and find a way to manage his life and be productive, it will be the greatest success story that could have come from the disaster that has been his life to this point. I hope he finds peace, and figures out what truly is important in life. The easiest thing he could have done was to sign the contract with the Ravens and continue with business as usual. I'll give the guy some credit here because I think he is obviously trying to change his life in a positive way. I hope he succeeds.

Uptown Murf
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Huge McClain fan here, but I don't think he fits the scheme. He needs to be the run and chase linebacker in this scheme and I don't see him being better than Lawrence Timmons...He's not the stack and shed linebacker, like Farrior was. That's why he struggled in the 4-3 defense in Oakland...I think the Ravens are a better fit if he does come back.

I actually think you guys are sleeping on Sean Spence out of "The U". He's sitting right on the roster getting healthy. This guy was the absolute truth in college. Can stack and shed as well as run and chase,,, He will take over for Foote eventually, if he doesn't leave town before he gets his chance.

Edit: err heard the news on Spence..Man that's disheartening. SMH

Vis
05-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Huge McClain fan here, but I don't think he fits the scheme. He needs to be the run and chase linebacker in this scheme and I don't see him being better than Lawrence Timmons...He's not the stack and shed linebacker, like Farrior was. That's why he struggled in the 4-3 defense in Oakland...I think the Ravens are a better fit if he does come back.

I actually think you guys are sleeping on Sean Spence out of "The U". He's sitting right on the roster getting healthy. This guy was the absolute truth in college. Can stack and shed as well as run and chase,,, He will take over for Foote eventually, if he doesn't leave town before he gets his chance.

Edit: err heard the news on Spence..Man that's disheartening. SMH

Ummm, have you heard the news on McClain?

Steelstoned1972
05-20-2013, 08:28 AM
:sarcalert: :sarcalert:

we should sign him immediately and retire him the same day as a Steeler !!!!!

Uptown Murf
05-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Ummm, have you heard the news on McClain?

I sure haven't - I just go through life blindly. I can give you breakdowns of players, even give you his backstory all the way to Deactur Ala. but somehow pertinent news escapes me.........

Of course I have heard he retired. I also saw he left the door open for a comeback after he gets his life straight. I was speaking from a schematical standpoint only. The OP suggested this when the Raiders released him, wouldn't have been a good move then or even when he comes back out of 'retirement'...

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I sure haven't - I just go through life blindly. I can give you breakdowns of players, even give you his backstory all the way to Deactur Ala. but somehow pertinent news escapes me.........

Of course I have heard he retired. I also saw he left the door open for a comeback after he gets his life straight. I was speaking from a schematical standpoint only. The OP suggested this when the Raiders released him, wouldn't have been a good move then or even when he comes back out of 'retirement'...

More arrogant and sarcastic bullshit from you. You should think about writing a book titled "How To Make Enemies And Influence No One". :doh:

Steelstoned1972
05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
:beerfunnel:

More arrogant and sarcastic bullshit from you. You should think about writing a book titled "How To Make Enemies And Influence No One". :doh:

Im grabbing a cold one , this could be entertaining !

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Huge McClain fan here

you know all about Rolando McClain yet you are still a huge fan of his.

really??? what has he done since his days at Alabama that would endear him to anyone?

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM

really??? what has he done since his days at Alabama that would endear him to anyone?

Leave him alone, you non-technical, bandwagon Yinzer.

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Leave him alone, you non-technical, bandwagon Yinzer.

yunz went dahntahn to go get some beer n'at...:drink:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7zS7Zp06wVU/T3otBoyAy6I/AAAAAAAAAII/tx0epbGwhW8/s1600/pittsburgheese.jpg

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
yunz went dahntahn to go get some beer n'at...:drink:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7zS7Zp06wVU/T3otBoyAy6I/AAAAAAAAAII/tx0epbGwhW8/s1600/pittsburgheese.jpg

Can I get that in a "Pittsburghese for Dummies" format? That's a bit too advanced for my liking.

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Can I get that in a "Pittsburghese for Dummies" format? That's a bit too advanced for my liking.

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/YinzerBingo2-600x600.jpg

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 02:56 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/YinzerBingo2-600x600.jpg

My stupid brain thanks you.

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
My stupid brain thanks you.

you're welcome, I'm used to helping out my wife...

http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/wish_these_were_brains.jpg?w=450

Uptown Murf
05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Am I supposed to do what everyone else does? He Looks like a troubled 23 year old football player to me. I'm hoping he get's it together and balls out like I know he's capable of doing. He's only 23.. I liked him when I saw him play as a freshman - 5 years later I still like him. His rookie year was pretty good, people tend to overlook that.

And besides, I was angry when the raiders took him anyway - as I thought he should've been a Raven out the gate. He doesn't fit a 4-3 scheme whatsoever. He's not an outside linebacker in the scheme - and being the lone MLB doesn't hide him well enough in the formation. Even with that said, he was pretty good as a rookie...

SteelersCanada
05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Am I supposed to do what everyone else does? He Looks like a troubled 23 year old football player to me. I'm hoping he get's it together and balls out like I know he's capable of doing. He's only 23.. I liked him when I saw him play as a freshman - 5 years later I still like him. His rookie year was pretty good, people tend to overlook that.

And besides, I was angry when the raiders took him anyway - as I thought he should've been a Raven out the gate. He doesn't fit a 4-3 scheme whatsoever. He's not an outside linebacker in the scheme - and being the lone MLB doesn't hide him well enough in the formation. Even with that said, he was pretty good as a rookie...

Therein lies the problem. A ninth overall pick cannot be a "pretty good rookie", they need to be the leader and captain of a defense and after three years with the Raiders, he wasn't able to. His constant arrests and maturity issues made him a red flag.

If you look back in this thread I was advocating for the Steelers to grab him when he was a FA and once again I proved why I shouldn't be running the front office. Maybe these guys know what they're doing over there in Pittsburgh.

Blacksburg Zach
05-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Therein lies the problem. A ninth overall pick cannot be a "pretty good rookie", they need to be the leader and captain of a defense and after three years with the Raiders, he wasn't able to. His constant arrests and maturity issues made him a red flag.

If you look back in this thread I was advocating for the Steelers to grab him when he was a FA and once again I proved why I shouldn't be running the front office. Maybe these guys know what they're doing over there in Pittsburgh.

Obviously not. Haven't you heard that they wasted all their picks in this past draft? Replace Colbert with an armchair GM from Steelers Fever, and the team would constantly be picking top 10 talent in later rounds.

Uptown Murf
05-20-2013, 07:40 PM

I agree with that, though I must point out that in the past two season NOBODY has really shined on the Raiders. That dumb coaching change killed their momentum. They didn't do a very good job of matching scheme to personnel on both sides of the ball..Just like the Greg Knapp "Zone blocking scheme" - that was implemented last season. Held Darren McFadden, possibly the most explosive player in the league to like 3.3 yards per carry. It was a disaster. So I won't hold playing for the raiders against him. They have players I know that are talented that struggled under that situation...

Uptown Murf
05-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Obviously not. Haven't you heard that they wasted all their picks in this past draft? Replace Colbert with an armchair GM from Steelers Fever, and the team would constantly be picking top 10 talent in later rounds.

Hokie!! Bro, what do you think of Jason Worilds transition to the 3-4 zone blitz scheme of your Steelers? I think he can be a star on the opposite side of Jarvis Jones - with Woodley being the odd man out here in a year or two..Do you agree, or am I being too much of a Worilds fan? I think he's a great pass rusher, who is equally adept at playing the run....

Bane
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM

I'll pick first round talents all the way into round 12. Every year. Twice.

Top that.

Blacksburg Zach
05-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Hokie!! Bro, what do you think of Jason Worilds transition to the 3-4 zone blitz scheme of your Steelers? I think he can be a star on the opposite side of Jarvis Jones - with Woodley being the odd man out here in a year or two..Do you agree, or am I being too much of a Worilds fan? I think he's a great pass rusher, who is equally adept at playing the run....

I think Worilds can be successful in the Steelers' 3-4 scheme. He's played relatively well in limited action, but he needs to stay healthy and prove his worth as a long time starter in training camp.

Blacksburg Zach
05-20-2013, 11:08 PM
I'll pick first round talents all the way into round 12. Every year. Twice.

Top that.

Will all those picks become 1st ballot Hall of Famers? If so, then you are hired, my friend! :thumbsup: Now all I need is to find the perfect armchair coach to replace Tomlin, and the Steelers will never taste defeat again! :muhaha:

Uptown Murf
05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I think Worilds can be successful in the Steelers' 3-4 scheme. He's played relatively well in limited action, but he needs to stay healthy and prove his worth as a long time starter in training camp.

I totally agree. I wish he had more pub coming out of college. Great asset to have though..Deep at OLB, couple that with the versatility...

SteelersCanada
05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
with Woodley being the odd man out here in a year or two..

Woodley had 35 sacks from 2008 - 2011. That's averaging (basically) 12 sacks / year. Jason Worilds has 10 sacks in his career.

If Woodley comes back healthy and in shape, he's going to be one of the best OLB'ers in the league. So, no, Jason Worilds is not going to make LaMarr Woodley the "odd man out" of the group.

Bane
05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Will all those picks become 1st ballot Hall of Famers? If so, then you are hired, my friend! :thumbsup: Now all I need is to find the perfect armchair coach to replace Tomlin, and the Steelers will never taste defeat again! :muhaha:

They''ll be in the Hall of Fame before their first seasons start. The committee won't know what to do with themselves over my drat picks.

And don't worry, I can coach too. 30 wins and four Lombardis a season.

Bane
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Woodley had 35 sacks from 2008 - 2011. That's averaging (basically) 12 sacks / year. Jason Worilds has 10 sacks in his career.

If Woodley comes back healthy and in shape, he's going to be one of the best OLB'ers in the league. So, no, Jason Worilds is not going to make LaMarr Woodley the "odd man out" of the group.

Yeah, I miss the days when Woodley was still that good. It was nice having not only the best pass rushing tandem in the league, but one of the best I can remember.

The real question is, what if Worilds does step up and get a hilarious amount of sacks, perform well in coverage, and show decent leadership? Do we dump Woodley? Or do we let Jarvis sit and be a role player for a few years?

ebsteelers
05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I miss the days when Woodley was still that good. It was nice having not only the best pass rushing tandem in the league, but one of the best I can remember.

The real question is, what if Worilds does step up and get a hilarious amount of sacks, perform well in coverage, and show decent leadership? Do we dump Woodley? Or do we let Jarvis sit and be a role player for a few years?

you scheme up packages to get the 3 of them on the field, with how much passing is going on, there is ways to get 3 stud pass rushers on the field at once, plus there is always rotating and keep guys fresh..

no such thing as too many good pass rushers.. dominate pass rush has led us to many a super bowls, and look at the giants each year they won the super bowl

Blacksburg Zach
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM

It would be a good problem to have. You can never have too many pass rushers.

StevieRayVol
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
McClain is thug ass POS. He wore a house arrest ankle bracelet in high school. How Nic Saban kept him out of the papers in Alabama is anybody's guess?..And he been arrested something like two or three times in Decataur Alabama alone...."NO NOT WANT".