PDA

View Full Version : Time to develop an young QB (and FS)

Carbon
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Hey guys Steelers fan from Mexico
I honestly hope they just tank the season without risking Ben to further damage, but I sincerly hope they draft a good solid QB in the second or third round. A guy like Zac Dysert or a Tyler Wilson would give them a few options for the innevitable Ben injury. Batch used to be pretty competent, but he had much better OL to work with and Leftwhich is a disgrace...is he made out of bubblewrap or something?
Also the Defense has been pretty good, Jaison Woirlds seems like the real deal to replace Harrison mybe by next year, and the young CBs have been pretty good, but they definelty have to look for a young Safety to take over for Polamalu; Allen and Mundy are average at best, and Clark is no spring chiken either
:tt02:

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Jerrod Johnson might be the answer to our problems in regard to a younger quarterback. Having a veteran like Hoyer or Vick to be the second string would be ideal so he has two veterans to learn from.

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Jerrod Johnson might be the answer to our problems in regard to a younger quarterback. Having a veteran like Hoyer or Vick to be the second string would be ideal so he has two veterans to learn from.

the Steelers thought so highly of Jerrod Johnson that they brought in Brian Hoyer and Mike Kafka for tryouts after Leftwich was injured.

SteelersCanada
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
the Steelers thought so highly of Jerrod Johnson that they brought in Brian Hoyer and Mike Kafka for tryouts after Leftwich was injured.

Isn't Johnson contractually obligated to the UFL?

casteeler
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
This Topic has been gone over already:deadhorse:

Fire Arians
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Isn't Johnson contractually obligated to the UFL?

thats what i thought. if he's already under contract we can't sign him

harrison'samonster
11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
This Topic has been gone over already:deadhorse:

how did you get that little picture of the Browns mascot?

Welcome to the board Carbon!

SoCalFan
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Bienvenidos Carbon! Where in Mex are you? You bring up a good point! I sure do hope our next few draft years are good! One thing I know is, players like Troy & Ben only come around every decade or so!

kwpit79
11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I remember under the Cowher years we'd take a flyer on a 5th or 6th round QB nearly every year. I think it's a good policy to have. If you land a solid backup, great; If you land a perceived gem, you can trade to a desperate team for a premium pick or two (like the Kolb to Cardinals trade); and if you strike out, you release him and move on with your life.

Hawaii 5-0
11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I remember under the Cowher years we'd take a flyer on a 5th or 6th round QB nearly every year. I think it's a good policy to have. If you land a solid backup, great; If you land a perceived gem, you can trade to a desperate team for a premium pick or two (like the Kolb to Cardinals trade); and if you strike out, you release him and move on with your life.

yeah, those Teeeeeee Martin and Omar Jacobs picks turned out sooooo well....

LayingTheWoodley56
12-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Ben still has 4 or 5 top-caliber seasons in him at QB, barring a major injury. Anybody we drafted after this season would rot on the bench until he is 27, and that would be a waste. If anything we should use a mid to late round pick on a guy who will be a serviceable backup, not someone with aspirations of being a long-term NFL starter. At the end of #7's career, the course of action I would recommend would be to go the Redskins route and give up a significant package of future draft picks to trade way up in the draft and select the QB that will solidify our offense going forward.

That is assuming, as an eternally optimistic Steeler fan, that for as long as we have Ben we won't have a season bad enough to afford us a top-3 draft pick .

casteeler
12-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Ben still has 4 or 5 top-caliber seasons in him at QB, barring a major injury. Anybody we drafted after this season would rot on the bench until he is 27, and that would be a waste. If anything we should use a mid to late round pick on a guy who will be a serviceable backup, not someone with aspirations of being a long-term NFL starter. At the end of #7's career, the course of action I would recommend would be to go the Redskins route and give up a significant package of future draft picks to trade way up in the draft and select the QB that will solidify our offense going forward.

That is assuming, as an eternally optimistic Steeler fan, that for as long as we have Ben we won't have a season bad enough to afford us a top-3 draft pick .

Barring major injury? It seems every year that Ben misses a game or 2 due to injury and some of those injuries were considered pretty severe, drafting a talented young QB makes the MOST sense of any draft pick. If Hoyer doesn't fill the #2 QB position then why not draft a QB in the 2nd round? Batch and Leftwich SHOULD be gone after the end of the season and QB is a position the Steelers cannot take lightly

mikegrimey
12-02-2012, 02:47 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with the logic, but the Cowher years weren't exactly defined by superlative QB play, the reason stories like Tom Brady's and Kurt Warner's are made such a big deal is because they're exceptionally rare.