PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated and Underrated players in the NFL...

"NobodyBelievedInUsButUs"
08-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Who in your opinion is the most overrated and underrated players in all of the NFL??

My Picks For AFC:
Overrated AFC-
1. Carson Palmer
Underrated AFC-
1. Hines Ward

Carson Palmer RIGHT NOW is overrated. I don't think its fair to be comparing him to Elway or Young, or Montanta yet! Yea, he won the Hiesman in college, I give him props. But we are not talking about college football, we are talking about the NFL. He had one breakout year in 2005, and all of the sudden he is being compared to every great quarterback in the NFL. Carson has great potential and I think will be a very good quarterback someday. But, right now he is overrated. Show me Carson that you can take the Bengals to the playoffs for more than one year.....show me.
Hines Ward in my opinion is underrated because not only is Hines an amazing and talented receiver, but he is also a very good blocker. He knows when to throw a block when the Steelers are running the ball, he is a very very big part of the Steelers offense. Hines Ward does not get enough credit for what he does when he is not catching the ball...or when he is catching the ball for that matter.

My Picks For NFC:
Overrated NFC-
1. Michael Vick and Eli Manning
Underrated NFC-
1. Larry Fitzgerald

Eli Manning has not shown me enough YET to get the attention and the praise that he has gotten the past two years. I believe Eli will eventually be a great quarterback, in my opinion, in a few years, he may even be better than his big brother Peyton. But, not right now, and until he proves to me that he can be a leadership figure and carry his team on his shoulder, I believe he is overrated. Also, the reason in my opinion of why they got far last year is because of Tiki Barber, thats one of the main reasons.
Michael Vick is in my opinion one of the most overrated quarterbacks in the national football league. In my opinion, I think a quarterback should throw the ball and be a team leader. Yes, scramble WHEN YOU HAVE TO. Not every time you get the ball. If he loves running so much, don't be a quarterback, be a running back or receiever. And I know a lot of people do not agree with me, but when he does the things he does every game, I mean always try to be the star, you are not helping your team in my opinion, you are hurting it. Yea, he has alot of talent, BUT it can't always be about Michael Vick, you have to act like a quarterback some of the time.
Larry Fitzgerald is very underrated. I think its mainly because of the team that he is on. He plays for the Cardinals, who haven't been great the past few years. But, if any of you watched to Pro Bowl, you saw that amazing catch that Larry Fitzgerald had. Now that Larry has Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, I think he will have many great years to come. Larry had 1409 yards last season. And rushed for 41. It seems that these days, you could be a wonderful talented player, but if your ona bad team, you don't get the recognitioon you deserve. Keep your eye out for Larry Fitzgerald, WR for the Arizona Cardinals, I think this year, he may start to get the recognition he deserves.

Let me know what you guys think. If you disagree, please let me know. I am a girl, but I can take critcism.

ARKIESTEEL
08-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Under rated Aron Smith

HometownGal
08-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't believe for one minute that Carson Palmer is overrated - not in the least. He - not Rudi Johnson, T.J. Theshoeshineboyzadah or Chad Johnson - is what makes that offense so potent. Sure he's one of those tiger-striped critters that we all love to loathe, but I can't take away from the guy that he is a very talented young QB and I think he's only going to get better in the next couple of years.

AFC over-rated - Corey Dillon
AFC under-rated - James Farrior

I agree with you about Michael Vick - totally. :smile:

NFC over-rated - LaVar Arrington (I know he's had his injury problems, but he's a big underachiever, imho).

NFC under-rated - Jake Delhomme.

CantStop85
08-11-2006, 01:47 PM
AFC overrated: Champ Bailey (Who hasn't burnt this guy?)
AFC underrated: Reuben Droughns (Cleveland's first 1,000 yard back in 20 years...he's a battering ram)

NFC overrated: LaVar Arrington (Big salary, small player)
NFC underrated: Shaun Alexander (Bear with me here, he has one of the best seasons for a runningback ever yet "it's because Seattle's O-Line is so great" and "LT, LJ, and Tiki are all more talented than him"...whatever, he's one of the best pure runners in the league.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
AFC Overrated: Ray Lewis..
It is 2006..what have you done lately rayray..(besides run away from porter to the safety of your bus)..you little Mary. The most physical aspect of his game over the last three years is that ridiculous dance during introductions. Without his knife..he is about as intimidating as Haley Joel Osment ..(and coincidently..they both see dead people)

AFC Underrated: Dunta Robinson..
one of the hardest hitting corners I have seen in a while...He is a rare talent in being extremly proficient at the run and the pass

NFC Overrated: Roy Williams..
ROY...the reason you had to grab people from behind was because 1) They had CAUGHT the ball in your area...2) You were OUT OF POSITION!!! Catching someone from behind does not make you a good defensive player..it makes you a FAST defensive player!

NFC Underrated: Patrick Kearney..
Started 96 games in a row...intense...(reminds me of Steeler mentality) ..he is one of those players that makes everyone around him a better player.

boLT fan
08-11-2006, 02:36 PM
How in the hell is Carson Palmer overrated? Didn't he lead in the league in... well pretty much everything in passing? That's just anti-bengalism.

AFC
Overrated - Larry Johnson (He was a product of the system, never even met any defenders tll about 10 yards down field. He's good but he's not god like some people seem to think)
Underrated - Todd Heap (A great TE but you don't hear much about him)

NFC
Overrated - Eli Manning (Becuase he is Eli Manning) / Michael Vick (He's a WR wearing a QB's number)
Underrated - Jake Delhome (Awesome QB, not much said about him)

08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
The only reason I am saying Carson Palmer is because he had ONE good year. And all of the sudden they are comparing him with Montana, Elway..etc. Believe me, the man has talent, and this isn't because he is one of our rivals. Not in the least bit. BUT, what I am saying is he can do amazing things, and he iwll in years to come, but RIGHT NOW he is overrated. The man is a great qb and will have a great career. But show me he can do it two years in a row...show me....thats all. I mean, right now in his career, I just don't feel he has shown me enough to be compared to that kind of stature. I am not trying to take anything away from the guy. But I just think he needs to have more than just one great year. And I am sure he will.....but until then, in my eyes he is overrated.

08-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't believe for one minute that Carson Palmer is overrated - not in the least. He - not Rudi Johnson, T.J. Theshoeshineboyzadah or Chad Johnson - is what makes that offense so potent. Sure he's one of those tiger-striped critters that we all love to loathe, but I can't take away from the guy that he is a very talented young QB and I think he's only going to get better in the next couple of years.

I don't believe hes the only one reason they have a great offense. Sure, hes a huge part. And thats what I am trying to tell you, he is onyl going to get better....SHOW ME...thats all.

19ward86
08-11-2006, 03:18 PM
AFC overrated
willie mcginist(clark haggans has better seasons then willie yet he is not appreciated)
AFC underrated
ben roethlisberger(i dont even want to talk about it.

NFC overrated
drew brees
NFC underrated
marc bulger

19ward86
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
How in the hell is Carson Palmer overrated? Didn't he lead in the league in... well pretty much everything in passing? That's just anti-bengalism.

AFC
Overrated - Larry Johnson (He was a product of the system, never even met any defenders tll about 10 yards down field. He's good but he's not god like some people seem to think)
Underrated - Todd Heap (A great TE but you don't hear much about him)

NFC
Overrated - Eli Manning (Becuase he is Eli Manning) / Michael Vick (He's a WR wearing a QB's number)
Underrated - Jake Delhome (Awesome QB, not much said about him)
i think eli is overrated but michael vick just needs to work on accuracy, that will change your mind.

LuckyNumber7
08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Who in your opinion is the most overrated and underrated players in all of the NFL??

My Picks For AFC:
Overrated AFC-
1. Carson Palmer
Underrated AFC-
1. Hines Ward

Carson Palmer RIGHT NOW is overrated. I don't think its fair to be comparing him to Elway or Young, or Montanta yet! Yea, he won the Hiesman in college, I give him props. But we are not talking about college football, we are talking about the NFL. He had one breakout year in 2005, and all of the sudden he is being compared to every great quarterback in the NFL. Carson has great potential and I think will be a very good quarterback someday. But, right now he is overrated. Show me Carson that you can take the Bengals to the playoffs for more than one year.....show me.
Hines Ward in my opinion is underrated because not only is Hines an amazing and talented receiver, but he is also a very good blocker. He knows when to throw a block when the Steelers are running the ball, he is a very very big part of the Steelers offense. Hines Ward does not get enough credit for what he does when he is not catching the ball...or when he is catching the ball for that matter.

My Picks For NFC:
Overrated NFC-
Underrated NFC-
1. Larry Fitzgerald

Eli Manning has not shown me enough YET to get the attention and the praise that he has gotten the past two years. I believe Eli will eventually be a great quarterback, in my opinion, in a few years, he may even be better than his big brother Peyton. But, not right now, and until he proves to me that he can be a leadership figure and carry his team on his shoulder, I believe he is overrated. Also, the reason in my opinion of why they got far last year is because of Tiki Barber, thats one of the main reasons.
Michael Vick is in my opinion one of the most overrated quarterbacks in the national football league. In my opinion, I think a quarterback should throw the ball and be a team leader. Yes, scramble WHEN YOU HAVE TO. Not every time you get the ball. If he loves running so much, don't be a quarterback, be a running back or receiever. And I know a lot of people do not agree with me, but when he does the things he does every game, I mean always try to be the star, you are not helping your team in my opinion, you are hurting it. Yea, he has alot of talent, BUT it can't always be about Michael Vick, you have to act like a quarterback some of the time.
Larry Fitzgerald is very underrated. I think its mainly because of the team that he is on. He plays for the Cardinals, who haven't been great the past few years. But, if any of you watched to Pro Bowl, you saw that amazing catch that Larry Fitzgerald had. Now that Larry has Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, I think he will have many great years to come. Larry had 1409 yards last season. And rushed for 41. It seems that these days, you could be a wonderful talented player, but if your ona bad team, you don't get the recognitioon you deserve. Keep your eye out for Larry Fitzgerald, WR for the Arizona Cardinals, I think this year, he may start to get the recognition he deserves.

Let me know what you guys think. If you disagree, please let me know. I am a girl, but I can take critcism.

I mean, I give you props....great post...I like the way you defended each player on why you put them there. I agree with your players for the most part. For a girl....your very knowledgable...good post.

19ward86
08-11-2006, 03:30 PM
i wouldnt of said"for a girl" thats not right,haha

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2006, 03:30 PM

AFC over-rated - Corey Dillon
AFC under-rated - James Farrior

I agree with you about Michael Vick - totally. :smile:

NFC over-rated - LaVar Arrington (I know he's had his injury problems, but he's a big underachiever, imho).

NFC under-rated - Jake Delhomme.

I agree that Carson Palmer isn't overrated. The guy is one of the best QB's in the NFL. The only thing that could stop him is setbacks from his injury. I think you hit the NFC right on the money. I totally think LaVar is overrated and Jake Delhomme is underrated.

I see were you think Corey Dillon could be overrated. But he did have some really good years on alot of bad Bengals teams in his prime. I would like to see Dillon in his prime with the talent the Bengals have now around him. That could be interesting.

For the AFC overrated I would go with Ray Lewis.
For the AFC underrted I like Rudi Johnson.

19ward86
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM

My Picks For AFC:
Overrated AFC-
1. Carson Palmer
Underrated AFC-
1. Hines Ward

My Picks For NFC:
Overrated NFC-
Underrated NFC-
1. Larry Fitzgerald

fitzgerald and boldin were actually named the best recieving tangent in the nfl.

08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I mean, I give you props....great post...I like the way you defended each player on why you put them there. I agree with your players for the most part. For a girl....your very knowledgable...good post.

Thank You.

08-11-2006, 03:36 PM
fitzgerald and boldin were actually named the best recieving tangent in the nfl.

Where did you read that??

LuckyNumber7
08-11-2006, 03:59 PM
i wouldnt of said"for a girl" thats not right,haha

I meant...that it was very knowledgable from a girl standpoint. Thats all. Anyway...it was very knowledgable.

augustashark
08-11-2006, 04:02 PM
AFC overrated-P. Manning-Don't give me all the BS about how good his stats are. Kurt Warner had the same kind of talent around him and he went to the SB twice. With that much talent and can't even make the big game then in my mind your overrated.

AFC underrated-T. Brady-This guy needs a city in Mass named after him! Hell George Washington don't have nothing on this guy.

NFC overrated-M. Vick-Hands down.

NFC underrated-J. Jones-He is a really good back. Check the stats he had against Carolina last year.....Huge!

19ward86
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
i was watching espn and they went over the top 5 recieving tagents. and i was just joking about the girl thing.

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 07:40 PM
AFC Overrated: Ray Lewis..
It is 2006..what have you done lately rayray..(besides run away from porter to the safety of your bus)..you little Mary. The most physical aspect of his game over the last three years is that ridiculous dance during introductions. Without his knife..he is about as intimidating as Haley Joel Osment ..(and coincidently..they both see dead people)

AFC Underrated: Dunta Robinson..
one of the hardest hitting corners I have seen in a while...He is a rare talent in being extremly proficient at the run and the pass

NFC Overrated: Roy Williams..
ROY...the reason you had to grab people from behind was because 1) They had CAUGHT the ball in your area...2) You were OUT OF POSITION!!! Catching someone from behind does not make you a good defensive player..it makes you a FAST defensive player!

NFC Underrated: Patrick Kearney..
Started 96 games in a row...intense...(reminds me of Steeler mentality) ..he is one of those players that makes everyone around him a better player.great post. i dont think i could come up with any better candidates. the haley joel osment stuff was hilarious. but i will add some honorable mentions.

over rated afc- chad johnson. if i hear anyone else call him the best wr in the game, i will puke. he hasnt even led the league in any statistical category yet. it must run in the family. if you ask his cousin keyshawn he will tell you HE is the best wr. chad is a self produced hype/entertainment machine. if i were starting a team i would definitely want moss, owens, harrison, holt, boldin, fitzgerald, or possibly s. smith or hines over him.

underrated afc homer pick- would have to be willie parker. hes not the best but faces the most doubt and scrutiny. hell if he were a rookie last year he wouldve possibly won rookie of the year award. his numbers were very similar to the sensation cadillac williams. trent green has done well with a te, and rb, but very average wr's

overrated nfc- hard to argue with mike vick. i still have seen more great runs from kordell stewart rather than vick. (lets see vick bust of an 80 yarder). kordell was probably overrated to but since vick came along all of kordells minor accomplishments have been erased. he caught some killer passes, made some excellent runs and played in a sb and 2 additional afc champ games. kordell was slash, vick is flash.

underrated nfc- probably the toughest. i like the kerney (thinking outside the box) pick. joe horn has put up a great career. and you rarely hear about deangello hall unless hes shutting down t.o. on a national televised game or if mouth johnson is saying he is the upcoming opponent he anticipates facing the most.

CantStop85
08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
if i were starting a team i would definitely want moss, owens over him.
:sofunny:
I you did think this, I would definitely call you crazy, old sport.

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
:sofunny:
I you did think this, I would definitely call you crazy, old sport.tha rock?

???›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ??Š??‰?›??—œ?”???‹ ??†’???Š???Ÿ??Š??„?œ‹?™??…???”???€???? ???›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ??Š??‰?›????†’???Š???Ÿ ??Š??„?œ‹?™??…???”???€???ˆ ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ??Š??‰?›??—œ?”???‹ ??†’???Š???Ÿ??Š????›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—? ?œ??Š??‰?›??—œ?”???‹ ??†’???Š???Ÿ??Š??„?œ‹?™??…???”???€???„ ?œ‹?™??…???”???€?????›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ ??Š??‰?›??—œ?”???‹ ??†’???Š???Ÿ???›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ?? ???€??????›??ˆ?ˆ??•†??™??•??‹?‘—??œ? ?Š??‰?›??—œ?”???‹ ??†’???Š???Ÿ??Š??„?œ‹?

pssst. moss and owens have actually won playoff games and led in statistical categories. thats without even trying to be good teammates or giving it their all on every down. t.o. tried to fight hugh douglass (who he could probably beat). cj tried to fight a coach whom he would get whipped by. :sofunny:

BBC
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I really don't understand all of the votes for Mike Vick. I agree that he's not very good, but obviously everyone on this site feels the same way, and just about everyone else out there feels the same way. Again, I'm not disputing the fact that he isn't the most talented guy out there, but in order to be over-rated - don't people have to actually feel he's a good player first?

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I really don't understand all of the votes for Mike Vick. I agree that he's not very good, but obviously everyone on this site feels the same way, and just about everyone else out there feels the same way. Again, I'm not disputing the fact that he isn't the most talented guy out there, but in order to be over-rated - don't people have to actually feel he's a good player first?he is still a top jersey seller and the overrating comes from the media pretty much. i dont hear that hes not very good but that the falcons coaching staff just needs to unleash hinm and let him run around before he reaches his true capabilities. you still hear every once in a while that he is the michael jordan of football.

im a little more suprised of eli manning being called over rated. sure he gets alot of media but he plays in the media capital of the world. peyton manning and tim duncan both received tons of media for staying and playing their senior season. both were highly anticipated draft picks. if jarrett payton were a 1st round draft pick, im sure he would have alot of media action too. i hear more objective scrutiny of this being elis year to prove hes worth it more than i hear people slobbing on his knob.

CantStop85
08-11-2006, 08:53 PM
pssst. moss and owens have actually led in statistical categories.
You're right, leading the talentless AFC in receiving is just unacceptable. If you can't lead the entire NFL in receiving you're just overrated.

thats without even trying to be good teammates or giving it their all on every down.
True, I wish Chad had enough talent to where he didn't have to get along with his teammates or try out on the field.

Your arguments overwhelm me, Tony...you win...Chad Johnson is overrated.

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 09:28 PM
You're right, leading the talentless AFC in receiving is just unacceptable. If you can't lead the entire NFL in receiving you're just overrated.

True, I wish Chad had enough talent to where he didn't have to get along with his teammates or try out on the field.

Your arguments overwhelm me, Tony...you win...Chad Johnson is overrated.youre not the best when youre production on the field isnt the best. steve smith lead the LEAGUE in passin yards last year. 2 cardinals had more receptions. moss was injured, t.o. was suspended. hines ward was the sb mvp. c.j. simply isnt the best in the league yet he's talked about like he is.

leave it to a young whippersnapper who cant remember what jerry rice is all about, to think he is.

chad johnson has never had more than 1500 yds rec.
never had more than 10 td's in a season,
or never had more than 100 receptions in a season.
he has never lead the league in ANY statistical category.
he is overrated.

sorry if you cant grasp that. not even top 5 let alone the best.

CantStop85
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
steve smith lead the LEAGUE in passin yards last year.
Really? I thought that was Tom Brady.

2 cardinals had more receptions. moss was injured, t.o. was suspended. hines ward was the sb mvp. c.j. simply isnt the best in the league yet he's talked about like he is.
2 cardinals were on one of the most lopsided offenses in the NFL...they're good, but they also get a lot more balls thrown their way and even then Chad had more yards than both of them. Moss is done as a top 5 receiver in this league. T.O. can't even get on the field long enough to outperform anyone. Hines Ward was the superbowl MVP so he's better? OK, well Dexter Jackson was superbowl MVP, I say he's better than Troy Polamalu.

sorry if you cant grasp that. not even top 5 let alone the best.
I don't think he's the best although you could argue it, I do however think he's top 3 and unquestionably top 5.

3rd in the NFL with 1432 receiving yards. (1st in the AFC)
5th in the NFL with 97 receptions. (1st in the AFC)
9th in the NFL with 9 receiving TD's. (5th in the AFC)
1st in the NFL with 74 catches for a first down - I like this stat.

The only one of those categories in which he is not top 5 is receiving TD's. Chad is far and away the best receiver in the AFC (honorable mention to Hines Ward) and one of the best in the entire NFL. I'm guessing most of this board would agree with that.

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Really? I thought that was Tom Brady.

2 cardinals were on one of the most lopsided offenses in the NFL...they're good, but they also get a lot more balls thrown their way and even then Chad had more yards than both of them. Moss is done as a top 5 receiver in this league. T.O. can't even get on the field long enough to outperform anyone. Hines Ward was the superbowl MVP so he's better? OK, well Dexter Jackson was superbowl MVP, I say he's better than Troy Polamalu.

I don't think he's the best although you could argue it, I do however think he's top 3 and unquestionably top 5.

3rd in the NFL with 1432 receiving yards. (1st in the AFC)
5th in the NFL with 97 receptions. (1st in the AFC)
9th in the NFL with 9 receiving TD's. (5th in the AFC)
1st in the NFL with 74 catches for a first down - I like this stat.

The only one of those categories in which he is not top 5 is receiving TD's. Chad is far and away the best receiver in the AFC (honorable mention to Hines Ward) and one of the best in the entire NFL. I'm guessing most of this board would agree with that.while i appreciate and definitely appreciate the thoughts and opinions of "most" of those on this board, they dont dictate what i think or know.

you try and poo-poo a receiveng tandem such as fitzgerald and boldin, or harrison and wayne, yet you try to present johnson and douchmanzadeh as one of the best.

you easilly throw out steve smith and torry holt.

you compare the career of hines ward and the skills of t. polamalu to dexter jackson.

you think chad is better than hines, ignoring the fact that he "gets alot more balls thrown his way"

you have an opinion that randy moss is done. randy has accomplished more than chad ever will. chad was even better than jerry rice in the year rice was hurt. that doesnt mean chad is a better receiver than rice.

you obviously forgot t.o. getting on the field in the superbowl, or t.o. gatching a game winning catch in the playoffs, or t.o. setting the record for most completions in a game, or catching more than 10 td's in a season.

you obviously forget that my points will be much more valid and stronger than yours.

based on statistics alone i rank johnson in the top 5-10. as far as being able to contribute to a championship season i rank him 10 - 15.

Sharkissle29
08-12-2006, 01:44 PM
AFC
overrated: Ray Lewis
Underrated: Keisel

NFC
overrated: Vick, Urlacher
underrated: Chris Cooley

Raider Nation
08-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Overrated- Eli Manning & Mike Vick
Underrated- Lamont Jordan

WWIIOwheelz
08-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Underrated- Lamont Jordan

I hope so! He was my #1 FF pick this year. Shell's making adjustments to the left side of the O line, and my buddy, the Raiders fan, tells me that's going to be a god thing for Jordan.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Dude it's a contradiction to say Palmer is overrated because it's too early and say Fitzgerald is underrated...wouldn't that be premature too. I've followed Palmer his whole career and was disillusioned when I found out he went to the AFC North. He is the best pure QB in the NFL. He's already proved that his USC career was not a fluke. The games against Notre Dame and then Michigan in the Rose Bowl were clinics. He's better than Leinart as a Trojan.

Thankfully for us the Bengals are not a complete team. That being said I wouldn't trade Ben for anyone - he's a Steeler.

Aaron Smith is underrated. I think Chad Johnson is overrated because of the self-promotion.

Roy Williams Dallas -overrated many underrated but Kevin Jones in Detriot

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Too lazy to read the entire thread...someone said Palmer is over rated??

:dang: :dang:

AFC over rated: Ray Lewis..Ray Ray has lost several step steps
AFC under rated: easy...Farrior

NFC Over rated...lol..Vick would be piling on...I say Urlacher
NFC under rated: Delhomme

SteelCityMan786
08-12-2006, 10:56 PM
AFC Biased
Overatted:All of the AFC but the Steelers
Underatted:No one except the Steelers

AFC Reality
Overrated:Ray Lews