PDA

View Full Version : SteelersFever Editorial Special: Faceless Motivator

StainlessStill
11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Faceless Motivator.
November 30th, 2012
-Travis Boariu/StainlessStill

Back on October 21st, the Steelers were entering Cincinnati with a one game losing streak. It wasnít any kind of losing streak. The week before on Thursday Night Football, the Steelers were upset by the lowly Tennessee Titans, 26-23, only weeks after being upset by the lowly Oakland Raiders, 34-31, both AFC nobodies. The only way to rebound from such a thing would be to earn a must-win on the road against a division foe.

As Pittsburgh entered a huge showdown in week 7 against the hosting Bengals, they once again found themselves down and in a dog fight.

Somebody, anybody, needed to step up and save the season or the Steelers would find themselves in dangerous territory. They were in need of a faceless motivator just waiting to erupt.

Enter Willie Colon.

Years of frustration by the media, owners and fans alike, the leader of the Steelers inconsistent offensive line decided to take matters into his own hands. With the Steelers battling in the trenches, they knew the key to victory was to give running back Jonathan Dwyer, the running back by committee starter of the week, some rushing lanes.

As the team came out flat like any other game of the season, Willie Colon had enough. He took the man in front of him, wrestled him to the ground and bull-dozed his opponent to the point of submission like the man insulted his mother.

Colon continued this nasty beating, carving the enemy into the ground until the whistle blew. This act of anger and motivation had woken the sleeping giant.

The Steelers went on to complete the comeback, winning in Cincinnati and saving their season for the time being. The faceless wonder of the evening, Willie Colon, deserved the accolade of bringing the team back from the depths of defeat as he engineered the fear and physical toughness of what defined the Pittsburgh Steelers lineman of yesteryear.

From that point forward, the re-born Steelers went onto a 4 game winning streak. The Steelers attacked offensively, especially the running backs, responding to Colonís message. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman rushed for over 100 yards a pop over the next 2 games.

Then, a hurricane hit.

Riding an impressive two game winning streak into New York to face the Super Bowl defending Giants, it wasnít supposed to be. The Steelers faced insufferable circumstances to prepare for a football game, as the residents of New York were facing a different kind of insufferable circumstance.

The city known for its lights and glamor was in desperate need of a Giants victory as they laid their heads on the thought of much happier times. Eli Manning and Tom Coughin held those keys with Pittsburgh coming into town. Nobody gave the battle-tested Steelers a shot.

Until a faceless wonder summoned.

As the Steelers looked defeat straight in the eyes (and NO help from the questionable refereeís) Mike Wallace took a standard crossing route and took it to the house, untouched, outrunning the entire city of New York to the endzone with blazing speed the Road Runner would envy.

Those Steelers did it again.

Motivation breathed life into the Steelers as they came back from a big 4th quarter deficit to complete the comeback victory against an emotional Giants team as they established themselves as a nightmarish contender in a weak AFC Conference.

That next week VS Kansas City, the Steelers lost their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, to a nagging shoulder injury. That wasnít the major concern. Roethlisberger was out indefinitely with a life threatening rib injury as they found themselves in a prize fight against the lowly Kansas City Chiefs.

Lawrence Timmons welcomed the challenge.

Timmons was the faceless motivator on that rainy Monday night as he took a Matt Cassel interception in overtime into Chiefs territory that led to a Shaun Suisham game-winning field goal. Although they won the battle, Pittsburgh ultimately lost the war with Big Benís injuries.

Fast forward to the present day and the Steelers find themselves in familiar territory. They are faced with a three game losing streak and in desperate need of a faceless motivator.

Willie Colon is facing knee problems and is uncertain going into this matchup at Baltimore. Mike Wallace is demoted on the depth chart, sharing playing time with gritty wideout Emmanuel Sanders.

Lawrence Timmons continues to impress, coming off a pick-6 performance against the lowly Cleveland Browns, who, like Oakland and Tennessee, pulled off a stunning upset against the watered down Pittsburgh Steelers.

If the Steelers have any fight left into this turbulence of a season, they are in need of a faceless motivator. Whoís willing to step up, is the million dollar question.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Terminator
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Troy.

He will get his 4th career strip-sack on Joe Flacco. Calling it now.

BleedPurple
11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Faceless Motivator.
November 30th, 2012
-Travis Boariu/StainlessStill

...Steelers were upset by the lowly Tennessee Titans...the lowly Oakland Raiders, both AFC nobodies...they found themselves in a prize fight against the lowly Kansas City Chiefs...a pick-6 performance against the lowly Cleveland Browns, who, like Oakland and Tennessee, pulled off a stunning upset...

Think we need to go find a thesaurus and get you some synonyms for lowly.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the article.

StainlessStill
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Nah, I used it repeatedly for a reason. I really wanted to emphasize the "lowly" term so it is repeated over and over again as it sticks out to make people understand where our season was really lost if we end up on the outside looking in.

Regardless, I'm glad a Birdfan enjoyed it. I think.

steelfury02
11-30-2012, 11:35 AM

like i said - language police

Bayz101
11-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Another great article! I should be able to publish these as soon as my laptop's new charge cable arrives.

steelfury02
11-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Another great article! I should be able to publish these as soon as my laptop's new charge cable arrives.

charge cable - yours too huh? I guess I wrap the wire around too many times - I got some packing tape keepi:drink:ng it together

Bayz101
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
charge cable - yours too huh? I guess I wrap the wire around too many times - I got some packing tape keepi:drink:ng it together

I have a dog, and I ran out of tape. :chuckle: Ebay is your friend.

StainlessStill
11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a dog, and I ran out of tape. :chuckle: Ebay is your friend.

Tico actin' up again? Go out, buy a Ravens mat and let him shit all over it as a punishment & then reward him! :tt04:

steelfury02
11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Tico actin' up again? Go out, buy a Ravens mat and let him shit all over it as a punishment & then reward him! :tt04:

Thanks Bayz - stainless - that is too much time and money that only benefits the Ravens organization - I think instead I'll have my niece draw a picture of a raven-like bird, and then let my mini-dachshund either poop or hump it - it really is a toss up with her lol

StainlessStill
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks Bayz - stainless - that is too much time and money that only benefits the Ravens organization - I think instead I'll have my niece draw a picture of a raven-like bird, and then let my mini-dachshund either poop or hump it - it really is a toss up with her lol

True, fury. Either that or put it up for sale on Ebay and let some idiot from Baltimore buy it, runny diarrhea and all.

They wouldn't know the difference!

steelfury02
11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
True, fury. Either that or put it up for sale on Ebay and let some idiot from Baltimore buy it, runny diarrhea and all.

They wouldn't know the difference!

lol - I could (/j/j of course) always say it was Flacco's underwear after the 2008 AFC championship game - he didn't sign it though :(